Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-09-2016, 07:01 AM   #6101
revrew
Team Chaplain

The Revenant - 3/10

Yes, DiCaprio is solid, the nature shots are pretty, and the gruesome violence and nonstop bloodshed produces a visceral reaction. But that's not my cup of tea when it comes to entertainment. I spent most of the movie watching the door, wondering when I could leave.

I go to the movies to get swept up in stories, and this one doesn't do it. It even gets repetitive after a while - shot of trees, DiCaprio sleeping, something gory, shot of trees, DiCaprio sleeping, something gory, rinse, repeat.

I love Tom Hardy as an actor, but he mumbles his lines through the film worse than Bane, worse than a drunk Nick Nolte. Less than 10% of the screen time is understandable dialogue.

I'm not saying it isn't well made; I just didn't enjoy it.
I came to the Crossroad. I took it. And that has made all the difference.
revrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 08:36 AM   #6102
Suicane75
Coordinator

I'm with you. It's so fucking long.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 09:25 AM   #6103
Johnny93g
College Starter

The Revenant- 9/10

Loved just about every second of it. What a great film. It's my #1 movie of the year so far. DiCaprio was captivating. There were several scenes that stick out to me which i can't wait to rewatch.

Tom Hardy, who doesn't really get mentioned alot with this film, was great. His stories, his character, gave me the creeps.

It was a very satisfying watch, well done for everyone involved. I'm probably a week or 2 from doing my top 10!
BBCF: Notre Dame
TML
Johnny93g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 10:37 AM   #6104
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by revrew View Post
I love Tom Hardy as an actor, but he mumbles his lines through the film worse than Bane, worse than a drunk Nick Nolte.

All of which are still better than an incomprehensible McConaughey ala Interstellar.

I got Lord of the Rings Extended Edition for Christmas and watched all 12 hours over my break. I am amazed at how much better the Two Towers Extended Edition was compared to the Theatrical Edition, so much so that it may be the best of the trilogy.

Inside Out - 7/10 Everyone in my family loved this, so I went in with high expectations. But something bothered me throughout this whole movie that affected my score. Do any of us remember Cranium Command at Epcot? There you had definable emotions that governed their boy.

With Inside Out, you had not-so-definable emotions, like Joy not being joy (and actually being anger, sad, disgust, etc.). Joy was supposed to be joy and not anything else. The point of the story was to figure out how to interact and achieve balance with the other emotions (that part was brilliant). In other words, the emotions interaction change to present Riley with growth and experience but the emotions still supposed to be one-dimensional.

Additionally, look at the emotions for dad and mom. How come they go the opposite extreme and all act the same? It goes from each emotion in Riley being multiple-emotions to all emotions in the parents all being the same emotion. My wife and son both claim that I am over-thinking this.

Last edited by Buccaneer : 01-09-2016 at 10:38 AM.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 10:43 AM   #6105
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

I think that could be construed as a subtle point in the movie's favor toward realism. Children and their emotions are mercurial as all hell; joy/anger/sadness...they all change on a dime and flow from one to the other almost inexplicably. Whereas the parents have had time to iron things out and understand their emotions enough to appreciate each as they happen.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 10:56 AM   #6106
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II View Post
I think that could be construed as a subtle point in the movie's favor toward realism. Children and their emotions are mercurial as all hell; joy/anger/sadness...they all change on a dime and flow from one to the other almost inexplicably. Whereas the parents have had time to iron things out and understand their emotions enough to appreciate each as they happen.

I appreciate the response but can it be argued that it is the child that changes on a dime and go from one emotion to another - not the emotions themselves? That's what they presented with the console - the child changing depending on who is running the commands and in early years, I can imagine it gets switched rapidly from one to another.
Old 01-09-2016, 11:03 AM   #6107
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
I appreciate the response but can it be argued that it is the child that changes on a dime and go from one emotion to another - not the emotions themselves? That's what they presented with the console - the child changing depending on who is running the commands and in early years, I can imagine it gets switched rapidly from one to another.

Fair point.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 12:53 PM   #6108
chinaski
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny93g View Post
The Revenant- 9/10

Loved just about every second of it. What a great film. It's my #1 movie of the year so far. DiCaprio was captivating. There were several scenes that stick out to me which i can't wait to rewatch.

Tom Hardy, who doesn't really get mentioned alot with this film, was great. His stories, his character, gave me the creeps.

It was a very satisfying watch, well done for everyone involved. I'm probably a week or 2 from doing my top 10!

Im with you on this one. Easily the best movie ive seen in a bit.
chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 06:37 PM   #6109
ntndeacon
Pro Starter

Carol. 9/10
I saw this today and really enjoyed it. Both Rooney Mara and Cate Blanchett were entrancing. I thought the movie was very much in the vein of the other Todd Haynes movies I've seen. I especially liked the use of focus and the camera work as a whole.
Old 01-10-2016, 04:09 PM   #6110
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Hateful Eight- I'd give it an 8/10. I think perhaps he went a bit overboard on the N Word.

Sicario-9/10 Strong performances from Blunt and Del Toro. It was a lot like the TV show, "The Bridge"
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 09:45 PM   #6111
heybrad
Norm!!!

The Hollywood Foreign Press just awarded the Golden Globe for Best Comedy movie to The Martian. What the H?
heybrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 11:41 PM   #6112
PilotMan
Head Coach

Finally saw Ex Machina, holy hell, that was a great movie. I'd give it a solid 9/10.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 03:01 PM   #6113
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Wife and I saw Hateful Eight last night...mind is still processing.

So I figure the first part of this is non-spoiler. I walked out not liking this movie, there was just a lot embedded in this movie.

It was also a long one with very little in action, not that I mind that, but this was Tarantino at his most static.

Dwelling on it over the night, I thought about it differently, and while I now think I could enjoy it, I don't think it's one I'll revisit much. This though is his horror-mystery movie.

I do think it was well acted, but for me, it's thinking about it, and not coming to resolution on just what I was seeing. Perhaps that is QT's point with this movie.

Still Pulp Fiction>Reservoir Dogs> Kill Bill (Vol1&2) > Jackie Brown > Inglorious Basterds > Hateful Eight > D'Jango Unchained >>>>Deathproof

Btw, I don't think the Eight in Hateful Eight is the characters, I think it's that it's the eighth movie.

Now..
Spoiler
"General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him." Watership Down, Richard Adams
Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 05:41 PM   #6114
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
Finally saw Ex Machina, holy hell, that was a great movie. I'd give it a solid 9/10.

In my top 5 list of 2015 movies that so far have come out on br/dvd. I think I have Mad Max as #1 for now but I'm anticipating some of the December movies.
Old 01-25-2016, 10:51 AM   #6115
ntndeacon
Pro Starter

Brooklyn 8.5/10

I enjoyed it quite a bit. Sioronese (sp) Ronan was wonderful in her role as an irish immigrant. It had a wonderful feel to it.
Old 01-25-2016, 03:16 PM   #6116
Johnny93g
College Starter

Ok, I'm now ready for my top 10 films list of 2015!! There are still a few movies i want to see, and even though i expect to enjoy them, i doubt they break in. So....

1. The Revenant
What a great movie. From start to finish, it's a tense, dramatic story of survival and revenge. DiCaprio is phenomenal, and i believe he will win his first oscar. Tom Hardy was also fantastic, and got a well deserved oscar nomination. There are a number of scenes that stand out, and i'm very much looking forward to seeing this again.

2. Room
A heart wrenching story of a mother and son, that I believe is just a notch below the Revenant. This is some great story telling and acting. The job Brie Larson did in spots without dialogue are why I believe she will win the oscar. Like Whiplash last year, this is the "little known movie" that i am telling all my friends to see.

3. The Martian
I tend to be a sucker for big, space travel movies that take place in our world, our galaxy. This fit the bill. Very entertaining. I love Jessica Chastain, and don't think she's getting much credit here. Damon was excellent. Again, just a very entertaining film.

4. Love and Mercy
I still love Love and Mercy, the story of Brian Wilson of the Beach Boys. It just touched me. I don't think John Cusack as ever been better, and Paul Dano could have been nominated in the crowded best supporting actor category.

5. The Big Short
I'm a Will Ferrell fan, and by extension, and Adam McKay fan. The story wasn't an easy one to tell, and the cameo's were great. He got a complicated plot across pretty easily. Steve Carrell is turning into a real actor!!

6. Danny Collins
Still got love for this Al Pacino movie that had some great scenes between Pacino and Bobby Cannavale. It's the story of a Wayne Newton type singer reconnecting with a family he ignored for years. I was skeptical going in, but am glad i did.

7. Spotlight
It's a similar movie to All the Presidents Men. Great cast. It's a shame Keaton didn't get a nomination, but the supporting actor category is really crowded this year. McAdams amazingly to me got her first nomination, and it's a really good performance. Easy to watch.

8. Creed aka Rocky VII
I love Rocky, hated Rocky V, and loved Rocky VI. This is a throwback to the original, that still boggles my mind. It's just crazy watching Rock while thinking about Mickey. Jordan did a great job taking the thrown, and has soem great chemistry with Stallone.

9. Joy
It's not a perfect movie. I could go without the Mother watching tv shit, but Jennifer Lawrence is the best actress in the world today, she's a must see in any non franchise role IMO. It's not as good as Silver Linings Playbook, or American Hustle, but should be seen for Lawrence alone!

10. Sicario
Intense, that's the best word i can think of. Del Torro keeps the viewer on their toes. You think you have an idea, but can never be quite sure whats really happening. Emily Blunt keeps on impressing me.

Not in my top 10 but enjoyed none the less
(not gonna list them all, can't remember everything, but there were some pretty good films this year)
Bridge of Spies
Steve Jobs
Straight outta Compton
Mad Max
Black Mass
Trumbo (Cranston was awesome and deserves his oscar nomination)

Worst movies I saw this year
Aloha
Entourage
The Cobbler

Most Disappointing movie

Concussion
BBCF: Notre Dame
TML
Johnny93g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 06:35 PM   #6117
Suicane75
Coordinator

I liked, but did not love The Revanant & Sicario. Thought both were too long and meandering, though the performances in both were outstanding.

Spotlight is easily the best movie I've seen so far this year, by leaps and bounds.

Really enjoyed Bridge Of Spies, though there was nothing blow away about it, just Spielberg and Hanks doing things better than most in their field do them.

Has anyone seen a movie from 2009 called Triangle? Very similar to Memento, Primer, etc. with a great lead performance from Melissa George. I highly recommend it and suggest you learn as little as possible about before viewing. Just dive in, trust me.
Old 01-25-2016, 09:17 PM   #6118
Dutch
"Dutch"

Straight Outta Compton - 9/10 - I don't know what the critics think, but I thought it was a solid tribute to a talented group of dudes.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 09:23 PM   #6119
PilotMan
Head Coach

Saw Sicario. It was solid, 7.5 or 8.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 09:56 PM   #6120
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
Straight Outta Compton - 9/10 - I don't know what the critics think, but I thought it was a solid tribute to a talented group of dudes.

The critics pretty much liked it: 88% on Rotten Tomatoes

Straight Outta Compton*(2015) - Rotten Tomatoes
Old 01-26-2016, 07:11 AM   #6121
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
Spotlight is easily the best movie I've seen so far this year, by leaps and bounds.

My wife & I went to see Spotlight and I was prepared for a good, but not great movie. It was outstanding. The cast was terrific, especially with all the shades of grey. For instance, Crudup's character in a lesser film is a villain, but here there's a nuance that he, well, acts that adds so much more to the character.

Ruffalo in particular has a short speech that I would normally dismiss as overwrought Oscar bait, but in this instance it's easily the most honestly emotional scene I've seen in a movie since I seriously can't remember.

Also, if you liked the political/legal/newsroom plotlines of The Wire you must, must, must see this movie.

If you saw the film, liked it, and it really hit home, then watch this and read the background (SFW, but you'll need sound): Questions and Answers - Ryan Commission - Michael O' Brien Responds - YouTube
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 07:56 AM   #6122
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I'd love to see a Suge Knight film.
Old 01-26-2016, 08:52 PM   #6123
Suicane75
Coordinator

Carol: Sweet lord was I bored to tears. Played like a Lifetime movie with all the silly angst. The leads had zero chemistry and seemed to be more in love with the idea of being lesbians than each other. Just a long, drawn out, disappointing movie on just about every level. I know Blanchette and Mara are good actresses so I'm just going to assume it's the direction and the script that failed them, but my lord. Kyle Chandler is just goofy as the jilted husband and by the end it's so god damned melodramatic that I couldn't help but start laughing.

Timecrimes: French film about a man who stumbles upon a secret compound and accidentally gets sent back in time. Fun and twisty, nothing earth shattering as far as performances go but it does just enough to keep you invested in where it's going.
Old 01-26-2016, 08:53 PM   #6124
Suicane75
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho View Post
My wife & I went to see Spotlight and I was prepared for a good, but not great movie. It was outstanding. The cast was terrific, especially with all the shades of grey. For instance, Crudup's character in a lesser film is a villain, but here there's a nuance that he, well, acts that adds so much more to the character.

Ruffalo in particular has a short speech that I would normally dismiss as overwrought Oscar bait, but in this instance it's easily the most honestly emotional scene I've seen in a movie since I seriously can't remember.

Yeah, for a movie of this scope, to have everyone hit it out of the ballpark performance wise is pretty rare. I'm fairly shocked it's not getting more love.
Old 01-27-2016, 10:34 AM   #6125
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Shocked its not getting more love? It's the odds-on-favorite for Best Picture.
Old 01-27-2016, 12:16 PM   #6126
Suicane75
Coordinator

Is it? I was speaking mainly of word of mouth. I see a lot more people talking up Sicario and The Revenant. I'm pretty much out to lunch on the Oscars though, but I'm glad it's getting some love there.
Old 01-27-2016, 12:17 PM   #6127
digamma
Torchbearer

After the Producer's Guild Awards, The Big Short is the betting favorite, followed by Spotlight and the Revenant.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 12:21 PM   #6128
Suicane75
Coordinator

Fermats Room: French film where 4 people are invited to a party and forced to solve math problems, lest the room they're locked in closes in and crushes them. It was a little frantic given that it's subtitled and a lot of stuff happens pretty quickly but if you like movies in the vein of Cube & Exam then I think you'll enjoy this jaunty little tale.
Old 01-27-2016, 08:04 PM   #6129
Suicane75
Coordinator

The Perfect Host: I had high hopes for this tale of a bank robber on the run who cons his way into a strangers house to hide out, only to have the tables turned. Unfortunately the story doesn't become a web of intriguing turnabout, but rather a convoluted, silly, mess of circumstance. David Hyde Pierce gives it his all as the rather disturbed host, but the script is all over the fucking place and the last act especially will pretty much just piss you off with how over the top the storytelling gets.
Old 01-27-2016, 09:35 PM   #6130
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

Quote:
The Perfect Host: I had high hopes for this tale of a bank robber on the run who cons his way into a strangers house to hide out, only to have the tables turned. Unfortunately the story doesn't become a web of intriguing turnabout, but rather a convoluted, silly, mess of circumstance. David Hyde Pierce gives it his all as the rather disturbed host, but the script is all over the fucking place and the last act especially will pretty much just piss you off with how over the top the storytelling gets.

Oh man, I remember this movie.. Loved most of it, but I agree it gets a little nuts. I thought Niles did a hell of a job though. He could do well with more of that type of material I think. I'd like to see him and William H. Macy play a pair of bookish brothers who are secretly up to some dark shit that nobody knows about or suspects.

FUCK EA
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 10:19 PM   #6131
Edward64
Head Coach

I saw Sicario on Delta this past week. I thoroughly enjoyed it 8/10.

Sicario (2015) - IMDb

Holy crap if its halfway true. I can believe the drug cartel atrocities but Delta operating domestically is an interesting twist to ponder.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 12:05 PM   #6132
Suicane75
Coordinator

Timelapse: Intriguing premise wherein 3 friends find a camera that takes pictures from the future, 24 hours into the future to be precise. Unfortunately that's pretty much where the fun ends as the script is limited in scope, the acting is rather bad and the overall tone of the film lends the viewer more towards frustration than excitement. Even fans of the time travel genre can skip this dull clunker.

Last edited by Suicane75 : 01-28-2016 at 12:05 PM.
Old 01-28-2016, 02:13 PM   #6133
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Timecrimes: French film about a man who stumbles upon a secret compound and accidentally gets sent back in time. Fun and twisty, nothing earth shattering as far as performances go but it does just enough to keep you invested in where it's going.

Yeah I remember liking that one a lot. The bandaged head guy right? Put it right up there with Primer for time looping films and Tell No One for French Films.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 06:13 PM   #6134
Suicane75
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post
Yeah I remember liking that one a lot. The bandaged head guy right?

Yup, that's the one. Proper freaked me out when he showed up.
Old 01-28-2016, 06:47 PM   #6135
stevew
Hall Of Famer

link

So basically 10 Cloverfield Lane is super Mario 2

Last edited by stevew : 01-28-2016 at 06:48 PM.
Old 01-29-2016, 12:50 AM   #6136
Suicane75
Coordinator

The 13th Floor: Story of a computer simulation that allows the user to go into it and live in a created world. Hard to break down as some of it plays like a cheesy Cinemax crime story and some of it plays like a really good sci-fi noir. Gretchen Mol and Vincent D'anofrio are really good, as is the lead whom I don't recall seeing in much of anything. It's a fun movie if you can get over some of the lesser parts and focus on the mystery of what's going on and who's who. Slight recommendation.
Old 01-29-2016, 01:02 AM   #6137
Suicane75
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
link

So basically 10 Cloverfield Lane is super Mario 2

It still looks like a good movie. The Cloverfield connection does nothing for me, thought the original was a piece of shit.
Old 01-29-2016, 11:03 AM   #6138
Suicane75
Coordinator

The Zero Theorem: Terry Gilliam movie that was just a little too out there for my taste, ran it's point into the ground and sort of just meandered. That being said, Christoph Waltz was great and Melanie Thierry was damn near mesmerizing. Visually stunning with great performances but somehow the whole is lesser than it's parts.
Old 01-29-2016, 06:51 PM   #6139
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Suicane, thank you for the recommendations on the French films. I will check them out.
Old 01-29-2016, 10:29 PM   #6140
Suicane75
Coordinator

Frequencies: I'm not smart enough to say that I completely understood everything about Frequencies, or that there's something more to it to understand. But I found it to be an absolutely beautiful movie that deals with destiny and free will in a brilliant manner. It's not going to be for everyone, and it has such wild shifts that I completely understand if it alienates some viewers, but I fully recommend it.
Old 01-29-2016, 10:30 PM   #6141
Suicane75
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
Suicane, thank you for the recommendations on the French films. I will check them out.

Old 01-30-2016, 03:13 AM   #6142
Suicane75
Coordinator

Circle: 50 Strangers find themselves aboard an alien ship, faced with the choice of voting to kill a new person every two minutes in this movie that pretty much relies solely on its premise to get by. The set up is fun, but the writing is horribly lacking and the characters are about as thin as you can get. That being said, it never lost me, though I rolled my eyes plenty of times. Once it gets down to the final 15 or so it pretty much plays like a Survivor tribal council. Could have been much better with a script that didn't rely on stereotypes and actually tried to say something fresh, but it's good enough to slightly recommend.

Last edited by Suicane75 : 01-30-2016 at 03:13 AM.
Old 01-30-2016, 08:34 AM   #6143
tarcone
Coordinator

I watched the Circle I enjoyed it as well. You give an excellent review.
The ending was very good though. Made you think.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 10:40 AM   #6144
Suicane75
Coordinator

Yeah, it just felt like there was a real lost opportunity to be something very good. The racist cop, the woman beating gang member, the affluent banker. The second someone new opened their mouth they pretty much beat you over the head with the stereotype they were supposed to be. A little subtlety would have gone a long way.
Old 01-30-2016, 05:21 PM   #6145
Groundhog
Coordinator

Containment - 7/10

Low budget British sci-fi/thriller about residents who wake up one morning to find themselves sealed in their own apartment, and crews of guys in hazmat suits outside, with no idea what is going on. Not a bad movie, just not as good as I expected based on the reviews I had seen the past couple of months.
Old 01-30-2016, 06:04 PM   #6146
Dutch
"Dutch"

I love the idea of movies like that, but I'm usually left feeling empty for watching them...
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 09:05 PM   #6147
Suicane75
Coordinator

The Nines: From 2008, Ryan Reynolds, Melissa McCarthy and Hope Davis are all excellent in this existential comedy/mystery/love story about an actor who may be having a nervous breakdown, or perhaps something deeper is at play.
Old 01-30-2016, 09:44 PM   #6148
Edward64
Head Coach

Watched Aliens - Extended Cut - 8/10.

Pleasantly surprised at how well it has held up and also by the new scenes (e.g. how the colonists/terraformers first met the Aliens) which I've not seen before.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 11:32 PM   #6149
Suicane75
Coordinator

Suburra: Politics, Religion and The Mafia cross paths in this beautiful and violent tale of corruption from Italy. If you're a fan of the better American made mob films I think you'll love this.
Old 01-31-2016, 03:36 PM   #6150
korme
Go Reds

Saw the Oscar Shorts - Animation, my favorites being Bear Story and We Can't Live without Cosmos. I think Bear Story has a lot more to say other than what is presented onscreen. Cosmos is just a nice little story about friendship that worked. Sanjay's Super Team and Prologue were both very short (6/7 mins) and enough was going on to keep me interested and they were fine on their own. World of Tomorrow didn't work for me, but it got the most laughs in the packed room.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote