Hall Of Famer

That's a lot of if.
Old 10-09-2022, 02:03 PM   #652
rjolley
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
That's a lot of if.

Yep. That's what a rebuild is all about.
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2022, 02:28 PM   #653
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

And then, since almost the moment we started talking about this, Fields has looked pretty good. A lot of damage with his feet (including a highlight-reel 52-yard touchdown run called back because of a dumb blocking error), and crisper passes. Cousins made a mistake, and it's a Bears lead with nine minutes left.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2022, 02:28 PM   #654
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

And "real men" are out in force that mean doctors are getting in the way of them enjoying the game/sports betting.

(Someone just posted a rant about how "one person shouldn't have that much power over the game", after I pointed out that the NFL/NFLPA agreed on the experts, and either side can remove experts )
Old 10-09-2022, 02:36 PM   #655
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

I'm beginning to think the Lions just aren't a very good franchise.
Old 10-09-2022, 02:48 PM   #656
sabotai
General Manager

Breaking News: The Browns are still the Browns
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2022, 02:52 PM   #657
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Fields showed some poise there - the question is whether he'll be able to avoid those frequent long stretches where even a simple pass is a challenge. Not his fault his receiver forgot rule #1 out there. This was looking like OT until then.
Old 10-09-2022, 02:53 PM   #658
Atocep
Coordinator

I never understand in late situations why players fight for an extra yard with a running clock rather than just get down or get out of bounds.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2022, 02:58 PM   #659
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
I never understand in late situations why players fight for an extra yard with a running clock rather than just get down or get out of bounds.

He failed his "Football IQ" saving throw.
Old 10-09-2022, 02:58 PM   #660
rjolley
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic View Post
Fields showed some poise there - the question is whether he'll be able to avoid those frequent long stretches where even a simple pass is a challenge. Not his fault his receiver forgot rule #1 out there. This was looking like OT until then.

This is key. All NFL QBs have periods where they miss receivers and have bad overall play. The question is can Fields consistently minimize that period and turn things around quickly when it does happen. We shall see.
Old 10-09-2022, 03:00 PM   #661
bhlloy
Coordinator

Wow, that roughing the passer call on the Falcons is something else
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2022, 03:00 PM   #662
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

The roughing call they just gave Brady was unbelievably bad. Even for the NFL.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2022, 03:01 PM   #663
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
The roughing call they just gave Brady was unbelievably bad. Even for the NFL.

+1
Old 10-09-2022, 03:02 PM   #664
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

I don't think the Falcon defender was trying to plant Brady. Brady's reaction drew the flag more than anything.

I know there have been too many QB injuries, and the league is desperate for competent QBs, but common sense should prevail on those calls.
Old 10-09-2022, 03:06 PM   #665
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Oops. Accidental Reds word in the Commanders game.

The NFL will be issuing a warning to the networks. (I'm kidding about this part. obviously we're still going to hear that word accidentally for years and years and years to come)
Old 10-09-2022, 03:08 PM   #666
bhlloy
Coordinator

That basically cost the Falcons any shot at a divisional win. Refs should be suspended for that shit.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2022, 03:10 PM   #667
weegeebored
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjolley View Post
If Fields improves over the season and looks competent by the end, the rookie DBs look like solid pieces, and the other young players show improvement, then it's a successful season.
Brisker is fine; Gordon is a CB 4 or 5, or maybe a switch to safety.
Old 10-09-2022, 03:12 PM   #668
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjolley View Post
This is key. All NFL QBs have periods where they miss receivers and have bad overall play. The question is can Fields consistently minimize that period and turn things around quickly when it does happen. We shall see.

The 2nd half was the best half I've seen Getsy call for Fields. Maybe he realized that Fields isn't quite on Rodgers level yet and needs to adjust accordingly. The shorter route options were something missing up until the 2nd half of this game.

I still really like what I see from Eberflus. This team plays hard and the on side kick and the decision to go for it on 4th down were both good calls IMO.
Old 10-09-2022, 03:16 PM   #669
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

I hqve never wished serious injury on any player. But I am rethinking my position, Tom Brady POS.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2022, 03:30 PM   #670
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
I hqve never wished serious injury on any player. But I am rethinking my position, Tom Brady POS.

What did the Deflator do this time?
Old 10-09-2022, 03:34 PM   #671
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by weegeebored View Post
Brisker is fine; Gordon is a CB 4 or 5, or maybe a switch to safety.

Gordon had his first pretty decent game today, I thought. Lot better than his first 4 games, anyway.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2022, 05:02 PM   #672
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
What did the Deflator do this time?

His reaction earned a roughing the passer penalty (at a key moment) that was NOT roughing the passer in anyway shape or form
Old 10-09-2022, 06:09 PM   #673
GrantDawg

What makes it worse is there is a sack of Mariota that was the exact same type of tackle. Some how it is only a penalty when it is Tom Brady. Funny how that works?

Last edited by GrantDawg : 10-09-2022 at 06:09 PM.
Old 10-09-2022, 06:52 PM   #674
rjolley
College Starter

I know the refs will say they don't do this but it feels like the roughing the passer call was a make up for the pass interference call they didn't make on the play before. Looked like the defender ran into the receiver as he was trying to come back to the ball.
Old 10-09-2022, 06:52 PM   #675
GrantDawg

What makes it even more worse? Brady actually tried to kick Jarrett as he got up to celebrate. Brady is such a POS.

Last edited by GrantDawg : 10-09-2022 at 06:53 PM.
Old 10-09-2022, 06:59 PM   #676
Thomkal
Head Coach

So I'm thinking the Cards will be bringing in a new kicker if Prater is still hurt next week after that "attempt" to send the game into OT
Old 10-09-2022, 07:15 PM   #677
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
So I'm thinking the Cards will be bringing in a new kicker if Prater is still hurt next week after that "attempt" to send the game into OT

Though if Kyler doesn't slide early ...
Old 10-09-2022, 07:44 PM   #678
Ksyrup

Or he doesn't spike it requiring that they kick there.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 10-09-2022, 08:13 PM   #679
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Though if Kyler doesn't slide early ...

Yeah but its not like they are going to fire him Not his best moment, but I think he thought he had done enough to get the first down.
Old 10-09-2022, 08:54 PM   #680
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Have the bengals had these weird red helmets all year?
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2022, 09:37 PM   #681
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Collinsworth fucking yucking it up as usual just reminds me how close Al Michaels was to ending his own life on Thursday.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2022, 09:51 PM   #682
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
Collinsworth fucking yucking it up as usual just reminds me how close Al Michaels was to ending his own life on Thursday.

I have no clue what this means.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2022, 10:02 PM   #683
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
I have no clue what this means.

Colts-Broncos: Al Michaels was completely fed up with TNF matchup
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2022, 10:19 PM   #684
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Ravens doing just enough to win.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2022, 11:18 PM   #685
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

oh boohoohoo for russell wilson
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2022, 11:19 PM   #686
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glengoyne View Post
Have the bengals had these weird red helmets all year?

their new white uniforms reek of fail
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2022, 08:35 AM   #687
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
What makes it even more worse? Brady actually tried to kick Jarrett as he got up to celebrate. Brady is such a POS.

I forget the numbers, but weren't networks offering Brady record-setting money to be an announcer/studio guy when he retires? I just don't see it. He's a great QB with all the records. But fans, by and large, seem to really dislike him. Because, by and large, he is really dislikable. I don't see why you'd want to commit to him as the face of your football coverage.

Drew Brees was a great QB. As a Saints fan, I saw a lot of his interviews as a player, and I never thought he said anything interesting or had any sort of interesting presence. So I was surprised when he got a media gig. And it turns out he's dishwater dull in a suit in front of a camera.

Payton Manning, you knew would be great in media b/c he's always had that self-deprecating aw shucks thing that plays so well. And it turns out he's a super hot media property right now. You can kind of predict these things.

I am guessing that if Brady tries media, he will fail because we all know that he's a petulant unlikable weirdo. This isn't a big secret.
albionmoonlight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2022, 09:19 AM   #688
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

When you have a guy who has won at rate no one thought possible, and brought that mostly to one franchise in one region that has a reputation for insular behavior, he's going to be hated by most fans. He could be the greatest guy ever and people would hate him.

Peyton Manning mostly played for a relatively "new" NFL city, one with only one other professional team, and, maybe most importantly, only won two Super Bowls - the second against tremendous odds right before retirement.

The second factor with Brady is Deflategate. Other quarterbacks made these same decisions, and the balls in question likely started out within legal range, but play and the cold temperature of the day made them illegal. Goodell handled it badly, made it personal. Since then, Brady has been very anti-league, and I don't think that plays well with many fans.

The third factor is this absurd concept that 45-year olds can still play effectively at quarterback. That defies all reason.

The fourth factor is Giselle. Not only is Brady the GOAT, but he has a supermodel wife who might out-earn him.

The bottom line, though, his teammates love him. He doesn't have to have to be great with the media or the public (the Mannings are like royalty, it's amazing how they've adopted this self-deprecating public presence that really does endear them to fans). He supports his teammates and he wins games.

And he's a Michigan guy, so I'm inclined to root for him anyway. Plus I was living in the Boston area when he came out of nowhere to lead the Patriots to their first title.

The sack/kick/flag, which might well have affected the game, is not a good look for him. Maybe this is the year he finally becomes mortal. But I still wish him well.
Old 10-10-2022, 10:54 AM   #689
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
I forget the numbers, but weren't networks offering Brady record-setting money to be an announcer/studio guy when he retires? I just don't see it. He's a great QB with all the records. But fans, by and large, seem to really dislike him. Because, by and large, he is really dislikable. I don't see why you'd want to commit to him as the face of your football coverage.

Drew Brees was a great QB. As a Saints fan, I saw a lot of his interviews as a player, and I never thought he said anything interesting or had any sort of interesting presence. So I was surprised when he got a media gig. And it turns out he's dishwater dull in a suit in front of a camera.

Payton Manning, you knew would be great in media b/c he's always had that self-deprecating aw shucks thing that plays so well. And it turns out he's a super hot media property right now. You can kind of predict these things.

I am guessing that if Brady tries media, he will fail because we all know that he's a petulant unlikable weirdo. This isn't a big secret.

You mean it's kindof like putting ARod in the booth vs Big Papi. Like after his heel turn mid-career, no one was really excited about ARod doing... anything. So why did anyone think he'd be a good announcer? No one ever has ever uttered the words "Man, I'm glad ARod is working this game". Meanwhile, everyone seemed to conveniently forget that Big Papi was caught doing PEDs because he's likeable so it's not a shock that putting him in the Fox studio made it the closest thing baseball has to the NBA on TNT.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2022, 10:57 AM   #690
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Rhule gone. I don't think you can bring in a quarterback that late and have much of a playbook suited to specific strengths. Darnold was awful, didn't deserve another chance.

Not sure this was warranted, but it is how the league works. He wasn't winning, and Carolina wasn't going to turn it around this year.
Old 10-10-2022, 11:22 AM   #691
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

There are only two or three QBs in this draft and Carolina may not get one.
Old 10-10-2022, 11:32 AM   #692
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai View Post
Breaking News: The Browns are still the Browns

...except they are, for the most part, the inverse of what I/we expected for this early part of the season. I felt like the defense should be pretty solid (wasnt wild about moves along the DL but overall they seemed to be average or better overall) but the offense might be shaky without much air threat,

Instead, they have been a top tier offense, with Brissett being the best version of himself mostly, but the defense is bottom rung. Crazy.

Maybe they just suffer a curse, like Detroit, and all roads lead to suck no matter what ingredients are there.

Last edited by QuikSand : 10-10-2022 at 11:33 AM.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2022, 11:36 AM   #693
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
There are only two or three QBs in this draft and Carolina may not get one.

I know the team had other needs, and so I don't fault them for skipping on Malik Willis in round one, or maybe even round two. But taking a flier on him some time after round one seemed like an obvious play for them - they didn't even have Baker at the time, so the window seemed wide open to target a high upside guy like him.

Not saying I'd be thrilled to throw him out there for the rest of this season... but at least there would be a narrative around doing so, and some reasonably likely whispers of "getting a look at how good this kid might be" to keep people interested. PJ Walker doesn't even give you that, seems to me.

Last edited by QuikSand : 10-10-2022 at 11:59 AM.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2022, 02:06 PM   #694
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic View Post
Rhule gone. I don't think you can bring in a quarterback that late and have much of a playbook suited to specific strengths. Darnold was awful, didn't deserve another chance.

Not sure this was warranted, but it is how the league works. He wasn't winning, and Carolina wasn't going to turn it around this year.

He had two decent QB's who had shown some success in the league and got almost nothing from both so not really surprised he was shown the door by the win now Tepper.
Old 10-10-2022, 02:16 PM   #695
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
I know the team had other needs, and so I don't fault them for skipping on Malik Willis in round one, or maybe even round two. But taking a flier on him some time after round one seemed like an obvious play for them - they didn't even have Baker at the time, so the window seemed wide open to target a high upside guy like him.

Not saying I'd be thrilled to throw him out there for the rest of this season... but at least there would be a narrative around doing so, and some reasonably likely whispers of "getting a look at how good this kid might be" to keep people interested. PJ Walker doesn't even give you that, seems to me.

There are 6 1 win teams at the moment and Carolina is fourth worst in point differential. Playing in the weaker conference, I think it's at least 50/50 that they finish as 29th best or better. At that point, what do they do? Do they just punt on 2023 and hope for the #1 pick and Caleb Williams? The 2024 QB class looks really thin. They don't seem to have gamed out, what happens if Baker and Sam stink?

On a side note, I was shocked at the point differential for the Steelers. Playing in the AFC, they might end up with the worst record. What do they do, roll with Pickett or grab Stroud or Young, or do they trade down for a haul of picks(with Carolina?) and potentially regret the decision for a decade?
Old 10-10-2022, 02:22 PM   #696
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
There are 6 1 win teams at the moment and Carolina is fourth worst in point differential. Playing in the weaker conference, I think it's at least 50/50 that they finish as 29th best or better. At that point, what do they do? Do they just punt on 2023 and hope for the #1 pick and Caleb Williams? The 2024 QB class looks really thin. They don't seem to have gamed out, what happens if Baker and Sam stink?

On a side note, I was shocked at the point differential for the Steelers. Playing in the AFC, they might end up with the worst record. What do they do, roll with Pickett or grab Stroud or Young, or do they trade down for a haul of picks(with Carolina?) and potentially regret the decision for a decade?

The scary thing about Pickett is he's a 24 year old rookie that was supposed to be a polished, plug and play qb.

He had every major red flag we know about college quarterbacks and still had plenty of interest in round 1, not just from the Steelers. 5th year senior, huge jump his last year, and playing for a new QB friendly OC.

There's a lot we don't know about quarterback development, but it amazes how teams ignore the little we do know and fall in love with a quarterback during the draft process.
Old 10-10-2022, 04:21 PM   #697
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
The scary thing about Pickett is he's a 24 year old rookie that was supposed to be a polished, plug and play qb.

He had every major red flag we know about college quarterbacks and still had plenty of interest in round 1, not just from the Steelers. 5th year senior, huge jump his last year, and playing for a new QB friendly OC.

There's a lot we don't know about quarterback development, but it amazes how teams ignore the little we do know and fall in love with a quarterback during the draft process.

Just wait until someone falls in love with Stetson Bennett.
Old 10-10-2022, 04:34 PM   #698
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Panthers do also have Corral who is on season ending IR. I didn't love that pick either, but he's still a 3rd round QB who might be worth a shot before spending yet more draft capital on searching for a QB... it's not like that team is one player away, the defense is pretty bad too.

Deion Jones could be a nice add for the Browns, always liked him as an LB. Though it is funny to see Mack Wilson unsurprisingly doing pretty great on a well coached defense.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2022, 04:59 PM   #699
Ksyrup

Quote:
Just wait until someone falls in love with Stetson Bennett.

I feel the same way about Will Levis. I think his up-up side is maybe Andy Dalton. I know he's big and strong, etc., but he fumbles a ton and I'm just not sure I see it. But that's why I'm paid to just sit home and post at FOFC instead of advise teams.
Old 10-10-2022, 06:59 PM   #700
GrantDawg

Don't worry. It easy to overlook Stetson Bennett.
Yes, that was a short joke.