Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-30-2011, 04:19 PM   #551
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Reports out there that Kent Turene just de-committed from USC. Hurts if true. He looks like a big time MLB even though he is only a 3 star.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 04:43 PM   #552
bhlloy
Coordinator

I'm not a big Turene fan (and I'm sure that will make Bug lol). Scout guys seem to think he's just a big athletic guy who doesn't have the skills or work ethic to make it on the next level. He started as a very high 5 star and has been downgraded his entire senior year.

Plus he's played a ton of recruiting games over the past couple of months. Assuming Sarao and Madden stay solid, this is no big deal to me.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 04:44 PM   #553
MrBug708
Head Coach

Scott Kennedy watched three of his games and didn't see anything that made him think he was a Div. 1 football player. (He didn't say he wasn't good, just saw three bad games he thought)

ASU lost Dillion Van Der Wal to Vandy
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 05:17 PM   #554
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Some decent vibes that 4* TE (Arkansas commitment currently) Chris Barnett out of Texas could end up a part of Michigan's class. With a renewed focus on TE's in our offense he is a huge get if we can land him. We have a senior starter in Kevin Koger, and a RS-Jr in Brandon Moore who has yet to see any meaningful snaps, and that is it.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 05:34 PM   #555
MJ4H
Coordinator

We've been worrying about Barnett for awhile. If you get him, he will be a great one. Hope we keep him, obviously.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 05:46 PM   #556
MrBug708
Head Coach

According to Manny Navarro, Jalen Grimble was at UCLA this weekend, at least that's what his coach told Navarro
Old 01-30-2011, 05:49 PM   #557
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Turene has officially de-committed from USC but says USC is still under consideration and is even with his other top two choices, Texas Tech and Georgia. However, there is a lot of smoke out there that he committed to Georgia 2 weeks ago and will make it official on signing day.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 01-30-2011 at 05:50 PM.
Old 01-30-2011, 06:00 PM   #558
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
According to Manny Navarro, Jalen Grimble was at UCLA this weekend, at least that's what his coach told Navarro

Huffman has said that no one at UCLA has confirmed it, so he thinks it's just a rumor sadly
Old 01-30-2011, 07:15 PM   #559
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ4H View Post
We've been worrying about Barnett for awhile. If you get him, he will be a great one. Hope we keep him, obviously.

Our Rivals guy said Barnett has told the Michigan and Arkansas staffs he will decide on Friday or Saturday and both are okay with that. Those are the only two teams involved.
Old 01-30-2011, 11:37 PM   #560
DeToxRox
Head Coach

There is a rumor De'Anthony Thomas has decomitted from USC and is going to instead end up at Oregon. Wow if true.
Old 01-30-2011, 11:51 PM   #561
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
There is a rumor De'Anthony Thomas has decomitted from USC and is going to instead end up at Oregon. Wow if true.

That would suck if true. Kid is going to be one of the top 3 players to come out of this class.
Old 01-31-2011, 12:11 AM   #562
MrBug708
Head Coach

247 is saying the rumor is true...I bet Oregon told him he could play offense
Old 01-31-2011, 12:37 AM   #563
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

It is confirmed that he visited Oregon this weekend "and loved it" but word is that he hasn't de-committed from USC yet. Going to be a restless few days for a bunch of Trojan fans.
Old 01-31-2011, 01:30 AM   #564
bhlloy
Coordinator

I've thought there could be trouble with Thomas ever since he started talking about wanting to play offense. He'd definitely fit into Oregon's offense a lot better than USC - I can see this one having legs.

Kid is as close as a sure fire future top 10 pick as you can get coming out of HS as a corner. I have no idea what's going through his head or what kind of advice he's being given. If he bulks up he's maybe an 180lb running back and there aren't too many of those in the NFL.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 01:47 AM   #565
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

I'll bet he sticks with USC. All year, the only consistent thing we have heard is that the kid wants to stay close to home. So the only opportunity was for UCLA to steal Thomas from USC, the possibility of that boat sailed when Thomas didn't get the grades to pass by the UCLA admissions board.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 06:59 AM   #566
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Mike View Post
Getting Huggins is great, but everyone can tell you we needed OLs more than anything. Losing an OL recruit to a school that already has 6 OLs committed is just depressing. I'm sure his family will enjoy their new home and jobs in Tallahassee tho.

LOL. Gotta love recruiting time. Yes, I'm sure it was the job offers for his parents that got him to come to FSU, and not the fact that it was between FSU and Rutgers.

Quote:
Florida State heavily pursued Matias throughout the process. Integral for the 'Noles was coach James Coley, who speaks fluent Spanish. This was important because Matias' parents speak only spanish. Given that, Coley was the only coach truly able to connect with the parents.

We were told that FSU felt confident it could still pull Matias come signing day, despite his commitment to Rutgers. The surprising part of this switch isn't that it happened, but rather that it happened tonight.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 07:01 AM   #567
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
I'll bet he sticks with USC. All year, the only consistent thing we have heard is that the kid wants to stay close to home. So the only opportunity was for UCLA to steal Thomas from USC, the possibility of that boat sailed when Thomas didn't get the grades to pass by the UCLA admissions board.

I agree with this which is why I'm not too nervous. Plus, we've all seen recruits get excited by the glitz and glamour of an OV and then once they get away from it for a day or three, they go back to their original plan.
Old 01-31-2011, 07:01 AM   #568
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Dola -

Word is that Simmons is going to pick Rutgers. Distance is a factor for him, more than he originally thought.
Old 01-31-2011, 07:07 AM   #569
Ksyrup

Love this graphic:

M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 01-31-2011, 07:23 AM   #570
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
LOL. Gotta love recruiting time. Yes, I'm sure it was the job offers for his parents that got him to come to FSU, and not the fact that it was between FSU and Rutgers.

It's just strange when a kid waits almost the entire length of the recruiting process before committing, a couple days later calls the top player in the state on the eve of his announcement to say that he should choose the same school as him, and then two days after that, decommits and flips. I don't think it had anything more to do with a coach speaking Spanish than it is just the kid being an impressionable kid who has trouble saying no to people. Which is why many still feel he is up for grabs, and why those who aren't subject to the dead period are working on him.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 07:34 AM   #571
Ksyrup

My point is that there are a million reasons why a 17 year old would flip decisions so quickly (heck, he might do it again), but throwing around "he must have been paid" when there are quite a few legit reasons for the kid to do it is pretty lame.

There was a kid last year from South Florida who was choosing between Miami, Auburn, and New Mexico (can't remember his name), and he chose New Mexico. That raises some suspicions. A top OL prospect choosing to play in Florida for a top OL coach for a suddenly rejuvenated/hot team is not much of a stretch. Maybe Jenn Sterger texted him about what a great place Tallahassee is...

Last edited by Ksyrup : 01-31-2011 at 07:34 AM.
Old 01-31-2011, 07:42 AM   #572
Poli
FOFC Survivor

I've got my fingers crossed that Dooley will bring in Clear or Richardson. One or both would really elevate a pretty good class. Dooley didn't set the world on fire recruiting like Kiffin did, but he's still provided a pretty good class thus far.

I'm pleased.
Old 01-31-2011, 07:48 AM   #573
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
My point is that there are a million reasons why a 17 year old would flip decisions so quickly (heck, he might do it again), but throwing around "he must have been paid" when there are quite a few legit reasons for the kid to do it is pretty lame.

Which is why I didn't bring up the deserved shot at RU based off of the undeserved dig at FSU .
Old 01-31-2011, 11:01 AM   #574
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:
OK, seeing the same thing as you from our side:

“FSU will not be accepting a commitment from Tre Jackson at this point…could change, but as of now he does not have a committable offer and will not be visiting FSU this weekend…"

I read a quote from Mr. Jackson this morning that he had a "tough decision ahead deciding between FSU, Miami, Florida, Alabama and NC State."

How did his FSU visit go? Does he have an offer yet? I would be shocked if he had a Florida or Alabama offer.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 11:12 AM   #575
Ksyrup

I was away from the computer all weekend and haven't read any specifics about him, but I thought his visit was canceled.
Old 01-31-2011, 11:12 AM   #576
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Quote:
Getting Huggins is great, but everyone can tell you we needed OLs more than anything. Losing an OL recruit to a school that already has 6 OLs committed is just depressing. I'm sure his family will enjoy their new home and jobs in Tallahassee tho.

I highly doubt Florida State did anything like that for him. If this was some big time defensive linemen or player who was being recruited by schools that normally pay recruits then yeah I can see it.

Everyone pays for recruits the difference between the SEC and the rest of college ball is that they can pay for 10 recruits while the rest can pay 3-4 on average. Defensive linemen are the ones who usually receive payments with QBs being second.

Last edited by Noop : 01-31-2011 at 11:18 AM.
Noop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 11:17 AM   #577
Ksyrup

Also, with Mattias flipping from Rutgers, I believe that gives us 7 OL commits. From what I read a little while ago, people are thinking this guy might be a back-burner DT possibility in case we don't get Jernigan. Some think he's still got a place even if wwe hit on Jernigan and Steward (no one's high on Rasco coming). There's still a bit of room for him if we go to 28.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 01-31-2011 at 11:18 AM.
Old 01-31-2011, 11:20 AM   #578
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Mattias is being brought in as a OL. I believe Jackson is the one being brought in as a DT replacement should we whiff on Jernigan and Watson.
Old 01-31-2011, 11:20 AM   #579
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Some decent vibes that 4* TE (Arkansas commitment currently) Chris Barnett out of Texas could end up a part of Michigan's class. With a renewed focus on TE's in our offense he is a huge get if we can land him. We have a senior starter in Kevin Koger, and a RS-Jr in Brandon Moore who has yet to see any meaningful snaps, and that is it.

Let's make this happen, Chris Barnett. You know Hoke is going to re-install Carr's famous "naked boot leg to the right tight end" play. It's made a lot TE's a lot of money in the NFL.

Choose wisely.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 12:04 PM   #580
MJ4H
Coordinator

You should check out what DJ Williams has done in Petrino's offense first (which, he of course has already done--probably why he committed in the first place).
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 03:23 PM   #581
Ksyrup

Quote:

Happens quite often...

Quote:
Defensive end Trey Flowers, who committed to Georgia Tech less than a week ago, flipped to Arkansas on Sunday.
Old 01-31-2011, 05:15 PM   #582
Jon
High School Varsity

Former Rutgers QB Tom Savage lost his appeal with the faculty board today. BUT, after speaking with him, Greg Schiano decided to allow Tommy boy to talk to Miami (FL) or Florida.
Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 06:49 PM   #583
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Love this graphic:

Interesting that you use scout's rankings here.
Clemson has 2 5* (Watkins and Bellamy) prospects according to Rivals and 3 5* (Peake) per ESPN. Then again the scout Clemson guy is a SC graduate and hated by the entire Clemson staff and the site has less than 500 members so maybe thts why...

According to Rivals Clemson has (2) 5* (6) 4 * and (12) 3*...

Last edited by CU Tiger : 01-31-2011 at 06:58 PM.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 07:24 PM   #584
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Our Rivals guy said Barnett has told the Michigan and Arkansas staffs he will decide on Friday or Saturday and both are okay with that. Those are the only two teams involved.

I don't care if Robinson is staying, or not and what they sold him on, but that offense is changing. It will be a modified version of the spread, but I just don't see this staff not wanting a more pro style offense when it's all said and done.
Old 01-31-2011, 08:09 PM   #585
General Mike
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon View Post
Former Rutgers QB Tom Savage lost his appeal with the faculty board today. BUT, after speaking with him, Greg Schiano decided to allow Tommy boy to talk to Miami (FL) or Florida.

Weird stuff
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 08:11 PM   #586
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
I don't care if Robinson is staying, or not and what they sold him on, but that offense is changing. It will be a modified version of the spread, but I just don't see this staff not wanting a more pro style offense when it's all said and done.

Expect it to look like the Eagles offense. The QB we added, Bellamy, is a dual threat kid who plays like Tate. More of a passer then a runner but he has the ability to take off. He is much bigger though (6'3, 190 presently).
Old 01-31-2011, 09:02 PM   #587
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

As expected, 4 star WR (TE?) Junior Pomee has committed to USC. It is expected Ryan Henderson will commit as well. Pomee's dad let the cat out of the bag a bit early tonight.

Oh yeah, to beat Bug to the punch: How many receivers does USC need?
Old 01-31-2011, 10:34 PM   #588
DeToxRox
Head Coach

3* RB Thomas Rawls committed to UM tonight. He has a PC tomorrow but the Detnews put a story up tonight confirming it. Rawls was a huge academic risk before the season and professed his love for UM from the get go so he didn't have a lot of offers but he broke Mark Ingram's league records. He's a 225 lbs bowling ball. He is clearly not the runner Ingram is but he can be very good for us.
Old 01-31-2011, 10:43 PM   #589
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Byron Moore Jr commits to Tennessee!
Old 01-31-2011, 10:44 PM   #590
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:
Love this graphic:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
Clemson has 2 5* (Watkins and Bellamy) prospects according to Rivals and 3 5* (Peake) per ESPN. Then again the scout Clemson guy is a SC graduate and hated by the entire Clemson staff and the site has less than 500 members so maybe thts why...

I prefer this one:

Conference wins since 2006
Virginia Tech 32
Georgia Tech 27
Boston College 25
Clemson 24
FSU 22
Miami 20

Since 2006, the number of ESPN 150 recruits by those schools:

Miami: 33
FSU: 27
Clemson: 24
Virginia Tech: 6
Georgia Tech: 3
Boston College: 0

It ain't how it looks in the shower, boyz...
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 11:15 PM   #591
tarcone
Coordinator

3* 5-foot-11, 185-pound cornerback Jordan Lomax from DeMatha HS commits to Iowa.

Is this a sign of things to come for the Hawks?
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 11:28 PM   #592
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
3* 5-foot-11, 185-pound cornerback Jordan Lomax from DeMatha HS commits to Iowa.

Is this a sign of things to come for the Hawks?

You may get Cooper though I think ultimately he ends up at GT. No way Iowa gets Kouandjilo.
Old 02-01-2011, 12:12 AM   #593
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
As expected, 4 star WR (TE?) Junior Pomee has committed to USC. It is expected Ryan Henderson will commit as well. Pomee's dad let the cat out of the bag a bit early tonight.

Oh yeah, to beat Bug to the punch: How many receivers does USC need?

Dammit!

But how many do they need? Could make sense as there is some Blackwell to Oregon rumors starting to surface too
Old 02-01-2011, 12:12 AM   #594
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poli View Post
Byron Moore Jr commits to Tennessee!

Instant impact player. He would have started last year at USC had he stayed
Old 02-01-2011, 06:40 AM   #595
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post

I didn't use anything...just saw the chart on a site and posted it here. I don't know anything about anyone associated with any of these services, who's better or more accurate or more legit, etc.
Old 02-01-2011, 07:11 AM   #596
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
I didn't use anything...just saw the chart on a site and posted it here. I don't know anything about anyone associated with any of these services, who's better or more accurate or more legit, etc.

It's the one who rates your school the highest. Sometimes, it's even the one who rates individual players the highest.
Old 02-01-2011, 07:57 AM   #597
Ksyrup

I guess what I'm saying is I didn't create the chart or look for the best ratings with the express purpose of making my team look better than it is. If someone else did that and I copied it, oh well. I just saw it and thought it was great for FSU.

Scouts, Rivals, ESPN... I don't know who's more legit than the other. ESPN's got FSU as the #1 team right now, which seems to back up the dominance demonstrated by the Scouts chart. I kinda lump all those services in with each other. As for what biases they have and how they tend to overrate/underrate... some of you put way more time into those things than I'm able to.
Old 02-01-2011, 08:01 AM   #598
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

There are now some Mamba rumors that he is going to Washington. I'm hoping (but not believing) that this is all to generate doubt and bring more publicity to his signing day announcement.
Old 02-01-2011, 08:04 AM   #599
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
You may get Cooper though I think ultimately he ends up at GT. No way Iowa gets Kouandjilo.

I agree withg you. But with Coker already here and Lomax committing and Iowas track record for putting offensive linemen in the NFL, im hoping that is enough to sway Kouandjilo. (please, please, please come to Iowa)
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 08:10 AM   #600
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
I guess what I'm saying is I didn't create the chart or look for the best ratings with the express purpose of making my team look better than it is. If someone else did that and I copied it, oh well. I just saw it and thought it was great for FSU.

Scouts, Rivals, ESPN... I don't know who's more legit than the other. ESPN's got FSU as the #1 team right now, which seems to back up the dominance demonstrated by the Scouts chart. I kinda lump all those services in with each other. As for what biases they have and how they tend to overrate/underrate... some of you put way more time into those things than I'm able to.

It was a joke aimed at all fanbases, not you. Relax.