Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-24-2010, 12:18 PM   #651
timmynausea
College Starter

Remember last night when I said the finale conversation between Christian and Jack worked on a 2nd level as a conversation between the creators and fans? This was Damon Lindelof's tweet shortly after the finale ended on the West Coast.

DamonLindelof - Remember. Let go. Move on. I will miss it more than I can ever say.
timmynausea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 12:25 PM   #652
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Incidentally I would totally watch a spin-off of Hurley and Ben ruling the island, but only if it were a documentary-style sitcom.
Old 05-24-2010, 12:36 PM   #653
Easy Mac

I'd say likely no. It was more how people remembered each other and/or their state around the time of the crash.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 12:36 PM   #654
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by brassmonkey32 View Post
Did Claire's and Sun's baby died as babies when we saw them in the church?

I don't think the age at which we saw everyone in the church has anything to do with the age that they died. If that were the case, then it would mean that everyone died within a few years of leaving the island, right? Ben, Kate, Sawyer, etc...all looked the exact same age-wise.
Old 05-24-2010, 12:54 PM   #655
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmynausea View Post
Little bit more on the ratings. The last half an hour apparently went up by 2.5 million to 15.5:

20.5 Million Watch At Least Six Minutes of LOST Finale - TV Ratings, Nielsen Ratings, Television Show Ratings | TVbytheNumbers.com

Was that due to the Laker game? I'm not sure what time it ended and how that correlated with the numbers on the East coast but I was thinking it might have interfered a bit.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 01:00 PM   #656
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

residual self image like in the Matrix
Chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 01:03 PM   #657
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

I like to think that they are the grown Aaron and Ji Yeon but they are stuck in their baby bodies.
Old 05-24-2010, 01:24 PM   #658
Easy Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs2 View Post
I like to think that they are the grown Aaron and Ji Yeon but they are stuck in their baby bodies.

Dear Lord Baby Jesus, lying there in your...your little ghost manger, lookin' at your Baby Einstein developmental...videos, learnin' 'bout shapes and colors...
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 01:25 PM   #659
timmynausea
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanGarion View Post
Was that due to the Laker game? I'm not sure what time it ended and how that correlated with the numbers on the East coast but I was thinking it might have interfered a bit.

That is a good question. I had assumed it was due to a large number of people that had given up on the show over the years (it had lost about half of its peak audience by the 6th season) still being curious enough to check in for the final 30 minutes. You could be right, though.
Old 05-24-2010, 02:19 PM   #660
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
If you found the deus ex machina of Christian Shephard explaining how purgatory works, and sloppily tying up this seasons loose ends in the last 5 minutes of the show, a moving and compelling finale, then I don't get how you can turn around and say that it would be impossible to gracefully do the same with at least some of the show's pile of other, unresolved crap.

I guess that's one way to say it, tho I think I would have used "nicer" words

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubby View Post

Quote:
So, if in What They Died For, Jacob said a line about how he's stopped women from giving birth on the island because of his Mother issues, would you be satisfied?

If Ben explained that releasing some of "The Light" caused the island to skip around in time, would you be satisfied?

If during "The Lighthouse" Jacob had said "Those numbers are special to me because they represent you Candidates," would you have been satisfied?

He wants the show to be dumbed down for the masses like all the other shows, Lost wasn't like that and was what made it so good and special.

Actually, a little of that hand waving would have made a difference to me. And, no, I'm not sure how questioning it a little makes things "dumbed down". I do need a little bit of explanation of how things work in the universe I'm watching. I realize that not everything takes place in our world or our universe. James Bond defies physics and luck because, well, because he's James Bond. Something isn't working in Star Trek, the science officer takes a minute to treknobabble his way through it.

My favorite stupid example is from "The Day After Tomorrow", by all accounts a pretty bad movie. I was ok with three super hurricanes- in fact, I thought it was neat. I was even mostly ok with how it pulls down air from the atmosphere to make everything super cold. Why? Because they spent a minute or two with a scientist on screen waving his hand and saying "yup, this is how it works". Now is that how it works in the real world? No. But in their universe, yeah. The part that lost me is that by their rules and their science is when there is cold so fierce that it starts basically chasing the main characters down a hallway but doesn't get them because they have a little fire burning and, really, it appears because they're the main characters.

Again, I don't need a super scientific explanation for everything. And i don't need it to work like "the real world". I just need it to work in the universe as said universe is constructed. So, I need the writers to acknowledge that they set up some little mysteries and remind us that they didn't forget about them.

Of the three examples listed above, in my mind, it's a mixed bag but it's on the right track. The numbers one is great and fits with the show to a point (tho it leaves open the plot hole of how did he know which candidates of all the names on the wall would be his final candidates as those numbers are at least 30 years old, going back to the hatch). The light one would need to be refined but just a little more detail to "island as crazy electromagnetic source", particularly back in the season 5 New Otherton days by Dharma might have done the trick. I don't need to know how the time travel works but I think it merits it little more than "it just does", which is what we got with the man in black installing the wheel in the Jacob/Man in Black episode. The giving birth issues- well, that needs an actual "why" answer and it has to be better than "I have mommy issues" as it doesn't fit with the character.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 02:20 PM   #661
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby View Post
I thought the flash sideways ending was incredibly elegant. That whole part of the show was just brilliantly done this season.

Agreed. Like I said- that part was excellent and "elegant" is a great word for it. Still feel a little bummed about the rest of the resolution but not terribly so.

SI

Old 05-24-2010, 02:28 PM   #662
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby View Post
I thought the flash sideways ending was incredibly elegant. That whole part of the show was just brilliantly done this season.

Completely agree on all accounts. I thought they tied that up pretty good.
Old 05-24-2010, 02:34 PM   #663
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
The first and last time I watch Jimmy Kimmel.

Guess that means you missed this from earlier in the week.

(One of the few things he does that's worth watching...)
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 02:44 PM   #664
timmynausea
College Starter

I guess I'm in the minority that I think Kimmel is funny, sometimes really funny, though I'd certainly concede that some of the skits/etc. on his show are pretty horrible, as they are on all late night shows.
Old 05-24-2010, 02:47 PM   #665
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmynausea View Post
I guess I'm in the minority that I think Kimmel is funny, sometimes really funny, though I'd certainly concede that some of the skits/etc. on his show are pretty horrible, as they are on all late night shows.

Nah, he's not as bad as all that. But I hate to say that calling those sketches "extra endings" or "deleted scenes" last night was kindof bastardly to those expecting more.

SI

Old 05-24-2010, 03:03 PM   #666
tyketime
College Benchwarmer

Here is an interesting Video Q&A from E Online which provides some "answers" (it's the 2nd video): Link

Last edited by tyketime : 05-24-2010 at 03:06 PM.
tyketime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 03:26 PM   #667
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

I rode my lollerskates the whole way through that kimmel video.

Last edited by Sun Tzu : 05-24-2010 at 03:27 PM.
Sun Tzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 03:51 PM   #668
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai View Post
Guess that means you missed this from earlier in the week.

(One of the few things he does that's worth watching...)

That was excellent. The drunken Jack at the hospital and the Locke/Michael one made me laugh outloud.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 04:05 PM   #669
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyketime View Post
Here is an interesting Video Q&A from E Online which provides some "answers" (it's the 2nd video): Link

Cool. MiB does have a name:

Spoiler
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 04:17 PM   #670
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

show's over, dude. I think we can dispense with the spoiler tag
Old 05-24-2010, 05:25 PM   #671
rowech
Pro Starter

My wife watched this show...I gave up midway through season 2. I am 100% convinced the original intent of the show was that the island was to be Purgatory. The problem? Too many people figured it out way too soon. So what to do? We'll come back to that idea but we'll do it in such a roundabout way that people will be amazed at it. They strung everyone along for 4 more seasons and now all I hear/see are a bunch of people rationalizing the "brilliance" of this show, talking about how the show was always about the characeters, and other "stuff" so that they don't feel they wasted all the time the did watching the show.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 05:50 PM   #672
Joe
Pro Starter

The finale was a perfect ending and resolution to season 6 and the sideways timeline that was introduced, but not the series. To understand the show, one must only watch seasons 1 and 6, that's my only problem with it. Oh, and also the Sayid/Shannon thing.
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 05:53 PM   #673
Joe
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
My wife watched this show...I gave up midway through season 2. I am 100% convinced the original intent of the show was that the island was to be Purgatory. The problem? Too many people figured it out way too soon. So what to do? We'll come back to that idea but we'll do it in such a roundabout way that people will be amazed at it. They strung everyone along for 4 more seasons and now all I hear/see are a bunch of people rationalizing the "brilliance" of this show, talking about how the show was always about the characeters, and other "stuff" so that they don't feel they wasted all the time the did watching the show.

Totally agree. Darlton painted themselves into a corner when stating it wasnt purgatory.
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 08:36 PM   #674
Daimyo
College Starter

I'm usually very forgiving when it comes to series finales (I really liked BSG's and was okay with Sorpanos), but this was horrible. My problem isn't that they didn't give enough answers... I'm completely comfortable with what they provided as far as the island mysteries, my problem is that they made everything that happened on the island completely meaningless!

Nothing that happened on the island mattered at all because in the end everyone ended up in the same place and would have no matter what happened on the island.... All the stuff they did on the island was for nothing... all the drama meaningless. Why even bother to stop Locke?

I liked this show because it felt epic... the island was this big mysterious thing with all this weird shit that the characters were surviving and reacting to and struggling to understand, but in the end none of that mattered as it turns out it was just a way for this group of people to meet each other and have good experiences together?
Daimyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 08:40 PM   #675
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daimyo View Post
I'm usually very forgiving when it comes to series finales (I really liked BSG's and was okay with Sorpanos), but this was horrible. My problem isn't that they didn't give enough answers... I'm completely comfortable with what they provided as far as the island mysteries, my problem is that they made everything that happened on the island completely meaningless!

Nothing that happened on the island mattered at all because in the end everyone ended up in the same place and would have no matter what happened on the island.... All the stuff they did on the island was for nothing... all the drama meaningless. Why even bother to stop Locke?

I liked this show because it felt epic... the island was this big mysterious thing with all this weird shit that the characters were surviving and reacting to and struggling to understand, but in the end none of that mattered as it turns out it was just a way for this group of people to meet each other and have good experiences together?

What??? Of course everyone dies eventually, your argument makes no sense.
Old 05-24-2010, 08:44 PM   #676
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:

Interesting. That's not at all what I got out of the finale.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 08:53 PM   #677
Daimyo
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubby View Post
What??? Of course everyone dies eventually, your argument makes no sense.

Which makes the "everybody eventually dies and meets up in heaven" ending even more absurd since I guess every show could use the exact same ending and justify it equally well? Afterall, in the end the island was just a place for ~15 people to meet up, fall in love, and have great experiences with each other? Why even set the show on a mysterious island then?

I guess I assumed it was a bit more important than that and thus deserving of something more significant.
Old 05-24-2010, 08:54 PM   #678
Daimyo
College Starter

FWIW, I was completely fine with everything that happened right up until Christian showed up. I would have been much happier if my cable had cut out right at that moment left to my own imagination.
Old 05-24-2010, 08:57 PM   #679
Daimyo
College Starter

DOLA, thinking about this more I would been thrilled with the final season if there simply were no flash-sideways at all. I really enjoyed everything that happened on the island.
Old 05-24-2010, 09:03 PM   #680
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

I dont get your argument at all, how does the fact that everyone dies eventually invalidate the 1st 5 seasons?

So since everyone dies eventually in real life, our lives have no meaning?
Old 05-24-2010, 09:33 PM   #681
TargetPractice6
College Benchwarmer

I kind of assumed without the light on the island there would be no happy meet-up in the afterlife. Maybe I'm reaching too far, but when the light was first introduced the mother character said it was "Life, death and rebirth". I just kind of took it that without the light there would be no other life to happily move onto as the Losties did at the end.

Last edited by TargetPractice6 : 05-24-2010 at 09:33 PM.
TargetPractice6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 10:24 PM   #682
DanGarion
Coordinator

Anyone post this from one of the Bad Robot writers?

Someone from Bad Robot's take on the Finale | LOST Media Mentions

Really puts stuff in perspective and clears up some gaps to me.
Old 05-24-2010, 10:52 PM   #683
Subby
lolzcat

Quote:

That was excellent - thanks for sharing it.
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 11:51 PM   #684
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
You just have to learn to let go.
We have to go back.... we weren't meant to stop watching.
Quote:
DOLA, thinking about this more I would been thrilled with the final season if there simply were no flash-sideways at all. I really enjoyed everything that happened on the island.
Really? The last couple episodes tied in nicely, but the first half of the season was a complete mess. Why spend multiple episodes on the other other Others in the Temple, then once you kill them all at once and focus on the same characters from seasons 1-5 you're forced to rush the endings for several of them (Widmore, Sun/Jin, Desmond)?

I'm ok with not explaining certain things, and with the writers throwing some stuff out there early that was either affected by real-world problems (Eko leaving, Walt growing, Ana-Lucia/Libby getting DUI's, Ben turning out to have great chemistry) or never really resolved, but why start bringing in new red herrings in Season 6 when you should be coming down the homestretch?

Perhaps this was the best explanation we were going to get, but I felt there was more space for interactions between the interesting characters (Real/Fake Locke*, Ben*, Widmore, Jack, Sawyer) than in making sure every happy couple found each other - even characters from Seasons past like Shannon and Boone or Rose and Bernard. Why not bring back Nikki and Paolo too at that point?

* (I thought I saw somewhere they were developing a pilot where Michael Emerson and Terry O'Quinn are partners, and that could be awesome.)

Last edited by BishopMVP : 05-24-2010 at 11:58 PM.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 11:54 PM   #685
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
We have to go back.... we weren't meant to stop watching.

Nicely done

SI

Old 05-25-2010, 01:08 AM   #686
thesloppy
Pro Starter

I should definitely let it go, 'cuz the more I think about it, the less I like it. Even the purgatory angle is clunky and shallow as hell. It seemed less like some sort of universal purgatory where all of our friends and family 'pass on' together, and more like Jack Shephard's Super Special After Life. Surely Aaron and Sun and Jin's daughter had entire lives lived away from all of these folk, and would choose a better after-life for themselves than being a baby/fetus and hanging out with your dead parents' friends you never met. And certainly Sayid would've preferred Nadia, but hey Jack never met her....Shannon will have to do for you, Sayid ol' buddy. Locke, sorry your wife can't come, would you be content to make out with Boone, here? Charlie, we know you love your brother, and he was even at the concert ten minutes ago, but he can't come either. I can guarantee that if given the choice Rose and Bernard would've just chosen straight up, sweaty bonin' for eternity, on their lonesome, and left the rest of those chumps to entertain at Jack's heavenly party. Basically, Jack looked like he got everybody he loved or cared for in his afterlife, the way he wanted 'em, and then everybody else got to kind of do their best with whatever fit into Jack's world. Even removing the limits of time and space, people in purgatory seemed to instead be defined entirely by how Jack remembered them.

You can kind of rectify that by choosing to believe that everybody were figments of Jacks imagination and/or slivers of his/their consciousness, but I think that goes against what was explicitly presented. Alternatively, your left with some version of "He who is most faithful gets to pick the teams"....an implication that 'leaders' and 'followers' or some sort of ranking exists in the afterlife, and it's good to be on top.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 02:07 AM   #687
Dodgerchick
College Benchwarmer

Okay finally saw it. I guess, I'm okay with it but would have liked to have seen Michael and Walt in this purgatory. They were such an important part of the show not seeing them leaves a big gap for me.
Dodgerchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 02:14 AM   #688
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Surprised this show retained such a high approval rating from so many people throughout it's run.

I really loved the first two seasons, but thought it really fell apart over the remainder of the series.

It wasn't a bad show, but I don't think it was a great one either. In the end, I couldn't recommend the whole series to someone, because I think the last few seasons were generally poor. The writing just got lazier and lazier, IMHO.

Ultimately I don't feel like I got the series the first season promised to be.

Last edited by cthomer5000 : 05-25-2010 at 02:14 AM.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 02:32 AM   #689
Antmeister
Pro Starter

After watching that, I still gotta let this sink in. I can't decide if the island or the alt-reality was their purgatory.

If it's the alt-reality, then they found an easy out of explaining the polar bears, immortality (due to a chosen person who protects something similar to the Fountain of Youth), Dharma, and the smoke monster.

If the island itself is purgatory, then I am trying to wrap around my head the role of Desmond, Ben, Whitmore, Richard and the Others (who apparently got there by different means).

I saw someone reference a roleplaying game and that is spot on, but I would disagree with how well the GMs orchestrated the final result. The whole alt-timeline was cool, but it's like the GM just seemed to enjoy f'in with the characters more than actually prodding the characters through a quest from the 3rd to 5th session and figured they could come up with a final ending later. But since the adventure was going to end on the 6th session, they had no idea how they were going to tie it all together and bought a cool unrelated D&D module from the comic book store and tied the characters to it.
Old 05-25-2010, 03:15 AM   #690
Pyser
Pro Rookie

i wish people could explain the thinking that the island was purgatory. i just dont see it at all. we were specifically told "everything that happened was real".

and dodgerchick, walt and michael were definitely explained away. well, michael more than walt.
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 04:26 AM   #691
BreizhManu
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthomer5000 View Post
Surprised this show retained such a high approval rating from so many people throughout it's run.

I really loved the first two seasons, but thought it really fell apart over the remainder of the series.

It wasn't a bad show, but I don't think it was a great one either. In the end, I couldn't recommend the whole series to someone, because I think the last few seasons were generally poor. The writing just got lazier and lazier, IMHO.

Ultimately I don't feel like I got the series the first season promised to be.

I didn't like season 4 (we have to go back) and 6, but have to agree with you.
It was a decent show for as long it lasted but I won't miss it much tbh.
BreizhManu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 05:11 AM   #692
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
I should definitely let it go, 'cuz the more I think about it, the less I like it. Even the purgatory angle is clunky and shallow as hell. It seemed less like some sort of universal purgatory where all of our friends and family 'pass on' together, and more like Jack Shephard's Super Special After Life. Surely Aaron and Sun and Jin's daughter had entire lives lived away from all of these folk, and would choose a better after-life for themselves than being a baby/fetus and hanging out with your dead parents' friends you never met. And certainly Sayid would've preferred Nadia, but hey Jack never met her....Shannon will have to do for you, Sayid ol' buddy. Locke, sorry your wife can't come, would you be content to make out with Boone, here? Charlie, we know you love your brother, and he was even at the concert ten minutes ago, but he can't come either. I can guarantee that if given the choice Rose and Bernard would've just chosen straight up, sweaty bonin' for eternity, on their lonesome, and left the rest of those chumps to entertain at Jack's heavenly party. Basically, Jack looked like he got everybody he loved or cared for in his afterlife, the way he wanted 'em, and then everybody else got to kind of do their best with whatever fit into Jack's world. Even removing the limits of time and space, people in purgatory seemed to instead be defined entirely by how Jack remembered them.

You can kind of rectify that by choosing to believe that everybody were figments of Jacks imagination and/or slivers of his/their consciousness, but I think that goes against what was explicitly presented. Alternatively, your left with some version of "He who is most faithful gets to pick the teams"....an implication that 'leaders' and 'followers' or some sort of ranking exists in the afterlife, and it's good to be on top.

Again, an interesting view that I totally disagree with and don't understand. It's kind of a narrow view, really.

Who is to say that if such a special purgatory exists for everyone, beyond people who were on the island or greatly affected by it (Penny), that it is different for other people? Perhaps Aaron and Jin and Sun's baby have their own special little purgatory place in which they embody the form they had whenever their most meaningful experiences occurred?

While the finale was certainly Jack centric, and it worked well because of it on many levels, I never saw the whole Sideways/purgatory place as 'Jack Shephard's Super Special After Life". Nope. Not at all. He was the last to come to that realization because Jack was always the last person to accept faith over reality/science. That was his entire character arc in the "real" world and it was, again, echoed in the purgatory world.

The Shannon/Sayid thing bugged me, but the rest of that place seemed entirely consistant with all of the other characters and totally independent of Jack.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 05-25-2010, 05:14 AM   #693
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

On the whole I found the finale to be beautiful, but incomplete and flawed.

There were just a ton of great moments and that was what Lost was best at: providing wonderful, memorable moments. While the whole may not be perfect, there were so many great moments that were.
Old 05-25-2010, 07:15 AM   #694
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

I think many of you take your evening television entertainment far more serious than I do. It feels to me that many here were hoping for, or expecting the world and then were let down when they didn't receive it.

I really enjoyed the finale, I really enjoyed the show across all of the seasons. It was one of my favorite shows on tv and probably alot of that is due to me not watching it from the beginning. I picked it up last year, and watched all of the previous four seasons in one go. Only watched seasons 5 and 6 in real time, so the series never dragged for me at all.

I'll miss this show being on and now need to find something else to fill its void

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 07:36 AM   #695
hoopsguy
General Manager

Quote:
FWIW, I was completely fine with everything that happened right up until Christian showed up. I would have been much happier if my cable had cut out right at that moment left to my own imagination.

Big +1.

Quote:

My takeaway from this is that the producers tried really hard to come up with a way to do flash forwards and flash sideways for a couple of seasons. And the first episode of the flash forwards was brilliant. But at some point it felt like the producers were robbing the main story to find ways to work in these storytelling angles.
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 07:52 AM   #696
tyketime
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

Thanks Dan! This really is a great explanation from an "insider" regarding the island and the Sideways World.
tyketime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 09:20 AM   #697
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyketime View Post
Thanks Dan! This really is a great explanation from an "insider" regarding the island and the Sideways World.

FTR, that dude appears to be an insider who can't spell the characters names correctly and doesn't know which season each character debuted.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 09:35 AM   #698
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
FTR, that dude appears to be an insider who can't spell the characters names correctly and doesn't know which season each character debuted.

yep. interesting that they knew that Desmond and Penny would be in the final episode way back when they were writing the pilot.
Old 05-25-2010, 09:36 AM   #699
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

(that was sarcasm, btw)
Old 05-25-2010, 09:42 AM   #700
chesapeake
College Starter

My wife and I watched last night. I loved the finale. I certainly understand the disappointment about not geting straight answers on all the mysteries, but I always felt it was more important to resolve the characters, and I think this finale did that job extremely well. With the Sayid exception, of course. Everyone knows that Nadia was his one true love; unfortunately it didn't fit with the chosen plot device.

In my own mind, I guess I am comfortable enough with the answers provided for the "science" behind the show. Jacob explained the underlying premise -- the island serves as a 'cork' between our mundane world and the afterlife. The "science" derives from how that might be manifested. Apparently, it involves a staggering amount of energy. The writers then used what they knew of physics to make up how that energy might affect the world -- electro-magnetism and warping time; throwing in a large dose of metaphysics -- the ability of that energy to heal, for example.

And I think herein lies the primary disconnect. I felt it too. I wanted the entire show to be about physics, not metaphysics. I was deeply disappointed when it became clear this season that the show was headed in that direction. But I was able to take this episode for what it was rather than what I wanted it to be and really ended up enjoying it.

Kate in that black dress has got to be worth a few extra points, too, even for folks that otherwise didn't like the ending. Right?
chesapeake is offline   Reply With Quote