Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-28-2013, 02:33 PM   #651
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

I'd release the hell out of him if I was the Packers. He's like their 5th option on offense, even when their top 3 guys are hurt.

FUCK EA
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 09:43 PM   #652
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

For those unfamiliar with rural Georgia, this is pretty much the middle of nowhere (although it's the home of the state's winningest HS football coach)

Quote:
LINCOLNTON, Ga.— Sheriff's officials say a Tennessee Titans tight end has been arrested in a roll-over drunken driving crash in eastern Georgia.

A Lincoln County Sheriff's report says 23-year-old Brandon Barden lost control of a truck carrying two other passengers on Feb. 23 and crashed into a ditch in Lincolnton — about 35 miles northwest of Augusta. The report says the truck flipped and landed on its side.

Deputies say they spoke with Barden after the accident and smelled a strong odor of alcohol. Barden refused to do a sobriety test and was taken to the sheriff's office, where he again refused to take a sobriety test.

Barden lives in Lincolnton and played for Vanderbilt University. He was drafted in 2012.

He was charged with DUI and failure to maintain lane.

And in spite of the error message, the link appears to work just fine.
ERROR: The requested URL could not be retrieved

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 02-28-2013 at 09:45 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 09:48 PM   #653
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Why should Finley have to agree to a pay cut after a good year? If the Packers don't want to pay him they can cut him. I don't understand why Finley is the asshole in this.
Old 02-28-2013, 10:02 PM   #654
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Why should Finley have to agree to a pay cut after a good year? If the Packers don't want to pay him they can cut him. I don't understand why Finley is the asshole in this.

Good is only relative to the depth chart, which apparently he's far down. Players like him make way too much as it is.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 10:56 PM   #655
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Because he's a player damnit! He ought to sit quietly and take whatever the boss wants to pay him!
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 06:43 AM   #656
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
Good is only relative to the depth chart, which apparently he's far down. Players like him make way too much as it is.

He's clearly their number one tight end. He wants to play for the agreed upon salary, if the team doesn't want to pay him they can cut him. He doesn't have an obligation to take less money than was agreed upon in the contract.

Last edited by JPhillips : 03-01-2013 at 08:51 AM.
JPhillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 08:41 AM   #657
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Falcons released running back Michael Turner, defensive end John Abraham and cornerback Dunta Robinson.

Turner’s release saves the team $6.4 million under the salary cap. Abraham saves the $5.75 million and Robinson saves $3.75 million. In all, the team got $15.9 million under the salary cap by releasing the three veterans.
Old 03-01-2013, 09:13 AM   #658
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Glad to see turner go. Every time he had the ball last year I assumed a one yard gain and second down and long as the result. Hopefully they spend the money on some defensive line help.

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 09:20 AM   #659
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Upon being shown the door, Michael Turner fell into it for a one yard gain.

Last edited by albionmoonlight : 03-01-2013 at 09:20 AM.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 10:12 AM   #660
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
Good year? In one of the best passing offenses in the league and with the team's best 2 receivers hurt (Jennings for most of the year and Nelson for a chunk), Finley managed a whopping 667 yards (ranked 12th in TEs) and 2 TDs despite playing every game. He also ranked 2nd in the league in drops by TEs (7). He had a pretty dismal season for a TE who can't block his own mother and is scheduled to make almost $9 million in salary and bonuses this year.

In the end, it's not that he said he didn't want to take a paycut - fair enough. But on the day that Brady comes out and says how important winning is, he goes out of his way to make sure people understand he's not even going to renegotiate - despite having a subpar season. At this point, I think the team should release him. I can't imagine it's that difficult to find a TE to match the 600 yards of offense with Rodgers as QB. Maybe they could even find one who knows how to block and won't spend weeks of the season bashing his own QB.

Last edited by Arles : 03-01-2013 at 10:13 AM.
Arles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 10:16 AM   #661
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
For those unfamiliar with rural Georgia, this is pretty much the middle of nowhere (although it's the home of the state's winningest HS football coach)

And in spite of the error message, the link appears to work just fine.
ERROR: The requested URL could not be retrieved

Lincolnton, Georgia?

I am guessing the town came into existence well before the Civil War?

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 10:17 AM   #662
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

I had Jermichael Finley on a fantasy team.

I assure you, he did not have a good year.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 03-01-2013, 10:19 AM   #663
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
Glad to see turner go. Every time he had the ball last year I assumed a one yard gain and second down and long as the result. Hopefully they spend the money on some defensive line help.

Well, aren't they gonna need an first-second down back? They only have third downers now.

Old 03-01-2013, 10:20 AM   #664
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

Chris Johnson of Tennessee Titans sure he'll outrush Adrian Peterson in 2013 - ESPN

At least one person believes he can, even if it is him.
M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 10:26 AM   #665
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by M GO BLUE!!! View Post
Chris Johnson of Tennessee Titans sure he'll outrush Adrian Peterson in 2013 - ESPN

At least one person believes he can, even if it is him.

dont be too sure. Peterson could tear his ACL again early in the season...... real early
Old 03-01-2013, 10:28 AM   #666
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Actually, it feels like unexpected stuff like that happens in the NFL all the time. And it's not like Chris Johnson sucks. I wouldn't be shocked at all if it happened.

Old 03-01-2013, 10:38 AM   #667
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

LT was the last back to post back-to-back leading rusher numbers during the 2006 and 2007 seasons.
Old 03-01-2013, 10:41 AM   #668
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Lincolnton, Georgia?
I am guessing the town came into existence well before the Civil War?

Yep. Wiki has it
Quote:
Both the city and the county were named for General Benjamin Lincoln, who served in the Continental Army during the American Revolution.
He was Washington's 2nd in command and formally accepted the British surrender at Yorktown. County was formed in 1796.

I knew I was leaving out something yesterday ... not the origin of the name but rather that it's the hometown of Garrison Hearst, as well as NFL alums Barney Bussey, Pettis Norman and Darius Wynn.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 03-01-2013 at 10:43 AM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 11:59 AM   #669
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I had Jermichael Finley on a fantasy team.

I assure you, he did not have a good year.

His TDs sucked, but he still had 61 catches. He's certainly the best TE on the Packers' roster.
Old 03-01-2013, 01:07 PM   #670
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
His TDs sucked, but he still had 61 catches. He's certainly the best TE on the Packers' roster.

His catches and yardage were also down from the season before, and as noted, he should have had more, not less, given the Packers' injury issues with its other skill position talent. His YPC dropped 3 yards per catch.

He was awful. Oh yeah, and he doesn't block and he was injury prone before this year.

I have no problem with him wanting to get paid what his contract says he should, but trust me, this ain't a guy who should be spouting off to the media about his contract for any reason at all.

Old 03-01-2013, 01:19 PM   #671
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

I don't care if the Packers cut him, but he has the right to refuse a paycut. All I'm saying is that doing so doesn't make him an asshole.
Old 03-01-2013, 01:52 PM   #672
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
And Alex Green was the best RB on their roster for a while last season. That doesn't mean he's any good. Andrew Quarless is 10-times the blocker Finley is and was looking pretty good until he tore his ACL in 2011. He will be back at 100% this camp and could be a factor. Plus, I'm sure one of the many veteran FAs at TE could match Finley's consistency as a receiver and probably be an upgrade as a blocker.

Quote:
I don't care if the Packers cut him, but he has the right to refuse a paycut. All I'm saying is that doing so doesn't make him an asshole.
No, but going out of his way to make sure people know he's not going to consider re-negotiating (even to an extension that helps him a la Brady) isn't needed. Add in his comments about Rodgers not being a leader because Finley wasn't getting the catches he wanted and his lazy work ethic, now you have a "leon-esque" pattern that isn't really needed by a winning team.

Last edited by Arles : 03-01-2013 at 01:55 PM.
Arles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 02:43 PM   #673
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

Bengals tagged Johnson.

GIT R DUN!!!
claphamsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 03:15 PM   #674
Danny
Head Coach

I agree with Arles. Finley has the physical tools to be an elite TE just a notch below Gronk and Graham, but is nothing but a disappointment.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 06:27 PM   #676
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Sounds like Flacco just signed a deal to make him the highest paid QB in NFL history.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 10:11 PM   #677
hoopsguy
General Manager

Had not heard this one before ...

Jim Irsay: Bill Polian wanted to trade Peyton Manning in 2004 | Shutdown Corner - Yahoo! Sports
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 01:04 AM   #678
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Sounds like Flacco just signed a deal to make him the highest paid QB in NFL history.

He should give the difference to Rahim Moore
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 04:57 AM   #679
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Well, aren't they gonna need an first-second down back? They only have third downers now.

I wouldn't call what Turner gave them last season a first-second down back either.

Old 03-02-2013, 04:58 AM   #680
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Brady-until he plays 1 down in 2015 without this contract being altered, please spare the "he took less money" storyline. Right now he actually took more money for 13/14.

Rodgers, signed to a deal which quickly became below market=better play every last down and make 40% of open market value

Finley-signed to a market deal by the same GM=one sub par season and you're an overpaid piece of shit and kill yourself
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 07:01 AM   #681
DougW
High School Varsity

I just saw Leon Sandcastle work out, this guy should go #1.
DougW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 08:15 AM   #682
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Brady-until he plays 1 down in 2015 without this contract being altered, please spare the "he took less money" storyline. Right now he actually took more money for 13/14.

Yeah, I would think that most people on a FOFC board would know how those renegotiated contracts go. FOF has taught us that far too well.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 12:00 PM   #683
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
I wouldn't call what Turner gave them last season a first-second down back either.

Yeah, but at least he represented an at least competent body on the roster for that position. Now the Falcons don't even have him. Rodgers ain't carrying the ball 20 times per game, at least not and still stay healthy.

Old 03-02-2013, 01:18 PM   #684
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Flacco signs for $120.6 million over 6 years.

How much less does he get if Rahim Moore does not get out of position in the Denver game?

Game of inches, indeed.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 01:44 PM   #685
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
Flacco signs for $120.6 million over 6 years.

How much less does he get if Rahim Moore does not get out of position in the Denver game?

Game of inches, indeed.

i bet its really closer to 4 years 60 million
Old 03-02-2013, 03:27 PM   #686
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

either way, it fucks up their cap, for a mediocre QB, so im happy.

GIT R DUN!!!
claphamsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 05:58 PM   #687
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Yeah, but at least he represented an at least competent body on the roster for that position. Now the Falcons don't even have him. Rodgers ain't carrying the ball 20 times per game, at least not and still stay healthy.

The NFL is different now though. Only 4 backs averaged 20 carries last year and only 15 averaged 15 carries per game. The days of needing a workhorse are gone.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 06:16 PM   #688
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

It'll be interesting to see what this trend does for the longevity of running backs. I'd expect guys to start playing into their mid 30's eventually.

FUCK EA
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 04:16 PM   #689
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
The NFL is different now though. Only 4 backs averaged 20 carries last year and only 15 averaged 15 carries per game. The days of needing a workhorse are gone.

True, but it hasn't changed so much that you don't need a normal sized back to do heavy duty first and second down carries on occasion. No team out there is going to win with four scatbacks/slot receiver types as their RBs. There needs to be at least one or two "carry backs", guys who can take a pounding and run through a line instead of around it.

IMO, the Falcons only such guy with any talent was Turner. So now that he is gone, they're going to need to find another if they expect to contend. Even Julio Jones and Roddy White will struggle to score against eight man nickel back coverage schemes.

Old 03-03-2013, 04:19 PM   #690
Danny
Head Coach

Turner sucked last year. He did not provide positive value to the team.
Old 03-03-2013, 04:42 PM   #691
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post
Turner sucked last year. He did not provide positive value to the team.

Yeah, I know. I had him on a couple fantasy teams.

My discussion point is not about the value of Turner, which is shitty, but the current lack of first down backs on the Falcons' roster, which they will need if they plan to return to the NFC title game next season.

Old 03-03-2013, 04:45 PM   #692
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

The good news for them is those guys don't have to be found in the first round.
Old 03-03-2013, 05:21 PM   #693
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

My discussion point is not about the value of Turner, which is shitty, but the current lack of first down backs on the Falcons' roster, which they will need if they plan to return to the NFC title game next season.

And I think the return discussion point is that they have the same number of legitimate first down backs on the roster now as they had before they cut Turner. He had become a waste of space, not to mention cap room.
Old 03-03-2013, 05:33 PM   #694
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Is it really a discussion if no one is arguing that Turner is any good? That's a discussion of no value.

A discussion of how the Falcons actually plan to fill the role Turner was supposed to fill? That's an actual discussion.

Old 03-03-2013, 06:03 PM   #695
Danny
Head Coach

Quote:
Is it really a discussion if no one is arguing that Turner is any good? That's a discussion of no value.

A discussion of how the Falcons actually plan to fill the role Turner was supposed to fill? That's an actual discussion.

They could take just about any back in the 3rd-4th round and get someone who could do the role at least as good as Turner.
Old 03-03-2013, 06:15 PM   #696
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:

Is the role of workhorse #1 back needed in the NFL if you don't have an Adrian Peterson type of back though? There isn't any reason to force a guy carries anymore just because he's the guy on your roster capable of carrying the ball 20 times per game.

Even Turner only averaged just under 14 carries per game last season. Is replacing a guy that averaged 3.6 yards per carry on less than 15 carries per game really something a team should worry about? There will probably be 15 running backs in this upcoming draft capable of filling that role.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 06:38 PM   #697
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post
They could take just about any back in the 3rd-4th round and get someone who could do the role at least as good as Turner.

They can get a very good back in the second if they choose.
Old 03-04-2013, 03:14 PM   #698
Logan
Head Coach

KC and Bowe have agreed to a 5-year deal, per Schefter, which allows them to tag Brandon Albert.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 03:24 PM   #699
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Sorry for the slow responses, my travel schedule has made board access spotty. My point was an echo of what others stated after my posts. Watching every Falcons game, it got to the sad point where I knew when Turner was getting the ball, the other team knew when he was getting the ball and they routinely just stuffed him causing 2nd and long situations quite often.

I don't have his stats handy, but his fairly mediocre ypc probably was enhanced by the very few times that he did break a long run. I would say the majority of the time he got under 3 yards on those carries. it says alot about Ryan and the receiving corp that they were able to convert so many poor second and third down situations into first downs.

If that is what you get from a "solid" first down back, I think I will pass on that. I think the Falcons would be better off passing even when everyone knew they were passing as I had a higher confidence on them completing plays and then perhaps it would open up things for their running game and draws/fakes/other types of runs that an benefit from the smaller defense.

ideally, as others say getting a back in the draft or someone else that can fill that whole would be nice and I have to assume it won't cost nearly what Turner's cap hit was, which frees up the space for other areas of need.

Old 03-04-2013, 03:37 PM   #700
Logan
Head Coach

KC also gives punter Dustin Colquitt a 5 year, $18.75MM deal with just under $9MM guaranteed.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote