Old 01-05-2014, 03:19 PM   #553
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
RichRod is Louisville's top choice

This could potentially be bad.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 03:32 PM   #554
MrBug708
Head Coach

In what way?
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 05:34 PM   #555
Ragone
Pro Rookie

Rich rod got a raw deal at michigan.. He's done
Quite well at zona. I'd rather have narduzzi from mich state.. But I'd
Be ok with rich rod
Ragone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 05:37 PM   #556
Ragone
Pro Rookie

As far as strong at Texas goes.. Read pat fordes article on yahoo.. Strong
HATED dealing with media in a smaller market.. He outright refused
To deal with boosters.. That kinda stuff won't fly at Texas..
Old 01-05-2014, 08:12 PM   #557
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragone View Post
Rich rod got a raw deal at michigan..

You won't win this argument.
Old 01-05-2014, 08:34 PM   #558
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Seems like he has $5 million reasons per year to learn to adapt to his new responsibilities.
Old 01-05-2014, 08:54 PM   #559
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Drachma View Post
Seems like he has $5 million reasons per year to learn to adapt to his new responsibilities.

Plus it isn't like he has the resources of a dedicated TV network or anything like that to lean on and learn from. If games were won via press conferences, Mack Brown would have gone undefeated at Texas.

It will be interesting to see the change in environment for the football program. About the only trait Strong and Brown have in common is their ability to recruit.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 09:07 PM   #560
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
As far as strong at Texas goes.. Read pat fordes article on yahoo.. Strong
HATED dealing with media in a smaller market.. He outright refused
To deal with boosters.. That kinda stuff won't fly at Texas..

It will if he wins
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 01:28 PM   #561
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Charlie Strong said all the right things at his introductory press conference.

Strong's first press conference: 'The bricks are there' | Bevo Beat | www.statesman.com
Old 01-06-2014, 01:55 PM   #562
Ragone
Pro Rookie

5m from the 3.6ish mill isn't that big of a raise
... Not dealing with texas boosters will end up being
The problem.. Regardless I hope he does well..

Anyway, as long as Louisville doesn't even consider rehiring
Petrino I'm ok with the choice
Old 01-06-2014, 01:56 PM   #563
HomerSimpson98
High School Varsity

Let it be said that I like Charlie. In fact, I had him as 1a and Sumlin as 1b when we were looking for a coach. 1b sure has worked well for us. The D side of the ball will see noticeable improvement in Austin from Day 1. He employs the fast, athletic, attacking style of D that was the Whorns trademark back in their heyday in the early 2000s.

Having said that, I don't know if this marriage is going to work. The texas job is more than just X's and O's and as it stands now, Charlie is going to rankle some of those old Texas Ex's who like their bellies rubbed. If he wins right out of the gate, that shouldnt be a problem. If not? Unknown.

He also has to learn the state recruiting ropes and do it damn fast. He's relied on Florida for all his players in the past. And with Sumlin, Briles, Stoops, Gundy, KK, etc, he won't have a lack of competitors for top-flight Texas talent.

Also, I've seen question marks concerning the type of player he recruits. At Louisville, he had no problems bringing in the wayward son as long as he could play ball. The academic requirement differences between the 2 schools is substantial - will that a problem going forward as well?

All in all, I hope Charlie does well - as long as he doesn't mind playing second fiddle
HomerSimpson98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 02:02 PM   #564
cartman
Death Herald

I'm pretty certain he's going to keep the assistant coaches that have been recruiting Texas, like Wyatt, Rucker and Chambers. We'll find out by the end of the week who he is keeping from the current staff.

As for the boosters, that does have the potential to turn out badly. I think this is where keeping Mack Brown around the program could help. He can run interference.

Last edited by cartman : 01-06-2014 at 02:07 PM.
Old 01-06-2014, 03:26 PM   #565
Ragone
Pro Rookie

Looking at admissions.. There is 0 difference between ut Austin and Louisville..
So he'll have no problem getting in his wayward sons as you put it..
Old 01-07-2014, 09:01 AM   #566
HomerSimpson98
High School Varsity

Quote:
Looking at admissions.. There is 0 difference between ut Austin and Louisville..
So he'll have no problem getting in his wayward sons as you put it..

My apologies here. I spent some time yesterday trying to find the academic entrance requirements for athletes for both schools and came up empty. But I could have sworn I saw where the Big 12 has some of the more stringent academic requirements in the past, but I cant seem to prove it now. And since the institution can also impose additional requirements on its incoming student athletes, I thought Texas was even higher. But I have nothing to back that up except a fuzzy memory. Having said that, Texas got Jamal Charles into Austin and I still dont know if he can spell cat.
Old 01-07-2014, 11:51 AM   #567
Ragone
Pro Rookie

No biggie, it looks like my first thought was right though.
Boosters are going to be a problem for Charlie Strong..

NCAAF Red McCombs bashes Texas hire - ESPN
Old 01-07-2014, 12:14 PM   #568
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
No biggie, it looks like my first thought was right though.
Boosters are going to be a problem for Charlie Strong..

NCAAF Red McCombs bashes Texas hire - ESPN

Sounds like McCombs really has no idea what he is talking about. But then we already knew that because of his highly successful tenure as Vikings owner.
Old 01-07-2014, 12:21 PM   #569
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerSimpson98 View Post
But I could have sworn I saw where the Big 12 has some of the more stringent academic requirements in the past, but I cant seem to prove it now.
I'm sorry, but this just amuses the hell out of me.

The vast majority of schools use the NCAA minimum standards. There are a few select schools that voluntarily use higher standards for incoming freshmen - Stanford being a notable example, UCLA, and I would assume schools like Northwestern, Vanderbilt and Duke might as well (and there are probably a few others) - but most use the NCAA minimums, including highly prestigious universities like Cal-Berkeley.

Of course the schools that voluntarily use higher standards don't always use the same higher standards - it's widely believed Stanford relaxed their entrance requirements a bit when Harbaugh arrived, and I believe Mora has been pushing to relax standards a bit at UCLA. Notre Dame has had varying standards based on who the coach was and how hard they pushed back to get more marginal recruits admitted.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 12:37 PM   #570
HomerSimpson98
High School Varsity

CU-Tiger knows probably more about entrance requirements for student athletes, but I can tell you that there are more schools than you think that have higher standards than the NCAA minimum. I know Florida is one from the research I did yesterday and A&M has had guys cleared by the NCAA Clearinghouse but denied admission due to requirements. The NCAA's requirements themselves are becoming a little harder in a couple of years so maybe they will all be more inline with one another.

Edit: And to respond to your post, B12 academic requirements was a huge sticking point with Nebraska and Osborne when the Huskers were considering joining the conference. Huskers like their guys fast, strong, and very dumb.

Last edited by HomerSimpson98 : 01-07-2014 at 12:38 PM.
Old 01-07-2014, 02:27 PM   #571
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

USC has hired Defensive Line Coach Bo Davis who worked many years with Saban before joining Texas.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 02:33 PM   #572
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Happy that Golden is staying. He has a great recruiting class and last time we switched coaches, we lost Bridgewater.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 06:06 PM   #573
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
I'm sorry, but this just amuses the hell out of me.

The vast majority of schools use the NCAA minimum standards. There are a few select schools that voluntarily use higher standards for incoming freshmen - Stanford being a notable example, UCLA, and I would assume schools like Northwestern, Vanderbilt and Duke might as well (and there are probably a few others) - but most use the NCAA minimums, including highly prestigious universities like Cal-Berkeley.

Of course the schools that voluntarily use higher standards don't always use the same higher standards - it's widely believed Stanford relaxed their entrance requirements a bit when Harbaugh arrived, and I believe Mora has been pushing to relax standards a bit at UCLA. Notre Dame has had varying standards based on who the coach was and how hard they pushed back to get more marginal recruits admitted.

I call BS on NCAA minimum standards. Seems like some of these athletes do not even belong in high school, let alone being at a university (or if your name was Fab Melo, third grade).

CNN: Some college athletes play like adults, read like 5th-graders - CNN.com
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 06:15 PM   #574
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
I call BS on NCAA minimum standards. Seems like some of these athletes do not even belong in high school, let alone being at a university (or if your name was Fab Melo, third grade).

CNN: Some college athletes play like adults, read like 5th-graders - CNN.com

That article is a bit sensationalistic, TBH.

That said, NCAA bylaws *do* allow universities to have exceptions for student-athletes.

Quote:
NCAA Bylaw 14.1.5.1.1 states, “A student-athlete may be admitted under a special exception to the institution’s normal entrance requirements if the discretionary authority of the president or chancellor (or designated admissions officer or committee) to grant such exceptions is set forth in an official document published by the university (e.g., official catalog) that describes the institution’s admissions requirements.”

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 06:21 PM   #575
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
That article is a bit sensationalistic, TBH.

That said, NCAA bylaws *do* allow universities to have exceptions for student-athletes.

Hmm, I guess that explains how many of them are able to get in. But I am against this (and I have first-hand experience of what some student-athletes actually do and get away with academically). If a university wants field a sports team, then hire out athletes as employees of the university. Do not continue the mockery of an academic institution using exceptions and make them attend classes where they are taking the seats of real students.
Old 01-07-2014, 06:24 PM   #576
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

If you'd ever spent more than a week in admissions at even a non-scholarship university, you discover how many "special admit" classes institutions have. No matter what institution, they all have baselines they won't go lower than. Not every admissions director is just rolling over for [insert coach here] because no matter how much these guy control the pursestrings, there are just some that won't ever get in.

But when we're talking about billions of dollars in revenues generated across the board, people seem surprised to discover on Christmas Day that there's no Santa Claus.
Old 01-07-2014, 06:30 PM   #577
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
If you'd ever spent more than a week in admissions at even a non-scholarship university, you discover how many "special admit" classes institutions have. No matter what institution, they all have baselines they won't go lower than. Not every admissions director is just rolling over for [insert coach here] because no matter how much these guy control the pursestrings, there are just some that won't ever get in.

But when we're talking about billions of dollars in revenues generated across the board, people seem surprised to discover on Christmas Day that there's no Santa Claus.

Still doesn't explain the admission of Fab Melo.
Old 01-07-2014, 06:49 PM   #578
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
Still doesn't explain the admission of Fab Melo.

He was foreign. Different admissions committee at some schools.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 06:51 PM   #579
molson
General Manager

Quote:

How often does that happen though? Are there a lot of top-rated high school recruits who have big-school level talent whose playing days simply end because they can't get into college?
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 08:05 PM   #580
chadritt
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
How often does that happen though? Are there a lot of top-rated high school recruits who have big-school level talent whose playing days simply end because they can't get into college?

Id guess its why some players wind up going to JCs first.
chadritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 08:22 PM   #581
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post

Yes, it happens a lot. As mentioned, lots of kids end up not able to qualify or end up at JUCOs only to never be heard from again replaced by the latest flavor. Or who end up in college and fail out in their redshirt year. Or whatever.

The thing is, the system self-selects in a way. In HS the kids take the classes they can pass. In college, they're steered towards classes that keep them eligible and the coaches are less concerned often times whether the students are learning and more interested in ensuring they're eligible to practice, etc., or threatening to kick them to the curb for the legions of kids who want that spot.

So the students are victims to a system that adults perpetuate often because we're all being paid -- even the admissions counselors -- and the students are just that. We should know better and be more willing to say no, I think, when it doesn't serve as good an interest.

But a lot of it is often driven by altruism too and this idea that you have to give people a chance even when it's less than prudent to do so.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 08:57 PM   #582
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

It happen more than some might think. (NFL level talent withering on the vine post high school) but learning disabilities are all the new hotness, including performance anxiety... with the right LD diagnosis cocktail you can get verbal test administered without a witness.(I'll with hold names but myeast favorite piece of trash soon to be NFL bust college player fits this criteria)...And ADA can even trump a 4 ACT at a state college (we can't be discriminating now)

That said, most colleges have criteria at least slightly above NCAA guidelines. At least in name.

Now if you want to get my blood pressure up we can talk partial qualifiers...Marshall, WVU and ECU I'm looking at you. In fact I know one young man who was committed to both Clemson and UGA at diiferent times who failed the SC exit exam. ( for perspective my relatively bright 7th grade some has passed his already) and was admitted to Marshall. WITHOUT A HS DIPLOMA.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 09:18 PM   #583
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
It happen more than some might think. (NFL level talent withering on the vine post high school) but learning disabilities are all the new hotness, including performance anxiety... with the right LD diagnosis cocktail you can get verbal test administered without a witness.(I'll with hold names but myeast favorite piece of trash soon to be NFL bust college player fits this criteria)...And ADA can even trump a 4 ACT at a state college (we can't be discriminating now)

That said, most colleges have criteria at least slightly above NCAA guidelines. At least in name.

Now if you want to get my blood pressure up we can talk partial qualifiers...Marshall, WVU and ECU I'm looking at you. In fact I know one young man who was committed to both Clemson and UGA at diiferent times who failed the SC exit exam. ( for perspective my relatively bright 7th grade some has passed his already) and was admitted to Marshall. WITHOUT A HS DIPLOMA.

WVU hasn't allowed partial qualifiers since 2005.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 09:21 PM   #584
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:

It's been almost 9 years since WVU was able to accept partial qualifiers.

Doc Holliday is building Marshall by landing partial qualifiers that are steered his way by guys he has connections to (such as Urban Meyer). The number of 3-4 star players he's brought to Marshall as partial qualifiers is staggering.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 09:23 PM   #585
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post

because partial qualifiers would exceed the standard for West Virginia. j/k
Old 01-08-2014, 07:19 AM   #586
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
It's been almost 9 years since WVU was able to accept partial qualifiers.

Doc Holliday is building Marshall by landing partial qualifiers that are steered his way by guys he has connections to (such as Urban Meyer). The number of 3-4 star players he's brought to Marshall as partial qualifiers is staggering.

Total brain fart on my part. I knew that. thanks.
To be fair, they were never as bad as the other two about it.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 08:26 AM   #587
MrBug708
Head Coach

I know of a football player who is in a PAC-12 school where he was allowed 8 days to take the SAT due to a learning disability which he didn't have. Just get it on the IEP and it's gotta be followed.

It's not just athletes though. Harvard-Westlake, a pretty prestigious Academic powerhouse school in LA had the highest percentage of IEP's to student ratio in the country. Students were able to get a doctor to sign off on something like performance anxiety and the teachers would go to the district, get the IEP completed, and receive the extra time to help improve their scores in getting into Harvard, Yale, Stanford, whatever school they wanted to.
Old 01-08-2014, 11:04 AM   #588
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

LOL

Louisville Cardinals interview Bobby Petrino - ESPN
Old 01-08-2014, 11:53 AM   #589
Ronnie Dobbs3
High School Varsity

Pat Forde: Petrino hiring imminent

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/sources...174716054.html

Last edited by Ronnie Dobbs3 : 01-08-2014 at 11:54 AM.
Ronnie Dobbs3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 12:00 PM   #590
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs3 View Post

This just has disaster written all over it. Though it'll be interesting to see if the disaster comes on the field or off.
Old 01-08-2014, 12:17 PM   #591
cartman
Death Herald

My guess any landmines are off the field. His college coaching record is 83-30.
Old 01-08-2014, 01:35 PM   #592
HomerSimpson98
High School Varsity

Wow. just wow. Not to mention that he is a giant doucher, but didn't he leave Kragthorpe with a team in ruins, chaos, and devoid of talent? Ragone, your thoughts?
Old 01-08-2014, 01:38 PM   #593
HomerSimpson98
High School Varsity

Quote:
(I'll with hold names but myeast favorite piece of trash soon to be NFL bust college player fits this criteria)...And ADA can even trump a 4 ACT at a state college (we can't be discriminating now)

JaDaveon does not approve of this message
Old 01-08-2014, 01:46 PM   #594
molson
General Manager

Do they have job lined up for the mistress too?
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 01:47 PM   #595
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
My guess any landmines are off the field. His college coaching record is 83-30.

My theory remains that coaches only get so much karma and going to a new place takes away from said pool. If I'm going after the same recruits as he is, I'm going to have a field day.
Old 01-08-2014, 02:08 PM   #596
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
UMass has taken a decent number of partial qualifiers/"Prop 48" guys in basketball (although I'm pretty sure all of them did have a HS diploma). Like any system, it can be abused by unscrupulous coaches, and some of them quickly fail out, but we've also had a number of players from real bad backgrounds who graduated in 4 years, became the first person in their family to graduate college, etc. Lou Roe, Tyrone Weeks, Rashaun Freeman are just a couple off the top of my head, and they're all great representatives for the University. Even now our star big man Cady Lalanne would've been at Auburn, one of our (redshirt) freshman was a non-qualifier who paid his own way and sat out his 1st year on campus, and we've got another 4* commit to VaTech Donte Clark who is sitting out this year as a partial-qualifier. (We've also had a few guys none of you would've ever heard of that came under the same protocol and quickly failed out academically, or more often got kicked out for character issues.) I have no problem with schools offering chances to kids like that, as long as they're held to the same standards as others once they're on campus.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 05:44 PM   #597
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Al is out at Michigan. About time.
Old 01-08-2014, 05:45 PM   #598
MrBug708
Head Coach

Talk of Mazzone being targeted
Old 01-08-2014, 06:07 PM   #599
Ragone
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerSimpson98 View Post
Wow. just wow. Not to mention that he is a giant doucher, but didn't he leave Kragthorpe with a team in ruins, chaos, and devoid of talent? Ragone, your thoughts?

Honestly, at first I was horrified by the thought..
However from my understanding, his contract
Will be easily void able if he violates moral clauses.. Now what
Those constitute who knows.. Personally I'd fire him on the spot
If he so much as makes googly eyes at another school..

Bottom line, I trust tom Jurich.
Old 01-09-2014, 06:38 AM   #600
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Honestly, at first I was horrified by the thought..
However from my understanding, his contract
Will be easily void able if he violates moral clauses.. Now what
Those constitute who knows.. Personally I'd fire him on the spot
If he so much as makes googly eyes at another school..

Bottom line, I trust tom Jurich.

I don't think you should be worrying about Louisville's ability to get out of anything with Petrino (beyond likely having good lawyers, at the very least, they have the kind of money where the next move wouldn't be a concern) but by what would be left behind if/when he leaves. Your team and Arkansas were in complete shambles when he left, with players who could play in no other system. That plus Jurich went on record post-Petrino talking about how many players he brought in that they had to kick off the team for various reasons.

That being said, he obviously wins.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote