Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-14-2012, 08:51 PM   #651
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

19 yrs ago 2day, David Volek of the #Islanders stunned the #Penguins w/ a 2nd Rnd Game 7 OT goal & this happened. OUCH! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=167X7PjO6oo
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 08:52 PM   #652
B & B
College Benchwarmer

Location: A sports era long ago when everything didnt require a Nike logo
Come on devils, win this one for Pumpy
Old 05-14-2012, 08:54 PM   #653
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajaxab View Post
Fidatelo, what's the vibe in Winnipeg? Have people completely divorced themselves from all things Coyotes with the Jets being back or does the city still have a place in their hearts for Phoenix? I would imagine they're all pulling for Doan, but wondered if there is anything more than that.

I don't know that there is really a single vibe. I think the idea that we all pull for Doan is a bit of a myth. He only played one season here, and was just a rookie that didn't really have much of an impact. Selanne is our guy, there isn't a single person in this city who doesn't smile every time Teemu has success.

As for the Coyotes in general, there are certainly some fans that are cheering them on, but I'd say it's a minority. The largest group is of people that hate/resent all things Coyotes, and want them to continue their history of futility until they eventually leave the desert. This has waned a fair amount with the return of the Jets, but the undercurrent is still there.

There is another group of people, mostly the under 25 crowd that don't really have many memories of the old Jets, and that just don't care. Or they were around for the original Jets, but they were the jaded fan type that saw them as losers who never did anything worthwhile anyways.

I was hardcore in the hate/resent camp until the Coyotes beat Chicago and I realised I just wasn't as upset as I had expected. Apparently getting a team back has moved me more towards ambivalent, although I still want the Kings to win that series. It just won't anger me the way I expected if Phoenix wins.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 08:56 PM   #654
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJack View Post
Washington? really?

Maybe it's not the same in the US, but it feels like Washington is on Fox every weekend here.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Old 05-14-2012, 09:02 PM   #655
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Sigh.
Old 05-14-2012, 09:15 PM   #656
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Sick stop by Marty. If the Devils come back to win this game look to that stop.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 09:51 PM   #657
Logan
Head Coach

Tough first two periods, but a fun third. Devils held to 4 SOG during the period, same as WAS had in Game 7. Pretty impressive.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 09:52 PM   #658
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Nice start to the series for the blueshirts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud
None of this shit is personal. It's the internet.
RomaGoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 10:01 PM   #659
BillyNYC
High School JV

As a Rangers fan, was very worried about their legs, coming off of Game 7 two nights earlier and all. Was pretty surprised that the Devils were the ones who were getting outhustled down the stretch.

Del Zotto's puck covering should've been a penalty, but hard to think it would've changed very much.

Nice start, but this should be a long series.

Will be nice to watch Hagelin/Kreider zooming around the next several years.
BillyNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 11:15 PM   #660
Grover
Pro Starter

Heh. At least he's regular.

FOFC Greatest Band Draft Runner Up
FOFC Movie Remake Draft Winner
FOFC Movie Comedy Draft Winner

Last edited by Grover : 05-14-2012 at 11:16 PM.
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 01:29 AM   #661
Ryan S
Quarterback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
As a Canadian the teams that seem like they are featured a lot regardless of their current talent level are:

Dallas
Pittsburgh
Green Bay
Washington

To me, the most egregious one is Dallas. Everything after that usually seems pretty much fair.

As a UK viewer, that list sounds about right. I would perhaps add the Miami Dolphins to the list (as the NFL started getting tv coverage in the UK at around the time Dan Marino's career started)
Ryan S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 05:20 AM   #662
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover View Post

I had to look at that picture 3 times.

I figured that the amazing thing in it was Tortorella was nearly smiling.
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 07:17 AM   #663
Logan
Head Coach

That entire press conference produced fantastic moments. Torts going off on a reporter's cell phone ringing during a question, and then after a (young, apparently) reporter asked a confusing 30 second question about Kreider he replied with "I have no clue what you're talking about. He was good though".
Old 05-15-2012, 07:33 AM   #664
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sak View Post
With all due respect the Malkin...Hank is the MVP.

I always have a tough time trying to differentiate this. Sheerly based on the position, all goaltenders are more important to their teams than any skater.

We both learned the hard way what happens when your goaltender underperforms. You could make the argument that Fleury and Bryz are more important to their teams success than Malkin or Giroux.
Old 05-15-2012, 07:48 AM   #665
Logan
Head Coach

I would go Malkin over Hank for MVP, FWIW. Hell no on Stamkos though.

As long as he gets his Vezina I'll be happy.
Old 05-15-2012, 09:11 AM   #666
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
I would go Malkin over Hank for MVP, FWIW. Hell no on Stamkos though.

As long as he gets his Vezina I'll be happy.

I have to agree. Malkin carried the Pens this year without Crosby. Without Malkin, the Pens don't even get close to the playoffs.

Quote:
Old 05-15-2012, 09:12 AM   #667
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover View Post

Man, twice in 20 minutes eh? Someone has been eating his raisin bran!

Quote:
Old 05-15-2012, 09:23 AM   #668
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sak View Post
19 yrs ago 2day, David Volek of the #Islanders stunned the #Penguins w/ a 2nd Rnd Game 7 OT goal & this happened. OUCH! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=167X7PjO6oo

I remember this. It sucked. That one hit ruined the career of one of the best power forwards in the league at the time to the point that he ended up at some hotel or something in St. Louis smoking crack with a crack whore. Depressing.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 11:55 AM   #669
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Interesting tidbit related back to the ratings discussion earlier

ROOT SPORTS' Ratings for Pittsburgh Penguins Broadcasts Lead Nation Ahead of All U.S.-Based NHL and NBA Teams - Pittsburgh Penguins - News

Quote:
ROOT SPORTS™, the exclusive rights holder of Pittsburgh Penguins regional telecasts, announced today that the network posted an 8.03 average House Hold rating for the 2011-2012 Penguins regular season. This marks the first season that ROOT SPORTS™ has posted the highest local ratings of any U.S.-based NHL and NBA teams. In addition, this is the 3rd consecutive season that ROOT SPORTS™ Penguins Broadcasts has posted the highest local ratings of any U.S.-based NHL team
Old 05-15-2012, 12:55 PM   #670
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm View Post

Well, that just means the Penguins are very strong in their own market. Whoda thunk it from a fanbase that is also religious about its football team.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 01:13 PM   #671
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Well, that just means the Penguins are very strong in their own market. Whoda thunk it from a fanbase that is also religious about its football team.

Still taking it as a good sign for the NHL, the so called 4th of the major sports, that at least one team is supported more than any NBA team. I wish there was a full list for both league to see how it all plots out.

And it doesn't hurt that Pens games and Steeler games rarely coincide.

I'm biased, but to me it's a bigger statement when Pittsburgh, Buffalo, etc are selling out the building/leading the league in TV ratings than NY or Chicago. Based on size, those cities should be selling out.
Old 05-15-2012, 02:20 PM   #672
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Still taking it as a good sign for the NHL, the so called 4th of the major sports, that at least one team is supported more than any NBA team. I wish there was a full list for both league to see how it all plots out.

And it doesn't hurt that Pens games and Steeler games rarely coincide.

I'm biased, but to me it's a bigger statement when Pittsburgh, Buffalo, etc are selling out the building/leading the league in TV ratings than NY or Chicago. Based on size, those cities should be selling out.

I believe there is not an NBA team in Pittsburgh currently right? So they really aren't competing against the NBA in this instance. I am all for the NHL increasing exposure but I am not sure this instance really demonstrates that effectively.

Quote:
Old 05-15-2012, 09:49 PM   #673
bhlloy
Coordinator

Fucking Shane Doan. If the NHL has any balls he is looking at Matt Cooke time
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 10:55 PM   #674
Warhammer
Pro Starter

I really hope the league comes down on some of the crap PHX was pulling throughout the game. The slash that Smith executed on Brown should result in something. I don't mind some chipping, but that was flagrant.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 11:24 PM   #675
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

The LA Kings will win the Stanley Cup, they are in a league of their own.. wow.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 11:30 PM   #676
bhlloy
Coordinator

Doan is easily in the 5 dirtiest players in the league. Because he wears the C and some people think he's a great example of an old time hockey player he gets a pass, but he's made some brutal hits over the years that have resulted in some nasty injuries. He will probably get a game but deserves way more

Agreed on Smith. The fact that resulted in no manpower advantage was bullshit.
Clear intent to injure but the refs didnt have the guts to make the call. Really the Coyotes should have been on a constant PK for the entire third period. Dirty, dirty, dirty. And I'm rooting for whoever is playing the Kings
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 11:32 PM   #677
Danny
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
And I'm rooting for whoever is playing the Kings

You got my day 1 vote in the next WW game we play in!
Danny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 11:58 PM   #678
MrBug708
Head Coach

Kings
KINGS
KINGS!!!
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 01:02 AM   #679
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post
You got my day 1 vote in the next WW game we play in!

Be careful, otherwise bhlloy and I will pair up to vote you out. Or I'll convince the village to lynch you.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 07:21 AM   #680
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
Doan is easily in the 5 dirtiest players in the league. Because he wears the C and some people think he's a great example of an old time hockey player he gets a pass, but he's made some brutal hits over the years that have resulted in some nasty injuries. He will probably get a game but deserves way more

Agreed on Smith. The fact that resulted in no manpower advantage was bullshit.
Clear intent to injure but the refs didnt have the guts to make the call. Really the Coyotes should have been on a constant PK for the entire third period. Dirty, dirty, dirty. And I'm rooting for whoever is playing the Kings

While I'll agree Doan has thrown his share of dirty hits in the past, I don't think this is on that list. Lewis turns as Doan commits to the hit.
Old 05-16-2012, 08:03 AM   #681
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
While I'll agree Doan has thrown his share of dirty hits in the past, I don't think this is on that list. Lewis turns as Doan commits to the hit.

Totally agree, I don't even think the Doan hit deserved a penalty, let alone any kind of suspension.

On the other hand, Morris and Hanzal should each be gone for a few games in my opinion. They were just trying to hurt guys.
Old 05-16-2012, 09:18 AM   #682
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
The LA Kings will win the Stanley Cup, they are in a league of their own.. wow.

I have to agree. I can't remember the last time I saw a team so much in sync, from goaltending to defense to scoring. Amazing.

Quote:
Old 05-16-2012, 10:37 AM   #683
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaGoth View Post
I have to agree. I can't remember the last time I saw a team so much in sync, from goaltending to defense to scoring. Amazing.

I remember when I saw it: earlier this winter when the Bruins won 19 straight or something.

Hockey is fickle; this amazing run the Kings are on could easily end just as quickly as it began. I also think the east is stronger than the west in general, so dominant play against the Blues and Coyotes may not be so easily continued against either the Rangers or Devils.
Old 05-16-2012, 10:38 AM   #684
RedKingGold
College Starter

The Kings are so good that RomaGoth just became a fan and bought a hat.

RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 01:21 PM   #685
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Agreed.. and they have won like 8 in a row on the road, nothing phases this team.... yet.... they are not only beating teams, they are dominating them.

Last edited by MizzouRah : 05-16-2012 at 01:21 PM.
Old 05-16-2012, 01:38 PM   #686
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
I remember when I saw it: earlier this winter when the Bruins won 19 straight or something.

Hockey is fickle; this amazing run the Kings are on could easily end just as quickly as it began. I also think the east is stronger than the west in general, so dominant play against the Blues and Coyotes may not be so easily continued against either the Rangers or Devils.

The Bruins...or remember when Washington started the year 7-0 or whatever? Or the Penguins for a 3 week stretch starting early March? All of those teams were the favorites to win. Only difference with LA is the timing.
Old 05-16-2012, 03:51 PM   #687
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedKingGold View Post
The Kings are so good that RomaGoth just became a fan and bought a hat.

Highly unlikely.

Quote:
Old 05-16-2012, 04:06 PM   #688
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Highly unlikely.

So you're saying there's a chance?!
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 04:27 PM   #689
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
So you're saying there's a chance?!

no chance

Quote:
Old 05-16-2012, 04:29 PM   #690
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
no chance

That's not what you said before!
Old 05-16-2012, 05:29 PM   #691
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Hope they can steal one tonight in NY.
Old 05-17-2012, 10:42 PM   #692
Arles
Grey Dog Software

I know that the Kings are better than the Coyotes, but the officiating in this series has been crazy slanted. The Coyotes were pretty much 1-for-1 with power play chances against both Chicago and Nashville. In the last 2 games, the Kings have had 13 power plays to Phoenix's 5. The Coyotes have also had 3 double minors (two of which should have only been 2 minutes) and 3 5 minutes (only the Hanzal hit was worthy of that). The Coyotes have been hit with 68 penalty minutes in the last 2 games (the Kings have 22 - just 4 total tonight). Just tonight, that 2-minute slashing call at the end and the "matching" minors when Doan got tackled on a breakaway were both ridiculous.

I know no one wants to see Phoenix in the Cup finals and the reality is they are almost certainly not good enough to make it. It just would be nice to see them get a fair shot in this LA series - but that didn't happen.

Last edited by Arles : 05-17-2012 at 10:43 PM.
Arles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 10:51 PM   #693
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Put a fork in the 'Yotes....they are done.

Quote:
Old 05-17-2012, 10:57 PM   #694
Danny
Head Coach

I had to miss tonights game but the officiating was not slanted for games 1 and 2. Yes two lf the yotes majors should not have been but m smorh should have got one and the game was over then anyway.
Danny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 10:57 PM   #695
MrBug708
Head Coach

Go Kings!
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 11:01 PM   #696
chadritt
High School Varsity

Id feel bad about the coyotes not getting the calls except for the fact their goalie shouldve been suspended.
chadritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 11:13 PM   #697
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:

The Devils needed seven to dispatch the Panthers, for Pete's sake. Unless the Kings cool off, New Jersey would have no chance in the Finals.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 01:44 AM   #698
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Don't forget their dominant play against the Canucks. Kings will win the cup, let me say that again.
Old 05-18-2012, 07:24 AM   #699
Warhammer
Pro Starter

The only horrible call I saw in the series was the one last night that Kopitar drew on the slash in the last few minutes of the game. Outside of that, most of the poor calls were from no-calls or not enough calls.

Ultimately, in this series PHX has only themselves to blame. They played without passion, and lost their composure. That's not a good combination.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 08:49 AM   #700
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
The Devils needed seven to dispatch the Panthers, for Pete's sake. Unless the Kings cool off, New Jersey would have no chance in the Finals.

But beat a much better Philly team in five. They were just getting their bearings. Not counting my chickens but...there are no gimmies in playoff hockey.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote