Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-24-2010, 03:05 AM   #551
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

It was definitely Beck on the end. I'm still confused who the guy that looked like Elvis Costello was, though.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 05:35 AM   #552
SackAttack
Head Coach

Jimmy Viveno, I think. He's part of the Tonight Show band, or was, if I'm not mistaken?
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 10:07 AM   #553
Swaggs
Coordinator

It was the Max Weinberg Seven, Ben Harper (the guy that was seated and picking), Beck, and the dude from ZZ Top. Not sure who the girl was.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 10:32 AM   #554
Tigercat
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
It was the Max Weinberg Seven, Ben Harper (the guy that was seated and picking), Beck, and the dude from ZZ Top. Not sure who the girl was.

That actually was Farrell's pregnant wife.
Tigercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 12:24 PM   #555
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigercat View Post
That actually was Farrell's pregnant wife.

Really?

BTW, the guy from ZZ Top is Billy Gibbons.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 02:20 PM   #556
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Thought this was an interesting look back:
Jay Leno Criticizes NBC On 'Tonight' Cliffhanger - Biography - NYTimes.com
Old 01-29-2010, 10:14 AM   #557
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Jimmy Kimmel responding to Leno's "sucker punch" claim he made on Oprah:

So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 10:42 AM   #558
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Jimmy has made nearly as much hay off this situation as Conan has. Very funny stuff.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 11:03 AM   #559
Tigercat
College Starter

Read the transcript of Oprah's interview, the only thing that bothered me is that she didn't counter Jay's points on Conan's ratings. Maybe the poor ratings were all Conan's fault, maybe he (or a different new host) could have done better. But when Leno acts like Conan had his chance and blew it, why not bring up how Leno struggled his first year and still got his full chance. How he thought it unfair when NBC courted Letterman after less than a year of Leno at 1135. Ask him how much of a fair chance Conan had when he had such a horrible lead in to the 10 news and the 1135 show. (Leno admits his show at 10 fails, surely he can admit that he created an unfavorable situation for both the news and the Tonight Show.) Like I should expect Oprah to be a prepared interviewer though..
Tigercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 01:10 PM   #560
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Random observation: Oprah's interview with Jay Leno was far more confrontational and challenging than the one with Sarah Palin. That's messed up.
Old 02-03-2010, 05:28 PM   #561
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

Conan talking with FOX?

I just really hope Conan lands somewhere soon. He still is my favorite late night host.

According to the article I guess he can't have a talk show until september. I wonder if Andy Richter can get a show that heavily features Conan.
Greyroofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 05:41 PM   #562
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyroofoo View Post
Conan talking with FOX?

I just really hope Conan lands somewhere soon. He still is my favorite late night host.

According to the article I guess he can't have a talk show until september. I wonder if Andy Richter can get a show that heavily features Conan.

Right, so Conan can steal it from him in 7 months. Will the madness ever stop?
Old 02-03-2010, 05:51 PM   #563
RedKingGold
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxon View Post
Right, so Conan can steal it from him in 7 months. Will the madness ever stop?

That would be awesome.
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 05:54 PM   #564
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedKingGold View Post
That would be awesome.
It really would be and the timing is perfect.
Old 02-03-2010, 06:22 PM   #565
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Kimmel has certainly upped the ante, I'll give him that. Good clip.
Old 02-07-2010, 08:53 PM   #566
Bearcat729
College Benchwarmer

NBC Will Regret Appeasing Leno - WSJ.com

NBC Will Regret Appeasing Leno
Conan was the Czechoslovakia of late-night TV.

By JOE QUEENAN

Cultural historians are desperately seeking a precedent to the Jay Leno-Conan O'Brien fiasco. They are looking in the wrong places. True, Pat Sajak, Chevy Chase and Joan Rivers all got axed from late-night talk shows after shockingly brief stints at the helm, but none of them got $32.5 million to take a hike. And none of them got replaced by the person they had replaced. And none of them pouted about getting canned for general incompetence while millions of their countrymen—who had not actually failed at their jobs—were unable to find work.

No, the most appropriate parallel to the debacle that has humiliated NBC took place in central Europe in the late 1930s. It happened at Munich.

Jay Leno, much like Adolf Hitler, is a master of making secret demands for foreign territory and then acting like the wronged party. First he pretended that he wanted to annex only the first half-hour of Mr. O'Brien's "Tonight Show." Here he was mimicking Hitler, who insisted that he merely wanted to annex the German-speaking Sudetenland, not all of Czechoslovakia.

Then, adopting the craven British Prime Minister Neville Chamberlain as a role model, NBC stabbed Mr. O'Brien in the back by agreeing to let Mr. Leno reoccupy the first segment of his old "Tonight Show" slot. NBC's defense was that Mr. O'Brien had dismal ratings, and the show was a bit of a mess. But the same can be said about Czechoslovakia, a hodgepodge cobbled together after the First World War that never really got its act together.

Returning from Munich, Chamberlain joyously waved a piece of paper in the air and proclaimed that the accord with Hitler guaranteed peace in our time. Returning to Burbank, NBC officials expected the same result from its deal with Messrs. Leno and O'Brien.

Here's where the parallels become even more eerie. In acquiescing to Mr. Leno's sotto voce demands to annex one-half of "The Tonight Show," NBC thought it could put the whole ugly controversy to rest. Wrong. Interpreting generosity as weakness, Mr. Leno began to maneuver for complete control of "The Tonight Show." Here he was again taking his cue from der Fuhrer, manipulating his outgunned adversary into a position so humiliating he literally had no choice but to surrender. Just as Edward Beneš, president of Czechoslovakia, was forced to abandon ship once he had been betrayed by his erstwhile allies, Mr. O'Brien was forced to abdicate and cede his entire one-hour program to the man he had replaced. He did get a significantly bigger going-away present than Beneš, however.

Today, NBC—much like Chamberlain—is daft enough to believe that Mr. Leno's demands will now cease. If history is any guide, this is unlikely. After pocketing Czechoslovakia, Hitler immediately took dead aim at Poland. Using the same game plan, Mr. Leno will soon go after Jimmy Fallon, who follows "The Tonight Show," quite possibly demanding that NBC expand "Tonight" to its original 90-minute length.

Just as Hitler sought to return Germany to its prewar stature by acquiring Austria and the Sudetenland, Mr. Leno will seek to restore "The Tonight Show" to the mythical stature it enjoyed under his predecessor. Hitler wanted to be thought of as the second coming of Frederick Barbarossa. Mr. Leno wants to be thought of as the second coming of Johnny Carson. Joey Bishop might be more appropriate.

And just as Hitler made his annexation of Austria appear to be the Austrians' idea, Mr. Leno will need Mr. Fallon to invite him to assume command of the show. Perhaps NBC can offer him the same $32.5 million Mr. O'Brien got, and an extra $10 million not to kick up a fuss. At this point, who's counting?

Some may say that drawing comparisons between Jay Leno and Adolf Hitler is unfair. These people have obviously not been paying attention to the horrible things Messrs. O'Brien and Leno have been saying about each other the past two weeks. It's enough to make Josef Stalin blush. No, the more you look at it, the more disturbing the parallels between today's Los Angeles and yesterday's Munich seem.

NBC probably believes that once Mr. Leno controls both late-night television and late-late night television, his dreams of global conquest will be sated. Well, everyone knows what happened in the Danzig Corridor in 1939.

So if you're anchoring the 11 p.m. news program that precedes "The Tonight Show," don't get too comfortable. The blitzkrieg is right around the corner. And you're Poland.

Mr. Queenan, a satirist, is the author, most recently, of the memoir "Closing Time" (Viking, 2009).
Old 02-07-2010, 09:01 PM   #567
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

I don't exactly buy into all of the "It's Leno's fault" theories. NBC has much more to do with this than he does.
Old 02-08-2010, 12:47 AM   #568
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

I really liked the Leno, Letterman, Oprah commercial. Smart move for everyone involved.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 01:37 AM   #569
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Gotta like Leno getting on TV for free during the SuperBowl, getting CBS to pay for his commercial. Brilliant move on his part.
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 09:54 AM   #570
bronconick
College Starter

Would that commercial have violated his buyout deal, I wonder?
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 10:16 AM   #571
SackAttack
Head Coach

From context, it doesn't look like the buyout had been completed yet when they initially broached the idea of the commercial.

That, IIRC, didn't get finalized until, like, the day before the final show anyway. So they may not have been enjoined from doing the spot, but didn't want to commit to something they might not have been contractually able to do after the settlement anyway.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 12:25 PM   #572
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
From context, it doesn't look like the buyout had been completed yet when they initially broached the idea of the commercial.

That, IIRC, didn't get finalized until, like, the day before the final show anyway. So they may not have been enjoined from doing the spot, but didn't want to commit to something they might not have been contractually able to do after the settlement anyway.

Maybe Conan was just smart enough to realise that a one-off joke wasn't worth not only making Leno look good in a spot, but also come off looking like a big fake (which is how Letterman comes off to me for doing that commercial).
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Old 02-09-2010, 12:34 PM   #573
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

For Letterman I though it was a way for him to not look as serious about it. I think at some point during his show, it started to turn from a guy poking fun to a guy who was really bitter and couldn't let something from the past go. I think this kind of gave him the chance to say that it's not all that serious in the bigger picture.

I think the bigger story is why Letterman would allow Leno some positive PR when his name had been turned to mud.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 07:00 PM   #574
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
For Letterman I though it was a way for him to not look as serious about it. I think at some point during his show, it started to turn from a guy poking fun to a guy who was really bitter and couldn't let something from the past go. I think this kind of gave him the chance to say that it's not all that serious in the bigger picture.

I think the bigger story is why Letterman would allow Leno some positive PR when his name had been turned to mud.

Because it was funny. Letterman will do just about anything if he thought it was funny.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 07:24 AM   #575
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
Because it was funny. Letterman will do just about anything if he thought it was funny.

His rule supposedly is: If its funny, we do it. And that was funny.
Old 02-10-2010, 08:55 AM   #576
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

So does Leno get his bonus for his show getting cancelled?
Chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 08:28 AM   #577
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

My brother just notified me that Conan O'Brien has twitter..

http://twitter.com/conanobrien

3 new followers every second. It's pretty crazy.

edit:

He told me to keep refreshing, and yes, it's just jumping up... around 240k now...

Last edited by Neon_Chaos : 02-25-2010 at 08:31 AM.
Neon_Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 08:32 AM   #578
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neon_Chaos View Post

Yep, and the speculation that his next gig will be online instead of television started about 3 seconds after he opened the account. Seems to me that he's running the risk of devaluing his brand (as online only is largely seen as strictly B-list at best) even if it's purely speculation.
Old 02-25-2010, 08:32 AM   #579
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:

edit:

He told me to keep refreshing, and yes, it's just jumping up... around 240k now...

As rough as this gig has been on Conan and his staff of late, I think he's going to emerge in a far better position than he was before this incident.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 08:36 AM   #580
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Hah.

http://twitter.com/ConansSquirrel
Old 03-01-2010, 11:10 PM   #581
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

So who's watching the Tonight Show with Jay Leno right now?

They began the show with a little Wizard of Oz spoof.
"I had the most crazy dream..."
Old 03-01-2010, 11:30 PM   #582
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

Nope, boycotting.

Team Coco.
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 11:33 PM   #583
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

I need some more Conan in my life as well, but I still like Jay, especially when the alternative is watching letterman.
Old 03-01-2010, 11:58 PM   #584
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

No Coco.

Go Team.
Old 03-02-2010, 12:33 AM   #585
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuqua View Post
Nope, boycotting.

Team Coco.

"".
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 05:35 AM   #586
Bearcat729
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuqua View Post
Nope, boycotting.

Team Coco.

Old 03-02-2010, 07:45 AM   #587
Logan
Head Coach

Anyone who has seen the promo NBC was running of the new Leno show sees exactly how stupid NBC is. They couldn't have made him look anymore smug and douchey if they tried.

Even better, find the clip of the same promo but with Radiohead's "Creep" playing over it.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 07:56 AM   #588
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Anyone who has seen the promo NBC was running of the new Leno show sees exactly how stupid NBC is. They couldn't have made him look anymore smug and douchey if they tried.

Even better, find the clip of the same promo but with Radiohead's "Creep" playing over it.

Old 03-02-2010, 11:24 AM   #589
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Leno beats Letterman 2.0 to 1.0 in 18-49's last night, crushed him 5.4 to 3.0 in Households. Nightline did a 1.5, Kimmell pulled a 0.9.

Before anyone asks, I looked it up. Conan was in the mid 4's for his finale, but 1.9 and 1.8 in 18-49's for the Wed & Thurs shows his last week.

Meanwhile to show you one of those quirky things about Atlanta's numbers, Nightline beat Leno & Letterman combined 18-49 in their half hour again last night with 2.9 vs 1.55 + 0.95
Old 03-02-2010, 10:36 PM   #590
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

I admit, I LOLed at the Sarah Palin opening.
Old 03-09-2010, 08:10 PM   #591
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Looks like the Leno bump is either dying very quickly or is already dead.. these are the early numbers.

David Letterman beat Jay Leno in the adult demo Monday night. CBS' "Late Show" drew 4.2 million viewers and a 1.3 in the demo compared to NBC's "Tonight Show" bringing in 4.4 million viewers and 1.1 in the demo. Dave's guests were nothing special -- Kelly Ripa and Lady Antebellum.

So why the upset? Lead-in! CBS won Monday night primetime, NBC was a distant fourth place with the likes of "Trauma" and "Law & Order."
Old 03-09-2010, 08:47 PM   #592
Galaxy
Coordinator

Interesting. Leno seems even more boring than ever (which isn't hard to do).
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 08:55 PM   #593
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Maybe the universe has a soul after all....
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 09:51 PM   #594
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
Looks like the Leno bump is either dying very quickly or is already dead.. these are the early numbers.

He's still winning total viewers & that's the basis he's been sold on for years. Anybody buying him for 18-49 wasn't/isn't all that sharp.

And Lady Antebellum was likely enough to make the 18-49 difference as their appeal is on the younger country demos.
Old 03-10-2010, 12:16 PM   #595
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

edit:

Conan decided to follow a random person and here's what followed.

Meet Sarah Killen, the One Person Conan O'Brien Is Following on Twitter | PopEater.com

She lives one town away from where I grew up.
Old 03-10-2010, 12:23 PM   #596
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
Conan decided to follow a random person and here's what followed.

Meet Sarah Killen, the One Person Conan O'Brien Is Following on Twitter | PopEater.com

She lives one town away from where I grew up.

That's cool!
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 12:56 PM   #597
Passacaglia
Coordinator

I remember seeing the sign for Fowlerville on I-96 every time I drove across the state. Exit 129, right? I think I stopped at a Dairy Queen there a few times.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 01:17 PM   #598
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

I became one of the many following that girl on Twitter after Conan tweeted about following her, and let me tell you, that was a mistake. That girl tweets some useless bullshit and seems to constantly be requesting money for stuff. I wish my twitter app would let me unfollow, because I'm too lazy to log in to the website and do it but in the meantime she's pissing me off.

And yes, I could have logged in and unfollowed in the time it took to write this post, but it's more fun to complain.
Old 03-10-2010, 01:29 PM   #599
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
I became one of the many following that girl on Twitter after Conan tweeted about following her, and let me tell you, that was a mistake. That girl tweets some useless bullshit and seems to constantly be requesting money for stuff. I wish my twitter app would let me unfollow, because I'm too lazy to log in to the website and do it but in the meantime she's pissing me off.

And yes, I could have logged in and unfollowed in the time it took to write this post, but it's more fun to complain.

How long before she calls off her wedding and heads to Hollywood for a reality show?
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 02:10 PM   #600
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
tweets some useless bullshit

Isn't that 98% of twitter?