Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-21-2011, 01:37 PM   #701
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
Been busy as hell the last week plus so I haven't been active in this thread but I am glad to see Hoke get the gig and equally glad that it was just announced Ravens DC Greg Mattison is the new (kind of) DC at Michigan.

Guy has an incredible college resume and is widely regarded as an incredible recruiter.

Sounds a wee bit excited to be there.

TheWolverine.com - Video and more: Mattison talks defense, recruiting
Old 01-21-2011, 05:53 PM   #702
MrBug708
Head Coach

Wasn't your last DC the DC for two super bowl championships?
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 11:39 AM   #703
MrBug708
Head Coach

Looks like Randy Shannon will be named UCLA's DC
Old 01-25-2011, 04:30 PM   #704
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Major Connecticut donor wants $3 million gift back - ESPN
Quote:
"The primary reason [former UConn coach] Randy [Edsall] took another job is because he couldn't work with you," (UConn donor) Burton wrote to (UConn AD) Hathaway, according to The Day. "You are not qualified to be a Division I AD and I would have fired you a long time ago. You do not have the skills to manage and cultivate new donors."
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 04:35 PM   #705
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

While I know that an AD has to be willing to deal with a lot of crap from his biggest donors, this dude sounds like he's a big enough pain in the ass that it's better for UConn to tell him to hit the road.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 04:49 PM   #706
molson
General Manager

That's a lot of money for UConn, I think they'll try to kiss his ass and come up with a compromise. Maybe they can rename the team the "Fighting Burtons"
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 04:49 PM   #707
Swaggs
Coordinator

Wasn't it Joe Paterno who said to donors: "We want your money, not your advice."
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 05:08 PM   #708
bhlloy
Coordinator

If half of what that guy alleges in his letter is true (about the luxury boxes being empty and the AD not being able to attract donors) it sounds like the school needs the donor a lot more than the AD. Not a big fan of that situation, but money is the bottom line.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 05:15 PM   #709
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
If half of what that guy alleges in his letter is true (about the luxury boxes being empty and the AD not being able to attract donors) it sounds like the school needs the donor a lot more than the AD. Not a big fan of that situation, but money is the bottom line.

While I tend to side with the donor on this at first blush (CPP? Seriously?) on the other end of the finances is the increase of roughly $8m in annual donations to the university itself vs 15 years ago, something that the increased profile of the athletic department is being credited with.
http://www.boston.com/sports/college...spending_more/

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 01-25-2011 at 05:15 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 05:25 PM   #710
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Sounds to me like someone needs to explain to him that he doesn't own the team.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 07:17 PM   #711
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
While I tend to side with the donor on this at first blush (CPP? Seriously?) on the other end of the finances is the increase of roughly $8m in annual donations to the university itself vs 15 years ago, something that the increased profile of the athletic department is being credited with.
UConn scores by spending more - The Boston Globe
15 years ago they were just starting to become a national power in mens and womens basketball, and they were playing D1-AA football (not even particularly well at that). Hathaway was hired in 2003, with the move to the Big East completed and all 3 coaches (Auriemma/Calhoun/Edsall) in place - he's reportedly led to one leaving, and has mutual loathing with another (Calhoun - although really, who doesn't?) On the other side, he is chairing the NCAA Basketball Committee (despite UConn having an open lack of oversight case) and the donor seems like a douche. I thought it was worse at first - that he had published those letters, when in actually they were FOIA'd from the University.
Old 02-13-2011, 11:21 AM   #712
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Texas is back in the market for a defensive coordinator. A little less than a month after returning to Austin, Jerry Gray accepted the Titan's offer to become their new defensive coordinator.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 11:26 AM   #713
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
Texas is back in the market for a defensive coordinator. A little less than a month after returning to Austin, Jerry Gray accepted the Titan's offer to become their new defensive coordinator.

You mean DB Coach right? I thought Diaz took over as DC?
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 11:28 AM   #714
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post

DB coach right? Afraid this means the Trojans will be looking for a DB coach soon as Garza is a likely target to return to Texas.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 12:41 PM   #715
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Yeah, he was the DB coach/assistant Head Coach. Hadn't had enough coffee yet. And, yes, Willie Mack is on the rumored short list to replace him.
Old 02-14-2011, 11:02 AM   #716
DeToxRox
Head Coach

WMG is safe. Duane Akina is apparently leaving Arizona, where he just landed, to come back to UT.

Great for UT if true.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 11:08 AM   #717
cartman
Death Herald

Yep, that is the word here in Austin. Akina is a great DB coach. He has sent a string of great DBs to the NFL. This whole coaching offseason in Austin has been a bit surreal, compared to the relative calm that had been in place since Brown took over. There were all sorts of rumors flying around as to why Akina left in the first place, and all of those are apparently disproven by his return.
Old 12-02-2014, 03:33 PM   #718
Butter
Coordinator

All the Hoke talk in this thread from like Page 8 on is pretty amusing.
Old 12-02-2014, 03:39 PM   #719
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post

Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 03:48 PM   #720
Easy Mac

I'm impressed this website was still updated until November 2013.

I'm less impressed it is no longer updated.

Forcier family, Forcier brothers include, Jason Forcier, Chris Forcier, and Tate Forcier. Jason Graduated Stanford ’09, Chris Forcier UCLA quarterback is now at Furman, while Tate Forcier Michigan quarterback, all born and raised in San Diego California.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 05:23 PM   #721
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

I regret nothing. RR had to go. He was a terrible hire for Michigan. His success at Arizona doesn't change that. Hoke at least had shown signs for turning around other programs and his initial impression was rather likable. Too bad that was the extent of it.

I was thinking about him recently. All part of the mess that RR brought in. Michigan had Mallet and he then was gone after RR got hired. Hire a pro style coach, and I'm guessing Michigan wins more than 4.
Old 12-03-2014, 06:24 AM   #722
Butter
Coordinator

My favorite Tate Forcier memory is the guy that made the image with "The Creation of Adam", but with God reaching down and touching Forcier's finger instead of Adam's.

That was LITERALLY the best.

Last edited by Butter : 12-03-2014 at 06:25 AM.
Butter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 08:49 AM   #723
MrBug708
Head Coach

RR needed to fix the culture at Michigan. He needed time to fix the toxic environment and put his systems into place. It was bad but needed to be done. Hoke benefited from the clean house that RichRod did
Old 12-03-2014, 09:17 AM   #724
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Pretty weird reading back through there.
Last time Michigan needed a HC, Clemson also was looking for an OC and here we are again.

Then read this concerning Chad Morris and remembered how much I agreed with Swaggs, only a few short years later it was more than doubled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
Did he have other job offers? $750K seems pretty ridiculous.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 09:21 AM   #725
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

I still want to mainstream Carr's Curse.
Old 12-03-2014, 09:34 AM   #726
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
I still want to mainstream Carr's Curse.

Request denied.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 03:50 PM   #727
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
I regret nothing. RR had to go. He was a terrible hire for Michigan. His success at Arizona doesn't change that. Hoke at least had shown signs for turning around other programs and his initial impression was rather likable. Too bad that was the extent of it.

Same here. RichRod was a terrible choice at Michigan. Forget about the "Michigan Man" crap, his style did not mesh at a historically power running school like Michigan. I was not all that excited about Hoke either but he at least appeared to be more what they needed to get back on track.

No worries, Arizona will find out in a couple of years when RichRod's repertoire gets old and they remember who they are in Tucson (a basketball school).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud
None of this shit is personal. It's the internet.
RomaGoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 03:55 PM   #728
BillJasper
Pro Starter

I thought Hoke was a good hire. But if Bret Bret Bielema is already looking to move on from Arkansas then Michigan might be a good fit for his style of play.

Report: Nebraska in ‘serious talks’ with Bret Bielema | CollegeFootballTalk
Old 12-03-2014, 05:35 PM   #729
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillJasper View Post
I thought Hoke was a good hire. But if Bret Bret Bielema is already looking to move on from Arkansas then Michigan might be a good fit for his style of play.

Report: Nebraska in ‘serious talks’ with Bret Bielema | CollegeFootballTalk

Why hire a guy unwilling to stay? Pretty damning of Wisconsin if he leaves and then comes back to the Big Ten two years later at a different school.
Old 12-03-2014, 05:36 PM   #730
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Why hire a guy unwilling to stay? Pretty damning of Wisconsin if he leaves and then comes back to the Big Ten two years later at a different school.

Is it damning of Wisconsin or is Bielema turning into a job hopper?
Old 12-03-2014, 05:45 PM   #731
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

A bit of both. I don't see the ceiling for either school as being that different so why leave one to eventually end up at the other?
Old 12-03-2014, 05:47 PM   #732
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
A bit of both. I don't see the ceiling for either school as being that different so why leave one to eventually end up at the other?

Money?
Old 12-03-2014, 05:55 PM   #733
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Which again, seems kind of damning on Wisconsin's part in not keeping their coach paid well enough. Wisconsin was ruling the Big Ten. He should have gotten paid for that. MSU went through a similar ordeal before they caved and finally paid their coaching staff properly.
Old 12-03-2014, 06:14 PM   #734
lungs
Pro Rookie

Quote:
He should have gotten paid for that.

No, not really. Nobody really misses him around here.
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 06:17 PM   #735
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Which again, seems kind of damning on Wisconsin's part in not keeping their coach paid well enough. Wisconsin was ruling the Big Ten. He should have gotten paid for that. MSU went through a similar ordeal before they caved and finally paid their coaching staff properly.

But if they have a budgeted amount for their coaching staff, then I take my hat off to them for holding the line and not being forced into paying insane amounts of money.
Old 12-03-2014, 06:48 PM   #736
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillJasper View Post
But if they have a budgeted amount for their coaching staff, then I take my hat off to them for holding the line and not being forced into paying insane amounts of money.

Except Wisconsin is now paying it's assistants a total of $500k more than they were paying Bielema's assistants while paying Anderson $700k less than Bielema is making at Arkansas.

Whether it be fear of losing yet another coach or something else, Wisconsin crossed any line they had with Bielema on pay for Anderson.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 07:17 PM   #737
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Wisconsin athletics gets about eight million in subsidies from the general fund. How much should a public university spend on coaching salaries?
Old 12-03-2014, 07:26 PM   #738
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaGoth View Post
Same here. RichRod was a terrible choice at Michigan. Forget about the "Michigan Man" crap, his style did not mesh at a historically power running school like Michigan. I was not all that excited about Hoke either but he at least appeared to be more what they needed to get back on track.

Being a power running school doesn't work anymore. Until Michigan learns that they will be stuck in mediocrity.
Old 12-04-2014, 06:25 AM   #739
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Being a power running school doesn't work anymore. Until Michigan learns that they will be stuck in mediocrity.

Stanford and Wisconsin disagree with you.
Old 12-04-2014, 06:39 AM   #740
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:

I would think Michigan has loftier goals.

And the same Stanford that had the best QB prospect since Manning came out?
Old 12-04-2014, 07:30 AM   #741
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:

Yes, the same Stanford that rushed for over 210 yards per game in both 2010 and 2011. If you are Michigan, you should be able to attract some top-notch pro-style QBs to run that system fairly easily.
Old 12-04-2014, 07:44 AM   #742
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I would think Michigan has loftier goals.

Until Kiffin came on board, I'm pretty sure 'Bama was known as a power running team, and they were doing okay. Michigan could also get access to far better talent than Stanford or Wisconsin could. I'm pretty sure a bad recruiting year at Michigan still beats Wisconsin in terms of ranking.
Old 12-04-2014, 07:54 AM   #743
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Oh, I should add that so many of these teams with high flying offenses tend to have not so good of defenses, so a team that has a power running attack can move the ball on them and control the clock. Add in a defense that can slow them down enough, and odds are good you can more than simply hang with them. Just ask Oregon about Stanford.
Old 12-04-2014, 10:52 AM   #744
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Oh, I should add that so many of these teams with high flying offenses tend to have not so good of defenses, so a team that has a power running attack can move the ball on them and control the clock. Add in a defense that can slow them down enough, and odds are good you can more than simply hang with them. Just ask Oregon about Stanford.

Ever watch an Eagles game? There's a reason why high flying offenses seem to have bad defenses (there's a connection, and it is not focusing on one over the other).

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 09:20 PM   #745
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Ever watch an Eagles game? There's a reason why high flying offenses seem to have bad defenses (there's a connection, and it is not focusing on one over the other).

You mean the same system that was used at Oregon, and as I pointed out Stanford has beaten? Yes, the defense puts up bad numbers due to being on the field longer, hence why a power running team should be even better against it.
Old 12-04-2014, 09:34 PM   #746
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Until Kiffin came on board, I'm pretty sure 'Bama was known as a power running team, and they were doing okay.

While the style might be "power", they've been awfully balanced offensively for a while now.

Bama offense last 7 years prior to Kiffin
2013: 248 Pass / 205 Rush
2012: 218 Pass / 226 Rush
2011: 215 Pass / 214 Rush
2010: 261 Pass / 183 Rush
2009: 188 Pass / 215 Rush
2008: 171 Pass / 185 Rush
2007: 225 Pass / 150 Rush
Old 12-04-2014, 09:58 PM   #747
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

So you agree, they can succeed only if they get Harbaugh as the head coach?

J/K
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 07:14 AM   #748
Butter
Coordinator

I wouldn't mind Harbaugh to UM that much, as I feel that would end pretty spectacularly.

Much as I am waiting for the Urban Meyer era to blow up at some point.
Old 12-05-2014, 07:21 AM   #749
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Yes, the same Stanford that rushed for over 210 yards per game in both 2010 and 2011. If you are Michigan, you should be able to attract some top-notch pro-style QBs to run that system fairly easily.

But they were able to rush like that because of the QB. I guess if Michigan is going to get the next Andrew Luck you can win with those kind of rushing numbers, or if they can recruit enough SEC type guys on defense.

While Stanford and Wisconsin are solid teams, I would think Michigan has title asperations, not finish in the top 15 and play on New Years Day as their goals.

3 yards and a cloud of dust just doesn't work anymore.

IMO
Old 12-05-2014, 07:25 PM   #750
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Other than 1 year with Russell Wilson Wisconsin has achieved that top 15 status with quarterbacks who were zero threat and what, 1 NFL WR? I don't think power running is a necessity, but I don't see why it isn't an option.

I also think Mississippi State/Florida under Dan Mullen, and Auburn when Can Newton was there are power running teams at their base. Sure they dress it up with misdirection but the base threat is the RB or QB running up the middle for 5+ yards.