Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-19-2013, 06:04 AM   #651
rowech
Pro Starter

I watched the fourth quarter and overtime of this game and I remembered why I don't watch the NBA. This isn't basketball. The stuff players are allowed to get away with only confuses things when something like Ginobli's drive happens and nothing is called. I think the game is just blah watching it. Court desperately needs widened to open things up for the size of these guys.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 06:26 AM   #652
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I stayed up late to watch it and loved it. I'm not going to kill the officials when there wasn't one call/ non call that changed the game. The Spurs had their chances and blew it. Leonard makes one free throw and it is probably over.

I can see people killing Pop today, but lets not forget he has won 4 titles in the last 12-14 seasons without bringin in flashy free agents in a small market. Guy is an amazing coach.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 06:37 AM   #653
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I hear there is video of all the people leaving early, then banging on the doors trying to get back in when the Heat tie the game. Apparently it got to the point where they had to call the police.
Old 06-19-2013, 07:37 AM   #654
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

They deserve not being let in.
Old 06-19-2013, 07:45 AM   #655
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Drachma View Post
Basically. Refs didn't decide this game. A ton of missed shots did. Spurs had this thing on lock, Heat were despondent and they didn't close it out. No one to blame but themselves.

Let's be careful with that BS line of thinking. Both can play a role but one doesn't excuse the other. You don't get a free pass for crappy reffing because the other team went cold. Not saying it necessarily happened in this game (and you see it a ton in college hoops): is it one team's fault if they can't make a shot because the refs swallow the whistle and let them get away with murder on the defensive end?

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 07:46 AM   #656
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
Yes. No team down 3-2 going home for the final two games wins game 6 and lost game 7.

Isn't there a small sample size at work there, tho? There have been 5 or less times in NBA history where a home team was down 3-2 and won game 6.

SI

Old 06-19-2013, 07:47 AM   #657
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapshoot View Post
Zach Lowe makes me care more about the mechanics of basketball than I ever have before - he's ridiculously good.

Amen. Is there a sports Pulitzer and how do we get it to him? I haven't been as impressed by a writer since Poznanski peaked a few years ago before he spread himself too thin. Different types of writers but both of excellent quality.

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 06-19-2013 at 07:47 AM.
Old 06-19-2013, 07:56 AM   #658
spleen1015
Coordinator

The one thing that drives me nuts is that a foul in the first 46 minutes of the game isn't going to be a foul in the last 2 minutes. Either it is a foul or it is not. It shouldn't matter how much time is on the clock.

I want the Heat to lose as much as anybody and I don't like Lebron James at all. I was impressed last night with the stretch starting the 4th where they got themselves back into the game. James needs to bring it like that all of the time.
Old 06-19-2013, 07:58 AM   #659
Logan
Head Coach

Hundreds Of Heat Fans Leave Game 6 Early; A Nation Laughs
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 08:04 AM   #660
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
I want the Heat to lose as much as anybody and I don't like Lebron James at all. I was impressed last night with the stretch starting the 4th where they got themselves back into the game. James needs to bring it like that all of the time.

People can hate LeBron all they want, but I don't think it is fair to say he should bring it like that all the time. By that logic he should average 80 points a game? Playing that way isn't sustainable for long stretches, and there are maybe 2-3 guys in the league who can elevate their game like that.
Old 06-19-2013, 08:05 AM   #661
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
The one thing that drives me nuts is that a foul in the first 46 minutes of the game isn't going to be a foul in the last 2 minutes. Either it is a foul or it is not. It shouldn't matter how much time is on the clock.

Yup, it's starting to get ridiculous. You can pretty much tackle a guy in the final minute of a game and get away with it. San Antonio got hosed on two really important fouls late.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 08:06 AM   #662
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I like how the first picture from Deadspin has a guy on the escalator in a Bucks jersey. WTF is that all about.

Then again, I have always found it kind of douchey to wear a jersey to a game for a team that isn't even playing.
Old 06-19-2013, 08:10 AM   #663
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
I like how the first picture from Deadspin has a guy on the escalator in a Bucks jersey. WTF is that all about.

Then again, I have always found it kind of douchey to wear a jersey to a game for a team that isn't even playing.

I was confused at first too, but then remembered it's a Ray Allen jersey.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 08:11 AM   #664
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

It's a Ray Allen Bucks jersey I believe.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 08:15 AM   #665
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

that makes a little more sense then, of course, if I spent all my money on a ticket and couldn't afford a Ray Allen Heat jersey I would stay until the end.
Old 06-19-2013, 09:15 AM   #666
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Maybe it was DT. Didn't he make a post about Ray Allen being a traitor?
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 09:24 AM   #667
hoopsguy
General Manager

Yes, I'm sure DT was terribly frustrated with the messy divorce between Ray Allen and the Bucks

Last edited by hoopsguy : 06-19-2013 at 09:24 AM. Reason: spelling is hard
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 10:14 AM   #668
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Hey, guys, did anything of import happen last night?

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 12:01 PM   #669
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
Isn't there a small sample size at work there, tho? There have been 5 or less times in NBA history where a home team was down 3-2 and won game 6.

SI

I don't think the Spurs will have enough in the tank for Game 7.
Old 06-19-2013, 12:03 PM   #670
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I don't think the Spurs will have enough in the tank for Game 7.

That I'd buy.

I was just saying that I'm not banking much on something that has only presented itself 5 times in the history of the game.

SI

Old 06-19-2013, 12:09 PM   #671
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
that makes a little more sense then, of course, if I spent all my money on a ticket and couldn't afford a Ray Allen Heat jersey I would stay until the end.

Some fans just like to wear throwbacks grandpa. It makes them feel more fan-like to wear a jersey from a franchise you forgot they played. And probably didn't own a Sonics Ray Allen jersey. Alas...
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 12:18 PM   #672
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Drachma View Post
Some fans just like to wear throwbacks grandpa. It makes them feel more fan-like to wear a jersey from a franchise you forgot they played. And probably didn't own a Sonics Ray Allen jersey. Alas...

meh. I root for the name on the front
Old 06-19-2013, 01:25 PM   #673
Arles
Grey Dog Software

The refereeing wasn't great, but it was consistent. All night Lebron and Wade were not getting any calls on drives with a little contact. And, watching both plays at full speed, if you don't call the Green strip on Lebron where Green clearly hits Lebron's left arm before the ball goes out then you can't call the Ginobli play. Manu took three steps before he was touched - but it was just as bang-bang as the Lebron-Green play. At the end of the day, Manu did exactly what Wade and Lebron were doing in the 3rd - barreling into the lane and hoping to get bailed out. To the refs credit, they didn't call that either way all night.

The refs just let things go in the 3rd, 4th and OT. In the 3rd, it helped SA - in the OT it helped Miami.
Old 06-19-2013, 01:44 PM   #674
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles View Post
The refereeing wasn't great, but it was consistent. All night Lebron and Wade were not getting any calls on drives with a little contact. And, watching both plays at full speed, if you don't call the Green strip on Lebron where Green clearly hits Lebron's left arm before the ball goes out then you can't call the Ginobli play. Manu took three steps before he was touched - but it was just as bang-bang as the Lebron-Green play. At the end of the day, Manu did exactly what Wade and Lebron were doing in the 3rd - barreling into the lane and hoping to get bailed out. To the refs credit, they didn't call that either way all night.

The refs just let things go in the 3rd, 4th and OT. In the 3rd, it helped SA - in the OT it helped Miami.

The only person with some damn sense.

Let's not forget the illegal substitution by the Spurs when they did not have any timeouts, but were able to get Duncan in the game for the final play. Or the fact that the Spurs shot more free throws and had less fouls called on them.
Old 06-19-2013, 02:04 PM   #675
Arles
Grey Dog Software

I saw 6 "50-50" calls from the 2nd period on that all benefited SA:

1. Leonard hitting Miller in the face with his offhand on his dunk
2. Leonard knocking Ray Allen out of bounds with his shoulder before a foul is called on Wade (his 4th I think)
3-4. 2 total drives by Wade and Lebron in the 3rd where no calls occurred after contact
5. Lebron posting up Parker and getting an offensive foul call where no real foul was seen
6. A no call on Danny Green on the strip of Lebron after the turnover late. Again, most refs in Miami make that call as Green was clearly trying to prevent Lebron from getting a layup. But, to the credit of the refs, they could not see a foul and didn't blow the whistle.

Now, did Miami get the benefit of a similar no-call late on Ginobili? Yes, but for SA to think that you are going to get 6 50-50s in a row and never be on the other side - on the road - is a little outlandish. Overall, the refs error-ed on the side of no-calls and I think that was the right move in this game. Don't also discount the whole "flopping" argument over this series where guys like Lebron, Bosh and Manu were shown to be flopping earlier in the series. That's another reason why the refs wouldn't give those guys the benefit of the doubt if they don't see a foul.

Last edited by Arles : 06-19-2013 at 02:05 PM.
Arles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 06:13 PM   #676
nol
Banned

Leonard also got a really soft three point play in the first on a layup where James looked to be running past the play to avoid the foul. All of that not to say the Heat were getting royally screwed, but one could have expected a near-riot had such calls against the home team taken place place in Boston or Los Angeles or just about anywhere else.
nol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 06:16 PM   #677
MrBug708
Head Coach

I think Arles hates SA after the technical in the SA-Suns playoff series a few years back
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 06:19 AM   #678
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Yesterday, I found myself in earshot of two distinct sports-talk radio shows on in the background. In both instances, the host said some version of "I picked the Heat to win it all at the start of the playoffs, and I am sticking with that. I think that they win on Thursday." And, through use of inflection and emphasis, each host managed to make that sound like a bold and/or brave position to take.

So, before the playoffs, you pick the defending champs--the #1 overall seed who had a 27-game winning streak and employs the undisputed best player alive.

Now? You are picking that same team to win a game seven at home coming off a game six that saw them completely wrest the momentum away from the visiting team.

And, somehow, you manage to make taking that position sound bold and/or brave and, somehow, even noble. No fair-weather-fan you. You are sticking to your guns.

And that's how you get paid really good money to say really obvious things about sports on the radio. It isn't about what you say. It is about how you say it.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 11:01 AM   #679
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
I think Arles hates SA after the technical in the SA-Suns playoff series a few years back
Nah, I respect the Spurs. I just feel that there's so much over-the-top criticism of the Heat (and specifically Lebron) that it gets a little silly. If Miami loses tonight, everyone in the national media is going to say that Miami "has to" break up the big 3 and do something different. Yet, this team has made it to 3 straight finals, one title and a game 7 at home.

No one says that Indiana needs to "blow it up" after getting beat two straight playoffs by the Heat or that Memphis needs to make massive changes after losing to the Spurs or even that the Thunder need to redo their roster after falling short in two straight playoffs. I also doubt that if SA loses tonight that the media will be like "well, they need to trade Manu and Duncan to get more help for Parker - he can't do it all himself".

Yet, with the Heat, people can't wait to try to break them up and have that team make massive changes - even though they've been by far the most successful NBA team the past 3 seasons (and it's not even close).
Old 06-20-2013, 11:17 AM   #680
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Agree with everything you said up until this point:

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
And that's how you get paid really good money to say really obvious things about sports on the radio.

Unless you are talking ESPN guys, or a select few other national guys, you'd probably be shocked how little local market (even large locals) get these days.

For example, good friend, Charlotte NC, major time slot, largest sports radio channel, etc. Makes about $42k/year.

He is on air 4 hours a day, mandatory 2 hour prep, mandatory 1 hour post show recap and 12-15 weekly appearances where he drives his own vehicle to get to etc.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 12:33 PM   #681
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post

Unless you are talking ESPN guys, or a select few other national guys, you'd probably be shocked how little local market (even large locals) get these days.

For example, good friend, Charlotte NC, major time slot, largest sports radio channel, etc. Makes about $42k/year.

He is on air 4 hours a day, mandatory 2 hour prep, mandatory 1 hour post show recap and 12-15 weekly appearances where he drives his own vehicle to get to etc.

Interesting. Had no idea. I am shocked to hear that. I figured that a guy like you described would make six figures--not less than 50k
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 12:39 PM   #682
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post

On the other hand, the 2nd place AM-only sports talker in Atlanta just fired three schlubs this week (after the now-infamous Steve Gleason bit) that were all making six figures.

Go figure.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 06-20-2013 at 12:40 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 12:55 PM   #683
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Everything Matters: How to Understand (and Enjoy) Game 7 of the NBA Finals - The Triangle Blog - Grantland

For those who fall in love with the "choke" phenomenon, a really good read.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 08:23 PM   #684
Groundhog
Coordinator

Shaky start for both teams... Losing Manu hurts as he's looked like 'Good Manu' so far. Like that Green is using the closeouts to get some midrange looks, but they aren't dropping.
Old 06-20-2013, 08:28 PM   #685
Groundhog
Coordinator

Love how Diaw keeps LeBron out of the paint.
Old 06-20-2013, 08:32 PM   #686
dave731
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
Love how Diaw keeps LeBron out of the paint.
I've always wondered why teams just didn't force Lebron to shoot from outside...it's a winning strategy most of the time.
dave731 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 08:33 PM   #687
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave731 View Post
I've always wondered why teams just didn't force Lebron to shoot from outside...it's a winning strategy most of the time.

Having Duncan on help D helps.
Old 06-20-2013, 09:18 PM   #688
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Spurs are playing sloppy, and Miami feels like a team on the verge of breaking it open despite the score.
Old 06-20-2013, 09:24 PM   #689
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Spurs are playing sloppy, and Miami feels like a team on the verge of breaking it open despite the score.

Yeah, Spurs are in trouble if Wade and Miller/Battier are making their shots, because one fluke three aside, the Spurs role players are not doing a whole lot. Still, Spurs in a good position...

Hoping that whoever wins, it's a close 2nd half.
Old 06-20-2013, 09:28 PM   #690
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

I'm hoping it will be Miami blew their chance to build up a lead and pay for it in the second half.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 09:33 PM   #691
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
I'm hoping it will be Miami blew their chance to build up a lead and pay for it in the second half.

I'm hoping Wade and LeBron keep shooting Js. I think LeBron is one of those guys where sometimes, if you're a Heat fan, you don't like it when he knocks a few of those 3s down. Right now when they back up off him on D you can see he's thinking jumper the whole time.

Last edited by Groundhog : 06-20-2013 at 09:33 PM.
Groundhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 09:42 PM   #692
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

I almost feel like, though somebody has to win, a co-championship should almost be awarded. Not completely seriously of course, but Miami and San Antonio are just so close in this fantastic series ...

Also, amazing the evolution of the Spurs offense over the years. Right now it's the Leonard Iso keeping them close. Go figure.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 09:51 PM   #693
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
I'm hoping Wade and LeBron keep shooting Js. I think LeBron is one of those guys where sometimes, if you're a Heat fan, you don't like it when he knocks a few of those 3s down. Right now when they back up off him on D you can see he's thinking jumper the whole time.

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
FOOL - Cleveland Cyclones
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
CleBrownsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 09:54 PM   #694
korme
Go Reds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post
I almost feel like, though somebody has to win, a co-championship should almost be awarded. Not completely seriously of course, but Miami and San Antonio are just so close in this fantastic series ...

Also, amazing the evolution of the Spurs offense over the years. Right now it's the Leonard Iso keeping them close. Go figure.

Leigh Ellis tweeted that. Co-champs. Lebron gets #2, Duncan gets #5, everyone's happy.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 09:55 PM   #695
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Duncan makes a shot... he turns and runs back on defense like a professional.

LePunk makes a shot, he has to stand and pose... look at me.... look at me.... douchebag.
Old 06-20-2013, 09:56 PM   #696
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
Duncan makes a shot... he turns and runs back on defense like a professional.

LePunk makes a shot, he has to stand and pose... look at me.... look at me.... douchebag.

Too bad the world is quickly running out of Tim Duncans.
Old 06-20-2013, 09:57 PM   #697
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleBrownsfan View Post

I still say you rather him shooting those than driving to the basket and getting fouled or finding an open Ray Allen/Battier/Miller. If he knocks them all down... well... there's not much else you can do.
Old 06-20-2013, 09:57 PM   #698
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Sad but true...
Old 06-20-2013, 09:58 PM   #700
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:

Agreed. Loved the way he dragged Parker out of there when LeBron wanted to 'chat'.