Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-05-2010, 06:31 AM   #601
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sak View Post
Met pierre mcguire, and lost my voice in the 1st period

Is it just being on TV or has Pierre packed on a few pounds of late?
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 03:05 PM   #602
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Sak and Pierre before Game 4
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sakpierre1.JPG (50.9 KB, 228 views)

Last edited by Dr. Sak : 06-05-2010 at 03:05 PM.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 05:44 PM   #603
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

I am usually one of Edzo's biggest fans and I know he is the Blackhawks' color commentator...but you can obviously tell who he is rooting for in this series. You can't do that in a national telecast.

Last edited by Dr. Sak : 06-05-2010 at 05:44 PM.
Old 06-06-2010, 07:25 PM   #604
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Listening to that Chicago "tradition" makes me think of this...

EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 07:25 PM   #605
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

dola: or should I say, want to say that...
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 07:55 PM   #606
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

This 1st period has been painful to watch.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 07:56 PM   #607
SackAttack
Head Coach

Let's go Blackhawks!
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 08:39 PM   #608
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I'm scared to ask this but when you get a chance, JiMGA, let us know how the NBA and NHL numbers stack up tomorrow. It's as close to an apples to apples comparison as we're ever going to get and I fear it's going to be like a 5:1 bloodbath

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 09:09 PM   #609
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
Let's go Blackhawks!

Matt Stairs home run still hasn't come down.
Old 06-06-2010, 09:30 PM   #610
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
I'm scared to ask this but when you get a chance, JiMGA, let us know how the NBA and NHL numbers stack up tomorrow. It's as close to an apples to apples comparison as we're ever going to get and I fear it's going to be like a 5:1 bloodbath

I might be surprised if it were even that close, although the NHL total audience has been up so far vs last year so it might stay within that range.
Old 06-06-2010, 09:41 PM   #611
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

How do you miss a high stick like that...wow.
Old 06-06-2010, 09:47 PM   #612
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

First period killed the Flyers...plain and simple. Chicago wanted this game more, now it is Philly's time to respond.
Old 06-06-2010, 09:50 PM   #613
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:

SI

I've stopped worrying about this kind of thing a few years. So long as the NHL can remain profitable and the league stays together, I am fine with that. It's never going to be as popular in the US as the other four "major" sports or many "minor" sports. It's a niche sport.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 06-06-2010, 09:53 PM   #614
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
How do you miss a high stick like that...wow.

that's just what I don't get with them being four refs on the ice. Sure, the guy dropping the puck had his back to the play, but there were three others who should have seen something...

FM
Old 06-06-2010, 09:54 PM   #615
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

1 to go

SI

Old 06-06-2010, 10:26 PM   #616
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Matt Stairs home run still hasn't come down.

That's okay. I've hated the Flyers for the entirety of my NHL fandom, so I don't really need the 2008 and 2009 NLCS to fuel my hatred.

Even if the Dodgers had won the last two pennants, I'd still feel this way.
Old 06-07-2010, 08:38 AM   #617
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

This is only Atlanta (which anyone could figure would be bad) but I thought it was worth mentioning in passing.

Atlanta-Only
HH Rtg-- NBA vs NHL: 11.5 avg rtg, 18.3 share to 1.4 avg rtg, 2.2 share
P18-49 -- NBA vs NHL: 7.6 rtg to 1.1 rtg
M18-49 -- NBA vs NHL: 8.7 rtg to 1.7 rtg
Old 06-07-2010, 01:31 PM   #618
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:

SI

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
I might be surprised if it were even that close, although the NHL total audience has been up so far vs last year so it might stay within that range.

It was actually only a little worse than a 2:1 difference. Considering that Lakers/Celtics is THE marquee matchup in the NBA, I don't reckon that's too shaby at all.

TV Ratings: Celtics, ABC rise on Sunday night - HitFix.com

ABC's coverage of the Boston Celtics-Los Angeles Lakers NBA Finals rematch again dominated the ratings on Sunday night, doubling up the audience NBC got for its own coverage of the Stanley Cup Finals between the Chicago Blackhawks and Philadelphia Flyers. Overall, ABC's coverage of the Celtics' close Game 2 win averaged 12.3 million viewers, and a 5.0/13.7 rating in the 18-49 demographic. Meanwhile, NBC's coverage of the Blackhawks' high-scoring Game 5 win averaged 6 million viewers, and a 2.3/6 in 18-49.

Last edited by Honolulu_Blue : 06-07-2010 at 01:31 PM.
Old 06-07-2010, 02:57 PM   #619
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I'll take that. Not bad at all for the NHL. Like I said, as much of apples to apples as you're going to get. Sure one was game 5 and one game 2 but both series are in doubt. You have 2 big media markets in both sports. And they were at identical times on competing networks. I don't think you can get a closer comparison.

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 06-07-2010 at 02:58 PM.
Old 06-08-2010, 09:00 AM   #620
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
It was actually only a little worse than a 2:1 difference. Considering that Lakers/Celtics is THE marquee matchup in the NBA, I don't reckon that's too shaby at all.

TV Ratings: Celtics, ABC rise on Sunday night - HitFix.com

ABC's coverage of the Boston Celtics-Los Angeles Lakers NBA Finals rematch again dominated the ratings on Sunday night, doubling up the audience NBC got for its own coverage of the Stanley Cup Finals between the Chicago Blackhawks and Philadelphia Flyers. Overall, ABC's coverage of the Celtics' close Game 2 win averaged 12.3 million viewers, and a 5.0/13.7 rating in the 18-49 demographic. Meanwhile, NBC's coverage of the Blackhawks' high-scoring Game 5 win averaged 6 million viewers, and a 2.3/6 in 18-49.

Yeah, in comparison not bad at all.

On the other hand, what does it say about your situation when the Jimmy Kimmell NBA pre-pre-game at 7p gets a 2.6 and your game only gets a 2.3?

edit to add: More tellingly though, a 33% increase over last year illustrates how important major markets are to the NHL ratings on the networks.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 06-08-2010 at 09:01 AM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 09:45 AM   #621
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
On the other hand, what does it say about your situation when the Jimmy Kimmell NBA pre-pre-game at 7p gets a 2.6 and your game only gets a 2.3?

Nothing really all that new or surprising.

Quote:
edit to add: More tellingly though, a 33% increase over last year illustrates how important major markets are to the NHL ratings on the networks.

The same would hold true for most sports, no? Compare a Lakers/Celtics finals in the NBA with a finals between to smaller markets/lesser known teams. This is the marquee matchup in the NBA bar none.

Also, the fact that there is a 33% increase over last year also illustrates that the NHL should re-think its marketing philsophy a bit. The NHL has been trying to go the NBA route by marketing stars, and when I say stars, I mean Sidney Crosby and Alex Ovechkin. While both Chicago (Kane, Toews, Hossa, etc.) and Philly (Richards, Carter, Pronger, etc.) both have very good rosters and bankable talent, no one player on either team has really been marketed. Maybe you can say Kane to some extent, since he was a EA cover boy. Still, this should (but wont) give the NHL some pause when it's coming up with its marketing strategy.
Old 06-08-2010, 10:34 AM   #622
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

I've had a good time pointing out to Pittsburgh fans how the ratings are higher this year than last saying that this just proves that you can get good ratings without high profile stars.
Old 06-08-2010, 10:39 AM   #623
DataKing
Pro Rookie

Can we please move this thread onto the next page so I don't have to see Pierre's ugly mug every time I hit 'Home'
Diablo III (BattleTag: DataKing#1685)
Allegiances:
Chicago Bears - Detroit Red Wings - Kansas Jayhawks
Awards:
2011 Golden Scribe - Other Sports Category (The Straight(away) and Narrow - A Forza Motorsport 3 Dynasty)

Last edited by DataKing : 06-08-2010 at 10:39 AM.
DataKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 09:59 AM   #624
DataKing
Pro Rookie

Just noticed this showed up in yesterday's Chicago Tribune. I got a chuckle out of it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1ablog-prongerx-large.jpg (64.6 KB, 109 views)
Allegiances:
Awards:
2011 Golden Scribe - Other Sports Category (The Straight(away) and Narrow - A Forza Motorsport 3 Dynasty)
Old 06-09-2010, 10:08 AM   #625
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DataKing View Post
Just noticed this showed up in yesterday's Chicago Tribune. I got a chuckle out of it.

I heard about this. I really liked Angela Ruggiero's response to this:

"I'd like to see that editor out on skates. I'll take them one-on-one on the ice any day," Ruggiero said. "They obviously have never seen women's hockey and are living in the dark ages. ... Obviously it's offensive. It's disappointing more than anything."
Old 06-09-2010, 10:15 AM   #626
DataKing
Pro Rookie

My favorite bit is "100% - chance we'll change our minds if Hawks sign him"

So true.
Allegiances:
Awards:
Old 06-09-2010, 01:41 PM   #627
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

While I am no fan of the New Yorker (it tends to annoy me greatly more often than not) I read this article on Stanley Cup playoffs and this pretty much sums up excellently what I was getting at above:

The Sporting Scene: Watch the Puck : The New Yorker

"I’ve never much minded hockey’s cult status. TV revenues are of value only to those who profit from them. As long as the games are on somewhere, who cares whether nobody watches them. Yeah, yeah, I know: if no one watches them, they won’t be on long, but you—the three of you, anyway, who are reading a New Yorker hockey blog—get my point. Hockey is like jazz, or gin; not everyone has to get it."

I also agree with this:

"NBC spent twenty minutes or so before the opening face-off on inane filler, including, most egregiously, the now regular segment in which three of their commentators (Pierre McGuire, Mike Milbury, and Jeremy Roenick, who may be the three most blustery figures in the game, which is presumably why NBC has them on) don their skates and ostensibly reënact a key play from the previous game."

I saw about 2 minutes of this. I would have turned it off sooner, but I couldn't believe what I was watching and just kept thinking "No. They aren't going to do that, are they? Please don't try to reenact that.... Oh dear. No..."

Last edited by Honolulu_Blue : 06-09-2010 at 01:41 PM.
Old 06-09-2010, 01:50 PM   #628
DataKing
Pro Rookie

I pay zero attention to all the pre-game B.S. they show on television, and only have it on with the volume down low while doing other things so I know when they're going to actually drop the puck. Of course, I can say the same for the pre-game B.S. in most other sports as well. Just show me the damn game already.

But I'll forgive NBC and Versus for one simple reason; Emrick. It is an absolute joy to listen to him call a game. IMO, hearing him call a hockey game is akin to hearing Gus Johnson call a college hoops game. You'd be hard-pressed to find two guys who enjoy their jobs more than those two, and it shows in their voices and enthusiasm.

Now if some hockey-sympathetic bus driver would just find it in their heart to do the world a favor and run over Pierre...
Allegiances:
Awards:
Old 06-09-2010, 02:04 PM   #629
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Pay for my game ticket to tonight's game and I will do it. We are already old pals. But hurry, the last flight leaves Pittsburgh at 555pm for Philly.

Last edited by Dr. Sak : 06-09-2010 at 02:05 PM.
Old 06-09-2010, 04:31 PM   #630
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" width="390" height="320" id="Redlasso">
Old 06-09-2010, 04:32 PM   #631
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Triple Dola....why even play the game tonight?

Chicago Blackhawks: WGN is your home of the Chicago Blackhawks - WGN

Looks like WGN took the story down...here it is...

Quote:
For Blackhawks fans, it's not if, it's when. Destiny is in the air and the team is possibly a game away from causing its legion of fans to explode in celebration.

The city is anticipating a win and has planned a ticker tape parade Friday or Monday depending on when the Hawks clinch. Notice there's no wiggle room here, Hawk fans expect the team to bring home the Stanley Cup, something they haven't done since 1961.

If the Hawks win in Game 6 tonight, expect a Friday celebration. Should the Hawks lose tonight and win Friday, the city will have its celebration Monday.

Details about time and place haven't been disclosed, but if the White Sox winning the World Series is any indication, the Loop will be wall to wall people, so get there early. As in, if you want to see the actual Stanley Cup champions in person, dawn might be a good time to stake out a spot.

Last edited by Dr. Sak : 06-09-2010 at 04:33 PM.
Old 06-09-2010, 08:28 PM   #632
bhlloy
Coordinator

Boucher has got to be a better option than Leighton. Terrible goal to give up.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 08:56 PM   #633
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Flyers are out of gas.
Old 06-09-2010, 09:25 PM   #634
kingfc22
Head Coach

At the least the Flyers are pushing hard finally after spending half a period of doing nothing.
Old 06-09-2010, 09:36 PM   #635
kingfc22
Head Coach

Toews looked like he was limping after that goal...
Old 06-09-2010, 09:45 PM   #636
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Chicago was just sitting back and you had to expect Philly would come hard. Now it's time to see who can do what with OT

SI

Old 06-09-2010, 09:46 PM   #637
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

I have a distinct feeling this is going back to Chicago.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 09:51 PM   #638
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Win or lose...I love this team
Old 06-09-2010, 09:53 PM   #639
tyketime
College Benchwarmer

C'mon Rocky... get off the canvas one more time! Woo Hoo!
tyketime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 10:06 PM   #640
Galaxy
Coordinator

WTF?
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 10:07 PM   #641
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

HAWKS WIN!
illinifan999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 10:08 PM   #642
yacovfb
H.S. Freshman Team

Wow, what a weak goal and crazy weird ending. Kane was the only one who knew they won for a good few seconds there
yacovfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 10:11 PM   #643
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Congrats Chicago fans
Old 06-09-2010, 10:12 PM   #644
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Fireworks are rockin' in Chicago.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 10:13 PM   #645
Galaxy
Coordinator

Strange.

Like the booing of Gary. LOL.
Old 06-09-2010, 10:15 PM   #646
Galaxy
Coordinator

Did he just call Flyer' fans respectful?
Old 06-09-2010, 10:15 PM   #647
kingfc22
Head Coach

Philly fans never fail to live up to their stereotype. Stay classy Philadelphia.
Old 06-09-2010, 10:21 PM   #648
SackAttack
Head Coach

That might be the most glorious way to end the series I could've imagined.

A goal that leaves the fans wondering what the fuck is going on for a solid five minutes while the Blackhawks celebrate.

I love it.
Old 06-09-2010, 10:22 PM   #649
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

They can spend the offseason crying about people cheering the national anthem.

The great thing for the Blackhawks is that the core of this team is going to be around for many years. Pretty sure Toews, Kane, Keith, and Hossa are under contract for at least 4 more years.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 10:25 PM   #650
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfc22 View Post
Philly fans never fail to live up to their stereotype. Stay classy Philadelphia.

Not a fair comment. EVERYONE boos Bettman.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote