Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-02-2011, 09:43 PM   #551
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

An attacking lineup for USA against Costa Rica tonight:

Howard; Chandler, Orozco Fiscal, Bocanegra (c), Castillo; Donovan, Edu, Torres; Rogers, Altidore, Shea
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 10:10 PM   #552
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Fuck off tennis, we know Roddick is going to beat this no-name. Get to the soccer.
Old 09-02-2011, 11:11 PM   #553
MrBug708
Head Coach

Torres, Shea, and Chandler

Castillo is growing on me, he draws a lot of fouls
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 11:12 PM   #554
B & B
College Benchwarmer

Location: A sports era long ago when everything didnt require a Nike logo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Fo View Post
Fuck off tennis, we know Roddick is going to beat this no-name. Get to the soccer.

You dont know jack sock.
Old 09-02-2011, 11:13 PM   #555
Easy Mac

Rogers is useless.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 12:14 AM   #556
Easy Mac

What we got from the US:

15 minutes of excellent soccer
25 minutes of competent soccer
50 minutes of mediocre to horrible soccer.

Can we all agree that while Bob Bradley likely didn't need a second term, he was far from the problem.
Old 09-03-2011, 12:17 AM   #557
Easy Mac

Also, are Shea and Kljesten allowed to play in the same side of the field, or would their hair cause space and time to collapse.

Seriously, we lost to fucking Costa Rica at home. That's fucking pathetic.
Old 09-03-2011, 12:24 AM   #558
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Castillo kept pissing me off, he lost the ball while dribbling in the middle of the field at least four times.

Hopefully a tap in against Mexico doesn't keep Rogers in the team for long.
Old 09-03-2011, 04:09 AM   #559
RainMaker
General Manager

Bob Bradley doesn't look so bad anymore.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 04:12 AM   #560
whomario
Pro Starter

You need to realize that change doesn´t happen overnight and that a guy like Klinsmann will need time to get his ideas across to the players, especially considering his aproach is very different from what most have been used to. It doesn´t help that the roster simply isn´t all that good right now, period.

I mean, there´s still 3 years to the next WC, just give it a little time you guys

I know it´s easy for me to talk, but i´ve been there with german soccer which had to be dragged from the dead by both Klinsmann and Loew (as well as the FA finally getting their shit together in terms of youth development). the 2002 WC was a huge aberation with a ton of luck (in-game as well as the draw), in reality from 1998-2004 german soccer was plain dreadfull.

Now the team beats Austria 6:2 (and it could have been 9 or 10 goals) and people still consider it a so-so performance de to a couple defensive mistakes Klose gets his 62nd goal (although in reality he barely touched the shot by Özil ) , Özil scores twice and Podolski, Schuerrle and Goetze get in on the fun. Goetze´s nice little goal :

I don´t expect the US to become a contender by 2014 (the player material just isn´t there), but you won´t ever get there without making fundamental changes and sometimes you need someone with an outside-view/fresh ideas.

As far as yesterday´s matchday, not a lot of surprises in Europe. The Faroe Islands only loose 0:1 at home to Italy, that´d been great if they god a point there ...
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 04:22 AM   #561
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac View Post
Seriously, we lost to fucking Costa Rica at home. That's fucking pathetic.

I haven't seen the match yet (I'm in England at the moment) BUT I have been warning anyone who will listen that the US team will go through a rough patch as they adapt ... changing from a well drilled side who play safe to a side which plays more fluid attacking football is a huge change in mentality and focus for the players, in the interim things will feel painful ....

However if the course is kept and the players are able to adapt then it'll be a big (and needed) step forward. The size of the US and the raw talent held within it, with the right coach and approach there is no reason that the national side shouldn't one day be truly competitive (this won't be a short-term thing, it'll be a decade from now imho).

As an aside - I think Bradley did a very good job with the US national side; they were organized and well drilled; however they lacked the spark and unpredictable nature which you generally need to beat the better sides - don't get me wrong btw England are often the same way (we have a small handful of players who are truly creative and comfortable on the ball, the type of player who can cause problems for better teams on their day BUT generally our national team gets by on being organised, hardworking and efficient at set-pieces).
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 04:24 AM   #562
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

See if I'd seen whomario's thread while I was typing I could have just posted 'what he said'
Old 09-03-2011, 06:54 AM   #563
rowech
Pro Starter

This is a three year project...not a month long one.

It's time to consider taking a midfielder and making them a left back. It sucks but it is what it is. At some point you just have to put talent on the field to shore up that position. Someone can learn to play it. They won't be happy about it I would guess but it's become clear that out of 300 million people, we don't have one.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 10:01 AM   #564
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by whomario View Post
. It doesn´t help that the roster simply isn´t all that good right now, period.

This. U.S. Soccer does not have currently have the talent to play this brand of football no matter who the coach is.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 10:10 AM   #565
MrBug708
Head Coach

We are 11-12-5 all time vs Costa Rica
Old 09-03-2011, 07:59 PM   #566
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Oh man. This is a bit dated now, but anyone who is familiar with MOTD should get a chuckle out of this.

sovereignstar v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 03:43 AM   #567
AlexB
Pro Starter

Scotland are moaning about the ref giving the Czech Republic a penalty at the end of the game that allowed them to get a 2-2 draw, when there was clearly no contact. No doubt about it: shocking decision and that's when video evidence should be made to punish the player who took the dive.

However, and this is where football managers lose every shred of respect for me, is that they're moaning about the two horrendous penalty decisions at the end of the game - the second being an attempt by Christophe Berra to dive and get the penalty to go back to 3-2.

Get it right: the ref made one terrible penalty decision - both were dives, he got the Czech one wrong ,the Scottish one right. Just because he made one terrible call does not mean he has to make two. The argument 'if he gives the first one he has to give the second' is complete horlicks.

Last edited by AlexB : 09-04-2011 at 03:43 AM.
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 03:50 AM   #568
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Didn't get to see the match as I'm not at home and I was babysitting the niece, but a loss is fine by me. It's a project, as whomario and MV have stated.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 09:59 AM   #569
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

yep, its a long project. we know we can do the boring defensive organized approach. we need to learn to be more creative and aggressive on offense if we are to ever progress as a soccer nation. dont be surprised if Klingsy does do a lot more defensive organized ball during the hex, and tries his offensive/possession approach in friendlies and easy concaf games
bulletsponge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 11:09 AM   #570
MIJB#19
Coordinator

good stuff, sov.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 03:05 PM   #571
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
This is a three year project...not a month long one.

Three year project to do what? I didn't think Bradley was great, but they played at or above their level of talent most of the time.

The team is really bad right now. Really bad. They are getting drilled by Belgium's B squad. As is I'd start to be concerned as to whether they'll have enough to qualify for 2014. It's not like there is a huge margin of error in CONCACAF.

Last edited by RainMaker : 09-06-2011 at 03:07 PM.
Old 09-06-2011, 03:13 PM   #572
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulletsponge View Post
yep, its a long project. we know we can do the boring defensive organized approach. we need to learn to be more creative and aggressive on offense if we are to ever progress as a soccer nation. dont be surprised if Klingsy does do a lot more defensive organized ball during the hex, and tries his offensive/possession approach in friendlies and easy concaf games

Wasn't the offense decent under Bradley? They seemed to be able to score in the WC. Put up 4 goals in group play and that included a couple disallowed goals that should have been. They put up goals in the Confederations Cup against Spain and Brazil. Even put up goals against Mexico in the Gold Cup. The defense seemed to be the issue if anything.

Now they still have the same shitty defense and no semblance of offense.
Old 09-06-2011, 03:48 PM   #573
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Three year project to do what? I didn't think Bradley was great, but they played at or above their level of talent most of the time.

The team is really bad right now. Really bad. They are getting drilled by Belgium's B squad. As is I'd start to be concerned as to whether they'll have enough to qualify for 2014. It's not like there is a huge margin of error in CONCACAF.

The team is in shambles because Bradley played experience (read that as old) players over inexperience (read that as young). It's fine as long as the old guy can hold his own but our old guys couldn't. In addition, he kept with inconsistent players too long and wouldn't give the young guys a chance to see what they could do. Basically, he became comfortable with what he had instead of trying to improve it.
Old 09-06-2011, 03:49 PM   #574
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Wasn't the offense decent under Bradley? They seemed to be able to score in the WC. Put up 4 goals in group play and that included a couple disallowed goals that should have been. They put up goals in the Confederations Cup against Spain and Brazil. Even put up goals against Mexico in the Gold Cup. The defense seemed to be the issue if anything.

Now they still have the same shitty defense and no semblance of offense.

Those goals weren't ever scored on brilliant play. So many of the USA's goals come off of free kicks and corners. There is no real striker on the team and the team really needs two of them instead of continuing to try and play with one.
Old 09-06-2011, 03:52 PM   #575
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:

Enough to qualify for what in 2014?
Old 09-06-2011, 09:35 PM   #576
Blade6119
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
The team is in shambles because Bradley played experience (read that as old) players over inexperience (read that as young). It's fine as long as the old guy can hold his own but our old guys couldn't. In addition, he kept with inconsistent players too long and wouldn't give the young guys a chance to see what they could do. Basically, he became comfortable with what he had instead of trying to improve it.

This

Guys like Shea, Torres, Rodgers...these guys actually have the potential to be starting in future world cups. I have no issue losing friendlies if we are either identifying and bleeding youth or recognizing what players just dont work. So far we are doing that and im quite happy.
It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
Demotivation
Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.
http://www.despair.com/viewall.html
Blade6119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 09:42 PM   #577
RainMaker
General Manager

World Cup. Qualifying starts in less than a year. Not sure how many more friendlies they'll have before then. They'll get into the Hex but there wasn't a ton of seperation last time between 1st and 4th. And that 4th place team was Costa Rica who just stuck it to them on our home turf.
Old 09-06-2011, 11:11 PM   #578
MrBug708
Head Coach

You do know that winning these games are pretty irrelevant in the big picture, right?
Old 09-06-2011, 11:11 PM   #579
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Didn't see this game either (still on vacation), but it's still fine by me.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 11:19 PM   #580
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
You do know that winning these games are pretty irrelevant in the big picture, right?

Yes, but I expected a little improvement. They seem to be getting worse.
Old 09-08-2011, 11:23 AM   #581
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
That wasn't Belgium's B squad, it was definately their A squad. I watched part of that game after Oranje's Euro2012 clincher and saw nothing but first teamers (Lukaku, Mertens, Kompany, Lombaerts). They're a squad with many upcoming players with potential to play up to par with where Belgium was in the 1990's. Doesn't take away that Belgium is the type of squad the USA should play on par with or better against, but your statement is more negative than required.
Old 09-08-2011, 11:29 AM   #582
MIJB#19
Coordinator

I looked up their starting lineup. That was definately the first eleven of Belgium, aside from a couple of injured players.
Old 09-13-2011, 01:22 PM   #583
whomario
Pro Starter

30 minutes till the Champions League starts !

My team Dortmund has been so-so in the Bundesliga so far and lost at home for the first time in a year to newly relegated Hertha Berlin ... Really miss Barios up front, at least Goetze is back for tonight (got a joke of a red card 2 weeks ago in the league).

Still worth checking out the game, the atmosphere in the stadium will be absolutely awesome !

Too bad that Rosicky got injured, would have gotten a great reception back here

I only wish i could find an english language feed ...

Last edited by whomario : 09-13-2011 at 01:24 PM.
Old 09-13-2011, 01:48 PM   #584
MrBug708
Head Coach

That was fast
Old 09-13-2011, 03:37 PM   #585
whomario
Pro Starter

What a goal by Perisic for the 1:1 for Dortmund, left footed volley from 18 metres out right into the top corner !
Old 09-14-2011, 01:05 PM   #586
whomario
Pro Starter

Here is said goal btw :

Old 09-14-2011, 02:18 PM   #587
Easy Mac

Rumor is Timmy Chandler is thinking of going back to play for the German national team.

Soccer By Ives: Chandler rumored to be mulling international choice
Old 09-16-2011, 08:24 AM   #588
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Crazy good goal by Jozy Altidore in Europa League play yesterday:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYWIVLDaP6U

Last edited by cthomer5000 : 09-16-2011 at 08:25 AM.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 09:44 AM   #589
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Now if he can just do that in national team play.
Old 09-16-2011, 09:59 AM   #590
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
Less jetlags, more goals?
Old 09-16-2011, 10:01 AM   #591
Easy Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post

It helps to have a team that can get the ball to you within 40 yards of goal.
Old 09-16-2011, 03:17 PM   #592
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac View Post
It helps to have a team that can get the ball to you within 40 yards of goal.
There are what, 3 players in front of Jozy, 2 more even with him and 1 supporting 5 yards behind there. In USA games, he's lucky to get 1 supporting forward, 1 guy running down a wing and 1-2 support players trailing.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 03:57 PM   #593
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Exactly. All too often with the USMNT the lone striker is on a solo outpost 25 yards ahead of the midfield.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 08:54 AM   #594
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

To steal the sig of cthomer:

Watching Arsenal is like watching a car wreck. But one where, every so often, someone walks over and punches Arsene Wenger in the face as he struggles to free himself from the wreckage.
Old 09-17-2011, 11:07 AM   #596
law90026
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
To steal the sig of cthomer:

Watching Arsenal is like watching a car wreck. But one where, every so often, someone walks over and punches Arsene Wenger in the face as he struggles to free himself from the wreckage.

Absolute and bloody disaster.
law90026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 01:21 PM   #597
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Really would 8-2 be an Arsenal fan right now. Joke's been on them 4-3 weeks now.

(I'll get my coat )
Old 09-18-2011, 10:54 AM   #598
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Phil Jones was a good signing.

First Liverpool and now Chelsea are getting hit with the "are you Arsenal in disguise?" chant. City dropped points at Fulham after going up 2-0. Nice little Sunday so far.
Old 09-18-2011, 10:58 AM   #599
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Super Bobby Zamora scored a cracker in the Fulham comeback

Some great matches and scorelines in recent weeks - its almost like being back in the 80's again

Last edited by Marc Vaughan : 09-18-2011 at 10:59 AM.
Old 09-18-2011, 11:47 AM   #600
Easy Mac

United don't seem lightyears better than Helsea, but man, can they create chances out of nowhere.