Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-21-2017, 02:34 PM   #7151
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
Actually the NJPW tag matches almost always are used as build to a bigger singles or blow off.

I'll note the exception to this: the "old-timers vs young lions" opener(s) for non-G1 shows. Those are purely for the live crowd once you've seen 'em a couple of times.
Old 08-21-2017, 02:37 PM   #7152
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by murrayyyyy View Post
1) Brock won the title so goodbye to seeing it defended. Okada has defended the title 7 times over the past 426 days. When he had the belt before he defended it 3 times over 280 days. Styles defended it once over 144 days.

The difference being that there are the NJPW champs are actually on the roster and are interesting. Lesnar could die a fucking fire tomorrow & it wouldn't matter if not for Heyman.

Quote:
2) WWE can't tell a story. What stories do NJPW write?

Uh, NJPW managed to make a stuffed animal more compelling than 90% of the WWE roster. If you're asking that question then, ya know, maybe they really just aren't for you.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 08-21-2017 at 02:37 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 03:10 PM   #7153
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Braun Strowman is a star. They need to build the company around him/Reigns.
Old 08-21-2017, 03:12 PM   #7154
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noop View Post
Braun Strowman is a star. They need to build the company around him/Reigns.

Well, you're half right (kinda)
Old 08-21-2017, 03:48 PM   #7155
RainMaker
General Manager

Just got around to Summerslam and it was OK. Did fastforward a couple matches I didn't care about (Cena/Corbin, Orton/Rusev, Natalya/Naomi. Damn Smackdown sucks).

The show was OK I guess. Nothing memorable which kind of sucks for the 2nd biggest PPV of the year. Usually every Summerslam has "that match" that defines it and this one didn't.

One other beef is they didn't build a fancy stage or even use pyro. I know money is tight and see them cutting back on TV with that stuff, but this is Summerslam. It didn't feel special at all and if you can't bother to put a little pyro in for Brock's entrance, you're letting everyone at home realize it's not important. The whole show just felt lazy.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 04:04 PM   #7156
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Well, you're half right (kinda)

You don't think Braun can be the next monster hell/next big thing for them? I thought he was built up very well and looked like a million bucks this match.

As for Reigns his biggest issue is the cookie cutter mold that Vince is trying to do with him. I do not mind him being the face of the company just wish they would let him turn heel before they give him that spot.
Old 08-21-2017, 04:40 PM   #7157
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noop View Post
You don't think Braun can be the next monster hell/next big thing for them? I thought he was built up very well and looked like a million bucks this match.

He was the half I was agreeing with
Old 08-21-2017, 08:24 PM   #7158
murrayyyyy
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
The difference being that there are the NJPW champs are actually on the roster and are interesting. Lesnar could die a fucking fire tomorrow & it wouldn't matter if not for Heyman.

Uh, NJPW managed to make a stuffed animal more compelling than 90% of the WWE roster. If you're asking that question then, ya know, maybe they really just aren't for you.

I think they made the wrong decision with the belt last night but Vince wants the free press with him talking smack to Jon Jones. Both belts are are on the wrong people right now unless Glorious has gets the NXT debut treatment and takes it off Jinder Tuesday to feud with Nakamura or Styles. If they want to run with Jinder for much longer, Smackdown rating will tank.

I can admit that Darryl wasn't my cup of tea. But then again, I like the Bucks while some others don't I can accept that Darryl isn't for everyone just as I can accept that not ever WWE character/feud is for everyone.
murrayyyyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 08:34 PM   #7159
Suicane75
Coordinator

I'm sorry man. I was acting like a jerk for no good reason. I read your post and it was like reading someone say they thought the Browns would win the Super Bowl and I had to correct them. I get way too worked up over current day WWE. I just hate the fact that it is what it is when I feel like it should be so much better. It's gotten to the point where I have to stifle myself when we get together to watch shows cause I know other people are having a good time and I just turn into a giant douche ragging on everything. It's literally the bond that brought myself and best friends together so I feel like I have to pay attention to it somewhat and that angers me, lol.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 09:26 PM   #7160
murrayyyyy
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
I'm sorry man. I was acting like a jerk for no good reason. I read your post and it was like reading someone say they thought the Browns would win the Super Bowl and I had to correct them. I get way too worked up over current day WWE. I just hate the fact that it is what it is when I feel like it should be so much better. It's gotten to the point where I have to stifle myself when we get together to watch shows cause I know other people are having a good time and I just turn into a giant douche ragging on everything. It's literally the bond that brought myself and best friends together so I feel like I have to pay attention to it somewhat and that angers me, lol.

If that was for me, it doesn't bother me. To be honest, I think not watching RAW/SD as of late has helped me like the PPVs more. I think this also helps fans of NJPW (not pointing a finger). They just came off G1 which is the best thing anyone does IMO. But after WK in January, it's personally hard for me to care about NJPW until the G1. I just think it's easy to compare the two products and say NJPW is 10000 times coming out of G1 when they are two different products.

You are calmer than most I've talked to. I spoke to people who tend to claim that every PPV that happens is now the worst PPV ever(until the next one). Even I texted someone after the preshow and said that I was already tired of watching it before the main show started. The PPV had horrible spots and things I wish they didn't do. There was no reason for Orton-Rusev to happen. Big Cass-Big Show was a snoozefest. If they had cut those matches out of the PPV I would have been happy.

The good from the PPV IMO. Usos-New Day was 4* or better. Same with Shield v Cesaro/Sheamus which I felt was 4* also. I think the 4 way title match was brilliant as Joe/Roman carried the match. Braun made the first 10 mins amazing and put him over even more. I just hate the end even though a guy on the stretch means he comes back to win 99.9% of the time. I wish they would have had Brock come back and lose. I was easily "sports entertained" even if it was just 4 guys hitting finishers for the first 15 mins of the match. Braun was allowed to destroy the champ multiple times which will hopefully pay off because he is more believable as a destroyer of men compared to Brock. If Brock lost, it would have been a 5* match but will probably end up 4.5 stars.

If I'm 100% honest, it's the first time I didn't hate either women's match(weren't great but if both got a 3* I'd be fine). Natalia's power match will do well for the SDW division but doesn't match up well with the glow. Natalia in strong style is what the women's division needed (until the news of someone breaking a collar bone at NXT happened). I can live with a face having the RAW women's title even if I'm not a fan of the Boss. It wasn't a usually botchfest involving Sasha and Bliss has been damaged goods ever since This is Bayley segment.

AJ-Owens match is predictable because this is how guest ref matches go. Even though they have wrestled 1000 times, they still put on a good match that is enjoyable. I doubt if it ends up with 4* because it followed the guest ref script. Wyatt-Balor needed more build but like i said, I felt it was one of Bray's best matches ever and I think Balor wrestles different with the paint because he is boring without paint or a club IMO. I think both guys came out looking better than they have over the previous 3 months.

The bad. Cena/Orton burial matches. Remove both and put New Day Usos match on the main card. Hardy's Mizterage match was in front of 10 people. I honestly walked away from the match and couldn't tell you who won or how. IC title is in a match 6 hours before the final match.

The ugly. Nakamura losing on a guy's finisher that he didn't even hit correctly after kicking out of 2 AA's the week before. Who wrote this shit? Cass-Show is what happens with two big guy who aren't quick or powerful. Then you put a cast on Show's hand so he can't use it. The big thing is a guy who can't wrestle putting baby oil on himself to slip out a cage that he's stuck his head out of multiple times to show he can get out? No thanks.

So I hated 5 of the 13 matches. I really enjoyed 5 matches. 3 matches (forgot the cruiser) were okay and considering I usually have zero desire to watch cruisers or women's matches, it was a plus for once.

Yes, Summerslam should be better but I also think there was enough good in the PPV that I shouldn't hear people saying they wasted 6 hours on the worst PPV of the year.
Old 08-21-2017, 09:28 PM   #7161
RainMaker
General Manager

I don't mind Brock holding the title but I still don't understand the Jinder thing. Nakamura is great and did his best but that was a pretty terrible match at Summerslam.

One of the problems with the brand split is everything is diluted. There should only be one women's belt and one tag belt.
Old 08-21-2017, 10:40 PM   #7162
Jon
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
I don't mind Brock holding the title but I still don't understand the Jinder thing. Nakamura is great and did his best but that was a pretty terrible match at Summerslam.

One of the problems with the brand split is everything is diluted. There should only be one women's belt and one tag belt.

I think they're keeping the belt on Jinder to capitalize on the India tour that's coming up soon.He's very popular in India and it's rumored they'll pull the babyface approach a la Bret Hart in India.
Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 03:06 AM   #7163
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Quote:

Dont hinder the Jinder. He is the greatest indian WWE Champion of all time.
Old 08-22-2017, 07:59 AM   #7164
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Quote:

Nakamura definitely isn't performing the way he was in Japan. Hopefully him and AJ get a chance to deliver a 5 star match at Wrestlemania with a 20 minute classic.
Old 08-22-2017, 08:20 AM   #7165
Suicane75
Coordinator

Yeah, that's one of my main gripes, but I get why he's taking it easy, why shouldn't he? They don't want him to be anything special, he can just chill, collect a paycheck and do the bare minimum. Hell, they did vignettes of him in NXT just chillin on the beach with his kids, surfing all day, and apparently that was pretty much how he spent almost every day. That year he spent down there was almost like a paid vacation.
Old 08-22-2017, 08:38 AM   #7166
murrayyyyy
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

And even with everything be diluted, you can still say "where has X been".

Harper, Rowan, Dolph, Kalisto, Sin Cara, Slater, Rhyno, Hawkins, Ryder, Mojo...

I mean some of those on the list had a title in 16 and haven't been seen in months on either show. I can't help but think we are coming up on a future endeavors list coming out soon with the cost cutting that has happened lately.
Old 08-24-2017, 09:04 AM   #7167
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Nakamura has been a giant steaming poop so far.
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 11:44 AM   #7168
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddzilla View Post
Nakamura has been a giant steaming poop so far.

Have a look at who he's worked since the call up. The opportunities to be much else are fairly limited. When you're working primarily against Ziggler (which is so-so) and Corbin (which is less than so-so) ...

Shinsuke Nakamura: Profile & Match Listing - Internet Wrestling Database (IWD)
Old 08-24-2017, 09:37 PM   #7169
RainMaker
General Manager

Looks like Asuka relinquished her NXT title and will be moving on to either Raw or Smackdown.
Old 08-24-2017, 09:52 PM   #7170
Flasch186
Coordinator

Quote:
Looks like Asuka relinquished her NXT title and will be moving on to either Raw or Smackdown.

His mic skills suck, his entrance once he gets halfway down the ramp sucks, his shaking of the hands suck... I jsut dont get wrasslin these days. My son watches it and loves it and Im in the background going WTF in the hell is going on. Braun is it for me along with the Miz.

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 03:13 AM   #7171
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flasch186 View Post
His mic skills suck, his entrance once he gets halfway down the ramp sucks, his shaking of the hands suck... I jsut dont get wrasslin these days. My son watches it and loves it and Im in the background going WTF in the hell is going on. Braun is it for me along with the Miz.

Think you quoted the wrong post there mang, I was like "Asuka doesn't talk well, that's true but... wait.. his?"
Old 08-25-2017, 03:15 AM   #7172
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

She suffered an injury in the match against Ember Moon and likely her next few weeks will be "Who will she sign with..".. It would work even better if you did bits with the women she faced saying "She'd be a great addition, but would I want to wrestle her again? Hell no. She's SCARY"
Old 08-25-2017, 08:57 AM   #7173
murrayyyyy
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Have a look at who he's worked since the call up. The opportunities to be much else are fairly limited. When you're working primarily against Ziggler (which is so-so) and Corbin (which is less than so-so) ...

Shinsuke Nakamura: Profile & Match Listing - Internet Wrestling Database (IWD)

I think part of it is the hype of him getting signed. It's like when your favorite MLB team signs a guy who has 450 career HRs and the fans are disappointed that he only hit 25 this year. Fans will complain because you paid big money for this hitter. Kinda like the Pujols situation. The WWE went out and signed this big star from Japan and then let him rot for 15 months in NXT.

I'm not sure he can go like he use to anymore. Since his NXT debut against Sami he seems to have gone downhill. You would think that the WWE would have put him in a program against Sami seeing how well their match went.
Old 08-25-2017, 09:36 AM   #7174
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I'm not sure he can go like he use to anymore.

I think that's fair, or at least not like he used to as often. He's 37, but it feels like a "hard" 37.

Like a lot of the acquired talent, he's arrived in WWE after his prime, I think that's extremely fair to say.
Old 08-26-2017, 11:16 AM   #7175
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Yeah, but since his best asset is his entrance, he's basically Enzo Amore in leather.
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 05:28 PM   #7176
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Interesting tidbit from my kid, who is at his first Raw tonight in Memphis:
no Samoa Joe merch in the house ... which is interesting since he's spoilered to be in the main event (or the 10p main at least). You'd think you could sell some merch like that huh.

Only non-Raw merch on the tables is AJ. And the best-selling item being carried around in the early crowd? The MiTB briefcases ($75 a pop).

But thought the Joe thing was interesting, he'll main the show but we ain't gonna put out merch, something to remember IMO next time we hear merch numbers and analysis of who sells what.
Old 08-28-2017, 09:08 PM   #7177
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Cena tried to get as much -- anything -- out of Reigns as possible.

And the poor bastard still can't remember his lines. He was actually almost barely passable on the mic when he got off script ... and then lost his place again.
Old 08-28-2017, 09:16 PM   #7178
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Side note from the kid: local promotion all week was for Cena vs Joe and Reigns vs Strauman.

The Joe vs Cena sold my kid a ticket ... and instead we're gonna get an impromput tag? Featuring guys that alreayd worked?

I have a pissed off son.

edit to add: The crowd incidentally also booed the Hurricane Harvey PSA clip when it showed Reigns LOL
edit again: And there's a slow steady stream to the exits even as the women's match is being introduced

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 08-28-2017 at 09:50 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 10:52 PM   #7179
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Interesting tidbit from my kid, who is at his first Raw tonight in Memphis:
no Samoa Joe merch in the house ... which is interesting since he's spoilered to be in the main event (or the 10p main at least). You'd think you could sell some merch like that huh.

Only non-Raw merch on the tables is AJ. And the best-selling item being carried around in the early crowd? The MiTB briefcases ($75 a pop).

But thought the Joe thing was interesting, he'll main the show but we ain't gonna put out merch, something to remember IMO next time we hear merch numbers and analysis of who sells what.

Stories like this have been going around for years now. I remember CM Punk complaining when he got hot that his merchandise was never available (or not enough was brought).

I'm still 90% sure it's just them just guessing what merchandise will sell the most and bringing that. But 10% of me wonders if the company pushes certain wrestlers merchandise more because they want to get them over at the expense of fans. I guarantee you'll never see an event with a shortage of Reigns merchandise.

Either way, with the reaction Joe's been getting over the past couple months, the company should be figuring out he's getting more and more popular.
Old 08-29-2017, 01:53 AM   #7180
RainMaker
General Manager

Fastforwarded through Raw but saw that Reigns-Cena segment.

I don't think Reigns was that bad but Cena just crushed him. If they aren't turning Reigns heel, I don't know what to think anymore. How do you comeback from having the biggest star in the company over the last decade call you a corporately created copy of himself? Only option is to make him what he is, the corporate bad guy.
Old 08-29-2017, 09:04 AM   #7181
murrayyyyy
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Side note from the kid: local promotion all week was for Cena vs Joe and Reigns vs Strauman.

The Joe vs Cena sold my kid a ticket ... and instead we're gonna get an impromput tag? Featuring guys that alreayd worked?

I have a pissed off son.

edit to add: The crowd incidentally also booed the Hurricane Harvey PSA clip when it showed Reigns LOL
edit again: And there's a slow steady stream to the exits even as the women's match is being introduced

Joe injured his leg over the weekend and is out for a month supposedly so may have been a reason for the storyline change.

Booing Roman is pretty much standard for every video package shown at live events. The other (that I don't get) is booing Charlotte when she is seen also. Even in those TapOut commercials.

That would have been a tough show to sit through as 3 of the last 4 matches were Emma v Mickey, Pelvis Wesley v The Drifter and then look at your watch to notice there is 10 mins for a women's title match to close the show. This is the reason I see no interest in going to Smackdown in a few weeks minus the fact my kid would probably enjoy seeing Nakamura but with our luck they'd give him the microphone for a 10 min rap battle vs the Bollywood Boys.
Old 08-29-2017, 09:11 AM   #7182
murrayyyyy
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Fastforwarded through Raw but saw that Reigns-Cena segment.

I don't think Reigns was that bad but Cena just crushed him. If they aren't turning Reigns heel, I don't know what to think anymore. How do you comeback from having the biggest star in the company over the last decade call you a corporately created copy of himself? Only option is to make him what he is, the corporate bad guy.

I think the only option is the Shield reforming. The fans won't allow anything less with him.
Old 08-29-2017, 09:45 AM   #7183
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Joe injured his leg over the weekend and is out for a month supposedly so may have been a reason for the storyline change.

Yep, I got a text showing me one of the dirtsheet writeups on that around 3am. So at least he didn't feel screwed over, just disappointed.

His highlights of the night, in no particular order really: getting to chant you suck at Angle, the Cena promo (words he never thought he be saying), and seeing Heyman live.

And I'll just say that he found the crowd in Memphis, in the cheap seats, to be ... interesting. I believe we may have located one of the last cells of kayfabe known to exist.
Old 08-29-2017, 10:55 AM   #7184
Suicane75
Coordinator

Quote:
Yep, I got a text showing me one of the dirtsheet writeups on that around 3am. So at least he didn't feel screwed over, just disappointed.

His highlights of the night, in no particular order really: getting to chant you suck at Angle, the Cena promo (words he never thought he be saying), and seeing Heyman live.

And I'll just say that he found the crowd in Memphis, in the cheap seats, to be ... interesting. I believe we may have located one of the last cells of kayfabe known to exist.

How many live shows has he attended? I think most people would be surprised at the level of...shall we say, intelligence at the live events. I'm not so sure they believe it's real as much as they enjoy playing along, but it's still rather fascinating.

I think it's been about 10 years since I last went to a WWE event, it was a RAW in Philly, and we had to leave about two hours in because, and I shit you not, we could not take the people. We realized at some point that we were all internally yelling "shut up", to just about everyone in our section. Grown men talking about who could beat who, serious discussions on how many Undertakers and Ultimate Warriors there had been. On and on it was just too much to take.
Old 08-29-2017, 11:24 AM   #7185
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
How many live shows has he attended? I think most people would be surprised at the level of...shall we say, intelligence at the live events. I'm not so sure they believe it's real as much as they enjoy playing along, but it's still rather fascinating.

He's been to enough live indies that I can't really count 'em. And several TNA's. His description of the upper deck crowd (distinctly separate from the lower deck crowd) was pretty specific. Not particularly flattering, but specific

He's very much an IWC guy, knows that and accepts it. We've dealt with some of the most stereotypical marks on the planet at rural indy shows -- and we accept that for what it is too -- so for it to have stood out so sharply last night it must have really been something. We're talking 1/3rd of them believe the moon landing was fake kind of stuff. (I guessed 25%, he said the number was almost certainly higher).

We talked for a while afterwards last night about the differences in that crowd vs any other he'd seen. One of the defining things was the playing of an NXT highlight / recap clip, which prompted him & one other guy down on the floor to give a hearty "Adam Cole baby" yell ... which had half his section responding with "who?" (Literally, people asking him who that was).

Another thing that stood out was the absence of any LiJ or Bullet Club shirts, honestly he's never been at a show where those wouldn't have been readily visible, not even the most rural of rural indies lacked a certain number of IWC fans.

I just don't think he was really able to grasp, until last night, just where the awareness bar really sits for a mainstream mass market crowd.

I think experiencing a live TV show was something he could appreciate, for the novelty of it, but I'd be surprised if he ever went to another one.
Old 08-29-2017, 11:48 AM   #7186
murrayyyyy
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

I think it's been about 10 years since I last went to a WWE event, it was a RAW in Philly, and we had to leave about two hours in because, and I shit you not, we could not take the people. We realized at some point that we were all internally yelling "shut up", to just about everyone in our section. Grown men talking about who could beat who, serious discussions on how many Undertakers and Ultimate Warriors there had been. On and on it was just too much to take.

There is a major difference between a TV crowd and a Live tour crowd. RAW crowd seems to be more family oriented and they don't keep their kids there after two hours because of school.

But... it's Memphis. Grew up there and here is all you need to know with regards to wrestling. CWA/USWA results were the lead for the nights news sports segments. Not the Monday night football game, not MLB, not NBA, not even Memphis State. It was the results to the Monday night card at Mid-South Coliseum. It's taken way to seriously there (or was when I lived there). Way before RAW on Monday night, Memphis had 7k+ every week for live Monday shows which were basically the same matches they had FRI, SAT, SUN around the mid-south.

I'm sure there are those who still believe it's real in Memphis (reason to have a Cena-Roman shoot there) but I have to agree with certain areas with wrestling roots have fans who want to interact with the show instead of hijacking it with beach balls. Even here in Vegas I'll hear someone act like it's real (usually a teenager or kid but there have been adults) and I sit there and join in on the fun of acting like it's real also. But then again, I'll do the same thing at amusement parks. Mr. Toad's Wild Ride isn't scary but I'll be damned if I don't act like it's the craziest shit ever to entertain a kid. I don't go to a movie to be critical the whole time so why should you do it at wrestling. It's entertainment, not sports.
Old 08-29-2017, 12:23 PM   #7187
murrayyyyy
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
We talked for a while afterwards last night about the differences in that crowd vs any other he'd seen. One of the defining things was the playing of an NXT highlight / recap clip, which prompted him & one other guy down on the floor to give a hearty "Adam Cole baby" yell ... which had half his section responding with "who?" (Literally, people asking him who that was).

Another thing that stood out was the absence of any LiJ or Bullet Club shirts, honestly he's never been at a show where those wouldn't have been readily visible, not even the most rural of rural indies lacked a certain number of IWC fans.

I just don't think he was really able to grasp, until last night, just where the awareness bar really sits for a mainstream mass market crowd.

I think experiencing a live TV show was something he could appreciate, for the novelty of it, but I'd be surprised if he ever went to another one.

Simple reason for not knowing Adam Cole. ROH isn't shown in Memphis. It's how I know more about Cole than his NJPW matches.

LiJ/BC tees. I would have been shocked if 10% of the crowd had a wrestling tee before entering the arena. I was back in Memphis a month ago and entered a Hot Topic store @ Wolfchase Mall. There might have been 10 total wrestling tees on the wall and the BC ones were 100% full. Probably goes back to not having ROH on TV there. Seems like BC tees are either a NE or CALI thing. I doubt they sell that well over most of the south (Little Rock should be another non-BC show tonight as they don't show ROH there either).

TV experience is for non fans. If he gets a chance to see a WWE house show it's 500% better. No TV breaks, wrestlers seem to play to the crowd more. Totally different with the WWE.
Old 08-29-2017, 01:24 PM   #7188
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Simple reason for not knowing Adam Cole. ROH isn't shown in Memphis. It's how I know more about Cole than his NJPW matches.

Thing is, a lot of indy product wasn't on TV anywhere for any of the shows he's experienced before either. Yet the prominent workers were known by enough people for there to be some semblance of ... understanding/ education/whateveryacallit.

Ultimately, for a show like this one (even in a pretty legendary market as in wrestling goes), having been seen on a major network is all that matters. And it was really no different back in the halcyon days of wrestling on WMC-TV either.

The kid's phrasing was pretty good I think when he said something to the effect than anyone else is no different to this crowd than four guys from the gas station working an indy show twice a year at the middle school.

It was just a lack of sophistication on a level that I don't know that he was prepared for and I'm not sure he could have gotten it without seeing it first hand.
Old 08-30-2017, 09:58 AM   #7189
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
They both crushed each other. Other than Roman botching that one line, it was basically the two of them ripping each other by saying true things -- the line about Cena doing the Today Show and then jumping on his private bus if he feels like it was every bit as bad as the bootleg shot.

It all makes for interesting TV but I'm not sure how it helps the business to have two of your key guys tell the audience (truthfully) about why the other guy isn't worth caring about.
Old 08-30-2017, 10:01 AM   #7190
Flasch186
Coordinator

I wonder if it was HHH's put up or shut up moment to Reigns that theyve done everything in their power to make him the future but if he cant hold the torch than they're going to move on to someone else.

at the same time Miz is showing that he literally is the most consistent worker (like he said to Daniels), safest worker, most dedicated worker they have. They should reward him.

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 11:28 AM   #7191
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

I was showing my son old wrestling clips on YouTube.

Macho Man's flying elbow is still the prettiest thing I've ever seen in a wrestling ring. It wouldn't look out of place in a ballet.

(Like, an awesome ballet.)
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 12:12 PM   #7192
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

I'll take the Show-Stroman matches over Okada-Omega every day.
CrescentMoonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 09:15 PM   #7193
Mota
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrescentMoonie View Post

That's the greatest thing about wrestling, there's usually something for everybody.
Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 09:37 PM   #7194
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Apparently Jarrett is still a trainwreck and Anthem didn't even finish getting the GFW trademarks before doing the rebrand.

Backstage News On What Led To Jeff Jarrett's GFW Leave Of Absence, Anthem - GFW Merger Status, More - WrestlingInc.com
Old 09-06-2017, 01:12 PM   #7195
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Bah. Superplexes, flying elbows off the top rope, guys doing back-first dives through cage walls... So tired of all this flippy stuff.
Old 09-06-2017, 06:04 PM   #7196
General Mike
Pro Starter

Quote:
Apparently Jarrett is still a trainwreck and Anthem didn't even finish getting the GFW trademarks before doing the rebrand.

Backstage News On What Led To Jeff Jarrett's GFW Leave Of Absence, Anthem - GFW Merger Status, More - WrestlingInc.com

Looks like Anthem wants to pull the plug anyway.

https://www.si.com/extra-mustard/201...orce-wrestling

The fact that they renewed their no money TV deal with Pop for another year speaks volumes about the future of the company.
Nebraska Coach FOFC-BBCF
Rutgers & Washington coach Bowl Bound-BBCF
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 07:10 PM   #7197
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Mike View Post
Looks like Anthem wants to pull the plug anyway.

https://www.si.com/extra-mustard/201...orce-wrestling

The fact that they renewed their no money TV deal with Pop for another year speaks volumes about the future of the company.

Too bad Corbin didn't take over instead of Anthem. I feel like they would at least have had a chance. Anthem had no clue.

I wonder if TNA being offloaded/shuttered is why we're seeing so much more of the Broken Hardy actions from Matt the last few weeks.
Old 09-06-2017, 08:47 PM   #7198
General Mike
Pro Starter

Quote:
Too bad Corbin didn't take over instead of Anthem. I feel like they would at least have had a chance. Anthem had no clue.

I wonder if TNA being offloaded/shuttered is why we're seeing so much more of the Broken Hardy actions from Matt the last few weeks.

Corbin has even less money then Anthem, so I'm not sure that would have worked any better. At the end of the day, it doesn't matter who owns TNA/ GFW/ Impact, they have cash flow problems that are insurmountable.
Nebraska Coach FOFC-BBCF
Rutgers & Washington coach Bowl Bound-BBCF
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 09:30 PM   #7199
Mota
College Benchwarmer

Whatever it's called, there's a stink attached to it that will never go away.

I remember back when Paul Heyman was rumored to be taking over, but they didn't want to give him a share in the company as part of the package. Boy, I bet they regret that now. That was back in the day when it could still be saved, they weren't that far off the good ol' days. I would say that the company has NEGATIVE value, that it would be better to start a new company than to take over this one.
Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 09:42 PM   #7200
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mota View Post
Whatever it's called, there's a stink attached to it that will never go away.

I remember back when Paul Heyman was rumored to be taking over, but they didn't want to give him a share in the company as part of the package. Boy, I bet they regret that now. That was back in the day when it could still be saved, they weren't that far off the good ol' days. I would say that the company has NEGATIVE value, that it would be better to start a new company than to take over this one.

I think the tape library has value to WWE though. Really it might be their only option. I would to see OLD Tna on the network. They can keep most of the new shit.
dubb93 is offline   Reply With Quote