Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

View Poll Results: Who will take the White House?
Obama 151 68.95%
McCain 63 28.77%
Surprise? (Maybe Mr. Trout?) 5 2.28%
Voters: 219. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-01-2008, 06:47 AM   #6151
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlifornia View Post
Too bad..your candidate made a horrific decision, and now he's getting roasted over the coals for it by the media.

Horrific decision?

FiveThirtyEight.com: Electoral Projections Done Right: On Dumping Palin

Quote:
In the Colorado Springs volunteer office, “you could hear a pin drop” in the days before Palin was picked. In Reno, the volunteering had been anemic; the Saturday morning after the Palin pick, organizers arrived to an early morning volunteer line waiting at the door.

Our direct observation shows McCain is being overwhelmingly outworked on the ground as it is; Take Palin away and you can add 2-5% to Obama’s total in every close state due to ground game. As Bill Paxton once said, "Game over, man, game over!"

Obviously it helped McCain a great deal in this race.
Old 10-01-2008, 07:06 AM   #6152
astrosfan64
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles View Post
It's simply a different perspective. I understand many won't agree, but it's nice to know that once again dissent from the right is treated with respect in this thread.

I think I'll let the 90% of the Obama lovers pat each other on the back for the rest of this thread and check in from time to time. But, I lack the determination and patience required to respond to the 10-15 angry/belittling comments made for everyone I make at this point. It's just not worth the time (and I have other things to work on now ).

Arles - Palin is the first person I've ever seen talk that makes George Bush look like a scholar.

This lady is a dolt.

On a different note, reading the NYT, Newsweek or any other paper of choice makes you an idiot. I should hope that if you are a president, vp, or someone running for the spot you get your news and information from more reliable sources then those crap papers/magazines.

Last edited by astrosfan64 : 10-01-2008 at 07:06 AM.
astrosfan64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 07:26 AM   #6153
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
1. i don't think we should have a president (or VP) who while on the campaign trail is reading the anchorage gazette and the wasilla times (or whatever) over the NYT, the Washington Post, and Time magazine.

I really hope that we don't have an actual president or VP who wastes their time reading any of the above. Summaries of them okay maybe, but actually reading major portions of them? If the person in either position has that sort of time when the majority of the country doesn't then maybe they need to look at their priorities & find something more worthwhile to work on.

And that goes for Bush, Obama, or anybody from either party (that ends up in a top 2 executive position).
Old 10-01-2008, 07:44 AM   #6154
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
I really hope that we don't have an actual president or VP who wastes their time reading any of the above. Summaries of them okay maybe, but actually reading major portions of them? If the person in either position has that sort of time when the majority of the country doesn't then maybe they need to look at their priorities & find something more worthwhile to work on.

And that goes for Bush, Obama, or anybody from either party (that ends up in a top 2 executive position).

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that more accurate info would likely be available first-hand in the Oval Office.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 07:50 AM   #6155
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Agreed- if you have enough time to read a paper more than once in a blue moon, you're probably not doing your job and that's where she's at right now. She's getting pumped so full of information that I'm sure she hasn't read a newspaper since getting the VP nod.

I just don't understand why she didn't say that- "I haven't read the paper since being picked, it's been a whirlwind", flash smile, onto next question. Or, "on the campaign trail, we get our news off the internet" or "I don't read the paper much but we watch a lot of news off the tv since it's a quicker response media".

But she didn't even have the wherewithal to think of anything- she just stood there like a deer in the headlights and bumbled something out. She looked like me in a job interview (I do poorly in that arena, to be sure). And you can see it in her eyes- she's always searching for a handler's answer and how she can fit it to the question. Whereas she couldn't judge that it was just a harmless question and she could go off the cuff.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 07:51 AM   #6156
Flasch186
Coordinator

Quote:
It's simply a different perspective. I understand many won't agree, but it's nice to know that once again dissent from the right is treated with respect in this thread.

I think I'll let the 90% of the Obama lovers pat each other on the back for the rest of this thread and check in from time to time. But, I lack the determination and patience required to respond to the 10-15 angry/belittling comments made for everyone I make at this point. It's just not worth the time (and I have other things to work on now ).

at least your dissent isnt being called unpatriotic.

BTW the correct answer for Palin wouldve been to flip it around on Couric to sarcastically say, "y'know Katie the only thing I truly feel loyalty to is CBS news. Ill get summaries of a lot of different things, most recently been knee deep in security paperwork regarding our country's national security or in the case of the last few days details from Sec. Paulson, Bernanke, and the Senate and House leaders regarding the Financial Crisis, but at 630 it all shuts down so I can watch you on TV." ~ or something like that.

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL

Last edited by Flasch186 : 10-01-2008 at 07:57 AM.
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 07:52 AM   #6157
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlifornia View Post
Sounds like John McCain's/McCain's advisors' fault to me.....Maybe he should have chose someone a little more fire-retardant than Palin.

Too bad..your candidate made a horrific decision, and now he's getting roasted over the coals for it by the media.

I understand what you're saying, but I think politics has simply entered a post-fact stage now. Look at this thread for perfectly good evidence. You have people lining up to defend pretty much anything that Sarah Palin does or says, and when even they can't continue to do so, they simply sidestep and attack the media instead.

And look at the people who are breathlessly posting and re-posting the evidence that she was a terrible selection. You think any of those people's votes were up for grabs and potentially swayed by a more thoughtful, experienced running mate for Senator McCain?

Let's face it. Elections don't get decided by people who have the timber to wade into threads like this. They get decided by the people who are over in the "console sales" thread bickering about whether Alien Hard-on Bloodbath IV will be better than III (or their societal equivalents). Those are the Americans who get to decide this stuff, not anyone here, and most definitely not anyone who is actually investing time into trying to understand issues or policy at any meaningful level.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 07:53 AM   #6158
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that more accurate info would likely be available first-hand in the Oval Office.

"Sir, Peter Gammons is here to give you yesterday's baseball highlights, Marilyn vos Savant will be working the NY Times crossword puzzle with you, and Cobra Commander would like you to give him your weather forecast for today so he can set the Weather Dominator appropriately"

SI

Old 10-01-2008, 07:56 AM   #6159
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
Let's face it. Elections don't get decided by people who have the timber to wade into threads like this. They get decided by the people who are over in the "console sales" thread bickering about whether Alien Hard-on Bloodbath IV will be better than III (or their societal equivalents). Those are the Americans who get to decide this stuff, not anyone here, and most definitely not anyone who is actually investing time into trying to understand issues or policy at any meaningful level.

(I would point out that a lot of the people in the console sales thread are here)

Finally, something I can sink my teeth into in this thread! The Alien Hard-on Bloodbath series just went downhill after II, man. Everyone should know that! Oh, and when's the election? Is that Ron Paul guy still running?

SI

Old 10-01-2008, 07:58 AM   #6160
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
(I would point out that a lot of the people in the console sales thread are here)

Where?
Old 10-01-2008, 07:58 AM   #6161
Mac Howard
Sick as a Parrot

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post

But isn't that depressing?

I think it was Winston Churchill who once said something to the effect that the best argument against democracy was to spend an hour with the average voter

Elitist crap, of course

Last edited by Mac Howard : 10-01-2008 at 07:59 AM.
Mac Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 07:59 AM   #6162
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
In football terms, Palin is basically Eli Manning from 3 years ago and Obama/Biden are Brett Favre. No matter what Palin does, the media will report it in the worst possible light. With Obama/Biden, they circle the wagons. Palin has made plenty of mistakes and mis-statements, but so have the other three candidates.

Exactly, one's a QB who has been in the spotlight for a few years (or a lot of years if you're Biden) while the other is a pissant johnny-come-lately spoiled brat who whined until he got sent to a team he and his daddy approved of. Yeah, I see some similarities there but it's not a perfect analogy.

SI

Old 10-01-2008, 08:01 AM   #6163
Mac Howard
Sick as a Parrot

Quote:
Exactly, one's a QB who has been in the spotlight for a few years (or a lot of years if you're Biden) while the other is a pissant johnny-come-lately spoiled brat who whined until he got sent to a team he and his daddy approved of. Yeah, I see some similarities there but it's not a perfect analogy.

SI

lol
Old 10-01-2008, 08:04 AM   #6164
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac Howard View Post
I think it was Winston Churchill who once said something to the effect that the best argument against democracy was to spend an hour with the average voter Elitist crap, of course

Churchill was far too optimistic. No way you'd need an hour.
Old 10-01-2008, 08:05 AM   #6165
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Where?

Well, you, me, Sack, Big Fo, cartman, I was thinking wade moore but maybe he was just in the recession thread. There are a few of us who just love arguing or something like that

SI

Old 10-01-2008, 08:05 AM   #6166
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

It took them under 5 minutes to point this out on Monday on the Daily Show

SI

Old 10-01-2008, 08:10 AM   #6167
Mac Howard
Sick as a Parrot

Quote:

Old 10-01-2008, 08:26 AM   #6168
Flasch186
Coordinator

LOL

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Old 10-01-2008, 08:35 AM   #6169
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

touche. i guess i shouldn't have said "read" and should have said more like "had more of a familiarity with"

essentially: i'd rather have someone who's idea of a newspaper is closer to the NYT than the Anchorage Gazette. Does that make anymore sense?

I certainly don't want any candidate getting their news from either source, but I'd much rather have someone who would be inclined to read the NYT over the Anchorage Gazette.

Does that make things any better?
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 09:02 AM   #6170
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
touche. i guess i shouldn't have said "read" and should have said more like "had more of a familiarity with"

essentially: i'd rather have someone who's idea of a newspaper is closer to the NYT than the Anchorage Gazette. Does that make anymore sense?

I certainly don't want any candidate getting their news from either source, but I'd much rather have someone who would be inclined to read the NYT over the Anchorage Gazette.

Does that make things any better?

Somewhat, although I still think it fails to take a practical reality into account -- that in this case we're talking about the sitting governor of a state.

I can't help but figure that a sitting Gov. Clinton read Arkansas papers as/more closely than the NYT, just as Gov. Perdue reads Georgia papers more closely today, just as Gov. Richardson reads New Mexico papers, etc.

Candidate or not, I would think the routine would die hard especially considering how little time I figure any candidate has to spend reading newspapers while they're on the trail. Throw in the amount of wire service content they all share & I really don't see a great deal of difference what paper they read if any. There's probably an equally legit shot to be taken today at anyone who reads a hard copy (vs the online edition) of any of them anyway.

edit to add: And that's coming from someone who has consistently been less than impressed by the Palin pick.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 10-01-2008 at 09:02 AM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 09:03 AM   #6171
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
The problem is that he is going to get conflicting advice and will succumb to analysis paralysis.

By all accounts Obama has been, throughout his career, very good at either a) obtaining a decision via consensus or b) where consensus isn't going to happen, making a decision on the available information so things can move forward.

Obama's not Jimmy Carter. He's more attuned to late Boomers/Gen-Xers in business who value continuing progress over extended periods gaining consensus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post
Do you think you learn more from the more diverse demographics of a school like Arkansas, than an exclusive school like Harvard or Yale, that will benefit you in politics in life?

IMO, the main benefit of going to prestigious schools is the opportunity to network. Obviously there are other benefits like prof/student ratio (mitigated by having TAs for a lot of courses) and better facilities, but it's the networking that's going to help you the most later in life, if you take advantage of it.

I think that can be especially important for politicians, in the sense that it can help them be more successful in raising money & winning elections. I don't think it necessarily adds a lot to their understanding, unless they themselves are naturally attuned to those possibilities.

For instance, the stereotypical drunken legacy-admission student to Harvard probably doesn't get a lot out of the diversity and exposure to top minds at Harvard because he/she doesn't really care. The driven blue-collar student at, say, the University of Minnesota, who takes advantage of a study abroad program, seeks out campus programs, and wrings every possible learning opportunity out of that institution, probably gets more out of their 4 years.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 09:18 AM   #6172
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
She's clearly out of her league at this point, but she's had a very inspiring career.

Extremely successful people tend to find themselves in positions before they're ready for them.

Seriously though, if Palin doesn't read the newspaper, then she should say so. I don't understand why she was having a hard time with that.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 09:25 AM   #6173
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Wow, she didn't remember the name of a few newspapers or magazines that she had recently read off the top of her head. What a travesty! How can we have a president who doesn't state off the bat they read Newsweek, Time, the Washington Post and New York Times.

You're missing the point. Her answer is a transparent evasion of a very simple question. She sounds like a 10-year-old answering the question "Why did you force your younger brother to eat slugs?"

You know, an acceptable answer would have been "I read a little of everything, depending on the time I have available. The Anchorage paper, of course, national newspapers & magazines, and of course the Wasilla Times so I don't lose touch with home!" But no, she has so say "all of them", which is just ridiculous. I mean, who reads "all of them?"

Quote:
In football terms, Palin is basically Eli Manning from 3 years ago and Obama/Biden are Brett Favre. No matter what Palin does, the media will report it in the worst possible light. With Obama/Biden, they circle the wagons. Palin has made plenty of mistakes and mis-statements, but so have the other three candidates.

Archie's draft day machinations, combined with the hype and comments from Accorsi & Coughlin, made it quite clear that Eli was supposed to be a Super Bowl QB. Until he won the Super Bowl, everything he did was compared to this standard, and as a result he often failed to achieve this standard. Thus was every mistake amplified.

You pick a VP candidate, you tell everyone she's awesome, and then she acts less prepared than a first-year U.S. Rep, well of course there's going to be a media frenzy.

It's a simple case of signal to noise. Sure Obama & Biden have some noise in their records (mistakes, gaffes, etc...), but there's plenty of signal (saying the right things, looking presidential, accomplishments, etc...). Palin's noise-to-signal ratio isn't very good, and American loves noise.

Quote:
For whatever reason (you can choose from she's young and pretty, not schooled in the right university, a pro-life woman, has a weird accent, from Alaska, she's undeserving in many people's mind), a ton of people (esp on the left) just flat out despise her and are giddy at every mis-step she makes.

Two things:

1. The media pays attention to her because she's a walking, talking copy-generator. The McCain campaign clearly hoped the media would pay attention to her because she was young, pretty and sharp-minded. Well, you live and die by that sword.

2. Face it, her stance on many issues makes her polarizing. More polarizing than the other three. There's going to be a sizable chunck of the electorate who, because of her stance on the issues, want to mount a crusade against her getting into office.

Quote:

When I interned for George Mitchell I worked in his press office, and was pretty sure he didn't read/watch much of the media. I know one of the things we did each day was compile a "briefing book" of newspaper clips from his home state (Maine), which I understood he read each day personally so that he was kept up-to-date with his home state (this book was circulated, by me, to about 25 of his staff at the time - which was fun, btw).

I'm sure some federal politicians read a newspaper daily, especially those with non-trivial commutes (Joe Biden, for instance). But yeah, most, especially the senior ones, should be getting more first-hand info, and that goes doubly for the President.

Quote:
Agreed- if you have enough time to read a paper more than once in a blue moon, you're probably not doing your job

When I took the train into Chicago on a regular basis for work, almost everyone older than 35 was reading the NYT, WSJ or Chicago Tribune. In fact, you could tell who was a lawyer/judge because they were reading the NYT and who was working for the Merc or elsewhere in the financial industry because they were reading the WSJ.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 09:37 AM   #6174
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
Seriously though, if Palin doesn't read the newspaper, then she should say so. I don't understand why she was having a hard time with that.

Sure, it was an embarassing display. And as this discussion illustrates, it was actually kind of interesting question - where DOES a governor get their news from? Any answer would have been fine. The Alaska governor should be in tune with Alaska news first. One who's running for VP should probably have a passing interesting beyond that. But whatever, any answer would have been better than the one she gave.

I was just expressing the fact that this lady has had a pretty remarkable political career. Hopefully she can recover from all this (I'm assuming back in Alaska after the election).

Last edited by molson : 10-01-2008 at 09:38 AM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 09:48 AM   #6175
chesapeake
College Starter

Quote:
I can't help but figure that a sitting Gov. Clinton read Arkansas papers as/more closely than the NYT, just as Gov. Perdue reads Georgia papers more closely today, just as Gov. Richardson reads New Mexico papers, etc.

Clinton isn't a fair comparison. He was a current events & news nerd even before he was governor. You can still be a great elected official and not read every page of every paper.

But your key point is that Palin's staff should be assembling Alaska newsclips from all the papers in the state every day, and she should be reading them. I expect that she does. She should have said exactly that to Katie. By evading the question, she forces the viewer to draw his/her own conclusion as to whether she reads anything at all. Not smart.

Don't count Palin out yet. By stumbling as much as she has over the past couple of weeks, the expectations about her performance at the debate will be Bushian. If she can appear even modestly competent, she'll probably get decent reviews and be back on track. If, somehow, she comes of reasonably well, the ticket could get a big boost.

Biden, on the other hand, has to come off as brilliant for his performance to have any effect on the race.
chesapeake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 09:49 AM   #6176
Fighter of Foo
College Prospect

Quote:

+1 The unnecessary obfuscation and lying is the problem. No one gives a shit what paper she reads or doesn't.
Fighter of Foo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 09:52 AM   #6177
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac Howard View Post
I think it was Winston Churchill who once said something to the effect that the best argument against democracy was to spend an hour with the average voter

That's one of the reasons I'm glad that the United States is a republic instead of a democracy.
Vegas Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 10:01 AM   #6178
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Vic View Post
That's one of the reasons I'm glad that the United States is a republic instead of a democracy.

Old 10-01-2008, 10:34 AM   #6179
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

I find Arles staunch defense of Palin to be laughable, until I think about it more and then it becomes a little sad.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 10:42 AM   #6180
lungs
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Vic View Post

And I'm guessing a good portion of the electorate doesn't know the difference between the two.
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 10:46 AM   #6181
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
I agree completely here. Listen, I have an unhealthy amount of bias for Palin. I would agree that most people should not feel all that safe if Palin is president tomorrow. Heck, I'm one of Palin's biggest fans and that would worry me. Still, if there's one thing about McCain, it's that he is one resilient old mofo. I don't see how someone who survived years in a torture camp, defeated cancer twice and survived other serious injuries would somehow kick the bucket a month after he's elected. This guy is going to outlive a ton of people - he's the Keith Richards of politics

But, I want to be clear that I completely understand the apprehension with Palin and think it's fair. My comments have been more aimed at some of the specific criticisms which I think are a double standard when compared to her and the other three. Still, the debate is going to be big for her and she needs a quality showing to get some good vibes going for the home stretch.
Old 10-01-2008, 10:50 AM   #6182
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
I find Arles staunch defense of Palin to be laughable, until I think about it more and then it becomes a little sad.
Another quality, well-reasoned dismissive comment that has become very commonplace in this thread. There were a ton of strong arguments you could have made in 2-3 sentences on why my comments were not appropriate. Instead, you played the "pity" card which is always a wonderful way to enter a discussion.

Kudos for you for making my point above and making it 100% clear that there is really no value in replying to this thread (as QS said above). Here's my comments again:

Quote:
I think I'll let the 90% of the Obama lovers pat each other on the back for the rest of this thread and check in from time to time. But, I lack the determination and patience required to respond to the 10-15 angry/belittling comments made for everyone I make at this point. It's just not worth the time
Old 10-01-2008, 11:06 AM   #6183
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Another quality, well-reasoned dismissive comment that has become very commonplace in this thread. There were a ton of strong arguments you could have made in 2-3 sentences on why my comments were not appropriate. Instead, you played the "pity" card which is always a wonderful way to enter a discussion.

Kudos for you for making my point above and making it 100% clear that there is really no value in replying to this thread (as QS said above). Here's my comments again:

How's this: your defense of Palin is like the parent of a convicted murderer that just can't admit that her little 'baby' would ever do anything wrong, despite the security camera footage of her 'baby' shooting the store clerk and stealing the cash from the register. Sometimes, no matter how much you love something or want to defend it, it just becomes indefensible.

Palin has generated more embarassing footage out of one interview than many politicians do in entire careers. Her response to the video in question here is AWFUL. "All of them". Really? It was one thing when she spun off into a series of talking points, but to respond with "all of them" is ABSOLUTELY PATHETIC. The only thing more pathetic is someone trying to defend it.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Old 10-01-2008, 11:29 AM   #6184
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
The only thing more pathetic is someone trying to defend it.

Nah, there's plenty of worse stuff. Off the top of my head, watching anyone try to defend a empty suit liberal piece of walking dog crap like Obama as being worthy of entering the Oval Office except as a tourist is a lot more pathetic.
And that's just an easy example off the cuff.
Old 10-01-2008, 11:29 AM   #6185
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Expect a lot of litigation and recounts in Missouri if the vote is close. I spoke with a friend who works for the county election office and Missouri voter registration is receiving a large number of ACORN fradulent voter registration applications in several counties in Kansas City, Columbia, Jefferson City, St. Louis, and Springfield. He said they aren't sure how many bad registrations may have slipped through. They just busted 4 ACORN workers here in KC in conjunction with the fraud, but they think there may be more...........

ACORN Workers Indicted For Alleged Voter Fraud - Politics News Story - KMBC Kansas City

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 10-01-2008 at 11:31 AM.
Old 10-01-2008, 11:29 AM   #6186
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Nah, there's plenty of worse stuff. Off the top of my head, watching anyone try to defend a empty suit liberal piece of walking dog crap like Obama as being worthy of entering the Oval Office except as a tourist is a lot more pathetic.

Old 10-01-2008, 11:32 AM   #6187
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
They just busted 4 ACORN workers here in KC in conjunction with the fraud...........

Heck, that's not fraud. That's just well-intentioned, albeit slightly overzealous, effort to enhance minority voter involvement. You must be a rich white racist capitalist pig to even suggest otherwise, you should be ashamed of yourself.

What's next, are you going to mock worthwhile activities such as community organization?
Old 10-01-2008, 11:34 AM   #6188
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

There's so much spin in this thread that every time I read it, I go back in time.
Old 10-01-2008, 11:35 AM   #6189
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Obviously you failed to read my words with the appropriate cloyingly sweet tone of voice that I used in order to pretend that my comment was an impartial observation instead of partisanship. Try it with the right tone of voice & see if you're less concerned.

Hey, it seems to work for the lefties here, I figured it would work for me too.
Old 10-01-2008, 11:40 AM   #6190
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:

I get the impression you're trying to stir me up, but if so, you're barking up the wrong tree. As an outsider I'm not really partial to any of your candidates.
Old 10-01-2008, 11:41 AM   #6191
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Obviously you failed to read my words with the appropriate cloyingly sweet tone of voice that I used in order to pretend that my comment was an impartial observation instead of partisanship. Try it with the right tone of voice & see if you're less concerned.

Hey, it seems to work for the lefties here, I figured it would work for me too.

Always good for a Jon.
Old 10-01-2008, 11:42 AM   #6192
I. J. Reilly
College Prospect

The answer Palin gave Couric about what she reads is damning because up until a month ago she was in the same position as just about every other citizen in the country. There is no way that as governor of Alaska she had a staff generated report each day about the big international issues. If she was interested in the information, she would have had to seek it out herself.

And the relevance of the NYT and the WSJ are not in the reporting, as said above the AP does an adequate job of that, the value is in the intellectual level of the commentary and editorials. Even in the internet age all the big thoughts end up in the major broadsheets as op-eds. She could have easily said “I stopped reading the NYT because the commentary from the likes of Paul Krugman has become so biased that it’s lost all value.” It would have been a great answer, but I doubt Palin has any idea who Krugman is.
I. J. Reilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 11:45 AM   #6193
chesapeake
College Starter

Quote:
Expect a lot of litigation and recounts in Missouri if the vote is close. I spoke with a friend who works for the county election office and Missouri voter registration is receiving a large number of ACORN fradulent voter registration applications in several counties in Kansas City, Columbia, Jefferson City, St. Louis, and Springfield. He said they aren't sure how many bad registrations may have slipped through. They just busted 4 ACORN workers here in KC in conjunction with the fraud, but they think there may be more...........

ACORN Workers Indicted For Alleged Voter Fraud - Politics News Story - KMBC Kansas City

The story you posted "just happened" 2 years ago. Look at the date on the story.
chesapeake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 11:49 AM   #6194
molson
General Manager

I don't think Palin needs much help looking bad at this debate tomorrow night, but this just adds to what might be a perfect storm for entertainment (from wiki):

"Gwen Ifill, the scheduled moderator of the October 2, 2008 vice presidential debate, wrote a book called The Breakthrough: Politics and Race in the Age of Obama, which is being released on January 20, 2009."

How is this allowed? Imagine liberals, that the 2nd debate was going to be moderated by someone who was releasing a McCain book - would you think that was fair? I mean, she has a lot at stake financially in this election, and she's obviously a huge and public Obama fan.

At this point though, I'm just hoping for entertainment.
Old 10-01-2008, 11:50 AM   #6195
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Sure, we can argue about whether or not reading major newspaprers is necessary for higher office, but does anyone here think that the correct answer for a candidate to that question is "Many of them" and then failing to name what any of them are?

I mean, if she's afraid of letting on that she only reads the Wasilla Weekly or the Anchorage Gazette, that's fine, but why didn't she just name some newspapers off the top of her head?

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 11:53 AM   #6196
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
Sure, we can argue about whether or not reading major newspaprers is necessary for higher office, but does anyone here think that the correct answer for a candidate to that question is "Many of them" and then failing to name what any of them are?

I mean, if she's afraid of letting on that she only reads the Wasilla Weekly or the Anchorage Gazette, that's fine, but why didn't she just name some newspapers off the top of her head?

I wonder what's actually going on her head there. I'm assuming that she could at least NAME a newspaper, but who knows. I mean this as a non-faceitious question, what's going on there?

Did her people tell her to never name a specific newspaper? Was she so panicked that her answer would be spun negatively that she was paralyzed with fear? Was she worried about being associated with a "liberal" newspaper?
Old 10-01-2008, 12:02 PM   #6197
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I wonder what's actually going on her head there. I'm assuming that she could at least NAME a newspaper, but who knows. I mean this as a non-faceitious question, what's going on there?

Did her people tell her to never name a specific newspaper? Was she so panicked that her answer would be spun negatively that she was paralyzed with fear? Was she worried about being associated with a "liberal" newspaper?

good question
Old 10-01-2008, 12:10 PM   #6198
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

She just panicked. She's so nervous in these interviews that she can't think straight, so she says everything that pops into her head without filtering any of it. It reminds me a lot of unprepared guys I've seen in oral comprehensives.
Old 10-01-2008, 12:23 PM   #6199
Flasch186
Coordinator

Quote:
I don't think Palin needs much help looking bad at this debate tomorrow night, but this just adds to what might be a perfect storm for entertainment (from wiki):

"Gwen Ifill, the scheduled moderator of the October 2, 2008 vice presidential debate, wrote a book called The Breakthrough: Politics and Race in the Age of Obama, which is being released on January 20, 2009."

How is this allowed? Imagine liberals, that the 2nd debate was going to be moderated by someone who was releasing a McCain book - would you think that was fair? I mean, she has a lot at stake financially in this election, and she's obviously a huge and public Obama fan.

At this point though, I'm just hoping for entertainment.

Dont care who the moderators are from either side. AAMOF, I'd prefer if they have some people on who challenge one or both of the candidates. It could make the candidate even look better if they can answer the challenger and perhaps even spin the challenger around. I'd hope they'd have one that balances it out at one of the debates.

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Old 10-01-2008, 12:31 PM   #6200
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Don't be fooled. Conservatives are happy that Ifill is moderating the debate. Palin is bound to screw up no matter who moderates the debate, so at least this gives them the good ol "liberal media" attack angle to use as an excuse for her performance.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote