Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-29-2012, 03:19 PM   #551
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai View Post
From the Muir Russel Review, page 13

Muir Russell Final

The full review of that claim starts on page 64.
[/size]

Uh-huh.

Pat Michaels: The Climategate Whitewash Continues: Don't Believe the 'Independent Reviews' About Goings on at the Climatic Research Unit at the University of East Anglia - WSJ.com

I didn't think the claim that the peer review process was rigged was particularly controversial.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 03:50 PM   #552
Blackadar
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic View Post

So your rebuttal is an op-ed piece penned by a senior fellow of the Cato Institute, the same institute who has paid hundreds of thousands of dollars into Michael's private company specifically to produce anti-global warming testimony...and you're talking about most every other climate change scientist's work being "rigged" or suspect in some way??? Seriously?

*facepalm*

It just ain't worth it...

Last edited by Blackadar : 08-29-2012 at 03:53 PM.
Blackadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 04:05 PM   #553
Blackadar
Retired

Actually, I just can't leave this one alone.

Cato gets huge funding and was founded in part by the Koch Brothers, who are avowed right-wing/libertarian extremists. They own oil processing plants that have capacity for over 800,000 barrels a day and own a couple of pipelines. They also have substantial investments in timber companies, asphalt companies, plastics, fertilizer, cattle...all industries threatened with the necessary regulations to curb climate change.

So when someone starts touting an Op-Ed piece by a senior fellow at Cato, I really wonder about them (and that's being very diplomatic). This is the *exact* same thing as someone trying to point out an anti-cancer research study funded by some little lab where the funding came from Phillip-Morris or RJR. Did people actually believe that shit too?

Also, trying to compare the rest of the scientific community with these charlatans is just simply a false equivalency. This is funding specifically to justify a conclusion. Some of you think that's what most of the funding out there is like, but that's simply not the case. Most of it is simply blind funding, where the conclusion is drawn from the data...and not vice versa. I really have to shake my head at this kind of stuff.
Old 08-29-2012, 04:09 PM   #554
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic View Post

He only references a few of the committees that investigated the claim in that op-ed. There were several that looked into the claim and cleared it.

And if it's true that the peer-review process has been rigged, how is it that Richard Lindzen keeps getting published? or Roy Spencer? or Henrik Svensmark? or John Christy?

The claim doesn't hold water for the simple fact that AGW skeptics are getting their papers published in peer-reviewed journals.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 04:11 PM   #555
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackadar View Post
So your rebuttal is an op-ed piece penned by a senior fellow of the Cato Institute, the same institute who has paid hundreds of thousands of dollars into Michael's private company specifically to produce anti-global warming testimony...and you're talking about most every other climate change scientist's work being "rigged" or suspect in some way??? Seriously?

*facepalm*

It just ain't worth it...

That was the first complaint I read about the credibility of the group hired to clear the East Anglia email group. There were many others. No one was surprised when Russell ignored the obvious. It was not an independent review.

I'm not trying to argue the research itself. I'm not qualified to evaluate the meaning of differences in ice core samples. If anyone here is, great. All I can say about the science is that it is not all that much hotter than it was 100 years ago, and trying to tell me that Massachusetts has become North Carolina only hurts your own credibility.

I'm saying there are serious problems with the credibility of this specific process right now. And I'd say the same thing if the other side were making religious claims as well. AGW has become a religious debate, not a scientific one. The believers are not all that civil to those of us who aren't buying it right now. Since they're asking for trillions of dollars, which would end of our economy as we know it, we need more than fervent belief. We need a process that is above reproach.

I'm very troubled that someone can read the East Anglia emails and not lose confidence in the peer-reviewed journals. You don't need an advanced degree in climate science to see the problems there.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 11:15 AM   #557
JediKooter
Coordinator

That article seems to be cherry picking the data.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 11:24 AM   #558
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKooter View Post

You can say that, but if I've learned anything from this thread, it's that you must be cashing a big fat juicy check every month from the green lobby and higher education cartel to have an opinion like that.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 11:27 AM   #559
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKooter View Post

As opposed to any other assessment of these 'facts'?
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 11:31 AM   #560
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post

If it's all corrupt and funded by different interests why do you stand so firmly and exclusively behind one of the corrupt sides? I mean, you seem to have a very strong opinion behind this considering it's all tainted junk science.
Old 11-15-2012, 11:43 AM   #561
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by article
Some climate scientists, such as Professor Phil Jones, director of the Climatic Research Unit at the University of East Anglia, last week dismissed the significance of the plateau, saying that 15 or 16 years is too short a period from which to draw conclusions.

Oh the irony!
Old 11-15-2012, 11:53 AM   #562
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:

OMGzzz scientists are falsifying the dataz!! You do realize that it doesn't take changes of 5 or tens of degrees to offset the balance of things right? It only takes a couple of degrees.

644x358.jpg

Here's what their chart in the article would look like if they zoomed out from the 1997 to 2012 chart they have.

Global_Temperature_Anomaly_1880-2010_(Fig.A).gif

Here's what temperatures would look like if you zoomed out even further from the pic above:

2000_Year_Temperature_Comparison.png

But lets not stop there. Lets go back even further in our Wayback Climate Time Machine...

12K year time period...
Holocene_Temperature_Variations.png

5 Million year time period...
Five_Myr_Climate_Change.png

65 Million year time period...
65_Myr_Climate_Change.png

I'm surprised that 'deniers' don't use the 65 million chart more often.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 11:57 AM   #563
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
If it's all corrupt and funded by different interests why do you stand so firmly and exclusively behind one of the corrupt sides? I mean, you seem to have a very strong opinion behind this considering it's all tainted junk science.

I think the truth lies somewhere in between. I don't think that's a terribly radical stance.
Old 11-15-2012, 12:15 PM   #564
gstelmack
Pro Starter

I believe the main point is that over the last several years, we've had the "champions" pointing to growing temperatures each year as more proof, and predicting major increases in the near future. That chart shows that these "champions" are full of it.

Yes, we should probably be taking a longer-term view, but then the "champions" should stop with their short-term dire predictions.
Old 11-15-2012, 12:47 PM   #565
KWhit
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
I believe the main point is that over the last several years, we've had the "champions" pointing to growing temperatures each year as more proof, and predicting major increases in the near future. That chart shows that these "champions" are full of it.

Yes, we should probably be taking a longer-term view, but then the "champions" should stop with their short-term dire predictions.

How about we listen to scientists? I don't know who these "champions" are that you're referring to, but scientists are generally very cautious about prescribing any specific anomaly or temperature variance on climate change. They are looking at long term trends.

And the predictions that I'm aware of average around 3 degrees increase over the next 100 years. That's not really a short term prediction.
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 12:48 PM   #566
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

This is great.

Quote:
Here are three not-so trivial questions you probably won’t find in your next pub quiz. First, how much warmer has the world become since a) 1880 and b) the beginning of 1997? And what has this got to do with your ever-increasing energy bill?

The answer to the third question is perhaps the most familiar. Your bills are going up, at least in part, because of the array of ‘green’ subsidies being provided to the renewable energy industry, chiefly wind.

It isn't global demand, it's green energy subsidies!
Old 11-15-2012, 12:53 PM   #567
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

I <3 JediKooter.

That is all.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 12:57 PM   #568
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWhit View Post
How about we listen to scientists? I don't know who these "champions" are that you're referring to, but scientists are generally very cautious about prescribing any specific anomaly or temperature variance on climate change. They are looking at long term trends.

And the predictions that I'm aware of average around 3 degrees increase over the next 100 years. That's not really a short term prediction.

There's also others pointing to another Maunder Minimum by 2030-2050. I've also heard others (which is at odds with one of the charts JediKooter posted) say that the warming in the late 90s, that peaked in 98, was due to several long term trends all hit at the same time.

Also, back in the 80s, El Ninos were a once every 7 years event. Now we know they can occur more frequently (and have done so).

The point is, our climate is a very complicated beast, and we are only now unraveling how it works. We will continue to see more data and more contradictory data coming in, and it is only through honest assessment of this data that we will be able to put together a strong understanding of how our climate works.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 02:18 PM   #569
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWhit View Post
I don't know who these "champions" are that you're referring to

Just turn on the news or read nearly anything publically posted about climate change and global warming. You don't have to go farther than pretty much any pro-global-warming press release.
Old 12-07-2012, 09:02 AM   #570
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Al says Hurricane Sandy was a result of global warming.

Al Gore criticizes Obama on global warming | The Daily Caller
Old 02-21-2013, 08:57 AM   #571
NorvTurnerOverdrive
College Benchwarmer

i'm not saying. i'm just saying

NorvTurnerOverdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 08:23 AM   #572
lungs
Pro Rookie

Interesting talk about using cattle to stop desertification and help global warming:

http://www.ted.com/talks/allan_savor...te_change.html

Last edited by lungs : 03-06-2013 at 08:23 AM.
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 01:39 PM   #573
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by lungs View Post
Interesting talk about using cattle to stop desertification and help global warming:

http://www.ted.com/talks/allan_savor...te_change.html

That's awesome, definitely worth the 20 minutes to watch IMO.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 05:03 PM   #574
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

This is done by scientists unfortunately. We should wait for the uneducated opinions of people who are trying to score political points in their weird tribalism game.

Global warming is epic, long-term study says - CNN.com
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 07:34 PM   #575
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Three items:

1) the cut off for that is convenient. Coming out of the last ice age the temp jumped by a greater amount within a few decades. That is just outside of this time range.

2). The last 12,000 years is a drop in the bucket over the entire history of the earth.

3). This is one sample from one spot on the earth. That does not mean the same results occur globally.

However, let's not let a few issues get in the way of your regularly scheduled alarmism.
Old 03-08-2013, 08:53 PM   #576
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

No, we were waiting for the opinion of people who don't have advanced degrees in science. They are the ones who know what they are talking about. Not the people who are educated in it.

I know when I get sick the first person I look for is someone without a medical degree.
Old 03-08-2013, 10:40 PM   #577
Dutch
"Dutch"

Curious. What was the cause of the "1900-1909" decade registering as the coldest in the last 12,000 years?
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 12:33 AM   #578
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
Curious. What was the cause of the "1900-1909" decade registering as the coldest in the last 12,000 years?

It didn't register as the coldest in the last 12,000 years.
Old 05-16-2013, 12:14 PM   #579
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

We're going to die........again.

Hansen Says Tar-Sands Oil Makes Climate Change Unsolvable - Bloomberg
Old 05-16-2013, 12:28 PM   #580
CraigSca
Pro Starter

From the linked article:
"The scientist also said he’s working on a paper based on “speculative” research that indicates accelerating ice loss from Greenland will eventually cause the North Atlantic to cool, creating the conditions for more powerful storms along the lines of Hurricane Sandy, the largest Atlantic hurricane on record. "

Oh crap, it IS! (as of Nov. 29, 2012)
Greenland, Antarctica ice melt speeding up, study finds - CNN.com

Oh wait, no it's not (as of May 8, 2013)
Greenland Glaciers Not Melting as Quickly: Sea Level Rise Slower Than Predicted : Nature & Environment : Science World Report
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 12:52 PM   #581
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigSca View Post
Oh wait, no it's not

No, they still are, its just a question of how fast. Everybody isn't go to have the exact same projected rate. Your "zinger" article just says its "rapid" instead of "very rapid"
Old 05-16-2013, 01:04 PM   #582
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Quote:
No, they still are, its just a question of how fast. Everybody isn't go to have the exact same projected rate. Your "zinger" article just says its "rapid" instead of "very rapid"

Right - which is why I highlighted "accelerating" in my post.
how do you know?

Old 05-16-2013, 01:09 PM   #583
Blackadar
Retired

Quote:
Right - which is why I highlighted "accelerating" in my post.

Except the opening line of the second paragraph of your zinger article specifically states:

Quote:
Over the past decade, the melting seen on the Greenland Ice Sheet has been accelerating.

Did you read this before you bothered to link it?
Old 05-16-2013, 01:23 PM   #584
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
From the linked article:
"The scientist also said he’s working on a paper based on “speculative” research that indicates accelerating ice loss from Greenland will eventually cause the North Atlantic to cool, creating the conditions for more powerful storms along the lines of Hurricane Sandy, the largest Atlantic hurricane on record. "

Oh crap, it IS! (as of Nov. 29, 2012)
Greenland, Antarctica ice melt speeding up, study finds - CNN.com

Oh wait, no it's not (as of May 8, 2013)
Greenland Glaciers Not Melting as Quickly: Sea Level Rise Slower Than Predicted : Nature & Environment : Science World Report

Seriously, I'm always amused at the Drudge report reading types on this. Apparently science can be determined by some idiot looking outside and noticing its cold today - therefore Global warming is a crock.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 01:31 PM   #585
CraigSca
Pro Starter

You're right, my bad - I thought the ice sheet was not accelerating as much as originally thought in November, but when I look at the article, they're saying that the sea level may not be effected as much as previously thought.

Really, my point wasn't that global warming is a crock - my point is that we really don't know its extent.

Anyway, if I amused a few FOFCers today, then I did my part
how do you know?

Old 05-16-2013, 04:08 PM   #586
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapshoot View Post
Seriously, I'm always amused at the Drudge report reading types on this. Apparently science can be determined by some idiot looking outside and noticing its cold today - therefore Global warming is a crock.

I don't care what you say. We're all going to die. Especially if I move to the Northeast evidently.
Old 05-16-2013, 05:38 PM   #587
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Wow, most of the ice melt in Antarctica is on the western side where there is some volcanic activity. The other side is gaining mass.

It is not unprecedented for Greenland to have a smaller sheet, many expect that is why the Vikings were able to colonize it during the MWP. Advancing ice sheets forced the, to leave later.
Old 05-16-2013, 05:46 PM   #588
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapshoot View Post

Then stop telling me it's not a crock because there was a hurricane.
Old 05-21-2013, 03:28 PM   #589
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

We're all going to die.......again.

Boxer uses Okla. tornado to push carbon tax | The Daily Caller
Old 06-20-2013, 10:25 AM   #590
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

In the Midwest, we call this living too close to the water. On the coast, it's called global warming.

Will Climate Change Destroy New York City? - Yahoo! News
Old 06-20-2013, 01:24 PM   #591
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
IOn the coast, it's called global warming.
Because that's what it actually is.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 03:36 PM   #592
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
Because that's what it actually is.

Yeah, but I thought we were in a warming pause.

Dire outlook despite global warming 'pause': study

No, we're cooling...

To The Horror Of Global Warming Alarmists, Global Cooling Is Here - Forbes

What models can we trust?

Are climate change models becoming more accurate and less reliable? | The Curious Wavefunction, Scientific American Blog Network

The funny thing is I would love some more good old warming since more people would need to spend more money on their A/C units. But, unfortunately, I think we will be heading the other direction soon.

As I've said before, climate change is a big bogeyman. The climate is always changing (by definition) and that is not going to change.
Old 06-20-2013, 03:48 PM   #593
molson
General Manager

Looking up a few posts, I love how the thread's biggest attacker of the majority's global warming analyses uses a photo of a snowy day as his evidence.

Last edited by molson : 06-20-2013 at 03:48 PM.
Old 06-20-2013, 03:59 PM   #594
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhammer View Post
As I've said before, climate change is a big bogeyman. The climate is always changing (by definition) and that is not going to change.
Technically weather changes. Climate change is incrementally slow unless hastened by an outside force.

Guess it's the PR guy in me, but I just want to throttle almost everyone on both sides of this issue. The term "global warming" should never have been invented. It was based on preliminary science with all the facts. What we're learning is that with climate change, some places may get warmer and other places get cooler, or sometimes both in that the extremes are both higher and lower. On the other side, if you don't believe climate change is occurring for some reason (man made or otherwise), you're head is buried in the sand.

Anyone who claims to have a breakthrough on either side -- whether it's a study proving climate change is happening rapidly and we're all going to die, or it's someone who claims they have discovered a pattern proving everything is hunky dory and global warming is a vast conspiracy -- is lying.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 04:05 PM   #595
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcchief19 View Post
Anyone who claims to have a breakthrough on either side -- whether it's a study proving climate change is happening rapidly and we're all going to die, or it's someone who claims they have discovered a pattern proving everything is hunky dory and global warming is a vast conspiracy -- is lying.

Just out of curiosity, because it seems like you have a rational view on such things - what do you think then of big studies like the one cited above regarding potential climate change impact on a specific location like NYC? It's not quite an "everbody's going to die" proclamation, but they do seem to conclude that NYC faces some risk and needs to prepare. And there seems to be a lot of people involved in these conclusions.

And if both sides are nuts and possibly on the take - where does one get the correct info? Is there a middle side, and are they involved in any of these individual city studies or any of the other published scientific research?

Edit: Or in other words, should we try to do anything to prepare for this, or even mitigate it, or should we just write the whole thing of as the invention of a bunch of crazies. A bunch of really well-educated crazies.

Last edited by molson : 06-20-2013 at 04:37 PM.
Old 06-20-2013, 04:25 PM   #596
Blackadar
Retired

Quote:

No, we're cooling...

Are climate change models becoming more accurate and less reliable? | The Curious Wavefunction, Scientific American Blog Network

The funny thing is I would love some more good old warming since more people would need to spend more money on their A/C units. But, unfortunately, I think we will be heading the other direction soon.

I'm tired of this horseshit and frankly I'm not going to be nice about it anymore.

You might as well be posting that the Earth is fucking flat.

First of all, learn to properly vet your sources. If you're going to believe someone from the Heartland Institute and ACRU who has absolutely no education about climate change, then simply don't post. Don't waste people's time posting links to articles that have zero credibility. We shouldn't have to do it for you. Posting something from Peter Ferrara is like asking RJ Reynolds about the links between smoking and cancer in the mid-80s. The guy is specifically PAID by groups to spread FUD (if you don't know what that is, look it up). If you want to pay me enough money, I'm sure I could say that child molestation isn't harmful. It still wouldn't mean that I'd have any proof or that I'd even know what the hell I was talking about.

Secondly, stop trying to cherry pick soundbites like they're conclusions. You know that global warming "pause" you just linked? 1998 was the warmest year on record until last year. So that's a pause, right? Uh, no. The warmest 10 years on record have occurred since 1998. That's not a pause, it's a trend. If a string of numbers is as follows:

1, 2, 1, 3, 2, 4, 3, 5, 4, 6, 9, 7, 8, 9, 8, 9, 8, 8

That is not a flat graph indicative of a pause. That's a trend and this is just statistics 101. Math ain't that hard.

That same article? It's also predicting a raise of global temperature of 4C - consistent with pretty much the mean of virtually every other major study done in the last 15 years. So stop trying to impress people with misleading headlines and read the damn data behind it before you post anything.

Same thing goes with the American Scientific article. Yes, the models are more complex, leading to more variability. But again, going back to the source material, it still doesn't mean there's no climate change or even that there's a scientific debate about climate change. Here's the conclusion of that same study: "We do not need to demand impossible levels of certainty from the models to envisage a better, safer future.” More complex models are a good thing, even if they offer more uncertainty.

But guess what? There's still virtually no uncertainty! You may think that climate change is some hocus-pocus, but frankly your opinion isn't important. What is important is the science. The number of scientists who believe in climate change is 97% Of 13,950 peer-reviewed studies between 1991-2012, only 24 rejected climate change. In scientific terms, that's pretty much an absolute certainty.

I'm sure the Heartland Institute wants you to believe differently. After all, they're paid by Big Oil, Big Coal, the Koch Brothers and pretty much every other group who is threatened by having to clean up their pollution. You want to believe them? Then fine, go smoke some cigarettes because they don't cause cancer either.

I'm not fighting with you. I'm not going to bother asking you to actually learn something that might somehow threaten your preconceived notions. I'm just tired of Flat-Earthers like yourself trying to make a debate out of something that isn't debatable in that way. If you don't want to believe, then no one is ever going to make you believe. Just like I can't make you believe in gravity, evolution or that Paul wasn't dead. But don't waste our fucking time with stupid shit like that.

Last edited by Blackadar : 06-20-2013 at 04:26 PM.
Old 06-20-2013, 04:25 PM   #597
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

No, we're cooling...

So the first article says:
Quote:
Because of the hiatus, warming in the next 50 to 100 years "is likely to lie within the range of current climate models, but not at the high end of this range," said Alexander Otto of Oxford University's Environmental Change Institute, co-author of the new study.

The third article says:

Quote:
The article goes on to note that in spite of this growing uncertainty the basic predictions of climate models are broadly consistent.

And the second was written by a guy with this bio:
Quote:
I am Director of Entitlement and Budget Policy for the Heartland Institute, Senior Advisor for Entitlement Reform and Budget Policy at the National Tax Limitation Foundation, General Counsel for the American Civil Rights Union, and Senior Fellow at the National Center for Policy Analysis.
Old 06-20-2013, 07:15 PM   #598
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Just out of curiosity, because it seems like you have a rational view on such things - what do you think then of big studies like the one cited above regarding potential climate change impact on a specific location like NYC? It's not quite an "everbody's going to die" proclamation, but they do seem to conclude that NYC faces some risk and needs to prepare. And there seems to be a lot of people involved in these conclusions.

And if both sides are nuts and possibly on the take - where does one get the correct info? Is there a middle side, and are they involved in any of these individual city studies or any of the other published scientific research?

Edit: Or in other words, should we try to do anything to prepare for this, or even mitigate it, or should we just write the whole thing of as the invention of a bunch of crazies. A bunch of really well-educated crazies.

There's the danger of false equivalency and why it's so effective.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 07:31 PM   #599
Dutch
"Dutch"

Just for clarification (for myself and others)...Climate Change and Global Warming are two different things right?

Climate Change --> Natural change in global climates (Ice Ages are climate change).

Global Warming --> Man-made rise in global temps.

Agree or disagree?
Old 06-20-2013, 07:43 PM   #600
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike D View Post
Just for clarification (for myself and others)...Climate Change and Global Warming are two different things right?

Climate Change --> Natural change in global climates (Ice Ages are climate change).

Global Warming --> Man-made rise in global temps.

Agree or disagree?
Wrong. Climate change is the more accurate term for the changes the Earth's climate is experiencing. In most regions this results in warming, and overall, the Earth as a whole is warming, but the change doesn't mean every region on Earth is warming - climate is more complex than that.

Whether it is man-made or not has nothing to do with the terms.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote