Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-09-2014, 07:36 AM   #601
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post
Thrilled with the Bengals Dennard pick. I heard at least one analyst saying they would've gone Roby... I think Dennard has the highest floor if not the highest ceiling. Was rooting from around #12 pick on that he would keep falling... and he did.

You should be.. I wanted him at #13
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 07:56 AM   #602
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II View Post
The front office gets a pass from me because of how well they've drafted. Seems like they probably could have gotten him in the second though, so I'm not so sure about where they got him. Undersized and with potential attitude/work ethic problems? Meh.

In reading some more on him, I've come around a bit. Hadn't realized he covered the slot in college and that was a major need. I had him as a guy I thought they might go after with one of those 3rds, but what the hell do I know?
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 08:04 AM   #603
Logan
Head Coach

For more "what the hell do I know?", I'd be really surprised if the Niners don't use the #94 to move up from #56 today. They also have #61, #77, and #100 (comp so can't be moved).
Old 05-09-2014, 08:17 AM   #604
Ronnie Dobbs3
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
Aah, Ras-I Dowling. Crossed with Jermaine Cunningham.

Or Gronkowski. Or Curtis Martin. Easy to pick the risks that failed.

This is a home run swing. Let's see if they make contact.
Ronnie Dobbs3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 08:24 AM   #605
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
Cleveland almost seems like the perfect place for Johnny Football to end up. He has got strong weapons at TE and WR already in place. The expectations arent going to be that high immediately so he can make some mistakes. The coach may be willing to let him play more of his playground style than he might get in a different organization.

As a Vikings fan, I am not overly exciting about Barr(basically because I have no idea on what position he will even play). I was happy to sneak in and get Bridgewater however.

I always thought Barr would be a weakside LB in the 4-3 defense which the Vikings already have Greenway. Do they really think he can play DE at his size? Any UCLA fans that can help figure this out?

He could play the OLB in the 4-3, but he'll be more of a pure speed rusher at DE in the 4-3. Surprised a 4-3 team took him tbh. He'll need some time to get more comfortable in that system.

http://espn.go.com/blog/minnesota-vi...odel-vikings-d

Last edited by MrBug708 : 05-09-2014 at 08:26 AM.
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 08:27 AM   #606
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

All I know is I can't wait to see all the three TE formations the Lions are going to use this year.
Old 05-09-2014, 08:39 AM   #607
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs3 View Post
Or Gronkowski. Or Curtis Martin. Easy to pick the risks that failed.

This is a home run swing. Let's see if they make contact.

I would prefer the next franchise QB, but sure if his legs don't fall off he could be great.
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 08:43 AM   #608
SteveMax58
College Starter

Not too happy with the Giants pick. Was really hoping for Donald or Martin there and seems like we got a poor man's Nicks.

Just feels like we got a 2nd rd talent at #12 in a draft that will easily have 2-3 WRs that will work well enough. And FFS why do we keep getting WRs that are 6'0" tall standing on a 2x4 to put with Eli who is notoriously a little inaccurate (high) with a lot of his throws? Its not like we got Mike Evans @ #12, we got a 5'11" WR who does not have Nicks' hands (albeit he may be a step quicker).

Hoping for the best but I really think we reached for this guy here. I admit I hate picking WRs in the 1st rd anyway, and am firmly in the camp that they arent worth it unless you believe they are Calvin Johnson freakishly talented, but this isn't going to make us better than the best WR thats still around at 2.12 imho. But I am pretty sure the Oline or Dline prospects will not be as talented as Martin or Donald.
SteveMax58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 08:50 AM   #609
MrBug708
Head Coach

Whatever happened to Sefarin-Jenkins, the TE?
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 08:52 AM   #610
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
All I know is I can't wait to see all the three TE formations the Lions are going to use this year.

I didn't really like the Ebron pick. I think I would have preferred the Lions take almost any of the next 7-8 players drafted over him.

This is just history repeating itself. Several years ago it was all about "getting weapons" for Joey Blueskies and creating mismatches. Now it's all "getting weapons" for Stafford and creating mismatches.

In the off-season the Lions invested a good portion of money in helping the passing game by signing Golden Tate and re-signing Pettigrew.

They continue to do nothing to address the defense. There are serious questions in defensive backfield, almost zero depth at defensive end and not much depth at LB either. Not even to mention the fact that, as of now, the Lions have no defensive tackles of note signed beyond this year.

This pick and the way the Lions had Barry Sanders race to the podium before the clock barely started, just smacks of the arrogance that's plagued this team's front office. Mayhew really thinks he's the smartest guy in the room. History has proven otherwise.

As for three tight end sets. I like Dancing Joe Fauria. I like him a lot, but, at least for now, he's incredibly one dimensional. It's a nice dimension - scoring touchdowns - but he's pretty limited. Pettigrew got hurt late last year and Fauria was thrust into a larger role and played very, very poorly.

If the Lions thought they needed more "weapons" for Stafford, they could have waited. The draft is very deep at WR. There have already been 9 DBs taken. At this point, if they are looking for secondary help either they will likely be reaching or scraping the bottom of the barrel. The wiser choice would have been to go defense first and then look for offensive help.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).

Last edited by Honolulu_Blue : 05-09-2014 at 08:54 AM.
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 09:04 AM   #611
Ronnie Dobbs3
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
Whatever happened to Sefarin-Jenkins, the TE?

He's been sliding down mocks the past month or so, most at this point had him a mid-2nd round pick. Character concerns.
Old 05-09-2014, 09:08 AM   #612
Logan
Head Coach

Something I don't find surprising at all is that the analysis of these draft picks hasn't changed to reflect how the draft is actually structured these days. I've already read so many people criticizing teams for failing to address needs...there has been one round! A few years ago, the next day articles would be recapping three rounds and possibly 4 or 5 picks for some teams. As crazy as it is to grade drafts instantly, at least you're painting a better picture when taking into account a team's strategy for the most important picks of the weekend. I'm sure there will be plenty of recap articles coming out on Monday morning but those will probably get 25% of the hits that everything gets today.

(I realize I'm posting this after HB said something similar about his own team, but I understand his point about grabbing the #2 player at a position of great need vs the #12 or so guy you could be grabbing in the 2nd).
Old 05-09-2014, 09:10 AM   #613
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Thrilled with the Bengals Dennard pick. I heard at least one analyst saying they would've gone Roby... I think Dennard has the highest floor if not the highest ceiling. Was rooting from around #12 pick on that he would keep falling... and he did.

As long as Guenther doesn't make a lot of changes, and I don't expect he will, he's a good fit for what the Bengals do. He plays press man well and tackles runners. Give him a year to play nickel and learn from Hall and Newman and he'll be a solid starter for a decade.
Old 05-09-2014, 09:32 AM   #614
bronconick
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
I didn't really like the Ebron pick. I think I would have preferred the Lions take almost any of the next 7-8 players drafted over him.

This is just history repeating itself. Several years ago it was all about "getting weapons" for Joey Blueskies and creating mismatches. Now it's all "getting weapons" for Stafford and creating mismatches.

In the off-season the Lions invested a good portion of money in helping the passing game by signing Golden Tate and re-signing Pettigrew.

They continue to do nothing to address the defense. There are serious questions in defensive backfield, almost zero depth at defensive end and not much depth at LB either. Not even to mention the fact that, as of now, the Lions have no defensive tackles of note signed beyond this year.

This pick and the way the Lions had Barry Sanders race to the podium before the clock barely started, just smacks of the arrogance that's plagued this team's front office. Mayhew really thinks he's the smartest guy in the room. History has proven otherwise.

As for three tight end sets. I like Dancing Joe Fauria. I like him a lot, but, at least for now, he's incredibly one dimensional. It's a nice dimension - scoring touchdowns - but he's pretty limited. Pettigrew got hurt late last year and Fauria was thrust into a larger role and played very, very poorly.

If the Lions thought they needed more "weapons" for Stafford, they could have waited. The draft is very deep at WR. There have already been 9 DBs taken. At this point, if they are looking for secondary help either they will likely be reaching or scraping the bottom of the barrel. The wiser choice would have been to go defense first and then look for offensive help.

Found his new name for this offense. Droptimus Prime
bronconick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 09:42 AM   #615
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

i went to bed early, im glad the Vikes got Bridgewater. and for only a 2nd and 4th. when i first heard the deal i was terrified they gave up a future 1st to move up to 32
Old 05-09-2014, 09:47 AM   #616
mrtourette
High School JV

Ebron pick did seem a bit silly. Not really needed and if this was a 'trust your board' moment then someone needs to be shot for having him as the 10th best player in the draft. Can't remember who said it, possibly Mayock, but with Johnson, Tate and Bush not to mention the other TEs how many targets and touches is Ebron realistically going to see? Seems a high pick for a player that isn't really needed and may not see that much action.

Last edited by mrtourette : 05-09-2014 at 09:47 AM.
mrtourette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 09:54 AM   #617
BillJasper
Pro Starter

I like the Ju'wuan James pick for Miami, though they might have picked him a little high. Four-year starter at Tennessee, he should slide immediately into the RT spot.
Old 05-09-2014, 10:02 AM   #618
BillJasper
Pro Starter

I do wonder sometimes if the Draft writers actually think about what they're writing:

Miami Dolphins select Ja'Wuan James No. 19 overall in the 2014 NFL draft | Audibles - SI.com

Quote:
Almost certainly will have to open his career as a RT, which is where he played throughout college. A move to left tackle will take some time.

Who has said anything about moving this guy to LT? They signed Branden Albert to a 5 year/$47 million dollar deal to play LT. I'm hoping the thought of moving James to LT doesn't happen for a solid three years, if ever.

Last edited by BillJasper : 05-09-2014 at 10:02 AM.
BillJasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 10:05 AM   #619
Ronnie Dobbs3
High School Varsity

I'm thinking it's because RT are generally not picked in the 1st, there's always a supposed expectation that the player will take the left side eventually.
Old 05-09-2014, 10:07 AM   #620
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
I'm thinking it's because RT are generally not picked in the 1st, there's always a supposed expectation that the player will take the left side eventually.

But expectation should give way to common sense. I doubt Miami has any intention of James ever being anything other than a RT.
Old 05-09-2014, 10:09 AM   #621
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Detroit Lions select Eric Ebron with 10th pick in the 2014 NFL draft | Audibles - SI.com

And they give Detroit a 'B' for drafting Eric Ebron!
Old 05-09-2014, 10:16 AM   #622
SteveMax58
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillJasper View Post
But expectation should give way to common sense. I doubt Miami has any intention of James ever being anything other than a RT.
Yeah the expectation is wrong-minded imo.

Getting a legitimate starter for years in the 1st rd is what you should reasonably expect. Yes it is more difficult to find certain positions (like LT), so one should not pass on that position if it needs one, but that isn't the same as always assuming an OT taken in the 1st rd should be a LT.
Old 05-09-2014, 10:18 AM   #623
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:

Hrmm... Dropped 12% of the passes thrown his way last year? Oh dear...

There were numerous articles a few weeks (months?) ago about how the Lions valued receivers with "excellent hands" above all. (Unlike other teams, who don't really care if their wide outs can catch.) Pettigrew already drops plenty of passes. Between Stafford's accuracy issues and the number of times the Lions throw the ball, they already have big issues with drops. This won't help.

The Lions keep talking about how they will use Ebron like Jimmy Graham - because the Saints former QB coach is now the Lions OC. Ebron doesn't really look like Graham to me. He's not nearly as tall and doesn't seem to have the same leaping ability/body control that makes Graham so effective. Beyond being athletic tight ends, they seem like pretty different players.

Hopefully, in a few years I can dig up these posts, quote them, and then mock "May 9th. 2014 H_B" mercilessly!
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 10:20 AM   #624
Ronnie Dobbs3
High School Varsity

Quote:

Right, if you get a guy who is your RT for eight years or so that's an excellent draft pick.
Old 05-09-2014, 10:41 AM   #625
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

Quote:

Me too, another great start for the Bengals drafting. I like Dennard a shit ton more than I liked the Kirkpatrick pick a couple years back.

FUCK EA
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 10:50 AM   #626
Blackadar
Retired

Breakdown on Ryan Shazier makes sense for the Steelers:

The Steelers’ defense was simply average last year and that’s not acceptable for a Pittsburgh squad. They gave up too many long passes and, as a result, most of us thought the ‘Burgh should go with a CB in round 1. I've heard some moaning and groaning about drafting “yet” another ILB. Here’s why it makes sense:

The problem with the Steelers’ pass defense originated in the run defense. The old adage was to take away the run and make them pass. They couldn’t do that last year. The Steelers were uncharacteristically 21st in run defense in 2013 and gave up 4.3 YPC – also 21st. The the run defense through the middle of the line tended to be OK – in fact, runs up the middle only averaged about 2.5 YPC. Where the Steelers got continually gouged was OT and outside runs. The problem was speed. Ryan Clark and Vince Williams tried their best, but both were too slow to cut off the outside runs. Sharknado was too young to really understand the defense and so his impact was limited. This eventually forced Troy up towards the LOS in order to try to stop the run, leaving our CBs on islands. With Clark no longer able to cover over the top on both sides of the field, the Steelers gave up a number of long passes as well. Not to mention that the CBs had to watch the run for a split second longer to ensure it wasn’t an outside run, which also contributed to getting beat deep. It was a damned if you do, damned if you don’t situation.

Now look at the changes in the defense for 2014:

Mike Mitchell takes over for Ryan Clark. He is an incredible athlete – fast, rangy and can hit like a truck. He has the range and the tackling ability to guard against that OT run. He can also cover over the top down the middle and protect both sidelines. He’s that fast. His man coverage skills aren’t great, but that’s not why he’s here. He’s the safety net that frees up Troy again.

Shazier, who probably won’t start much this year because rookies have difficulty with the defense, will eventually line up beside Timmons. This gives the Steelers ILBs who can range from sideline to sideline as well as anyone in the league. This allows Jones and Woirlds to pinch the tackles on run plays without fear of giving up the big run because the guys behind them can catch most anyone. Both Timmons and Shazier can cover TEs one on one and RBs out of the backfield. This eases the burden on Mitchell for play recognition, which is not his strong suit.

Shamarko Thomas is the heir-apparent for Troy. Remember this guys’ combine numbers? 4.42, 40.5 vertical, 133 broad jump, 28 reps @ 225? Does that sound just like the numbers of the guy we drafted yesterday (4.38, 42, 130, 25)? Sharknado becomes almost interchangeable with Shazier, which will give offensive coordinators fits.

Essentially, these 5 guys – Shazier, Timmons, Thomas, Troy and Mitchell – will take away everything inside the hash marks and most of everything outside of it with their physical abilities. The Steelers never had that kind of speed on the field. The two ILBs and two Safeties with that kind of range create a huge rectangular “no-man’s land” throughout the center of the field. This allows the CBs to concentrate on their pass coverage, they can go back to using the sideline as a helper and they know they’ll have help over the top. In short, this kind of speed stops the OT runs and helps hide deficiencies in the CBs. It also frees up our two OLBs – Woirlds and Jones – to pin their ears back and go after the QBs a little more.

Now the Steelers still need CBs and I expect that they’ll draft two of them this year. But there’s more than one way to take away the passing game. You can do it with great CBs. You can do it with a great pass rush. And you can do it by having guys take away more of the field than most teams can. The Steelers now have the latter. Coach Dad goes from “old and slow” to probably the fastest middle defense in the league – think he’s not drooling over these guys while coming up with new schemes this morning?
Blackadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 10:52 AM   #627
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Like the Alabama safety for GB. Our safeties were putrid last season (0 combined picks and about 100 missed tackles). In the second round, I'm hoping they can land an ILB (Boreland from Wisc would be a nice fit) or maybe get a TE or C (esp Martin from USC) if they slip.
Old 05-09-2014, 10:55 AM   #628
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:

Seems like this mindset has changed a bit in the last couple years. Teams are heavily investing in the pass rush and finding different ways to bring pressure, guys get moved all over the line, switching sides, moving in and out...it's about 95% as important to have a great RT. If you hope to get by with an adequate RT, teams will exploit that.
Old 05-09-2014, 11:30 AM   #629
Ronnie Dobbs3
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desnudo View Post
I would prefer the next franchise QB, but sure if his legs don't fall off he could be great.

Keep your eye on Tom Savage tonight.
Old 05-09-2014, 11:34 AM   #630
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackadar View Post
Breakdown on Ryan Shazier makes sense for the Steelers:

The Steelers’ defense was simply average last year and that’s not acceptable for a Pittsburgh squad. They gave up too many long passes and, as a result, most of us thought the ‘Burgh should go with a CB in round 1. I've heard some moaning and groaning about drafting “yet” another ILB. Here’s why it makes sense:

The problem with the Steelers’ pass defense originated in the run defense. The old adage was to take away the run and make them pass. They couldn’t do that last year. The Steelers were uncharacteristically 21st in run defense in 2013 and gave up 4.3 YPC – also 21st. The the run defense through the middle of the line tended to be OK – in fact, runs up the middle only averaged about 2.5 YPC. Where the Steelers got continually gouged was OT and outside runs. The problem was speed. Ryan Clark and Vince Williams tried their best, but both were too slow to cut off the outside runs. Sharknado was too young to really understand the defense and so his impact was limited. This eventually forced Troy up towards the LOS in order to try to stop the run, leaving our CBs on islands. With Clark no longer able to cover over the top on both sides of the field, the Steelers gave up a number of long passes as well. Not to mention that the CBs had to watch the run for a split second longer to ensure it wasn’t an outside run, which also contributed to getting beat deep. It was a damned if you do, damned if you don’t situation.

Now look at the changes in the defense for 2014:

Mike Mitchell takes over for Ryan Clark. He is an incredible athlete – fast, rangy and can hit like a truck. He has the range and the tackling ability to guard against that OT run. He can also cover over the top down the middle and protect both sidelines. He’s that fast. His man coverage skills aren’t great, but that’s not why he’s here. He’s the safety net that frees up Troy again.

Shazier, who probably won’t start much this year because rookies have difficulty with the defense, will eventually line up beside Timmons. This gives the Steelers ILBs who can range from sideline to sideline as well as anyone in the league. This allows Jones and Woirlds to pinch the tackles on run plays without fear of giving up the big run because the guys behind them can catch most anyone. Both Timmons and Shazier can cover TEs one on one and RBs out of the backfield. This eases the burden on Mitchell for play recognition, which is not his strong suit.

Shamarko Thomas is the heir-apparent for Troy. Remember this guys’ combine numbers? 4.42, 40.5 vertical, 133 broad jump, 28 reps @ 225? Does that sound just like the numbers of the guy we drafted yesterday (4.38, 42, 130, 25)? Sharknado becomes almost interchangeable with Shazier, which will give offensive coordinators fits.

Essentially, these 5 guys – Shazier, Timmons, Thomas, Troy and Mitchell – will take away everything inside the hash marks and most of everything outside of it with their physical abilities. The Steelers never had that kind of speed on the field. The two ILBs and two Safeties with that kind of range create a huge rectangular “no-man’s land” throughout the center of the field. This allows the CBs to concentrate on their pass coverage, they can go back to using the sideline as a helper and they know they’ll have help over the top. In short, this kind of speed stops the OT runs and helps hide deficiencies in the CBs. It also frees up our two OLBs – Woirlds and Jones – to pin their ears back and go after the QBs a little more.

Now the Steelers still need CBs and I expect that they’ll draft two of them this year. But there’s more than one way to take away the passing game. You can do it with great CBs. You can do it with a great pass rush. And you can do it by having guys take away more of the field than most teams can. The Steelers now have the latter. Coach Dad goes from “old and slow” to probably the fastest middle defense in the league – think he’s not drooling over these guys while coming up with new schemes this morning?

The bolded is a big piece. As well as, Mitchell playing deep middle better than Clark last year + the fact Troy no longer will have to line up at the pseudo-LB spot in the sub packages is already an improvement.
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 11:41 AM   #631
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:

well he did start his career at Rutgers, so I think it is a law or something he has to be on the Pats.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 11:45 AM   #632
bhlloy
Coordinator

Thing is I'm not sure Shazier is a great pick as an ILB in a 3-4, because he has a reputation for being very soft and not being able to get off blocks. That doesn't sound like a great thing in a scheme where you're going to see a lot of blockers and there is a weakness with stopping the run to begin with.

Reminds me of another exceptionally fast LB Ernie Sims who never amounted to too much but hung around the NFL for quite a while.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 11:58 AM   #633
Butter
Coordinator

It's hard to judge Shazier on last year, because he played on a historically bad Ohio State defense.
Old 05-09-2014, 12:01 PM   #634
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:

Train your eyes to remain on the pocket during any oncoming rush and you won't miss him.
Old 05-09-2014, 12:12 PM   #635
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Vikings double checked on Teddy Bridgewater's heart condition before drafting him | Shutdown Corner - Yahoo Sports
Old 05-09-2014, 12:20 PM   #636
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Any Falcons draft that didn't involve moving up to get Clownass has already been a success.
Old 05-09-2014, 12:51 PM   #637
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Any Falcons draft that didn't involve moving up to get Clownass has already been a success.

Nor did they draft a third tight end!

Old 05-09-2014, 01:06 PM   #638
Blackadar
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
Thing is I'm not sure Shazier is a great pick as an ILB in a 3-4, because he has a reputation for being very soft and not being able to get off blocks. That doesn't sound like a great thing in a scheme where you're going to see a lot of blockers and there is a weakness with stopping the run to begin with.

Reminds me of another exceptionally fast LB Ernie Sims who never amounted to too much but hung around the NFL for quite a while.

With all due respect, that's not the system the Steelers play. The ILBs are not the big guys. The DEs tend to pinch in on running downs to occupy blockers while the LBs are freed up to make the tackles. Timmons has played the buck before and he's only 245 lbs. If anything, the OLBs are the bigger guys (Woodley was 256 coming out of college and James Harrison routinely played at 260. The days of a Levon Kirkland (280+ lbs) roaming at ILB aren't part of the normal Steelers' 3-4 scheme anymore.

Last edited by Blackadar : 05-09-2014 at 01:07 PM.
Blackadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 01:17 PM   #639
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Leaked Internal Scouting Report: The Patriots Do Not Like Johnny Manziel

Assuming it's legit, the Patriot's scouting report on Manziel's personality is amusing.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 01:25 PM   #640
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Quote:

Plus, to a large extent, offenses will need to pick their poison, do you block Timmons or Shazier. That frees someone who can make plays between the hashes.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 01:26 PM   #641
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post
Leaked Internal Scouting Report: The Patriots Do Not Like Johnny Manziel

Assuming it's legit, the Patriot's scouting report on Manziel's personality is amusing.

Quote:
Has been like this since Day 1, has never gone to class, goes to beat of own drum, but has ultimate confidence. Loves the spotlight, football is his release, big games don't scare him.

Exactly why I would have drafted him. He may be a huge pain in the ass, but he's a fierce competitor. I think Cleveland got a steal at #22.
Old 05-09-2014, 01:34 PM   #642
chadritt
High School Varsity

Quote:
Has an avg. work ethic, came to 4 of 32 summer '13 workouts, and quit going to in-season workouts late in '12. Doesn't study the game, said to know about 60% of the offense in '12, never watches film...Will never take football seriously enough for our coaching staff, he'll hate meetings, will have to drag him to work out, etc. The definition of the word maintenance.

Those certainly explain a bit of the fall...
chadritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 01:35 PM   #643
vex
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadritt View Post
Those certainly explain a bit of the fall...

Yep
vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 01:46 PM   #644
Ronnie Dobbs3
High School Varsity

Looks really fake.
Old 05-09-2014, 02:05 PM   #645
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Looks really fake.

My reaction as well.

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 02:52 PM   #646
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhammer View Post
Plus, to a large extent, offenses will need to pick their poison, do you block Timmons or Shazier. That frees someone who can make plays between the hashes.

That's assuming that Shazier even gets on the field for 2 or 3 years. This defense is hard for everyone to understand except for opposing offensive coordinators.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 03:04 PM   #647
bhlloy
Coordinator

Niners get Stevie Johnson for a 4th/conditional 3rd next year. Pretty cheap although he's vastly overpaid and they still have too many picks this year than they know what to do with.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 03:15 PM   #648
SteveMax58
College Starter

Quote:
Niners get Stevie Johnson for a 4th/conditional 3rd next year. Pretty cheap although he's vastly overpaid and they still have too many picks this year than they know what to do with.
Wow, that could be a really huge pickup there. At least if you see this like a Randy Moss to NE potential.
Old 05-09-2014, 03:19 PM   #649
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMax58 View Post
Wow, that could be a really huge pickup there. At least if you see this like a Randy Moss to NE potential.

I'd be surprised. Still a running team (think they were last in pass attempts last year) and there's a lot of mouths to feed there. A good addition for what he'll bring, I just don't think his stats will be too special.

Guessing the condition is based on him being on the roster at a certain point this year, since there's no guaranteed money on his deal and they can cut him after the season if things don't go well.

Niners probably also think there's a decent chance, failing a trade up, that they move one of tonight's 3rds for something like a 4th this year/4th next year to make up for this pick.
Old 05-09-2014, 03:31 PM   #650
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:

Didn't go to Rutgers or an SEC school so unlikely.
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote