Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-21-2013, 08:27 PM   #551
INDalltheway
College Benchwarmer

I think there are a couple Sony PR employees ITT.
INDalltheway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 08:38 PM   #552
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

There are people with pro-Sony viewpoints, sure.

Up till today, I definitely wasn't one of them. Neither were most of the others disgusted by Microsoft's decisions
Old 05-21-2013, 08:48 PM   #553
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

FTR, I've never owned a Sony console, and don't have any interest in one for my personal use today either. The most likely outcome I see is the end to my second era of console gaming (and likely most gaming in general, I have very little interest in going back to the p.c. route, as I've noted previously).
Old 05-21-2013, 08:52 PM   #554
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
There are people with pro-Sony viewpoints, sure.

Up till today, I definitely wasn't one of them. Neither were most of the others disgusted by Microsoft's decisions

Disgusted? Really?
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 09:06 PM   #555
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
Disgusted? Really?

Yup.

Spits in the face of gamers, and locks down the system under pressure from publishers.
Old 05-21-2013, 09:09 PM   #556
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
How is this that much worse than Steam? From everything I've seen, it looks to work the same way.
Old 05-21-2013, 09:13 PM   #557
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Because steam is about nothing BUT the software (games/programs), and holds sales to ridiculous amounts. Xbox One is about everything but the software and doesn't know a sale if it bit them on their ass.
Old 05-21-2013, 09:15 PM   #558
cartman
Death Herald

Quote:
Because steam is about nothing BUT the software (games/programs), and holds sales to ridiculous amounts. Xbox One is about everything but the software and doesn't know a sale if it bit them on their ass.

Jumping the gun a bit? Under Xbox Live on the 360 they have done sales on downloadable games, that were cheaper than the disc versions.
Old 05-21-2013, 09:26 PM   #559
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Steam's also a hell of a lot lighter in DRM than what came before it.. unlike Microsoft which is going 210 MPH in the other direction.
Old 05-21-2013, 09:36 PM   #560
mckerney
Coordinator

For me the used game thing really doesn't bother me. How one console handles used games versus the other really won't have any impact on what I buy for the next generation.

I've owned both Sony and Microsoft consoles in the past, but being I play primarily on PC and it's incredibly unlikely I'll play something on console if it's available on PC. I also don't watch much live TV and what I do watch I do on my computer also (my PS3 is hooked up to my computer monitor anyway).

So pretty much the only deciding factor is games for me, specifically the system exclusives. So while I can easily see the TV stuff leading to the XBox One being the top selling system this generation, when almost all the game stuff is EA Sports and Call of Duty and the PS4 reveal was nearly all about games then yeah, I'm more excited about the prospect of getting a PS4 at this point.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 09:36 PM   #561
cartman
Death Herald

Quote:
Steam's also a hell of a lot lighter in DRM than what came before it.. unlike Microsoft which is going 210 MPH in the other direction.

How so? We really haven't seen any details yet. I don't hear about people complaining about not being able to resale games they've bought on Steam, or not being able to lend one of the games to a friend.
Old 05-21-2013, 10:46 PM   #562
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

What a mess. When Microsoft can't even give you a straight answer, you know there's some things they're trying not to tell you. Totally baffling.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 11:11 PM   #563
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I don't hear about people complaining about not being able to resale games they've bought on Steam, or not being able to lend one of the games to a friend.

That's not really a part of the p.c. gaming culture historically though, is it?
Old 05-21-2013, 11:18 PM   #564
bhlloy
Coordinator

Right. Comparing PC gaming and Steam where maybe the top 5% of games are 60 bucks when they come out to a system where 95% of the games come out at 60 bucks and stay that way for at least a couple years new is stupid.

I probably average one full price console game a year. But Gamefly + used makes it worth me owning the console anyway, with this new business model I just won't bother.

Speaking of Gamefly, their business model is completely shot. Might as well prepare to start closing the doors now.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 09:37 AM   #565
mckerney
Coordinator

This is incredibly disappointing news if true.

Xbox One won't allow indies to self-publish g - Video Game News, Videos and File Downloads for PC and Console Games at Shacknews.com

Last edited by mckerney : 05-22-2013 at 09:38 AM.
Old 05-22-2013, 10:17 AM   #566
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Just means more business for the one console that was Kickstarted.
Old 05-22-2013, 10:21 AM   #567
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

I wont buy this XBox for a variety of reasons. One, I tend to buy a different console each generation, and then pick up games from the previous generation wanted but could;t play. So I picked up fun PS games on m PStwo, fun XBox games for my 360, etc.

Assuming its backward compatible, I suspect PS4 is my choice. But the lack of backwards compatibility on the XB1 for me is a huge non-selling feature. I loved the backwards compatibility of Nintendo's handhelds, and I buy a lot of games there because with one handheld i can access more than 10 years of great games. I want that with any system I buy. If I were to purchase the XB1 I don;t want to have to keep my other system still out that's silly.

I have purchased a lot of used games through the years too, and that's a major turn off.

So, as of right now, PS4 is in the run for my next gen console. Now, they could screw it up, and then I might pass on both. But right now, they are looking better and better.

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 10:26 AM   #568
cartman
Death Herald

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abe Sargent View Post
Assuming its backward compatible, I suspect PS4 is my choice.

The PS4 won't be backwards compatible either.

Sony Thought 'Long and Hard' Over PS4's Lack of Backward Compatibility - Push Square
Old 05-22-2013, 10:27 AM   #569
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
Just means more business for the one console that was Kickstarted.

We'll see, its likely the games that indie devs would want to put out on the XBox wouldn't run on the Ouya though.
Old 05-22-2013, 10:32 AM   #570
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:

No chance it's backwards compatible when they are going from the cell processor to x86.
Old 05-22-2013, 11:11 AM   #571
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Well that sucks

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 11:22 AM   #572
Easy Mac

I guess google completely missed the boat with the Google TV.

The xbox one just seems like a Google TV that can play games.

The ouya just seems like a Google TV that lacks the TV part.

If they tried earlier, Google could have dominated the mid-range game market and set top box market.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 12:21 PM   #573
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

That's a big surprising given how wide the barn door has been left open on the PS4 as far as indie developers go. Sony is bending over backward to get indie developers on their store this generation.
Old 05-22-2013, 12:37 PM   #574
AENeuman
College Benchwarmer

when xbox changed their home screen to mostly ads and made looking for new games and demos many clicks away they lost me.

With the popularity of tablets it seems that android and particularly apple will soon get the TV-game-internet thing down. lots of weak tries so far, but having an ipad meld with the tv seems a lot more fluid than what xbox is tiring to do.also, imo, there is no way people are going to embrace a machine that requires a separate keyboard, that is old Microsoft thinking

apple used a decade of failed tablets to create the first great (accepted) one. i could see them doing the same thing with this holy grail goal of merging all media devices
AENeuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 02:17 PM   #575
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

This article talks about the specs on each console as far as raw horsepower......

Xbox One Vs PlayStation 4: Spec Battle Won by Sony | BGR

While it's pretty clear that the PS4 has more behind it, I think the key question is going to be price point. Will MS be able to make the X1 cheaper based on the lower horsepower? Will it matter that the horsepower is lower if the developers develop for the lowest common denominator or will they develop to the highest level possible on each console?
Old 05-22-2013, 05:33 PM   #576
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

The back compat stuff doesn't really surprise me. I'm not interested in all the entertainment stuff and really hate Kinect and motion control stuff...right now, the PS4 has the edge for me so far, but I don't think I'm buying either console at launch. I'm quite happy with my 3DS and iPhone and Vita.

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 09:30 PM   #577
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
This article talks about the specs on each console as far as raw horsepower......

Xbox One Vs PlayStation 4: Spec Battle Won by Sony | BGR

While it's pretty clear that the PS4 has more behind it, I think the key question is going to be price point. Will MS be able to make the X1 cheaper based on the lower horsepower? Will it matter that the horsepower is lower if the developers develop for the lowest common denominator or will they develop to the highest level possible on each console?

I'll be surprised if there's really any difference in the look of the games on the two systems. When you include the PC, this generation has been a shining example of developers choosing to develop for the lowest common denominator.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 10:45 PM   #578
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
I'll be surprised if there's really any difference in the look of the games on the two systems. When you include the PC, this generation has been a shining example of developers choosing to develop for the lowest common denominator.

Yeah, I don't see specs determining which is the most popular this generation when they are fairly similar.
Old 05-23-2013, 11:33 AM   #579
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

This play from NCAA Football 10 is definitely not named after Tim Tebow | For The Win
Old 05-23-2013, 11:52 AM   #580
Kodos
Resident Alien

Right now I'm a strong PS4 lean, but see no need to buy it until a couple years from now. Content with my 360 and PS3.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 12:20 PM   #581
mckerney
Coordinator

Started to get into the Metal Gear series so I know something about the game world when I play Revengeance and I started with Metal Gear Solid at the suggestion of a friend. So far it has mostly reinforced the thought that 3D games on PS1 have aged worse than any other era of games. The controls are just awful without analog sticks when compared to any game from the last decade and it makes the gameplay awful. The low poly 3D graphics may have aged even worse.
Old 05-24-2013, 02:13 PM   #582
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Are we 100% sure that Microsoft didn't partner with the FBI for this game?

The Xbox One can talk to you, will feature remote play | Polygon

In one scenario, Kinect used its facial recognition to scan a room full of people and note if there was someone in the room it didn't recognize. It then told the console owner that there is someone in the room it didn't recognize and asked the new person to identify themselves. Once the person said their name, Kinect welcomed them and saved their information to the console.
Old 05-26-2013, 08:05 AM   #583
Dutch
"Dutch"

Command And Conquer - Tiberian Dawn - HTML5

The original C&C recreated using HTML5.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 08:21 AM   #584
chinaski
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike D View Post
Command And Conquer - Tiberian Dawn - HTML5

The original C&C recreated using HTML5.

Awesome! Spent thousands of hours with this back in the day. Was even in the top 20 on Case's Ladder.
chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 02:46 PM   #585
WVUFAN
College Starter

If the concept mentioned earlier (Gamer A sells game to Gamestop, Gamer B buys used game, installs it on X1, Gamer A's version deactivates), then it's ok. This means Gamestop and the used game market can (mostly) continue to work as normal.

If you buy the used game, then have to pay MS MORE money to activate it, Microsoft will never get another penny from me. The great majority of games I purchase are used from Best Buy and Gamestop, and this will effectively kill that.

WVUFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 04:02 PM   #586
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVUFAN View Post
If you buy the used game, then have to pay MS MORE money to activate it, Microsoft will never get another penny from me. The great majority of games I purchase are used from Best Buy and Gamestop, and this will effectively kill that.

I think it depends on what the addition MS charge is. If MS charges $10 to activate a used game, then GameStop just has to charge $10 less for the physical copy, which means they pay the end-user $10 less for the disc. So ultimately it doesn't hurt the guy who buys used games as much as it hurts the guy who sells new ones to GameStop, right?
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 05:02 PM   #587
Mota
College Benchwarmer

If Gamestop is charging $10 less for the physical copy, then that pretty much means you'll get about $0.03 on your trade-ins since they are already ripping people off. Right now they're getting away with charging $5 less than retail on most new product which I think is insane. I don't see the model working, but of course we'll have to wait until we get exact info before that's definite.
Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 05:22 PM   #588
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
I think it depends on what the addition MS charge is. If MS charges $10 to activate a used game, then GameStop just has to charge $10 less for the physical copy, which means they pay the end-user $10 less for the disc. So ultimately it doesn't hurt the guy who buys used games as much as it hurts the guy who sells new ones to GameStop, right?

While I don't believe there's a chance in hell the surcharge will be as low as $10, even at that amount, how many games actually have a trade-in value above that amount now? It's a pretty short list.
Old 05-27-2013, 07:10 PM   #589
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Been playing Sleeping Dogs on the PS3 since it's free on PS+. Fantastic game, especially at that price.
Old 05-27-2013, 07:38 PM   #590
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post

Sorry, but according to the stuff out to retailers (or at least the stuff that retailers are apparently leaking), Microsoft will demand that used games, AT MOST, be 10% off new cost.

And that there's an activation cost to buy a used game,but they're currently requiring the retailer to play it.
Old 05-28-2013, 03:01 AM   #591
Jughead Spock
High School Varsity

I'm pretty sure my life as I know it ends on Friday when I get early access to Marvel Heroes. Played the beta, which was my first mistake. It's been nice knowing you all.
Jughead Spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 03:03 AM   #592
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

I'm still hearing lukewarm things about it and videos are backing that up. The only character that seems actually fun is Hulk.
Old 05-28-2013, 03:14 AM   #593
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Played the Beta for it, wasn't impressed really. The gameplay is kinda bland and the graphics are unimpressive.
Old 05-28-2013, 07:25 AM   #594
Thomkal
Head Coach

Yeah not impressed either with graphics and gameplay. And I really didn't like playing as one of an infinite Spiderman for instance instead of your own unique hero.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 12:49 PM   #595
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Got Injustice: Gods Among Us today for $35 at Amazon today. I forsee some serious Father-Son hero fights coming down soon!
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 03:18 PM   #596
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Online pressure ramping up hoping to get limited or no DRM on PS4.

http://kotaku.com/ps4nodrm-the-next-...-son-510143287

PlayStation fans flock to Twitter to protest DRM - NBC News.com

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 05-28-2013 at 03:19 PM.
Old 05-29-2013, 03:45 PM   #597
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Fantastic news here. Love that you can play any PS4 game you purchase on your Vita as well. Really shouldn't be that tough for developers and it should help the Vita quite a bit, especially if games remain at the $60 retail price point.

Rumor: Sony making Remote Play mandatory with PS4 [update: Sony confirms] | Joystiq
Old 05-29-2013, 06:51 PM   #598
cartman
Death Herald

If you order the Madden NFL 25 Anniversary Edition from Amazon, you get a code giving you PC/Tablet/Mobile device access to NFL Sunday Ticket for the 2013 season, and you don't have to sign-up for DirecTV to use it. For a $40 premium over the normal game price, that is a pretty good deal.

Amazon.com: Madden NFL 25 Anniversary Edition: Xbox 360: Video Games

Last edited by cartman : 05-29-2013 at 06:51 PM.
Old 05-29-2013, 07:13 PM   #599
Groundhog
Coordinator

I don't see myself buying an Xbox because, a) I had 3 bricked 360s, and b) it's region locked. The PS4 may well be region locked as well, but so far it hasn't been confirmed or denied.
Old 05-29-2013, 07:33 PM   #600
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
If you order the Madden NFL 25 Anniversary Edition from Amazon, you get a code giving you PC/Tablet/Mobile device access to NFL Sunday Ticket for the 2013 season, and you don't have to sign-up for DirecTV to use it. For a $40 premium over the normal game price, that is a pretty good deal.

Amazon.com: Madden NFL 25 Anniversary Edition: Xbox 360: Video Games

Wait.. what?

If I buy this game, I can get the sunday ticket package for next season for free? That is the package where you can watch the games live right? not just the next day recaps and such? I've been wanting a way to do this without direct tv for years... For this deal, I likely would buy this game even if I wasn't going to play it once.

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote