Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-28-2016, 12:15 PM   #6101
miami_fan
Coordinator

I took my son to his first live show last night. I have not been to a live show in over 25 years myself so it was a pretty new experience for me as well. I am by no means an expert nor a huge fan but here are my impressions.

Cena-Rollins was probably the best match overall based on the response from the crowd.

Rollins and Bray on the mic were amazing. I did not expect them to address the Reigns suspension but there was Rollins hitting it right off the bat.

I wonder if WWE Creative should be concerned that as soon as the Miz- "Mystery Opponent" match was set up by Stephanie, my eight year old and his friends said that Kane was going to be the opponent and said very matter of factly and with no excitement.

Overall a good night.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 12:41 PM   #6102
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post

I wonder if WWE Creative should be concerned that as soon as the Miz- "Mystery Opponent" match was set up by Stephanie, my eight year old and his friends said that Kane was going to be the opponent and said very matter of factly and with no excitement.

Okay, hard not to just LOL about that.

Great stuff.
Old 06-28-2016, 08:27 PM   #6103
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

I love Rollins coming out and going right after Rollins on the mic.

I think Rollins is quite clearly their best in-ring/on-mic combination at this point.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 09:02 PM   #6104
murrayyyyy
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthomer5000 View Post
I love Rollins coming out and going right after Rollins on the mic.

I think Rollins is quite clearly their best in-ring/on-mic combination at this point.

Weird, I felt as if it was wwe doing what they do worst. I think it was the anniversary of punks "pipebomb" but it felt like he was following a script. I mean he just goes off on his own but they had Roman's tweet up a second after Seth asked for it. If it was really off script there would be no production for the titan ton ready.

When they get pushed up against the wall, they seem to look at what worked before and just place names in those spots. If anyone should have been out there it should have been ambrose. They could have made him their next austin/bryan putting him as the one that called Roman out. Instead they are making him a middle guy.
murrayyyyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 04:08 PM   #6105
RainMaker
General Manager

I got a kick out of this.

RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 04:11 PM   #6106
molson
General Manager

Cena is so great at stuff like that. It really is tough to imagine anyone else ever filling his shoes.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 12:37 PM   #6107
murrayyyyy
College Benchwarmer

I forgot to post this in my crazy dream with the brand split going on but does anyone think we could see a new "Team Canada" with Zayn and KO becoming a tag team and someone like EY or Roode joining later on? I don't know why but it seems like Zayn/KO are going to be the ones to take the belt off New Day. I just think because KO and Zayn can play the middle in a feud against good or bad guys that they would be a perfect fit for this @ Survivor Series in Canada.
Old 07-05-2016, 11:22 AM   #6108
murrayyyyy
College Benchwarmer

Had to know it was coming...

Last edited by murrayyyyy : 07-05-2016 at 11:23 AM.
Old 07-06-2016, 08:23 AM   #6109
murrayyyyy
College Benchwarmer

This is either the greatest thing or the worst thing ever.

Old 07-06-2016, 10:18 AM   #6110
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

so a lifetime of taking drugs gets you a big house, a nice gym, a hot senorita, and makes you batshit insane!
Old 07-06-2016, 12:56 PM   #6111
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulletsponge View Post
so a lifetime of taking drugs gets you a big house, a nice gym, a hot senorita, and makes you batshit insane!

Welcome to Hardyville.

Though, if the chick you mentioned is the one I figure it is, then you left out hot-but-batshit.
Old 07-06-2016, 04:30 PM   #6112
molson
General Manager

(Saw this posted elsewhere)

Fun facts about Final Deletion from Borash's appearance on Wrestling Observer Live:

-Everything he used to do the Final Deletion is available on Amazon
-The Hardys' estate really is a creepy gross swamp full of fog, snakes, and mosquitos
-The whole setup was improvised out of shit they found on Matt's property, including the dilapidated boat
-Jeff has sculptures just sitting around everywhere that he built, including a 12-foot-tall alien
-Matt came up with the persona on the spot when filming the first Broken Matt Hardy vignette and they've just gone with it ever since
-Matt is 100% committed to this character. "It's not performance art, it's creepy!"
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 06:19 PM   #6113
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

My son just reminded me where I was 18 years ago tonight.

Georgia Dome, Hogan vs Goldberg.

Damn, time flies AND I'm old.
Old 07-06-2016, 11:07 PM   #6114
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

So for those of you that follow wrestling other than WWE any predictions on this cruiserweight tourny? Id guess it will be one American and one European in the Finals. Going to make this a worldwide event.

I am sure the WWE will find a way to screw this up but this seems exciting to me. Trying to bring back the sport in it all.

Maybe this will help trigger the lightbulb with the bookers/writers to create more Events/PPVs like this and create the storylines organically from outcomes/events that have meaning rather than creating stupid storylines just to give the fans something beyond belief to follow.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 07-06-2016 at 11:18 PM.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 11:16 PM   #6115
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
So for those of you that follow wrestling other than WWE any predictions on this cruiserweight tourny? Id guess it will be one American and one European in the Finals. Going to make this a worldwide event.

Not sure about a final two but I'll go with a final four of Gran Metallik, Sabre, Jr, Ibushi, and the Gargano/Ciammpa winner.

(I've seen first taping spoilers, honestly don't remember who won that one)
Old 07-06-2016, 11:38 PM   #6116
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

We need, badly, a Cornette watches Final Deletion shoot tape.
Old 07-06-2016, 11:47 PM   #6117
RainMaker
General Manager

I was entertained by the Final Deletion and TNA should just give the book to the Hardys.
Old 07-06-2016, 11:49 PM   #6118
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I'll be 50 years old next year, been watching wrestling for at least 45 of those years. Final Deletion -- aside from the impressive production values given the challenges of the "venue" -- was the single dumbest thing I've ever watched.

Hands down, bar none.
Old 07-06-2016, 11:51 PM   #6119
RainMaker
General Manager

I agree, but I was entertained by the absurdity of it all.
Old 07-06-2016, 11:56 PM   #6120
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I think I'd be capable of being entertained by it IF I didn't believe they actualy think this is ... good.

That makes it tragic to me, the sheer enormity of how fucked in the head they (or at least one of them) have to be. Granted, this isn't a shock considering the participants but still.

There's like a brief moment of clarity -- the fireworks "oh shit" spot was actually funny for the sheer abruptness of it -- but otherwise ... dear God. It's like watching a train hit a busload of preschoolers.
Old 07-07-2016, 12:15 AM   #6121
Suicane75
Coordinator

Nah man, they know how absurd it is. They're just having fun at this point. Part of me thinks they're actually trying to see how far in outer space they can get before TNA says no.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 12:24 AM   #6122
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
Nah man, they know how absurd it is. They're just having fun at this point. Part of me thinks they're actually trying to see how far in outer space they can get before TNA says no.

I honestly don't get that vibe from it. These are two guys with pretty long history of ... reasons to be utterly fucked in the head.

I'm reminded of nothing so much as the -5 star review for Victory Road 2011, where it was suggested that the company should just die & Dixie goes back to being the happy perky receptionist at Panda Energy.

It's past time, the corpse of the promotion is just decomposing at this point.
Old 07-07-2016, 12:43 AM   #6123
Suicane75
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
I honestly don't get that vibe from it. These are two guys with pretty long history of ... reasons to be utterly fucked in the head.

I'm reminded of nothing so much as the -5 star review for Victory Road 2011, where it was suggested that the company should just die & Dixie goes back to being the happy perky receptionist at Panda Energy.

It's past time, the corpse of the promotion is just decomposing at this point.

Oh, I completely agree the company is a walking corpse at this point, but I think Matt knows what he's doing. If you've ever seen some of his ROH stuff and online weirdness, there was a time when he was probably legitimately out there, but he's known what he's doing and been having fun with it for a long time now. The fact that this seems more like his brainchild than Jeffs makes me feel completely comfortable that they're just doing this for shits and giggles.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 01:53 AM   #6124
RainMaker
General Manager

The funny part is they copied his height from Wikipedia because it has the citation noted next to it.

Old 07-07-2016, 06:51 AM   #6125
hoosierdude
High School Varsity

My sons think it is so bad it is good, I just look at it and think, if the Hardys are allowed to do this without some kind of input from the company, then TNA is really on the outs, since they are pushing it hard. What else is going on at TNA? What is the other wrestling feuds (storylines) going, who cares, let's ride this wave and see where it takes us.

I can see why they are doing it, but, man their creative staff must really be poor if this is the best TNA can do. I hope they survive, but, man, you gotta cringe sometimes..

Kudos for trying something different, but, if I was a former WWE wrestler looking to join an organization, I would look hard at ROH and NJPW before I took a chance at TNA.
hoosierdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 09:15 AM   #6126
murrayyyyy
College Benchwarmer

I thought it was great with the amount of easter eggs in it. You got call backs from the fireworks all over Jeff (almost like when the WWE had the Pyro "accident" to get him off TV), the V.1 reference, Willow (which I think Jeff used all the way back in OMEGA) and Matt even has flash backs before setting Jeff's logo on fire (when the scree ngoes nuts it's pictures of them winning the tag title on X division ropes, picture of them outside of their high school, etc). Part of me wonders if the entire thing was a call back to Stagger Lee/Midnight Rider/Mr R. type stories. (I know, probably thinking too deep about it)

Also worth noting. The July 5th episode of Impact Wrestling averaged 410,000 viewers, way up from last week’s 322,000. This was the most-watched episode of Impact since moving to Pop back in December. This is coming off a week when RAW had it's worst TV ratings in a long time.

With Impact releasing the tape early to wrestlers, do we think it's just a coincidence that the Wyatt's had a pre-taped performance for RAW? I think Final Deletion's impact combined with Lucha Underground's success will lead the WWE back to pre-taped segments. I mean the wrestling in FD was horrible but I just thought it was shot very well and made you feel like you were watching a story for once even if you hated it.
Old 07-07-2016, 10:57 AM   #6127
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by murrayyyyy View Post
This is coming off a week when RAW had it's worst TV ratings in a long time.

Well, it was the 4th.

Quote:
do we think it's just a coincidence that the Wyatt's had a pre-taped performance for RAW?

Absolutely. It's not the first time they've had one IIRC.
Old 07-07-2016, 11:28 AM   #6128
murrayyyyy
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Well, it was the 4th.

There's always an excuse though. It was the NBA playoffs or Monday Night football games between Jaguars and the Titans. It was Reigns being a boring champion. It's one of the few shows they didn't lose viewers going deeper into the show (third hour is usualy a huge drop off). That's a wake up call for the WWE and they were shown how to use social media by a lesser company by two guys who are washed up.

Quote:
Absolutely. It's not the first time they've had one IIRC.

When was the last time? When he was in that 3 week feud with Roman following his daughter? Don't get me wrong, I think it adds a lot to the product to do them. They should be used when someone is injured (I mean when's the last match with anyone from the Wyatt Family) to keep them relevant. The timing just seems weird as they've gone with using the Wyatt's for the firefly effect because it looks cool to a production piece suddenly. Monday will probably tell more as Smackdown should focus on Austin tonight (if anyone can make a storyline in the WWE anymore).

Watching Impact my kid kept asking me who the guy in green was (Gregory Helms) so I pulled up those pre-taped segments when it was Hurricane vs the Rock to show who he was. The Rock was great at pre-taped breaks to allow the crowd to get in their cheers/boos. I just think the early release of FD match got back to Vince and the light bulb went on that "hey, we use to be great at those". When they were at their best in the past (ratings wise) they had taped segments. DX on a tank, Austin-Rock with a bridge, hell even Booker T Austin in a 7-11. All those were pre-taped and helped their guys go over huge because they didn't have to worry about them talking about Tater tots on live TV.
Old 07-07-2016, 12:40 PM   #6129
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
All those were pre-taped and helped their guys go over huge because they didn't have to worry about them talking about Tater tots on live TV.

The irony of that, maybe, being that the tank skit was almost completely improvised, according to the way the participants tell it on the segment in the Monday Night Wars documentary/series thing.

Were those guys -- and let's remember who we're talking about specifically in that instance -- really that much smarter than today's rosters? Damn, that's kinda scary to consider (though it's a very real possibility I suppose).
Old 07-07-2016, 12:52 PM   #6130
murrayyyyy
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
The irony of that, maybe, being that the tank skit was almost completely improvised, according to the way the participants tell it on the segment in the Monday Night Wars documentary/series thing.

Were those guys -- and let's remember who we're talking about specifically in that instance -- really that much smarter than today's rosters? Damn, that's kinda scary to consider (though it's a very real possibility I suppose).

Easily because they were allowed to fail back then. For every great pre taped skit there is a stinker like Katie Vick or dx dumping fake poop on someone. But they are still seen as great today because "Those" guys all knew how to manipulate the crowd. Besides New Day, what CLIQ can do this today? I don't think the club can even pull this off right now. I mean the best thing Anderson has said is that he has a hot Asian wife. Part of me thinks Russo was right with wrestling not always being about wrestling. Do we think more of the Attitude Era guys because of their ring performances or their mic skills?
Old 07-07-2016, 01:16 PM   #6131
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Easily because they were allowed to fail back then. For every great pre taped skit there is a stinker like Katie Vick or dx dumping fake poop on someone. But they are still seen as great today because "Those" guys all knew how to manipulate the crowd. Besides New Day, what CLIQ can do this today? I don't think the club can even pull this off right now. I mean the best thing Anderson has said is that he has a hot Asian wife. Part of me thinks Russo was right with wrestling not always being about wrestling. Do we think more of the Attitude Era guys because of their ring performances or their mic skills?

I think Arn's frequent point about guys simply not having the number of dates to have the green worn off them (my paraphrase) plays a role in that.

While not all of the attitude era guys weren't quite from the original oldest old school days, many rode some miles & worked several years of the 250-300 nights a year era. That didn't just bring ring skills, it improved the psychology (and therefore the ability to improvise) they ended up with.

As for The Club specifically, I've thought they've looked extremely vulnerable time & again, almost to the point of being "exposed".

New Day has "it",at least for the moment. How much of that is Woods though, remains to be seen. I think under Bray's leadership the Family has most of it (entirely on the basis of him). Not sure how many others tho.
Old 07-07-2016, 11:22 PM   #6132
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Lesnar versus ... Orton, for summerslam.

Announced tonight on Smackdown apparently
Old 07-12-2016, 01:34 AM   #6133
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

My apologies for thinking WWE was too smart to try to copy The Deletion.
Those who called it were right, and I was wrong.
{shakes head}
Old 07-12-2016, 03:47 AM   #6134
RainMaker
General Manager

Ambrose is really good.

Ambrose's amazing promo - Streamable
Old 07-12-2016, 05:58 AM   #6135
Mota
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Ambrose is really good.

Ambrose's amazing promo - Streamable

Yeah that was great! Nice to see him doing what he does best, instead of all those cutesy promos that were obviously given to him this past year.

He can pull off that intensity well. Makes you want to see him defend the title.
Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 07:33 AM   #6136
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Tonight's promo was like you took some of his best moments, polished them, and put them on display.

Ambrose/Moxley- Promo Compilation - YouTube
Old 07-12-2016, 08:23 AM   #6137
murrayyyyy
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
My apologies for thinking WWE was too smart to try to copy The Deletion.
Those who called it were right, and I was wrong.
{shakes head}

I didn't see it yet but please tell me it had some of the following elements.

1) Dunn's shit camera elements
2) Pickup trucks in the woods because wasn't RAW in Detroit and that would make perfect sense
3) A commercial break in the middle of the action
4) They're just having fun Maggle! Like obscure wrestlers x,y,z and then someone you've heard of
5) End with New Day not being able to find any Wyatts and Bray suddenly appearing and saying feed the buzzards because that line is only 4 years old and hasn't gotten over yet.

And I think it's funny that Cass and Enzo got that American Alpha set I threw out there.

The WWE is just struggling to think of anything original right now. I'm sure this brand split well help a ton since they can't write an original story line for 6 superstars, let's double that workload!
Old 07-12-2016, 10:35 AM   #6138
General Mike
Pro Starter

Calling Shane McMahon the commissioner of Smackdown Live maybe the lamest title in wrestling history
Nebraska Coach FOFC-BBCF
Rutgers & Washington coach Bowl Bound-BBCF
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 10:39 AM   #6139
murrayyyyy
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Mike View Post
Calling Shane McMahon the commissioner of Smackdown Live maybe the lamest title in wrestling history

Okay, so having not watched RAW, why the hell did my phone say something about the Yes movement takes over Smackdown live? Is Shane the commish and DB the GM? When I read the blurb it said that both children pick their GM next week but the title pretty much told me who the GM would be fore Smackdown, didn't it?
Old 07-12-2016, 12:17 PM   #6140
General Mike
Pro Starter

Quote:
Okay, so having not watched RAW, why the hell did my phone say something about the Yes movement takes over Smackdown live? Is Shane the commish and DB the GM? When I read the blurb it said that both children pick their GM next week but the title pretty much told me who the GM would be fore Smackdown, didn't it?

Yeah I think they spoiled their own stuff. Still not sure who will be Raw GM though.
Nebraska Coach FOFC-BBCF
Old 07-12-2016, 01:10 PM   #6141
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I didn't see it yet but please tell me it had some of the following elements.

1) Dunn's shit camera elements
2) Pickup trucks in the woods because wasn't RAW in Detroit and that would make perfect sense
3) A commercial break in the middle of the action
4) They're just having fun Maggle! Like obscure wrestlers x,y,z and then someone you've heard of
5) End with New Day not being able to find any Wyatts and Bray suddenly appearing and saying feed the buzzards because that line is only 4 years old and hasn't gotten over yet.

And I think it's funny that Cass and Enzo got that American Alpha set I threw out there.

The WWE is just struggling to think of anything original right now. I'm sure this brand split well help a ton since they can't write an original story line for 6 superstars, let's double that workload!

It's got at least 1, kinda 2, most definitely 5 almost.
It's too short to have have 3, I think, and was so bad that I ffwd through it and can't swear about 4.
Old 07-12-2016, 04:54 PM   #6142
Scarecrow
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Mike View Post
Yeah I think they spoiled their own stuff. Still not sure who will be Raw GM though.

Thought it was odd the Steph was doing the 'Yes, Yes, Yes' thing last night...
Old 07-12-2016, 06:32 PM   #6143
General Mike
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarecrow View Post
Thought it was odd the Steph was doing the 'Yes, Yes, Yes' thing last night...

Cheap attempt to get cheers from the sheep. F'n hate Stephanie McMahon's character. Depending on how the draft goes, I may give up Raw completely.
Nebraska Coach FOFC-BBCF
Old 07-13-2016, 11:32 PM   #6144
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Even with one botched move, the Sean Maluta kid (another Afa nephew) looked pretty good in the first night of the CWC.

Definitely NXT roster caliber, no matter whether he eventually gets a shot or not, he could do it easily.
Old 07-14-2016, 10:31 AM   #6145
murrayyyyy
College Benchwarmer

Well looks like Impact has decided to let Matt run with it...

Old 07-14-2016, 03:45 PM   #6146
PilotMan
Head Coach

Taking the youngest to the NXT house show here tomorrow night. Finn Balor is his favorite by far, and he about melted when he found out he was coming. How could I not take him to that show?

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 06:21 PM   #6147
RainMaker
General Manager

I love the work WWE did with graphics for the CWC. The presentation makes it feel like a big deal. Especially the video game style mashups.

squaredcircle GIF | Create, Discover and Share on Gfycat
Old 07-18-2016, 06:04 PM   #6148
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

This is mostly for Jon and the other Cult Of Enzo folks. This was a pretty good "freestyle".

Enzo freestyles on the imminent WWE Draft and you can't teach that: July 14, 2016 - YouTube
Old 07-18-2016, 06:15 PM   #6149
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
This is mostly for Jon and the other Cult Of Enzo folks. This was a pretty good "freestyle".

Enzo freestyles on the imminent WWE Draft and you can't teach that: July 14, 2016 - YouTube

Heh, my son showed me that very clip earlier.

That's when I realized that there's a very good chance that he's blessed with a photographic memory.
Old 07-18-2016, 06:42 PM   #6150
RainMaker
General Manager

So it sounds like 6 NXT wrestlers will be drafted. Any thoughts on who?

My guess is Balor, Bayley, Aries, Nia Jax and then I'm stumped. Maybe a tag team like American Alpha. Maybe guys like Tye Dillinger and Mojo Rawley who have been around forever and they'll see if they can make it on the main roster.