Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-28-2011, 04:10 PM   #6501
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
One thing to also consider is the conferences could try and put games on their respective networks to force cable companies hands into putting them on cable. If the Big Ten Network can get traction in California for instance, well why even bother expanding anymore?

My first thought was that it was a push to get Big Ten Network on basic cable in Pac 12 country and vice verse for the Pac 12. I'd expect there will be one big matchup on national TV and then the next best games are going to be on either BTN or Pac 12 Network.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 04:12 PM   #6502
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
ESPN_BigTen Rittenberg/Bennett
Big piece of story: Big Ten will re-evaluate whether to go with nine conference games beginning in 2017. Could be tough now.

If they go to 9 it would probably lead to few Big Ten teams playing other big conferences because they would likely be unwilling to give up a home game for the two games they can schedule. I'd be curious to see if Iowa would want to continue to play Iowa State every year or anyone would want to play Notre Dame regularly.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 04:26 PM   #6503
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
@PeteThamelNYT Also interesting: Pac-12 and Big Ten are open to discussion about creating a bowl game to play on their networks.

The NCAA would have to lift their moratorium on approving additional bowl games first. Considering one of their biggest concerns is that new standards will mean years when there aren't enough eligible teams to fill all the contractual slots, approval of a new bowl doesn't seem like something they'll be in a hurry to do until some of the existing ones die off.
Old 12-28-2011, 05:54 PM   #6504
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
The NCAA would have to lift their moratorium on approving additional bowl games first. Considering one of their biggest concerns is that new standards will mean years when there aren't enough eligible teams to fill all the contractual slots, approval of a new bowl doesn't seem like something they'll be in a hurry to do until some of the existing ones die off.

Take Bowl #1 where a Pac-12 team goes and Bowl #2 where a Big Ten team goes. Wait for their contracts to run out and then use either of the bowls for a Pac-12/Big Ten game.
Old 12-28-2011, 07:33 PM   #6505
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckerney View Post
My first thought was that it was a push to get Big Ten Network on basic cable in Pac 12 country and vice verse for the Pac 12. I'd expect there will be one big matchup on national TV and then the next best games are going to be on either BTN or Pac 12 Network.

This is what it seems like to me, too: something to make both networks carried in other parts of the country.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 11:09 AM   #6506
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckerney View Post
If they go to 9 it would probably lead to few Big Ten teams playing other big conferences because they would likely be unwilling to give up a home game for the two games they can schedule. I'd be curious to see if Iowa would want to continue to play Iowa State every year or anyone would want to play Notre Dame regularly.

I believe Iowa has specifically come out and said there will be no 9 game conference schedule and they will continue playing ISU.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 11:37 AM   #6507
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
Take Bowl #1 where a Pac-12 team goes and Bowl #2 where a Big Ten team goes. Wait for their contracts to run out and then use either of the bowls for a Pac-12/Big Ten game.

Except that the o.p. said "creating a bowl game", not "working out a new TV deal & conference agreement with an existing bowl game"
Old 12-29-2011, 12:16 PM   #6508
tarcone
Coordinator

B1G and PAC 12 positioning themselves as Kings of College. They will have a schedule for football by 2017 where one B1G faces a PAC12. Every school will partcipate. They will set up more games between member schools in Womens and Olympic sports.
Both Commisioners see this as a better option then expanding. In 10 years you may see you 1st "super conference".
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 12:21 PM   #6509
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

If I'm the SEC, I'm looking for a dance partner and the likely choice would be the Big 12. Any other partnership doesn't really compare.

Last edited by Matthean : 12-29-2011 at 12:21 PM.
Matthean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 12:27 PM   #6510
Ksyrup

Can they do that now, at least not without a few years passing due to hard feelings? And the Big 12 picking up a couple more teams? They could have done this with Mizzou and aTm staying, picking up WVU and someone else, and having 2 12-team conferences to pair up. Kudos to the Big 10 and Pac 12 for coming up with a reasonable solution/alternative to expansion.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 12-29-2011 at 12:27 PM.
Old 12-29-2011, 12:36 PM   #6511
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Actually, the number of teams does make it an issue. I would still think if this pans out for the Pac 12/Big Ten, other conferences would do something similar.
Old 12-29-2011, 12:52 PM   #6512
Swaggs
Coordinator

I tend to think that the SEC would rather have their home games, against cupcakes, rather than forming a partnership like this. Alabama, LSU, Georgia, and most of the rest are going to sell out their home games regardless, so I have a tough time thinking that they'd trade a home game for a potential road game against non-Texas (and probably Oklahoma) Big 12 teams or non-Florida or rival games against ACC teams.
Swaggs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 01:40 PM   #6513
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
I tend to think that the SEC would rather have their home games, against cupcakes, rather than forming a partnership like this. Alabama, LSU, Georgia, and most of the rest are going to sell out their home games regardless, so I have a tough time thinking that they'd trade a home game for a potential road game against non-Texas (and probably Oklahoma) Big 12 teams or non-Florida or rival games against ACC teams.

Why risk a game against Oklahoma State or Texas Tech when you can play Kent State, North Texas, and Georgia Southern (and, yes, Penn State) and still get to the BCS Championship game?

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 12-31-2011 at 01:40 PM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 09:34 PM   #6514
Swaggs
Coordinator

Some smoke coming out that the Big 12 is going to add Louisville and take one last swing at BYU to form a 12 team conference and that Texas' AD has come around in recent weeks.
Old 01-10-2012, 05:51 PM   #6515
Ksyrup

I sure hope WVU is able to wrap up the Big East stuff, because both WVU and FSU want out of next year's game but can't break it because the Big East wants it. They both want out because there's no reason to add another difficult OOC game to the schedule, plus the return game in 2013 would leave FSU with only 6 homes games, which doesn't work monetarily.
Old 01-10-2012, 06:05 PM   #6516
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
I sure hope WVU is able to wrap up the Big East stuff, because both WVU and FSU want out of next year's game but can't break it because the Big East wants it. They both want out because there's no reason to add another difficult OOC game to the schedule, plus the return game in 2013 would leave FSU with only 6 homes games, which doesn't work monetarily.

From everything I have heard, WVU will end up paying a $250K buyout and next season's will be gone (not sure if that constitutes an end to the two game series or if FSU will have to do likewise or if they will just agree to dump both).
Old 01-10-2012, 07:21 PM   #6517
Ksyrup

I've heard it entirely depends on whether they get out of the Big East. Those games were scheduled as part of the settlement of the VT/UM/BC defections, and the Big East still wants them for the TV draw.

I hope your info means it's just a matter of when, not if, the Big East lawsuits are resolved.
Old 01-10-2012, 07:33 PM   #6518
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
I've heard it entirely depends on whether they get out of the Big East. Those games were scheduled as part of the settlement of the VT/UM/BC defections, and the Big East still wants them for the TV draw.

I hope your info means it's just a matter of when, not if, the Big East lawsuits are resolved.

FWIW, Greg Swaim said he was told by some ESPN and Fox execs at the Fiesta Bowl that things should be wrapped up by March and that WVU will be in the Big 12 next season. I still haven't seen a knowledgeable person close to WVU that expects to be in the Big East next year. I haven't even seen it mentioned as a possibility.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 07:51 PM   #6519
Ksyrup

I'd probably trust TV people to be more in the know than school sources.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 01-10-2012 at 07:51 PM.
Old 01-10-2012, 07:53 PM   #6520
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
FWIW, Greg Swaim said he was told by some ESPN and Fox execs at the Fiesta Bowl that things should be wrapped up by March and that WVU will be in the Big 12 next season. I still haven't seen a knowledgeable person close to WVU that expects to be in the Big East next year. I haven't even seen it mentioned as a possibility.

Yup.

I don't claim to understand all of the legal wrangling going on, but it seems unlikely that there will be an injunction (and if it is, it will be after schedules come out). So, short of the Rhode Island judge somehow sending out state troopers to stop the team from playing their Big 12 scheduled games, I don't see how they can stop WVU from leaving.

Now, what WVU will have to pay in compensation is another story altogether. Hopefully, our AD and lawyers know what they are doing.
Old 01-10-2012, 08:56 PM   #6521
General Mike
Pro Starter

If there is an injunction and you play games, the damages against WVU and the Big 12 are going to be sky high. If you want to get $5 million more short term to lose 30 million long term, fine.
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 09:07 PM   #6522
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Mike View Post
If there is an injunction and you play games, the damages against WVU and the Big 12 are going to be sky high. If you want to get $5 million more short term to lose 30 million long term, fine.

They could be sky high or they could be much less than WVU is currently offering. Any trial ruling has that type of volatility as a possibility, which is why neither side is likely to let it get to that point.

WVU has made considerable counter claims (some silly and some quite substantial) against the Big East, as well.

I'm not crazy about our exit strategy, but if WVU playing in the Big 12 in 2012 was one of the big reasons why we were invited over other programs, I'm fine with it (particularly when it appears that the current BCS model will be gone within the next year or two and the Big East leftovers will no longer have access to top tier bowls).
Old 01-10-2012, 10:25 PM   #6523
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
I'd probably trust TV people to be more in the know than school sources.

The TV people are probably the most in the know people in this whole thing. That's why I'm trusting what people around the school are saying since it matches up with what Swaim said the execs were telling him.
Old 01-13-2012, 01:13 AM   #6524
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Oops...............

Error reveals athletic department spent millions less on football than reported | The Columbia Daily Tribune - Columbia, Missouri
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 05:23 PM   #6525
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Is there an ongoing record attempt on FOFC for number of times the same article is posted on the board?
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 05:38 PM   #6526
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Is there an ongoing record attempt on FOFC for number of times the same article is posted on the board?

I dunno - what are you selling today, Baghdad Bob?
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 07:13 PM   #6527
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapshoot View Post
I dunno - what are you selling today, Baghdad Bob?

Just amused that a fan of the king of spending is pointing out that his team lost to a school that was spending even less than we originally thought and is posting it after it's already been posted twice on this board.

That's about it for today, Chip.
Old 01-13-2012, 08:40 PM   #6528
miked
College Starter

Quote:

Right, with WVU playing Marshall and James Madison, I guess they don't want a real OOC opponent. FSU's is tough with WVU, USF, and UF. Though USF isn't that great and UF doesn't appear to be all that much currently.

Maybe RU should schedule a better OOC opponent instead of Kent State, Howard, Army, and Tulane.
Old 01-13-2012, 08:53 PM   #6529
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked View Post
Right, with WVU playing Marshall and James Madison, I guess they don't want a real OOC opponent. FSU's is tough with WVU, USF, and UF. Though USF isn't that great and UF doesn't appear to be all that much currently.

Maybe RU should schedule a better OOC opponent instead of Kent State, Howard, Army, and Tulane.

WVU doesn't have a choice. A game has to be bought out or there's going to be 13 on the schedule. The James Madison game is at Fed Ex field so there's no getting out of it. The Marshall game is played by state mandate (WVU doesn't want to play the series) and is a much needed home game on next year's schedule. There is a buyout in the contract for it, but WVU will need the home game and it would create a political mess if there was an attempt to buy the game out.

Last edited by Atocep : 01-13-2012 at 08:53 PM.
Old 01-14-2012, 12:30 AM   #6530
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Just amused that a fan of the king of spending is pointing out that his team lost to a school that was spending even less than we originally thought and is posting it after it's already been posted twice on this board.

That's about it for today, Chip.

Your reading comprehension sucks.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 04:34 PM   #6531
Swaggs
Coordinator

Big East invites Princeton football - The Daily Princetonian
Old 01-16-2012, 05:31 PM   #6532
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

i'll laugh when Swaggs admits to not reading the end of the article
Chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 09:46 AM   #6533
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

SEC encouraging both St. Louis and KC to bid on SEC basketball tourney. Will be interesting to see how this all falls out. KC is tied to the Big 12-2-2+2 until 2014. With the conference being on relatively shaky ground past that point, does KC look to bid on the SEC Conference tournament to fill that void or do they allow St. Louis to land that tournament? Does the Big 12 offer future years of tournaments right away to avoid the SEC coming in to what has been the most lucrative location of the Big 12 tournament spots?

SEC official visits MU, encourages St. Louis bid for tourneys
Old 01-17-2012, 10:05 AM   #6534
bronconick
College Starter

Having Kansas City bid on an SEC tournament is like having Boston try to get the current ACC tourney or Philly to get the Big Ten. That will last one year, tops.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 10:15 AM   #6535
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronconick View Post
Having Kansas City bid on an SEC tournament is like having Boston try to get the current ACC tourney or Philly to get the Big Ten. That will last one year, tops.

I'm assuming you read the article, but if not, you'll note that they plan to keep it on a rotating basis. So it would be a situation where it rotates through every 3-4 years if they got it. I think St. Louis is the much better option out of the two. Located within driving distance of several SEC schools and they wouldn't have to fight for a schedule slot like they might in KC with the Big 12. It's a good flight hub as well with lots of easy connections from SEC-land.
Old 01-17-2012, 10:16 AM   #6536
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked View Post

I really have no idea about WVU. I just know FSU's schedule. I wasn't vouching for WVU's tough schedule or anything. Pick your fight with them.

All I know is that Jimbo is at odds with the former administration about the need to schedule tough OOC schools. We already have UF built in, so take 3 cupcakes and don't hurt yourself unnecessarily. The USF contract is a joke - there is no positive to it for FSU, all it can do is strengthen USF as a legit Florida football program (as it did when they beat FSU in Tally under Bowden 3 years ago). I think to the extent possible, FSU is trying to extract itself from these types of contracts in the future. As a football fan, I don't like it, but as a fan of the team, I understand it.
Old 01-17-2012, 01:26 PM   #6537
bronconick
College Starter

Quote:
I really have no idea about WVU. I just know FSU's schedule. I wasn't vouching for WVU's tough schedule or anything. Pick your fight with them.

All I know is that Jimbo is at odds with the former administration about the need to schedule tough OOC schools. We already have UF built in, so take 3 cupcakes and don't hurt yourself unnecessarily. The USF contract is a joke - there is no positive to it for FSU, all it can do is strengthen USF as a legit Florida football program (as it did when they beat FSU in Tally under Bowden 3 years ago). I think to the extent possible, FSU is trying to extract itself from these types of contracts in the future. As a football fan, I don't like it, but as a fan of the team, I understand it.

They need to bring the strength of schedule back openly to the BCS. They'll still be lots of crap games because teams like playing at home for millions in gate revenue, but at least that would be a counterweight to make it somewhat worthwhile for FSU-Oklahoma type games.
Old 01-17-2012, 01:35 PM   #6538
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronconick View Post
They need to bring the strength of schedule back openly to the BCS. They'll still be lots of crap games because teams like playing at home for millions in gate revenue, but at least that would be a counterweight to make it somewhat worthwhile for FSU-Oklahoma type games.

And balance home vs away, this "play 8 of 12 games at home" has to go.
Old 01-17-2012, 01:45 PM   #6539
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post

As a college football fan of one of the BCS teams I could not disagree more. I enjoy attending 7-8 home games a year and could care less that it might make the debate easier in some people's minds (though it really wouldn't) on who the national champion is. I am one of those "weird" fans I guess that actually enjoys watching my team play and don't think the only objective is a national title.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 01:56 PM   #6540
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post
As a college football fan of one of the BCS teams I could not disagree more. I enjoy attending 7-8 home games a year and could care less that it might make the debate easier in some people's minds (though it really wouldn't) on who the national champion is. I am one of those "weird" fans I guess that actually enjoys watching my team play and don't think the only objective is a national title.

I agree with this. There are only a handful of teams that have a legit chance at a national title in any given season. So balancing a schedule would not be a benefit to those BCS schools that wont be in the national title hunt.
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 02:23 PM   #6541
bronconick
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post

Meh. Not a requirement to me.

There's no carrot in the current setup for playing difficult non-conference games unless they're rivalries. Voters look at nothing but record and name, computers don't put enough emphasis on SoS to balance it out. That's all I'd like to fix. Schools that don't care about the rankings can schedule all home non-conference games for all I care.
Old 01-20-2012, 08:34 AM   #6542
Ksyrup

Not sure what if anything has happened to prompt this, but...

Smart Football @smartfootball 1h
Seems like West Virginia will play in B12 next year but pay damages to Big East. I'd really want to minimize BE damages; ie 12gm season?
Old 01-20-2012, 05:23 PM   #6543
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Not sure what if anything has happened to prompt this, but...

Smart Football @smartfootball 1h
Seems like West Virginia will play in B12 next year but pay damages to Big East. I'd really want to minimize BE damages; ie 12gm season?

There's a rumor that started yesterday that's picking up steam that WVU and the Big East reached an agreement in principle on a buyout.

FWIW, some are saying there's a few legal hurdles left to clear, but the pace is picking up.

I've also heard WVU/FSU buyout should be official soon.

Last edited by Atocep : 01-20-2012 at 05:26 PM.
Old 01-21-2012, 09:28 AM   #6544
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Jimbo wants as easy a schedule as possible, the seat is a tad warm.
Though he should be fine. Really follow the parallels between FSU and Clemsonin the coaching change.

Clemson
Year 1 of Dabo Division Champ lose CCG
Year 2 major disappointment
Year 3 Conference Champ

FSU
Year 1 of Jimbo Division Champ and loce CCG
year 2 Major Disappointment
Year 3 ???
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 09:18 PM   #6545
Ksyrup

He'd want a softer schedule regardless. When he was hired, one of the things I read from multiple sources was that he wanted to get away from Bowden's "take on anyone" motto because it was unnecessary under the current system and with where FSU is now. The USF thing was beyond ridiculous. I have no idea what prompted them to give USF an argument for legitimacy among the big Florida teams. Let them earn it on their own; don't give them a free shot at you when there's absolutely no upside in it for you at all.
Old 01-23-2012, 08:00 PM   #6546
Swaggs
Coordinator

Joe Schad tweeted that Navy will soon announce that they are joining the Big East for the 2015 season.

I assume that, as an independent, they have a number of scheduling commitments that they cannot or do not want to break.

Part of me is kind of bummed that the Big East waited so long to make the move to 12. I'm happy that we landed in a better place in the Big 12, but if Pitt and Syracuse (and the other current members) were not leaving, I would probably rather have stuck in the Big East with Navy, Houston, UCF, and TCU.
Old 01-23-2012, 08:25 PM   #6547
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Navy Midshipmen to join Big East for football in 2015, source says - ESPN
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 09:29 PM   #6548
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
It's a good flight hub as well with lots of easy connections from SEC-land.

Umm, there aren't easy flight connections to anywhere for a lot of SEC-land teams

(Hey, I live in the area, I can take shots like that if I want too)
Old 01-23-2012, 11:38 PM   #6549
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Umm, there aren't easy flight connections to anywhere for a lot of SEC-land teams

(Hey, I live in the area, I can take shots like that if I want too)

Well, perhaps I should have stated it a bit differently. The connections to St. Louis from any area are generally better than KC. They just have more connections going through that airport.
Old 01-23-2012, 11:46 PM   #6550
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Well, perhaps I should have stated it a bit differently. The connections to St. Louis from any area are generally better than KC. They just have more connections going through that airport.

Okay, that makes more sense.

I just kept thinking about some of the horror stories that have been told about trips to Ole Miss (the actual travel part) and was like ???