Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-05-2010, 06:50 PM   #6001
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Stay classy, Philly fans!
Old 11-05-2010, 07:02 PM   #6002
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

...and enjoy your long off-season...filled with "maybe next year" and "what went wrong?"
Old 11-05-2010, 07:29 PM   #6003
Bad-example
College Starter

I'm planning on buying a WS hat. I'm leaning towards the orange Twins '47 hat in the sixth row. I'll be wearing it, not putting it in a box or on a shelf. Preferences, advice?

Football Fanatics: NCAA & NFL Shop, College, University,Sports Apparel, Sports Gifts, Fan Gear, Store
Bad-example is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 07:32 PM   #6004
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Not bad. Out of those I personally prefer the all-white one on the row above it. Far right.
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 08:29 PM   #6005
Comey
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Tzu View Post
...and enjoy your long off-season...filled with "maybe next year" and "what went wrong?"

You know, both of the franchises we cheer for have asked those questions for a long, long time. One championship doesn't make you a fan of a powerhouse, like it didn't for the Phils in '08.

Instead of being a sore winner, enjoy it, because it sure as hell doesn't last forever. I sure as hell enjoyed it. And I didn't go hating on Dodger fans for no reason, especially bringing something up that was commented on during the NLCS. But, then again, posts like the ones I'm addressing are the reason why I find it pointless to discuss sports anymore.

Have a good night.

Comey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 09:20 AM   #6006
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comey View Post
You know, both of the franchises we cheer for have asked those questions for a long, long time. One championship doesn't make you a fan of a powerhouse, like it didn't for the Phils in '08.

Instead of being a sore winner, enjoy it, because it sure as hell doesn't last forever. I sure as hell enjoyed it. And I didn't go hating on Dodger fans for no reason, especially bringing something up that was commented on during the NLCS. But, then again, posts like the ones I'm addressing are the reason why I find it pointless to discuss sports anymore.

Have a good night.

I would say it's unbelievable that a Phillies fan would tell a fan of another team not to gloat and pound their chest after their first World Series win in franchise history...but the fact of the matter is, it's very believable

Last edited by Sun Tzu : 11-06-2010 at 09:23 AM.
Sun Tzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 09:33 AM   #6007
Comey
College Starter

Quote:

I would say it's unbelievable that a Phillies fan would tell a fan of another team not to gloat and pound their chest after their first World Series win in franchise history...but the fact of the matter is, it's very believable

I'm glad you continued to generalize and stereotype.

This is why I stopped talking sports. Being cast in a light because of a few that *every* fanbase has has gotten *really* old.

And you know what? When the Phils won in 2008, all I was was thankful that I got to witness something like this. All there was was heartache. Do you know what it's like to cheer on a city like Philadelphia, even without the stereotypes that continually get thrown on you? Before the championship in 2008, the city went 25 years without a title. That was the longest drought for a city with four sports. The Eagles have been synonymous with choking and coming up short. The Phillies are the biggest losing franchise in sports history; they only have two titles in 127 years of professional baseball. Their first one came 97 years into their existence. They have 10,000 losses. This is the greatest run the franchise has *ever* had. The Sixers are a joke, and the Flyers, while okay, haven't won anything since 1975.

All in all, I'm thankful to be able to see my team win. I didn't go around and gloat and throw around stereotypes that, guess what, don't apply to everyone.

I imagine, based on the response I quoted, that this is pointless. But I'm completely sick and tired of people think that fans of a team are one certain way. Honestly, get over it. Enjoy your team's win. Don't take the opportunity to go bashing fans of a team that you beat. That's the definition of a sore winner, which you are proving to be.

Last edited by Comey : 11-06-2010 at 09:39 AM.
Old 11-06-2010, 09:35 AM   #6008
MrBug708
Head Coach

To be fair Comey, Lincecum probably threw a battery at those fans after that picture was snapped.
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 10:31 AM   #6009
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

I think I remember Barry Bonds whipping syringes into the stands too.

My only follow up to your post is this...

Boo-fucking-whoo.

Last edited by Sun Tzu : 11-06-2010 at 10:32 AM.
Old 11-06-2010, 11:53 AM   #6010
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I think I remember Barry Bonds whipping syringes into the stands too.

My only follow up to your post is this...

Boo-fucking-whoo.

This is the kind of attitude I was talking about when, at the start of the playoffs, I put the Giants dead last in rooting interest.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 02:37 PM   #6011
Mr. Sparkle
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
So has anyone mentioend "Verducci Effect" for Bumgarner yet? About 140 IP in 2009, 215 in 2010. Will be interesting to see how he fares next year.

The interesting thing about Bumgarner is he seemed to get stronger as the Giants advanced in the playoffs. Game 4 against Texas was probably the best stuff he had all season. Dude is a big, broad-shouldered fella, so hopefully he'll be able to withstand the jump in innings.
Old 11-07-2010, 08:19 AM   #6012
RedKingGold
College Starter

Let's bump the "2008 MLB Season Thread" after the Phillies won the championship and see how many Philly fans were bashing opposing fan bases.

Stay classy Sun Tzu.

Last edited by RedKingGold : 11-07-2010 at 08:20 AM.
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 08:26 AM   #6013
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Yeah...boy...I'm really laying into Phillies fans aren't I. I just won't stop...it's almost gotten to the point where this page in the thread needs to be heavily modded.

You can't be serious.
Old 11-07-2010, 11:57 AM   #6014
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Stay classy, Philly fans!

Okay I like you...but at the same time when I brought up the fact that two kids holding a picture that said Phuck the Phillies you thought it was okay for two kids to be holding a sign that with some nifty grammar uses the F word. However, if this was a Phillies fan doing this you would be all in an uproar. Look at the flack that kid got that grabbed the beer and was photographed during a Phillies game earlier this year.

I said this before, congrats on your win...but quit being a hypocrite.

Last edited by Dr. Sak : 11-07-2010 at 11:59 AM.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 12:11 PM   #6015
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

You guys are missing the point here.

A sign that says pigeon toed? Really?
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 12:22 PM   #6016
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Like I said before Brian, it's one thing to hold up signs that say phuck the phillies, it's another thing to hold up a sign reminding a guy that his wife cheated on him. You can't compare the two. One is a direct personal attack, the other (while of course it isn't acceptable) isn't in the same league.

That's like one guy #1 telling guy #2 he's a bitch, and then guy #2 punching guy #1's mother in the face, and then saying it's "basically the same thing."

Last edited by Sun Tzu : 11-07-2010 at 12:29 PM.
Old 11-07-2010, 12:31 PM   #6017
molson
General Manager

I think we should give the world series trophy every year to whatever team's fanbase is "classiest". I'd say that's either Toronto, or Tampa Bay. Maybe Pittsburgh.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 12:31 PM   #6018
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Jesus, San Francisco fans are fucking unbearable.
Old 11-07-2010, 12:32 PM   #6019
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs2 View Post

Agreed. I think that pic was taken just before one of the kid's purposefully vomited on a Phillies fan passing by.
Old 11-07-2010, 12:34 PM   #6020
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Agreed. I think that pic was taken just before one of the kid's purposefully vomited on a Phillies fan passing by.

Why does bad fan behavior bother you so much? Do you sit in the family-friendly, no swearing section at games to protect your delicate sensibilities? Just curious.

Your team wins the world series but you're more concerned with proper fan behavior.

Last edited by molson : 11-07-2010 at 12:35 PM.
Old 11-07-2010, 12:39 PM   #6021
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post

Classy fanbases aren't known for drawing ratings.
Old 11-07-2010, 12:42 PM   #6022
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
Why does bad fan behavior bother you so much? Do you sit in the family-friendly, no swearing section at games to protect your delicate sensibilities? Just curious.

If I said yes, would you feel happy? What if I said no?

I made two posts about fan behavior (far less than may others in this thread), over sevearl days, and was attacked from every angle as being a sore winner. So, I'm officially apologizing for pointing out that many phillies fans act despicably, and don't deserve a title. I'm obviously in the wrong here.

If you seriously, seriously think I have such a small grip on reality that I'm more concerned with the behavior of the fans of a team 3,000 miles away than winning a world title, then you can blow it out your ass. Maybe you should read the other posts in this thread from me...rather than making broad assumptions about me specifically, as a person and a fan, based on a few posts that you try oh so hard to take out of context. Thanks.
Old 11-07-2010, 12:43 PM   #6023
molson
General Manager

I think along with W/L/Pct/GB there should be a column in the standings for classiness.
Old 11-07-2010, 12:44 PM   #6024
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Your team wins the world series but you're more concerned with proper fan behavior.

And meanwhile he acts like a douche. The irony.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 11-07-2010, 12:45 PM   #6025
molson
General Manager

Quote:
If I said yes, would you feel happy? What if I said no?

I made two posts about fan behavior (far less than may others in this thread), over sevearl days, and was attacked from every angle as being a sore winner. So, I'm officially apologizing for pointing out that many phillies fans act despicably, and don't deserve a title. I'm obviously in the wrong here.

If you seriously, seriously think I have such a small grip on reality that I'm more concerned with the behavior of the fans of a team 3,000 miles away than winning a world title, then you can blow it out your ass. Maybe you should read the other posts in this thread from me...rather than making broad assumptions about me specifically, as a person and a fan, based on a few posts that you try oh so hard to take out of context. Thanks.

A good chunk of this entire thread has been dedicated to the subject of Philly fan classiness (the most important baseball story of 2010, obviously), and I seam to recall this being one of your favorite subjects as well. If this is really the only two posts you've made on this, I'm mistaken and apologize.

Last edited by molson : 11-07-2010 at 12:46 PM.
Old 11-07-2010, 12:47 PM   #6026
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I think we should give the world series trophy every year to whatever team's fanbase is "classiest". I'd say that's either Toronto, or Tampa Bay. Maybe Pittsburgh.

Pittsburgh has fans?
Old 11-07-2010, 12:49 PM   #6027
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Quote:
If this is really the only two posts you've made on this, I'm mistaken and apologize.

No worries...I would be surprised if I posted more than once back when this thread was going ballistic about fan behavior. I'm not usually one to point it out, but when fans get this personal (especially the Wife thing @ Pat Burrell) then it strikes a nerve with me.
Old 11-07-2010, 12:58 PM   #6028
AENeuman
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
You can't compare the two... isn't in the same league.

Well, technically...
AENeuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 01:39 PM   #6029
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Like I said before Brian, it's one thing to hold up signs that say phuck the phillies, it's another thing to hold up a sign reminding a guy that his wife cheated on him. You can't compare the two. One is a direct personal attack, the other (while of course it isn't acceptable) isn't in the same league.

That's like one guy #1 telling guy #2 he's a bitch, and then guy #2 punching guy #1's mother in the face, and then saying it's "basically the same thing."

I love Pat Burrell the ball player...but Pat Burrell the person was a womanizer and treated women like crap. If you don't believe me, I am sure some of my other Philly brethren could fill you in or if you'd like I can ask my one lady friend who has had run ins with Pat. So maybe...just maybe he isn't the saint you think he is. And I'm not saying that his wife cheating on him doesn't suck, but with his past, are we sure he was squeaky clean?

See while you think the personal attack is worse, I think the kids with that sign is worse but you keep imposing that your way is the correct way and I (among others) do not agree with you.

Your team won the World Series, so why the heck do you keep coming back to bash Philly fans? Do you think Pat Burrell cares...he got the last laugh?
Old 11-07-2010, 01:39 PM   #6030
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Pittsburgh has fans?

They only show up when the team starts winning and then they tell you they were fans all along
Old 11-07-2010, 01:42 PM   #6031
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sak View Post
They only show up when the team starts winning and then they tell you they were fans all along

No wonder I lost track of them.

Seriously, it's a shame that great ballpark is wasted on the current management of the Pirates.
Old 11-07-2010, 01:44 PM   #6032
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

I don't think you guys deserve a title because your fans were all lighting up joints in the stands and poor Josh Hamilton (a recovering addict) had to deal with the odor. Last time I checked pot was illegal.

See how silly that sounds?

Last edited by Dr. Sak : 11-07-2010 at 01:45 PM.
Old 11-07-2010, 02:24 PM   #6033
Bad-example
College Starter

Quote:

Bad-example is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 02:41 PM   #6035
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

I believe you misunderstood what was said. What was said is... no need to act like an a**hole... but it that makes you feel better about yourself...
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 06:03 PM   #6036
Comey
College Starter

Quote:
No worries...I would be surprised if I posted more than once back when this thread was going ballistic about fan behavior. I'm not usually one to point it out, but when fans get this personal (especially the Wife thing @ Pat Burrell) then it strikes a nerve with me.

My problem wasn't with you bashing Phillies fans. It was doing it *way* after the NLCS ended. Why bring it back up now? Your team won the World Series. The Phillies and Giants haven't played each other in 2-3 weeks. Why bother bringing up something that's ridiculously old?

I do take issue with you saying that the Phillies don't deserve their title, though. It's so frustrating that stuff happens IN EVERY CITY, WITH EVERY SINGLE FAN BASE, and yet, it's ONLY Philadelphia that doesn't deserve a title? Give me a fucking break on that one. Hell, Yankees fans threw beer at Cliff Lee's wife. Should they have a title revoked?

It really comes off as immature and childish, hence the sore winner stuff. I really don't understand how you can't see that from A) the timing of your posts, and B) your subsequent responses to my post where I was quite civil. Boo-fucking-hoo (it's "hoo" by the way, not "whoo")? Really? You came off as having an agenda and wanting to stick it to Philly fans because the Giants won a championship that you, as a fan, got to enjoy. Again, if you can't see where I'm coming from on that, well...I apologize.

Old 11-07-2010, 06:15 PM   #6037
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
And meanwhile he acts like a douche. The irony.

Have you ever read any of your posts on USC?
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 06:27 PM   #6038
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sak View Post
See while you think the personal attack is worse, I think the kids with that sign is worse but you keep imposing that your way is the correct way and I (among others) do not agree with you.

I'm with you on that one. The whole Ph-thing is stupid as it is, but doing it with children is abominable. Totally classless.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 06:57 PM   #6039
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapshoot View Post
Have you ever read any of your posts on USC?

Have you ever read any posts by USC fans on UCLA? Or your own posts in support of Stanford? Or anyone who doesn't follow the sabermetric Bible like you do?

We all have our douche moments, and we're all wrong when we're being douches, me, you, Sun Tzu, everyone. One person's douchebaggery doesn't excuse that of others, nor doesn't remove anyone's right to call out others (so long as they acknowledge it themselves when they're the same way).

Old 11-07-2010, 06:58 PM   #6040
kingfc22
Head Coach

Ehhhh. Is this topic EVER going to end. Yeesh. You guys sound like a bunch of teenagers.
Old 11-07-2010, 07:02 PM   #6041
Comey
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfc22 View Post
Ehhhh. Is this topic EVER going to end. Yeesh. You guys sound like a bunch of teenagers.

I thought it was long over, too.

Old 11-07-2010, 07:23 PM   #6042
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Wait...am I being accused of saying it's perfectly fine for kids to hold up raunchy signs now? If so...yeesh. Maybe I should just put blank posts, since half the people don't even read what I say anyway. They'd rather just read a reaction based on a misunderstanding, then throw out accusations.

Now, if that's not the case...then nevermind

Last edited by Sun Tzu : 11-07-2010 at 07:24 PM.
Old 11-07-2010, 07:52 PM   #6043
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Wait...am I being accused of saying it's perfectly fine for kids to hold up raunchy signs now? If so...yeesh. Maybe I should just put blank posts, since half the people don't even read what I say anyway. They'd rather just read a reaction based on a misunderstanding, then throw out accusations.

Now, if that's not the case...then nevermind

Never said that...I was trying to point out the fact that you overlook behavior like that when it is your team but are quick to jump on the same with the other team.
Old 11-07-2010, 07:57 PM   #6044
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Eh...I don't think I was overlooking it. I just said that one was worse than the other for X reason, while still maintaining that both were bad.
Old 11-07-2010, 08:43 PM   #6045
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfc22 View Post

Teenagers, or maybe Englishman.

I can imagine maybe an English cricket thread dominated by discussions of which fanbases are classiest. But even for that, I'd have to imagine it being the 1800s.

Last edited by molson : 11-07-2010 at 08:45 PM.
Old 11-08-2010, 09:13 AM   #6046
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

In other news, the Yankees are making an offer to Cliff Lee.
RomaGoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 01:21 PM   #6047
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaGoth View Post
In other news, the Yankees are making an offer to Cliff Lee.

Hey, we have a Hot Stove thread for a reason, people!

Old 11-08-2010, 02:22 PM   #6048
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Hey, we have a Hot Stove thread for a reason, people!

Old 11-08-2010, 09:10 PM   #6049
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Frankly, I didn't even know that was what it was until I poked my head in there today. Usually we have something for those of us oblivious to subtlety like "MLB Offseason Thread"

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 12:14 AM   #6050
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

This is like an early Christmas present...
Quote:
Updated: November 8, 2010, 8:24 PM ET
Jon Miller, Joe Morgan not returning

ESPN.com news services

Jon Miller and Joe Morgan's 21-year run on ESPN's "Sunday Night Baseball" is over.
Morgan's contract is expiring and he will not be renewed. Miller's contract is also expiring though he may remain at ESPN working the "Sunday Night Baseball" series and postseason baseball for ESPN Radio.
"Jon and Joe have contributed greatly to the success of 'Sunday Night Baseball' for the past 21 seasons," ESPN executive vice president Norby Williamson said in a statement Monday. "Over the last two decades, Joe went from Hall of Fame player to one of his sport's top analysts and Jon's Hall of Fame voice and tremendous knowledge of the game have connected with baseball fans everywhere. We owe them our deepest thanks for an outstanding body of work."
Miller, the play-by-play voice, received the Baseball Hall of Fame's 2010 Ford C. Frick Award. Morgan, the color commentator, was a two-time National League MVP with the Cincinnati Reds. The second baseman was elected to the Hall of Fame in 1990.
Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.