Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-26-2022, 06:49 AM   #6001
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
I'm beginning to think we have a real Nazi problem in the USA. There's been a lot of this kind of thing recently.

The amount of honest-to-goodness Nazis out there is one of the saddest revelations of the last 5-10 years for me. Not "people who disagree with me, so I'll call them Nazis" folks. But the "Jews will not replace us" crowd.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2022, 07:32 AM   #6002
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
The amount of honest-to-goodness Nazis out there is one of the saddest revelations of the last 5-10 years for me. Not "people who disagree with me, so I'll call them Nazis" folks. But the "Jews will not replace us" crowd.

There's been a number of these the past 10 years where a bunch of us naive folks didn't realize just how much hate was out there. It's staggering how many people think that, say, black people, women, gays, and Jews just aren't human beings. In those minds, they're sub-humans or birthing vessels or brain damaged or mongrels (that somehow still control the world). I just don't get it - where does all that hate come from? I mean, I get that Fox News and that whole ecosystem* is basically pumping out "two minutes hate" on repeat but at least some of that has to be there already, I think - Maybe, maybe not? Maybe it only takes a tiny bit of hate that we all have when you spend 24 hours exposed to just hate over and over. Like some of these people don't have two spare brain cells to rub together so they wouldn't be making some connections about shadowy cabals and replacement theory without it being spoon fed to them but others are genuinely smart people in other walks of life that looked at a number of competing theories for how society functions and somehow landed on "Jewish Space Laser" or "Planned Parenthood is selling dismembered baby parts on the black market" as maybe a little out there but not disqualifying but "Green New Deal" or "affirmative action" or "a right to abortion" as a bridge too far.

*CNN and its ilk are more fear based than hate based - it's similar but there's an important distinction. It's unhealthy in a different way.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 07-26-2022 at 07:38 AM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2022, 09:21 AM   #6003
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

Working in healthcare and in that way having access to people's viewing habits on TV has left me shocked at the percentage of people out there that turn on Fox News in the morning and don't it turn it off until bedtime.
dubb93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2022, 10:02 AM   #6004
thesloppy
Pro Starter

I think there are lots of folks that treat it as a fake companion, and leave it on all day long for the familiar voices.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.

Last edited by thesloppy : 07-26-2022 at 10:03 AM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2022, 10:07 AM   #6005
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
I think there are lots of folks that treat it as a fake companion, and leave it on all day long for the familiar voices.

My parents used to do that with the Weather Channel and/or local news. Now they do it with Fox.

I think that there's a generation for whom having on the TV is comforting. For me, it is distracting if I am not actually watching it. But I think that if you are used to it in the background, it is weird to not have something on.
Old 07-26-2022, 10:13 AM   #6006
cuervo72
Head Coach

Visits to the in-laws were like that. During the day it was either CNBC or Fox Business, then later on it was Fox News, if there wasn't an old movie on that my FIL was interested in.

At home we usually have something on if my wife is home. One time when we didn't -- or we just didn't unmute after a commercial -- younger child's GF commented to them that my wife and I were just sitting there in silence, which seemed a little eerie.

When my wife is at work I have more often than not turned the TV off, as I use that time to read. If I happen to be on the computer though and not reading I might have something on in the background.

So, to sum up: if it's just me, don't necessarily need TV. If it's not just me, TV is good to avoid the impression of awkward silence.

Last edited by cuervo72 : 07-26-2022 at 10:14 AM.
cuervo72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2022, 11:47 AM   #6007
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post

This is my wife's family. My wife sends me screenshots of the Facebook arguments her step-dad gets into and I tell her I can always tell who he's been listening to based on his talking points.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2022, 01:08 PM   #6008
stevew
Hall Of Famer

we usually watch Guy Fieri all day and most of the time I'm not about doom and gloom

but I do have some strong opinions on how Flavortown should be governed.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2022, 01:57 PM   #6009
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubb93 View Post
Working in healthcare and in that way having access to people's viewing habits on TV has left me shocked at the percentage of people out there that turn on Fox News in the morning and don't it turn it off until bedtime.

This is my mother in law
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2022, 02:27 PM   #6010
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I almost never have the TV on unless there is a ballgame or something. I do have on music 90% of the time through Alexa
Old 07-26-2022, 02:56 PM   #6011
thesloppy
Pro Starter

I feel like I understand the motivation, and my short attention span needs constant input too, I am just more active about it, rather than putting something on and leaving it on for 12 hours at a time.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2022, 06:54 PM   #6012
Edward64
Head Coach

I am okay that Pelosi has proposed going to Taiwan but am given some pause because Biden is negative towards it. Military confrontation is very unlikely, but can see it messing up any Chinese cooperation on Ukraine (probably no hope anyway) or cooperation on tariff relief (heard that was an option Biden was considering).

Wonder if it's better served visiting other APAC friendly countries (or the Quad countries) vs specifically Taiwan? Lower key visit and another step in building wider alliances vs just specifically antagonizing China. I'm not sure what Pelosi has to gain here especially since Biden is not supportive?

Biden administration working behind the scenes to convince Pelosi of the risks of traveling to Taiwan | CNN Politics
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2022, 07:42 PM   #6013
RainMaker
General Manager

She belongs in jail.

Nancy Pelosi's husband buys millions in Nvidia stock before semiconductor vote - MarketWatch
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2022, 09:18 PM   #6014
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

She's not visiting Taiwan without WH approval. Anything negative coming from the WH is all for show.
Old 07-27-2022, 07:01 AM   #6015
Flasch186
Coordinator

meh, white collar stuff isn't criminal any more. We live in 'Merica where you don't get in trouble unless, well, you know...

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2022, 07:12 AM   #6016
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Congressfolk and their immediate family should be forbidden from owning individual stocks period.

Index funds and/or blind trusts only.

Do the thing where, when elected, they can transfer their assets out of individual securities and into index funds/blind trusts without realizing the gains.
Old 07-27-2022, 07:44 AM   #6017
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
Congressfolk and their immediate family should be forbidden from owning individual stocks period.

Index funds and/or blind trusts only.

Do the thing where, when elected, they can transfer their assets out of individual securities and into index funds/blind trusts without realizing the gains.

Old 07-27-2022, 10:36 AM   #6018
Thomkal
Head Coach

There has been some clammoring on Twitter about this this year, Whitehouse especially from Rhode Island. Would love to see this done to remove one temptation of corruption from Congress. And while they are at it term limits and age limits too
Old 07-27-2022, 10:38 AM   #6019
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

This all sounds good to me

SI

Old 07-27-2022, 03:13 PM   #6020
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Senate passes massive package to boost U.S. computer chip production

I still don't know if I support this. What's to keep companies from taking the money and just building new factories in Asia?

But hey, we're already 30 trillion in the hole, what's another 80 billion?

Last edited by NobodyHere : 07-27-2022 at 03:14 PM.
NobodyHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2022, 03:27 PM   #6021
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
Senate passes massive package to boost U.S. computer chip production

I still don't know if I support this. What's to keep companies from taking the money and just building new factories in Asia?

But hey, we're already 30 trillion in the hole, what's another 80 billion?

Just more corporate welfare. Imagine if someone proposed giving away $80 billion to help with student loans or medical needs? Fat chance.

If you want to know how desperate these companies are for capital, NVIDIA is dumping $15 billion into stock buybacks.
Old 07-27-2022, 03:40 PM   #6022
BYU 14
Coordinator

The key to that chip package, is holding American companies to the base tenants of it, which is increasing security and viability.

Of course, the downside is these companies will undoubtedly exploit the money as much as they can to make more money in typical corporate greed fashion, but the ability to use this to limit how much China and other foreign actors can manipulate our technology is still vital. Make no mistake, the most danger to America from foreign actors right now, is on the cyber battlefield.

This is an opportunity to mitigate some of that, and the government better take full advantage, though I have little to no trust in our government not finding a way to screw it up completely and have it just turn into another pocket liner for the 1%.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2022, 04:40 PM   #6023
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Prime Minister Manchin has finally agreed to a reconciliation bill. Medicare drug negotiation and ACA extension included. Those two were the big two for me.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
GrantDawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2022, 05:12 PM   #6024
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Some in my twitter feed are trying to claim that this was the plan all along, to put off a deal with climate factors/Medicare/ACA this long so the Republicans would pass CHIPS+ (rather then passing this and then the Republicans not wanting to give Biden another win)

I find that.. highly unlikely
Old 07-27-2022, 05:57 PM   #6025
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
Prime Minister Manchin

Old 07-27-2022, 06:12 PM   #6026
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post

Yeah. Manchin isn't playing 4D chess with Biden. He "walked away" to get some attention for another news cycle. And I'm sure he squeezed another sweetener or two out of the deal.

My guess is that the WH negotiators at this point are having to restrain themselves from punching him in the face. I don't see them working chummy backroom deals with him.
Old 07-27-2022, 06:17 PM   #6027
GrantDawg

Now we wait to see if Vice Chancellor Sinema will sign off.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
Old 07-27-2022, 06:22 PM   #6028
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
Some in my twitter feed are trying to claim that this was the plan all along, to put off a deal with climate factors/Medicare/ACA this long so the Republicans would pass CHIPS+ (rather then passing this and then the Republicans not wanting to give Biden another win)

Was it the plan along? Certainly not. Is it possible that Manchin and Democrats came to a deal a couple of weeks ago and waited till the CHIPS deal passed before announcing it? Almost certainly. It is absolutely not coincidence this was announced today. It was a big middle finger to Turtle-man.
Old 07-27-2022, 08:27 PM   #6029
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Was it the plan along? Certainly not. Is it possible that Manchin and Democrats came to a deal a couple of weeks ago and waited till the CHIPS deal passed before announcing it? Almost certainly. It is absolutely not coincidence this was announced today. It was a big middle finger to Turtle-man.

Also, McConnell may have pissed off Manchin by threatening to torpedo CHIPS in the first place.
Old 07-27-2022, 08:32 PM   #6030
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Serving McConnell an extra large bag of dicks is quite delightful.
Old 07-27-2022, 09:07 PM   #6031
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Serving McConnell an extra large bag of dicks is quite delightful.

To you or McConnell?
Old 07-27-2022, 09:12 PM   #6032
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Hershel Walker went on FOX today and the sound bites are, something else...
Old 07-27-2022, 10:25 PM   #6033
Edward64
Head Coach

Congrats to Biden and Dems in getting 1 win and another likely 2nd win all in a week.

Now if we can only see concrete results from the Infrastructure bill. Mayor Pete needs to get a better press secretary.
Old 07-27-2022, 11:39 PM   #6034
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post

It literally sounded like a post game interview, talking about the "fans" Dude is a complete fucking idiot who thankfully, for his sake, could carry a football or his lot in life would not be stellar right now.
Old 07-28-2022, 01:11 AM   #6035
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:

Recent poll has him down 9. Starting to think the Dems might hold on to the Senate after all.

Oz looks like a complete mess in Pennsylvania too. Blake Masters just told a group of Seniors we need to abolish Social Security.

Haven't heard anything about Wisconsin of late, but Johnson has to be vulnerable. It's a state that should lean D but has a heavy R government due to it being the most gerrymandered in the country.
Old 07-28-2022, 06:58 AM   #6036
Edward64
Head Coach

Reading through some snippets of the agreement ...

https://www.cnn.com/2022/07/27/polit...ter/index.html

I like this but need a need a normal looking Camry/Accord EV, with 300+ mile range, priced around $25-$35K please

Quote:
Tax credits for electric vehicles made it into the new deal, according to two Senate Democratic aides. Electric Vehicle tax credits will continue at their current levels, up to $4,000 for a used electric vehicle and $7,500 for a new EV. However, there will be a lower income threshold for people who can use the tax credits -- a key demand of Manchin's. Manchin had been staunchly opposed to electric vehicle tax credits throughout negotiations
Definitely like this. Anything to keep healthcare costs down.

Quote:
The deal keeps the prescription drug prices changes that Manchin had previously agreed to, including empowering Medicare to negotiate the price of certain costly medications administered in doctors' offices or purchased at the pharmacy. The Health and Human Services secretary would negotiate the prices of 10 drugs in 2026, and another 15 drugs in 2027 and again in 2028. The number would rise to 20 drugs a year for 2029 and beyond.

It would also redesign Medicare's Part D drug plans so that seniors and people with disabilities wouldn't pay more than $2,000 a year for medication bought at the pharmacy. And, the deal would require drug companies to pay rebates if they increase their prices in the Medicare and private-insurance markets faster than inflation
Bolded section seems inaccurate (?), this has already existed for the past couple years at least. But good this bill will extend that particular item for 3 more years. Important for my pre-Medicare eligible retirement plans

Quote:
The agreement also calls for extending the enhanced Affordable Care Act subsidies for three years
:
Enrollees pay no more than 8.5% of their income toward coverage, down from nearly 10%. And lower-income policyholders receive subsidies that eliminate their premiums completely. Also, those earning more than 400% of the federal poverty level have become eligible for help for the first time
Reducing deficit is great if true. I'll wait for the CBO projections.

Quote:
In total, Democrats say the deal would reduce the deficit by more than $300 billion

Last edited by Edward64 : 07-28-2022 at 06:59 AM.
Old 07-28-2022, 08:33 AM   #6037
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Andrew Yang is announcing his new party today and reports are that it currently has no policy preferences.

Yang should get an achievement badge for number of different ways to collect an insignificant amount of votes.
Old 07-28-2022, 08:45 AM   #6038
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Andrew Yang is announcing his new party today and reports are that it currently has no policy preferences.

Yang should get an achievement badge for number of different ways to collect an insignificant amount of votes.

Third parties cannot survive for long in our system. But the ones who do manage to make a splash either have a charismatic leader (TR) or focus on a policy platform that is being neglected by the two main parties (slavery).

So putting up a 3rd party with no policy platform led by Andrew Yang and Christine Whitman is certainly something.

Last edited by albionmoonlight : 07-28-2022 at 08:45 AM.
Old 07-28-2022, 08:46 AM   #6039
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Didn't he create the "Forward" party just last year?
Old 07-28-2022, 08:57 AM   #6040
Edward64
Head Coach

I'm assuming Yang will lead with Universal Basic Income.
Old 07-28-2022, 02:37 PM   #6041
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Recent poll has him down 9. Starting to think the Dems might hold on to the Senate after all.

Oz looks like a complete mess in Pennsylvania too. Blake Masters just told a group of Seniors we need to abolish Social Security.

Haven't heard anything about Wisconsin of late, but Johnson has to be vulnerable. It's a state that should lean D but has a heavy R government due to it being the most gerrymandered in the country.

Vance is screwing up Ohio as well. Dems may come away with more than 50 at this rate.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 02:59 PM   #6042
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
Vance is screwing up Ohio as well. Dems may come away with more than 50 at this rate.

Vances comments the other day were beyond horrific. How any woman could vote for him is a mystery.
Old 07-28-2022, 03:05 PM   #6043
GrantDawg

Quote:
Vances comments the other day were beyond horrific. How any woman could vote for him is a mystery.
There are many women, especially white women, who are a-ok with not having rights.
Old 07-28-2022, 03:13 PM   #6044
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
There are many women, especially white women, who are a-ok with not having rights.

So long as their "not having rights" means there are people that have fewer and their husband their hitched to has a lot compared to others.

SI

Old 07-28-2022, 03:33 PM   #6045
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:

I think they view it as it's OK for other women to not have rights, but this stuff won't apply to them.

There was a fascinating article written years ago by a doctor (or nurse, not sure) for a women's health center. She talked about how many pro-life people would come in for abortions. The one thing they all had in common is they believed their situation was unique and should be treated differently from the others who were getting abortions.

So I think that's kind of what it comes down to. And I think that's a staple of right-wing politics in general. I remember reading lungs talk about how farmers didn't view subsidies they received as welfare, but definitely viewed others receiving benefits as being welfare.
Old 07-28-2022, 03:42 PM   #6046
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
I think they view it as it's OK for other women to not have rights, but this stuff won't apply to them.

I saw someone right after Dobbs noting that there won't be one Senator's mistress or SEC quarterback's girlfriend that will have any trouble getting an abortion.
Old 07-28-2022, 04:02 PM   #6047
RainMaker
General Manager

Can't find the piece anywhere but did find this. Kind of covers the same topic. Didn't know there was a term for it, the "Me Exception".

The Women Who Leave Anti-Abortion Picket Lines to Get Abortions
Old 07-28-2022, 04:03 PM   #6048
RainMaker
General Manager

Reminds me of this too. Shit gets real when it happens to you.

Anti-Abortion Rep. Tim Murphy Will Resign After Report On Abortion Request : The Two-Way : NPR
Old 07-28-2022, 04:27 PM   #6049
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
Can't find the piece anywhere but did find this. Kind of covers the same topic. Didn't know there was a term for it, the "Me Exception".

The Women Who Leave Anti-Abortion Picket Lines to Get Abortions

It's like a corollary to NIMBY behavior.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 04:27 PM   #6050
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Didn't know there was a term for it, the "Me Exception".

Related to the "Shirley Exception."

https://twitter.com/AlexandraErin/st...00861865488384