Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-07-2013, 04:52 PM   #651
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

1985 Bo Jackson Scouting Report: "The Best Pure Athlete In America"

Pretty cool - Bo Jackson scouting report from 1985.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 07:11 PM   #652
McLovin
Mascot

JA Happ just taken off the field in a stretcher after being hit in the head with a line drive in Tampa.
McLovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 07:17 PM   #653
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Terrible season in Jays land.
Old 05-07-2013, 07:19 PM   #654
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Matt Kemp Puts A Smile On A Young Boys Face Who Just Overcame Brain Surgery! - Sportsality
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 07:22 PM   #655
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapshoot View Post
1985 Bo Jackson Scouting Report: "The Best Pure Athlete In America"

Pretty cool - Bo Jackson scouting report from 1985.

A lot of these are from Welcome to Diamond Mines | Diamond Mines

It seems to be hit or miss on if it will load right now but there are some really interesting ones on there. You can see reports on Willie McCovey and Henry Aaron that are obviously a sign of the times as they are pretty racist to seeing Chipper Jones only having two average tools.
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 07:39 PM   #656
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Matt Kemp is a cool ass dude. One of the good guys in the league.
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 07:45 PM   #657
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

i would really like the Mets to score a run for Matt Harvey
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 07:50 PM   #658
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLovin View Post
JA Happ just taken off the field in a stretcher after being hit in the head with a line drive in Tampa.

That's a scary one to watch...swelling and blood clots immediately come to mind. Obviously I hope it looks worse than it is.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 07:52 PM   #659
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Damn
Old 05-07-2013, 07:58 PM   #660
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I love how Harvey reacted to losing the perfect game and no no. Didn't pitch a fit in between innings,just went into the dugout like it was business as usual. Kid is so money.
Old 05-07-2013, 08:03 PM   #661
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike D View Post
That's a scary one to watch...swelling and blood clots immediately come to mind. Obviously I hope it looks worse than it is.

Yet another easily avoided injury if pitchers were forced to finish in a defensive position with glove ready to defend face instead of falling off the mound and putting yourself in a totally defenseless position.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 09:10 PM   #662
Logan
Head Coach

Missed the Mets game but wow is Harvey just unreal. 9 IP, 12 Ks and just an infield single.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
Yet another easily avoided injury if pitchers were forced to finish in a defensive position with glove ready to defend face instead of falling off the mound and putting yourself in a totally defenseless position.

Forced?
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 04:45 AM   #663
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Missed the Mets game but wow is Harvey just unreal. 9 IP, 12 Ks and just an infield single.

Forced?

By their coaches. It's just silly to continue to have these pitchers not be in a good defensive position. It'll never happen because it would take a couple of mph off of their fastballs.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 08:40 AM   #664
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
I love how Harvey reacted to losing the perfect game and no no. Didn't pitch a fit in between innings,just went into the dugout like it was business as usual. Kid is so money.

I've never seen a pitcher "pitch a fit" when he lost a no hitter
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 08:49 AM   #665
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Kudos to Harvey not being the first then. Yay Harvey!

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 08:52 AM   #666
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
I've never seen a pitcher "pitch a fit" when he lost a no hitter

really? You've never seen a guy go into the dugout on slam his glove down or walk into the tunnel all pissed off?
Old 05-08-2013, 09:00 AM   #667
MrBug708
Head Coach

Not really, no
Old 05-08-2013, 09:27 AM   #668
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
really? You've never seen a guy go into the dugout on slam his glove down or walk into the tunnel all pissed off?

In Orange County, we call this "the Lackey" or we say "Boy, he sure Lackeyed up that dugout!"

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 05-08-2013, 09:40 AM   #669
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
In Orange County, we call this "the Lackey" or we say "Boy, he sure Lackeyed up that dugout!"

Wait, I thought a "Lackey" was when a pitcher stood on the mound with his hands on his hips staring at one of his teammates who made a bad defensive play for an uncomfortably long time?
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 09:48 AM   #670
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
Wait, I thought a "Lackey" was when a pitcher stood on the mound with his hands on his hips staring at one of his teammates who made a bad defensive play for an uncomfortably long time?

It turns out that "Lackey" has many definitions.

Old 05-08-2013, 10:00 AM   #671
Suicane75
Coordinator

Lathum has a girlfriend, Lathum has a girlfriend.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 11:18 PM   #672
MrBug708
Head Coach

I'm ready to get rid of Mattingly. I dont care about how many Dodgers are injured. They can kick Coletti out too
Old 05-09-2013, 07:23 AM   #673
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
I'm ready to get rid of Mattingly. I dont care about how many Dodgers are injured. They can kick Coletti out too

Yep, another 1 run loss. Another loss allowing 3 runs. Another game where we don't hit.

33 games in, 10 games below .500 in a season we were supposed to win the division.

If you figure we need to win 90 games to reasonably expect to make the playoffs we would need to go 77-52 or a .597 winning percentage to get there. That would better than any other team in the West has played so far this season. It's not out of the realm of possibility, but we are really, really close to not being able to get there at all. That's the problem.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 08:14 AM   #674
Jas_lov
College Starter

I hope this means we can get rid of this "winning the offseason" garbage. It doesnt mean anything. Toronto Blue Jays - last place. LA Dodgers - last place. LA Angels - 2nd to last place, saved only by one of the worst teams in AL history.
Jas_lov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 09:46 AM   #675
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Is there a standard in the MLB parks for the equipment that umps use for instant replay review? All I can figure from the A's game last night is that the TV the umps were using to review the home run was a 13 inch black and white TV. It was pretty clear the ball bounced off the railing above the fence.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 10:14 AM   #676
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas_lov View Post
I hope this means we can get rid of this "winning the offseason" garbage. It doesnt mean anything. Toronto Blue Jays - last place. LA Dodgers - last place. LA Angels - 2nd to last place, saved only by one of the worst teams in AL history.

And that one of the worst teams in AL history has already clinched a series win against the Angels in their current season.

I am numb with disbelief at how bad this Angels team is. It's not that I thought they were world beaters. I had serious doubts about the pitching and on the hit and miss nature of the hitting. But even my worst prognostications could not have foreseen them being this bad.

At least Hamilton hit a homerun. I was beginning to wonder if he was still alive.

Old 05-09-2013, 10:15 AM   #677
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
Is there a standard in the MLB parks for the equipment that umps use for instant replay review? All I can figure from the A's game last night is that the TV the umps were using to review the home run was a 13 inch black and white TV. It was pretty clear the ball bounced off the railing above the fence.

This article from 2008 (which could, of course, be outdated by now) says a 20 inch flat screen is what's in the box.
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ba...ticle-1.316587
Old 05-09-2013, 10:25 AM   #678
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
This article from 2008 (which could, of course, be outdated by now) says a 20 inch flat screen is what's in the box.

The article makes the ump's decision even more head-scratching.

Quote:
The operations center features 13 large-screen televisions on the front wall, and three rows of work stations containing computers and video equipment. From this room, the technicians and umpiring supervisors provide replays to the umpires; they also have the ability to freeze and zoom in for the umps. They do not, however, offer opinions - the crew chief is left to interpret the multiple camera angles provided. The crew chief, after viewing the replays, makes a final decision.

I guess the umps didn't ask for a freeze and zoom.
Old 05-09-2013, 03:10 PM   #679
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Nice.

Old 05-09-2013, 03:23 PM   #680
cuervo72
Head Coach

Eh, he's better off.
Old 05-09-2013, 03:33 PM   #681
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
Eh, he's better off.

And he smelled like beer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud
None of this shit is personal. It's the internet.
RomaGoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 03:41 PM   #682
bhlloy
Coordinator

That's so set up. Nobody reacts like that.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 04:36 PM   #683
Logan
Head Coach

Having a straight actor play that role would have been more believable.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 04:37 PM   #684
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Having a straight actor play that role would have been more believable.

Maybe he just has a cocaine habit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud
None of this shit is personal. It's the internet.
RomaGoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 12:10 PM   #685
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

5 Lost Scouting Reports

Entertaining read from Grant Brisbee, the blogger from SB Nation who regularly pens the Giants blog McCovey Chronicles. The article is non-Giants centric.

Last edited by Vince, Pt. II : 05-10-2013 at 12:11 PM.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 12:33 PM   #686
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Amused by the commentary of the Royals play-by-play announcer last night on TV when the highlight of the Yankees game was shown in-between batters.....

"Taking you to New York, we find Robinson Cano doing something that he couldn't do in the Home Run Derby.......hit a homerun."

Should be a fun night at the K. I'm sure Cano will receive plenty of boos each time he steps to the plate.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 05-10-2013 at 12:34 PM.
Old 05-10-2013, 01:05 PM   #687
cartman
Death Herald

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post

According to Deadspin, it is likely a 19 inch 720p Sharp Aquos.

http://deadspin.com/mlbs-crappy-repl...-get-499041275
Old 05-11-2013, 03:29 PM   #688
lungs
Pro Rookie

Angels fans... Do you miss Jean Segura?
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 03:54 PM   #689
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lungs View Post
Angels fans... Do you miss Jean Segura?

Yes and no. Offense hasn't been that much of a problem. Luis Jimenez wasn't too bad filling in for Callaspo and Aybar while they were out. Aybar is a decent shortstop, both in the field and at the plate.

That said, Segura's doing terrific, and considering they didn't resign Greinke and didn't make the playoffs last year, it feels like a pointless trade involving a prospect who could have either been starting at 3B or allowed us to just let Aybar go to free agency this past offseason and use the money saved on pitching.

Old 05-11-2013, 04:18 PM   #690
bhlloy
Coordinator

CR - how much faith do you still have in DiPoto? Seems like he's worse than Reagins at this point, in my opinion.
Old 05-11-2013, 05:18 PM   #691
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
CR - how much faith do you still have in DiPoto? Seems like he's worse than Reagins at this point, in my opinion.

My faith in DiPoto has dropped tons. There are numerous decisions that have amazed me.

I should have suspected an issue from the start when he let Eddie Bane, the old head of scouting, go. Bane, who identified Trout as a guy to spend a first round pick on (among other good scouting moves).

Let's just take the major moves of the last season or so.

--Signing Albert Pujols (not on DiPoto, but on Arte, this may still pan out)
--Signing CJ Wilson (this could still be good, but DiPoto needs to be sure the coaching staff can work the same magic with Wilson that Texas's did; if not, get a pitching coach who can)
--Trout starting in the minors last season (okay, could put this on Scioscia; Trout was great in spring training 2012)
--firing Mickey Hatcher and elevating Jim Eppard (good move and long, long overdue)
--Greinke trade (I still like this trade IF they brought him back; they didn't because DiPoto did not accurately project the pitching market in the offseason; money spent on Hamilton should have gone to retaining Greinke)
--Not sitting down Scioscia at the end of last season and telling him plainly-- "If I hand you a talented squad this offseason and your team starts off with an awful APril AGAIN, you will be fired."
--Trading Santana for two reasons; 1. again, didn't project the pitching market properly, should have kept one of Santana or Haren, 2) he got absolutely nothing for Santana
--Letting Haren go after having traded Santana (Haren has not done well in Washington, but Santana was gone; DiPoto put all his eggs in the Greinke basket)
--Wasting money on a guy with TJ surgery who still isn't back (Ryan Madson)
--Pissing off fan favorite Torii Hunter with well below market contract offers; if you don't want to keep him, tell Torii, thank you, but we're moving in another direction
--Trading for/signing three pitchers who are all flyball pitchers in Hanson, Vargas and Blanton
--Hanson trade was a good move
--Vargas deal was awful, not just because Vargas was a flyball pitcher moving to a more hitter friendly park, but because trading away Morales gutted the "medium level contributions" of the lineup, making this a much more hit or miss offense
--Blanton might have been the worst pitcher available in free agency, and they signed him for 2 years, $15 M. There were better pitchers out there who signed for less, and you could have had guys like Lohse, Jackson or Sanchez for a little bit more
--Hamilton deal may still pan out in and of itself; he's a hell of a player when he's going right; but the opportunity cost lost from all that money spent and losing Greinke is just enormous. Signing Hamilton not only cost the Angels their first round pick this year, but it makes it incredibly difficult to make moves to correct the team's pitching

Except for a couple deals here or things you can pin on Arte or Scioscia, for the most part this is all on DiPoto. He has been straight awful.

Old 05-11-2013, 05:49 PM   #692
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

What a great start to the home stand!
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 09:41 AM   #693
korme
Go Reds

Hope the Reds didn't use up all of their run scoring skills yesterday, I will be going to today's mother's day game. This will be my 3rd game of the season, and I get Bronson Arroyo for the 3rd time. Yipee.

Also, this will be my mother's 10th mother's day tote bag. Mix it up, Reds PR! No one wants a tote bag!
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 09:44 AM   #694
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by korme View Post
Hope the Reds didn't use up all of their run scoring skills yesterday, I will be going to today's mother's day game. This will be my 3rd game of the season, and I get Bronson Arroyo for the 3rd time. Yipee.

Also, this will be my mother's 10th mother's day tote bag. Mix it up, Reds PR! No one wants a tote bag!

What? Today is mothers day?
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 12:39 PM   #695
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Except for a couple deals here or things you can pin on Arte or Scioscia, for the most part this is all on DiPoto. He has been straight awful.

Yeah, that's basically my take too. The most disappointing thing on a personal level is that he's taken a team that played a really unique, aggressive style and turned them into just another team with overpaid sluggers in the middle of the lineup. But I could live with that if the team was at least good, this team looks like it might be a trainwreck for years to come.

On that note, I hate that he doesn't have the balls to fire Scoscia. So instead we're just moving on with this sham that Mike coaches a team that isn't built for his style at all, and DiPoto keeps signing and trading for players that don't fit the style either, and we're going to get a 70 win season out of it.
Old 05-14-2013, 12:26 AM   #696
fantom1979
College Benchwarmer

There is a Bryce Harper shaped hole in the fence in right field in LA.

Baseball Video Highlights & Clips | WSH@LAD: Harper collides with wall, exits the game - Video | MLB.com: Multimedia

Last edited by fantom1979 : 05-14-2013 at 12:26 AM.
fantom1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 03:49 PM   #697
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Terribly sad day for everyone in KC. Fred White passed away today, one day after retiring from the Royals organization. He and Denny Matthews are the cornerstones of the Royals radio broadcasts. They were the guys who broadcast during the glory days of the franchise during the 70s and first half of the 80s. He also was a huge part of the Big 8 conference basketball broadcasts.

Former Royals broadcaster Fred White dies - KansasCity.com
Old 05-15-2013, 09:54 PM   #698
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Man, Country Breakfast is on fire right now. 8 for his last 10 with a homer and nine RBI's. He's an easy guy to root for.
Old 05-16-2013, 07:35 AM   #699
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Man, I knew the Mets would be bad, but this is really bad.

I can't for the life of me figure out why they signed Astros cast off Ankiel to play and not give some of the younger guys the time to see what they can do.
Old 05-16-2013, 10:10 AM   #700
cartman
Death Herald

Should be a great pitching duel in Arlington tonight when the Tigers with Verlander on the mound face off against the Rangers and Darvish.

Now watch the game be a 16-15 slugfest, with the starters chased after 3 innings.