Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-30-2012, 12:27 AM   #651
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
It's funny and pathetic to see desparate Mizzou using SU as a recruiting service for the PA linemen.
You 'Cuse fans will be doubly mad ... He picked Mizzou over SU for both football and the j-school. That's gotta hurt

I don't know about DGB. I may have mentioned before that he goes to my high school. The rumors out of Springfield is that he's choosing Mizzou, but the smart money outside Springfield is Arkansas.

If DGB picks Mizzou, it will be the biggest coup in school history. His official visit to Mizzou this weekend went as well as possible by all accounts. One interesting note is that DGB went alone for his Arky visit, but the whole family and the girl friend all went to Columbia. He had to love the MiZ DGB chant at the basketball game Saturday.

Mizzou has picked up a couple of key recruits this weekend, but the bad news is that we may be losing Simon Goines to UCLA. Drat.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 09:05 AM   #652
SnDvls
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
Color me shcoked, but UCLA landed Fuller

Where is UCLA getting all these scholarships? What recruit is going to get left without?
SnDvls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 10:18 AM   #653
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcchief19 View Post
I don't know about DGB. I may have mentioned before that he goes to my high school. The rumors out of Springfield is that he's choosing Mizzou, but the smart money outside Springfield is Arkansas.

If DGB picks Mizzou, it will be the biggest coup in school history. His official visit to Mizzou this weekend went as well as possible by all accounts. One interesting note is that DGB went alone for his Arky visit, but the whole family and the girl friend all went to Columbia. He had to love the MiZ DGB chant at the basketball game Saturday.

The family is definitely 100% with Mizzou. With that said, they are letting DGB make the selection himself and will support him either way. There's a lot of screwed up decision making in some of these situations. In the case of DGB, I'm not sure they could have handled it any better than they have. As I mentioned before, he's a great kid so I hope things work for him no matter where he ends up going.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 10:21 AM   #654
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnDvls View Post
Where is UCLA getting all these scholarships? What recruit is going to get left without?

They're losing commits, too, generally from the old staff. For instance, teh Hawaiian RB Lakalaka (sp?) committed to Hawaii last night. Folasa, the OL who is Lutui's cousin decommitted a few days ago (although it was pretty much known he didn't get past UCLA admissions). Ankou (or Yakoo? I have gotten them confused all recruiting season) committed to Boise State the other day after decommitting recently.

UCLA is definitely bringing in more recruits than they are losing, and some guys from the current team are being encouraged to transfer, it seems, or take medical retirements, as the bigger bugaboo for UCLA is the 85 man scholie limit. But these things tend to play themselves out.

UCLA also has three EE's, and may ask a couple recruits to grayshirt (although I hope not; that just takes scholies away from next year).

And you know how Signing Day is. Not every currently committed recruit will end up signing with UCLA. There are always NLISD surprises.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 12:28 PM   #655
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Only a few hours until Banner announces and it looks very good for USC. The dream of a fab 5 offensive line class is still alive.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 02:53 PM   #656
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Source is reportedly a member of the OU staff. DGB supposedly called all involved schools earlier today. No confirmation of any eliminations/selections expected due to the agreement that ESPNU will carry the announcement.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextr...0_Itmayb352641

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 01-30-2012 at 02:53 PM.
Old 01-30-2012, 03:00 PM   #657
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
Only a few hours until Banner announces and it looks very good for USC. The dream of a fab 5 offensive line class is still alive.
Yeah, the buzz is he told USC players/recruits he's decided on USC, which is where the commit rumors a couple weeks back came from.

Still holding out some hope that his mom talked him into staying close to home and that playing for Romar is a lot more appealing than playing for O'Neill, but everyone with connections seems to be expecting him to pick USC. Banner seems to be enthralled with the idea that USC gives him a better chance at a National Championship, and he legitimately has as much chance to play early for the Trojans as he does the Huskies.

If so, just more proof that Sark's staff really blew-it big-time with in-state recruits this year. It's not a coincidence that many of the guys tasked with recruiting Banner & Garnett were also the guys fired right after the Alamo Bowl - those firings weren't exclusively about the state of the Husky defense.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 04:18 PM   #658
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcchief19 View Post
Mizzou has picked up a couple of key recruits this weekend, but the bad news is that we may be losing Simon Goines to UCLA. Drat.

It's official, Goines to UCLA.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 01-30-2012, 04:55 PM   #659
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Source is reportedly a member of the OU staff. DGB supposedly called all involved schools earlier today. No confirmation of any eliminations/selections expected due to the agreement that ESPNU will carry the announcement.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextr...0_Itmayb352641

Saw that. After the Anderson and Painter fiasco's I think I am going to wait until Wednesday's press conference to read this as anything but a "who knows" situation. Tigerboard has been pretty much unreadable with all of the speculation and arguing with Arkansas fans. With the KU game on the horizon I think I will stay away for a while....

Weds (DGB goes to Mizzou): "Mizzou 13-0?" "Watch out Alabama, watch out LSU"
Weds (DGB goes to Ark): "The world is ending because the #1 recruit in the nation actually chose a school with a little more prestige then Missouri"

No thanks.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 05:09 PM   #660
MJ4H
Coordinator

I always steer clear of those types of meltdowns. Hard to hold your faith in humanity when reading some of it.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 05:20 PM   #661
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Banner officially announced that he is going to USC.
Old 01-30-2012, 06:59 PM   #662
MrBug708
Head Coach

The real reason why Goines decommited from Missouri

MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 07:22 PM   #663
MrBug708
Head Coach

Simon Goines is 6-8/295 and has a 34 inch vertical? That's pretty crazy for a guy like that
Old 01-30-2012, 07:52 PM   #664
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

KSDK in St. Louis reporting that DGB will commit to Mizzou.

Also mentioned that four-star lineman Gardner decommitted from Arkansas. Could be a big 'ouch' day for Arkansas if those two things come to pass.
Old 01-30-2012, 10:03 PM   #665
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Quote:
The real reason why Goines decommited from Missouri
The best thing I can say in defense is at least there is no Eco Kat.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 10:13 PM   #666
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:
KSDK in St. Louis reporting that DGB will commit to Mizzou.

Also mentioned that four-star lineman Gardner decommitted from Arkansas. Could be a big 'ouch' day for Arkansas if those two things come to pass.

Considering we don't have a lineman named Gardner committed to us, it probably won't.

We do have a receiver, but he apparently has grade issues and has been flirting with OU for awhile. Hasn't decommited, though.

As for DGB, the reasonable sources have backed off the certainty of "he will commit to Missouri." Lots of theories on what's happening there. We'll just have to wait and see. We have backups for all of these contingencies and the class is very solid for us either way, so it won't be a big ouch no matter how it all works out. One of the main reasons I love this staff.

Last edited by MJ4H : 01-30-2012 at 10:15 PM.
Old 01-30-2012, 10:34 PM   #667
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ4H View Post
As for DGB, the reasonable sources have backed off the certainty of "he will commit to Missouri." Lots of theories on what's happening there. We'll just have to wait and see. We have backups for all of these contingencies and the class is very solid for us either way, so it won't be a big ouch no matter how it all works out. One of the main reasons I love this staff.

Everyone has backups, but they aren't replacements for two of the top three targets in your recruiting class.
Old 01-30-2012, 10:45 PM   #668
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
The three players I mentioned a few days ago all switched their commitments to Texas: Bryce Cottell from Oregon, Daje Johnson from TCU, and Dalton Santos from Tennessee.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 11:28 PM   #669
MrBug708
Head Coach

Hiva Lutui to Utah over a questionable offer from USC. I think they offered but only this past weekend

Last edited by MrBug708 : 01-30-2012 at 11:29 PM.
Old 01-31-2012, 12:04 AM   #670
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ4H View Post
We have backups for all of these contingencies and the class is very solid for us either way, so it won't be a big ouch no matter how it all works out.
Unless you're oversigning and telling a kid not to show up, how can you have a contingency for NSD? Hopefully the majority are true to their word, but unless you want to promise over the scholarship limit, you still have those 1-2 kids who don't decide until NSD, and if you're holding scholarships for them I doubt any decent players are willing to wait until the previous recruit decides.

Last edited by BishopMVP : 01-31-2012 at 12:14 AM.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 12:13 AM   #671
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

While it stings to see Zach Banner choose USC today, it feels real good to see Shaq Thompson - the top Safety prospect in the country - commit to Washington tonight.

Tosh Lupoi and Justin Wilcox are already starting to earn their pay...
Old 01-31-2012, 12:32 AM   #672
MrBug708
Head Coach

1.3 million is a lot for the #1 S

But it was a good pickup and should start from day 1
Old 01-31-2012, 12:53 AM   #673
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
1.3 million is a lot for the #1 S
The recruiting returns from these guys is only just beginning. Should have a much larger impact on the 2013 class.

Quote:
But it was a good pickup and should start from day 1
Yep. Kid is as talented as any defensive prospect the UW has landed in a long, long time.
Old 01-31-2012, 06:36 AM   #674
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:
Everyone has backups, but they aren't replacements for two of the top three targets in your recruiting class.

I didn't say they were exact equivalents. We will be fine.
Old 01-31-2012, 07:07 AM   #675
Jon
High School Varsity

5 star DL Darius Hamilton is set to announce his choice tonight. He's choosing between Florida, Miami, and Rutgers.
Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 07:18 AM   #676
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Hiva Lutui to Utah over a questionable offer from USC. I think they offered but only this past weekend

He never had a commitable offer because they were waiting for a few other dominoes to fall. They think they have a full class of 15 (plus 5 EE's) ready to go barring last minute flips. Ditto for Treggs who visited without an offer.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 01-31-2012 at 07:19 AM.
Old 01-31-2012, 07:24 AM   #677
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon View Post
5 star DL Darius Hamilton is set to announce his choice tonight. He's choosing between Florida, Miami, and Rutgers.

There was a report out that he knocked Florida off the list, but I think that was only one source. Either way, feeling pretty good about this one.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 07:26 AM   #678
Logan
Head Coach

BTW, Rivals guys are saying Fuller could still be in play.
Old 01-31-2012, 07:39 AM   #679
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
He never had a commitable offer because they were waiting for a few other dominoes to fall. They think they have a full class of 15 (plus 5 EE's) ready to go barring last minute flips. Ditto for Treggs who visited without an offer.

Treggs wasnt ever going to go to USC, even with an offer
Old 01-31-2012, 07:43 AM   #680
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
The recruiting returns from these guys is only just beginning. Should have a much larger impact on the 2013 class.

Yep. Kid is as talented as any defensive prospect the UW has landed in a long, long time.

I'm curious to see the impact. Obviously kids love Tosh, but the relationship Shaq had with Tosh was because he liked Cal initially. I think this hire will hurt Cal more in the long run then it will help UW
Old 01-31-2012, 07:59 AM   #681
Logan
Head Coach

The first official flip away from Rutgers is TE Mike Giacone to BC.
Old 01-31-2012, 11:39 AM   #682
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Reports coming out of St. Louis that DGB is trying to convince Durron Neal to flip from OU to Mizzou. Doubt he'll flip, but obviously fantastic news on the DGB front.
Old 01-31-2012, 12:44 PM   #683
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Treggs wasnt ever going to go to USC, even with an offer

LOL. He may still flip to USC on Weds if Agholor or Rogers fall through.
Old 01-31-2012, 01:01 PM   #684
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

USC is always a threat when they offer, so I can't discount it.

That said, for Treggs to make the jump to USC after all the stuff he has been doing between Cal and UCLA would be mind bloggling. I would be stunned if he went to USC.

Every source I have heard of, and right now this is damn near the most covered recruit on the west coast in the past week or two, has been Cal or UCLA, with Cal being the way he is leaning (currently).

For Treggs to go to USC, he would have to turn his back on being a lifelong Cal fan and a legacy at the school his dad starred at, and he would have to turn his back on being coached by a close personal family friend in Eric Yarber at UCLA, which is also close to home and the school where his mom went. He would have to turn his back on both of those options to go to USC.

That would be pretty shocking.

Old 01-31-2012, 02:37 PM   #685
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Heh.

@EyeOnCFB: New PSU coach Bill O'Brien too busy with the Patriots to worry about national signing day
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 02:53 PM   #686
Cuckoo
College Starter

Quote:
Reports coming out of St. Louis that DGB is trying to convince Durron Neal to flip from OU to Mizzou. Doubt he'll flip, but obviously fantastic news on the DGB front.

Yeah, I seriously doubt that will happen. It's probably just that they are friends. Neal has been trying to get him to come to OU for months, and he's been one of the most vocally pro-OU of the recruits.

I do think DGB's headed to Missouri, though. It surprises me as I would've said he was a lock for Arkansas, but something obviously changed his mind. Obviously he's an incredible get for whichever spot he picks. Luckily, OU has a pretty fantastic group of receiver recruits coming in this class, and there are a lot of rumors (think someone mentioned this earlier) that Gardner is a silent commit, switching from Arkansas after his last visit. Apparently, there were four recruits on that visit, and one of them made a comment about only the DE (OK kid who is also considering Mizzou) didn't commit when they were there.

Last edited by Cuckoo : 01-31-2012 at 02:54 PM.
Cuckoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 03:04 PM   #687
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I'm curious to see the impact. Obviously kids love Tosh, but the relationship Shaq had with Tosh was because he liked Cal initially. I think this hire will hurt Cal more in the long run then it will help UW
Shaq always had Cal #1 for a variety of reasons, but he also always strongly considered the UW. When Wilcox was hired, that caught his eye because of the strong relationship the family had with him from his time as a Cal assistant when Syd'Quan was there. And then when Tosh flipped, that totally threw Shaq for a loop and made him re-think things.

I agree that Tosh won't be as effective at the UW as he was at Cal - he was the perfect storm there as a lifelong Cal fan and former player. But his recruiting prowess isn't just that - it's also his personality and the way he can relate to players and how they feel comfortable with him.

And don't discount Sirmon - he was generally considered the best recruiter on the Tennessee staff; he's a major recruiting upgrade over the coach he replaced. Wilcox too.

The downside for me as a Husky fan is I don't expect Wilcox & Sirmon to be here more than 3 years before Wilcox gets a head-coaching gig and brings along Sirmon as his DC.
Old 01-31-2012, 03:32 PM   #688
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Tennessee just lost LB Otha Peters to Arkansas.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 03:41 PM   #689
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

WR Jordan Payton to UDub (over UCLA)

This kid might be all sorts of crazy. That said, still sorta miss not landing him. UDub's doing good things with their late charge on recruits here.

Old 01-31-2012, 03:42 PM   #690
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Positive momentum for the UW continues today as WR Jordan Payton picks the Huskies on ESPNU. He's been all over the map, originally committing to USC, came close to flipping for Michigan, then flipped to Cal, and now appears to be final with Washington. Big credit goes to former Cal WR coach Eric Kiesau, now the QB coach and OC at Washington.
Old 01-31-2012, 03:43 PM   #691
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
This kid might be all sorts of crazy.
Maybe you've got better info, but he sounds like a really personable kid who is also easily influenced - the kind of kid who always favors the most recent place he's visited.
Old 01-31-2012, 03:47 PM   #692
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Maybe you've got better info, but he sounds like a really personable kid who is also easily influenced - the kind of kid who always favors the most recent place he's visited.

I could see that. It's the commitment wishy-washiness combined with the opinions of some that Payton is a 5* talent who rested on his laurels after having early success in his HS career (and so never tried to get better). So will he work for it now that he's in college?

Plus, he apparently told all three of Cal, UDub and UCLA that he was coming...at the same time. I have also heard talk of attitude may be an issue (not sure if this is separate from the work ethic concerns).

Point is, the kid's got a ton of talent. If UDub can keep his head from getting in the way, they could have a very good player on their hands.

He reminds me of Randall Carroll.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 01-31-2012 at 03:48 PM.
Old 01-31-2012, 03:49 PM   #693
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Can't argue with any of that. My hope is that being around a guy like Kasen Williams will really push Jordan.
Old 01-31-2012, 05:13 PM   #694
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Tennessee just lost LB Otha Peters to Arkansas.

This was one of our big targets. Thrilled on this one. Couple more now...
Old 01-31-2012, 05:19 PM   #695
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:

I would be stunned if he's anything but the next Dillon Baxter. But he may surprise us all. Probably not a bad thing for UCLA that they can use the scholarship somewhere else now.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 05:23 PM   #696
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
IProbably not a bad thing for UCLA that they can use the scholarship somewhere else now.
I hear they need more defensive backs...
Old 01-31-2012, 05:29 PM   #697
tarcone
Coordinator

DGB was in Texas for the all star game. Petrino was in Texas for a coaches conference. They ran into each other and had a chat. Arkansas admin got wind of this and panicked over possible NCAA issues. Arkansas canceled DGBs recruiting visit.
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 07:05 PM   #698
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:

Whitney Blaine, is that you?

The kid grew up a Cal fan because his dad played there. He grew up working out with Eric Yarber, UCLA's current position coach and was the first to offer him and has been family friends for a while. The family is also pro-UCLA because his mom went there. I think Treggs stays with Cal, but staying local wouldn't surprise anyone, just the school choice of USC. I know it might be hard for you to believe, but Treggs isn't waiting on an SC offer so he can commit...

Last edited by MrBug708 : 01-31-2012 at 07:12 PM.
Old 01-31-2012, 07:12 PM   #699
General Mike
Pro Starter

Darius Hamilton to Rutgers officially.
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 07:15 PM   #700
General Mike
Pro Starter

Also, Longa and Lambert confirmed they will sign tomorrow. Only one person left to reel in.
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote