Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-20-2010, 02:44 PM   #651
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyshaka View Post
Maybe those guys aren't as good as you think they should be?

Probably true, but I am a homer....
RomaGoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 02:45 PM   #652
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaGoth View Post
So would you say it isn't so much what I am doing wrong, but more how unrealistic it is that a guy like Hamhuis or Parrish are tearing it up, at least in the early season?

I've always had good luck with Mark Parrish in that game. He always scored a lot of goals for me.

Quote:
Maybe those guys aren't as good as you think they should be?

Being that you're in Edmonton, I really don't think you're in any position to comment on the quality of hockey players. It's been far, far too long since you've seen many good hockey players 'round them there parts.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).

Last edited by Honolulu_Blue : 08-20-2010 at 02:45 PM.
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 02:56 PM   #653
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
Being that you're in Edmonton, I really don't think you're in any position to comment on the quality of hockey players. It's been far, far too long since you've seen many good hockey players 'round them there parts.

Well, the Oilers aren't the only guys on the ice during a game up here...actually, most of the time, I question if they are even in the building at all!!

In all honesty, I haven't gone to an Oilers' game the last several years without asking who they were playing...if there isn't somebody on the other team worth watching then I'd rather not go. Hope that changes soon enough.
johnnyshaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 02:57 PM   #654
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Well, the Oilers aren't the only guys on the ice during a game up here...actually, most of the time, I question if they are even in the building at all!!

In all honesty, I haven't gone to an Oilers' game the last several years without asking who they were playing...if there isn't somebody on the other team worth watching then I'd rather not go. Hope that changes soon enough.

Come on now, you know you miss seeing Horcoff's nifty moves.
Old 08-20-2010, 05:29 PM   #655
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

You mean like the one he used to sign that contract.......yeah, I really miss that move.
johnnyshaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 05:50 PM   #656
Travis
Pro Rookie

Quote:

He really is in a class by himself when it comes to missing wide open one timers on the power play.

I also like his follow up move of giving up on the one timer, stopping the pass and hoping the goalie slides too far across the crease anticipating a one timer before placing it right in the goalie's crest.

Sigh.
Old 08-20-2010, 07:36 PM   #657
chrisj
H.S. Freshman Team

Location: Edmonton, Alberta (but still wishing I was in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
Fuck people who bump this thread. I always get hope that it is someone saying Riz is working on a new EHM.

Me too.
chrisj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 08:33 PM   #658
Mota
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis View Post
I'd also recommend, if you have the time/patience, to set individual tactics rather than just line tactics. Once you've played long enough/really set up the team to your liking then you can get away with line tactics a bit more (or so I've found), but early on, if you really want to get every last bit of performance out of a player, this is a good way to go.

That was huge for me. My teams always struggled until I went into each player one by one and told them to play up to their skillset. Lines change constantly and setting your tactics by line will cause people to play the wrong styles occasionally, but at the individual level you can get the best out of every player.
Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 10:13 PM   #659
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mota View Post
That was huge for me. My teams always struggled until I went into each player one by one and told them to play up to their skillset. Lines change constantly and setting your tactics by line will cause people to play the wrong styles occasionally, but at the individual level you can get the best out of every player.

So are you saying that using line tactics is a waste and to just use the individual ones? I have been using both types for many years....just curious what others have done.
Old 08-22-2010, 01:00 PM   #660
Mota
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
So are you saying that using line tactics is a waste and to just use the individual ones? I have been using both types for many years....just curious what others have done.

I also use both, but find that the players play to their strengths more when you give them the individual tactics.
Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 10:51 AM   #661
GMO78
n00b

Riz, who created EHM, is asking for help with AI trade exploitation.

"I'd be interested in hearing a bit more about the trade AI exploitations. ".

It's good that he's at least thinking about it a bit.

Go to http://community.sigames.com/showthr...53235-Ehm-2011
GMO78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 01:04 PM   #662
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMO78 View Post
Riz, who created EHM, is asking for help with AI trade exploitation.

"I'd be interested in hearing a bit more about the trade AI exploitations. ".

It's good that he's at least thinking about it a bit.

Go to http://community.sigames.com/showthr...53235-Ehm-2011

Is he working on a project for EHM or something? This post is a bit vague, and you have to log in upon clicking on that link.
Old 11-27-2010, 02:51 PM   #663
GMO78
n00b

I don't want misquote anyone so here is what Riz wrote:

"Taking any of the actual current FM engines would mean a complete rewrite of the EHM 2007, so I don't see that happening ever. Also, 3D would be totally out of the question as any hockey project with a 3D would have to compete visually against some top notch graphics from the action/arcade hockey games and it would require a pretty big team of animators and artists to get it even to the earlier FM levels of detail. I'd personally be more than happy with an updated 2D with maybe a higher frame rate and a substantially upgraded AI

And yes, a powerful DB editor along with a competition editor would also be a must for any future EHM project imho. "

and as for when/if an updated EHM might be ready:

"Like I've been saying all along... I wouldn't hold my breath just now. I've just been digging around the old code a bit lately and playing the game as I've been listening to some Rangers games "

and also

"I'd be interested in hearing a bit more about the trade AI exploitations. Any examples or links to previous discussions about these issues are welcome ".
GMO78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 02:53 PM   #664
PilotMan
Head Coach

You know, EHM is the one game that has escaped my collection. It's too bad that they stopped making it. Is it still considered the best career sim out there?

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 04:52 PM   #665
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMO78 View Post
I don't want misquote anyone so here is what Riz wrote:

"Taking any of the actual current FM engines would mean a complete rewrite of the EHM 2007, so I don't see that happening ever. Also, 3D would be totally out of the question as any hockey project with a 3D would have to compete visually against some top notch graphics from the action/arcade hockey games and it would require a pretty big team of animators and artists to get it even to the earlier FM levels of detail. I'd personally be more than happy with an updated 2D with maybe a higher frame rate and a substantially upgraded AI

And yes, a powerful DB editor along with a competition editor would also be a must for any future EHM project imho. "

and as for when/if an updated EHM might be ready:

"Like I've been saying all along... I wouldn't hold my breath just now. I've just been digging around the old code a bit lately and playing the game as I've been listening to some Rangers games "

and also

"I'd be interested in hearing a bit more about the trade AI exploitations. Any examples or links to previous discussions about these issues are welcome ".

Well according the above it doesn't look like there will be anything to report for a new EHM then. I still have my fingers crossed though, as I still love that game.

I also see you posted the same question on the Blue Line board, but in case you didn't see it, here is an entire thread over there dedicated to EHM trades.
Old 11-27-2010, 06:57 PM   #666
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

For the lifeof me I still can't get into the game. I keep losing any sense of reality when I start playing as each attempt has yielded games averaging over 100 shots on goal per game. Is there some setting when I start a game that I am messing up?

Tried again not too long ago and one of my first games was a 14-1 victory where my team outshot our opponents 86-22. Either I should be immediately hired as an NHL coach or I am doing something wrong setting up the game.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 07:36 PM   #667
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
For the lifeof me I still can't get into the game. I keep losing any sense of reality when I start playing as each attempt has yielded games averaging over 100 shots on goal per game. Is there some setting when I start a game that I am messing up?

Tried again not too long ago and one of my first games was a 14-1 victory where my team outshot our opponents 86-22. Either I should be immediately hired as an NHL coach or I am doing something wrong setting up the game.

Interesting shot totals. I actually adjust the settings for both individual players and each line and tend to get pretty realistic results. Make sure you are putting guys together that should be together (i.e., don't put a fighter with two goal scorers, etc..). Also, make sure you are using the latest database (3.0.4).

I love EHM, but I really wish a new one would be made. Damn you SI Games.
Old 11-27-2010, 07:37 PM   #668
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

dola

Preseason games tend to have ridiculous shots/goals as well, so if you are still playing preseason games, give it a longer try and finish a season or two. You should get more realism at that point.
Old 11-27-2010, 07:39 PM   #669
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Interesting shot totals. I actually adjust the settings for both individual players and each line and tend to get pretty realistic results. Make sure you are putting guys together that should be together (i.e., don't put a fighter with two goal scorers, etc..). Also, make sure you are using the latest database (3.0.4).

I love EHM, but I really wish a new one would be made. Damn you SI Games.

Can't blame SI. Blame all the assholes in the Scandinavian countries who pirated the game so that it wasn't commercially viable for SI to make anymore
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 07:42 PM   #670
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
Can't blame SI. Blame all the assholes in the Scandinavian countries who pirated the game so that it wasn't commercially viable for SI to make anymore

I realize that was part of the problem, but I don't believe that was as big a problem as SI would have you believe. I think more of the problem was that SI failed to promote the game in the first place, and text sims being the niche game that they are, you need to promote the hell out of them. I had never even heard of it until I started looking online for hockey games one day, waaaay back in 2005.
Old 11-27-2010, 08:35 PM   #671
bhlloy
Coordinator

I kinda have the same issue as EF, 2007 was clearly made for a post-lockout NHL and the goals/game and shots/game average is way, way to high for a realistic sim game. I've never seen 14-1 but it's very normal to see 7-4 games with each team having 50+ shots, at least for me. That and the fact that average rating is almost exclusively tied to points (you can have the best shut down line in the game but if they aren't scoring they'll only rate at about 6 per game) makes it very hard for me to get into in terms of realism. Which is a shame, because the GM parts of the game are second to none. Nobody has done scouting and development better and trade/FA AI is excellent.

If there was just a 2008 version that made the on ice product more like the real life NHL and Riz rethought his approach to average rating/how much defensive players actually mean to a hockey team, that would be up there with FM as an almost perfect sim game.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 12:15 AM   #672
Mike Lowe
College Prospect

What's always kept me from getting this game (or just into it)

1) Can't change the start date making updated rosters seem goofy.

2) The recycling of retired players into the draft pool the very next year...or least that's my understanding of it.
Mike Lowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 12:26 AM   #673
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lowe View Post
What's always kept me from getting this game (or just into it)

1) Can't change the start date making updated rosters seem goofy.

I have always found this annoying as well....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lowe
2) The recycling of retired players into the draft pool the very next year...or least that's my understanding of it.

From what I have seen/read/heard/witnessed, it often takes 2-4 years for some of the retired veterans to be recycled. The first year you play is the only one that recycles players more quickly.
Old 11-28-2010, 01:22 AM   #674
Travis
Pro Rookie

The retirement recycle pattern all depends on where they are from. I can't remember which was faster but I believe North American players got back through the system in 2-4 years while European players took 3-6 years or something like that due to the development systems used. So I suppose technically they do come back a year later, but it's as a young player, not a NHL draft eligible player. So depending on what level you're controlling your team at would affect how long until you see the regens.
Old 07-27-2012, 01:55 PM   #675
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Anyone still playing? I see there is a "try and buy" link over at The Blue Line. Someone has updated rosters too..
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 02:22 PM   #676
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
Anyone still playing? I see there is a "try and buy" link over at The Blue Line. Someone has updated rosters too..

I haven't played it in years, no.

In order to play the game any length of time you need to use the editor and go in and fix the salary cap and team budgets, because the cap and budgets stay completely flat, whereas player's expectations seem to grow.

So, if those adjustments aren't made you have a bunch of star players sitting out as UFAs because they demand big deals and no one has the cap space to fit them in.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 07-27-2012, 02:49 PM   #677
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I haven't played it in years, no.

In order to play the game any length of time you need to use the editor and go in and fix the salary cap and team budgets, because the cap and budgets stay completely flat, whereas player's expectations seem to grow.

So, if those adjustments aren't made you have a bunch of star players sitting out as UFAs because they demand big deals and no one has the cap space to fit them in.

Thanks.. what about the freeware version - the original EHM? I remember playing that for a good stretch and it also has updated rosters and what not.
Old 07-27-2012, 02:53 PM   #678
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Wow...thinking about EHM the other day.

I haven't played FOFC in at least 2 years...and EHM longer. And I was thinking about getting back into something. But the #1 reason is as HB says - I don't have the patience to make these updates just so I can start playing. By the time I finish the behind the scenes to make it playable, I think I'd be burnt out.
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 02:56 PM   #679
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Thanks.. what about the freeware version - the original EHM? I remember playing that for a good stretch and it also has updated rosters and what not.

I haven't played the original freeware version in ages. Since before EHM 2005 came out.
Old 07-27-2012, 03:46 PM   #680
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I haven't played the original freeware version in ages. Since before EHM 2005 came out.

Me either.. but I might fire it up since it's out there still.
Old 08-02-2012, 07:53 PM   #681
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Action! PC Hockey 2012 is releasing 8/9

I really wish this was a career sim.. I still might pick it up.

Action! PC Hockey

This is pretty cool:
Quote:
New Alternate Reality Mode! Alternate reality mode brings a new level of strategic depth and variety to Action PC Hockey. In alternate reality mode, results are driven by ratings, which are hidden from the user, rather than by raw statistics. These ratings are based on real statistics, but with some random variation. Ratings are generated each time a new season is started. This leads to more realistic coaching and general manager decisions. Coaches might consider giving backups more playing time based on their season performance during the season replay. In other modes of play, coaches only need to play backups in the event of injury, fatigue, or over-usage because they know the starter is always the better player.

Last edited by MizzouRah : 08-02-2012 at 07:54 PM.
Old 08-02-2012, 08:09 PM   #682
SlyBelle1
High School Varsity

Quote:
Action! PC Hockey 2012 is releasing 8/9

I really wish this was a career sim.. I still might pick it up.

Action! PC Hockey

This is pretty cool: [/size][/font][/color]
[/color][/font]

This is the third release of the game and it gets better and better. It is a great game and I highly recommend it. Also, if your not sure about it, the developer actually offers a 30-day money back no questions asked return policy. Therefore, zero risk in trying it out. I think it is the best text hockey game out there. Yes, it does not have career built in, but still very fun to play a ton of seasons.
SlyBelle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 08:21 PM   #683
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlyBelle1 View Post
This is the third release of the game and it gets better and better. It is a great game and I highly recommend it. Also, if your not sure about it, the developer actually offers a 30-day money back no questions asked return policy. Therefore, zero risk in trying it out. I think it is the best text hockey game out there. Yes, it does not have career built in, but still very fun to play a ton of seasons.

I'm sure I'll give it a go.. there is a 10% discount for early orders. Looks like I need to make $40 in OT this week.
Old 08-02-2012, 08:22 PM   #684
SlyBelle1
High School Varsity

And in case anybody wasn't aware, new career sim hockey game coming from OOTP later this year....

WTHM - General Discussions - OOTP Developments Forums
Old 08-02-2012, 08:23 PM   #685
SlyBelle1
High School Varsity

Quote:
I'm sure I'll give it a go.. there is a 10% discount for early orders. Looks like I need to make $40 in OT this week.

You won't regret it Very good text sim of hockey.
Old 08-02-2012, 08:28 PM   #686
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

what the hell man
Old 08-02-2012, 08:33 PM   #687
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlyBelle1 View Post
You won't regret it Very good text sim of hockey.

Thanks!
Old 08-04-2012, 10:39 AM   #688
Icy
Pro Starter

There is also GM hockey, really good sim and a new version is coming out soon:

We have been working for more than a year on our new GM Hockey game, called GM Hockey Legacy. It is scheduled to come out just before the beginning of the new hockey season (September 2012). You will be able to start a dynasty anywhere between 1980 and 2012, create your own team and much more. Stay tuned.

http://www.lesims.net/?lang=eng

OT: I see they are also working on a football game... interesting...

Last edited by Icy : 08-04-2012 at 10:41 AM.
Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 02:51 PM   #689
bhlloy
Coordinator

I have to admit I have never heard of that game Icy, very interesting. How the AI?
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 05:13 PM   #691
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy View Post
There is also GM hockey, really good sim and a new version is coming out soon:

We have been working for more than a year on our new GM Hockey game, called GM Hockey Legacy. It is scheduled to come out just before the beginning of the new hockey season (September 2012). You will be able to start a dynasty anywhere between 1980 and 2012, create your own team and much more. Stay tuned.

http://www.lesims.net/?lang=eng

OT: I see they are also working on a football game... interesting...

I had version 09 and it was kind of an odd game. Very nice guy who programmed the game, but I just couldn't get into it.

I think I'm going to save the 10% and get the Action! PC hockey 2012 game today, even though it's a replay sim, just playing out each game should be fun.
Old 08-05-2012, 07:08 PM   #692
SlyBelle1
High School Varsity

Quote:
I had version 09 and it was kind of an odd game. Very nice guy who programmed the game, but I just couldn't get into it.

I think I'm going to save the 10% and get the Action! PC hockey 2012 game today, even though it's a replay sim, just playing out each game should be fun.

I don't think you'll regret it and for a decent price too! There is a new alternative reality mode that will give some varability in a season so things don't necessarily have to play out like real life. Just missing the career things that carry over from season to season. I'll be interested to hear your feedback. Just remember, it is a text game, not a graphics game by any means, but still captures the spirity for me.

If you have questions, post them at the forums:

Hockey Forum
Old 10-08-2014, 02:04 AM   #693
Mike Lowe
College Prospect

Is it even possible to purchased EHM 2007 still? I'm not sure how to even go about getting a license...bummed!
Old 10-08-2014, 02:27 AM   #694
riz
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lowe View Post
Is it even possible to purchased EHM 2007 still? I'm not sure how to even go about getting a license...bummed!

Technically it hasn't been on sale anymore for a number of years now. As Miles mentioned in the FM15 Q&A last night, some licensing deals require us to pull games from being sold after a certain period of time as the license runs out.

This same affected the NHL EHM releases and even if we wanted to keep on selling it, we couldn't do so because of legal rammifications. So in a way it is a catch-22 with the licenses. Technically you'd want to have them for authenticity but they will hinder the shelf-life of the product.

So probably the ideal method of release for any future EHM (in my personal opinion) would have to be fictional players/teams in the official release with easy support to import any community-made rosters.

Incidentally, the EHM Blueline community will be releasing their 2014 roster set for NHL EHM 2007 sometime soon and they also have made an unofficial patch over these years that allows you to start the game with a more current start date. Just in case anyone is interested (links are for the latest 2013/14 season updates):

Roster Updates • EHM The Blue Line
Custom Start Date Patch v1.5 (With Retro Launcher) • EHM The Blue Line

Sorry for the bump to anyone who expected some other kind of news
riz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 02:42 AM   #695
Mike Lowe
College Prospect

Thanks, Riz.

So even if I came across a license somehow, it won't work? Is there something over at TBL that will allow me to play the full game beyond the trial?

Might not matter, because as it stands I can't get past this error in starting up the trial, post-patch:

"No restrictions - at least one of the days, executions or hours must be restricted 15"
Old 10-08-2014, 03:10 AM   #696
riz
SI Games

There are still some boxed copies of the game floating around in some shops and online, but you cannot buy new eLicenses anymore afaik.

I don't think the TBL start date patches can be applied to the trial version but it might be worth asking on their forums as they have had a lot of people succesfully join the community after the game officially went off the shelves.
Old 10-12-2014, 07:07 AM   #697
riz
SI Games

TBL 2014 rosters are out now !

[2014-15] TBL Rosters v7.0 • EHM The Blue Line