Originally Posted by Samdari View Post
Isn't that 98% of twitter?

99.9% from what i've seen
Old 03-10-2010, 02:37 PM   #602
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
How long before she calls off her wedding and heads to Hollywood for a reality show?

How long will it take to close that gap in her teeth?
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 11:25 AM   #603
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passacaglia View Post
I remember seeing the sign for Fowlerville on I-96 every time I drove across the state. Exit 129, right? I think I stopped at a Dairy Queen there a few times.

Sounds about right for the exit.

Old 03-11-2010, 11:29 AM   #604
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Conan O'Brien presents "The Legally Prohibited from Being Funny on Television Tour" | teamcoco.com
Old 03-11-2010, 12:05 PM   #605
Galaxy
Coordinator

Interesting to see it. He never was a comedian in the traditional sense. I bet NBC will have guys at each show to see if he mocks them.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 02:00 PM   #606
Swaggs
Coordinator

This is reportedly Conan, as well:

http://twitter.com/CoCosBeard
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 02:09 PM   #607
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post
He never was a comedian in the traditional sense.

Well he was never funny in the traditional sense either but that didn't seem to hinder him much
Old 03-11-2010, 02:55 PM   #608
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
This is reportedly Conan, as well:

http://twitter.com/CoCosBeard

I don't think it is, there are a bunch of conan-related twitter accounts (like conanssquirrel, etc) and I'm almost positive they are all fans, not Coco.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 04:14 PM   #609
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Well he was never funny in the traditional sense either but that didn't seem to hinder him much

Can't you just hurry up and die, you old dinosaur?
Old 03-11-2010, 04:18 PM   #610
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlifornia View Post
Can't you just hurry up and die, you old dinosaur?

Jon is going to out-live us all. He'll outlive the cock-roach.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 05:26 PM   #611
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:

He's funny to me and the younger audience he caters to. However, I guess it all a matter in taste.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 09:27 PM   #612
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Well he was never funny in the traditional sense either
The 12:30 "Late Night" timeslot isn't meant for people trying to be funny in the traditional sense.
Old 03-11-2010, 09:42 PM   #613
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs View Post
The 12:30 "Late Night" timeslot isn't meant for people trying to be funny in the traditional sense.

This entire concept of 'traditional' humour leaves me confused. I'm guessing that my grandpa doesn't find Leno any more 'traditional' than Jon finds Conan.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 09:46 PM   #614
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

And he's doing it for free.

Conan's Tour -- No Bread for the Redhead | TMZ.com

Old 03-11-2010, 09:51 PM   #615
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

1230 hasn't been worth a shit since we were able to fire up a colortini, sit back, relax, and watch the pictures, now, as they fly through the air.
Old 03-11-2010, 09:58 PM   #616
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

For someone who generally thinks most people are morons, you put a lot of stock in what most people like.
Old 03-11-2010, 10:16 PM   #617
chrisj
H.S. Freshman Team

Location: Edmonton, Alberta (but still wishing I was in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada)

Tickets went on sale at 8am - and I think were sold out around 8:05 just about everwhere.

I found out about the show at lunch time, went to get tickets, and they were all gone.
chrisj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 10:53 PM   #618
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs2 View Post
For someone who generally thinks most people are morons, you put a lot of stock in what most people like.

If that was for me (and since it followed my post I'm guessing it was) it's largely about what I like, followed distantly and/or separately by what has some redeeming value of some sort.

In Conan's case, I find his schtick consistently flat, uninspiring, and without any particular humor. I'm not particularly enamored by Leno either but at least he commands an audience.
Old 03-13-2010, 09:01 PM   #619
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Old 03-14-2010, 12:33 AM   #620
SackAttack
Head Coach

Is it me, or does Jay Leno look like a fatter Steve Martin in that picture?
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 06:42 AM   #621
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

I never liked Jay Leno as a host and I stopped watching Letterman eons ago. I prefer Craig Ferguson of all of em.
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 08:30 AM   #622
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Media Life Magazine - In late night, Jay leaves Dave in the dust

For a few brief nights after Jay Leno returned to "The Tonight Show," it looked as though he and David Letterman were going to be fighting for the lead every night, with Letterman winning his fair share.

But more than a month into Leno's return, that's no longer the case.

After a couple of early Letterman victories among young adults, Leno has taken a firm lead among total viewers and adults 18-49, and Letterman has lost virtually all the gains he made in Leno's absence.

For the week ended April 4, NBC's "Tonight" scored its largest advantage over CBS's "Late Show" in total viewers in four weeks and tied its largest margin among 18-49s in the past month.

"Tonight" averaged 4.2 million viewers, 1 million, or 32 percent, ahead of "Late Show." ABC's "Nightline" also finished ahead of Letterman with 3.7 million.

Among 18-49s, "Tonight" led by 25 percent with a 1.1 rating to "Late Show's" 0.9. "Nightline" also averaged a 0.9.

Leno has now won all 25 nights in total viewers since he returned from his brief run in primetime and 23 of 25 nights among 18-49s.

Before Leno's return, the sense of media people was that the two would jockey for No. 1 for some time but that eventually Leno would regain the lead. The question was just how long that would take.

The answer, now so evident, was not very long at all.

Letterman was averaging 4.1 million before Leno came back, and even the week of his rival's return he averaged 3.7 million. But from then on it was a steady downhill slide to last week's 3.2 million.

Some Letterman viewers may have switched to Leno while others may have simply drifted away.

Leno, too, has seen his viewership fall since his debut. He averaged 5.6 million in his first week back, and he's down from the 2008-'09 season, when he averaged 5.2 million.

But he's well above the 2.8 million Conan O'Brien was averaging before his ouster.

For all the media outcry over how poorly NBC handled O'Brien, it appears not to have hurt Leno upon his return.
Old 04-12-2010, 11:56 AM   #623
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Shocker: Conan Headed Back to TV-- On TBS, Not Fox - TheWrap.com

Conan to TBS.
Old 04-14-2010, 12:51 PM   #624
Logan
Head Coach

That's cold, Jay!
Old 04-14-2010, 12:53 PM   #625
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Have they announced when Eubanks will change his mind and come back to steal the new guy's job?
Old 04-14-2010, 12:55 PM   #626
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Have they announced when Eubanks will change his mind and come back to steal the new guy's job?

As always with you...better than what I can come up with.
Old 04-16-2010, 12:01 PM   #627
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 09:10 PM   #628
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Heh, funny little editorializing piece today on TVbythenumbers.com , about NBC affiliates leaving their meeting in Vegas this week talking about how happy they are with primetime compared to four months ago.

The latest week NBC carried all new episodes (week ending 3/28) they averaged a 2.0 rating in primetime. ... Comparing with four months ago wouldn’t be fair since NBC was still carrying football, but in mid-January NBC averaged a 2.28 rating. Tell me again how much better things have gotten for NBC?

I’m sure the future owners of NBC (Comcast) appreciated this little episode of corporate extortion from their affiliates (to prevent them from screwing with the acquisition). I’m sure they won’t remember, or hold it against them in the future.

Yep, payback is going to be a real bitch & it's going to have to come sooner or later.

Oh, btw, NBC lost $225 million dollars on the Olympics (revenues minus rights fees & production costs).
Old 04-16-2010, 09:52 PM   #629
Swaggs
Coordinator

Jon, is there a point, where NBC gets low enough in the ratings/advertising area, that they could be taken off basic cable (I'm not sure my phrasing is correct)?

In other words, everyone generally has at least one ABC, CBS, and NBC affiliate -- is there a point that NBC no longer belongs in that crowd and/or another network leapfrogs them and gets into that "class?"
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 09:58 PM   #630
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Coco looks to be coming to MSU, May 21st.

http://www.freep.com/article/2010041...ng-tour-to-MSU

Last edited by Matthean : 04-16-2010 at 09:59 PM.
Matthean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 10:02 PM   #631
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
Jon, is there a point, where NBC gets low enough in the ratings/advertising area, that they could be taken off basic cable (I'm not sure my phrasing is correct)?

In other words, everyone generally has at least one ABC, CBS, and NBC affiliate -- is there a point that NBC no longer belongs in that crowd and/or another network leapfrogs them and gets into that "class?"

Basically no.

Under must-carry provisions, local cable systems are required to carry all stations licensed to their market ... unless the broadcast station opts not to exercise that provision & instead chooses to negotiate a separate rights fee with the cable operator.

So let's say they tank & no rights fees provision could be negotiated (because the broadcast station had no real value to the cable operator), then the broadcast station simply invokes it's right to must-carry status and while they lose the revenue from the cable rights fee they still remain available to the large majority of households in their market.

And as long as NBC has NFL games and even 1 or 2 other shows with an audience, no provider in their right mind is going to give them up anyway.

edit to add: Also, to your original question, must-carry provisions apply not only to stations affiliated with the traditional big four networks but also to pretty much every full-power station in a market, so it already extends to the CW, MyNetwork, and other smaller network & truly independent stations as well.

edit to clarify: The must-carry vs retransmission consent decision is made by the station ownership every three years, solely at the stations option. The consent (aka rights fee oriented) option often includes non-cash concessions by the cable systems, such as carriage of other owned properties (low powered local stations owned by the same group or improved rights fees for same ownership cable networks or an upsized Value Meal at McD's or whatever other compensation they want to ask for). In these cases the systems can agree, decline, or negotiate. If they decline, then the station (as I understand it) cannot exercise the must-carry until the next window opens three years later.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 04-16-2010 at 10:10 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 02:52 PM   #632
Logan
Head Coach

Team Coco News: Jay Leno's ratings fall below Conan's on 'The Tonight Show'-- great job, NBC
Old 04-25-2010, 05:03 PM   #633
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Team Coco might want to leave tough things, like numbers, to the grown ups.

Leno is down, but Letterman is down even more (Dave's actually losing to Kimmell semi-regularly now).

Here's a look at the actual trends, complete with a graphic for those who are better suited for pictures.

Leno Following Conan’s Tonight Show Ratings Trajectory? - TV Ratings, Nielsen Ratings, Television Show Ratings | TVbytheNumbers.com
Old 04-25-2010, 05:50 PM   #634
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Team Coco might want to leave tough things, like numbers, to the grown ups.

Leno is down, but Letterman is down even more (Dave's actually losing to Kimmell semi-regularly now).

Here's a look at the actual trends, complete with a graphic for those who are better suited for pictures.

Leno Following Conan’s Tonight Show Ratings Trajectory? - TV Ratings, Nielsen Ratings, Television Show Ratings | TVbytheNumbers.com

Kinda amusing here that the picture you used as evidence actually contradicts your claim. That chart shows Letterman matches the numbers he had vs. Conan at the same point, whereas Leno is likewise matching Conan's numbers at the same point. In fact, the chart shows that there were only two weeks during his entire run where Conan was lower than Leno's current numbers.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 06:04 PM   #635
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I thought Leno wasn't ever really strong in 18-49 as his audience skewed older.

SI

Old 04-25-2010, 06:08 PM   #636
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
I thought Leno wasn't ever really strong in 18-49 as his audience skewed older.

SI

That's true. I just thought it was funny that Jon made a condescending comment about people only being able to understand pictures and then he didn't seem to understand the picture he linked to.

Plus, if we're talking about Letterman almost losing to Kimmel, that would only be true among 18-49. Letterman almost doubles up Kimmel on total viewers.

Old 04-25-2010, 06:26 PM   #637
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Last Thursday's numbers...

Leno: 2.8 overall, 1.0 18-49
Letterman: 2.7 overall, 0.8 18-49
Kimmel: 1.5 overall, 0.7 18-49

Old 04-25-2010, 07:37 PM   #638
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
That's true. I just thought it was funny that Jon made a condescending comment about people only being able to understand pictures and then he didn't seem to understand the picture he linked to.

Plus, if we're talking about Letterman almost losing to Kimmel, that would only be true among 18-49. Letterman almost doubles up Kimmel on total viewers.

Yeah- I wasn't speaking specifically to your point. It was just more of an observations about Leno's ratings in general

SI

Old 04-25-2010, 07:41 PM   #639
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
Kinda amusing here that the picture you used as evidence actually contradicts your claim.

I was addressing the relativity last week (which triggered the crowing by the Coconuts) rather than the raw numbers, I should have made that distinction clearer I'll agree.
Old 04-25-2010, 08:11 PM   #640
wade moore
lolzcat

This should be good - this is a bit like a kitty-cat vs. a lion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 09:30 PM   #641
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Jay, you sneaky douchebag.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gm9ds...layer_embedded
Old 05-08-2010, 05:13 PM   #642
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
Ah, you know what, I'm solidly anti-Jay on all this but if everyone else gets to tak shots at him I don't see why it's not fair game to return a little fire.
Old 05-08-2010, 06:56 PM   #643
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Ah, you know what, I'm solidly anti-Jay on all this but if everyone else gets to tak shots at him I don't see why it's not fair game to return a little fire.

I just feel like it's a dead issue and yet he keeps bringing it back up. I don't think Conan did anything on 60 minutes to justify it.

Last edited by Matthean : 05-08-2010 at 06:57 PM.
Matthean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 07:02 PM   #644
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
I just feel like it's a dead issue and yet he keeps bringing it back up. I don't think Conan did anything on 60 minutes to justify it.
Conan was on freaking 60 Minutes. Leno did a throwaway joke hidden inside another joke.

I'm with Conan all the way but fair is fair.
Old 05-09-2010, 10:02 AM   #645
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Quote:
Conan was on freaking 60 Minutes. Leno did a throwaway joke hidden inside another joke.

I'm with Conan all the way but fair is fair.
I agree. The part of the 60 Minutes interview where Conan joked about Leno being popular with terrorist was way over the line.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 12:32 PM   #646
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

So Kevin Eubanks is gone from the Tonight Show

Hulu - The Tonight Show with Jay Leno: Kevin Eubanks Show Memories
Greyroofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 08:11 PM   #647
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6iAuPmFkuY

Conan, vs. Stewart and Colbert in a dance off.
Old 06-27-2010, 09:39 AM   #648
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
In the three weeks that Jay Leno’s Tonight Show overlapped with Conan’s on a calendar week basis (2010 vs. 2009) he’s finished behind Conan.

When might Jay overtake Conan’s past ratings? if ever?

If Jay holds at the 0.9 adults 18-49 rating he scored last week, he’d finish below Conan’s ratings for the entire summer.

The folks dwelling on Leno beating Letterman (which he did again last week) miss the point that beating the competition is important only in press releases (and to sites like ours that focus on the horserace) not to the network’s business.

What matters to NBC are a show’s absolute ratings (and their trend) which correlate to its advertising potential. On that basis, NBC cares about the Tonight Show’s current ratings and their trend (which is down vs. last year), not to Letterman’s current ratings.

CBS, of course, cares about Letterman’s ratings trend. On that basis, the fact that Dave had identical ratings to last summer for the last two weeks is pretty good in the broadcast television world where “flat is the new up”

This is mainly for Jon, but what do you make of this? I realize it's incredibly hard to compare 2009 to 2010 so I wonder what, if anything, there is to this?
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 10:11 AM   #649
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

Isn't Leno absolutely killing Conan in number of viewers outside the 18-49 range?
Greyroofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 10:27 AM   #650
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyroofoo View Post
Isn't Leno absolutely killing Conan in number of viewers outside the 18-49 range?

Believe so, which is why I am not even sure how much it matters.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote