Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-17-2007, 09:45 PM   #601
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
You are feeling: Exhausted!
Fatigue Points: 11 (the 11th point was refueling at $1.85 per)
Miles To Go: 7 Miles

That's the one thing that just kills my ass about this game so far, ending up juuuuust short of the destination.

Yeah, I was something like 20 miles out with 11 fatigue. I used a quick rest, tho.
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 09:49 PM   #602
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobz0202 View Post
Yeah, I was something like 20 miles out with 11 fatigue. I used a quick rest, tho.

I quickrested last night to finish off a route before going to bed, I'd really hate to do it again unless I end up deciding to sleep before a couple of hours passes.
Old 07-17-2007, 11:52 PM   #603
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

So I've got the starter truck, 89 Kenwood K100. Right now it's
Overhaul Truck Condition: 75.0% (best overhaul condition)
Current Max Truck Condition: 74.1% (for standard repairs)
Current Truck Condition: 74.1%

To overhaul it to "best overhaul condition" would take me to 75% (and waste a bunch of money). But new tires "increases maximum truck condition +15%" and gives a couple of bad weather benefits too.

My questions are:
1) Would it really take my Current Max Truck Condition to 89.1% (i.e. +15) OR would it increase it by 15% of the current amount (about +11) OR is it capped at 75% and I'd really only gain 0.9?

2) Since max speed seems to decline as the condition of the truck deteriorates, would the new max condition in the 80's somewhere give me better than the sub-50 mph this truck provides when maxxed out to 75% where it was purchased? Or is that capped regardless of the truck condition?
Old 07-18-2007, 12:07 AM   #604
MrBigglesworth
College Starter

Quote:
So I've got the starter truck, 89 Kenwood K100. Right now it's
Overhaul Truck Condition: 75.0% (best overhaul condition)
Current Max Truck Condition: 74.1% (for standard repairs)
Current Truck Condition: 74.1%

To overhaul it to "best overhaul condition" would take me to 75% (and waste a bunch of money). But new tires "increases maximum truck condition +15%" and gives a couple of bad weather benefits too.

My questions are:
1) Would it really take my Current Max Truck Condition to 89.1% (i.e. +15) OR would it increase it by 15% of the current amount (about +11) OR is it capped at 75% and I'd really only gain 0.9?

2) Since max speed seems to decline as the condition of the truck deteriorates, would the new max condition in the 80's somewhere give me better than the sub-50 mph this truck provides when maxxed out to 75% where it was purchased? Or is that capped regardless of the truck condition?
For 1) it's either the second or third one, but I wouldn't spend the money either way, you should be able to afford a better truck in no time.
MrBigglesworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 12:23 AM   #605
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBigglesworth View Post
For 1) it's either the second or third one, but I wouldn't spend the money either way, you should be able to afford a better truck in no time.

I agree, I was just curious if anyone knew whether this was a possible unintended "feature". Seems as though it could be that, or something that's capped & therefore accomplishes nothing & I was just kind of curious. I'm too tired right now to try to work out the math on what you'd have to gain to actually break even or better on it (since presumably the same question exists with the next level of trucks too, unless those start at 100%)
Old 07-18-2007, 12:38 AM   #606
kingfc22
Head Coach

Got myself a new truck that can go 60 MPH. WOOT!!!
Old 07-18-2007, 12:58 AM   #607
Izulde
Head Coach

I think I'm going to be picking up a new truck sometime this week myself.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 02:58 AM   #608
daedalus
Pro Rookie

Wanna add me to the list, Frogster?
daedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 03:11 AM   #609
daedalus
Pro Rookie

according to one of my company's bulleting, tires is the best investment to make. i still have the stupid starter truck. hoping to change that soon since i finally got myself down to the southport area.
daedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 03:24 AM   #610
Brillig
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by daedalus View Post
according to one of my company's bulleting, tires is the best investment to make. i still have the stupid starter truck. hoping to change that soon since i finally got myself down to the southport area.

Yeah, my company has the same recommendation - I don't know if I buy it though. Once you upgrade out of the starter truck, you're going to be pushing the speed limit anyway. I'd rather spend my money on a fuel economy gadget.
Brillig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 06:50 AM   #611
dj_morton
H.S. Freshman Team

just signed up for this and Cyber Citzen..good so far
dj_morton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 07:01 AM   #612
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brillig View Post
Yeah, my company has the same recommendation - I don't know if I buy it though. Once you upgrade out of the starter truck, you're going to be pushing the speed limit anyway. I'd rather spend my money on a fuel economy gadget.

Thats what I chose to do. At a certain point, I'm not sure if its about who can deliver faster, its more about who can deliver more effeciently. I didn't sink a ton of money into fuel economy just yet, but I bought one item at least for this truck. Once we have our own company set up, I'll likely start working on a better truck and more items like that.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 07:15 AM   #613
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
I've gotten two tickets for being overweight when I go deep into 10+ FP territory, but I've only gone past 10 once and that was when I was trying to get to San Francisco on time and so, I just pushed it and I got there at 13 FP. But no way I do that again.

I go to 11 FP regularly and have yet to get a ticket or get in an accident at that level. I wrecked my truck when I went to 13 or 14 on my first route, but 11 has been safe for me so far...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 07:24 AM   #614
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by daedalus View Post
Wanna add me to the list, Frogster?

you are on the list, only it's sorted by Trukz username, so you are in the middle of the K's...

FM
Old 07-18-2007, 07:37 AM   #615
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD View Post
I go to 11 FP regularly and have yet to get a ticket or get in an accident at that level. I wrecked my truck when I went to 13 or 14 on my first route, but 11 has been safe for me so far...

I don't know if the more past 10 you are, the higher chance of getting an accident or ticket is, but this is partially why I listed certain cases where going past 10 is something I do. usually though I don't find that its worth it as you still have to rest off that fatigue anyways. Just if I need to beat a deadline, or its right before sleep or something for me where I will be away for many hours (10+) do I usually do it.
Old 07-18-2007, 08:01 AM   #616
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Anyone have a company yet?
stevew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 08:07 AM   #617
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Anyone have a company yet?

Not yet, some of us are around 7000 of the 10000 miles and closing in though. Probably another 2 days minimally.
Old 07-18-2007, 08:37 AM   #618
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

I'm currently 50 miles out of Jacksonville and resting just a bit. I'll probably have time to start one more haul with the top cargo before the night ends. Should I make another run to Southport so I can be totally rested for the move tomorrow, or should I haul to somewhere toward the middle of the country and hope that I am closer to the best city tomorrow?
BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 08:44 AM   #619
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
You are feeling: Exhausted!
Fatigue Points: 11 (the 11th point was refueling at $1.85 per)
Miles To Go: 7 Miles

That's the one thing that just kills my ass about this game so far, ending up juuuuust short of the destination.

I hate this too, and complained earlier in the thread. I was wondering if it was the same probability of something bad happening if you try to push it with 7 miles left, or with 200 miles left.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 08:44 AM   #620
MikeVic
Head Coach

Dola,

I'm at about $5000 and 5000 miles right now. But I plan on buying a new truck sometime this week.
Old 07-18-2007, 08:45 AM   #621
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianD View Post
I'm currently 50 miles out of Jacksonville and resting just a bit. I'll probably have time to start one more haul with the top cargo before the night ends. Should I make another run to Southport so I can be totally rested for the move tomorrow, or should I haul to somewhere toward the middle of the country and hope that I am closer to the best city tomorrow?

Without knowing what is going to change on Thursday, I would just go ahead and deliver the cargo to southport (but not the return trip to jacksonville) as that is the real money winner, plus it gets you a bit closer to alot of terminals. If the next money winner ends up being across country, then you just do that run starting out in southport. If it ends up being close by you haven't wasted going across country for nothing,
Old 07-18-2007, 09:12 AM   #622
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD View Post

I just got TWO overweight tickets while on 5 and then on 7. So clearly it's kinda random and if you're going way across the country, it becomes increasingly less lucrative or worthwhile to risk taking extra cargo while going that far. Should be a nobrainer maybe, but..I've learned the hard way that it's a bad idea.
Old 07-18-2007, 09:19 AM   #623
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Doing some quick math, I might be able to get from Jax to Southport and back to Jax in time to grab one more load at 10 FP before midnight. I wouldn't be able to start the trip to Southport until the next morning, but it only takes about 6 turns to complete the trip so I shouldn't have to worry about the penalty. Of course that means it will be mid-day before I can start any necessary cross-country runs. Maybe it would be better to lose a few turns and be fully rested tomorrow morning...or make myself stay up until midnight and start my journey to the top city then...
Old 07-18-2007, 09:37 AM   #624
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Doing some quick math, I might be able to get from Jax to Southport and back to Jax in time to grab one more load at 10 FP before midnight. I wouldn't be able to start the trip to Southport until the next morning, but it only takes about 6 turns to complete the trip so I shouldn't have to worry about the penalty. Of course that means it will be mid-day before I can start any necessary cross-country runs. Maybe it would be better to lose a few turns and be fully rested tomorrow morning...or make myself stay up until midnight and start my journey to the top city then...

I would say go for it. The jacksonville -> Southport glass run is about as good as anything you will get next update I imagine. Might as well take advantage of it by signing up one more run before it changes over (as long as you can do it safely without running late on your shipment)
Old 07-18-2007, 09:41 AM   #625
Ryche
College Benchwarmer

I'm in now, using the name Ryche. Debating whether to retire that when i can in a few days though to use my father's old CB handle, Idiot Stick.

Made my first run from Denver to LA, hauling grain. I think repairs I had to make on the truck ate up most of my profit, probably only made 150 or so. Heading up to Salt Lake City with a load of plastics tonight once I'm rested.

My father drove a truck cross country when I was growing up. Fell backwards off a flatbed trailer though and broke both of his wrists, that ended the long distance driving. He owns a little company in southern Minnesota now that mostly hauls grain and gravel short distances. He loves driving though, don't think he could imagine doing anything else with his life.
Old 07-18-2007, 09:44 AM   #626
Castlerock
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
I would say go for it. The jacksonville -> Southport glass run is about as good as anything you will get next update I imagine. Might as well take advantage of it by signing up one more run before it changes over (as long as you can do it safely without running late on your shipment)
I agree. You would turning down a known great run to maybe be able to pick up some unknown run later. Haul Glass.
Castlerock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 11:15 AM   #627
Brillig
College Prospect

1997 Freightliner FLD120
Top Speed: 70 MPH
Condition: 90%
Odometer: 754,114 Miles
Fuel Capacity: 220
MPG: 6.20
Price: $11,350.00

My new ride - 70 MPH, eat my dust, suckers
Old 07-18-2007, 12:03 PM   #628
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Ugh, had some bad luck and had excessive wear on my truck which caused my max mph drop by 3 on this trip. That combined with the horrible rain has now made it possible for me to end up 3 miles short on my trip. So an extra hour spent for 3 hours. ugh!

That makes me wonder something else.. is the weather patterns consistant in the game? ie: two people driving through the same area at the same time will have consistant weather? or is it all just rng and you get what you get?
Old 07-18-2007, 12:06 PM   #629
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Got $1700 in the bank, Truck worth $2200, and 3% gas .. Think it's possible to move up to the next level truck if I take a loan?
Old 07-18-2007, 12:20 PM   #630
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

One of these days i should stop 7 miles from a receiver and say i have to take my 10 hr break. I am guessing my company, shipper, and receiver would all be just fine with it. lol
Old 07-18-2007, 12:21 PM   #631
Brillig
College Prospect

If your truck has minor wear and tear, repairing it can increase the resale value many times more than the repair fee.

But... you can only get one $1000 loan per day, and you want $6000 total, in order to move up to the Volvo which most folks are using as the next step. Looks like you may be a little short. Did you do the web-link offer yet?
Old 07-18-2007, 12:30 PM   #632
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
If your truck has minor wear and tear, repairing it can increase the resale value many times more than the repair fee.

But... you can only get one $1000 loan per day, and you want $6000 total, in order to move up to the Volvo which most folks are using as the next step. Looks like you may be a little short. Did you do the web-link offer yet?

Truck now valued at $2,617.07 with $1,692.29 in my pocket.

A loan would leave me $500 short

I haven't done the link offer yet, but I don't have any Webspace to link to, sadly.
Old 07-18-2007, 12:32 PM   #633
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post

I haven't done the link offer yet, but I don't have any Webspace to link to, sadly.

pages.google.com
Old 07-18-2007, 12:33 PM   #634
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post

Get a free myspace account or something. thats what I did.
Old 07-18-2007, 12:45 PM   #635
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Submitted a link using an old LiveJournal account I had

Hope it works..
Old 07-18-2007, 12:52 PM   #636
Celeval
Pro Starter

I submitted a link; if it goes through then I should be able to jump from starter truck to one of the $9k ones tonight or tomorrow.
Celeval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 12:59 PM   #637
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

All of this truck upgrading is probably slowing down our bid to create a FOFC company, but I think it is a good thing. People should really decide if the game is worth sticking with before we create the company, and better trucks is probably the way to decide that.
Old 07-18-2007, 01:09 PM   #638
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
I just began a 3,069 mile treck from Southport to Prince George hauling beer.

The trip should net me over $2500.00

still on the road...
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 01:11 PM   #639
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

1339 miles to go and currently exausted
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 01:11 PM   #640
Izulde
Head Coach

my rickety starter truck has broken down twice during the last two short runs I've made.

...Ugh, at 5962 when you add in cash and truck value.

Looks like I'm going to have to make one more run with this old thing.

I'll wait until midnight though, when the cargo changes over, cuz I'm at 15 FP now anyway.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 01:13 PM   #641
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Old 07-18-2007, 01:15 PM   #642
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
All of this truck upgrading is probably slowing down our bid to create a FOFC company, but I think it is a good thing. People should really decide if the game is worth sticking with before we create the company, and better trucks is probably the way to decide that.

Eh, only one of us has to not buy a new truck. I went with the most expensive truck off the bat and really don't have any interest in the Volvo for a 2nd truck. If I'm not the one to start a company then I'll have enough money saved up for the Freightliner that brillig got, or possibly even:

1997 Kenworth W900
Top Speed: 77 MPH
Condition: 93%
Odometer: 650,335 Miles
Fuel Capacity: 240
Price: $13,000.00

which I am thinking would hold me over for quite awhile
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 01:26 PM   #643
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
Eh, only one of us has to not buy a new truck. I went with the most expensive truck off the bat and really don't have any interest in the Volvo for a 2nd truck. If I'm not the one to start a company then I'll have enough money saved up for the Freightliner that brillig got, or possibly even:

1997 Kenworth W900
Top Speed: 77 MPH
Condition: 93%
Odometer: 650,335 Miles
Price: $13,000.00

which I am thinking would hold me over for quite awhile

That is kind of my approach.. I am 1 hour away from about 7000 miles and $3000 I figure if I don't start the company , then my truck will be worth close to $5000, and I'll have another $6k or so and will just buy a bigger truck at that point.

The one I am looking at getting next though is:

1997 Peterbilt 378
Top Speed: 68 MPH
Condition: 85%
Odometer: 995,003 Miles
MPG: 6.30
Price: $11,000.00
Old 07-18-2007, 01:54 PM   #644
vex
Grizzled Veteran

2 gems in a row on the trukz forum:

Rezerxtion
Posted: Jul 17 2007, 06:49 PM

Group: Members
Member No.: 436

You will only receive a speeding ticket if you're speeding over the speed limit,the more you're speeding,the more of a chance you will get a ticket.

cowsareawesom
Posted: Jul 17 2007, 06:51 PM

Admin's Admin

Group: Members
Member No.: 170

there RAMDEN they happen RAMDENLY fagitive dosent matter
vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 01:57 PM   #645
Brillig
College Prospect

Both cowsareawesom and MarionOaks are "special" over there.
Old 07-18-2007, 02:06 PM   #646
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

For some reason I take great enjoyment in people who don't really know the words they are using but type them out as they hear them. Sometimes it is an idiom they get wrong and other times it is something like "ramden". I may be a bad person, but it make me laugh.
Old 07-18-2007, 02:07 PM   #647
duckman
Pro Starter

I'm in as Duckman.
“One of the consequences of such notions as "entitlements" is that people who have contributed nothing to society feel that society owes them something, apparently just for being nice enough to grace us with their presence.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexis de Tocqueville
“Democracy and socialism have nothing in common but one word, equality. But notice the difference: while democracy seeks equality in liberty, socialism seeks equality in restraint and servitude.”
duckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 02:08 PM   #648
vex
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Both cowsareawesom and MarionOaks are "special" over there.

Don't forget 13 yr old zax.
vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 02:11 PM   #649
MikeVic
Head Coach

LOL, those two posts made me laugh too.

Radii - I'm trying to save for that truck too. About half-way there.
Old 07-18-2007, 02:12 PM   #650
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Has anybody done any calculations on truck depreciation? My nearly $10k truck lost a little over $1k in the short time I've had it, though I'd guess most of that was an immediate depretiation. Seems like getting all but $1k back will make it easier to step up the line in trucks pretty quickly.