Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AENeuman View Post
Good call

Thank you sir
Old 11-01-2010, 11:05 PM   #5953
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

What a season. Wow. Still speechless. I cried. A lot. Amazing.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 11:12 PM   #5954
sooner333
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II View Post
What a season. Wow. Still speechless. I cried. A lot. Amazing.

I can't say I cried, but I almost did when my Mom texted me to say how proud my grandpa would have been. When I was growing up we lived about a half hour away from my grandparents and I'd spend quite a few weekends with them. We would watch the Giants every night I was over there during the summer--almost without fail. It's really why I'm a Giants fan now--living in the East Bay it would have been easy to be an A's fan instead. I wish he was here to see it.
sooner333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 11:42 PM   #5955
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Tzu View Post
Woohoo!!! CHAMPS BABY! WE'RE NUMBER ONE! WE'RE NUMBER ONE!

Thats what is great about your cities team winning the title. You can go around hugging and taking pictures with random girls.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 12:30 AM   #5956
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

The rookie won the key game 4 in this series. Congrats to the Giants and their fans. Also, very impressive run Texas. The future is bright.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 11-02-2010 at 12:30 AM.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 12:46 AM   #5957
MrBug708
Head Coach

Maybe I'm spoiled as a fan of Los Angeles based teams, but crying? There's no crying in baseball!

Anyhow, congrats to Evil, you guys earned the WS title this year
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 01:31 AM   #5958
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Now I can die in peace.

HOLY FUCKING AMAZING.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 02:25 AM   #5959
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

I don't want to go to sleep. I would like this night to continue.

I'm pretty sad that the season is over. The ride was amazing, and I didn't want it to end yet. I mean, I totally did, but...yeah. That was a blast.
Old 11-02-2010, 04:57 AM   #5960
Thomkal
Head Coach

Congrats to the Giants fans, condolensces to the Rangers fans. But hey you at least made it to your first world series.
Thomkal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 05:53 AM   #5961
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

To my fellow Giants fans on this board: Vince, King, AE, Sun, Sooner, Crapshoot....it's been a long time coming, but it FUCKING HAPPENED!

Enjoy this...it may never happen for us again. I can honestly say that 2002 killed the dream for me. I felt it would take something incredible to bring the Giants even that close again. This season was not a miracle, though. Well, this postseason was not a miracle. During the postseason, this team was not even close to having a challenger. The Giants had a far superior 4-man rotation than any other team. Getting there during the regular season was the miracle. The lineup was SHIT for the first half of the season. Without the pitching staff, this team would have been 15 games out at the break. Give credit to Barry Zito, who had his best performances in the first part of the season, when Todd Wellemeyer wasn't just a haunting memory. Give credit to Bengie Molina, who was a pro throughout the times when he was a lame-duck.

Give credit to Brian Sabean, who made many moves to get major league hitters into this lineup. Give credit to Dick Tidrow, whose recent track record seems to be bulletproof.

Give credit to yourselves, for watching terrible teams for so many years, for having to fight off Barry Bonds related shrapnel.

Revel in it.
Old 11-02-2010, 06:10 AM   #5962
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlifornia View Post
To my fellow Giants fans on this board: Vince, King, AE, Sun, Sooner, Crapshoot....it's been a long time coming, but it FUCKING HAPPENED!

Enjoy this...it may never happen for us again. I can honestly say that 2002 killed the dream for me. I felt it would take something incredible to bring the Giants even that close again. This season was not a miracle, though. Well, this postseason was not a miracle. During the postseason, this team was not even close to having a challenger. The Giants had a far superior 4-man rotation than any other team. Getting there during the regular season was the miracle. The lineup was SHIT for the first half of the season. Without the pitching staff, this team would have been 15 games out at the break. Give credit to Barry Zito, who had his best performances in the first part of the season, when Todd Wellemeyer wasn't just a haunting memory. Give credit to Bengie Molina, who was a pro throughout the times when he was a lame-duck.

Give credit to Brian Sabean, who made many moves to get major league hitters into this lineup. Give credit to Dick Tidrow, whose recent track record seems to be bulletproof.

Give credit to yourselves, for watching terrible teams for so many years, for having to fight off Barry Bonds related shrapnel.

Revel in it.

I hope he gets the credit he deserves. He sure as hell got the ass ripping.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 06:29 AM   #5963
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Congrats Giants' fans...ya'll deserve it.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 07:53 AM   #5964
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Congrats to the Giants and their fans. I'm sure Pat Burrell appreciates being taken off the hook from one of the most memorably ugly stat lines anyone has ever put up in a WS (I think it was 11 Ks in 13ABs? Yikes!).

So my wish list for free agency is for Cliff Lee to stay in Texas (stay away from NY and Minnesota, please), and for Detroit to sign Crawford, Victor Martinez, and luck into a couple low-cost, short-term starting pitcher gems. I'd also like to see the Phillies trade Ryan Howard for Prince Fielder (simply to exchange contracts), but I know that ain't happening.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 09:01 AM   #5965
samifan24
Pro Starter

How do the Tigers have enough cash to sign both Crawford and V-Mart?
Old 11-02-2010, 11:17 AM   #5966
AENeuman
College Benchwarmer

I wonder if looking back the Giants winning will not seem so improbable. The team with the lowest era, baa, and the most saves, k's, and shut outs won the world series.
AENeuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 11:24 AM   #5967
Rizon
Pro Starter

Pretty wild. I'm not a Giants fan, but out of all the sports teams in the Bay Area they're the only ones that will be winning a championship for a long, long time, so I had to support them. People were shooting fireworks, dancing in the streets (without getting shot), sharing pizza and drinks, smoking cigars, cheering to/from cars as they go by (no drive-bys omg!). Good times.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
I don't think I'd stop even if I found a dick.
Rizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 11:41 AM   #5968
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Thats what is great about your cities team winning the title. You can go around hugging and taking pictures with random girls.

My ridiculously hot (pictured) wife thinks you're "dumb."

I had a friend watch the game from outside the Civic Center with several thousand other people. He sent me a picture and it looked incredible. It looks like they set up a massive projector on a screen.

Then, at 12:05am (4.5 hours after the game ended) I got another text, followed by a five second video. I'm going to see if I can upload it on here. The text message said:

"The riot cops just shattered my phone. No joke"

The video was priceless...I'll get to work on it. And yes, YES there is crying in baseball, but only if you've just won a championship.

*edit* Ok, so here's the first picture he sent me from outside the Civic Center. Makes me wish we made the trek down there for this alone.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0038[1].JPG (228.4 KB, 140 views)

Last edited by Sun Tzu : 11-02-2010 at 11:46 AM.
Sun Tzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 11:48 AM   #5969
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

I was down in Palo Alto (yesterday was my 28th birthday, so doing dinner with the family). I have never wished I lived in the city more.
Old 11-02-2010, 11:50 AM   #5970
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

I'm going to be at tomorrows Parade. If anyone here would like to join me, let me know and we can trade contact info/meet up. Should be a blast!

Happy B-day Crapshoot...we're both 28!

Last edited by Sun Tzu : 11-02-2010 at 11:50 AM.
Old 11-02-2010, 11:54 AM   #5971
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Alright...here's the video he sent me.

Old 11-02-2010, 11:55 AM   #5972
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Heh...other than the wives who are actual members here, I probably recognize your wife more than any other woman related to FOFC or FOFC members, courtesy of your cross-country trip with all your photos, Sun Tzu. I guess Lathum didn't follow along.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 11:56 AM   #5973
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Thanks Chief
Old 11-02-2010, 11:56 AM   #5974
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
I'm going to be at tomorrows Parade. If anyone here would like to join me, let me know and we can trade contact info/meet up. Should be a blast!

I hope you two have your parent permission slips signed before going to the parade.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 11:56 AM   #5975
AENeuman
College Benchwarmer

I live next to the beach and it was fun crazy. Lots of fireworks. Never been so glad to live near all the illegal Chinese firework homes.
AENeuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 12:03 PM   #5976
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKooter View Post
I hope you two have your parent permission slips signed before going to the parade.

Heh, we don't think she'll be able to get the day off (unfortunately). I'll be there with a buddy...the same guy who had his phone smashed actually. You sure you don't want to come along Mr. Smith?
Old 11-02-2010, 12:45 PM   #5977
Butter
Coordinator

Congrats to all the Giants fans. Winning it like 2 years after Barry Bonds retired is like a double bonus to all us neutral parties. Nice job!
Old 11-02-2010, 12:51 PM   #5978
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Heh, we don't think she'll be able to get the day off (unfortunately). I'll be there with a buddy...the same guy who had his phone smashed actually. You sure you don't want to come along Mr. Smith?

I actually wouldn't mind going to be honest, but, this week is a bad week to skip out on work.

However, if you guys happen to be passing through Sausalito on your way home around 6-6:30 tonight, let me know. We can stop at the Outback that's right off the 101 for some drinks.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4

Last edited by JediKooter : 11-02-2010 at 12:51 PM.
Old 11-02-2010, 12:52 PM   #5979
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

How far off of 101 are you? We drive from San Carlos to Santa Rosa every Wednesday night.
Old 11-02-2010, 12:58 PM   #5980
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
How far off of 101 are you? We drive from San Carlos to Santa Rosa every Wednesday night.

From my condo, I can hear the beautiful, beckoning sounds of the natives driving on the 101. I could probably throw a rock and hit cars if I had an arm like Jay Cutler. No wait, I'd probably miss the cars, but, it would still hit the 101.

My place is between the Rodeo exit and the Sausalito exit.

Old 11-02-2010, 01:01 PM   #5981
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

We will definitely be doing some FOFC meet-ups. That's great man! Who would have thought that I drive by your house every single week.

I don't know when, but we'll do it soon...very soon. This week is possible, though unlikely, because I'll probably be completely spent and have no voice left after tomorrow's parade.

Last edited by Sun Tzu : 11-02-2010 at 01:02 PM.
Old 11-02-2010, 01:04 PM   #5982
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

WOO HOO! THank you. My FB birthday request was a WS victory. Can't ask for more.
Old 11-02-2010, 01:11 PM   #5983
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
We will definitely be doing some FOFC meet-ups. That's great man! Who would have thought that I drive by your house every single week.

I don't know when, but we'll do it soon...very soon. This week is possible, though unlikely, because I'll probably be completely spent and have no voice left after tomorrow's parade.

That is too funny. Sounds good to me man! Just let me know when. I am usually off of work at 5:30 and am back in Sausalito by 6ish depending on traffic.

Old 11-02-2010, 01:14 PM   #5984
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Underdogs or Underestimated? | FanGraphs Baseball

Pretty nice article on the Giants from fangraphs.
Old 11-02-2010, 02:18 PM   #5985
kingfc22
Head Coach

Was able to switch some things up at work and I will be at the parade tomorrow with my dad. He was born in '53 in SF and has never had a chance to see the Giants win a title. I'm glad we'll be able to celebrate together tomorrow!

Last edited by kingfc22 : 11-02-2010 at 02:18 PM.
kingfc22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 02:57 PM   #5986
lungs
Pro Rookie

PING: Chief Rum and other Angels fans

Any insight on Ron Roenicke? He was considered the least likely to get the Brewers job but it looks like he is the man.
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 04:13 PM   #5987
thealmighty
Pro Starter

Congratulations to all the Giant fans. Brilliant job.

(I can't be upset with the Rangers looking like a spring training split squad. It was still a gift of a season they gave us longtimers.)
Old 11-02-2010, 07:04 PM   #5988
Bad-example
College Starter

I still can't believe they won. I'm really in a coma in a hospital bed, right?
Bad-example is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 07:20 PM   #5989
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad-example View Post
I still can't believe they won. I'm really in a coma in a hospital bed, right?

Possibly, but, if you wake up and there's zombies everywhere...be careful...

Old 11-02-2010, 11:52 PM   #5990
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lungs View Post
PING: Chief Rum and other Angels fans

Any insight on Ron Roenicke? He was considered the least likely to get the Brewers job but it looks like he is the man.

Roenicke takes after much of the rest of the Scioscia coaches, after the boss. Pretty understated, doesn't say outrageous things. He keeps it mellow in his general attitude (both as a general demeanor in the clubhouse and as the face of the club to the media).

That said, he was never put in a position to be asked contentious questions, like a manager would, nor is he a hitting coach or a pitching coach, where you evaluate his part of the team, so maybe that's why he seems understated.

He has taken over a game or two after Scioscia was ejected, and IIRC, he did pretty well, but you know how far that gets you--a spot-manage doesn't really tell you how a guy is going to run a club.

If I had to guess, I would say he will emulate Scioscia. He'll advocate National League style ball, although he had at least a little power as a hitter, so he'll have experience to fall back on dealing with hitting styles like Fielder's and Braun's. He'll need to bring in a strong pitching coach--I don't know that he knows much about pitching. Since his personality seems similar to Scioscia's, I would guess he will follow the Scioscia handbook with respect to dealing with his players.

I like Reonicke. I have no idea how he'll do as a manager, though (keep in mind, I also had no idea what to make of Maddon and Black when they got their gigs, and they have done fine).

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 06:40 AM   #5991
lungs
Pro Rookie

I understand it's hard to get a read on bench coaches. Obviously I've heard nothing but good things so far (why would the local press trash the guy before he takes the job?). Torii Hunter seems to sing RR's praises. Our TV announcer, Brian Anderson, was the announcer for one of RR's minor league teams he managed and basically equated him to an MLB version of Tony Dungy.

Pitching coach is in place in Rick Peterson and Dale Sveum will remain as hitting coach.

Overall, the Brewers braintrust was more impressed with RR than Bobby Valentine (never really traded numbers with Bobby V even). So I'll go with it. Hopefully he's a little more likable for the players than Ken Macha was.
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 01:45 PM   #5992
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Congratulations Giants fans!!!

LaRussa to the Giants for Bochy!
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 02:07 PM   #5993
Rizon
Pro Starter

Attached Images
File Type: jpg itsachamp.JPG (68.9 KB, 58 views)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
I don't think I'd stop even if I found a dick.
Rizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 04:07 PM   #5994
Ksyrup

So has anyone mentioend "Verducci Effect" for Bumgarner yet? About 140 IP in 2009, 215 in 2010. Will be interesting to see how he fares next year.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 11-03-2010, 04:08 PM   #5995
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

The Giants parade is fucking awesome.
Old 11-03-2010, 05:29 PM   #5996
kingfc22
Head Coach

The parade was freaking awesome!!!

People were climbing on trees, street signs, etc just to catch a glimpse. And amazingly nobody got out of hand or created any trouble. At least not near where I was watching from.
Old 11-03-2010, 07:19 PM   #5997
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfc22 View Post
The parade was freaking awesome!!!

People were climbing on trees, street signs, etc just to catch a glimpse. And amazingly nobody got out of hand or created any trouble. At least not near where I was watching from.

I saw Barry Bonds on one of the side streets crying like a baby.

Old 11-03-2010, 10:28 PM   #5999
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Media Life Magazine - World Series ratings tie for lowest ever
Old 11-04-2010, 06:58 AM   #6000
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
But Rob Schneider? Seriously?

Did he party like a sterotypical gay latino? Maybe he was auditioning for the next Adam Sandler movie.