Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-28-2023, 02:35 PM   #7201
bob
College Starter

According to my quick research, the main cop in the George Floyd incident was fired the day after the incident and charged 4 days later
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2023, 02:50 PM   #7202
cuervo72
Head Coach

The difference with the Floyd case though is that there was a crowd and witnesses that took video. There was no way of suppressing it. I think it would have been easy here to bury the video (or lose it, or say something malfunctioned) and stick by the initial police report of the incident.
Old 01-28-2023, 07:36 PM   #7203
Edward64
Head Coach

Drone attack in Iran and Twitter is saying multiple places. No idea how big of an attack though.

Speculation is Israel. Wouldn’t think US would be that direct?

More to come.

Last edited by Edward64 : 01-28-2023 at 07:37 PM.
Edward64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2023, 10:44 PM   #7204
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Attacks large enough to register a 5 on the Richter scale. Holy crap.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2023, 10:45 PM   #7205
GrantDawg

There is fighting going on near Iran's nuclear center.

Old 01-28-2023, 11:07 PM   #7206
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
Attacks large enough to register a 5 on the Richter scale. Holy crap.

I believe that is a naturally occurring earthquake.
Old 02-01-2023, 07:01 PM   #7207
Edward64
Head Coach

I don’t know if this is the right plan but it’s reassuring to know we are thinking new ways re: future conflicts vs China instead of rinse-and-repeat stuff.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-64294915
Quote:
The new plan sees the Marines as fighting dispersed operations across chains of islands. Units will be smaller, more spread out, but packing a much bigger punch through a variety of new weapons systems. Huge amphibious landings like in World War Two or massive deployments on land - like in Iraq - will probably be things of the past.

Most unpopular is the plan to cut back on foot soldiers and give up all its tanks. Such proposals have led some critics to feel the Corps is turning its back on its past.
Quote:
Its traditional role as America's military first responder, capable of taking on disparate challenges around the globe, is what critics believe could be compromised by the new plan with its clear focus upon China and the Indo-Pacific.

So what exactly is in the plan?

some infantry battalions - the foot soldiers - to be cut
around three-quarters of its towed artillery batteries replaced by long-range rocket systems
several helicopter squadrons are being cut
giving up all of its tanks
Old 02-01-2023, 07:18 PM   #7208
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
I don’t know if this is the right plan but it’s reassuring to know we are thinking new ways re: future conflicts vs China instead of rinse-and-repeat stuff.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-64294915

This is all stuff that was being discussed for our armed forces when I was in. Tanks just haven't really been useful for us since the first gulf war. With drones, long range missile systems, and air superiority foot soldiers aren't as necessary either. They're really needed for securing areas we've already hit and for special operations. Helo's are just too easy to take down.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 07:28 PM   #7209
Atocep
Coordinator

What DeSantis is doing to public education in Florida is scary when you think about him as a potential President.

Western Civilization courses are mandatory and diversity classes are now banned. He's also taken over a public liberal arts college by replacing the board, firing the president, and replacing her with someone far more conservative. All in the name of "academic freedom"

Not to mention the war he started with The College Board over the African American Studies course that he pressured them to change and they did.
Old 02-01-2023, 07:52 PM   #7210
miked
College Starter

It's funny, for a group of people who says the government is in too many people's lives, they want to dictate what schools can teach even at the college level. All in the name of "anti-woke" or something.
Old 02-02-2023, 07:53 AM   #7211
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Biden's political superpower is that his image is so normal and moderate that people assume he's always the most reasonable guy in the room.

If Biden and McCarthy meet and both come out of the meeting saying that the other one is being unreasonable, people are going to assume that Biden is the one being reasonable--without any real regard to the actual reasonableness of their positions--because McCarthy has thrown his lot in with actual crazy people.

Like, when Biden says that he and Kevin (side note--love the use of first name there) are treating each other with respect, that actually hurts McCarthy with his base. But if he tries to push back against that--"Actually, I didn't treat the President with respect"--he loses moderates.

Last edited by albionmoonlight : 02-02-2023 at 07:55 AM.
albionmoonlight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2023, 11:40 AM   #7212
molson
General Manager

Random observation, I noticed my conservative brother saying "Biden administration", a lot blaming it for this and that, like how he's boycotting Amazon because Whole Foods stopped buying non-sustainable lobster from Maine fisherman, hurting their livelihood, which was all the fault of the "Biden administration" for reasons I didn't try to grasp. But I did notice he kept using that term.

Then I was in a Lyft yesterday going to the airport in Las Vegas, and the driver had on conservative talk radio, which kept blaming the "Biden administration" for this and that. It stood out. I'm pretty sure that with Obama was president it was just "Obama" destroying America and so forth. I wonder if this is an intentional difference and what is behind it. Maybe the idea is that Biden isn't villainous enough because he's too old to be an evil mastermind, so it's more an evil administration?

Last edited by molson : 02-02-2023 at 11:47 AM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2023, 11:56 AM   #7213
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Heard him speak at the prayer breakfast today on the radio. He sounded great. Totally clear and coherent. Making jokes while getting the message across. Of course he isnt as sharp as he was, but it really irritates me the way the right tries to paint him as a drooling invalid who eats pudding all day.
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2023, 12:04 PM   #7214
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
Random observation, I noticed my conservative brother saying "Biden administration", a lot blaming it for this and that, like how he's boycotting Amazon because Whole Foods stopped buying non-sustainable lobster from Maine fisherman, hurting their livelihood, which was all the fault of the "Biden administration" for reasons I didn't try to grasp. But I did notice he kept using that term.

Then I was in a Lyft yesterday going to the airport in Las Vegas, and the driver had on conservative talk radio, which kept blaming the "Biden administration" for this and that. It stood out. I'm pretty sure that with Obama was president it was just "Obama" destroying America and so forth. I wonder if this is an intentional difference and what is behind it. Maybe the idea is that Biden isn't villainous enough because he's too old to be an evil mastermind, so it's more an evil administration?

But what about "The Biden Crime Family"
Old 02-02-2023, 12:30 PM   #7215
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post

I think that you are spot on. Obama was a black guy who's middle name is Hussain. He was the bad guy.

Biden is an old white guy who like ice cream. Hard to hate. You need to say "administration" to get in all of the queers and non-whites that are really running the country Weekend-At-Bernie's style.
Old 02-02-2023, 12:43 PM   #7216
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

There is a reason why you haven’t heard nearly as much impeach Biden. They know or doesn’t sell. It’s why they are going after Myorkis now. Much more foreign sounding name. It’s also why they attacked mayor Pete following the southwest debacle.
Old 02-02-2023, 01:06 PM   #7217
PilotMan
Head Coach

Those people don't believe Biden is actually running anything anyway. He's a puppet and his "administration" is really running everything. He's not competent enough to do anything, is at fault for everything, because he's not good enough to know better, and is taking credit for things he's not doing.

Basically the opposite of trump, who was fully in charge of everything, not responsible for anything, and was fighting anyone in his administration who wasn't doing it his way.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2023, 01:16 PM   #7218
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
Those people don't believe Biden is actually running anything anyway. He's a puppet and his "administration" is really running everything. He's not competent enough to do anything, is at fault for everything, because he's not good enough to know better, and is taking credit for things he's not doing.

Basically the opposite of trump, who was fully in charge of everything, not responsible for anything, and was fighting anyone in his administration who wasn't doing it his way.
Yeah, that is what I was going to post until I saw yours. Most people I talk to on the Right think Biden is just a senile incompetent old man. Plus, they love demonizing VP Harris as the real person running the show. A black woman? It must be her destroying everything.
Old 02-02-2023, 02:19 PM   #7219
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
I think that you are spot on. Obama was a black guy who's middle name is Hussain. He was the bad guy.

Biden is an old white guy who like ice cream. Hard to hate. You need to say "administration" to get in all of the queers and non-whites that are really running the country Weekend-At-Bernie's style.

This is spot-on. Republicans have mostly given up on policy stuff. They don't tout anything. It's all about the person.

Obama is black with a foreign sounding name. Hillary is a woman. They are thus evil because of that.

Biden on the other hand is like you said, an old white guy who likes ice cream and fast cars. He's basically their ideal American. It's why I think someone like Mark Kelly would be impossible for them to beat.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2023, 02:20 PM   #7220
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post

This too. Biden is a likable guy so you have to act like he's not really in charge of anything.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2023, 02:23 PM   #7221
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Biden on the other hand is like you said, an old white guy who likes ice cream and fast cars. He's basically their ideal American. It's why I think someone like Mark Kelly would be impossible for them to beat.
And somehow in 1984 Democrats thought Walter Mondale was a better idea than John Glenn...
Old 02-02-2023, 06:38 PM   #7222
Edward64
Head Coach

Yeah baby, com’on back to the fold. Who needs TPP when we’ve got bases (and ANKUS), the better option. Right thing to do Bong Bong, don’t care if your dad was Marcos. Children shouldn’t be held accountable for sins of their parents.

Philippines is a country that we should target to build up militarily and economically. There’s some negative history there but for the most part the Philippines people like and prefer US over China.

Joe, drop Kamala and take Blinken (or Lloyd Austin?) as your VP.

Last edited by Edward64 : 02-02-2023 at 06:41 PM.
Old 02-02-2023, 09:24 PM   #7223
Atocep
Coordinator

So I guess this is where we're at.

Old 02-02-2023, 09:39 PM   #7224
Edward64
Head Coach

I hope they fast track appeal this to SCOTUS.

Interesting to see the ‘final’ outcome
Old 02-03-2023, 07:29 AM   #7225
Swaggs
Coordinator

This is pretty concerning and not getting enough press:

John Roberts' Wife Allegations Spark Call for Supreme Court Scrutiny

The Chief Justice’s wife is being paid into the six-figures a pop by law firms to recruit attorneys. Isn’t this exactly the type of thing the GOP is frothing at the mouth over with Hunter Biden? Only it is clear and easily provable right now?
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2023, 08:16 AM   #7226
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

https://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...-labor-market/

If I were the GOP, I'd be focusing on social issues, too. Reality isn't being too kind to their economic arguments.
Old 02-03-2023, 08:50 AM   #7227
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
And somehow in 1984 Democrats thought Walter Mondale was a better idea than John Glenn...

The history of Democratic Party electoral choices is a varied and idiotic story.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2023, 08:51 AM   #7228
Thomkal
Head Coach

I'm sure its all made-up by the Biden Administration/leftist media to make him look good...
Old 02-03-2023, 08:51 AM   #7229
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

If gun restrictions can only have analogs to 1791 or 1868, does that mean that only guns available in those years can subject to 2nd amendment protections?
Old 02-03-2023, 11:59 AM   #7230
Atocep
Coordinator

Fox spent the last couple of days getting their viewers excited for a bad jobs report that released this morning. Then they glossed over it and quickly moved on when it reported 517k jobs added and the lowest unemployment rate since 1969.
Old 02-03-2023, 12:03 PM   #7231
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho View Post
If gun restrictions can only have analogs to 1791 or 1868, does that mean that only guns available in those years can subject to 2nd amendment protections?

We need a left leaning state to try it just to put an end to this madness.
Old 02-03-2023, 04:08 PM   #7232
Drake
assmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
So I guess this is where we're at.

If we use the rationale that "if the Founding Fathers didn't care about it, we don't have to, either"...does that mean I can stop paying income taxes?
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2023, 04:32 PM   #7233
HerRealName
College Prospect

I'm confused by this balloon. Surely China has spy satellites capable of seeing everything anyway. What is the point of the balloon?
HerRealName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2023, 04:41 PM   #7234
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Someone suggested they might want to see how we shot it down.
Old 02-03-2023, 08:08 PM   #7235
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Apparently Fox News posted some breaking news and a [fake] video of the "balloon" exploding over Montana about an hour ago. But people are tracking it across the midwest and at about 6pm CT it was in western KY and earlier had crossed over St. Louis.

WTF is Fox doing?
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2023, 09:00 PM   #7236
Edward64
Head Coach

Probably probing our early warning system which apparently failed as this was first seen by civilians.
Old 02-04-2023, 03:14 AM   #7237
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Someone suggested they might want to see how we shot it down.

This makes a scary amount of sense to me, which is probably why we aren’t shooting it down (we are scared of debris in middle of nowhere Montana, really?)

They have probably already got a bunch of data about how we will react, how the public reacts, who and what is involved in the response, but yeah no need to give them any more. Probably next time it will be something that could be weaponized and see how the response differs.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2023, 07:02 AM   #7238
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Probably probing our early warning system which apparently failed as this was first seen by civilians.

First reported by civilians. I don’t think that the Pentagon is in the habit of truthfully telling the world what it can and can’t and did and didn’t detect.

(Though it is a good reminder of the reasons we all voted against Trump. If he were still President, he’d have felt personally embarrassed by the insinuation that he didn’t know what was happening, so he’d have given a press conference revealing all of the Top Secret stuff that military leaders told him in their “Don’t worry about the balloon, Sir” briefing).
Old 02-04-2023, 12:25 PM   #7239
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:

I was not aware that NORAD made public every potential threat it detected, besides Santa.
Old 02-04-2023, 12:43 PM   #7240
Thomkal
Head Coach

Apparantly the balloon has made its way to the Myrtle Beach area-the FAA has issued a ground stop for the airport because of it
Old 02-04-2023, 12:48 PM   #7241
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

I imagine our military guys are telling their military guys that they really need to try and hide their spy balloons better. When they make them so obvious that even civilians can see them, it makes our whole Neo Cold War a lot more difficult to manage.
Old 02-04-2023, 12:51 PM   #7242
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Goodbye Iowa, Hello South Carolina!

Good-bye Iowa! Democrats approve Biden's revamped primary calendar

If I were to design a system of primary voting order, first I would create 50 voting day "slots" and scatter them across the primary calendar, one date can have more than one slot if you want to preserve days such as "Super Tuesday". Then I would take the states and rank them by voter turnout in the previous presidential election. And then those states one by one would get to pick which slot their primary is. I think states who encourage voter turnout should be rewarded.

Also this is a depressing reminder that the next election is right around the corner. But at least this time I probably won't have to see stupid ads of Tim Ryan throwing footballs at TVs
Old 02-04-2023, 01:10 PM   #7243
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

This signals to me Biden is serious about a run. Curious if the party will rally around him, or if any alternate candidates come to the forefront. I think it is the former.

Despite the right wing echo chamber he's done a good job and while not as spry as he once was he isn't the brain dead fool the right portrays him as.
Old 02-04-2023, 01:15 PM   #7244
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
I imagine our military guys are telling their military guys that they really need to try and hide their spy balloons better. When they make them so obvious that even civilians can see them, it makes our whole Neo Cold War a lot more difficult to manage.

I turned the news over to Fox and they were broadcasting live with the balloon right over us here in Surfside Beach. So fair warning if I start turning into a mutant or get super powers

Last edited by Thomkal : 02-04-2023 at 02:14 PM.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2023, 02:03 PM   #7245
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
This signals to me Biden is serious about a run. Curious if the party will rally around him, or if any alternate candidates come to the forefront. I think it is the former.

Despite the right wing echo chamber he's done a good job and while not as spry as he once was he isn't the brain dead fool the right portrays him as.

I can't see anyone primarying Biden if he chooses to run unless it was a Trumpy sort of person. It would cause fractions within the party and would certainly lead to a Republican victory.
Old 02-04-2023, 02:06 PM   #7246
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
I can't see anyone primarying Biden if he chooses to run unless it was a Trumpy sort of person. It would cause fractions within the party and would certainly lead to a Republican victory.

I agree, but given he didn't do well in Iowa or NH last cycle I think they want to start in SC so there is a perceived show of strength. Both to deter any others from running and to broadcast he is a force to be reckoned with in the general.
Old 02-04-2023, 02:21 PM   #7247
bronconick
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post

That, and the 2020 Iowa Caucuses were a disaster that they never want to repeat.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2023, 02:29 PM   #7248
PilotMan
Head Coach

I can see the Fox headlines now.

"Biden fails to deter Chinese and state forced to down Spy balloon that terrorized a nation, on its OWN, before it fled the country! Impeach Biden!"

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2023, 04:43 PM   #7249
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

I think a good percentage of the Democratic party was tired of the first two states having electorates that come nowhere near mirroring national party membership and the tire fire in Iowa last time around gave them an excuse to finally make the change.
Old 02-04-2023, 06:14 PM   #7250
Edward64
Head Coach

Biden has exceeded my overall expectations (not stumbling too much, bipartisan deals, foreign policy, and especially vs China) and stands the best chance of beating Trump, so I do want him to run again (unless he significantly declines).

I would strongly prefer another VP though as the backup, Kamala does not fill me with confidence.

It would be good for Biden to delay formally announcing until the very last minute just to see how Trump is doing in the GOP.