Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-05-2013, 09:39 PM   #551
murrayyyyy
College Benchwarmer

Could they player option the fifth year?
murrayyyyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 09:44 PM   #552
murrayyyyy
College Benchwarmer

According to nbatv just now, kupchek says he has been informed by howard he will not be coming back. I miss the decision... would be better than this.
Old 07-05-2013, 09:44 PM   #553
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

So, basically, ESPN, especially Chris Broussard, was just full of shit.

Howard didn't change his mind back and forth but they wanted to get more eyeballs on ESPN and their Twitter jackassery. Should never have doubted Woj.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 07-05-2013 at 09:46 PM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 09:48 PM   #554
Subby
lolzcat

Broussard is an abomination before God.
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 09:48 PM   #555
murrayyyyy
College Benchwarmer

Woj started it today when he got scooped by someone else. Came out saying nothing is in stone then changed his tune when everyone payed attention to him.
Old 07-05-2013, 09:52 PM   #556
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

USA Today was the one who reported it first

SI

Old 07-05-2013, 10:10 PM   #557
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

from the bottom of the ESPN article

Quote:
By going to Houston, Howard will leave $9.3 million on the table in net guaranteed dollars, because he could have received a five-year deal and more money from the Lakers, rather than the four-year maximum deal he will get by signing with another team. This assumes that Howard will be a resident of Texas instead of California, since Texas has no state income taxes, while California has the highest state income taxes in the country.

Comparing just the first four years of what the Lakers could pay Howard with what the Rockets likely will pay him, Howard will net $2.6 million more after taxes in Houston if he becomes a Texas resident.
Old 07-05-2013, 10:13 PM   #558
nol
Banned

The Hawks just signed Paul Millsap for 2 years and $19 million.
nol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 10:15 PM   #559
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Paul Millsap to Atlanta, 2 yr/$19m. Demare Carroll also to the Hawks.

edit to add: Sorry Nol, you were quicker than me

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 07-05-2013 at 10:15 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 10:30 PM   #560
Bigsmooth
College Prospect

As much as I dislike Howard at this point, he is a pretty great fit in Houston. Asik was solid defensively but he couldn't run with the rest of that squad...he kind of lumbered up and down. With Howard crashing the lane and if they land a bomber like Ryan Anderson...whoa.
Bigsmooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 11:54 PM   #561
Groundhog
Coordinator

Millsap has to be one of the more underrated guys in the league. Going to be a lot more fun to watch than Josh Smith jacking up long jumpers, anyway.
Old 07-05-2013, 11:58 PM   #562
Groundhog
Coordinator

Well, it was pretty obvious that Howard was going to Houston for the past couple of days. Good luck to them, I like the team and the frontoffice, and maybe Dwight will be good enough to repair the damage he's done to his reputation these past couple of years.

I wonder what happens with Asik. The Rockets could end up with a couple of nice pieces after trading him away.
Old 07-06-2013, 12:24 AM   #563
Simbo Klice
High School Varsity

Man, if you look at who Houston had in 2011 and who they're going to roll out this year, it almost blows your mind. How do you do that in 2 years?

Also, we finally traded Royce White. I hope a plane crashes into his car on the way to Philadelphia.
Simbo Klice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 01:31 AM   #564
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post

I wonder what happens with Asik. The Rockets could end up with a couple of nice pieces after trading him away.

Or do it similar to Orlando with Gortat, keep him as insurance for now at least and see how things go with Howard. At the earliest they should trade at the deadline.
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 01:43 AM   #565
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simbo Klice View Post
Man, if you look at who Houston had in 2011 and who they're going to roll out this year, it almost blows your mind. How do you do that in 2 years?

You tank the season for those two or three years.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 02:13 AM   #566
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Sucks about Dwight leaving the Lakers. But he was never happy in LA.

Do the Lakers now have the worst team in the West for the start of the 2014 season?
Old 07-06-2013, 02:56 AM   #567
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

The lead to J.A. Adande's piece on espn.com

Quote:
There's a perfect word an NBA source used to describe the way Dwight Howard's free agency is sputtering to a close. Unfortunately, this is a family-friendly website, so it wouldn't be appropriate to use it. Let's just say the word rhymed with "custard truck."
Old 07-06-2013, 03:09 AM   #568
Izulde
Head Coach

mustard duck!

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 03:20 AM   #569
nol
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
You tank the season for those two or three years.

Uh, they've won more games than they've lost in each of those seasons. Try again.
nol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 05:45 AM   #570
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neon_Chaos View Post
Sucks about Dwight leaving the Lakers. But he was never happy in LA.

Do the Lakers now have the worst team in the West for the start of the 2014 season?

Is that a serious question? No team with Kobe will ever be the worst team in the west.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 07:34 AM   #571
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nol View Post
Uh, they've won more games than they've lost in each of those seasons. Try again.

Let try this a different way

[SARCASM START]

The only way to rebuild in the NBA is to completely gut your team, tank, and then get a #1 pick or get a top free agent. You can't just try to build a team while still trying to win games.

[SARCASM END]

This does not mean that the Rockets are going to win titles. I am just happy that the Rockets have not bought into the above narrative. Great job by Daryl Morey and the Rockets
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 07:48 AM   #572
Danny
Head Coach

Who did the heat get with the #1 pick to help them win titles? Lakers? Celtics?
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 08:35 AM   #573
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
Let try this a different way

[SARCASM START]

The only way to rebuild in the NBA is to completely gut your team, tank, and then get a #1 pick or get a top free agent. You can't just try to build a team while still trying to win games.

[SARCASM END]

This does not mean that the Rockets are going to win titles. I am just happy that the Rockets have not bought into the above narrative. Great job by Daryl Morey and the Rockets

I know I had a lot of fun at the playoff game last year

You know, during our tanking season

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 07-06-2013 at 08:38 AM.
Old 07-06-2013, 08:53 AM   #574
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post

I think you missed the "or get a top free agent" part. I'm guessing tanking isn't the way to go due to the fact that you need more parts to get back to the top and that's a far bigger gamble. The Cavs got to the title but couldn't win in in part because it was LeBron and the Cavs. Once he got to a team that had better support, he starts to win titles.
Old 07-06-2013, 11:42 AM   #575
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
Considering the talent level on Boston's team for the next few years, it will be an elite college team.

I'm more worried about the Boston media's effect on his psyche than his ability to run the team
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 11:54 AM   #576
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Is that a serious question? No team with Kobe will ever be the worst team in the west.

You mean the Kobe who is recovering from a major injury and will start the season as a 35 year old?

I hate Kobe, but he is a hell of a player. He is beyond driven. Yet I am not buying he can return in full force so quick.

I still do not belive the Lakers are worst in the west though. Gasol has more left than most people think. They are not winning a titlenect year, but they willbe ok.

Celtcs/Lakers both in. Rebuilding mode. Interesting world.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 12:02 PM   #577
fpres
High School JV

A nice graphic summarizing how Morey has transformed the Rockets over the past several seasons. The Harden-Howard and Parsons-Howard lines shouldn't be there, but the point remains.

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/28...dwight__2_.jpg

Source article: Dwight Howard signing with Rockets was a move years in the making - SBNation.com

fpres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 12:57 PM   #578
Blackadar
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post

I'll take missing the point for $100, Alex.
Blackadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 02:03 PM   #579
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Sigh. Pistons signed Josh Smith, 4 yrs, 56 mil.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 02:16 PM   #580
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post

As long as Atlanta isn't stuck with him any longer, it's a win afaic.
Old 07-06-2013, 03:14 PM   #581
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
The lead to J.A. Adande's piece on espn.com

Quote:
There's a perfect word an NBA source used to describe the way Dwight Howard's free agency is sputtering to a close. Unfortunately, this is a family-friendly website, so it wouldn't be appropriate to use it. Let's just say the word rhymed with "custard truck."

It seems like this is a common thought online but I've also seen others arguing that it isn't fair. This was largely media driven bullshit as others here have pointed out re: Broussard and Woj. One guy summarized it as...Howard took his visits, went home for a couple days to think, and then flew to LA to inform the Lakers he wasn't returning.

I'm not a Howard fan but I don't think he's being that big of a prick here.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 03:22 PM   #582
Blackadar
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post

Maybe they will be making a play for Rondo.
Blackadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 03:31 PM   #583
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
It seems like this is a common thought online but I've also seen others arguing that it isn't fair. This was largely media driven bullshit as others here have pointed out re: Broussard and Woj. One guy summarized it as...Howard took his visits, went home for a couple days to think, and then flew to LA to inform the Lakers he wasn't returning.

I'm not a Howard fan but I don't think he's being that big of a prick here.

I've been compiling the tweets from the last couple of days and that's what it's looking more and more like. He decided on Friday afternoon. Amick reported that Houston was a done deal but Howard's camp said nothing. He flew to LA to tell them he was leaving and then called the Rockets to say he was signing.

Between when it was reported that it was done and it was "officially" done- it was actually Kennedy sho'ing people away, saying it wasn't a done deal and Woj saying Howard's agent said nothing is done yet.

I think this was the courtesy meeting that was talked about a few days ago that he would talk to the Lakers last. But then Kennedy says this is one last chance for the Lakers to change his mind. Broussard lets loose his "it's 50/50 tweet" and, predictably, all hell breaks loose. Kennedy gets too over the top, trying to dispute previous claims. And then ESPN just throws gasoline on the fire so everyone watches the Dwecision last night, even tho the decision had already been made.

SI

Old 07-06-2013, 03:46 PM   #584
Izulde
Head Coach

at J-Suck getting that contract.

Old 07-06-2013, 04:20 PM   #585
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

im so glad the rockets didnt trade for that overrated atlanta guy.

Last edited by bulletsponge : 07-06-2013 at 04:24 PM.
bulletsponge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 02:20 AM   #586
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post

Kobe's realistically going to be out for a big part of the season, right?
Old 07-07-2013, 04:40 AM   #587
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpres View Post
A nice graphic summarizing how Morey has transformed the Rockets over the past several seasons. The Harden-Howard and Parsons-Howard lines shouldn't be there, but the point remains.

Harden and Parsons tagged along to make the pitch to Howard and "recruited" him all summer, guess that´s the idea with theese lines
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 11:13 AM   #588
Izulde
Head Coach

SL caveat and all that, but I've been impressed with Oladipo in the first half of this Magic/Celtics game. Kid's got hustle. Olynyk's shooting is just ridiculous, but dude is soft as a ho on D so far IMO. Loved watching Colton Iverson get up for the block like that. Always liked watching the kid after seeing him play against UNLV.

Old 07-07-2013, 07:26 PM   #589
Groundhog
Coordinator

I'm a bit shocked that Clips got Darren Collison for that money. Assuming they manage to sign a big or two for the bench, that's a pretty stacked roster.
Old 07-07-2013, 09:26 PM   #590
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neon_Chaos View Post
Kobe's realistically going to be out for a big part of the season, right?

Still better than the NBA's worst or currently bad because we are tanking.
Old 07-07-2013, 10:09 PM   #591
MrBug708
Head Coach

Bynum to the Cavs?
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 01:21 AM   #592
Groundhog
Coordinator

If it's for a sane amount of money, I wouldn't mind - the kind where if he falls to pieces, it's no big deal. If it's for $10m+ then... yikes. Maybe if we feed him whatever we fed Big Z after his foot issues early in his career. I would rather take a swing on Oden though.
Old 07-08-2013, 01:24 AM   #593
Groundhog
Coordinator

Sounds like a one-year deal. I'm fine with that. Pay him whatever you want and if he falls apart, he's still a trade chip come deadline with teams looking to unload someone for an expiring deal.
Old 07-08-2013, 01:57 PM   #594
korme
Go Reds

This is a great take on the Bobcats/Jefferson signing IMO:

Quote:
Ian Cohen: "I have showed I'm not just the black hole reputation I had years ago. … I showed people that I can do other things."

Who made the above statement? Is it …

1) Someone who got way too high listening to Modest Mouse’s The Moon & Antarctica and can’t even remember the lyrics to “Dark Center of the Universe.” He who without sin, cast the first stone and all.

2) The greatest player in Bobcats franchise history.

The answer is no. 2, but now ask yourself … who does that narrow things down to? Gerald Wallace? Emeka Okafor? Adam Morrison? Alexis Ajinca?

The answer is Al Jefferson, after the former Timberwolf and Jaz (I imagine that’s the singular form of “Jazz”) signed a three-year $41 million contract with the Bobcats last week and, as such, manifested Rod Higgins’s claim that the team would be “ultra aggressive” in free agency. In other words, as much as Jefferson wanted to prove he’s not the dark center of the Jazz’s offense (that quote was from last April), the Bobcats also wanted to prove they’re not a totally lifeless void.

It’s a perfect marriage: Al Jefferson’s going to almost certainly regain his 20-10 form because Michael Kidd-Gilchrist or Bismack Biyombo are only effective on the offensive end when treating the basketball like a hot potato topped with sizzling bacon and scalding Velveeta. And the Bobcats let the rest of the NBA know they’re a destination now — in theory, it reminds me of the Phillies signing the similarly all-offense, no-defense Jim Thome back in 2003 after years of both losing and being a total non-factor on the free-agency front. It wasn’t until Thome left that they started making their annual run to the playoffs, but nonetheless, it signified a culture change.

But it's a culture change at a time when the Bobcats’ unyielding futility is starting to prove ahead of its time: Preemptive tanking is all the rage in 2013 and the Bobcats are doing the equivalent of buying a full-price Banana Republic shirt for the first day of school, knowing full well it’ll be on sale like a week later. You’ll be presentable, not “cool.” And you’ll just end up resenting how much came out of pocket.

The player opt-out in Year 2 helps, but as of now, Jefferson will do the following things: (1) help you win a few games against the Bucks and Sixers of the world, and (2) serve as a defensive enforcer only in the respect that he’ll block Biyombo from meaningful playing time as he finishes his rookie contract. Just picture the Bobcats snagging yet another third or sixth or eighth pick in the lottery thanks to AJ’s career year and having Andrew Wiggins posterize that Cody Zeller/Al Jefferson frontcourt on repeat. But then again, this is a franchise that also hired Mark Price and Patrick Ewing as assistant coaches to show “we’re not playing around this year,” and it just looked like Michael Jordan was trolling his former adversaries, asking if legitimate coaching experience is worth more than the championship ring His Airness so frequently denied them. Jefferson might help the Bobcats suck less, but it’s just more proof that the Bobcats can’t even suck correctly.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 07:11 PM   #595
MrBug708
Head Coach

Chris Kamen on a one year deal with the Lakers
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 11:42 PM   #596
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackadar View Post
Depends on what you think about Monroe. He's a under-the-rim PF/C with soft hands, a scorer's touch and good vision. Defensively, about all you can say about him is that he tries hard. He's certainly a fine young player. But his per-36 went down last year and there's a prevailing school of thought that he's all he's ever going to be. While a 17/10 PF/C is nice to have, a defensively-challenged one is not someone you can build a team around. Of course if he manages to take The Leap, then he's one of the best big men in the league in which case getting him for Rondo would be a steal.

I don't know enough about Monroe to know whether he's maxed out or not. I'm not about to pass judgement on him. He's certainly a reasonable return for Rondo. A great return though? Only time would tell that.
Compared to every other potential deal I've seen recently Monroe is the only potential All-League level talent I've seen mentioned. And we don't really have many bad contracts to get rid of - maybe Brandon Bass if we trade for another big like Monroe, or need more 1st round picks that *might* be in the lottery in a few years (although those are always useful and I hope we can get 1-2 more). If Rondo comes back and looks healthy before the trade deadline comes around, we can probably get more then, but that's a gamble. If he misses the whole season, or looks less than 100% (which wouldn't be surprising coming off an ACL injury) suddenly he's not a guy on a fair contract for 2 years/postseasons, but instead a player less than 100% who's only a year away from the acquiring team having to decide whether to pay him a near-max level contract.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
Olynyk's shooting is just ridiculous, but dude is soft as a ho on D so far IMO.
Misspelling, or is that an expression I've never heard?
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 06:36 AM   #597
Dutch
"Dutch"

BREAKING NEWS: ESPN reporting that Kobe Bryant has stopped following Dwight Howard on Twitter.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 06:48 AM   #598
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike D View Post
BREAKING NEWS: ESPN reporting that Kobe Bryant has stopped following Dwight Howard on Twitter.

OH, THE HUMANITY!!!!
"General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him." Watership Down, Richard Adams
Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 06:53 PM   #599
murrayyyyy
College Benchwarmer

Rondo to Houston or Charlotte?

What's the Knicks and Nets win totals this year? 70 games because Philly and Boston will lose every game?
Old 07-09-2013, 07:19 PM   #600
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by murrayyyyy View Post
Rondo to Houston or Charlotte?

What's the Knicks and Nets win totals this year? 70 games because Philly and Boston will lose every game?

Eh, not a big change

Nets & Knicks were both 3-1 against both of them last season anyway. So +2 wins for each.