Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-20-2009, 09:53 AM   #651
wade moore
lolzcat

Bean is definitely not pretty enough for Jaime. I like him as Ned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 09:55 AM   #652
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Yeah...I typed out that post and then said "hmm...Bean's prolly not pretty enough for Jaime" and went back and edited that bit in.

He'll be great as Ned, no doubt about it. Just going to suck when he meets his fate (again).

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 07-20-2009 at 09:55 AM.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 10:18 AM   #653
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

I expected Ned to be taller than thinner than Bean, but he's a good choice regardless, especially as the series will want a good actor to get the endeavor off the ground (Ned gets a lot of time in the forefront before the inevitable happens).
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 10:21 AM   #654
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Jaime is going to be the most difficult one to cast. I think it has to be an Orlando Bloom type of person (well an Orlando Bloom who can act - and be convincing as sometimes evil/sometimes good character).
Old 07-20-2009, 10:22 AM   #655
JeeberD
General Manager

Fred Flintstone (the back-up version, even) is playing Robert? Yeesh...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 10:30 AM   #656
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho View Post
I expected Ned to be taller than thinner than Bean, but he's a good choice regardless, especially as the series will want a good actor to get the endeavor off the ground (Ned gets a lot of time in the forefront before the inevitable happens).

I did too. I actually always thought Liam Neeson would be perfect, but Sean Bean works well.

With Tom McCarthy at the helm and Dinklage and Bean on board, things are looking pretty good.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 10:32 AM   #657
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD View Post
Fred Flintstone (the back-up version, even) is playing Robert? Yeesh...

I was flipping through some pictures of him on his IMDB page. There are some stills from a movie called "The Order" (don't recall it, though it had Heath Ledger in it) and he looked much more Robertesque than he did as the poorman's Fred Flintstone.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 07-20-2009, 10:44 AM   #658
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
I was flipping through some pictures of him on his IMDB page. There are some stills from a movie called "The Order" (don't recall it, though it had Heath Ledger in it) and he looked much more Robertesque than he did as the poorman's Fred Flintstone.

IIRC that was a pretty sweet flick.
Old 07-20-2009, 11:12 AM   #659
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Jaime is going to be the most difficult one to cast. I think it has to be an Orlando Bloom type of person (well an Orlando Bloom who can act - and be convincing as sometimes evil/sometimes good character).

See, I think it's even tougher than that. For me, Jaime is a much bigger guy than Orlando Bloom. I'm picturing someone more say... Jon Cena sized, but who can act and has Bloom's looks.

Quote:
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
Old 07-20-2009, 11:16 AM   #660
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

here's a thought - Khal Drogo = The Rock

I keep picturing him in Scorpion King getup

lol

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 07-20-2009 at 11:18 AM.
Old 07-20-2009, 11:19 AM   #661
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:

Well, I wasn't going based off of looks, really (though Robert is supposed to be huge all around, not just his gut). Addy is much more of a comedic actor, and Robert isn't exactly a comedic character. Hopefully he has dramatic chops that I'm not aware of...

Old 07-20-2009, 11:21 AM   #662
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

For Jaime I see Jason Isaacs (Lucius Malfoy in Harry Potter) or Martin Csokas (Celeborn in LOTR). Generally not overly muscle-bound.
Old 07-20-2009, 11:29 AM   #663
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
For Jaime I see Jason Isaacs (Lucius Malfoy in Harry Potter) or Martin Csokas (Celeborn in LOTR). Generally not overly muscle-bound.

Yeah, I was trying to think of someone big, but not muscle bound. Almost went Matt Damon there - in body type that is.

Quote:
Old 07-20-2009, 11:30 AM   #664
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

I think a buffed-up (not roided, just buff) DiCaprio would make a good Jamie. Not that it would ever happen, but if we're throwing out names.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 11:42 AM   #665
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Damon and DiCaprio are too short.
Old 07-20-2009, 11:50 AM   #666
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Damon and DiCaprio are too short.

I don't recall LotR using midgets for the Hobbitses. This isn't a stage play, I don't think height should be much of an issue.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Old 07-20-2009, 11:52 AM   #667
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

yeah. fun stuff can be done with camera angles and all to adjust height
Old 07-20-2009, 11:55 AM   #668
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
yeah. fun stuff can be done with camera angles and all to adjust height

Not to mention that everyone in Hollywood is short, so it's all relative.

I think Brad Pitt circa 10 years ago could have played Jamie well also. He's too old now though, I suspect.
Old 07-20-2009, 12:06 PM   #669
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Well, and he's Brad Pitt, so why would he do an HBO series?
Old 07-20-2009, 12:07 PM   #670
Autumn
Head Coach

Exciting to see this really moving forward. I think Sean Bean works for that. I don't think he's "pretty" enough to be Jaime. We need someone there who you can kind of loathe to begin with because he's so arrogant, not in a Boromir kind of way, but just a pretty spoiled boy way.
Autumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 12:08 PM   #671
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
Not to mention that everyone in Hollywood is short, so it's all relative.

I think Brad Pitt circa 10 years ago could have played Jamie well also. He's too old now though, I suspect.

I agree that someone in the Brad Pitt mold (obviously Brad Pitt himself is waaaay too big a name for this, or any other, series) would have been perfect. Similar to his spin as Achilles in "Troy."

Jaime isn't so much big as he is fast. I definitely pictured him as being more physically intimidating than Orlando Bloom.
Old 07-20-2009, 12:11 PM   #672
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
I agree that someone in the Brad Pitt mold (obviously Brad Pitt himself is waaaay too big a name for this, or any other, series) would have been perfect. Similar to his spin as Achilles in "Troy."

Jaime isn't so much big as he is fast. I definitely pictured him as being more physically intimidating than Orlando Bloom.

Yeah, I'm not finding a good way to explain it - but Bloom was just too small for what I picture. Someone of the Pitt mold would probably work fine.

I know he's too big of a hotshot now, but maybe even someone like Ryan Reynolds style.

Quote:
Old 07-20-2009, 12:15 PM   #673
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore View Post
Yeah, I'm not finding a good way to explain it - but Bloom was just too small for what I picture. Someone of the Pitt mold would probably work fine.

I know he's too big of a hotshot now, but maybe even someone like Ryan Reynolds style.

I get what you're saying and I think that is the right mold. You need someone who can be intimidating, yet still is a pretty boy. Who is an arrogant bastard, but is still charasmatic and charming. You add in the fact that the actor has to resemble whoever they cast as Cersei - to at least some reasonable degree - makes it all the more challenging.

The casting of the Lannister siblings are really key. So far, so great with Tyrion.
Old 07-20-2009, 12:17 PM   #674
wade moore
lolzcat

We need to play the "who would you cast" game..

Used to love doing this with GI Joe, Marvel, etc before they found ways to screw it up .

Quote:
Old 07-20-2009, 12:39 PM   #675
Autumn
Head Coach

How about what's his name, Ryan Phillipe for Jaime?
Old 07-20-2009, 12:47 PM   #676
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn View Post
Height would be my only potential concern there. Just finally watched Crash on Friday - he'd be a pretty damned good selection.

Quote:
Old 07-20-2009, 02:07 PM   #677
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn View Post

Great idea, I think he could pull it off quite well...

Old 07-20-2009, 02:11 PM   #678
wade moore
lolzcat

Most of you guys won't know this kid, but..

He was on the ABC Family show Kyle XY - Chris Olivero

I think he'd work for Jaime.

Quote:
Old 07-20-2009, 02:15 PM   #679
chesapeake
College Starter

Mark Addy is the fat guy in the Full Monty. He had a US sitcom fairly recently, too. I don't know that he has done much that aired in the US that was not a comedy.

Casting Sean Bean as Ned Stark sounds to me like they wanted a "big name" actor on the project to kick it off, but didn't want to pay a big name actor's salary for very long.
chesapeake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 02:51 PM   #680
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

He may be a bit young, but I think Christopher Egan, who was Daniel in "Kings" would be a decent choice for Jamie.
Old 07-20-2009, 03:10 PM   #681
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
He may be a bit young, but I think Christopher Egan, who was Daniel in "Kings" would be a decent choice for Jamie.

I actually said this to Wade. But, for the record, you mean David not Daniel, and I think Jamie is actually about 5 years younger than Christopher Egan.

"...the better half of the Moores..." -cthomer5000
lordscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 03:15 PM   #682
JeeberD
General Manager

I only know Egan from Kings, but he seems too "nice" for Jaime.

Old 07-20-2009, 03:18 PM   #683
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordscarlet View Post
I actually said this to Wade. But, for the record, you mean David not Daniel, and I think Jamie is actually about 5 years younger than Christopher Egan.

They're gonna have bump up the ages of about everyone anyway.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 06:13 PM   #684
OldGiants
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post

Mark Addy I don't recognize the name or the face. But okay.

Really?

"The case of Great Britain is the most astonishing in this matter of inequality of rights in world soccer championships. The way they explained it to me as a child, God is one but He's three: Father, Son and Holy Ghost. I could never understand it. And I still don't understand why Great Britain is one but she's four....while [others] continue to be no more than one despite the diverse nationalities that make them up." Eduardo Galeano, SOCCER IN SUN AND SHADOW
OldGiants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 07:25 PM   #685
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldGiants View Post
Really?

yes, really
Old 07-20-2009, 07:59 PM   #686
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

yes, really x2.
Old 07-21-2009, 01:39 AM   #687
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I get what you're saying and I think that is the right mold. You need someone who can be intimidating, yet still is a pretty boy. Who is an arrogant bastard, but is still charasmatic and charming. You add in the fact that the actor has to resemble whoever they cast as Cersei - to at least some reasonable degree - makes it all the more challenging.

I don't think Beckham's available.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 07:58 AM   #688
Autumn
Head Coach

David and Posh for Jaime and Cersei? lol Perfect.
Old 07-21-2009, 12:32 PM   #689
3ric
College Starter

I'd probably pick Paul Bettany for Jaime.
Old 07-21-2009, 01:06 PM   #690
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Nice suggestion!
Old 07-21-2009, 01:10 PM   #691
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

It is a good idea. Unfortunately Bettany has 2 films coming out next year that he's currently filming and another is in pre-production and a couple more in development. It depends on when the show will start filming, I guess.
Old 07-21-2009, 01:24 PM   #692
wade moore
lolzcat

Again - Bettany is almost 40 years old. If my math is right, Jaime isn't even 20 in the books - right?

Quote:
Old 07-21-2009, 01:27 PM   #693
JeeberD
General Manager

I don't think that's right. I mean, Joffrey's what, 13? I don't think Cercei got knocked up at 7 years old...that's a little extreme even for this series.

Old 07-21-2009, 01:33 PM   #694
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

I always pegged Jamie/Cersei in their late-20's.
Old 07-21-2009, 01:33 PM   #695
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Jaime became a member of the Kingsguard when he was 15, yes, but then it was years until the overthrow and ascension of Robert, and then years again for Robert to grow older and much fatter to bring us to the present day. I'd guess Jaime is in his mid/late 30s, or older.
Old 07-21-2009, 01:35 PM   #696
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

House Lannister - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
Younger twin to Cersei, and son of Tywin and Joanna, Jaime Lannister (a POV character) is one of the most famous knights in all of Westeros. At fifteen, he became a knight and ascended to the elite Kingsguard, the members of which can neither hold lands nor marry. Two years after his induction he murdered Mad King Aerys during the sack of King's Landing, earning him the epithet "Kingslayer". Though he shares his sister's arrogance, amorality, and striking good looks, he is much more reckless and easily amused. In A Storm of Swords he becomes a point-of-view character.

So he was 17 when he killed Mad King Aerys.

And Joffery was 13 when he was ascended to the throne. So, I guess one could make the case that Jaime is a shade over 30.
Old 07-21-2009, 01:36 PM   #697
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore View Post
Again - Bettany is almost 40 years old. If my math is right, Jaime isn't even 20 in the books - right?

I think Jaime is in his early-to-mid 30's.

I think Ned is 35 when the book starts (or thereabouts) and Jaime is a contemporary of Ned and Robert's, maybe a couple of years younger. The whole Robert's Rebellion war took place about 16 years or so before the books start and, while the youngest member of Kingsguard, Jaime had already been a member for a couple of years or so.
Old 07-21-2009, 01:36 PM   #698
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Let me clarify. At the beginning of the series Joffrey is 12. If he was conceived right at the start of Robert's reign and if Aerys was overthrown right after Jaime became a member of the Kingsguard (at 15), then Jaime & Cersei would be 27 right now. So likely more like early 30s.
Old 07-21-2009, 01:41 PM   #699
JeeberD
General Manager

I'm guessing 32. The wiki entries I read said Jamie joined the Kingsguard at 15 and killed Aerys two years later. Another entry says that Cersei was married to Robert for 15 years. And Robert married Cersei when Robert took the throne, correct?

15+2+15=32

Last edited by JeeberD : 07-21-2009 at 01:41 PM.
Old 07-21-2009, 01:43 PM   #700
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Let me clarify. At the beginning of the series Joffrey is 12. If he was conceived right at the start of Robert's reign and if Aerys was overthrown right after Jaime became a member of the Kingsguard (at 15), then Jaime & Cersei would be 27 right now. So likely more like early 30s.

We know Robb was conceived right before Ned ran off to battle with Robert. So, if Jaime was 17 when he killed Aerys and Robb is, what, 14-15 when the books start? That does put Jaime right around his early 30's.

Casting-wise, I think most actors are going to be older. For example, Sean Bean is 50 and Ned is only 35. They will also likely need to age the kids a bit and use older actors in those roles to avoid the inevitable problem of the actors growing up much faster than the shooting schedule allows (see, e.g., Walt in "Lost"). Given the glacial pace at which HBO shoots its series, it will likely be an issue.