Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-18-2010, 07:25 PM   #601
miami_fan
Coordinator

C'mon Washington!!!!!
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 07:26 PM   #602
miami_fan
Coordinator

YES YES YES!!!!!!!!!
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 07:26 PM   #603
Shkspr
College Benchwarmer

Given the way the Wizards have handled the draft lottery experience over the years, I believe it's safe to call John Wall an NBA bust.
Shkspr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 07:27 PM   #604
RainMaker
General Manager

Thank God New Jersey didn't get it. Bulls chances keep going up for Lebron.

Glad to see Washington get it. That franchise deserves some good news and it will be nice to see a star in that city.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 07:29 PM   #605
Shkspr
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
I don't understand the NBA draft and how they know for instance that because one team above them dropped that Philly and Washington advanced into the top 3?? It's always fucking confusing to me.

DT, they pull three teams out of the hopper, and the others go 4-14 in reverse order of finish. Since neither Philly or Washington were in the procession of reverse order of finish, they by definition had to be two of the three teams in the top 3.
Shkspr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 07:29 PM   #606
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

The first three picks go to teams in the East. Hopefully those teams make some good picks and the conferences become more balanced, even if only slightly.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 07:34 PM   #607
RainMaker
General Manager

I'm also hoping they go back to the system where everyone gets an equal shot at the top pick. Just 14 teams pulled and you go where you go.
Old 05-18-2010, 07:39 PM   #608
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

I fucking hate the draft lottery. Twolves get screwed every time and I swear it is more rigged than NBA officiating.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 07:39 PM   #609
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shkspr View Post
DT, they pull three teams out of the hopper, and the others go 4-14 in reverse order of finish. Since neither Philly or Washington were in the procession of reverse order of finish, they by definition had to be two of the three teams in the top 3.

oh. i thought they pulled all 14 out of the hopper and you went where you went. that makes sense (even if it's a dumb way of doing it)
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 07:46 PM   #610
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Awesome that Philly got the #2 pick. This team could take a big leap forward next year.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 07:49 PM   #611
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
Awesome that Philly got the #2 pick. This team could take a big leap forward next year.
The problem is that you kind of already are committed to a SG. You guys could have really used Wall who filled a need. I love Turner's game, but I don't think he fills a huge need for you guys.
Old 05-18-2010, 08:17 PM   #612
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Redick > Carter so far in this series. Kind of like December.
Old 05-18-2010, 08:29 PM   #613
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
The problem is that you kind of already are committed to a SG. You guys could have really used Wall who filled a need. I love Turner's game, but I don't think he fills a huge need for you guys.

Yeah, Sixers have an interesting decision to make. Turner is the obvious #2 talent in the draft (maybe #1 IMO), but doesn't fill a need. A big like Cousins seems to make more sense.
Old 05-18-2010, 08:40 PM   #614
Subby
lolzcat

Selling the team to Leonsis creates a ton of good karma for Les Boulez. Really happy to get a little good news.
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 08:41 PM   #615
RainMaker
General Manager

That was a really hard foul by Howard. Basically belted him in the face.
Old 05-18-2010, 08:51 PM   #616
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Man, I love watching Rondo play.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 09:26 PM   #617
larrymcg421
Head Coach

LOL. "You don't lose much when Gortat is in there."

And the Celtics proceed to go to the hoop on like three straight plays.

Old 05-18-2010, 10:28 PM   #618
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Man, it is not good for the heart to root for this Celtics team.

Old 05-18-2010, 10:33 PM   #619
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Carter with the choke.
Old 05-18-2010, 10:33 PM   #620
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

ahhh Vince Carter, you never change
bulletsponge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 10:33 PM   #621
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

wow. Vince Carter missed two FTs there.
Old 05-18-2010, 10:37 PM   #622
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Celts up 2-0. Wow.
Old 05-18-2010, 10:38 PM   #623
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Vince Carter with the choke and JJ Redick with a bonehead play.

Old 05-18-2010, 10:40 PM   #624
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
wow. Vince Carter missed two FTs there.

What wow? It's Vince Carter.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 12:06 AM   #625
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
I fucking hate the draft lottery. Twolves get screwed every time and I swear it is more rigged than NBA officiating.

I predict you'll get the top pick in 2012...when the Clippers will finally have unprotected rights to that first rounder that has been protected since 2005.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 12:08 AM   #626
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

I would like to see the Clips trade up to the #2 and get Turner. That would fill the one notable hole in their lineup, assuming they find a way to not trade open a new hole in getting the #2.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 05-19-2010 at 12:20 AM.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 12:16 AM   #627
stevew
Hall Of Famer

This Arenas/Wall thing will likely not work out. I don't know what they can even do with Gilbert. I think you gotta send the message from day one, that this is Wall's squad.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 12:20 AM   #628
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
I don't understand the NBA draft and how they know for instance that because one team above them dropped that Philly and Washington advanced into the top 3?? It's always fucking confusing to me.

They're making that assumption based on how the draft order would've been if it was done by actual records, rather than this mockery system of allowing teams that barely missed the playoffs get a shot at the 1st pick.

So for instance, they can say that Washington advanced into the Top 3 because their record wouldn't have warranted that, if things were actually done by reverse record worst to best of the non-playoff qualifiers.

That said, glad the Nets didn't get the 1st pick because it takes some pressure off of them making the pick. Rod Thorn knows what he's doing though and it'll be interesting to see how they bargain in that position based on their other free agent possibilities.
Old 05-19-2010, 04:26 AM   #629
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
Yeah, Sixers have an interesting decision to make. Turner is the obvious #2 talent in the draft (maybe #1 IMO), but doesn't fill a need. A big like Cousins seems to make more sense.

pretty sure Minnesota would be willing to trade up to No2, not sure what the 76ers would want/need from them but they do have 2 more 1st rounders (16 and 23)
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 05:12 AM   #630
Atocep
Coordinator

The sixers need a low post scoring threat and I would like to see them go with Favors. I actually like him more than Turner (who I don't think will be a star in the NBA) and Cousins (who reminds me too much of Derrick Coleman).
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 06:13 AM   #631
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Epic choke job from Carter last night. Lewis has been terrible, Carter and Nelson had bad games as well. Howard played well but didn't have enough help. Rondo was brilliant and Pierce was really good too.

Quote:
LOL. "You don't lose much when Gortat is in there."

And the Celtics proceed to go to the hoop on like three straight plays.

Howard should have still been in the game, it was an awful call on that fourth foul early in the third quarter. It went from a tie game to an 8-10 point Boston lead in the next several minutes.

But yeah, bad announcing. I also liked how Mark Jackson kept saying getting the ball into Howard was a bad move he was shooting such a high percentage and none of the other key players were doing well. I guess he thought we needed a few more off-balance fadeaway bricks from Carter.
Old 05-19-2010, 06:25 AM   #632
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
The sixers need a low post scoring threat and I would like to see them go with Favors. I actually like him more than Turner (who I don't think will be a star in the NBA) and Cousins (who reminds me too much of Derrick Coleman).

Do you need a low post scorer, or someone who is a threat to eventually maybe become one in the NBA? Because I fully expect Favors to be abused badly in the NBA for at least a couple of years.
Old 05-19-2010, 07:52 AM   #633
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Fo View Post
Epic choke job from Carter last night. Lewis has been terrible, Carter and Nelson had bad games as well. Howard played well but didn't have enough help. Rondo was brilliant and Pierce was really good too.

Howard should have still been in the game, it was an awful call on that fourth foul early in the third quarter. It went from a tie game to an 8-10 point Boston lead in the next several minutes.

But yeah, bad announcing. I also liked how Mark Jackson kept saying getting the ball into Howard was a bad move he was shooting such a high percentage and none of the other key players were doing well. I guess he thought we needed a few more off-balance fadeaway bricks from Carter.

I think Mark Jackson had a point though - you take your chances with Howard in the post. If he scores 30...okay. But he can't beat you all by himself from there, so if you're single-covering him and covering the kickouts so there aren't open guys at the 3 point line and a ton of motion in the offense, you can live with that. It takes Orlando out of the style of offense that has been so successful for them all year.
Old 05-19-2010, 08:17 AM   #634
whomario
Pro Starter

plus most of Howards points actually came after the Magic ran a couple screen and rolls with Howard presenting a moving target (or off offensive boards). In traditional post up situations he didn´t look all that good once more and as long as the Celtis can afford not to double team him Jackson has a point. I doubt he meant it as not getting Howard the ball but simply not getting him the ball with his back to the basket and see what happens.

Last edited by whomario : 05-19-2010 at 08:19 AM.
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 03:33 PM   #635
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

If, like last night, none of the other guys are getting open consistently, they are missing even on the rare occasions they get an open three, and Howard is having a good game offensively (helped by Perkins getting in foul trouble), then getting it inside to Howard is the most effective thing they can do. I do agree that it's preferable to get him the ball five feet away from the bucket or when he's moving than having him post up 8-10 feet away from the hoop.

But if the shooters don't start making shots we're screwed. I think it's too late anyway but a game three win would make it a little more interesting at least.
Old 05-19-2010, 03:47 PM   #636
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Fo View Post
If, like last night, none of the other guys are getting open consistently, they are missing even on the rare occasions they get an open three, and Howard is having a good game offensively (helped by Perkins getting in foul trouble), then getting it inside to Howard is the most effective thing they can do. I do agree that it's preferable to get him the ball five feet away from the bucket or when he's moving than having him post up 8-10 feet away from the hoop.

But if the shooters don't start making shots we're screwed. I think it's too late anyway but a game three win would make it a little more interesting at least.

saw a stat that boston is like 32-0 all-time in the playoffs when they start off a series 2-0. not to say it can't happen, but if it does it would be epic.

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 05-19-2010 at 03:47 PM.
Old 05-19-2010, 04:49 PM   #637
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

DT, the Celtics had never lost a series where they were up 3-2 before last year as well. They have 2. You need 4 to win. Come on, didn't the Bruins get that clear?
Old 05-19-2010, 05:41 PM   #638
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
DT, the Celtics had never lost a series where they were up 3-2 before last year as well. They have 2. You need 4 to win. Come on, didn't the Bruins get that clear?

i said - "not to say it couldn't happen"
Old 05-19-2010, 06:36 PM   #639
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by whomario View Post
pretty sure Minnesota would be willing to trade up to No2, not sure what the 76ers would want/need from them but they do have 2 more 1st rounders (16 and 23)

I think that deal would make sense for both teams. TWolves would get the guy they should've got years ago when they traded away Brandon Roy, and the Sixers can nab Cousins/Favors.
Old 05-19-2010, 06:49 PM   #640
Atocep
Coordinator

I've seen Hassan Whiteside projected to go as high as 7th overall and I just don't see how. I watched him play 7 or 8 times this year and he's a talented kid, but he has a lot working against him.

First, he turns 21 next month so he's not your typical freshman (even thought he's raw even for a freshman). Second, Marshall played 4 games against teams that were DII and lower and the competition in CUSA wasn't exactly stellar this year. Third, he was a major pain in the ass for the coaching staff. He would routinely quit when things weren't going his way. In the CBI he played 16 and 22 minutes in their last 2 games and wasn't close to being in foul trouble. He just wasn't trying.

Best case scenario I see for him is he sticks as an interior defensive specialist, but he will need a serious change to his attitude to accomplish that, imo.
Old 05-19-2010, 07:00 PM   #641
Groundhog
Coordinator

Hassan Whiteside is the leading 2010 Patrick O'Bryant Award nominee to get drafted 20 spots too high thanks to height and potential.
Old 05-19-2010, 09:58 PM   #642
endemicFOF
n00b

Even if Wall turns out to be a freak of nature ala Derrick Rose(unbelievably hard to come in at 19 at play the PG position at the level Rose did right away, it just doesn't happen more than a few times per generation), and that really shouldn't be expected, regardless of the fact he may be the #1 pick...and Turner maxes out as a Brandon Roy type(which I think he will)...the only player who has the potential to be the BEST player on a title team is Cousins. IMO, the teams that "won" the 3rd and 4th picks got a blessing is disguise, as I'm almost certain that with the right coach in his ear, Cousins will turn out the be the best player from this draft.

But with all likelyhood, and like most drafs, there isn't a #1 option on a title team available in this draft. As good as Rose is, and will be, he too is an ideal #2 man(can you say LeBron James giving Rose a call a few days ago? Uh oh...)..and will never win a title as the best player barring a freakish year that will not happen twice.

I also think Favors has more upside than Wall and Turner...with Wall and Turner tied for #3 on that list.

Although Wall is somewhat of a lock now...I don't think he is a stone-cold lock just yet. If Cousins impresses the way I think he can, he SHOULD be the pick for the Wiz, as Gilbert/Wall just isn't going to work, through no fault of Wall...but Cousins/Gilbert will. Time will tell!

Last edited by endemicFOF : 05-19-2010 at 10:01 PM.
endemicFOF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 10:32 PM   #643
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

rose and james wouldn't work well together. rose needs the ball...james needs the ball. rose doesn't have the outside shot and the ability to play off the ball necessary to complement james.
Old 05-19-2010, 10:39 PM   #644
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Good job by the Lakers tonight. They just blew past the suns in the 4th.
Old 05-19-2010, 11:26 PM   #645
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
Hassan Whiteside is the leading 2010 Patrick O'Bryant Award nominee to get drafted 20 spots too high thanks to height and potential.

I vote that we change it to the Mouhamed Sene Award.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 11:39 PM   #646
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
rose and james wouldn't work well together. rose needs the ball...james needs the ball. rose doesn't have the outside shot and the ability to play off the ball necessary to complement james.
Maybe not 10 years ago, but the rules today are perfect for those two. Imagine stopping them in transition and running a dribble drive offense would be good. They would need to bring in a shooter although Rose's mid-range jumper has developed real well in the last year.
Old 05-20-2010, 02:22 AM   #647
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Maybe not 10 years ago, but the rules today are perfect for those two. Imagine stopping them in transition and running a dribble drive offense would be good. They would need to bring in a shooter although Rose's mid-range jumper has developed real well in the last year.

I'd imagine a good scenario for the Bulls would be to sign-and-trade Luol Deng to the Hawks for Joe Johnson, and then sign LeBron through the FA. Johnson would be a great spot-up shooter for any team, if he isn't relied upon to carry them.

A starting lineup of Rose-Johnson-Lebron-Gibson-Noah would be ridiculously great in the open court. They can keep Hinrich and Miller on the bench, and perhaps sign a veteran off FA for stability.
Old 05-20-2010, 11:10 AM   #648
cactusdave
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neon_Chaos View Post
I'd imagine a good scenario for the Bulls would be to sign-and-trade Luol Deng to the Hawks for Joe Johnson, and then sign LeBron through the FA. Johnson would be a great spot-up shooter for any team, if he isn't relied upon to carry them.

A starting lineup of Rose-Johnson-Lebron-Gibson-Noah would be ridiculously great in the open court. They can keep Hinrich and Miller on the bench, and perhaps sign a veteran off FA for stability.
Joe Johnson is not worth the combination of the money that Chicago would be required to spend on him in terms of salary in addition to having to part with Deng.

There are better deals out there to be had if the Bull's preoccupation has to do with acquiring a 2 guard in addition to James.

The Bulls are already sitting on the 17th pick in the draft so one strategy could have them parlaying that pick along with Deng to move up and get a real impact rookie.

Or maybe they believe they can get that kind of a rookie with the 17th pick already.
cactusdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 02:33 AM   #649
Atocep
Coordinator

The top 12 this year according to Hollinger's draft rater, which has been very accurate (but not perfect) in projecting the top 12 players in each draft class.

1.) Cousins (5th highest rated player entering the draft since he started his projection in '02)
2.) Turner
3.) Wall
4.) Monroe
5.) Favors
6.) Henry
7.) Babbitt
8.) Al-Farouq Aminu
9.) Wes Johnson
10.) Vasquez
11.) Landesberg
12.) Samhan

Other notables:

36.) Aldrich
50.) Udoh
54.) Ed Davis
62.) Whiteside
Old 05-22-2010, 05:43 AM   #650
RainMaker
General Manager

I think that's crazy. The league is built for quick guards and Wall is the perfect player for that style. He is probably the best PG prospect we've seen in years.

You could argue Cousins as #2, but again, the league isn't built for guys like that. Throw in the fact that he doesn't appear to want to be coached and has major attitude problems and I just don't see it. I'd rather have Turner who has the versatility to play multiple positions.