Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-28-2008, 12:22 PM   #651
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

According to the bottom crawl on ESPNEWS, Pacman has been reinstated.

Fire Ron Lee.
TazFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 02:50 PM   #652
B & B
College Benchwarmer

Location: A sports era long ago when everything didnt require a Nike logo
Next week: Jerry Jones crawfished Devil on Pac-Man deal, sells soul on EBAY to Oprah.
Old 08-28-2008, 02:54 PM   #653
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

sweet, I drafted Dallas' defense pretty early anticipating this.
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 12:15 AM   #654
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

It was cut down weekend baby. I guess the "big" cuts came from Cincy, but I don't care about those much.

Green Bay cut...

Quote:
Released Saturday were wide receiver Jake Allen, cornerback Scorpio Babers, defensive tackle Conrad Bolston, center Brennen Carvalho, safety Tyrone Culver, linebacker Spencer Havner, tight end Joey Haynos, running back Noah Herron, guard Ryan Keenan, linebacker Danny Lansanah, defensive tackle Alfred Malone, running back Vernand Morency, defensive tackle Daniel Muir, cornerback Joe Porter, wide receiver Johnny Quinn, wide receiver Taj Smith, wide receiver Brett Swain, tackle Orrin Thompson and fullback Corey White.

Defensive tackle Rodney Allen, center Junius Coston and long snapper J.J. Jansen were placed on injured reserve.

So looking at the list I am a little disappointed to see a couple names. I always seem to become fans of Packer RBs for some reason, so Noah Herron and Vernand Morency kind of suck. On the upside, that means Kregg Lumpkin made the roster, and I love the name Lumpkin so much I wanted the undrafted rookie FA to make the team. The big surprise was the talk was two would stay between the 3 guys, giving the Packers 4 RBs. Nope. The other good side is that the Packers kept all 7 of their LBs, when talk was at least one would go. I like all 7 and didn't want to see any get cut.

As for others, just not enough spots I guess. 7th round pick WR Brett Swain had the odds stacked against him, as did WR Jake Allen. TE Joey Haynos is huge at 6'8", so he actually took up too much room on the plane I think. S Tyrone Culver I thought had a chance, but I guess Peprah has looked pretty good going into his 3rd year.

Now I guess we see who gets signed to the practice squad, and if any trades happen this week.....

Last edited by Cringer : 08-31-2008 at 12:23 AM.
Cringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 01:00 AM   #655
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

The Colts cut both Quinn Gray and the Pillsbury Throwboy. I hope this means they are confident that Manning has fully recovered from his injury.
Greyroofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 01:38 AM   #656
Izulde
Head Coach

I didn't see it posted here, so I'll mention that the Dolphins shipped McCown off to the Panthers for a 7th round pick. At least it's getting something for him.

Miami Dolphins Cuts
FB Regan Mauia (who I've actually gotten to like in Head Coach '09)
TE Justin Peelle
RB Lex Hilliard (likely practice squad)
LB Edmond Miles
S Courtney Bryan
LB Junior Glymph
WR Jayson Foster
LB Kelly Poppinga
LB Maurice Fountain
LB Titus Brown
TE Matt Mulligan
DT Anthony Toribio
CB Will Billingsley
C Mike Byrne
C Matt Spanos
T Daren Heerspink
T Pedro Sosa

Likely Practice Squad Members (According to SF Sentinel Online)
Hilliard
Foster
Billingsley
Miles
Brown
Sosa

Nice to see Hawaii WR Davone Bess made the team, though I had to chuckle at the article's omment that Boomer Grigsby, the FB who beat out Mauia, is a better receiver than the Juggernaut.

It's like, gee, no kidding?

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 01:40 AM   #657
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

The Dolphins cut Kelly Poppinga? That sucks. I love Brady Poppinga on the Packers. I hope his little brother makes a team somewhere.
Old 08-31-2008, 02:06 AM   #658
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Crap, I forgot the Packers still need to bring in a long snapper. One of the LBs may get cut for a stinkin' long snapper. Other candidates to be cut are T Gianocomo (rookie 6th rd pick) or S Peprah.
Old 08-31-2008, 03:20 AM   #659
rjolley
College Starter

Nice to see Xavier Omon, RB from my alma mater Northwest Missouri State, made the Buffalo Bills. Guess I'll watch Bills games when the Bears aren't on to see how he's doing.
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 04:03 AM   #660
Northwood_DK
College Benchwarmer

Other players cut worth a mention is

QB Chris Simms (TBY)

WR Ashley Lelie (SFO)
Northwood_DK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 05:12 AM   #661
JeeberD
General Manager

Really surprised that the Cowboys cut both WR Mike Jefferson and Danny Amendola. That leaves just TO and Patrick Crayton healthy for the Brownies game. Guess we'll see lots of TEs going wide?

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 06:24 AM   #662
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Your Week 1 QB matchup in San Francisco: Kurt Warner vs. JT O'Sullivan

Unbelievable.
Old 08-31-2008, 08:10 AM   #663
flounder
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD View Post
Really surprised that the Cowboys cut both WR Mike Jefferson and Danny Amendola. That leaves just TO and Patrick Crayton healthy for the Brownies game. Guess we'll see lots of TEs going wide?

They've got like 11 linemen and 12 DBs so I think the final roster isn't set. They're probably going to deal for a WR or pick someone like Lelie up from waivers.
flounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 10:10 AM   #664
Thomkal
Head Coach

My beloved Cards have named Warner as the starting QB. Sigh, how the hell do you expect Leinart to develop if he sits on the bench?

Warner to start ahead of Leinart for Cardinals
Thomkal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 10:26 AM   #665
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlifornia View Post
Your Week 1 QB matchup in San Francisco: Kurt Warner vs. JT O'Sullivan

Unbelievable.

Must see TV imo

Despite knowing in my head that the Dolphins lack talent in a number of key areas I can't stop myself from looking at their schedule to begin the season and thinking they could start 3-4 or 4-3. Favre v. Pennington week one will be fun.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 10:27 AM   #666
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
My beloved Cards have named Warner as the starting QB. Sigh, how the hell do you expect Leinart to develop if he sits on the bench?

Warner to start ahead of Leinart for Cardinals

How the hell do you expect to win games if Leinart doesn't sit the bench?
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 10:57 AM   #667
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
How the hell do you expect to win games if Leinart doesn't sit the bench?

Kurt Warner is not going to be around forever. At some point you have to make the move to Leinart to see if he can win games for you. The better move in my opinion would have been to start Leinart. If he struggles, you bring in Warner.

I'm thinking that Warner throwing for almost 500 yards against SF in their last game probably had something to do with this decision though.
Thomkal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 12:48 PM   #668
molson
General Manager

Matt Cassel is still the Pats backup, even though he's been awful every time he's ever been on an NFL field, he hasn't started a game at QB since high school, and Tom Brady didn't play a single snap in the preseason.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 08:03 PM   #669
rjolley
College Starter

In a surprise roster cut, the Patriots cut John Lynch.
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 08:10 PM   #670
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

I guess there is a point where slow outweighs experienced.
Old 08-31-2008, 11:10 PM   #671
SFL Cat
College Starter

Leinart is certainly a well-paid backup.

Last edited by SFL Cat : 08-31-2008 at 11:11 PM.
SFL Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 11:59 PM   #672
miami_fan
Coordinator

It has been interesting to see how teams are handling their QB situations this year. It is a given that all the situations are different. However, the debate between starting a young QB prospect and letting him take his lumps or starting a older QB for the chance of winning a game or two more is facinating to watch.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 12:21 AM   #673
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
It has been interesting to see how teams are handling their QB situations this year. It is a given that all the situations are different. However, the debate between starting a young QB prospect and letting him take his lumps or starting a older QB for the chance of winning a game or two more is facinating to watch.

Indeed. I honestly don't think NFL coaches have any idea which strategy works best, and it seems to me that a lot are opting for the more cautious route.
Old 09-01-2008, 12:32 AM   #674
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Packers brought back DeShawn Wynn to be on the practice squad, a young RB I like when he is healthy...also....
Quote:
Thompson also brought back receiver Jake Allen, center Brennen Carvalho, tight end Joey Haynos, linebacker Danny Lansanah, defensive tackle Alfred Malone, cornerback Joe Porter and receiver Brett Swain.

I have to say I am pretty happy with those selections. Allen and Swain might be able to become something, same with Haynos.

Besides that whole QB thing it is hard for me to really hate GM Thompson as much as I would like.
Old 09-01-2008, 01:02 AM   #675
Arles
Grey Dog Software

I agree on the Wynn, Swain and Haynos guys. Any word on whether GB will bring in a vet backup? I can't imagine Brohm's preseason is giving people confidence for the season.
Old 09-01-2008, 10:16 AM   #676
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

Lynch will probably be brought back for the Pats.. they were trying to avoid his veteran roster bonus by releasing him and resigning him after the season starts I think.

FUCK EA
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 11:29 PM   #677
Jas_lov
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles View Post
I agree on the Wynn, Swain and Haynos guys. Any word on whether GB will bring in a vet backup? I can't imagine Brohm's preseason is giving people confidence for the season.

Word is that Matt Flynn will be the backup and Bryan Brohm will be the #3. I said it before and I'll say it again, God help us all if Aaron Rodgers goes down.

I agree on the moves to bring those guys back but I question the move to cut Jon Ryan and sign Derrick Frost. Ryan was a decent punter and this Frost guy has worse numbers. I don't know if it's an injury issue or what but it just seemed strange. And I actually agree with letting Abdul Hodge go even though I've been watching him since he was at Iowa. Hodge has been injury riddled and the other backup LBs they have are more valuable so there just wasn't room, but cutting Jon Ryan was a little strange to me.
Jas_lov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 11:34 PM   #678
Arles
Grey Dog Software

From what I read they liked Bishop's upside more and he is better on ST than Hodge. As to Ryan, the word is his release was real slow in the preseason and he's never been a great directional punter. Supposedly, the GB brass felt Frost had a quicker release and is much better on directional kicks (something important when you play the Chicago Hesters twice a season).

I don't agree at all with the Flynn move. We better put Rodgers in a padded room everyday and pray he doesn't get hurt.
Old 09-01-2008, 11:43 PM   #679
Jas_lov
College Starter

Yeah, it looks like Frost is the better directional punter and getting it inside the 20 more often. Ryan was inconsistent at times but I thought he was decent. The move also takes away Ryan as a holder so hopefully that doesn't cause any problems for Crosby. The move just came as a surprise to me.

Flynn did play better in the preseason than Brohm, but who didn't? I feel good about the team with Rodgers at QB, but if he gets hurt it's gonna get ugly.
Jas_lov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 08:27 AM   #680
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

I won't get upset about the punter change, it's, well, the punter. Still I liked Jon Ryan, the workout kind of punters. His run for 33 yards in the last preseason game was great to watch too.

I see Arles said that what he read it was between Hodge and Bishop at LB. From Packers.com this monring they make it seem like White got the to stay over Hodge because he is a special teams player. I don't like to see Hodge go, but the injuries have been a problem. Just another one of those guy I liked and wanted to see improve.
Old 09-02-2008, 09:01 AM   #681
Arles
Grey Dog Software

White's easily their best special teams player (and it's not really that close). He was never on the bubble, IMO.
Old 09-02-2008, 09:07 AM   #682
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

I'm sad to see Jon Ryan get cut, he is a good Canadian kid who kicked some serious ass for the Blue and Gold before joining the Packers. I'm sure he'll catch on somewhere in the NFL, but if he doesn't I hope he returns to Winnipeg since we need all the help we can get.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 09:23 AM   #683
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
I'm sad to see Jon Ryan get cut, he is a good Canadian kid who kicked some serious ass for the Blue and Gold before joining the Packers. I'm sure he'll catch on somewhere in the NFL, but if he doesn't I hope he returns to Winnipeg since we need all the help we can get.

What do you think of Charles Roberts being traded? I don't know much about CFL players, but I know Roberts seemed to be awesome and very popular, so I'm confused.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 09:49 AM   #684
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Lions cut Tatum Bell last night to make way for Rudi Johnson. At this point it was a good move, and I hate Rudi, but wow do I hate Bell more. At least Rudi provides a solid between the tackles alternative for Kevin Smith. Also, they signed UTEP RB Marcus Thomas, a 5th round pick this year, to a five year deal.

Our running game now consists of three rookies (Smith, Thomas and FB Felton) and Rudi Johnson.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 09:55 AM   #685
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I'm guessing this may screw over those who drafted Smith in their fantasy drafts (though not me, woot!)
Old 09-02-2008, 10:03 AM   #686
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
I'm guessing this may screw over those who drafted Smith in their fantasy drafts (though not me, woot!)

Smith is still the starter but Rudi will see 10-15 carries a game, so it potentially could, but Detroit wants to run 30 - 40 times a game so the carries ought to be there.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 10:09 AM   #687
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

I drafted Smith late so I'm not too worried. I think this move only makes it so Rudi gets the rest carries for Smith instead of Bell. I don't think it is going to affect Smith's carries at all. Besides, Rudi does suck.
Chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 10:57 AM   #688
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
What do you think of Charles Roberts being traded? I don't know much about CFL players, but I know Roberts seemed to be awesome and very popular, so I'm confused.

I'm undecided on the move myself. Roberts has been a great back for years, but obviously his numbers this year have been terrible. It's quite possible that age has caught up with him, and since he has always succeeded on speed and elusiveness it wouldn't be entirely hard to believe that simply losing one step might cause such a decline.

That said, I don't have much faith in Berry at this point, and I don't really feel that he's made a good use of Roberts either. Maybe that's because there isn't much left to use, but I'm not so sure.

The only way to really know is to see how Roberts performs now that he has moved on. If Berry was right, then the trade was a decent move (although who knows what we got back in return, as Joe Smith hasn't been his old self this year either).

Bottom line is that the Bombers are absolutely terrible, so it doesn't really matter. Blink's best days are behind him for sure, so by the time the rest of the team becomes relevant again he likely wouldn't have been a part of it anyways.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 11:04 AM   #689
Anthony
Banned

i have Kevin Smith on my team, but more to be a bye week RB. i currently have him starting alongside Westbrook, but that's only because i don't know how the Dolphins plan on using Ricky Williams/Ronnie Brown (i have both) just yet. i also have Matt Forte as another starting RB on my bench, but i think defenses will be stacking 10 guys in the box early on until the Bears show they can pass (which they can't). i watched the last Bears preseason game and Forte caught a screen for a 1st down when it was a long 3rd and 17. perhaps he'll be good for catching passes. but anyway, it sucks that Smith is gonna have some carries stolen from him, but not like every starting RB doesn't lose about 10 carries to the backup. and initially Chester Taylor was supposed to be the main guy in Minnesota and rookie Adrian Peterson was going to be brought along slowly, and look how that turned out for Chester Taylor. i'm looking real good RB-wise. i just need more info as to how guys will be utilized in games.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 11:25 AM   #690
Warhammer
Pro Starter

I'm thinking that the Cardinals have basically given up on Leinart.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 07:35 PM   #691
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
As a post-script to the Cedric Benson saga, the Grand Jury no-billed both the boating and driving charges against him, meaning they didn't think there was enough there to bring the cases to trial.

statesman.com
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 09:30 AM   #692
B & B
College Benchwarmer

Location: A sports era long ago when everything didnt require a Nike logo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubby View Post
I drafted Smith late so I'm not too worried. I think this move only makes it so Rudi gets the rest carries for Smith instead of Bell. I don't think it is going to affect Smith's carries at all. Besides, Rudi does suck.

Wow. 2 1/2 weeks later and hes the bonafide starter, while Smith got 3 attempts last week. Now with Millen gone - who knows?