Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-29-2011, 12:32 PM   #601
Rizon
Pro Starter

Rex Grossman is still available.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
I don't think I'd stop even if I found a dick.
Rizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 12:42 PM   #602
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
Wasn't Matt Moore pretty awful last year? He doesn't sound like much of an upgrade over Henne.

Moore started the last four games two years ago after Delhomme got hurt and looked really good. After the usual "this backup needs to be a starter!!!" hype (hype i was thrilled with b/c it made it easier to tell Delhomme to gtfo), Moore went into last season as the starter... and was pathetic.

Last year he started 6 games, 5 TD/10 INT with a 55 passer rating before losing his starting job to Jimmy Clausen.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 12:43 PM   #603
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Ray Edwards getting a 5 year deal from the Falcons. Woot-ness!
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 12:47 PM   #604
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

John Clayton:
Quote:
By getting Tyson Clabo to take a $5 million a year contract, the Falcons were able to squeeze in a Ray Edwards deal at $6Mil. Huge move
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 02:12 PM   #605
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles View Post
Dolphins decided to pass on Orton and signed Matt Moore from the Panthers instead.

I hope that's just a leverage move vis a vis the Broncos.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 02:47 PM   #606
Galaril
Pro Starter

Shaun Smith agreed to 3 years at 7.5 million with Titans .That is not bad for a 325LB dt whom had 56 tackles last year in just 10 games.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 05:08 PM   #607
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

God the Bengals are a disaster. They cut Odom which is a fine football move, but adds to how far the Bengals are under the floor. Zimmer came out with some pretty harsh language on losing Joseph. Pretty sure he's gone after this year. Morgan Trent was cut and then the cut was rescinded. Three other defensive players were put on PUP.

Here's hoping the Bengals offer Asomugha 30 mil per year just for the comedy.
Old 07-29-2011, 05:11 PM   #608
Rizon
Pro Starter

What happens if a team doesn't make the cap floor?
Quote:
Old 07-29-2011, 05:19 PM   #609
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Eagles got Nnamdi
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 05:20 PM   #610
The Jackal
Coordinator

At least the Redskins are actually being competent this offseason. But ugh, the Eagles are scary.
The Jackal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 05:20 PM   #611
The Jackal
Coordinator

I wonder if EF knows I'm a redskins fan.
Old 07-29-2011, 05:33 PM   #612
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

fuck
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 05:43 PM   #613
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizon View Post
What happens if a team doesn't make the cap floor?

This year, nothing. Teams have to spend 99% of the cap over 2011 and 2012, so if the Bengals are 20 mil under this year they need to be 20 mil over next year. Of course I'm not sure how you get 20 mil over, but that's what I've read.
Old 07-29-2011, 05:50 PM   #614
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
fuck

+1
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 05:54 PM   #615
Arles
Grey Dog Software

I just heard that the Eagles are probably going to cut Samuel now. If that's the case, this isn't that huge of a move.
Old 07-29-2011, 05:58 PM   #616
Comey
College Starter

Samuel isn't what he used to be; he's still good, but he gambles a ton, can't tackle worth a damn...I'll be happy if they keep him, but if they don't, not a big deal. It's still a large upgrade.

Comey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 06:00 PM   #617
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Actually, word is they will try to trade Samuel, not cut him.
Old 07-29-2011, 06:10 PM   #618
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
This year, nothing. Teams have to spend 99% of the cap over 2011 and 2012, so if the Bengals are 20 mil under this year they need to be 20 mil over next year. Of course I'm not sure how you get 20 mil over, but that's what I've read.

Considering most top free agents will have no desire to play in Cincinnati I have no idea how they are going to comply with this.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 06:12 PM   #619
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:

That's actually an interesting strategy (at least for a team that is a attractive destination for free agents i.e. not the Bengals). If you are rebuilding you could stay 20-30 million under the cap, and then really try to go all out on 2 year deals. Of course in year 3 you'd be screwed but in a league with as much parity as the NFL, most teams windows aren't much bigger than that anyway.
bhlloy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 06:21 PM   #620
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

Eagles are 14-1 odds in Vegas to win it all... I may be putting some cash down on that.

Asomugha, Cromartie, and Samuel (if they keep them) as your corners - wow!

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
FOOL - Cleveland Cyclones
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
CleBrownsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 06:25 PM   #621
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

No, each team doesn't have to spend 99% of the cap, the TOTAL of the NFL Teams have to spend 99% of the cap: Here's a good nutshell explanation:

The CBA in a nutshell | ProFootballTalk

Players accepted a relatively low salary cap in exchange for the raising the minimum teams have to spend. This can’t be underestimated. 99% of the salary cap must be spent in cash in aggregate between 2011-2012. The league-wide number falls to 95% after that. Teams must spend at least 89% of the cap from 2013-2016 and 2017-2020.
Old 07-29-2011, 06:29 PM   #622
Rizon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleBrownsfan View Post
Eagles are 14-1 odds in Vegas to win it all... I may be putting some cash down on that.

Asomugha, Cromartie, and Samuel (if they keep them) as your corners - wow!

Is Andy Reid still coaching the team?
Quote:
Old 07-29-2011, 06:45 PM   #623
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Is Vick still the QB?
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 06:49 PM   #624
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
No, each team doesn't have to spend 99% of the cap, the TOTAL of the NFL Teams have to spend 99% of the cap: Here's a good nutshell explanation:

The CBA in a nutshell | ProFootballTalk

Players accepted a relatively low salary cap in exchange for the raising the minimum teams have to spend. This can’t be underestimated. 99% of the salary cap must be spent in cash in aggregate between 2011-2012. The league-wide number falls to 95% after that. Teams must spend at least 89% of the cap from 2013-2016 and 2017-2020.

Yeah. Where I got the info has now updated to reflect that. It also looks like there is no team floor until 2013. So the Bengals could be banking as much money as possible.

I hate Mike Brown.
Old 07-29-2011, 06:59 PM   #625
SteveMax58
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Is Vick still the QB?
No, I am.
SteveMax58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 06:59 PM   #626
The Jackal
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Is Vick still the QB?

yes
Old 07-29-2011, 07:12 PM   #627
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Yeah. Where I got the info has now updated to reflect that. It also looks like there is no team floor until 2013. So the Bengals could be banking as much money as possible.

I hate Mike Brown.

Is it too much to hope that he moves the team to LA? I want to switch to a new team to root for and I think that's one of the only ways you are allowed to switch allegiances to a team.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 08:22 PM   #628
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

As long as he owns the Bengals they can go wherever they want. They won't ever be a winner under his direction.
Old 07-29-2011, 09:22 PM   #629
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sak View Post
Eagles got Nnamdi

Very excited about their off-season.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 10:01 PM   #630
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles View Post
Dolphins decided to pass on Orton and signed Matt Moore from the Panthers instead.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 10:31 PM   #631
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

At this point anything that helps the Jets not win the Super Bowl and thus increasing their already smugness is fine by me.
Old 07-29-2011, 10:32 PM   #632
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
Is it too much to hope that he moves the team to LA? I want to switch to a new team to root for and I think that's one of the only ways you are allowed to switch allegiances to a team.

I'm pretty sure they fall under the law of management incompetence as well.
Old 07-30-2011, 04:27 PM   #633
Comey
College Starter

Eagles sign Cullen Jenkins, deal Broderick Bunkley to Cleveland...rumors are swirling about Plaxico, from what I read, too.

This reminds me of 2004, times 100. When they fall short again, the disappointment will be immense. We Philly fans have finally been spoiled after a century of ineptitude, bad management, and constantly falling short of the goal. What the Phillies have done in the last five years have exceeded anything I'd *ever* expected of that franchise...the same goes for the Eagles over the last decade. But it's still Philly...I love them to death, but in the end, I expect nothing.

That said...what they're doing is beginning to sway me towards optimism. ; )

Old 07-30-2011, 06:00 PM   #634
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comey View Post
Eagles sign Cullen Jenkins, deal Broderick Bunkley to Cleveland...rumors are swirling about Plaxico, from what I read, too.

This reminds me of 2004, times 100. When they fall short again, the disappointment will be immense. We Philly fans have finally been spoiled after a century of ineptitude, bad management, and constantly falling short of the goal. What the Phillies have done in the last five years have exceeded anything I'd *ever* expected of that franchise...the same goes for the Eagles over the last decade. But it's still Philly...I love them to death, but in the end, I expect nothing.

+1
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 06:28 PM   #635
sabotai
General Manager

Preface this by saying I'm Giants fan and may be seeing what I want to see, but I can't say what the Eagles have done really scares me at all. It's the same as what they've done over the last several years. Get some buzz going with some names at the "diva" positions and then do nothing else.

I don't recognize any of the offensive linemen, they're best TE is very average, they (allegedly) run a west coast offense and have nothing but small, speedy WRs, they're D-Line doesn't scare me and their linebackers make me smile. Rodgers-Cromartie and Asomugha will make people ohh and ahh with some nice picks and deflections, but they'll get burned too (according Arizona fans from what I've seen, DRC more times than not lately) and they have no one at safety to cover their ass for when they do.

Evey year they make a few moves and make the talking heads on TV say "OMG How do you stop them?" and that question is usually answered by half time in week 1. So, a big ol' shrug from me.

And as far as my expectations for the Giants go, it's looking like maybe an 8-8 season for them. They can't do much because of the cap, 10-6 last year with a few of their veterans cut and Osi holding out (and will probably be traded....I'm sorta hoping. He's been underperforming since Strahan retired and has been a bit of a headcase. I'd be fine with just Tuck and Kiwi at the DE positions). Unless some of their young talent from last year gained a few years of experience during this off season, can't say I'm expecting much from the G-Men this year.

Last edited by sabotai : 07-30-2011 at 06:29 PM.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 06:38 PM   #636
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comey View Post

There's only so much an organization can do, and the Eagles are doing it. No matter what, it's still going to be a longshot for any particular team to win the championship any given year. Last I checked the "favorites" were only 6 1/2 to 1 or something to win it all. Going into any season with the "championship or the season is a failure" mentality saps the energy out of a fanbase because its just not realistic. That's happened with the Yankees, the Red Sox to some degree, the Patriots, and probably the Phillies in the last few years. If you can't enjoy your team being good as those kinds of teams, you're missing out. Try being a Bengal fan.

Last edited by molson : 07-30-2011 at 06:38 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 06:39 PM   #637
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Plex is going to be an Eagle sometime tomorrow.
Old 07-30-2011, 06:52 PM   #638
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Plex is going to be an Eagle sometime tomorrow.

They're only Pacman Jones and Cedric Benson away from hitting for the criminal cycle. Lets go Eagles!!!

Also, great post by Molson. While the Eagles surely aren't perfect (concerns about Vick going a full season at the top of the list IMO), they seem to have put themselves into position to be one of the NFC favorites behind the Packers, and what more can you ask from your favorite team at this point in the season?
Old 07-30-2011, 06:54 PM   #639
sabotai
General Manager

Bill Simmons seems to think the Eagles can't not win the Super Bowl now.

"Congrats to the Philadelphia Eagles + their fans on winning Super Bowl 46. Just schedule the parade now, there's no way you won't win."

Twitter
Old 07-30-2011, 07:00 PM   #640
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai View Post
Bill Simmons seems to think the Eagles can't not win the Super Bowl now.

"Congrats to the Philadelphia Eagles + their fans on winning Super Bowl 46. Just schedule the parade now, there's no way you won't win."

Twitter

I think he's just screwing with Eagle fans. But in reality, what are their chances, even if they're the favorites now. 4-1? They have a good shot. It's not even better than 50% though, let alone some kind of slam dunk. But if they don't win it all, everyone will still be jumping of bridges.

Last edited by molson : 07-30-2011 at 07:00 PM.
Old 07-30-2011, 07:00 PM   #641
sabotai
General Manager

Osi's ending his holdout......but, it doesn't look like he'll stay.

Quote:
Osi Umenyiora is on his way back to the Giants, according to his agent, and he's ready to end his holdout after a little more than 24 hours.

The anger and bitterness that sparked the hold out in the first place, though, remain.
According to a source who spoke to Umenyiora earlier today, the disgruntled defensive end is still disgruntled and is particularly angry at Giants GM Jerry Reese.

"Osi will never talk to Jerry ever again -- ever," the source said. "I have no doubt he's going to say that when he gets there, too."

In other words, though the holdout is ending, this situation could get very, very ugly in the coming days.

Still-angry Osi ready to end holdout | New York Daily News

Of course, money solves these kinds of personal problems. But it seems like Osi wants out of New York.
Old 07-30-2011, 07:06 PM   #642
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Oh don't get me wrong...I don't expect the Eagles to win it all but it is nice to see them spend the money instead of bragging how much under the cap they are.
Old 07-30-2011, 07:12 PM   #643
stevew
Hall Of Famer

If Osi poops on people he likes, I shudder to think how he treats his enemies.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 07:12 PM   #644
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Oh don't get me wrong...I don't expect the Eagles to win it all but it is nice to see them spend the money instead of bragging how much under the cap they are.

Sure, that's my point - the Eagles will be really good and they could win it all. But any Eagle fan who somehow sees a failed season if they fall short is just miserable turd. Those people are all too common in the Boston/NYC/Philly triangle of sports fandom self-hatred (that's the fire Bill Simmons is flaming already). Me, I know the Pats haven't won in the playoffs for a while, but I'm just still giddy that they're relevant, have winning seasons, are high-profile, and are on TV all the time even in Idaho. Maybe that's just because I got through the lean years.

Last edited by molson : 07-30-2011 at 07:12 PM.
Old 07-30-2011, 07:13 PM   #645
Radii
Head Coach

Simmons is a big fan of the reverse jinx. /shrug.
Old 07-30-2011, 07:14 PM   #646
ColtCrazy
College Starter

Very happy to see Manning signed long term and nice to see him asking for less money.

Still won't be enough to save Kelvin Hayden, it looks like. Shame, I really like him as a corner and will always remember his INT TD in the Super Bowl win. But he's been injured and has a 6 mill hit this year. Hopefully he can be resigned for less.
ColtCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 07:15 PM   #647
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
Sure, that's my point - the Eagles will be really good and they could win it all. But any Eagle fan who somehow sees a failed season if they fall short is just miserable turd. Those people are all too common in the Boston/NYC/Philly triangle of sports fandom self-hatred (that's the fire Bill Simmons is flaming already). Me, I know the Pats haven't won in the playoffs for a while, but I'm just still giddy that they're relevant, have winning seasons, are high-proifle, and are on TV all the time even in Idaho. Maybe that's just because I got through the lean years.

Only one team can win it all a year. Will I be disappointed if they don't win...yes. Will I think it is a failure...only if they crap the bed and don't make the playoffs. The playoffs are hard to win. It's all about match ups and part of it is being lucky enough to be healthy at the end of the season and peaking at the right time.
Old 07-30-2011, 07:27 PM   #648
Comey
College Starter

Quote:
Sure, that's my point - the Eagles will be really good and they could win it all. But any Eagle fan who somehow sees a failed season if they fall short is just miserable turd. Those people are all too common in the Boston/NYC/Philly triangle of sports fandom self-hatred (that's the fire Bill Simmons is flaming already). Me, I know the Pats haven't won in the playoffs for a while, but I'm just still giddy that they're relevant, have winning seasons, are high-profile, and are on TV all the time even in Idaho. Maybe that's just because I got through the lean years.

Whoa whoa whoa...did I *ever* say I see a failed season? I totally enjoy that they've been relevant for the past decade. I think I stated that, too.

However, when they get so close, so close, so close...and then fall short, it's disappointing. Especially when it's never happened before. The Pats have won it three times in the last decade...beating the Eagles in the only time they broke through.

This is why I *expect* nothing. I hope for everything. And, when they do fall short, it's disappointing, but not the end of the world. If I'm a miserable turd for what I wrote...well, let the fling. ; )

Old 07-30-2011, 07:29 PM   #649
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
I think he's just screwing with Eagle fans.

Bingo. And you wonder why we start to see Boston fans as being dickish.
Old 07-30-2011, 08:56 PM   #650
MrBug708
Head Coach

Kluwe, McNabb Agree To Terms On No. 5

Once again, Chris Kluwe is awesome
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote