Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-20-2010, 04:28 PM   #651
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubb93 View Post
I think that all games should ship with something telling you the controls of the game. A simple two sided card would do. I will be disappointed if this is not included with games in the future. I can't tell you how often I reference that after picking up a game from my collection that I haven't played in a while.

This.
Old 04-20-2010, 04:52 PM   #652
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

I guess I was the only one who loved reading through the manuals as soon as I got the game back when it was more than an epilepsy warning, showing you a picture of the controller, and how to contact tech support.
illinifan999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 04:58 PM   #653
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramzavail View Post
anybody buy Infinite Space for the DS? I impulsed bought, haven't opened it yet and I'm a little wishy washy on the review. I might return it, I might crack it open.

As far as I can tell I'm about 70% of the way through it (about 35 hours so far, it's not a short game). You should crack it open, it's quite good imo.

The battle mechanics aren't very complicated but you do need to be able to adapt your strategy to the situation in certain battles. There are a lot of different ways to customize your fleet and your crew. The game has a better story than most JRPGs I've played. The main storyline is linear but there are branching paths and a decent number of sidequests. Despite the linearity it's still fun to explore space, each nation you come across feels different and you meet some interesting characters.

If you do open it up I recommend saving frequently early on, especially when traveling to a new sector where the battles might be more difficult than you are used to. If you lose your flagship in a spaceship battle or lose a melee fight it's game over and back to the title screen.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 04:59 PM   #654
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by illinifan999 View Post
and how to contact tech support.

Microprose: 76004.2223 at CompuServe.Com
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...

Last edited by Mustang : 04-20-2010 at 05:00 PM.
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 09:04 PM   #655
law90026
College Benchwarmer

I'm actually playing Infinite Space right now, only at Chapter 4.

It's quite good but the learning curve at the start is pretty steep.

Be prepared to grind a lot as well because getting bigger ships and outfitting them costs a lot and you don't earn very much from the random encounters along the way, although I understand a better way of earning money is just to have cargo ships and moving from point to point (which is still grinding of a sort).
law90026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 12:41 AM   #656
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Anyone else try Splinter Cell? The honeymoon period is over. I still like it but not anywhere near as much as I did at first.

- Like playing a character that can be pretty bad-ass.
- Love how the story is played out with flashbacks and the "reflective scenes" that play out on the wall in certain areas where you are transitioning.
- Love the use of black and white versus color to let you know when you are hidden
- Not fond of the story (shame too because I read the books Conviction and End Game and thought that would have been a GREAT game to play out, for those who may like that kind of book I recommend the two as it is interesting reading but you have to read Conviction first as it follows Sam and End Game follows the people who are chasing Sam)
- Not fond of the enemy AI, at times they play smart tactics (try to flank you) and other times they are downright stupid (trying to look for a deadly stealth weapon like Sam Fisher and yelling at him to announce yourself may not be the best approach, and it is constant)
- Like the interogation (it's very Jack Bauer-like)
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 09:03 PM   #657
MrDNA
High School Varsity

I'm on the Just Cause 2 bandwagon. This world is overwhelmingly huge and you can do anything. (Except go inside a building...)
MrDNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 09:07 PM   #658
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDNA View Post
I'm on the Just Cause 2 bandwagon. This world is overwhelmingly huge and you can do anything. (Except go inside a building...)

There are a couple buildings you can go in....a little ways in to anyways. You get to go into part of one floor of a giant hotel on a mission. And if you count hangers as a full fledged building you can go in those. Also, there is Mile High City.

Eh, who needs buildings when you fly, boat, drive, swin, skydive, go on a strip club/Vegas style blimp, and grappling hook like mad?
Old 04-21-2010, 11:18 PM   #659
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

Both a sad and a happy night. My launch 360 finally got the red ring of death. Luckily I have an awesome girlfriend and about an hour after the red ring she came in the door with a brand new 360.
dubb93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 11:49 PM   #660
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Both a sad and a happy night. My launch 360 finally got the red ring of death. Luckily I have an awesome girlfriend and about an hour after the red ring she came in the door with a brand new 360.

why am I reading that and thinking "if you liked it, you shoulda put a red ring on it"?
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 06:24 AM   #661
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Another great Kevin Butler ad. This one is for ModNation Racers.......

Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 06:40 AM   #662
tyketime
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
Anyone else try Splinter Cell?
I picked this up over the weekend. This is my first Splinter Cell game, so I can't compare to previous versions. I guess I must suck at it cause I'm having a hell of a time getting to the killer in the first sequence (not sure if this is spoilerish or not, so I won't provide too many details). I don't mind the dying and retrying method. But what sucks is if you stop your play session and come back to the game another time, you start back much earlier in the sequence.

The whole "project stuff on the wall" (whether it be flashback sequences, directions, clues, etc.) is pretty damn nifty to me. It looks very cool.

Quote:
Like the interogation (it's very Jack Bauer-like)
Yeah, I had the same thought myself here. That first bathroom interrogation is pretty brutal. I can only imagine the pain threshold increases in subsequent ones. "I need the information, and I NEED IT NOW!"
tyketime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 08:49 AM   #663
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

tyketime, not really sure if it qualifies as a spoiler below but tagging it anyway. It's strategy and not story.

Spoiler
Old 04-22-2010, 09:29 AM   #664
DataKing
Pro Rookie

Quote:

Marry that woman.
Diablo III (BattleTag: DataKing#1685)
Allegiances:
Chicago Bears - Detroit Red Wings - Kansas Jayhawks
Awards:
2011 Golden Scribe - Other Sports Category (The Straight(away) and Narrow - A Forza Motorsport 3 Dynasty)
DataKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 01:49 PM   #665
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

If anyone is in the market for a broken Xbox 360 that I believe you could get fixed by microsoft for $110 dollars(or you could do it yourself for much cheaper) send me a PM. The price is free, but I would want you to cover shipping costs. The system is a launch system with no hard drive.

Please don't send me a PM if you are just interested in turning it around and selling it to someone else for more than I am asking. I'm trying to help someone out if they want one and are not able to pay full price.
Old 04-22-2010, 03:31 PM   #666
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Another great Kevin Butler ad. This one is for ModNation Racers.......

So have you just quit even pretending not to be an advertising shill for Sony, mbbf?
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 03:33 PM   #667
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang View Post
Picked up Just Cause 2. I have mixed impressions at this point which are mainly lowered because of the control. It might be due to the new TV, but this is the first time I had to decrease the sensitivity of the controller for a game in a long long time, everything just seemed to spin too fast.

What system are you playing on? I tried it out for PC and PS3 and had the same problems you did with controls on PC using an XBox 360 controller. Playing around with the sensitivity and settings helped a little, but I couldn't find a way to make the controls feel right. Because of this I wound up buying it for PS3 and haven't had any problems with controls. Haven't seen any kind of fix or settings that work online, hopefully someone here who's played it has some ideas to help.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 03:49 PM   #668
gstelmack
Pro Starter

I bought it for the 360 because of the weird control issues on the PC with vehicles. Mouse and keyboard worked fine for running around, but not so good with driving / flying vehicles. On the 360 everything is running great. I did not try a 360 controller on the PC.
Old 04-22-2010, 03:54 PM   #669
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
I bought it for the 360 because of the weird control issues on the PC with vehicles. Mouse and keyboard worked fine for running around, but not so good with driving / flying vehicles. On the 360 everything is running great. I did not try a 360 controller on the PC.

That is a problem on PC with any game like GTA IV or Just Cause 2. Even driving seemed weird for me with the 360 controller, something seemed off with the sensitivity no matter where I set it. Not sure if it had to do with how it was running on my computer, but I think my system should be able to handle it just fine. Would have been happy playing with mouse/keyboard on foot and then using a controller to drive like I did with GTA IV but it seemed better to just spend a bit more and play it on PS3.

Last edited by mckerney : 04-22-2010 at 03:54 PM.
Old 04-22-2010, 03:55 PM   #670
mckerney
Coordinator

Anyone in StarCraft II beta? I just got a key this morning and am almost done downloading.
Old 04-22-2010, 04:13 PM   #671
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
So have you just quit even pretending not to be an advertising shill for Sony, mbbf?

I saw a site the other day that made the point that the success of the Kevin Butler ads may almost be reaching the point where people are more interested in Kevin's antics than what game he's actually talking about. I think it's a very positive campaign for the PS3 overall, but I can see their point.
Old 04-22-2010, 04:33 PM   #672
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckerney View Post
Anyone in StarCraft II beta? I just got a key this morning and am almost done downloading.

I just pre-ordered today, awaiting my beta e-mail.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 04:45 PM   #673
spleen1015
Coordinator

I preordered SC2 yesterday morning and got my beta key last night. I played about 6 games today. I played them all as Terran. Some new units that are cool. It feels a lot like SC.

They patched it today and there's an issue with the patch install currently.
Old 04-23-2010, 04:59 PM   #674
samifan24
Pro Starter

Does anyone want to buy a barely used PS3 copy of Call of Juarez off me? I can't take it anymore. This is the most frustratingly difficult game I've ever played. The duels are ridiculously difficult and there's no way to skip them.
Old 04-23-2010, 10:13 PM   #675
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by samifan24 View Post
Does anyone want to buy a barely used PS3 copy of Call of Juarez off me? I can't take it anymore. This is the most frustratingly difficult game I've ever played. The duels are ridiculously difficult and there's no way to skip them.

Good advertising.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 10:41 PM   #676
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Son is playing L4D2 new DLC "The Passing"

No verdict yet, figured I'd at least mention it's released though.
Old 04-24-2010, 01:06 AM   #677
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
Good advertising.

It was a very well reviewed game, it's just too damn hard.
Old 04-24-2010, 09:26 AM   #678
MJ4H
Coordinator

Metroid delayed until August 31st
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 05:19 PM   #679
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

Who is gonna pick up Tecmo Bowl over Xbox Live ??? it comes out on the 29th which is like 5 days away, I'm thinkin this one will be awesome for us FOFCers to play online, let me know if anyone is gonna grab it. I think its 800 points.
Old 04-25-2010, 10:42 AM   #680
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by k0ruptr View Post
Who is gonna pick up Tecmo Bowl over Xbox Live ??? it comes out on the 29th which is like 5 days away, I'm thinkin this one will be awesome for us FOFCers to play online, let me know if anyone is gonna grab it. I think its 800 points.

Really disappointed that this game doesn't have online league play. I can't think it would have taken much to add functionality that existed 18 years ago in a game. I'll still get it, but was really hoping for online seasons.
Old 04-25-2010, 06:18 PM   #681
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

wow, I just found out the maker of College Lacrosse 2010 on xbox live (its an indie game) are making an updated version, and they some how got a reebok sponsorship and now its National Lacrosse League 2010 featuring all the teams from the NLL. thats pretty damn awesome, I think its available starting today.

or ping : NLL fans!
Old 04-25-2010, 06:28 PM   #682
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by k0ruptr View Post
wow, I just found out the maker of College Lacrosse 2010 on xbox live (its an indie game) are making an updated version, and they some how got a reebok sponsorship and now its National Lacrosse League 2010 featuring all the teams from the NLL. thats pretty damn awesome, I think its available starting today.

or ping : NLL fans!

It's out. Have been playing it. It's pretty much what I would have expected from a $5 Indie game but it's NLL lacrosse so it gets my attention. Would like to see this get picked up by a major developer to flesh it out a bit.
Old 04-26-2010, 06:41 AM   #683
tyketime
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
tyketime, not really sure if it qualifies as a spoiler below but tagging it anyway. It's strategy and not story.

Spoiler

Great suggestion! I was able to devote some time to Splinter Cell Conviction over the weekend, and completed several missions. I like how there are some quasi-puzzles in addition to the action (ie- figuring out how to make your way to your destination). But I guess one thing I haven't figured out is the "Mark & Execute" action. I remember doing it in the 1st training mission. I thought once you completed a successful hand-to-hand battle that I could then set the Execute up. But I'm obviously missing something. I'll dig through the manual tonight, but would appreciate any tips anyone can provide on that.
tyketime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 10:51 AM   #684
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
It was a very well reviewed game, it's just too damn hard.

I had the same reaction to Demon Souls. I've never wanted to put a disk in the shredder as much as that one.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 04:49 PM   #685
samifan24
Pro Starter

Can anyone recommend a hard drive that I can put into my 360?
Old 04-26-2010, 04:53 PM   #686
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

Anybody else as excited as I am about Red Dead Redemption??? 5/18 can't come any sooner!!!

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
FOOL - Cleveland Cyclones
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
CleBrownsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 05:00 PM   #687
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleBrownsfan View Post
Anybody else as excited as I am about Red Dead Redemption??? 5/18 can't come any sooner!!!

I would fit that bill. Have it pre-ordered. I hope I'm able to get to it on 5/18, but something tells me that I won't have FF finished by then.
Old 04-26-2010, 05:06 PM   #688
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:

I'm very excited about it. I'm currently finishing Call of Juarez right now. I figured out the dueling mini game so it's not as hard as I first thought.
Old 04-26-2010, 06:50 PM   #689
Balldog
Pro Rookie

Quote:

Absolutely, can't wait for this one! I've been trying to finish a couple of other games so I can justify buying it, but it really don't matter I'll get it anyway.
Balldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 07:35 PM   #690
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Can anyone recommend a hard drive that I can put into my 360?

Amazon.com: Xbox 360 20GB Hard Drive: Video Games

Amazon.com: Microsoft Xbox 360 60GB Hard Drive: Video Games

Amazon.com: Xbox 360 120GB Hard Drive: Video Games

Amazon.com: Xbox 360 60GB LIVE Starter Pack: Video Games

Amazon.com: Xbox 360 250GB Hard Drive: Video Games
Old 04-26-2010, 07:42 PM   #691
samifan24
Pro Starter

I've never owned a 360 before. Are you supposed to only buy the MS hard drives? I upgraded my PS3 with a laptop HD from Newegg and it was a breeze. From what I've read online the 360 HD is right on top and therefore the MS HDs, while more expensive, are much easier to install, yes?

Last edited by samifan24 : 04-26-2010 at 07:53 PM.
samifan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 08:57 PM   #692
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
From what I've read online the 360 HD is right on top and therefore the MS HDs, while more expensive, are much easier to install, yes?

Literally snap-on. Took me longer to figure out where the little tab to push to take one off was than to put a new one on.

I'm one of the most hardware-phobic people around these parts, so believe me when I say this couldn't be easier. I've had a tougher time removing a child-proof cap than putting a hard drive on a 360.
Old 04-26-2010, 09:12 PM   #693
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
I've never owned a 360 before. Are you supposed to only buy the MS hard drives?

Yes, Microsoft does not support any others. The hard drive includes the case, connectors, etc.
Old 04-26-2010, 09:13 PM   #694
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Literally snap-on. Took me longer to figure out where the little tab to push to take one off was than to put a new one on.

I'm one of the most hardware-phobic people around these parts, so believe me when I say this couldn't be easier. I've had a tougher time removing a child-proof cap than putting a hard drive on a 360.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
Yes, Microsoft does not support any others. The hard drive includes the case, connectors, etc.

I didn't realize installing/upgrading a Xbox 360 HD was different from doing so on a PS3. Good to know it's very easy. Thanks.
Old 04-26-2010, 09:20 PM   #695
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Anyone else in here on the fence regarding FIFA World Cup 2010? I liked FIFA 10 but not as much as many people did (too ping-pongy vs. the AI, the bias towards stronger players over quicker, smaller players when dribbling), but from what I've read there are various gameplay improvements in the World Cup game (my PS3 and router don't get along so I haven't been able to get on PSN to check the demo out for myself). Have any of ya'll played the demo and if so, what did you think?

It is a $60 game which feels like a bit much since it comes out six months before FIFA 11 and six months after FIFA 10. I might get it, possibly selling/trading in FIFA 10, or I might just skip it. But I'm already starting to feel that World Cup fever six weeks away from the first game, I have a feeling I'll break down and get it at some point despite my issues with the series and the nature of this release.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 09:34 PM   #696
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Fo View Post
Anyone else in here on the fence regarding FIFA World Cup 2010? I liked FIFA 10 but not as much as many people did (too ping-pongy vs. the AI, the bias towards stronger players over quicker, smaller players when dribbling), but from what I've read there are various gameplay improvements in the World Cup game (my PS3 and router don't get along so I haven't been able to get on PSN to check the demo out for myself). Have any of ya'll played the demo and if so, what did you think?

It is a $60 game which feels like a bit much since it comes out six months before FIFA 11 and six months after FIFA 10. I might get it, possibly selling/trading in FIFA 10, or I might just skip it. But I'm already starting to feel that World Cup fever six weeks away from the first game, I have a feeling I'll break down and get it at some point despite my issues with the series and the nature of this release.

I'm planning to get it tomorrow, but the price tag is a real turn off. I wouldn't get it if I already had FIFA 10, and I really feel it should be $50US. The worst part is that not only is it a full price game, they are screwing us Canadians by charging $70 even though our dollar is par. With taxes I'm looking at paying $80 for what is essentially an add-on to an existing game... not cool.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 09:52 PM   #697
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
I skipped FIFA 10 to wait for World Cup 2010. Got the shipping confirmation from Amazon, so it should show up tomorrow.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 09:56 PM   #698
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
As for the MS hard drives, I'm glad to see they have come way down in price. The official 250GB for $130 isn't that much more than the hacked version I put together consisting of a 250GB Western Digital drive, empty Xbox hard drive case off of eBay, and buying the transfer kit from Microsoft.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 10:27 PM   #699
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyketime View Post
Great suggestion! I was able to devote some time to Splinter Cell Conviction over the weekend, and completed several missions. I like how there are some quasi-puzzles in addition to the action (ie- figuring out how to make your way to your destination). But I guess one thing I haven't figured out is the "Mark & Execute" action. I remember doing it in the 1st training mission. I thought once you completed a successful hand-to-hand battle that I could then set the Execute up. But I'm obviously missing something. I'll dig through the manual tonight, but would appreciate any tips anyone can provide on that.

You need to make sure you are targetting the hostile when you right bumper to mark (have had a few that were tricky as the crosshairs weren't on the target when I right bumpered). The symbol above him will be either red or grey. You can only perform execute when they are red, grey means out of range or being blocked. You also need to be in cover when you mark them.

Interogation Spoiler Alert
Spoiler
Old 04-28-2010, 11:13 AM   #700
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Tecmo Bowl Throwback is out now on XBLA. It's 800 MS points and totally worth it.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote