Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-17-2010, 05:57 PM   #651
Groundhog
Coordinator

I was having a convo yesterday about who you'd rather start your team with - Durant or Carmelo.

Tough choice IMO. I think Durant is a little more rounded, but Carmelo is one of the best scorers in the NBA and is probably the most clutch guy in the league to boot. I think I'd go with Durant, but I might change my mind tomorrow.
Old 01-17-2010, 06:33 PM   #652
RainMaker
General Manager

I'd probably say Durant because his height is such an advantage and creates horrible mismatches. I also think he'll add on some more weight in the coming years which will make him even tougher.

The biggest might be off-the-court issues which Anthony has a few while Durant has been squeaky clean so far from what I know.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 07:16 PM   #653
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
I was having a convo yesterday about who you'd rather start your team with - Durant or Carmelo.

Tough choice IMO. I think Durant is a little more rounded, but Carmelo is one of the best scorers in the NBA and is probably the most clutch guy in the league to boot. I think I'd go with Durant, but I might change my mind tomorrow.

As a die hard Nuggets fan, I'd hate to make this call.

Why Melo deserves to win that:

1) He can score from anywhere. Post, three, FT line, outside, inside, on the break. There isn't a way to score that Melo isn't A+ at.

2) Incredibly clutch player.

3) Very good man on man defender when he wants to be. Not at all a good help defender.

4) He's a vastly underrated passer. His passing rating on 82games is a 7.9, Durant is a 2.8. (Kobe is 8.3, lebron 11.5, Wade 8.6 for comparison)

Why Durant deserves it:

1) As the debate is close, all of the age, height type questions favor Durant. Four years younger, an inch taller with a much wider wingspan, and still has upside.

2) Has a much better feel for the game. A better IQ.

3) Those long arms make him a better help defender now and probably a better overall defender down the road.

4) He's probably a better pure shooter than Melo. That means when he learns which shots to take and which ones to give up, he'll see his percentage rise.

As for weaknesses, Melo is not a great rebounder, can play lax at times and is not a great ball handler.

Durant is an incredibly poor passer right now. That passing rating is very low for comparable SF/PF tweeners. He is about even with Dirk, but he's not near the shooter Dirk is. You handle the ball as much as he does, you need to pass it better and not average 4 turnovers a night.

Starting a team today, i take Melo by a narrow margain.

For the future, I'd likely go with Durant.

But it's close right now. We need another 5 years worth of history to see where this is headed for sure.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 07:30 PM   #654
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Where did I say that? Cleveland is still one of the best teams in the league.

Shall we avoid commenting on teams that the Clippers play so your feelings don't get hurt? If it cheers you up, the win against Boston was impressive as they are the best road team in the East (probably the best team too).

Fair enough. At least we're better than the Bulls.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 04:10 AM   #655
whomario
Pro Starter

Durant to me is the best "raw" scorer in basketball right now (meaning not the most polished or the most physichally unstoppable, but amazing in his own right. Yeah, ok that doesnīt make much sense ...).
If he were a better passer and had more potent teammates (offensively and as shooters i mean. Obviously they are good defensively and Westbrook can attack the shit out of people) and thus had less pressure on him than he could average 35+ a game right now in his 3rd year.
Even with teams basically having a green light to double and pressure him heīs putting up 29 a game on near 49% shooting and overall great efficiency (and heīs just started to hit the 3 ball again, after 25% on 4 attempts in his first 17 games, now heīs back up to 36% allready and rising)
The kid is 21 and averaging 29 a game on a playoff calibre team built on defensive ability.

Heīs not a bad defender himself like said, has made huge strides since his rookie season (well, that he had to play the 2 there didnīt help much).

Last edited by whomario : 01-18-2010 at 04:13 AM.
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 08:19 AM   #656
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

As long as the C's get all their horses healthy for the playoffs they'll be fine, so I'll try to avoid going into histrionics over every loss (particularly when they've been killed by injuries lately).
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 08:52 AM   #657
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by whomario View Post
Durant to me is the best "raw" scorer in basketball right now (meaning not the most polished or the most physichally unstoppable, but amazing in his own right. Yeah, ok that doesnīt make much sense ...).
If he were a better passer and had more potent teammates (offensively and as shooters i mean. Obviously they are good defensively and Westbrook can attack the shit out of people) and thus had less pressure on him than he could average 35+ a game right now in his 3rd year.
Even with teams basically having a green light to double and pressure him heīs putting up 29 a game on near 49% shooting and overall great efficiency (and heīs just started to hit the 3 ball again, after 25% on 4 attempts in his first 17 games, now heīs back up to 36% allready and rising)
The kid is 21 and averaging 29 a game on a playoff calibre team built on defensive ability.

Heīs not a bad defender himself like said, has made huge strides since his rookie season (well, that he had to play the 2 there didnīt help much).

The only problem is how do they improve their offense without making their defense worse? Their offense is 21st in efficiency. Defense is 5th. That defense has 3 guys capable of making the all defensive team. (Green, Sefolosha, Westbrook) None of those guys can shoot worth a crap.

The logical move is to get rid of Green as his +/- is horrible and he can't shoot a lick.
Old 01-18-2010, 08:53 AM   #658
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Fair enough. At least we're better than the Bulls.
We may have a better coach than you do and trust me, I can only say that about a couple teams.
Old 01-18-2010, 09:57 AM   #659
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post
The only problem is how do they improve their offense without making their defense worse? Their offense is 21st in efficiency. Defense is 5th. That defense has 3 guys capable of making the all defensive team. (Green, Sefolosha, Westbrook) None of those guys can shoot worth a crap.

The logical move is to get rid of Green as his +/- is horrible and he can't shoot a lick.

To be honest, i carefully avoided that "issue" in hopes no one notices
I mean, itīs tough to decide who to replace, even Green despite his bad numbers obviously has value in that team and you donīt lightly trade a young guy from a young team thatīs defining itself by playing as a unit.

Donīt see him as that good a defender though, at least not playing the 4 spot (and with Durant, heīll allways have to), there he is average, if that. This whole "look at the smaller guy holding his own" sympathy aside, he gets scored on a lot subjectively and fairs terrible statistically via 82 games.

Their 8th/9th men in Maynor and Ibaka also donīt fit the bill as shooters at all, Maynor maybe but not prototypical. And both have looked good otherwise, Ibaka amazing in stretches and producing at a 12/11 with 2 blocks per 36 clip with very promising defense.

Itīs tough to decide what to do here, really.

But yeah, in an ideal move they would somehow get rid of Green, but even then it would have to be for a PF with 3 point range because otherwise youīll have to part ways with Sefolosha or Harden to make room for a perimeter shooter.
Durant should play all minutes at the 3, thatīs where heīs most effective, so youīd need a 2 guard or a 1/2 combo guard that can shoot which would eat into Sefoloshaīs or Hardenīs minutes.

So iīd just try to defend the hell out of oponents and see what happens.

Iīm glad Sefolosha landed here, fits that bill perfectly and is one of the best perimeter defenders in the game by now. Really canīt do much offensively (5.9 PPG in 30 minutes) but defensively ...

Last edited by whomario : 01-18-2010 at 10:15 AM.
Old 01-18-2010, 12:37 PM   #660
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
We may have a better coach than you do and trust me, I can only say that about a couple teams.

You actually have an okay decent coach, IMO (not great certainly, but not as bad as he's made out), but he's part of an ass organization that doesn't know how to handle a coaching search. And at least the crappy coach we have is a decent GM.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 01-18-2010, 04:34 PM   #661
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:

While I think Green could be a pretty good player, yeah, he's not the guy I'd want starting at PF for my team. I think he's best suited to a 6th man role as a combo-forward than he is as a pure PF.
Old 01-18-2010, 04:34 PM   #662
Groundhog
Coordinator

dola

Kinda like a Charlie V.
Old 01-18-2010, 04:42 PM   #663
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
You actually have an okay decent coach, IMO (not great certainly, but not as bad as he's made out), but he's part of an ass organization that doesn't know how to handle a coaching search. And at least the crappy coach we have is a decent GM.
I agree on the organization, but he's not a qualified head coach. Took him a year and a half to figure out you could run isos with Rose. Almost every game he burns through his timeouts early. Probably fine for a real small market but this is Chciago, we should be going big time with all our coaches.
Old 01-18-2010, 04:46 PM   #664
RainMaker
General Manager

Derrick Rose is really coming into his own. Was a little scared early on but at some point someone told him that he's the only good offensive player on the team and to just take over. He's averaging 22.8 points and 7.3 assists. Shooting over 50% too and has been clutch down the stretch.
Old 01-18-2010, 04:47 PM   #665
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I agree on the organization, but he's not a qualified head coach. Took him a year and a half to figure out you could run isos with Rose. Almost every game he burns through his timeouts early. Probably fine for a real small market but this is Chciago, we should be going big time with all our coaches.

Well, I'm just figuring he's somewhere in the bottom ten, not necessarily the bottom three. You're right, he's no great shakes as a coach.

FWIW, on the organizational level, I would guess your owner is better than ours.

Old 01-18-2010, 04:49 PM   #666
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Well, I'm just figuring he's somewhere in the bottom ten, not necessarily the bottom three. You're right, he's no great shakes as a coach.

FWIW, on the organizational level, I would guess your owner is better than ours.
I heard this the other day and I believe it's true. The Clippers and Bulls are the only two teams to have not paid the luxury tax once in their history.
Old 01-18-2010, 04:52 PM   #667
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I heard this the other day and I believe it's true. The Clippers and Bulls are the only two teams to have not paid the luxury tax once in their history.

lmao, not surprised. I definitely know that's the case with the Clips. The Bulls got their dynasty done just in time.

Old 01-19-2010, 03:27 AM   #668
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:
Derrick Rose is really coming into his own. Was a little scared early on but at some point someone told him that he's the only good offensive player on the team and to just take over. He's averaging 22.8 points and 7.3 assists. Shooting over 50% too and has been clutch down the stretch.

still a very uneffective scorer. 19 Points on 17.2 shots, doesnīt shoot 3s and doesnīt get all that many FTs (4 a game)
Great player, no doubt but itīll be tough to win a lot with your best player a perimeter guy not taking 3s or getting to the line at a great clip.

btw : Monta Ellis took 39 shots last night, wholy F I know they basically have 4 NBA calibre players healthy right now (their bench ? Cartier Martin, Anthony Tolliver, Chris Hunter) , but damn thatīs a lot of shots.
Stephen Curry with a few nice games in the last few weeks, nice

Mavs with a nice win at Boston, although they are struggling and missed Garnett. Rivers blew it by sitting Sheed with his 4th foul way to long. Scalabrine and Big Baby had no chance at all to check Nowitzki, who brought the Mavs back by himself during that stretch.
Old 01-19-2010, 04:51 AM   #669
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
still a very uneffective scorer. 19 Points on 17.2 shots, doesnīt shoot 3s and doesnīt get all that many FTs (4 a game)
Great player, no doubt but itīll be tough to win a lot with your best player a perimeter guy not taking 3s or getting to the line at a great clip.
Agreed (although his effectiveness has gone up since his ankle healed) and because of that I don't think he'll ever be the best player on a championship caliber team. I do think he can be a top #2 guy that you pair with a big time scorer.

Offensively I still think his game is developing. He's uneffective primarily because he is really the only major offensive threat the Bulls have. They don't really have anyone who can create their own shots consistently and often get into situations where they just give it to Rose and tell everyone to move out of the way.

As you mentioned also, he doesn't get to the FT line much. He sort of tries to avoid contact everytime he drives instead of creating it like a guy like Wade does. There are times when you have a defender beat or out of position and you just need to make sure you draw the foul instead of trying to hit the bucket. I think that's something you learn as you mature (he is only 21). I'd add that he really gets very little respect from the officials so far which hopefully changes (he is real shy and does not complain or sell a foul well).

Ultimately the Bulls best shot is picking up one of the major free agents. If they can get a Lebron or Wade, they're the top contender in my book. You pair one of those with Rose, Noah (who may be an All-Star) and Deng. I'd even settle for a scorer like Joe Johnson or a post guy like Bosh. Basically they need a guy on this team to give them 25 points to push them into the elite teams.
Old 01-19-2010, 04:53 AM   #670
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
lmao, not surprised. I definitely know that's the case with the Clips. The Bulls got their dynasty done just in time.
Was reading today that the Clippers knew all along that there was little to no shot that Griffin would play this season. Bill Simmons was ripping them for lying to ticket holders and fans so they wouldn't lose sales.
Old 01-19-2010, 06:40 AM   #671
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Was reading today that the Clippers knew all along that there was little to no shot that Griffin would play this season. Bill Simmons was ripping them for lying to ticket holders and fans so they wouldn't lose sales.

Does Simmons have a source on that? While it certainly doesn't surprise me, my understanding is that sort of injury, the return rate is about what was quoted from the start (2-3 months without surgery). And while misleading the fans is one thing, but I find it surprising they would take the non-surgery risk with their top draft pick in some time, all the way to the point of allowing him to start basketball activities, just to deceive fans. I mean, theyw ould be deceiving Griffin, too, in that case, and risking the injury becoming more severe. That doesn't make much sense for a few extra dollars (not like there are a lot of bandwaggoners out there for the Clips, the ones who buy tickets are diehards, they buy tickets anyway).

Old 01-19-2010, 07:20 AM   #672
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Does Simmons have a source on that? While it certainly doesn't surprise me, my understanding is that sort of injury, the return rate is about what was quoted from the start (2-3 months without surgery). And while misleading the fans is one thing, but I find it surprising they would take the non-surgery risk with their top draft pick in some time, all the way to the point of allowing him to start basketball activities, just to deceive fans. I mean, theyw ould be deceiving Griffin, too, in that case, and risking the injury becoming more severe. That doesn't make much sense for a few extra dollars (not like there are a lot of bandwaggoners out there for the Clips, the ones who buy tickets are diehards, they buy tickets anyway).
Not sure, caught it on his Twitter. He is a season ticket holder to the Clippers and I know has some real good connections with the team and NBA. He compared it to the Oden injury which is exactly the same. Blazers came out right away and said Oden was done and was having the surgery while Clippers waited 10 weeks before having the surgery.

Maybe he's just pissed off being a ticket holder but I do think he has good connections.
Old 01-19-2010, 09:48 AM   #673
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Not sure, caught it on his Twitter. He is a season ticket holder to the Clippers and I know has some real good connections with the team and NBA. He compared it to the Oden injury which is exactly the same. Blazers came out right away and said Oden was done and was having the surgery while Clippers waited 10 weeks before having the surgery.

Maybe he's just pissed off being a ticket holder but I do think he has good connections.

I am gonna wait to see a real source on that. Not to doubt Simmons, but things don't jive with his version.

Old 01-23-2010, 05:49 AM   #674
whomario
Pro Starter

How bad are the Nets ?

Quote:
“We showed some fight and effort but it was too little, too late. This is another game where we could not hit a shot when we needed it.”

says Vandeweghe, after a 79-111 trashing againste the Warriors where they lost the 2nd half 35-61. Wouldnīt want to see them when they are not showing "some fight and effort".

After a trashing against the Warriors, who played Anthony Tolliver and Cartier Martin 35+ minutes and lost Ellis basically after the first quarter.

This team is seriously fucked up, god damn are they terrible. Worst NBA team iīve ever witnessed, definitely.

They donīt do anything good or even ok, not a single thing. Canīt rebound, canīt shoot, canīt move the ball, canīt defend, donīt run the floor, donīt rotate defensivley.

Stephen Curry with another great game, 32 points on 11-21 shooting. Over the last 10 games heīs averaging 18.5/4/5 with 2 steals shooting 49% from the field and 52% from 3.

Definitely looks like a promising NBA PG. And i donīt think itīs because of Nellieīs "system", he hardly touches the ball on many nights when Monta Ellis is doing his Michael Jordan impersonation.

Blazers with a great effort against the Celtics (with Garnett back), loosing in OT without Roy (and Oden, Przybilla, Outlaw and Batum ...)
Andre Miller is averaging 20 Points and 7 assists in 10 games in January, shooting 50+ percent.
Maybe Roy recognizes that the guy can flat out play and should have the ball in his hands more often.

Kobe looks very shaky recently, seems really bothered by thos nagging injuries. Lakers donīt have people to really take up the slack, really no one else who can create his own shot.
But they play good enough defense and are overall talented enough to win games. Still, if they would go into the playoffs in this state i think they are beatable.

Grizzlies win their 10th home game in a row And oh, Thabeet looks really good at times defensively. Offense is meh, but he really starts to grasp what to do and what not to do on defense and really impacts games at times.

The Suns suck right now, ugh ...

Still 2 games between the 4th and the 11th spot in the West, thatīs going to be interesting

Brandon Jennings is struggling big time unfortunately ... After shooting just 38% in December, heīs shooting 30% in January (11 games)
Old 01-23-2010, 11:45 AM   #675
TroyF
Coordinator

Blazers playing very well despite the injuries. Phoenix is about to hold a fire sale. They are fading fast and are clearly not one of the top 8 in the west right now.

OKC/Memphis/NO are all playing terrific basketball. At this point, I'd rather face Houston/Utah/Phoenix who are all above them in the standings.

This trading deadline is going to be VERY interesting. In the west, Dallas/Denver/SA could all position themselves for the two seed and a realistic shot at the Lakers with a great trade. In the East, the three superpowers could all make a huge move to become the favorites if they made the right deal.

I know the player the Nuggets NEED, I just don't think they have enough to get him. Troy Murphy would be the perfect fit. Big man who can shoot outside, stretch the D, get out of Melo and the slashers way and rebound the ball.

The Mavericks will regret it if they deal for Kevin Martin. love his shooting ability, but the guy simply can't play defense. Teams like the Lakers, Spurs and Blazers would simply abuse him. Meanwhile, the Mavs difficult matchup (Denver) would be thrilled as well. Martin can't D up on JR Smith man on man. You start helping him out to cover JR, the Nuggets real threats get more open looks. I understand the guy can shoot. . . but I don't like how he fits with Dallas.
Old 01-23-2010, 04:58 PM   #676
stevew
Hall Of Famer

The Cavs>everyone right now. I'd like to see us get another bench scorer. I think not getting Stephen Jackson was a mistake. Hopefully someone similar will be available. Losing Mo will hurt for the next month.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 08:01 PM   #677
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
The Cavs>everyone right now. I'd like to see us get another bench scorer. I think not getting Stephen Jackson was a mistake. Hopefully someone similar will be available. Losing Mo will hurt for the next month.
I think David West would be an interesting option for you guys. I would guess it would be Z for him and someone else.

Just looking at the Bulls, I thought an interesting trade would be Kirk Hinrich (or John Salmons) and Tyrus Thomas for Z. Gives you guys a really athletic PF who hits the offensive glass real well and is one of the best shot blockers in the game. Hinrich is a nice backup guard who can play both guard spots and is a solid defender. Salmons would be the other option if you didn't want Hinrich's long contract.

Basically gives you some depth and more athleticism in the front court.
Old 01-23-2010, 09:39 PM   #678
Cuckoo
College Starter

Two heartbreaking losses in two nights for the Thunder. I'm pleased as punch about this season so far, but those games just kill my blood pressure and really get me down. They're an exciting bunch, but they haven't learned how to close out, it seems.
Old 01-23-2010, 10:21 PM   #679
RainMaker
General Manager

Saw the end of that game, tough way to lose tonight.
Old 01-23-2010, 10:42 PM   #680
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I don't think Z will get traded. After all the shit he gas been through I think it would be shitty to trade him. Not saying that I think we will be spraying champagne in June. But if he isn't a part of it I will be upset. He had like 5 foot surgeries and came back. And while he isn't the player he was 3 to 4 years ago, I'd hate to see him discarded like a piece of meat.

Besides. Wally works in virtually every scenerio that Z would. League office might get pissy. And other teams might get Butt hurt. But right now I think the team has virtually infinite resources.
Old 01-26-2010, 05:56 AM   #681
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
I don't think Z will get traded. After all the shit he gas been through I think it would be shitty to trade him. Not saying that I think we will be spraying champagne in June. But if he isn't a part of it I will be upset. He had like 5 foot surgeries and came back. And while he isn't the player he was 3 to 4 years ago, I'd hate to see him discarded like a piece of meat.

Besides. Wally works in virtually every scenerio that Z would. League office might get pissy. And other teams might get Butt hurt. But right now I think the team has virtually infinite resources.
Wally also just signed a deal with CBS to cover college basketball. Does he want to give up his new job right away to sit on the bench for a crappy team? I don't know what his financial situation is, but I think if his goal is to get into broadcasting, it'll take a really sweet deal to get him to do it.

I understand wanting to see Z earn a title, but it's just business. The team is much better with a David West in the lineup. While they have a shot at winning it with Z, I do think a healthy Boston team is going to be tough to beat in the playoffs. Not to mention an Orlando team that is just a bad matchup for them. And of course the Lakers in the finals. I just think Cleveland needs one more good player to get them over the hump.

The city deserves a championship and I hope sentimental value toward a player doesn't hold them back from getting it.

Last edited by RainMaker : 01-26-2010 at 05:56 AM.
Old 01-26-2010, 06:28 AM   #682
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:
Wally also just signed a deal with CBS to cover college basketball. Does he want to give up his new job right away to sit on the bench for a crappy team? I don't know what his financial situation is, but I think if his goal is to get into broadcasting, it'll take a really sweet deal to get him to do it.

Canīt he just report and then get bought out or sth ?

What is the deal with his contract anyway, heīs not on Clevelandīt payroll acording to hoopshypes salarie list ? Wasnīt he the big expiring last year ?
The why would he work in the same scenarios as Z ?
Old 01-26-2010, 02:54 PM   #683
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:

Cavs are playing great ball. .. but I still think at the end of the day the Magic are a team they won't be able to beat. I know, I know, the Magic are a mess right now. Vince isn't playing well, nobody is jelling well, etc. I just think they'll get it together come playoff time.

The other thing that scares me about the Cavs is how many close games they are involved in. Look at January's close games:

3 point loss vs. Charlotte (back to back)

2 point loss @Denver. Denver was missing Carmelo in the game.

3 point win @Golden State. (back to back)

1 point loss @Utah

1 point win @Clippers

8 point win vs.Raptors in a game that was a 4 point game with 1:35 left

6 point win vs. Lakers in a game that where Pau missed two FT in a two point game with 35 seconds left. This is the game that really concerns me about the Cavs. You hold the Lakers to 38% shooting, shoot more FT than they do, and it's a 2 point game with the Lakers having a chance to tie late? Look, no matter how good your d is, the Lakers aren't going to shoot 38% that often.

1 point win vs. OKC

1 point win @Miami

OK, 9 of 12 games are gut wrenching games down to the wire. Only NJ, Washington and a game in Portland were in control throughout the fourth. (NJ got to within 5 with 5 minutes left, but I don't count that, it's flipping NJ, they weren't winning the game)

Don't get me wrong, it's impressive as hell they are winning as much as they are. Close or not, wins are wins. That said, they aren't fooling anyone right now. These teams aren't walking away going "it's Cleveland and everyone else" They are walking away going "we have a chance at these guys"

James can will them to W's in regular season games. Is the rest of the team going to wake up for the playoffs or not? If they don't, they will go down again.
Old 01-26-2010, 03:19 PM   #684
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Canīt he just report and then get bought out or sth ?

What is the deal with his contract anyway, heīs not on Clevelandīt payroll acording to hoopshypes salarie list ? Wasnīt he the big expiring last year ?
The why would he work in the same scenarios as Z ?

He made 14m last year(expiring). He could be signed and traded without BYC compensation up to a value of approximately 16m dollars. So if the deal is prorated from the middle of February, he'd get about 1/3 of the amount of money for a sign & trade.

So, basically they can create an expiring contract, and send some cash with him. The team would only be on the hook for two months guaranteed.

So-Wally signs for 3/24(one year guaranteed), and the cavs throw in a bunch of cash, they can make a deal work. See Keith Van Horn a few years ago.
Old 01-26-2010, 03:20 PM   #685
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Cavs are playing great ball. .. but I still think at the end of the day the Magic are a team they won't be able to beat. I know, I know, the Magic are a mess right now. Vince isn't playing well, nobody is jelling well, etc. I just think they'll get it together come playoff time.

The other thing that scares me about the Cavs is how many close games they are involved in. Look at January's close games:

3 point loss vs. Charlotte (back to back)

2 point loss @Denver. Denver was missing Carmelo in the game.

3 point win @Golden State. (back to back)

1 point loss @Utah

1 point win @Clippers

8 point win vs.Raptors in a game that was a 4 point game with 1:35 left

6 point win vs. Lakers in a game that where Pau missed two FT in a two point game with 35 seconds left. This is the game that really concerns me about the Cavs. You hold the Lakers to 38% shooting, shoot more FT than they do, and it's a 2 point game with the Lakers having a chance to tie late? Look, no matter how good your d is, the Lakers aren't going to shoot 38% that often.

1 point win vs. OKC

1 point win @Miami

OK, 9 of 12 games are gut wrenching games down to the wire. Only NJ, Washington and a game in Portland were in control throughout the fourth. (NJ got to within 5 with 5 minutes left, but I don't count that, it's flipping NJ, they weren't winning the game)

Don't get me wrong, it's impressive as hell they are winning as much as they are. Close or not, wins are wins. That said, they aren't fooling anyone right now. These teams aren't walking away going "it's Cleveland and everyone else" They are walking away going "we have a chance at these guys"

James can will them to W's in regular season games. Is the rest of the team going to wake up for the playoffs or not? If they don't, they will go down again.

Hence why we need another bench scorer/scorer in general.
Old 01-26-2010, 04:03 PM   #686
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
He made 14m last year(expiring). He could be signed and traded without BYC compensation up to a value of approximately 16m dollars. So if the deal is prorated from the middle of February, he'd get about 1/3 of the amount of money for a sign & trade.

So, basically they can create an expiring contract, and send some cash with him. The team would only be on the hook for two months guaranteed.

So-Wally signs for 3/24(one year guaranteed), and the cavs throw in a bunch of cash, they can make a deal work. See Keith Van Horn a few years ago.

Yeah, that's how it would be done. I still think it's no slam dunk with Wally taking a new job. If he's really dedicated to this post-playing career, I don't think he'll do it.

Ilgauskas works perfectly in so many trades that I just think he'll be the odd man out when all is said and done. I'd like to see the Cavs pickup a nice player because it would make an epic NBA Finals, but I think Ferry blows.
Old 01-26-2010, 04:31 PM   #687
stevew
Hall Of Famer

How bad are these Nets? 3-40?

I think it's virtually impossible to suck that bad. Won't they win around 12-15 games this season still? I mean only being on pace for 5 wins just isn't possible.
Old 01-26-2010, 04:43 PM   #688
Groundhog
Coordinator

Strange thing about the Nets is that they are solid at PG and C, but the talent level REALLY drops off big-time after that. CDR's production has strangely fallen off the face of the Earth too.
Old 01-26-2010, 05:38 PM   #689
RainMaker
General Manager

And my Bulls lost at home to them.
Old 01-26-2010, 07:19 PM   #690
Groundhog
Coordinator

David Lee is a beast.
Old 01-26-2010, 07:20 PM   #691
Groundhog
Coordinator

dola

Two years ago, I would never have imagined typing the above statement in a million years ago.
Old 01-27-2010, 08:02 AM   #692
whomario
Pro Starter

Yeah, and to think that this is a guy that basically until well into last season was labeled as a hustle player, to have that guy go out and show off that sort of skillset is amazing.
He was more of this type of player for Florida, but definitely not to this extent either.
He needs to play next to a Center and then heīll be even better. Donīt be fooled, heīs quick and agile enough to even be a mismatch for 80% of the starting PFs in this league, amazing mobility and great ballhandling for a 4.
I he had an ok center next to him heīd be ok defensively imo.
And with a better PG that can really run the Pick & Roll heīd be a monster as well (no one covers Duhon on a Pick and Roll, just to weak of a scorer)

Heck, in 12 January games heīs averaging nearly 5 Assist a night to go with 21/13 (although not as efficient scoring, needs 17.5 FGA) . And only 2 TO a game.

His season stats are now 19.6/11.6/3.4

btw : only 15 players since 1980 have had 11+/3.5+ for rebounds/assists.

(just had to use the great search engine they have at basketball-reference : Play Index | Basketball-Reference.com Very fun little tool )

btw : Since Clevelands close games were brought up, the Mavs just won a record tying 10th straight game that was decided by 1 point (dating back to 2007) and are 14-3 in games decided by 5 or less points this year.

Saw one of this seasonīs uglier games between Sacramento and Golden State, ugh ... Both teams shooting terrible (38% Sac, 32% GS), combining for 8-38 from outside, no boxing out, terrible decicions and just not a lot of heady play really.
That both teams almost reached 100 with this shooting numbers speaks volumes for the game, like 2 head-less chicken. Disgustingly weak interior defense and crappy refereeing on top of it (thatīs why there were 75 FTs between both teams).

Stephen Curry kind of a bright spot, best player on either side. Relatively good shooting at 10-22, 29 points, 9 boards and 6 assists with just 1 TO.

Biedrins looks like crap, that layoff did a number on him really ... Little side fact : Heīs now 2-20 from the FT line this year ... Have you seen him shoot FTs ? Funniest thing this side of Chuck Hayes shooting FTs

Last edited by whomario : 01-27-2010 at 08:08 AM.
Old 01-27-2010, 09:55 AM   #693
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

However, let's not forget that this year he is playing for Mike D'Antoni and the SSOL.
Old 01-27-2010, 11:57 AM   #694
TroyF
Coordinator

Lawson isn't invited to the rookie game.

Does anyone in the league office even watch the games? Ty is worse than Flynn? Really. Go ahead, make your case for that so I can laugh my ass off.
Old 01-27-2010, 05:32 PM   #695
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Arenas & Crit both suspended for the remainder of the season.

Gilbert Arenas, Javaris Crittenton suspended for rest of season - ESPN
Old 01-27-2010, 07:01 PM   #696
Ironhead
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neon_Chaos View Post
However, let's not forget that this year he is playing for Mike D'Antoni and the SSOL.

The Knicks have not tried to run SSOL since the first 10 games or so of the season. D'Antoni finally realized the team doesn't have the talent to run his offense. The Knicks are basically just running a traditional half court offense these days. Here is an blurb from early December.

Quote:
Mike D'Antoni, inventor of the "Seven Seconds or Less" offense, admits he has tinkered with his formula during the Knicks' surge, having slowed the attack.

"As long as it's 24 seconds or less," D'Antoni said jokingly before the Knicks won their fourth straight and fifth in six games in a comeback victory over the Hornets at New Orleans Arena.

D'Antoni said the dramatic change came after their franchise-worst 1-9 start, finally realizing the talent does not translate to speedball. When D'Antoni accepted the Knicks job before the 2008-09 season, there were questions if D'Antoni would adapt his system to the talent. It took him a while, but he's finally adjusted.

Last edited by Ironhead : 01-27-2010 at 07:02 PM.
Ironhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 09:30 PM   #697
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

Bulls win their 4th in a row, fun team to watch.

I really hope Derrick makes the all-star team tomorrow.
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 09:34 PM   #698
Groundhog
Coordinator

New Jersey Nets!
Old 01-27-2010, 10:42 PM   #699
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuqua View Post
Bulls win their 4th in a row, fun team to watch.

I really hope Derrick makes the all-star team tomorrow.
I thought we wouldn't win a game on this road trip the way it started. 4 in a row on the road against teams with winning records. The only negative is that it's really based on Rose getting really hot from mid-range and he's not drawing enough fouls. But still, these shots are wide open so maybe he can keep it up.

I hope Derrick gets the All-Star nod too. He's been one of the best PG in the league since recovering from the ankle and he's getting double teamed on almost every possesion.

Last edited by RainMaker : 01-27-2010 at 10:43 PM.
Old 01-28-2010, 08:06 AM   #700
TroyF
Coordinator

Nuggets are quietly rolling through January. 11-2 this month with wins @Utah (Melo and Billups out), vs. Cleveland (Melo and Lawson out), vs. Orlando (Lawson out), vs. Utah, vs. New Orleans, vs. Charlotte (Melo out) and @Houston (Melo out)

The two losses were by a combined 5 points on back to backs, once without Melo and Billups, the other without Melo. They now own the third best record in basketball heading into a fairly difficult stretch.

the frustrating thing is all the games blown. They are 20-7 vs. above .500 teams. 11-7 vs. below .500 teams. (for comparisons sake, the Lakers are 18-10 vs. .500 or above teams right now. 17-3 vs. under .500 teams)

Should be a fun game Friday night in OKC.

I don't think there is any question Amare is moving. The only question is to who and for what. I think the Sixers are trading Iggy, the Bulls are shipping Hinrich, the Warriors will ship anybody for anything and the Wizards the same. I really think this is going to be one hell of a trading deadline. I hope Denver does something to improve. I know the Lakers, Spurs, Mavericks and other Western powers will not sit still. Having said that, I hope they don't just trade for the sake of trading either. Either improve or stand pat.