Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-13-2007, 06:59 AM   #601
KWhit
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post
Echo what VPI and EF27 said. If some of the Falcons players are reacting like this, it is fair to say that the backlash Petrino is getting is not an overreaction.

WR Brian Finneran had a LOT of negative stuff to say about him on an Atlanta radio station he co-hosts this morning. And he is one of the really good guys on the team, a high-character guy like Dunn who you would never expect to say something negative like that.
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 07:22 AM   #602
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
And not just the "me first" players either. When Warrick Dunn and Lawyer Milloy are pissed off, I tend to listen to what they have to say.

It takes a lot to make Meangelo Hall look like the good guy in a situation (and I mean a LOT) but lo & behold, Ball-less Bobby has accomplished it.
Old 12-13-2007, 07:23 AM   #603
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

It's staggering what kind of life this story has taken on at this point. The only other coaching move I can think of that got this kind of press (and even it not as much) was, of course, Saban. I just don't understand how this is so off the wall different than most other coaching moves and why it gets such the big media attention. It looks ugly because we've drug out every painstaking detail about the story, but if we did that with all of them, they would all look ugly. It's like the sports media had a slow news day so they wanted to milk this for a couple of days like major news networks and a missing spring breaker story.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 07:29 AM   #604
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
I just don't understand how this is so off the wall different than most other coaching moves and why it gets such the big media attention. It looks ugly because we've drug out every painstaking detail about the story, but if we did that with all of them, they would all look ugly.

*cough*Billy Gillispie*cough*

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 07:32 AM   #605
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I just don't understand how this is so off the wall different than most other coaching moves

I assume you mean "other than it being the shortest tenure for an NFL coach since 1971"
Old 12-13-2007, 07:32 AM   #606
Ragone
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
It takes a lot to make Meangelo Hall look like the good guy in a situation (and I mean a LOT) but lo & behold, Ball-less Bobby has accomplished it.

Wasn't this the same Meangelo hall that was telling Sean Payton he'd play for min salary to get away from the falcons on monday night?
Ragone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 07:34 AM   #607
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragone View Post
Wasn't this the same Meangelo hall that was telling Sean Payton he'd play for min salary to get away from the falcons on monday night?

At no time did I say Meangelo was a good guy ... just that Petrino made him look better by comparison in this situation

(if you go up the thread a bit, you'll find where I used Meangelo & "vermin" in the same sentence)

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 12-13-2007 at 07:34 AM.
JonInMiddleGA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 07:36 AM   #608
Ragone
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
At no time did I say Meangelo was a good guy ... just that Petrino made him look better by comparison in this situation

(if you go up the thread a bit, you'll find where I used Meangelo & "vermin" in the same sentence)

Clearly i agree, which is why i found it odd that petrino and him didn't get along..

Oh, and a guy i work with son is probably one of the top linebackers in missouri, after i told him about good old petrino he said.. and i quote

"i won't let that man in my house, around my kid, hell i wouldn't even let him pet my dog"

So he faces a even greater uphill battle then Saban had i think

Last edited by Ragone : 12-13-2007 at 07:39 AM.
Old 12-13-2007, 07:41 AM   #609
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
"... hell i wouldn't even let him pet my dog"

QFT (since I'm LMAO)
Old 12-13-2007, 07:52 AM   #610
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
It's staggering what kind of life this story has taken on at this point. The only other coaching move I can think of that got this kind of press (and even it not as much) was, of course, Saban. I just don't understand how this is so off the wall different than most other coaching moves and why it gets such the big media attention. It looks ugly because we've drug out every painstaking detail about the story, but if we did that with all of them, they would all look ugly. It's like the sports media had a slow news day so they wanted to milk this for a couple of days like major news networks and a missing spring breaker story.

SI

I don't remember another coach informing his players that he was leaving them by a letter, instead of standing up in front of them to tell them the news, which is what a man would do.

I also don't remember hearing about another coach who, less than 24 hours before resigning in said chicken-shit manner, had the following engagement with his boss:

Quote:
That was followed by a series of meetings over the weekend in which Petrino laid out some areas of concern, and the Falcons thought they had addressed them all. In fact, Blank said he met again with the coach on Monday, just hours before Atlanta's 34-14 loss to the New Orleans Saints, to make sure he wasn't planning to leave.

"He stood up, we shook hands and he said, 'You have a head coach,' " Blank said.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 08:49 AM   #611
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:

SI

Really?

Paul Johnson left Navy to go to Ga Tech. Navy was at the very least aware that Ga Tech wanted to talk to him and more than likely granted that permission. When he decided to take the job, he told his bosses at Navy and he stood before his players and told them he was going to take the Ga. Tech job. Of course he did all of that after the regular season was over. Similar things can be said for Paul Wulf going from Eastern Washington to Wash. State, Larry Fedora going from OC at Okla State to Southern Miss, Bo Pelini from DC at LSU to Nebraska.

Now, let's look at the pros.

Steve Fairchild(an NFL guy) was just hired to be the head coach for Colorado State. Again, the Bills were at the very least aware that he was talking with CSU. Again, I am assuming that Fairchild will stand before the Bills offensive players and tell them he is going to CSU. Now he is a pro coach and their regular season is not over. No problem. I quote from this ESPN article.

Quote:
Fairchild won't leave the Bills until after the season. The Bills (7-6) are in the middle of the AFC playoff race with three games remaining in the regular season.

"I do appreciate CSU and the Bills for allowing me to finish out my responsibilities here in Buffalo prior to assuming my new role," Fairchild said.

Colorado State officials understand his commitment to the Bills.

"We knew from the outset and were comfortable with the dedication he has to his team," said CSU athletic director Paul Kowalczyk, who will have an introductory teleconference with Fairchild on Thursday. "It is that type of value system -- commitment, integrity, honesty, accountability and responsibility -- that had him at the top of our list since the beginning."

So he will finish out the season and then move on. Same can be said for Mike Sherman.

It seems to me that the way Petrino went about this is the exception rather than the rule at least this year.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946

Last edited by miami_fan : 12-13-2007 at 08:54 AM.
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 08:51 AM   #612
Ragone
Pro Rookie

I'd set the over/under on petrino at 1 1/2 years to resign/be fired..
Old 12-13-2007, 08:53 AM   #613
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
And if I heard correctly, Petrino isn't going to coach the bowl game, so there really wasn't any reason he couldn't have split time between the two jobs until the end of the season like Fairchild and Sherman are doing.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 09:16 AM   #614
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Petrino is a piece of doogie-doo on the bottom of Arthur Blank's shoe. The Falcons are a train wreck as an NFL franchise, but they are better off without that two-faced lemon sucker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud
None of this shit is personal. It's the internet.
RomaGoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 03:35 PM   #615
timmynausea
College Starter

Louisville's top running back, Anthony Allen, was granted a conditional release to transfer today. He can go anywhere but another Big East school or Arkansas, which I thought was funny.
timmynausea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 03:37 PM   #616
Logan
Head Coach

Or any school they're playing in the next 3 years.
Old 12-13-2007, 05:16 PM   #617
IMetTrentGreen
College Prospect

I have an unnatural love for this thread.
IMetTrentGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 06:07 PM   #618
vex
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmynausea View Post
Louisville's top running back, Anthony Allen, was granted a conditional release to transfer today. He can go anywhere but another Big East school or Arkansas, which I thought was funny.

That is pretty funny.
vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 06:18 PM   #619
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Sounds like OU's assistant OC Kevin Sumlin is going to be the next coach at U of Houston.
Old 12-13-2007, 06:20 PM   #620
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Arkansas was listed specifically or included in the 3 year provision, Ive heard conflicting reports and dont feel like googling their schedule
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 06:24 PM   #621
Celeval
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
I also don't remember hearing about another coach who, less than 24 hours before resigning in said chicken-shit manner, had the following engagement with his boss:
Quote:
"He stood up, we shook hands and he said, 'You have a head coach,' " Blank said.

Blank didn't realize Petrino was specifically talking about for that night's game.
Celeval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 06:28 PM   #622
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
Sounds like OU's assistant OC Kevin Sumlin is going to be the next coach at U of Houston.

Sumlin becomes the 5th assistant coach at OU to get a head coaching job since Stoops arrived:

Mike Leach - Texas Tech
Mark Mangino - Kansas
Mike Stoops - Arizona
Chuck Long - San Diego State
Kevin Sumlin - Houston
Vegas Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 06:56 PM   #623
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Vic View Post
Sumlin becomes the 5th assistant coach at OU to get a head coaching job since Stoops arrived:

What a coincidence.

Bobby Petrino has also had five jobs since Stoops arrived.
Old 12-13-2007, 07:05 PM   #624
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

bwaahahahahah
Old 12-13-2007, 07:31 PM   #625
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Again, there continue to be fans like MJ4H (as well as that Mizzou fan here) that confirms the presence of psychological issues. What a moron to take these things so seriously.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 09:14 PM   #626
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

idk I probably come acrosss as serious on the Clemson boards, but I am surrounded there by just as many rabid fans of my team. Here it just seems so fan boyish and out of place...
Old 12-13-2007, 09:39 PM   #627
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
idk I probably come acrosss as serious on the Clemson boards, but I am surrounded there by just as many rabid fans of my team. Here it just seems so fan boyish and out of place...

+1 WVU

There are plenty of Mountaineer fans that are crtical of our coach and his playcalling, even after he's delivered the best 4-year winning percentage in the school's history, by far. I think people fail to realize that success is not a consistent, upward path, so they fail to enjoy what success we do have.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 09:44 PM   #628
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

BTW my last post was prior to my reading MJ4H's goodbye thread....No defense or offense meant there in any way.

Last edited by CU Tiger : 12-13-2007 at 10:10 PM.
Old 12-13-2007, 10:42 PM   #629
Anthony
Banned

Quote:
we need a photoshopped image of the iraqi information minister with petrino's face..

Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 11:57 PM   #630
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hell Atlantic View Post

It might've taken 7+ years, but you finally contributed something meaningful to FOFC.
Old 12-14-2007, 12:00 AM   #631
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Poor guy, they are trying to dust his face.
Old 12-14-2007, 06:34 AM   #632
Ragone
Pro Rookie

Thanks Hell Atlantic, that'll be my background wallpaper for awhile
Old 12-14-2007, 06:36 AM   #633
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cringer View Post
Poor guy, they are trying to dust his face.

Either that or Don King and Kid from Kid and Play are in the front row asking questions.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 12-14-2007 at 06:37 AM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 09:21 AM   #634
cartman
Death Herald

Sounds like David Cutcliffe is going to be offered the Duke job.
Old 12-14-2007, 09:22 AM   #635
MJ4H
Coordinator

Here is an interesting new take. Petrino's agent fires back:

http://www.al.com/sports/birminghamn...590.xml&coll=2

Excerpt below:

Friday, December 14, 2007

Russ Campbell has watched Bobby Petrino take shot after shot since leaving the Atlanta Falcons for Arkansas.

On Thursday, Campbell, who represents Petrino, fired back.

"Bobby Petrino was blindsided," Campbell told me in a 30-minute phone conversation. "I was blindsided. Arkansas was blindsided."

How so? Campbell said from the time they hired Petrino last January and signed him to a contract without a buyout, the Falcons assured the coach of something. They would not stand in his way should he decide to return to the college game.

Campbell said Falcons owner Arthur Blank reiterated that pledge to Petrino "two or three weeks ago."

Atlanta's attitude changed Monday, Campbell said, "and it wasn't a subtle change. They said, if you leave, we've got to fight you."

Last week, Campbell said, Arkansas called him to express serious interest in Petrino and he told Falcons General Manager Rich McKay that Petrino wanted to talk to Arkansas.

On Sunday, Campbell said, he told McKay that some of Petrino's issues with the Falcons were "irreparable."

"I told him," Campbell said, "you can't fix the fact that he's miserable in the NFL and his family's miserable in Atlanta."

MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 09:47 AM   #636
Logan
Head Coach

I'm sorry...I see no reason at all why an NFL team would basically say "It's okay for you to leave us high and dry for a college job." It makes no sense.
Old 12-14-2007, 09:49 AM   #637
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
I'm sorry...I see no reason at all why an NFL team would basically say "It's okay for you to leave us high and dry for a college job." It makes no sense.

Exactly. It is ridiculous to think an NFL team would allow a coach to leave in the middle of his 1st season or at any time he chose. Seems like a pathetic attempt at spin control.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 09:58 AM   #638
st.cronin
General Manager

On the other hand, it would've been easy to negotiate a contract which would make it hard, or even impossible to take a college job. If that proved to be a sticking point in negotiations, then "ding ding ding" should sound in your head.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 09:58 AM   #639
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celeval View Post
Blank didn't realize Petrino was specifically talking about for that night's game.

LMAO

Quote:
Old 12-14-2007, 10:01 AM   #640
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

I heard a rumor that Michigan is looking at Bill Cowher, Larry Coker, Kirk Ferentz, and the guy from Ball State. My take on this is:

No Can Do, No Thanks, No Way, and Hell No.

Quote:
Old 12-14-2007, 10:04 AM   #641
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaGoth View Post
I heard a rumor that Michigan is looking at Bill Cowher, Larry Coker, Kirk Ferentz, and the guy from Ball State. My take on this is:

No Can Do, No Thanks, No Way, and Hell No.

All of those sound horrible except maybe Cowher. God, I don't want to see that guy's face every week for another 10 years. Him being relegated to NFL Today duty is just fine with me.
Old 12-14-2007, 10:05 AM   #642
MJ4H
Coordinator

Is Lane Kiffin being talked about for Michigan at all?
Old 12-14-2007, 10:13 AM   #643
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattJones4Heisman View Post
Is Lane Kiffin being talked about for Michigan at all?

Not that I've heard. The one NFL name I keep hearing is Cam Cameron. No me gusta.

The latest I read about was that Michigan was interested in Delaware's head coch, KC Keeler. Perhaps he'd be comfortable with the change given the similarity between the helmets and all.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 10:22 AM   #644
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
Not that I've heard. The one NFL name I keep hearing is Cam Cameron. No me gusta.

The latest I read about was that Michigan was interested in Delaware's head coch, KC Keeler. Perhaps he'd be comfortable with the change given the similarity between the helmets and all.

Cam Cameron? You cannot be serious.

Michigan going the Jim Tressel route would really not surprise me and would probably be the best move if the best they can come up with right now is Cam Cameron and Kirk Ferentz. Hope it wouldn't be as successful though.
Old 12-14-2007, 10:25 AM   #645
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Cam Cameron? You cannot be serious.

Michigan going the Jim Tressel route would really not surprise me and would probably be the best move if the best they can come up with right now is Cam Cameron and Kirk Ferentz. Hope it wouldn't be as successful though.

Oh, please please let Michigan be stupid enough to hire Cameron. And right now so he can hit the recruiting trail! I promise us Dolphins fans won't Petrino him.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 10:44 AM   #646
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
All of those sound horrible except maybe Cowher. God, I don't want to see that guy's face every week for another 10 years. Him being relegated to NFL Today duty is just fine with me.

Cowher has made no secret that he wanted to live with/near his daughter until he finished college, in light of the troubles his good freind Andy Reid has experienced. His daughter is at NC State, and Ann Arbor really isnt close to there. Id say no danger here for 3 more years.

noww John Fox maybe should worry, the Cowher's did just buy house in Charlotte NC (actually Waxhaw 10 miles away) and I have 3 guys there today adding 2 home theater rooms and more damn TVs than Ive ever seen (BTW we did Fox's home as well when I worked for a national company before starting my own) All I can say is that man plans to wwatch somee damn film or something with the 3 TV drops in the MASTER BATH!!!
Old 12-14-2007, 10:45 AM   #647
miami_fan
Coordinator

Hypothetical question.

What if Vick would have blown out his knee in April and could not play for two years as opposed to going to jail? Would it have been appropriate for Petrino or is it appropriate for any coach to leave a team in the manner Petrino left?
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 10:48 AM   #648
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
Oh, please please let Michigan be stupid enough to hire Cameron. And right now so he can hit the recruiting trail! I promise us Dolphins fans won't Petrino him.

Old 12-14-2007, 10:50 AM   #649
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattJones4Heisman View Post
I thought you were leaving...
Chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 10:50 AM   #650
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
Hypothetical question.

What if Vick would have blown out his knee in April and could not play for two years as opposed to going to jail? Would it have been appropriate for Petrino or is it appropriate for any coach to leave a team in the manner Petrino left?

The latter.

I don't think Vick's absence has anything to do with the manner in which Petrino left.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote