What a fragging trainwreck.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 01:20 PM   #652
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
This.

What is Facebook's fascination with "Top Stories"? I think most people want to see "Most Recent".

Advertisers will be able to pay them for "Top Stories" positioning?
Old 09-21-2011, 01:28 PM   #653
JediKooter
Coordinator

This pretty much sums up what Facebook is doing. All the information is coming from one place (friends and entities liked. I know it's two, but, they both do only one thing...post things), yet they feel the need to break the info up into categories for some reason.
Attached Images
File Type: png 23.png (286.8 KB, 266 views)

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 01:48 PM   #654
stevew
Hall Of Famer

These changes probably are good for someone who has 500+ friends. For people like me that don't friend that many people, these changes are dumb.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 01:49 PM   #655
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
What is Facebook's fascination with "Top Stories"? I think most people want to see "Most Recent".

Only explanation seems to be that the Zuckhead in charge is a control freak who thinks he knows better than you which posts you really want to see.

The difference between the Boy Scouts & Facebook seems to be that the Scouts have adult leadership.
Old 09-21-2011, 01:52 PM   #656
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

The problem with you people is that you think you know yourself better than Facebook does. You're wrong. Facebook knows what you want to see. Facebook is telling you what you want to see. Stop fighting Facebook and let Facebook have its way. Facebook knows.

It knows.
Old 09-21-2011, 01:59 PM   #657
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
These changes probably are good for someone who has 500+ friends. For people like me that don't friend that many people, these changes are dumb.

This right here makes the most sense.

However, since I'm not a 'friend' collector and have less than 200 friends on my list and even fewer groups, all I see is the most recent post repeated in the window on the right. Thank you Office of Redundancy.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
Old 09-21-2011, 05:30 PM   #658
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs2 View Post

First thing I thought of

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 03:10 PM   #659
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I'm not exactly sure what all the shit is that FB annoucned today, but from the gist of it, I might be deleting my account.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 03:17 PM   #660
JediKooter
Coordinator

I find the lack of screen shots disturbing.

Old 09-22-2011, 03:17 PM   #661
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
I'm not exactly sure what all the shit is that FB annoucned today, but from the gist of it, I might be deleting my account.

hmm?

Okay - I just looked and that is wayyy too much oversharing.

So say I approve the HBO app because I want to interact with Game of Thrones stuff. And say several months go by and then i come back and I watch some racy R-rated movie, or worse, something like CineMax (which is owned by HBO) is folded into the HBO app...now I watch some skinemax movie or something...that's going to show up in my newsfeed for the world to see.

Thank you, fuck no Zuckerberg. Jeezus. What's so hard about letting people control what they share? It's not difficult for people to do - why keep making all the choices for them. Fuck you.

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 09-22-2011 at 03:21 PM.
Old 09-22-2011, 03:23 PM   #662
Ksyrup

They're basically changing FB into an app-driven, privacy-free zone where everything you do is communicated to your friends (and maybe others, who knows) without you having to do anything. I really have no interest in reading a bunch of commercials for companies dressed up in automatic feed updates on my phone that say, "Jason just watched Episode 3, Season 2 of The Wire on Netflix Streaming!" or "Kelly is listening to Backstreet Boys Radio on Pandora!"
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 09-22-2011, 03:25 PM   #663
JediKooter
Coordinator

Ugh...

When does the "Death of Facebook as we know it" thread start?

Or is that the Google+ thread?

Old 09-22-2011, 03:26 PM   #664
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
They're basically changing FB into an app-driven, privacy-free zone where everything you do is communicated to your friends (and maybe others, who knows) without you having to do anything. I really have no interest in reading a bunch of commercials for companies dressed up in automatic feed updates on my phone that say, "Jason just watched Episode 3, Season 2 of The Wire on Netflix Streaming!" or "Kelly is listening to Backstreet Boys Radio on Pandora!"

Yeah - seriously no. No interest from me either.
Old 09-22-2011, 03:26 PM   #665
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKooter View Post
Ugh...

When does the "Death of Facebook as we know it" thread start?

Or is that the Google+ thread?

Go ahead and start it up!
Old 09-22-2011, 03:28 PM   #666
Ksyrup

I could be wrong, but from what I've read about the press conference, that's what I took from it.
Old 09-22-2011, 03:30 PM   #667
Ksyrup

Quote:
Facebook users now can see what their friends are doing "in real time," even if those friends don't click a button to publish their activities to Facebook. By approving certain music apps, a Facebook user would allow the site to post every song he or she listened to on music-streaming service Spotify, for example.

Zuckerberg called this "real-time serendipity."

This is "the most significant change we've made to our platform since we launched it four years ago," Facebook CTO Bret Taylor said.

To promote this real-time sharing, Facebook announced partnerships with Yahoo News, Netflix, Hulu, Spotify, foodie social network Foodspotting and others. These companies have created Facebook apps that can post all of a person's activities on Facebook's new "ticker," which appears in the top right-hand corner of the site's homepage.

Zuckerberg called this a "frictionless experience," since users don't have to click a button to publish each of their activities. If they watch a TV show on Netflix, and they've approved Netflix's app, that information would just automatically appear on Facebook.

The changes will no doubt raise some privacy concerns, and some Internet users who were watching the presentation reacted negatively.
Old 09-22-2011, 03:32 PM   #668
Ksyrup

So basically, take Farmville status updates and multiply them by a million for everything from music to movies to TV to restaurants to news items you read to your location. Now, I guess people have to agree to the apps for this to happen, but even if it's just a few people, I'm getting a bunch of information I don't want.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 09-22-2011 at 03:32 PM.
Old 09-22-2011, 03:34 PM   #669
bhlloy
Coordinator

I generally try to stay relatively calm when it comes to FB (after all it's free and useful) but it doesn't sound like I'll have any use or interest in what they are trying to become. Guess I'll be giving G+ another shot.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 03:43 PM   #670
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

I have 552 friends. I want to see Most Recent. How does it know who the Top people are? What if one my friends I haven't spoken to in a while is going through something?
Old 09-22-2011, 03:44 PM   #671
Ksyrup

FB has decided you don't care.
Old 09-22-2011, 04:06 PM   #672
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
So basically, take Farmville status updates and multiply them by a million for everything from music to movies to TV to restaurants to news items you read to your location. Now, I guess people have to agree to the apps for this to happen, but even if it's just a few people, I'm getting a bunch of information I don't want.

I assume that's why they did this seperation with the right side being a constantly flowing ticket... that's where all of this will go.

Btw, handy chart for deciphering the new Facebook:

http://p.twimg.com/AZ2EZ0YCMAA8Dko.jpg:large
Old 09-22-2011, 04:22 PM   #673
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I assume that's why they did this seperation with the right side being a constantly flowing ticket... that's where all of this will go.

So as long as we've been smart enough to remove the stupid fucking ticker from view, we should be gtg. Well that & making sure not to approve any of the apps that are feeding it.
Old 09-22-2011, 06:12 PM   #674
MacroGuru
Coordinator

So the announcement is why I saw an increase of G+ invites today...
Old 09-22-2011, 06:22 PM   #675
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

You know, I don't mind that FB is trying to give people options for how they see stuff and interact.

What I do mind is it changing stuff. I'd rather them say, "we're going to leave it alone and let you do your own filtering to decide how you want to see what you want to see, but here are all these options you have!" I'm not a fan of FB's algorithm deciding what is important to me.

But I'll still keeping FB, just won't be as useful (?) as it was before.

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 06:53 PM   #676
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

And the great thing in my world- apparently adblock has blocked whatever silly news ticket everyone is up in arms about so in this thread I get to be that a-hole "Use Firefox" guy

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 07:27 PM   #677
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Big image showing what the new Facebook profile page will look like:
Spoiler
Old 09-22-2011, 07:31 PM   #678
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Big image showing what the new Facebook profile page will look like:

The one that has people the most up in arms is the Nike thing, which pretty much hangs a "here's my route in case you'd like to kidnap me & dump the body somewhere later" around your neck.

Well, that's the biggest gripe on the specific apps I've seen. The larger problem is that all of this apparently isn't just on your profile, it's going to be dumped streaming into that godforsaken ticker.
Old 09-22-2011, 07:47 PM   #679
bronconick
College Starter

What earthly reason would anyone sign up for apps that track all that shit? Seems like one of those self inflicted wounds.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 07:52 PM   #680
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronconick View Post
What earthly reason would anyone sign up for apps that track all that shit? Seems like one of those self inflicted wounds.

this. just don't give these stupid useless apps permission.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 08:01 PM   #681
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Old 09-22-2011, 08:05 PM   #682
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

From a design standpoint, I think it's beautiful.
Old 09-23-2011, 11:20 AM   #683
britrock88
Pro Starter

But good design aside, it will inundate us with so much information as to become essentially meaningless.

BTW, no more wall posts?
britrock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 11:39 AM   #684
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ4H View Post
this. just don't give these stupid useless apps permission.

You have no control over whether your friends sign up for all of this hit and it streams into your status updates like all the games shit.
Old 09-23-2011, 11:41 AM   #685
MJ4H
Coordinator

They are going to take away my ability to block apps?
Old 09-23-2011, 11:48 AM   #686
Ksyrup

You can keep yourself from streaming shit onto other people's feeds, but in order to keep other people's shit from your feed, I assume you'll have to manually block all of that shit. That's a pretty terrible design, when you force people to have to actively disengage from the main purpose of your "new and improved" website.
Old 09-23-2011, 12:15 PM   #687
bronconick
College Starter

Quote:
You can keep yourself from streaming shit onto other people's feeds, but in order to keep other people's shit from your feed, I assume you'll have to manually block all of that shit. That's a pretty terrible design, when you force people to have to actively disengage from the main purpose of your "new and improved" website.

Can I still click on the first farmville update I see, click the list where it gives me the option to hide just the post, or all farmville, or all person X?

*checks* Yep. Don't see the problem. Goodbye all Farmville.
Old 09-23-2011, 01:37 PM   #688
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:

FWIW that's the way it already is.
Old 09-23-2011, 01:42 PM   #689
Ksyrup

My understanding is that it's going to explode into tie-in apps for nearly everything you do that's connected to the net, so we get a real-time update when you're watching TV, listening to music, out to eat, as you go place to place, etc. At least, if you agree to all of that (which no doubt a portion of everyopne's friends will do).

Last edited by Ksyrup : 09-23-2011 at 01:43 PM.
Old 09-23-2011, 01:47 PM   #690
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I have the new Timeline profile as well. I think it's quite nice, but not all the intregrated well into the homepage.
Old 09-24-2011, 12:45 AM   #691
bhlloy
Coordinator

So my "tracker" feed is a list of everything some guy I played soccer with for a couple of years is listening to on rdio for the last 5 hours. That's awesome. No really, very useful and exactly why I signed up to use facebook in the first place.

I wonder if he even knows at this point that all his friends can see the shitty music he's listening to.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 10:37 AM   #693
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

I find it pretty easy to remove posts by these other apps that I don't want to see. Not sure what the problem is.

FUCK EA

Last edited by Julio Riddols : 09-24-2011 at 10:39 AM.
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 11:02 PM   #694
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
A worried woman went to her gynecologist and said: 'Doctor, I have a serious problem and desperately need your help! My baby is not even 1 year old and I'm pregnant again. I don't want kids so close together. So the doctor said: 'OK and what do you want me to do?' She said: 'I want you to end my pregnancy, and I'm counting on your help with this.' The doctor thought for a little, and after some silence he said to the lady: 'I think I have a better solution for your problem. It's less dangerous for you too.' She smiled, thinking that the doctor was going to accept her request. Then he continued: 'You see, in order for you not to have to take care 2 babies at the same time, let's kill the one in your arms. This way, you could rest some before the other one is born. If we're going to kill one of them, it doesn't matter which one it is. There would be no risk for your body if you chose the one in your arms. The lady was horrified and said: 'No doctor! How terrible! It's a crime to kill a child! 'I agree', the doctor replied. 'But you seemed to be OK with it, so I thought maybe that was the best solution.' The doctor smiled, realizing that he had made his point. He convinced the mom that there is no difference in killing a child that's already been born and one that's still in the womb. The crime is the same! If you agree, please SHARE. Together we can help save precious lives! "Love says I sacrifice myself for the good of the other person. Abortion says I sacrifice the other person for the good of myself..." Jesus Christ sacrificed Himself for the good of sinners! Thats perfect love!

unfriend.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 11:05 PM   #695
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
unfriend.

seriously.
Old 09-26-2011, 10:16 AM   #696
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Easy way to bother some of the people that get mentioned in this thread.
Old 09-26-2011, 10:36 AM   #697
bronconick
College Starter

Quote:

Easy way to bother some of the people that get mentioned in this thread.

Right-clicked, and saved.
Old 09-26-2011, 10:48 AM   #698
DanGarion
Coordinator

Already posted my first Facebook Gold picture! It's awesome having a selective account now that I paid money!
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 02:56 PM   #699
JediKooter
Coordinator

From a mom that doesn't use birth control...

"What's a mom worth?According to one report, $138,095 a year, working an average of over 52 hours overtime-only by the grace of our Mighty God has he equipped me to be a Mom,housekeeper, teacher, cook, computer operator, laundry machine operator, janitor, facilities manager,CEO and psychologist."

Old 09-26-2011, 03:00 PM   #700
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKooter View Post
From a mom that doesn't use birth control...

"What's a mom worth?According to one report, $138,095 a year, working an average of over 52 hours overtime-only by the grace of our Mighty God has he equipped me to be a Mom,housekeeper, teacher, cook, computer operator, laundry machine operator, janitor, facilities manager,CEO and psychologist."

I had a similar one over the weekend, something about a guy who prays and asks to be his wife (stay at home mom) for a day so he can take it easy.

Then goes through the eleventy-billion things he (she) has to do that one day, and asks to be changed back to go to his less demanding job.

It referenced doing laundry, vacuuming, scrubbing floors, etc etc each day. I said "If you have to continually do the same thing daily, you are probably doing it wrong" and got a "YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND!!!!!"
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote