Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-05-2009, 10:23 PM   #551
NiteMaestro
High School JV

HELL YEAH!!!
That's what I'm talking about!!!

GO HOKIES!!!

It's time for Beamer Ball to make it happen on KO now.

Not to mention, a hell of a block by him on KR. I like the kid.

Last edited by NiteMaestro : 09-05-2009 at 10:24 PM. Reason: Give a blocker props.
NiteMaestro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 10:24 PM   #552
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Needless to say Saban has enough material from this game for the rest of the season. If they can clean enough of this stuff up, Ole Miss will get a run for their money. This reeks of a first game.
Old 09-05-2009, 10:25 PM   #553
NiteMaestro
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
Needless to say Saban has enough material from this game for the rest of the season. If they can clean enough of this stuff up, Ole Miss will get a run for their money. This reeks of a first game.

Agreed.
Watching it, and thinking about it, 'Bama dominated. VT was opportunistic.
Old 09-05-2009, 10:28 PM   #554
NiteMaestro
High School JV

Come on...
Give me another stop VT... Please...

(Update... Maryland is getting mollywhopped 6 - 24)

Screw you Kam... You've been horrible tonight.
You need to get it together, seriously.
Old 09-05-2009, 10:29 PM   #555
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

ROLLLL TIIIIIDE
k0ruptr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 10:30 PM   #556
NiteMaestro
High School JV

*cries a lil on the inside*

WHYYYYYY!!!!

Come on...
Old 09-05-2009, 10:31 PM   #557
NiteMaestro
High School JV

10 - 10
LSU Wash.

Tight game.
Old 09-05-2009, 10:33 PM   #558
tarcone
Coordinator

Lou Saban is just a great coach. I could see Alabama in the BCS bowl.
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 10:34 PM   #559
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
its 10 pm CST and I have no desire to quit watching college football

Ditto. This has been a fun day. It's good to have football back.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 10:39 PM   #560
Tigercat
College Starter

This LSU team thus far looks just as lost on defense as last year. I can only hope that Chavis can undo the lack of any coaching from last year before the season ends. The offense I am not worried about, Crowton will find a way to get it moving soon enough.
Tigercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 10:43 PM   #561
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

This reminds of Washington/Ohio State a couple years back, when Washington hung around until halftime, then OSU blew their doors off. LSU by 17 or so, I'm gonna guess. I hope I'm wrong.
Old 09-05-2009, 10:44 PM   #562
NiteMaestro
High School JV

GG 'Bama
Old 09-05-2009, 10:47 PM   #563
NiteMaestro
High School JV

I'm off to bed folks. Cya

Did I get the record for most posts in a day? lol
Old 09-05-2009, 10:51 PM   #564
dwardzala
H.S. Freshman Team

Tough loss for VT - Bama deserved the win.

This will be the toughest D that VT will face all year. Even with the loss, I think they are still the team to beat in the ACC. And, now they have no added pressure of going undefeated.
dwardzala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 11:06 PM   #565
Tigercat
College Starter

This ESPN broadcast may be the worst night game college broadcast I have seen on ESPN. Shaky cameras everywhere in the stadium, many many mispronounced (and flat out wrong) names, and the biggest TD play of the game they miss while going to the studio. Do they show an actual replay of the ~50 yard TD play? Of course not. Maybe they are doing this on purpose so I will pay less attention to how sloppy LSU looks.
Tigercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 11:17 PM   #566
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Here's something I watched for. Saban talked about 'Bama's lack of strength and conditioning when he got there. He's huge on this. Last year 'Bama mauled it's early opponents and basically gave up vastly in the second half. Once they stopped blowing teams out in the first half, it's like they did a 180. The 4th quarter became theirs. I considered it a "jock strap" game. How long did you think you can hold 'Bama's jock strap? Teams hung with them for 3 quarters and then suddenly the weight kicked in. Florida basically did it to 'Bama because, let's be honest, Florida had the horsepower to do it. I expected 'Bama to do the same for the bowl game, but, um, let's forget that one. :P

Point being, either you get up big on 'Bama before the fourth quarter, or have the horsepower to keep up with them during the 4th quarter when they check your manhood. If you don't, you're going to get beat. Considering how Saban is recruiting, fewer and fewer teams have that kind of horsepower. I could just sense when VT finally caved. Even if they could string together some offense to come back, they found out they couldn't stop 'Bama. 'Bama's offense was pretty brutal early, but by the end put up 498 yards of total offense. On the road. Against what is suppose to be a rather credible team. And 'Bama has a lot to clean up in terms of play. Squee! :P I have no delusions about this year since I think Florida is a lock for the title, but I'm drawing blanks for next year outside of 'Bama and USC for top teams.

And know that I have been up for about 30 hours straight, I'm off to bed.

Last edited by Matthean : 09-05-2009 at 11:18 PM.
Matthean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 11:23 PM   #567
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Cal is taking Maryland behind, underneath and above the woodshed
Old 09-05-2009, 11:33 PM   #568
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
Cal is taking Maryland behind, underneath and above the woodshed

ACC= Overrated
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 11:33 PM   #569
larrymcg421
Head Coach

What a miserable day for the ACC.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 11:37 PM   #570
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
ACC= Overrated

How can you overrate something that you don't rate at all?
Old 09-05-2009, 11:40 PM   #571
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

How did Hawaii need to score in the final 90 seconds to beat Central Arkansas at home? Okay, I know, 4 turnovers but still ...
Old 09-05-2009, 11:59 PM   #572
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
How did Hawaii need to score in the final 90 seconds to beat Central Arkansas at home? Okay, I know, 4 turnovers but still ...

I don't know. Maybe you should ask [email protected].

Old 09-06-2009, 12:01 AM   #573
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
Maybe you should ask [email protected].

LOL
Old 09-06-2009, 12:04 AM   #574
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

all the eneegy seems to have been zapped from UW. We need a big play here to get some life.
Old 09-06-2009, 12:23 AM   #575
larrymcg421
Head Coach

What an ugly kick.

Old 09-06-2009, 02:05 AM   #576
MJ4H
Coordinator

Just back from the Arkansas game in Little Rock. Easy win, but that was expected. Defense didn't answer many questions, but held Mo. State pretty well, especially when compared to last year's opener, which was definitely a sign of bad things to come. Everything seems bright for the future this year, from the very opening kick-off. Last year, opening kick fumbled away. This year, opening kick housed for a 6-0 lead.

Ryan Mallett is the real freaking deal and will break every record at this school. His first start and the single game total passing yards record goes down by almost 100 yards. Started off 9 for 9 with 167 yards then didn't play a whole lot in the second half. Tyler Wilson is a very capable back-up but clearly not the rockstar QB that Mallett is.

Deep stable of running backs, too. Michael Smith is great just like last year, but Ronnie Wingo turned heads several times tonight. Deep receiver unit got a little thinner when senior London Crawford went down with a shoulder/collarbone injury.

Mo. State oddly decided to stack the box with 8-9 people all night which limited the rushing attack but allowed Mallett to unleash all kinds of hell through the air, and he was barely even pressured. Still managed 160 or so on the ground and 460 or so through the air. Petrino said every time he called a running play he was asking himself why he was even doing it since MSU was just stacking so much. In fact, Arkansas never even tried to run outside the tackles. It was extremely vanilla play-calling.

Overall, a much better start to the season than last year, and I'm sky high on this team. Defense much improved, offense is very potent, offensive line is leagues better (one of the worst in the country last year), and even special teams looks improved. Gonna be an exciting year if nothing else.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 02:26 AM   #577
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Heh, sounds like Coach PJ had about the same impression of today's GT performance that I did

Tech wins, but pugnacious Paul plainly isn't pleased | Mark Bradley
That Georgia Tech was never in distress against Jacksonville State didn’t mollify the Jackets’ coach. If anything, it made him ever madder. Jonathan Dwyer scored on the game’s first snap and that, in PJ’s mind, “probably wasn’t the best thing that could have happened.” Because it didn’t give Tech cause to buckle down and execute. It didn’t give it cause to do anything except flail for the final three quarters.

Tech led 17-0 after 15 minutes but outscored the Gamecocks by only three points over the next 45. It managed three touchdowns over that span, one of them a punt return. It lost three fumbles, all three by quarterbacks. Said PJ: “Maybe we should have knocked the crap out of them in fall camp and they’d have hung on to the ball.”

Asked about his team’s passing game: Johnson said: “It was OK — about like everything else.”

His offensive line? “About like everything else.”

About his second-team defense, which yielded a touchdown on the game’s final drive: “If something like that had happened to me, I’m going to be ["p"-word here]. I’m not going to be smiling.”

Did he catch some second-teamers smiling after JSU’s touchdown? “No,” he said, without smiling.” If I did, I would have went and got ‘em. But I didn’t see anybody looking crushed, either.”

Johnson believes these Jackets have the capacity to be really good, perhaps better than good. “I’m trying to raise the level of expectations,” he said. “We could come in here and say, ‘We gained 500 yards [actually 497],’ but we didn’t play the way we needed to play to reach the level I want us to reach.”

On why Tech ran only 11 third-quarter plays: “Because we weren’t worth a crap. We missed every read on the option.”

On his displeasure over a missed PAT: “I don’t think you should be high-fiving each other when you miss a extra point that a junior high school team could make. I don’t think you should have a group discussion and sing, ‘Kumbaya.’ ”
Old 09-06-2009, 02:38 AM   #578
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Well, Washington looks like a better team, certainly far more energetic and better coached, but moral victories still don't count in the "W" column last time I checked.

On the one hand, it was fun to see the Huskies playing well against a supposed SEC power; on the other hand it was frustrating as hell to see them continually shoot themselves in the foot and lose a game that they appeared quite capable of winning.

I'm encouraged by the big edge in yardage we had, Locker's improved passing, what appears to be much better coaching, a return to hard hitting defenses that don't get rolled like little bitches and seeing a team that clearly is excited to play football and believes in themselves. But the mistakes need to be cleaned up - way too many penalties, and as much as Locker has improved as a passer, still too many mistakes (though his WR's need to help him out more by not dropping so many).

This Husky team appears capable of beating a lot of teams this year based off of today - they won't win the conference, but they could finish in the upper half...
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 04:59 AM   #579
fantom1979
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlifornia View Post
Well, if anyone can afford it, it's one of the "NFL Jr." programs: OU, USC, Florida, Texas, OSU, Michigan, Raiders, Lions, Rams

Fixed that for you
fantom1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 05:07 AM   #580
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

Quote:

I'm not sure but It's a little better then Virginia, Temple, and Duke did against FCS opponents.
k0ruptr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 05:43 AM   #581
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by k0ruptr View Post
I'm not sure but It's a little better then Virginia, Temple, and Duke did against CAA opponents.

Fixed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 07:17 AM   #582
NiteMaestro
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
Here's something I watched for. Saban talked about 'Bama's lack of strength and conditioning when he got there. He's huge on this. Last year 'Bama mauled it's early opponents and basically gave up vastly in the second half. Once they stopped blowing teams out in the first half, it's like they did a 180. The 4th quarter became theirs. I considered it a "jock strap" game. How long did you think you can hold 'Bama's jock strap? Teams hung with them for 3 quarters and then suddenly the weight kicked in. Florida basically did it to 'Bama because, let's be honest, Florida had the horsepower to do it. I expected 'Bama to do the same for the bowl game, but, um, let's forget that one. :P

Point being, either you get up big on 'Bama before the fourth quarter, or have the horsepower to keep up with them during the 4th quarter when they check your manhood. If you don't, you're going to get beat. Considering how Saban is recruiting, fewer and fewer teams have that kind of horsepower. I could just sense when VT finally caved. Even if they could string together some offense to come back, they found out they couldn't stop 'Bama. 'Bama's offense was pretty brutal early, but by the end put up 498 yards of total offense. On the road. Against what is suppose to be a rather credible team. And 'Bama has a lot to clean up in terms of play. Squee! :P I have no delusions about this year since I think Florida is a lock for the title, but I'm drawing blanks for next year outside of 'Bama and USC for top teams.

And know that I have been up for about 30 hours straight, I'm off to bed.

Ya'll did great 'Bama. I saw when we just got too gassed too. When ya'll finally managed to put some drives together, it went downhill, but that is Bud's style of defense.
That being sad, Kam was a big problem, giving up big plays that kept those drives alive.

Refine your defense a tad, and gain a lil more trust in ur receiver corps outside of Jones, and ya'll will be a strong contender for the title this year (IMO).

VT is a great program, but never been our focus in Blacksburg. Best of luck this season fellas. We'l just focus on the ACC for now, and be a spoiler team for some unsuspecting sap.

Nebraska, ya'll better be set when ya'll step into Lane
Old 09-06-2009, 11:12 AM   #583
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Wow.. what an awesome game yesterday. Gabbert looks to have everything.. can't wait to see more of him in action.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 02:30 PM   #584
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
Wow.. what an awesome game yesterday. Gabbert looks to have everything.. can't wait to see more of him in action.

He struggled early and STILL had over 300 yards passing in 3 quarters against an Illini defense that has at least 3 NFL players.

Glad you had a good time.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 02:44 PM   #585
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

There is a rumor out there that Bradford actually tore his rotator cuff. Any one else heard that? I hope it isn't true. I wanted Oklahoma to lose a game or two this year, but I'd hate to see him miss the entire year.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 02:48 PM   #586
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
There is a rumor out there that Bradford actually tore his rotator cuff. Any one else heard that? I hope it isn't true. I wanted Oklahoma to lose a game or two this year, but I'd hate to see him miss the entire year.

If so, this would be a prime example of why you don't skip the draft when your value is at its peak, unfortunately

(I say "unfortunately" because I would rather see players stay in school)

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 09-06-2009 at 02:49 PM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 02:49 PM   #587
MJ4H
Coordinator

Ole Miss and Memphis on ESPN now. Ole Miss looks to be dominating physically so far, leads 3-0 early.
Old 09-06-2009, 02:55 PM   #588
fantom1979
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
If so, this would be a prime example of why you don't skip the draft when your value is at its peak, unfortunately

SI

I agree completely here. I love seeing the guys stay in school, it makes for a better college game........ But if you are a projected 1st round pick, there is no way you should be staying in school.
fantom1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 03:40 PM   #589
MJ4H
Coordinator

Terrible call, offensive player through the DB to the ground and gets rewarded with a defensive PI. Wow, terrible.
Old 09-06-2009, 03:44 PM   #590
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Ole Miss not looking like a #8 team so far.

Old 09-06-2009, 04:06 PM   #591
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

John....GT may have just got a guaranteed victory Thursday night.

CJ Spiller's "sprained toe" may actually be a hamstring injury, possibly a tear....looks like for the 2nd year in a row GT gets to avoid the Spiller show
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 04:27 PM   #592
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post

SI

I agree as well. Leave at your peak. Look at Brian Brohm, went from a top 5-10 pick to getting cut by the Packers.
Old 09-06-2009, 04:56 PM   #593
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiteMaestro View Post
Impressive.
Do you think they may break the top 25 this year?

Not sure if you were serious about this or just being saracstic?...Air Force has been in the Top 25 numerous time and were number 3 back in 85 and 98 so it is not unheard of. I would say though I am biased thst they are best of the military schools over the last 40 years though in the last couple Navy has had our numbe rin the annual face-off. They look to be real strong and are closer to the "Big three" of the Mountain West than the rest of the teams in there. If they can beat Minnesota which I believe they will and upset one of the three BYU, TCU or Utah they have a great chance of going 10-2.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 05:31 PM   #594
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Dogs starting tackle out for season*| ajc.com
Georgia's football team will be without starting offensive tackle Trinton Sturdivant for the remainder of the season, coach Mark Richt said today.

Sturdivant, who missed all of last season with three torn ligaments in his left knee, tore the anterior cruciate ligament in the same knee in Saturday's season opener at Oklahoma State.

Sturdivant and Georgia coaches were hopeful Saturday night that the latest injury would not prove severe, but an MRI revealed otherwise today.

"If he rehabs the way he did a year ago, he will be able to play again next year," Richt said. "It is one piece of ligament that can be repaired and replaced. And then you start over again. Psychologically, it's tough.

"We know Trinton is going to battle. He's got goals in his life, and he is going to come back again. He'll be back next year."

My feelings about the Dawgs are well known but I wish Sturdivant well in his recovery. That's some seriously shitty luck to work your way back only to have it happen again.
Old 09-06-2009, 06:47 PM   #595
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Colorado State looks really good early on, their QB looks really composed.
Old 09-06-2009, 06:58 PM   #596
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
He struggled early and STILL had over 300 yards passing in 3 quarters against an Illini defense that has at least 3 NFL players.

Glad you had a good time.

We had end zone tickets, so I came home today and re-watched the game. He did struggle with some pressure, but really threw some great passes and really showed he can be mobile when he wants too.

Alexander looked great and Perry showed what a threat he can be.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 08:37 PM   #597
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Terrible throw there by the CSU QB there. He had two guys wide open and throws it right to the DB.

Old 09-06-2009, 09:32 PM   #598
larrymcg421
Head Coach

CSU's coach looks like Ed Helms.

Old 09-06-2009, 09:54 PM   #599
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Crazy weekend where I had to root for BYU and CSU to win, but it's for the greater good. Looking for Wyoming to do the unthinking about 7200 feet next week against Texas, even though they barely got past Weber State, I'm chalking that up to an entirely new system. And at least they scored points, which the Pokes have been notoriously bad at over the years.

If nothing else, I'm hoping they can go 1-1 against Texas and CU the next few weeks before heading into the conference schedule, as it'd be great to see them win 7 games and get picked for a bowl, even if it's just the stupid New Mexico Bowl

Last edited by Young Drachma : 09-06-2009 at 09:56 PM.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 12:53 AM   #600
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Quote:
Make it 63-7 Tennessee, second TD for 3rd RB David Oku.
It was definitely nice to see the Vols with good offensive production, WKU or not. Last season's offense was horrible, regardless of who we were playing.

I really liked seeing the amount of playing time the freshmen got. Kiffin certainly lived up to his side of the bargain in that regard.

Crompton still concerns me with the amount of batted balls.