Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-14-2015, 11:20 AM   #601
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
As was I

You're right, I misread.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 12:20 PM   #602
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
How about his career then .

His ERA+ since he's been in the league:

2009: 114 (Age 20, only year he outperformed FIP)
2010: 85 (21)
2011: 87 (22)
2012: 93 (23)
2013: 96 (24)
2014: 115 (Age 25)

His career ERA+ is 97.

Now his Fielding Independent Pitching (FIP) has been consistently lower than his ERA in Detroit (aside from last year, interestingly enough), so perhaps his below average numbers are due to poor defense by the Tigers. However, his FIP is once again below his ERA early on in Boston.

It appears his career Wins Above Average (WAA) is slightly above average for his career at 0.7, but that is definitely bolstered by his 2.1 WAA last season.

He's got 10.6 Wins Above Replacement (WAR) in 6 (full) seasons - that's 1.7 WAR per season (and consider that includes last year when he had 4.0 WAR). That's fairly below average.

Now, 91 may be "solid" when compared to the rest of the pitching staff this season in Boston, but he's definitely not a solid pitcher in the average.
I think I had this debate when Porcello was traded for. How much is up for debate, but as a GB pitcher he was unquestionably hurt by Detroit's atrocious infield D, even though he's been around for 6 seasons he's still just 26 (younger than last year's RoY Jacob DeGrom f.e.) and hopefully entering his prime, and there is some indication he's been a better pitcher the last couple years (K/BB rate never above 2.43 first 4 seasons, at least 3.15 last 3.) The contract was definitely an overpay in $/y but the Red Sox love that it ends at age 30 and were willing to pay a premium for that (plus he probably would've come a lot closer to $20m/y on the open market this coming winter than people think with the drastically increasing revenues).

But mostly I think you're just overreacting to my use of the word solid. The hope is that some of last year's improved results were a sustainable improvement from a developing pitcher (who, again, was 25 then and theoretically shouldn't even be in his prime yet), but even if he just pitches 180+ innings at a league average ERA that's "solid" in my book. There were a total of 58 qualifying starters with an ERA+ >100 last year, a.k.a. 2 per team.

Last edited by BishopMVP : 05-14-2015 at 12:23 PM.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 12:30 PM   #603
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover View Post
Free Brian Johnson.
I agree I think he's jumped Owens in the pecking order and I'd take a whole lot of people over Masterson at this point (agree with giving Wright first shot), but Johnson's not exactly been held down like a Youkilis was. The guy was in A 2 years ago, had a (very good) AA season last year, and less than 30 AAA IP. Plus he's still got a AAA teammate with markedly better numbers and better scouting reports/a higher ceiling in Eduardo Rodriguez who's already on the 40 man roster.

I definitely wouldn't mind a fake injury to Kelly or Mikey so we can start getting a look at the young guys before deciding whether to trade for a good starter, and who to include in that trade.

Last edited by BishopMVP : 05-14-2015 at 12:32 PM.
Old 05-14-2015, 12:54 PM   #604
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

I realize he just tweaked his ankle, which could delay things, but thoughts from Boston fans on Rusney Castillo?

I have heard in a couple places he could be up with the team by next week (although this might just be some observers fervent desires). It looks like he is doing okay at Pawtucket, but he hasn't shown much power so far.

Do you guys think he will be coming up and starting soon, and does he seem to be worth picking up in fantasy leagues?

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 05-14-2015, 01:21 PM   #605
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
I realize he just tweaked his ankle, which could delay things, but thoughts from Boston fans on Rusney Castillo?

I have heard in a couple places he could be up with the team by next week (although this might just be some observers fervent desires). It looks like he is doing okay at Pawtucket, but he hasn't shown much power so far.

Do you guys think he will be coming up and starting soon, and does he seem to be worth picking up in fantasy leagues?
Keeper league yes, 2015 league idk. The Red Sox seem a lot less eager to give up on Shane Victorino than the masses are, so I just don't know if he'll be more than a platoon guy until an injury to Hanley/Betts/Victorino occurs (of course, given Hanley and Vic's history, that's like a 10% chance any given day. Although, Castillo's assortment of small injuries is starting to get worrisome in its own right. The ankle sounded precautionary, but he might very well have too big a physique for his frame and the muscle pulls worry me.)

I think the power from Castillo will be fine, and the plate discipline has been surprisingly good. Best guess maybe a .350 OBP/.400 SLG with 20-25 SB's if given a full season. But again, playing time is an issue and I'm not sure he'll be more than just the strong side of a platoon when he first comes up.

Last edited by BishopMVP : 05-14-2015 at 01:22 PM.
Old 05-14-2015, 01:42 PM   #606
Grover
Pro Starter

Quote:

Honestly, I haven't heard much about him on local radio or in print. They've still got that logjam in the OF with Betts/Ramirez/Victorino/Nava... they've demoted Craig down to Pawtucket just so he can get ABs.

FOFC Greatest Band Draft Runner Up
FOFC Movie Remake Draft Winner
FOFC Movie Comedy Draft Winner
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 01:46 PM   #607
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
But mostly I think you're just overreacting to my use of the word solid. The hope is that some of last year's improved results were a sustainable improvement from a developing pitcher (who, again, was 25 then and theoretically shouldn't even be in his prime yet), but even if he just pitches 180+ innings at a league average ERA that's "solid" in my book. There were a total of 58 qualifying starters with an ERA+ >100 last year, a.k.a. 2 per team.

Perhaps, but I think of a solid starter as more than just league average, personally (for example a Fangraphs article today just referred to Lance Lynn as 'solid'). The Mets have had plenty of those league average inning eaters lately (Dillion Gee, Jon Niese - though Niese has started this year much better than the rest of his career) and I've pined for more solid starters.
Old 05-14-2015, 06:14 PM   #608
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Honestly, I haven't heard much about him on local radio or in print. They've still got that logjam in the OF with Betts/Ramirez/Victorino/Nava... they've demoted Craig down to Pawtucket just so he can get ABs.

Once Craig got away from the cardinals laboratory he started to go downhill.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 06:18 PM   #609
Grover
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Once Craig got away from the cardinals laboratory he started to go downhill.

Heh.

Old 05-14-2015, 06:19 PM   #610
Grover
Pro Starter

That trade certainly did not work out as well as Red Sox Nation thought it was going to. Craig and Kelly have both been trash.

Old 05-15-2015, 12:16 AM   #611
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Perhaps, but I think of a solid starter as more than just league average, personally (for example a Fangraphs article today just referred to Lance Lynn as 'solid'). The Mets have had plenty of those league average inning eaters lately (Dillion Gee, Jon Niese - though Niese has started this year much better than the rest of his career) and I've pined for more solid starters.
Elsewhere I've also seen huge debates over the word Ace. Are there 30 "Aces" out there, or really only 10-12 at a given time? Likewise, Porcello is definitely among the top 90 starters and probably around #60... So he's solidly a borderline 2/3 starter once you factor in his durability.

Was there really a contingent (well, outside of Yawkey Way) that liked that Lackey trade? I think everyone assumed Craig was hurt and would bounce back (and, yeesh, he HAS to bounce back a little) but everything I remember was people being disappointed we didn't get a Wacha/Martinez or at least a Piscotty if we were giving up that year of Lackey at 500k.

Last edited by BishopMVP : 05-15-2015 at 12:17 AM.
Old 05-15-2015, 11:29 PM   #612
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:

2 HR and a 2B tonight... Told ya the power is fine Shane Victorino actually looking good at the plate though, so he's still an injury away. (And of course, Allen Craig is OPS'ing 1.000 and Jackie Bradley .857, so take all AAA stats with a grain of salt.)
Old 05-17-2015, 01:10 PM   #613
kingfc22
Head Coach

Can the Giants face the Reds everyday? Fun to actually turn a game on and see they are up big 3 days in a row.
Old 05-18-2015, 08:23 AM   #614
Grover
Pro Starter

Old 05-18-2015, 12:43 PM   #615
BillJasper
Pro Starter

GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. | HardballTalk

What the hell are they smoking in South Florida?!?
Old 05-18-2015, 02:36 PM   #616
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillJasper View Post

I only got to see the team president/CEO for one episode of Survivor (since he was the first one voted out), but what I saw of him didn't exactly show me he was a good or decisive leader in any way.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 03:14 PM   #617
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
I only got to see the team president/CEO for one episode of Survivor (since he was the first one voted out), but what I saw of him didn't exactly show me he was a good or decisive leader in any way.

You think?

Also, the Marlins are on manager #8 over the last six seasons.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 03:16 PM   #618
BillJasper
Pro Starter

They were likely passing around a crack pipe when said epiphany happened.
Old 05-18-2015, 07:34 PM   #619
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Lackey is pitching great tonight.. but Harvey.. good grief he has not missed a beat since tommy john surgery.. 97 mph fb to go along with the rest of his pitches?

Last edited by MizzouRah : 05-18-2015 at 07:34 PM.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 07:45 PM   #620
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Is it like, a law that the Oakland As must have a goofy guy with glasses at all times?
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 07:45 PM   #621
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
Lackey is pitching great tonight.. but Harvey.. good grief he has not missed a beat since tommy john surgery.. 97 mph fb to go along with the rest of his pitches?

He is filthy. I just wish they could score some more runs for him.
Old 05-19-2015, 11:56 AM   #622
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
He is filthy. I just wish they could score some more runs for him.

Yeah he doesn't get much run support. One of the best pitchers in the game from what I just watched last night.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 09:35 PM   #623
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Fun to watch the Cueto/Ventura matchup tonight. Both pitchers actually pitched well. Just a couple more clutch hits from the Royals tonight.
Old 05-19-2015, 09:55 PM   #624
cuervo72
Head Coach

Ok, I'm sold. I think this is the Nats' year.
Old 05-21-2015, 06:57 AM   #625
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I have no love for Bryce Harper, but that was total BS last night. And I may have had him on most of my DFS teams
Old 05-21-2015, 07:47 AM   #626
Grover
Pro Starter

Quote:
I have no love for Bryce Harper, but that was total BS last night. And I may have had him on most of my DFS teams

Just ridiculous. His reputation is starting to precede him.

Old 05-21-2015, 07:57 AM   #627
MrBug708
Head Coach

Some umpires are just obnoxious
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 08:31 AM   #628
Grover
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
Some umpires are just obnoxious

That particular ump didn't throw out a single player last year

Old 05-21-2015, 08:52 AM   #629
Logan
Head Coach

The ump was definitely looking for a fight. That being said, when the ump is telling you to get back in the box, and you make a big show about pointing at where he wants you, and then you further the show by being so clear about just sticking your toe in the box, your night is going to be over.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 08:58 AM   #630
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

His line about 40K people not coming to watch the ump, while arrogant, is spot on.
Old 05-21-2015, 09:38 AM   #631
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Wow, that's obnoxious. The penalty is a called strike, right? Not an ejection.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 10:11 AM   #632
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
The ump was definitely looking for a fight. That being said, when the ump is telling you to get back in the box, and you make a big show about pointing at where he wants you, and then you further the show by being so clear about just sticking your toe in the box, your night is going to be over.

This
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 11:45 AM   #633
AENeuman
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post

Agree. But an umpire telling a batter to get in the box while their mask is off (to yell at the manager) is a clown act.

I prefer Brad Pitt and Morgan Freedman arguing about the box.
AENeuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 02:15 PM   #634
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

DeGrom with his best start of the season gives the Mets exactly what they need. 8 innings, one hit, a first inning single, and 11 Ks. Terry Collins pulls him after 8 leaving it up to Familia. If he blows it Collins is going to get roasted. DeGrom is at 104 pitches.

Should leave him in IMO.
Old 05-21-2015, 02:38 PM   #635
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Mets score 3 in the bottom of the 8th to make it far less dramatic. thrilled with a split against St. Louis.

When DeGrom is on he is the best pitcher in baseball, totally unhittable.
Old 05-21-2015, 04:08 PM   #636
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Mets score 3 in the bottom of the 8th to make it far less dramatic. thrilled with a split against St. Louis.

When DeGrom is on he is the best pitcher in baseball, totally unhittable.

The way you describe him makes me think he is a Royal
Old 05-21-2015, 04:16 PM   #637
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

LOL!
Old 05-21-2015, 04:17 PM   #638
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
The way you describe him makes me think he is a Royal

He hasn't been ejected this year.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 05:42 PM   #639
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Not only did Bumgarner get the win in the showdown with Kershaw, he got the lone run the Giants needed when he homered off of him.
Old 05-21-2015, 05:46 PM   #640
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
Not only did Bumgarner get the win in the showdown with Kershaw, he got the lone run the Giants needed when he homered off of him.

Happened last year when Kershaw beat him 1-0 with a solo shot.

Dodgers can'tbeat the Giants right now at all. 0-6 in SF
Old 05-21-2015, 06:08 PM   #641
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Wow, that's obnoxious. The penalty is a called strike, right? Not an ejection.

Correct.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 06:38 PM   #642
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:

And if you haven't seen the home run, it's worth queueing it up on MLB.com. An absolute no-doubter off the bat. I'm just sad that eventually pitchers are going to realize that Bumgarner sits dead read on the first pitch (and nearly every other pitch, honestly) and he can actually hit a fastball really well.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 08:39 PM   #643
kingfc22
Head Coach

Quote:
Happened last year when Kershaw beat him 1-0 with a solo shot.

Dodgers can'tbeat the Giants right now at all. 0-6 in SF

What's the current time table for Puig's return?
Old 05-22-2015, 03:07 PM   #644
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Garrett Richards returns to Fenway tonight. First time since his injury there last August.

Old 05-22-2015, 03:11 PM   #645
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Fired up for the big weekend series between what most consider the two best teams in baseball. Wish I was going to a game, but should be a blast to watch.
Old 05-22-2015, 03:12 PM   #646
cartman
Death Herald

Yeah, the Astros/Tigers series should be a good one to watch
Old 05-22-2015, 05:11 PM   #647
Suicane75
Coordinator

Quote:
This

The way I saw it was that he wasn't showing him up, he was trying to show him where he was standing when the ump started heading towards the Nats dugout.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 08:12 PM   #648
Grover
Pro Starter

Kendrys Morales you beautiful bastard.

2/2, 2HR, 2R, 5RBI.

Old 05-22-2015, 11:46 PM   #649
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Kendrys Morales you beautiful bastard.

2/2, 2HR, 2R, 5RBI.

He's been exactly what this team needed. Consistent hitting machine with HR power. Basically every complaint that people had with Billy Butler has been answered by Kendrys Morales.
Old 05-23-2015, 10:28 AM   #650
rowech
Pro Starter

Rumor is that Cueto is no longer starting tomorrow. Seems early to be traded but maybe not.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote