Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-20-2007, 07:23 PM   #651
General Mike
Pro Starter

Why haven't the Giants done anything this offseason?
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 07:38 PM   #652
Logan
Head Coach

They just signed a Texans' FB to an offer sheet.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 08:34 PM   #653
General Mike
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
They just signed a Texans' FB to an offer sheet.

Yeah, what a blockbuster move.

The Giants have so many holes and haven't addressed any of them.
Nebraska Coach FOFC-BBCF
Rutgers & Washington coach Bowl Bound-BBCF
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 11:37 PM   #654
Vinatieri for Prez
College Starter

Skins' dupe Lovie into taking Archuleta off their hands.
Vinatieri for Prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 11:37 PM   #655
Vinatieri for Prez
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Mike View Post
Why haven't the Giants done anything this offseason?
Reuben Droughns not sexy enough for you?
Old 03-21-2007, 01:10 PM   #656
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

ESPN says Matt Schaub appears to be headed for Houston in return for a 2nd round pick & possibly other considerations. Also says Anthony Wright might be the Falcons choice to be Vick's primary backup.

http://x.go.com/cgi/x.pl?goto=http:/...032114&srvc=sz
Old 03-21-2007, 01:13 PM   #657
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Ammo for the Calvin Johnson move-up? I wonder....
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 02:04 PM   #658
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Looks like the Falcons swap the 10th overall for the 8th, plus pick up 2nd round picks in 2007 and 2008. Interesting deal.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 02:05 PM   #659
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinatieri for Prez View Post
Skins' dupe Lovie into taking Archuleta off their hands.

They're only on the hook for his base salaries, though, right, meaning they could cut him at any point and not take a cap hit?
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 03-21-2007, 02:14 PM   #660
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
They're only on the hook for his base salaries, though, right, meaning they could cut him at any point and not take a cap hit?

Yeah, something like that. The skins only take a 1/6th ammoritizaiton of his salary on this years cap and push the rest back onto next year, cause he was traded instead of cut before june 1(which brings full ammoritization onto the cap).

And the Bears gave him a new 3 year 8.1m deal with 5m guaranteed...something to that effect.
Old 03-21-2007, 02:55 PM   #661
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

And Matt Schaub moves to Houston...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2807051

Quote:

ATLANTA -- In a move that figures to have significant ramifications for the incumbent starters from both teams, the Atlanta Falcons on Wednesday agreed in principle to trade three-year veteran quarterback Matt Schaub to the Houston Texans.

When the trade is completed, Atlanta and Houston will flip-flop first-round picks in April's draft, and Atlanta will receive Houston's second-round picks in 2007 and 2008. The deal likely will be completed later Wednesday afternoon. Houston has the No. 8 pick in the first round of the draft, while Atlanta is slotted 10th.

Sources told ESPN.com that the trade is contingent upon the Texans reaching agreement with Schaub on a contract, and negotiations have already begun.

In acquiring Schaub, the Texans have ostensibly conceded that five-year veteran David Carr, the top overall player chosen in the 2002 draft and a quarterback in whom Houston has invested considerable time and money, is no longer their quarterback of the future. At the same time, the departure of Schaub indicates that new Falcons coach Bobby Petrino is sold on Michael Vick, who is said to have made a strong impression on the rookie sideline boss in their first few months working together.

Schaub, 25, has been the subject of trade rumors for each of the past two springs. ESPN.com reported last Friday in its "Tip Sheet" column that Falcons officials seemed prepared to begin listening to trade offers for him and had begun discussing possible replacements.

One of the strong candidates to replace Schaub as the backup to Vick, ESPN.com has learned, is Anthony Wright, who played with the Cincinnati Bengals in 2006.

Despite starting only two games in three seasons and winning neither of them, Schaub is highly regarded around the NFL. The former Virginia standout, a third-round pick by Atlanta in 2004, has completed 84 of 161 passes for 1,033 yards, with six touchdown passes and six interceptions.

Schaub was a restricted free agent this spring and the Falcons made him the highest qualifying offer possible, at $2.3 million. That qualifying offer meant that, had another team signed Schaub to an offer sheet, and Atlanta not matched it, the Falcons would have received first- and third-round draft choices as compensation.
Old 03-21-2007, 02:57 PM   #662
MikeVic
Head Coach

That's a lot for Schaub I think...
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 03:03 PM   #663
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

I think the Texans just made a big mistake. I think David Carr has gotten a bad deal since being drafted- He'll probably reappear in the future and show the Texans why they should have kept him, I'd almost bet on it.

Schaub is not worth as much as they paid, and I doubt he does much better unless they can cut down the sack totals by about 10-15 sacks from last year.

All I know for sure is every time I have watched Carr play, his throws have been accurate and he has looked like he had the skills to be a starter at the very least, and possibly a pro bowl caliber QB.. He just hasn't had the help up front to allow him the time to do his job. Most QBs, if they got sacked that many times that many years in a row, they would eventually just curl up in a ball and regress. Last season, even with 43 sacks still allowed, Carr improved significantly IMO.

I am definitely going to be following this for the next few years.. Maybe he lands with a team who is shaky at QB and gets a second chance. Unless its Oakland, I think he definitely makes the Texans regret it.

FUCK EA
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 03:04 PM   #664
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
That's a lot for Schaub I think...

Yep... I think its a steal for McKay and the Falcons... as long as they don't butcher the picks.
Old 03-21-2007, 03:06 PM   #665
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio Riddols View Post
I am definitely going to be following this for the next few years.. Maybe he lands with a team who is shaky at QB and gets a second chance. Unless its Oakland, I think he definitely makes the Texans regret it.

Actually, I think Carr would do pretty well on the newly rebuilt Lions. They need a QB and they'd be smart to avoid Quinn in the draft, IMO.
Old 03-21-2007, 03:09 PM   #666
gottimd
Dearly Missed
(9/25/77-12/23/08)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Yep... I think its a steal for McKay and the Falcons... as long as they don't butcher the picks.

They could dupe the skins into trading their pick away, Denver does it all the time.
In memory of Gavin Anthony: 7/22/08-7/26/08
gottimd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 03:10 PM   #667
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

That does sound like a lot for Shaub, but if you go by the value chart and discount the second rounders into third rounders because they are in the future (a practice with which I disagree, but that seems to be common), then this works out to be a high second rounder in exchange for Shaub. Which seems more reasonable.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 03:10 PM   #668
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post

Way, way too much to give up for a QB that you have no idea about. Especially with that OL.

Even if they can't turn those picks into Calvin Johnson, moving up to #8 and adding two 2nd rounders is a very good start for Petrino.
Old 03-21-2007, 03:13 PM   #669
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
That does sound like a lot for Shaub, but if you go by the value chart and discount the second rounders into third rounders because they are in the future (a practice with which I disagree, but that seems to be common), then this works out to be a high second rounder in exchange for Shaub. Which seems more reasonable.

I'll definitely disagree with the discounting in this situation especially. Schaub served no purpose to the Falcons, because they would never be able to survive if Vick ended up not working out. They'd be better off blowing it up and starting over. So it's not like you're weakening yourself this year, for the benefit of when the picks come into play.
Old 03-21-2007, 03:16 PM   #670
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
I'll definitely disagree with the discounting in this situation especially. Schaub served no purpose to the Falcons, because they would never be able to survive if Vick ended up not working out. They'd be better off blowing it up and starting over. So it's not like you're weakening yourself this year, for the benefit of when the picks come into play.

Oh, I agree that Atlanta got the best of this. In fact, I would say that the discounting could be counteracted by the expected performance of the Shaub/Green Texans. Those might end up being pretty high second rounders.
Old 03-21-2007, 03:19 PM   #671
Logan
Head Coach

Good point.
Old 03-21-2007, 03:34 PM   #672
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gottimd View Post
They could dupe the skins into trading their pick away, Denver does it all the time.

Washington is Denver's 3am fat chick.
Old 03-21-2007, 03:52 PM   #673
DeToxRox
Head Coach

This sounds like a move to move up and get Calvin Johnson ahead of TB as well. Now Atlanta has a higher first to offer the Lions or Browns, as well as two second round picks. They need the WR so Vick can put up or shut up, whether it happens though, we shall see.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 03:59 PM   #674
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRoxDVHStyle View Post
This sounds like a move to move up and get Calvin Johnson ahead of TB as well. Now Atlanta has a higher first to offer the Lions or Browns, as well as two second round picks. They need the WR so Vick can put up or shut up, whether it happens though, we shall see.

It'd be fun to see the Lions move back a bit in the draft and pick up some additional picks. It'd be interesting at least.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 04:07 PM   #675
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
It'd be fun to see the Lions move back a bit in the draft and pick up some additional picks. It'd be interesting at least.

Agreed. I'd like to see Patrick Willis at 8 or 9. He ran a 4.37 at his pro day today. He is sick. You can't turn your back on drafting what could be the next Ray Lewis at #8 because he's a MLB. We need playmakers, especially defensivley, and a guy like Willis or Landry would be an amazing start.
Old 03-21-2007, 04:08 PM   #676
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRoxDVHStyle View Post
Agreed. I'd like to see Patrick Willis at 8 or 9. He ran a 4.37 at his pro day today. He is sick. You can't turn your back on drafting what could be the next Ray Lewis at #8 because he's a MLB. We need playmakers, especially defensivley, and a guy like Willis or Landry would be an amazing start.

Agreed.

The Lions are fucked either way on this whole Calvin Johnson thing. If they take him, it wont work out at all and they will be a laughing stock. If they trade down, Calvin Johnson will turn out to be one of the best WRs ever and the Lions will be made a laughing stock for trading down instead of picking him.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 03-21-2007, 04:14 PM   #677
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Agreed.

The Lions are fucked either way on this whole Calvin Johnson thing. If they take him, it wont work out at all and they will be a laughing stock. If they trade down, Calvin Johnson will turn out to be one of the best WRs ever and the Lions will be made a laughing stock for trading down instead of picking him.

Yeap. The thing to do is trade down though because if you can get an equally productive player in Willis, it off sets it. While he won't be LT, I look at it like this. If Johnson is Rice, and Willis is LT, is it really a bad trade? Give me the LB who can make an impact every play over the WR he touches the ball 6 or 7 times a game. Yes the WR makes match up problems, but the LB makes problems for everyone on offense.

I am reaching with the comparisons but I feel that's how it has to be approached.
Old 03-21-2007, 04:19 PM   #678
Vinatieri for Prez
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post

Not entirely. He reworked his deal and there is some guaranteed money involved with Chicago. But it's not huge money.
Old 03-21-2007, 04:25 PM   #679
Vinatieri for Prez
College Starter

I believe the Falcons whipped up on the Texans on this one. The simple fact is that Schaub is a backup. At best, you can say he is an "unproven" starter. For this, you give up 2 2nds and a jump to the 8th spot. That 2 spot jump is huge. By most accounts, there are 7-8 blue chippers in this draft. After that, the 10th pick may as well be the 15th pick. Texans just dropped out of the blue-chip section. All for Schaub!? Then, this clearly signals Carr is gone, meaning they aren't going to get much if anything for him in a trade.
Old 03-21-2007, 04:31 PM   #680
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio Riddols View Post
I think the Texans just made a big mistake. I think David Carr has gotten a bad deal since being drafted- He'll probably reappear in the future and show the Texans why they should have kept him, I'd almost bet on it.

Schaub is not worth as much as they paid, and I doubt he does much better unless they can cut down the sack totals by about 10-15 sacks from last year.

All I know for sure is every time I have watched Carr play, his throws have been accurate and he has looked like he had the skills to be a starter at the very least, and possibly a pro bowl caliber QB.. He just hasn't had the help up front to allow him the time to do his job. Most QBs, if they got sacked that many times that many years in a row, they would eventually just curl up in a ball and regress. Last season, even with 43 sacks still allowed, Carr improved significantly IMO.

Totally agree, I've always thought highly of Carr. Houston doesn't appear to have any idea what they're doing.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 04:31 PM   #681
Ksyrup

History suggests a guy like Schaub is more likely to be Scott Mitchell/Rob Johnson than Brett Favre. But then, maybe Houston thought they were trading with Atlanta for Favre.
Old 03-21-2007, 05:07 PM   #682
RedKingGold
College Starter

I think the worst part of this move is that they have effectivelly killed all leverage to get something decent back for Carr. I really do believe that some team would have at least offered up a 3rd rounder for him. However, the Texans would likely only receive a 5th as best value.

Also, I think most Texan fans are shooting themselves in the face over the fact that if Houston had made this decision when they should have (one year ago), then Vince Young would be on the Texans.
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 05:08 PM   #683
RedKingGold
College Starter

dola

Spoiler

Last edited by RedKingGold : 03-21-2007 at 05:10 PM.
Old 03-21-2007, 05:21 PM   #684
Vinatieri for Prez
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedKingGold View Post
I think the worst part of this move is that they have effectivelly killed all leverage to get something decent back for Carr. I really do believe that some team would have at least offered up a 3rd rounder for him. However, the Texans would likely only receive a 5th as best value.

Also, I think most Texan fans are shooting themselves in the face over the fact that if Houston had made this decision when they should have (one year ago), then Vince Young would be on the Texans.

Hmm, let's see, the Texans could have:

Mario Williams, Matt Schaub, 10th overall pick, and 5th rounder (for Carr)

or

Vince Young, 2 2nd rounders, the 8th overall pick, a 3rd last year (for Carr), and probably at least another 2nd or 3rd from last year by dropping down 1 or 2 spots.

Indeed, a very tough choice.
Old 03-21-2007, 05:22 PM   #685
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
dola

Spoiler

At the risk of a sidetrack ... where in the bloody fucking hell did
Spoiler
come from?

edit to add: I know why, I'm just at a lost for when & how.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 03-21-2007 at 05:22 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 05:38 PM   #686
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
At the risk of a sidetrack ... where in the bloody fucking hell did
Spoiler
come from?

edit to add: I know why, I'm just at a lost for when & how.

Read new stickies much?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 05:43 PM   #687
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Houston gave up too much for Schaub.

At the same time, I think the "David Carr is underrated and just needs a good OL" meme has gone a little too far. I used to be on that bandwagon, but once I actually watched him play I quickly jumped off. His completion % looks amazing because he checks off every play before even going through progressions. Maybe he's just emotionally scarred from playing behind that OL and will be a decent QB after a couple years spent as a backup, but it isn't/wasn't going to happen in Houston.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 06:12 PM   #688
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin View Post
Totally agree, I've always thought highly of Carr. Houston doesn't appear to have any idea what they're doing.

And it isn't like Carr has never shown any promise. His 2004 was a pretty nice year, especially considering he's getting sacked all those times. True, perhaps the OL play has been blamed a lot, but they really do suck, and it isn't like that offense had many playmakers, with the exception of Andre Johnson.
Old 03-21-2007, 06:42 PM   #689
FBPro
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
I totally see the Falcons trading into the top 2 or 3 picks to get Calvin Johnson.

Vick needs a WR; he seems to be as much of a sure thing as Fitzgerald was; and I imagine that picking a local boy can't hurt when you are trying to keep the Georgia Dome sold out.

After the Schaub deal I think this is a distinct possibility.
GM Tennessee Titans FOWL 2020-2025
FBPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 08:09 PM   #690
bhlloy
Coordinator

God the Texans management is horrible. In what universe is Matt Schaub two second round picks (not to mention falling from 8 to 10 in the first round) better than David Carr? Do they think he will be better throwing the ball flat on his back?

Even if you ignore the fact that last year they had the chance to take the hometown kid with the most upside of any QB in the last 10 years (and if you think Young is too risky, you take Leinart who is a sure thing to be a decent QB in the league for 6-8 years) to give Carr another chance, and then you don't improve the line or the talent around him at all, Carr gets killed all year and then you give up on him when the market for QB's is so pathetic all you can get is an overhyped backup who has a 1 in 10 chance of being as good as Young or Leinart?

Mario Williams had better be LT and Reggie White rolled into one for the next 10 years, then maybe the Texans can claim they came out of this ok.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 08:55 PM   #691
RedKingGold
College Starter

According to the NFL Draft chart:

8th overall (1400 points) + 2.7 (530) + 2.12 (460) = 2390 points

3rd overall = 2200 points.

So, if Cleveland does in fact want to trade down, it makes sense. In order for Atlanta to jump up to 2nd overall (2600 points) it would probably take at least another third rounder. For Atlanta to get Calvin Johnson, I'd think its worth it.
Old 03-21-2007, 08:57 PM   #692
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Yeah, the boneheaded-ness move of the century was picking up Carr's 2 year backend option last year around FA time. Once you pick up that, it means you aren't going to draft a QB and suddenly your trade down options are a bit limited. If he somehow had a great year last year, you still could control him via the franchise tag, and he'd actually earn a new contract.
Old 03-21-2007, 09:19 PM   #693
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
According to the NFL Draft chart:

8th overall (1400 points) + 2.7 (530) + 2.12 (460) = 2390 points

3rd overall = 2200 points.

So, if Cleveland does in fact want to trade down, it makes sense. In order for Atlanta to jump up to 2nd overall (2600 points) it would probably take at least another third rounder. For Atlanta to get Calvin Johnson, I'd think its worth it.

As a Lions' fan, I would not be opposed to the team making such a trade with Atlanta.
Old 03-21-2007, 09:25 PM   #694
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore View Post
Read new stickies much?

Apparently not.
Old 03-21-2007, 11:07 PM   #695
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
As a Lions' fan, I would not be opposed to the team making such a trade with Atlanta.

Yeah, i think if the Raiders don't trade down, that as soon as the Raiders pick, the Lions will take that package from ATL and move down(assuming raiders don't take Johnson). The lions would probably benefit just as much from grabbing someone like LaRon Landry at #8 and 2 additional 2nds as they would from taking someone in slot 2 and paying mega bucks.
Old 03-21-2007, 11:27 PM   #696
damnMikeBrown
College Benchwarmer

I know this isn't popular, but I really like what I've seen of Schaub. Yes, yes, it was all preseason work really...but he always looked sensational. Now, I don't know if anybody can look good behind the Texan's line, Carr, Schaub, Randall Cunningham...but I do like Schaub as a passer.

I think it will prove out that he is worth the second rounder. The 2nd second round pick..I dunno. The two spot flip-flop in the first?...let you know in about 4 years.
damnMikeBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 12:35 AM   #697
Vinatieri for Prez
College Starter

Matt Schaub looking good in preseason.

I think you know what that gets you.
Old 03-22-2007, 12:48 AM   #698
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

FWIW, the 2nd No 2 is next year, which I think is an important consideration. As for the Falcons, how many 1st Round Picks can they spend on WR's (Peerless Price via trade, Jenkins, Roddy White, etc etc) ?
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 07:36 AM   #699
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

If I were the Raiders, I would start really looking like I was planning to take Johnson. He seems to be the "trade up to get" guy in this draft. I would not let that leverage fall to Detroit or Cleveland.

Of course, if I were the Raiders, I would not have signed Aaron Brooks to be the savior of the franchise and probably would not have the #1 overall pick as a result.
Old 03-22-2007, 07:49 AM   #700
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Do you really want Matt Millen making more draft picks?