Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-12-2012, 01:43 PM   #551
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
They announced a whole series of adapters they can't wait to sell you. The new connector is something I'm not a big fan of.

Of course they did.

Heh.
Old 09-12-2012, 01:43 PM   #552
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

This will be a much appreciated upgrade from my 3s...

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
FOOL - Cleveland Cyclones
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
CleBrownsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 01:44 PM   #553
Subby
lolzcat

Sounds pretty sweet in every way. Huge upgrade over the 4.
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 03:17 PM   #554
kingfc22
Head Coach

So how are the phone companies going to try to screw over the consumers with the new LTE ability, especially AT&T?
Old 09-12-2012, 03:25 PM   #555
stevew
Hall Of Famer

gizmodo.com/5942710/fuck-that-goddamn-iphone-adapter-costs-30-bucks

Last edited by stevew : 09-12-2012 at 03:27 PM.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 03:29 PM   #556
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfc22 View Post
So how are the phone companies going to try to screw over the consumers with the new LTE ability, especially AT&T?

I'm curious about that as well. I've been grandfathered-in up to this point with my unlimited data plan.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 03:44 PM   #557
Easy Mac

Quote:

Well, I can answer for Verizon. Until earlier this year, unlimited data plans were grandfathered in. Now, If I want an iphone 5, or any other LTE phone, I have to drop my unlimited data plan.

I pay $130 pre-taxes for 2 iphone 4s phones with unlimited data, unlimited text, and unlimited talk.

If I want an iphone 5, for $130 I get unlimited text, unlimited talk, and 1 GB of data to share with my wife.

For comparison, my wife used 1/2 gig last month, she's on pace for about that much this month. I used 5 gigs last month, and am on pace for about 6 this month. So I'd probably need to get an 8 gig shared plan, just to cover myself. That's an extra $40 a month (pre-taxes), so an extra $500 a year.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 03:45 PM   #558
Easy Mac

dola,

So I'm pretty much staying with the iphone 4s until its no longer usable with apps (most apps don't work on my 3 year old ipod touch because apple doesn't update the ios software on it).
Old 09-12-2012, 03:47 PM   #559
kingfc22
Head Coach

Just saw that AT&T announced that they will allow those grandfathered in to keep their unlimited data plans! Woot!

Press Release
Old 09-12-2012, 03:49 PM   #560
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
So I get a message from AT&T that my upgrade date isn't until May of 2013, (which I am aware of). But they do tell me I am eligible for a discounted iPhone upgrade. Which is the purchase price + $250 + $36 upgrade fee. Ummm.... I'll wait until May. That is basically the unsubsidized price they are charging.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 04:17 PM   #561
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Just saw that AT&T announced that they will allow those grandfathered in to keep their unlimited data plans! Woot!

Press Release

That'd be me then

(would hate to lose use of Pandora on car trips)
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 04:53 PM   #562
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby View Post
Sounds pretty sweet in every way. Huge upgrade over the 4.

Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 06:33 AM   #563
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

How much worse can my experience with Apple be? I already have constant freezing of iTunes every time I try to use it with my iPod. I rarely plug in as a result. Last night I wanted to add some music, so I plug in and it comes up with an update to the OS. I figure I haven't upgraded in a while, so why not?

6 hours later, the full restore of my iPod was complete. The iOS6 upgrade completely bricked my iPod. Tried to reset a few times, nothing would work, the computer wouldn't recognize it, etc. So I had to do a full restore to factory settings and reload 7500 songs last night.

Thanks Apple!
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 09-21-2012 at 06:34 AM.
Ksyrup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 07:33 AM   #564
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
How much worse can my experience with Apple be? I already have constant freezing of iTunes every time I try to use it with my iPod. I rarely plug in as a result. Last night I wanted to add some music, so I plug in and it comes up with an update to the OS. I figure I haven't upgraded in a while, so why not?

6 hours later, the full restore of my iPod was complete. The iOS6 upgrade completely bricked my iPod. Tried to reset a few times, nothing would work, the computer wouldn't recognize it, etc. So I had to do a full restore to factory settings and reload 7500 songs last night.

Thanks Apple!

Man - your experience with Apple is absolute shit. I can't explain it...I'm no apple-fanboy, but my experience hasn't been anywhere near that painful.
Old 09-21-2012, 07:51 AM   #565
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

It all ties back to that shitty iTunes program.

I should have just bought that damn Cowon X7. Open source, can drop/drag files freely back and forth just like my phone. My problems are probably caused by the negative energy I emit every time I realize I have to interface with iTunes.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 07:55 AM   #566
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, same here. Just updated to the new Iphone OS this morning, and no problems at all. I backed up my phone, started the update and took my daughter out to the bus stop. By the time her bus came, I was back inside and my phone is all updated and ready to use with all my apps and music still on there.

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 08:00 AM   #567
Subby
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

Old 09-21-2012, 08:11 AM   #568
Subby
lolzcat

Ok maybe not better maps.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg original.jpg (74.1 KB, 327 views)

Old 09-21-2012, 09:16 AM   #569
Easy Mac

I tried 6 times to update over wifi and it wouldn't let me. I finally got to my computer and tried it there. First time my phone bricked. Luckily it had backed up before I upgraded, so I went ahead and restored everything, so nothing was lost. Took about an hour and a half, so I was without a working phone for that long.

The new OS is a little faster, but maps and passbook are useless.
Old 09-21-2012, 02:58 PM   #570
Daimyo
College Starter

I'm not upgrading until (if) Google's maps app is accepted to the app store...
Daimyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 03:32 PM   #571
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Yeah same here - I use the maps enough that it's an essential feature - not upgrading until I hear (and believe) that the issues are resolved, or until I can get Google's maps.
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 03:57 PM   #572
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daimyo View Post
I'm not upgrading until (if) Google's maps app is accepted to the app store...

You can always just get google maps on the web and set a bookmark to it on your home screen.
Old 09-21-2012, 04:31 PM   #573
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

My iPod touch is iOS 4.3.5. When I updated to 5.0 I found that it didn't like playlists larger than 10 GB or so at all & was mutch slower. Apple gave me a new ipod with 4.3.5 on it. They wanted me to update to 5.0 to see if it did the same thing, but I never got a guarantee that i would get another with 4.3.5. I told them if they wanted to send me one with 5.0 preloaded i would test it for them. No dice. So I never updated this one.

The problem i had with 5.0 was the first problem I had with an iPod. It has made me extremely leery over whether I ever want to buy a new ipod or iPhone, as if the attitude about an iPod is that playing music is so far down the list of what they need to get right... (I'm also frightened about any iTunes updates)
M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 08:56 AM   #574
Easy Mac

Anyone else with horrible battery life on the 4s since upgrading?
Old 09-23-2012, 12:34 PM   #575
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Anybody here tried updating an iPhone 4 to iOS6? I'm likely getting a 5 when my contract is up in November, but kinda hesitant to update from iOS 5 to 6 on my 4...

Kinda want to know impressions from others...

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 12:43 PM   #576
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by terpkristin View Post
Anybody here tried updating an iPhone 4 to iOS6? I'm likely getting a 5 when my contract is up in November, but kinda hesitant to update from iOS 5 to 6 on my 4...

/tk

I did it on Thursday and have had no problems besides one app (TapTalk) that seems to have problems working, but I do not believe has had an iOS6 update for the app itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 05:18 PM   #577
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by terpkristin View Post

/tk
I updated mine as soon as it came out and didn't notice any technical issues. There's obviously the annoyance of Apple's war with Google which necessitates downloading the Google YouTube app and bookmarking Google Maps in Safari to get around the inferior new Apple maps app.

On the plus side, I like the ability to go full screen in Safari, and I've noticed some nice improvements in some of my apps that have been updated for iOS6.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 06:33 PM   #578
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac View Post
{raises hand}
Old 09-24-2012, 01:14 PM   #579
INDalltheway
College Benchwarmer

Just sold my 16gb iPhone 4 on eBay for $253.67. I paid $300 and some change for my new 32gb iPhone 5. Yeah, I'm feeling good.
INDalltheway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 02:46 PM   #580
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Well, I can answer for Verizon. Until earlier this year, unlimited data plans were grandfathered in. Now, If I want an iphone 5, or any other LTE phone, I have to drop my unlimited data plan.

I pay $130 pre-taxes for 2 iphone 4s phones with unlimited data, unlimited text, and unlimited talk.

If I want an iphone 5, for $130 I get unlimited text, unlimited talk, and 1 GB of data to share with my wife.

For comparison, my wife used 1/2 gig last month, she's on pace for about that much this month. I used 5 gigs last month, and am on pace for about 6 this month. So I'd probably need to get an 8 gig shared plan, just to cover myself. That's an extra $40 a month (pre-taxes), so an extra $500 a year.

I believe you can buy it unsubsidized ad not have to switch plans
Chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 05:36 PM   #581
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

I did the upgrade of my 4 and it went relatively painlessly. Thanks to the folks here for giving me the confidence to do so.

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 06:41 PM   #582
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Is it ok if I pop in here to rant about AT&T, apparently they fulfill pre-orders after they sell out the stock they received which mystifies me .... and is why I'm still waiting for my pre-ordered iPhone5 ..... grrrr.

(to be frank I'm not particularly excited by the phone, but I do kinda need it to get FMH2013 working on it)
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 06:58 PM   #583
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

I have to say that I loved the Samsung commercials about all of the people in line for their iPhones. Especially the hipster "just holding a spot" in the Apple line for his parents.

Good stuff.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 07:11 PM   #584
kingfc22
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by INDalltheway View Post
Just sold my 16gb iPhone 4 on eBay for $253.67. I paid $300 and some change for my new 32gb iPhone 5. Yeah, I'm feeling good.

Man you reeled in a sucker.

I got $250 for a 32GB iPhone 4.

My wife's iPhone 4 is currently at $175, but that auction has a few days left so I hope some people get into a battle towards the end.
Old 09-24-2012, 07:20 PM   #585
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Is there a real benefit to upgrade an iPhone 4 or an iPad 2 with iOS 6? They both seem to miss out on some of the bigger benefits, so I am wondering if this will do anything other than slow them down?
BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 07:45 PM   #586
Mota
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Vaughan View Post
Is it ok if I pop in here to rant about AT&T, apparently they fulfill pre-orders after they sell out the stock they received which mystifies me .... and is why I'm still waiting for my pre-ordered iPhone5 ..... grrrr.

(to be frank I'm not particularly excited by the phone, but I do kinda need it to get FMH2013 working on it)

Oh the same happened to me last year with Rogers in Canada. They had a pre-order page online, you get notification and the phone is sent to your nearest store. The store even referred me to this page to ensure I got one.

Then on launch day I go into the Rogers later in the day for an unrelated matter, and find out that they had shipped units for the shelves and so preordering was actually a disadvantage.
Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 08:25 PM   #587
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glengoyne View Post
I have to say that I loved the Samsung commercials about all of the people in line for their iPhones. Especially the hipster "just holding a spot" in the Apple line for his parents.

Good stuff.

Yeah. Those are awesome.
Old 09-24-2012, 08:38 PM   #588
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:

Ahh yes, the infamous Apple OS upgrade, where they release a new version at the launch of a new product that degrades the performance of the previous models...
Old 09-25-2012, 05:05 AM   #589
Mota
College Benchwarmer

My 4S battery life is horrible now. My son asks "can I use your iPhone?", plays some games on it for 30 minutes, and I'm down to 56% battery. It's insane.
Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 05:22 PM   #590
stevew
Hall Of Famer

So I'm heading that the 5's Lightning port is so proprietary that there may be no way to make cheap cords? I have maybe 6 cords throughout the house and cars...there's no way anyone in this house upgrades If they cost $30 a pop.
Old 09-25-2012, 05:30 PM   #591
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Ah, bummer. I was hoping the complaints on the web about iOS6 were just the usual 'there's always angry people', but the posts in this thread convince me there are real problems with upgrading.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 08:01 PM   #592
Professor58
H.S. Freshman Team

Not seeing what you get with iOS6 for the Ipad2, seems more is taking away.

OOTP: AFBL : Ohio
OOTP: CBL : London
OOTP : NPBL : California
OOTP : WBA : Los Angeles
Professor58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 02:05 PM   #593
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
So I'm heading that the 5's Lightning port is so proprietary that there may be no way to make cheap cords? I have maybe 6 cords throughout the house and cars...there's no way anyone in this house upgrades If they cost $30 a pop.
Off-brand adapters are already showing up on Amazon.com (and elsewhere). And yes, this stuff could be junk trying to scam early adopters.

Still, I have a hard time believing that with the huge demand there will be for this stuff that Apple will be able to totally prevent other companies from offering much cheaper versions of these cables & adapters. I'm keeping my eye on Monoprice to see if they come up with adapters, and I'll keep tabs on my friends to see if they take the plunge on any of the cheap adapters already being sold, and if that gear is any good.
Old 09-26-2012, 02:21 PM   #594
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I see the off brand stuff as well, but I'm cautiously waiting until it becomes a bit clearer whether that stuff actually works. I mean, right now I can get like a 6pack of okay quality cords for the 4 shipped for maybe 8 bucks. If they break, I still have more left.
Old 09-26-2012, 02:25 PM   #595
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
I see the off brand stuff as well, but I'm cautiously waiting until it becomes a bit clearer whether that stuff actually works. I mean, right now I can get like a 6pack of okay quality cords for the 4 shipped for maybe 8 bucks. If they break, I still have more left.
Yeah, until stuff shows up on Monoprice, I'm going to wait for my friends to be the guinea-pigs on the stuff showing up right now
Old 09-26-2012, 06:10 PM   #596
samifan24
Pro Starter

Word is that the Apple Lightning cord contains a microchip which allows the cord to sync, charge, etc. based on what it's plugged into. I thought I read somewhere that aftermarket cables won't contain the chip and therefore won't be as versatile (they'll only charge).
Old 09-27-2012, 02:24 AM   #597
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

I think some of the map stuff is overblown. The new Apple maps does suck, just as Google maps sucked in 2005. It takes a long time to build a reliable system and gather enough data from users. But it's overblown because there are really good alternatives to it and Google maps.

Mapquest is just as good as Google maps and is free. Garmin has an app too for navigation that is like 99 cents. And Waze is an amazing free app that everyone should have too.

Not downplaying how bad Apple maps is, just pointing out that there are a lot of good alternatives. I was more pissed about Apple dropping the YouTube app for the iPad.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 12:46 PM   #598
Pyser
Pro Rookie

the biggest problem i have with the new maps is the lack of traffic updates. a few red dashes doesnt convey enough info, compared to the red/yellow/green google maps system. i used that multiple times a day in la.
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 12:38 PM   #599
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou View Post
{raises hand}
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
Ahh yes, the infamous Apple OS upgrade, where they release a new version at the launch of a new product that degrades the performance of the previous models...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mota View Post
My 4S battery life is horrible now. My son asks "can I use your iPhone?", plays some games on it for 30 minutes, and I'm down to 56% battery. It's insane.
Went to the local apple store on Saturday and this is now resolved for me. Diagnostics determined that it was never really going to sleep, and it was running at a higher than normal temperature because some of the apps weren't truly "closing." They did a complete system reset and had me reload all my apps, and I'm back in business. They told me *NOT* to restore from a backup, though, because the problem was likely embedded in the backup. According to the duuuuuuuuude that helped me, it wasn't any sort of malware--I suppose because Apple products don't get malware, according to their worshipful minions. He did tell me to reload all of my apps (no concern about the problem being in one of the apps,) and not to restore the backup that contained the non-malware problem, though.

Bottom line: a full reset seems to have resolved the battery issue and another issue I was having with apps crashing.
Old 10-01-2012, 03:57 PM   #600
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

The inability to truly close an app on iOS without rebooting it is annoying. I've had a few apps (mostly games) that would effectively crash on me, and the only way to get the app to work properly would be to reboot the phone.