Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-17-2007, 05:49 PM   #701
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan S View Post
The scene at the swimming pool was full of unrealistic British accents. The kids had weird English upper class accents and their father had a strange Scottish accent. I don't think anything (in the flashback) sounded close to a Manchester accent.

Strange, given how realistic the accents are with the regular British cast members.

I actually was thinking that the accents were all wrong, but wasn't confident enough to say anything
Old 05-17-2007, 05:53 PM   #702
sabotai
General Manager

I actually liked this episode, and I usually hate Charlie-centered episodes.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 06:26 PM   #703
Richard Weed
H.S. Freshman Team

I was disappointed that we didn't get to see what happened to Locke, and they showed Jacob but didn't expand on it.

I liked the episode though, so it was entertaining.
Old 05-17-2007, 07:02 PM   #704
GoDukes
Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Weed View Post
I was disappointed that we didn't get to see what happened to Locke, and they showed Jacob but didn't expand on it.

I think the worst part is knowing the Locke won't die - yet Ben left him there to die (why didn't he finish him off?). Jacob will probably come save him.
GoDukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 07:14 PM   #705
Pyser
Pro Rookie

or alex...
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 09:36 PM   #706
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:

Agreed about Locke, but although it was disappointing, it was not at all surprising that they saved that for the finale.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 01:01 AM   #707
kingfc22
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by moriarty View Post
I actually liked the episode and was really starting to feel bad about Charlie dying ...

Yea, the whole backstory and his greatest hits list was really getting to me. Then he gets into the underwater hatch and they pull a nice twist I didn't see coming.

This season has definitatley finished strong.
Old 05-18-2007, 06:14 AM   #708
Mota
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
Agreed about Locke, but although it was disappointing, it was not at all surprising that they saved that for the finale.

Almost a guarantee that you won't see Locke until the last 30 seconds of this season. He'll totally turn the tide on whatever momentum is happening and it will leave you wondering what side he's on ... end of season. That's my guess at least!
Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 10:10 PM   #709
flounder
High School Varsity

Well, that was odd.
flounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 10:33 PM   #710
NoMyths
Poet in Residence

Great, great end -- taking the show in a new direction sets up a brilliant opportunity for the narrative, if they can capitalize.
NoMyths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 10:33 PM   #711
cmp
Pro Rookie

Wow. Didn't see that coming.
cmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 10:47 PM   #712
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Loved the finale. Great stuff. I am glad I came back to the show. I missed a good 5-6 episodes there between Feb-April, maybe more.

My wife called the "future" flashback (flashforward?) right off the bat. A very interesting way to, well, make those more interesting.

Poor Charlie. Despite the fact that most Charlie-centric episodes weren't all that great, I liked him as a character. He had some great moments. A great ending for him.

Loved Hurley in the van.

I can't believe we have to wait until January...
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 12:00 AM   #713
Swaggs
Coordinator

That was an amazing episode.

The one very deceptive thing, that I did not like, was when he told the chief to go up and talk to his father about being drunk. I thought that was intentionally framing the backstory to be from the past.

Did anyone get a super closeup of the obituary? I was assuming Sawyer, but then Kate mentioned that she had to get back to someone, so not sure there.

Overall, I really enjoyed that way more than I expected. It was cool seeing Walt again, getting to Rousseau and Alex finally meet, and the drama of thinking the three gunmen were dead (which lead me to think Charlie was going to survive).
Old 05-24-2007, 12:08 AM   #714
Daimyo
College Starter

I assume that was Ben's funeral.
Daimyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 12:22 AM   #715
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
The one very deceptive thing, that I did not like, was when he told the chief to go up and talk to his father about being drunk. I thought that was intentionally framing the backstory to be from the past.

I didn't like that either. The fact that the flashbacks were always flashbacks made it wonderfully deceptive enough. Throwing in that line about his dad at the hospital was cheaply hackish. (Assuming that his dad is, in fact, dead and isn't "brought back" after he leaves the island.)

Everything else was great, though.

Last edited by sabotai : 05-24-2007 at 12:25 AM.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 12:26 AM   #716
Grammaticus
Pro Rookie

I was thinking Sawyer's funeral as well.

Also, I would not be too surprised if we find out Charlie ultimately swims through the porthole to safety.
Grammaticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 12:27 AM   #717
cmp
Pro Rookie

The name on the obit I believe was Jeremy Bentham. Some other boards I was at had that as the name.
cmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 01:06 AM   #718
thesloppy
Pro Starter

I'm thiiiinking of a number, do you know what it is? It's 8, and it's the number of minutes in between commercial breaks on tonight's Lost! I suppose that's somewhat normal and to be expected, but it sure gave my fingers a workout on the ol' remote.

Otherwise very enjoyable, but the wait for next season is going to be hard. I also assumed that the funeral was Ben's.

Last edited by thesloppy : 05-24-2007 at 01:11 AM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 02:51 AM   #719
Pyser
Pro Rookie

wow. just wow. need to digest that one.

entire 2nd season has been redeemed. best show on tv again.
Old 05-24-2007, 07:11 AM   #720
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daimyo View Post
I assume that was Ben's funeral.

I originally thought Sawyer too, until Kate said about "He'll be wondering where I am".

So I am thinking Locke. Based on two things--
1) When the funeral director asks Jack "Friend or Family?" and Jack responds neither. Locke doesn't want to leave the island, but is "rescued" anyway?
2) The funeral director mentions no one else had shown up. Of the characters on the island, Locke has nothing to come back to, no reason to leave. Jack may not have either, but we know it isn't him, and we are assuming Kate/Sawyer hookup, so they had each other. Everyone else has someone back home

I guess this also means that after being rescued, the 815-ers didn't keep in touch, send Christmas cards or have summer reunions.

My questions are-

1) Was Walt real? I called that earlier with my wife, I said Walt and Michael will be back.
2) Someone else mentioned this above, but I didn't understand Jack telling the chief (Mike from Las Vegas) to check and see how drunk his father is. IF this was a "flashforward" his father is already dead, no?
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 07:22 AM   #721
NoMyths
Poet in Residence

I'm inrigued by the idea of Jack's father being alive post-Island, and the implications for what that might mean. We did, of course, see his father alive again on the Island, and his body was never found, but until Locke's father also appeared--and was clearly not a ghost--it leaves open the possibility that his father came back as well. He also gave the pharmacist a prescription signed by his father (or apparently so).

And finally: so long, Charlie, played by one of the best actors on the show.

Last edited by NoMyths : 05-24-2007 at 07:22 AM.
NoMyths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 07:33 AM   #722
spleen1015
Coordinator

When Jack saw his father on the island, it was the smoke monster. Walt speaking backwards to Shannon and talking to Locke in the pit is the smoke monster. Kate seeing the horse was the smoke monster.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 08:03 AM   #723
Richard Weed
H.S. Freshman Team

The Good: Sawyer killing Tom, "That's for taking the boy."
The Bad: Locke killing Naomi, when he's been portrayed as someone who wouldn't kill anyone.
The Ugly: Charlie didn't have to die. He could've kept the door open and swam out with Desmond.

It was a good season finale...definitely the best one of the series. Jack's flashforward was definitely a flashforward. I was wondering how he got such a slim cell phone in the past. Also, he was looking at maps, mentioned a golden pass to Kate, and the funeral home he went to was called Hoffs/Drawlar (anagram for flash forward).
Old 05-24-2007, 08:17 AM   #724
Rizon
Pro Starter

SWERVE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
I don't think I'd stop even if I found a dick.
Rizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 08:25 AM   #725
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I agree that Jack's reference to his father was very deceptive. It will be interesting to see how that plays out.

I also wonder whether there will be more "flashforwards" in future episodes. The flashbacks, for the most part, had become pretty stale, but flashforwards would add a whole new level of interest for the off'-island portions of the show.

Sawyer has gone to a very dark place.

Am I the only one who found Naomi incredibly... odd looking? She looked like an Oompa-Loompa or something. The color of her skin, her face, her voice, all of it was just very... off.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 08:40 AM   #726
Uncle Briggs
Mascot

Quote:
The Ugly: Charlie didn't have to die. He could've kept the door open and swam out with Desmond.

Or he could have shut the dang door from the other side. The wife and I decided that Charlie believes he has to die for Claire to get off the island (because of Desmond's vision) so that's why he shut himself in. This didn't come across very clearly, to me at least.
Uncle Briggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 08:58 AM   #727
Kodos
Resident Alien

I was wondering about Charlie's actions as well. All he had to do was get out and close the door behind him because patch-eye didn't set off the grenade very quickly. And since he knew drowning was in his future, why not put on scuba gear before hitting the buttons? I know he wants Claire and baby to make it off the island, but if I'm him, I take the chance of messing it up and living.

I was on to the flash-forward pretty early. Not sure why, other than drugged-up Charlie didn't seem to fit the timeline in the past.

I will echo others that Lost has found itself again. The only other show that competes with it right now is Battlestar Gallactica. Survivor is great, but if I had to choose, Lost or BSG would win out.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 09:10 AM   #728
Daimyo
College Starter

I also caught the slim cell phone, but I never once suspected it was a flash forward. I just figured they goofed on the phone. Even up to the end when he was going to meet someone I was trying to figure out who it was going to be. I loved the episode. Its too bad the second season was relatively poor because season three ended up on par with season one IMO.
Daimyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 09:13 AM   #729
flounder
High School Varsity

My favorite part:

Alex: "You locked him in a cage! You tried to brainwash him!"
Ben: "I didn't want him to get you pregnant! ... Maybe I overreacted."
flounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 09:36 AM   #730
John Galt
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Briggs View Post
Or he could have shut the dang door from the other side. The wife and I decided that Charlie believes he has to die for Claire to get off the island (because of Desmond's vision) so that's why he shut himself in. This didn't come across very clearly, to me at least.

That's the only way I could make sense of it. Charlie basically accepted his death in a Final Destination sort of way. And at least with this death, a purpose was served.

I really liked the flash-forward. And I took it to mean that Jack's dad is alive (which could explain why he seems to have taken it much worse than the other survivors).

If the funeral really was for Jeremy Bentham, then I have to think that is Ben. Bentham was the creator of basic utilitarian thought. If any character in the series embodies cold, calculating, heartless utilitarianism, then I think that would be Ben. The only other person that would make sense would be Locke, but he already has the name of a famous English political philosopher. That's my thinking anyway.
Old 05-24-2007, 09:37 AM   #731
John Galt
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by flounder View Post
My favorite part:

Alex: "You locked him in a cage! You tried to brainwash him!"
Ben: "I didn't want him to get you pregnant! ... Maybe I overreacted."

That was a great line.
Old 05-24-2007, 10:26 AM   #732
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddzilla View Post
Lindeloff and Cuse said in EW that they knew the first few episodes weren't going to go over well, but they had to do them that way in order to set up the last 16 shows. The quote was something along the lines of "It's like a game of chess, and we've lost our queen, both rooks, and both bishops, and the viewer is telling us we've lost. But we're 9 moves away from check-mating you, and you can't see it. So we'll either lose big or we'll win big." FWIW, I love their confidence. In the past, they've been pretty open when something bombs or fails to live up to expectations, so their comments bode well for the rest of the season.
Check-fucking-mate indeed.

Last night's show blew me away like nothing in the series yet. They pulled stuff from every part of every season and put it together so well, so perfectly, it was genius television. It seemed that every scene was written and directed with such a sense of purpose and urgency that was entirely missing from season 2 and most of the beginning of season 3.

I used to get goose-bumps in season one every once in a while, but last night I lost count. I went from cheering as Hurley mowed through the others in that old busted up van, to laughing when Tom said in mock-resignation "I give up", to chills when Saywer shot him dead and told Hurley "I didn't believe him". Wow. Just wow.

And in the scene showing Jack's apartment in disarray, and the shots of maps and stuff, I had a flashback to Cast Away and *knew* that we'd been duped and we were watching a flash-forward.

The best 2 hours of TV I've watched in a long long time.
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 11:08 AM   #733
Swaggs
Coordinator

I believe Charlie's thinking was probably two-part, in that he may have been resigned to his destiny, but he probably also realized that eyepatch was going to be outside, waiting for them or heading back inside with the pin pulled on a grenade. If eyepatch gets close enough to them, he can blow them up. If they kill him, his finger comes off the pin and he can blow them up.

I think it was a little bit of both. He needed to deake eyepatch into setting it off, but he probably had time to get back out because there was clearly enough space for them to allow tons of water into the station and enough time for them to suit up in the scuba equipment and swim out.

I have wondered why they didn't just cut the power cord that reaches from the island to the station.
Old 05-24-2007, 11:12 AM   #734
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Quote:
I believe Charlie's thinking was probably two-part, in that he may have been resigned to his destiny, but he probably also realized that eyepatch was going to be outside, waiting for them or heading back inside with the pin pulled on a grenade. If eyepatch gets close enough to them, he can blow them up. If they kill him, his finger comes off the pin and he can blow them up.

I think it was a little bit of both. He needed to deake eyepatch into setting it off, but he probably had time to get back out because there was clearly enough space for them to allow tons of water into the station and enough time for them to suit up in the scuba equipment and swim out.

I have wondered why they didn't just cut the power cord that reaches from the island to the station.
Having talked to Desmond a hundred times about his prophecies, Charlie knew that *everything* had to happen in order for the prophecy to be fulfilled. In his visions, Desmond told Charlie that he drowned, so Charlie knew that in order to save Claire and Aaron, he had to drown. So, he drowned.
Old 05-24-2007, 11:13 AM   #735
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

are they still lost?
Chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 11:29 AM   #736
Ajaxab
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Galt View Post
If the funeral really was for Jeremy Bentham, then I have to think that is Ben. Bentham was the creator of basic utilitarian thought. If any character in the series embodies cold, calculating, heartless utilitarianism, then I think that would be Ben. The only other person that would make sense would be Locke, but he already has the name of a famous English political philosopher. That's my thinking anyway.

The Bentham connection also works because of Jeremy Bentham's invention of the panopticon, a jail architecture where prisoners are led to believe they are under constant surveillance. This notion would seem to fit the way the island has been set up for Ben to keep tabs on everything going on.
Ajaxab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 11:31 AM   #737
John Galt
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajaxab View Post
The Bentham connection also works because of Jeremy Bentham's invention of the panopticon, a jail architecture where prisoners are led to believe they are under constant surveillance. This notion would seem to fit the way the island has been set up for Ben to keep tabs on everything going on.

That's true. It is definitely consistent with the monitoring station (of which I forgot the name).
Old 05-24-2007, 12:13 PM   #738
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

LOL - the name of the funeral parlor was "Hoffs/Drawlar" which is an anagram for Flash Forward.
Old 05-24-2007, 12:15 PM   #739
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Dola-

Newspaper clip reads "...from New York City"
+
Funeral in a predominantly black neighborhood
+
Kate is pissed and wouldn't go the the viewing
=
Person in the casket is Michael, who bolted the island and didn't come back to rescue anyone.
Old 05-24-2007, 12:16 PM   #740
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Double Dola -

The last name of the person in the obituary - via a screencap - is "Bentham". Does anyone remember from the episode a few weeks ago when Ben came to the island what his real last name was? When his dad was getting his work closes assigned to him, they said it, and I'm pretty sure it isn't Linus.

EDIT: Just watched the clip - I'm wrong, it is Linus.

Last edited by Toddzilla : 05-24-2007 at 12:23 PM.
Old 05-24-2007, 12:20 PM   #741
John Galt
Pro Starter

Quote:
LOL - the name of the funeral parlor was "Hoffs/Drawlar" which is an anagram for Flash Forward.

Quote:
The last name of the person in the obituary - via a screencap - is "Bentham".

I feel like I've read these details somewhere. If I could only remember where.
Old 05-24-2007, 12:23 PM   #742
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Galt View Post
I feel like I've read these details somewhere. If I could only remember where.
tl;dr
Old 05-24-2007, 02:14 PM   #743
timmynausea
College Starter

Quote:
Having talked to Desmond a hundred times about his prophecies, Charlie knew that *everything* had to happen in order for the prophecy to be fulfilled. In his visions, Desmond told Charlie that he drowned, so Charlie knew that in order to save Claire and Aaron, he had to drown. So, he drowned.

There is some irony in that as the philosopher Desmond David Hume is named after (David Hume) essentially argued against that idea. From wikipedia:

Hume claimed that most people believe that when one event continually follows after another, a connection between the two events makes the second event follow from the first (post hoc ergo propter hoc - after this, therefore, because of this.). Hume challenged this belief in the first book of his Treatise on Human Nature and later in his Enquiry concerning Human Understanding. He noted that although we do perceive the one event following the other, we do not perceive any necessary connection between the two.
timmynausea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 02:50 PM   #744
ThunderingHERD
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmynausea View Post
There is some irony in that as the philosopher Desmond David Hume is named after (David Hume) essentially argued against that idea. From wikipedia:

Hume claimed that most people believe that when one event continually follows after another, a connection between the two events makes the second event follow from the first (post hoc ergo propter hoc - after this, therefore, because of this.). Hume challenged this belief in the first book of his Treatise on Human Nature and later in his Enquiry concerning Human Understanding. He noted that although we do perceive the one event following the other, we do not perceive any necessary connection between the two.

Hume certainly might object to the phrasing "he knew", however I believe his argument was more that cause-and-effect relationships(or any inductive reasoning) cannot be proven(in the strictest sense) a priori and therefore cannot attain certainty. He did, though, say that the tendency to find cause-and-effect relationships was innate, as (I believe this is more or less verbatim) "nature would not trust it to vagaries of reason."

At any rate, Hume wouldn't find Charlie's actions either reasonable or unreasonable, assuming (as I do) that they were driven rather entirely by emotion--quoting (off the top of my head again) from A Treatise of Human Nature: "Nothing can be contrary to reason except that which makes reference to it."; "Reason is and ought only be the slave of the passions and can pretend no other role than to serve and obey them."; "It is not contrary to reason to prefer the destruction of the entire world to the scratching of my finger ... it is not contrary to reason to choose my own destruction to prevent the least uneasiness to a person unknown to me."

I <3 David Hume.

"Everyone's a voyeurist--they're watching me watch them watch me right now."

Last edited by ThunderingHERD : 05-24-2007 at 03:00 PM.
ThunderingHERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 03:07 PM   #745
GoDukes
Mascot

Quote:
Dola-

Newspaper clip reads "...from New York City"
+
Funeral in a predominantly black neighborhood
+
Kate is pissed and wouldn't go the the viewing
=
Person in the casket is Michael, who bolted the island and didn't come back to rescue anyone.

You would have to think Walt would go to his funeral though, no? There may be more to that story that we'll learn, but that's my first thought. Hell, even his ex-wife.
Old 05-24-2007, 03:08 PM   #746
GoDukes
Mascot

Jack mentioned his dad twice:

1. At the hospital when the head guy hit him up about being wasted.
2. At the pharmacy when trying to get a refill on his Oxy.

Both times, he alluded to his father in the present tense. Hm.
Old 05-24-2007, 03:27 PM   #747
ThunderingHERD
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoDukes View Post
You would have to think Walt would go to his funeral though, no? There may be more to that story that we'll learn, but that's my first thought. Hell, even his ex-wife.

My first guess was that the funeral was for Locke--after all, he seems the most likely to have his life go in the shitter (return to paralysis, etc.), and also has no relatives or close friends of which we are awaree. It would also explain why Jack was so tore up over the death--he'd be tormented with guilt and regret after the realization that Locke was right: that he shouldn't have contacted the boat. Of course, Ben is another candidate, but I can't imagine Jack would get so emotional over his death--unless, of course, relations between them change significantly now that there is apparently a new bad guy.

Given the information from the screencaps, though, my current guess is that it's a character we haven't met yet, perhaps someone involved in the operation to take over the island.

As for the Jack's references to his father, I think those were drunk/doped up/distraught ravings. You'd have to postulate a fluxuation in time that stretched way back for his father to be "upstairs" in the hospital--in which case Jack wouldn't have been on the plane in the first place.

"Everyone's a voyeurist--they're watching me watch them watch me right now."

Last edited by ThunderingHERD : 05-24-2007 at 03:29 PM.
ThunderingHERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 04:17 PM   #748
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

nice to know that Kate is even hotter in the future
Old 05-24-2007, 05:01 PM   #749
Pyser
Pro Rookie

and free? guess you arent a murderer anymore if you survive a plane crash
Old 05-24-2007, 06:08 PM   #750
GoDukes
Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderingHERD View Post
My first guess was that the funeral was for Locke--after all, he seems the most likely to have his life go in the shitter (return to paralysis, etc.), and also has no relatives or close friends of which we are awaree. It would also explain why Jack was so tore up over the death--he'd be tormented with guilt and regret after the realization that Locke was right: that he shouldn't have contacted the boat. Of course, Ben is another candidate, but I can't imagine Jack would get so emotional over his death--unless, of course, relations between them change significantly now that there is apparently a new bad guy.

Given the information from the screencaps, though, my current guess is that it's a character we haven't met yet, perhaps someone involved in the operation to take over the island.

Hm. As much as I thought last nite was really "stunning" I don't like that they've told us that Jack & Kate (and presumably others) do get off the island.