Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-04-2013, 03:38 PM   #701
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
KC and Bowe have agreed to a 5-year deal, per Schefter, which allows them to tag Brandon Albert.

Also signed Dustin Colquitt to a 5 year, 18.5M deal. That guy is a huge weapon when it comes to field position. Glad to see they didn't let him go and think they could sign some rookie to do the same job. Hoping they do the same in the place kicking department.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 03:54 PM   #702
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Bill Barnwell ‏@billbarnwell

Chiefs punts under Colquitt have been worth 35.7 points since 2005 (per @fb_outsiders). Not that Colquitt is bad, but that's a princely sum.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 04:13 PM   #703
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I don't understand that stat.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 04:20 PM   #704
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I'm assuming it has to deal with field position and whatnot. If he's impacting the game at less than 5 points per season, that's a laughable sum they agreed to pay him.

From outsiders-
Quote:
For punters, we measure gross punt value by analyzing the what the net value of every punt would be if the other team had a league-average return on that punt. A "league-average" return is based on the length of the punt and the yard line where it is caught. We don't have measures of hang time, and of course the net value of an unreturnable punt doesn't need to be adjusted for a "league-average" return. But this allows us to separate the value of punters from coverage teams without over-valuing punters who get high gross punting averages by kicking touchbacks that don't improve field position as much as shorter kicks downed inside the 20. We also adjust for weather and altitude... which, as you will see, ends up being particularly important in 2009.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 04:46 PM   #705
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

There's no way that even remotely reflects Colquitt's value. That guy pins teams back all the time. Now one could argue that he's had a lot of practice over the past couple of years doing that and he better be good, but he's a game changer when it comes to field position. Just as much as he pins people back, he's also changed field position when he's kicking from deep where he boots a 60-70 yarder without getting a touch back.
Old 03-04-2013, 05:15 PM   #706
Atocep
Coordinator

The chiefs spending 3.7 million on a punter is like a 100 loss mlb team dropping 8-9 million on a LOOGY.

It's a terrible investment for any team, but a laughable one for the chiefs.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 05:17 PM   #707
Danny
Head Coach

As someone who is a fan of the team with the best punter of the last decade, they dont really add that much value.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 05:20 PM   #708
TRO
College Prospect

One thing I don't like about their computation:
"...and of course the net value of an unreturnable punt doesn't need to be adjusted for a "league-average" return."

Unreturnable punts have a return length of Zero. That is more valuable than a return value of any positive yardage. I have no idea how that changes the equation in this instance, but you can't just throw out the zeros.
Old 03-04-2013, 05:51 PM   #709
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post
As someone who is a fan of the team with the best punter of the last decade, they dont really add that much value.

I didn't realize you were a 49ers fan?
Old 03-04-2013, 06:28 PM   #710
Danny
Head Coach

Shane Lecher was the inspiration for the title of the movie here comes the boom
Old 03-04-2013, 06:35 PM   #711
RedKingGold
College Starter

Because anytime you can overpay three key players from a 2-14 team, you just have to do it.
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 06:50 PM   #712
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Also signed Dustin Colquitt to a 5 year, 18.5M deal. That guy is a huge weapon when it comes to field position. Glad to see they didn't let him go and think they could sign some rookie to do the same job. Hoping they do the same in the place kicking department.

Still have a ways to go to run with the big dogs of overpaying punters

Performance Based Value: Kickers and Punters | ProFootballFocus.com
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 09:27 PM   #713
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

49ers decide NOT to franchise Goldson. Interesting move, as I'm sure there are a bunch of teams who would like to have him. Part of me wonders if it's not a good thing the 49ers have (seemingly) less of a chance to keep him now - despite his incredible hits and great run defense, he's a liability in coverage and everyone saw how well that worked for them in the playoffs.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 09:31 PM   #714
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedKingGold View Post
Because anytime you can overpay three key players from a 2-14 team, you just have to do it.

It's frightening to think of what the record would have been with a mediocre punter. He practically saved their season single footedly.
M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 07:11 AM   #715
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
I think perhaps the Kevin Kolb trade with my beloved Cardinals kind of influenced this trade (done by Andy Reid as well). Eagles got a 2nd rounder and Cromartie for Kolb-who had a lot less experience than Smith does. And the Cards were rumored to be interested in Smith as well, so that probably drove the price up a bit. Can't believe the 49ers would trade Smith inside the division to a team that could only get better with Smith over the current crop in Arizona (though I still hold out hope for Kolb)

As for the 49ers having a large number of picks-Darrell Revis is rumored to be on the trade block with the Jets-maybe they give up some of those picks to get him?

I should work for ESPN-they have been talking on Mike and Mike today about Revis possibly being traded to the 49'ers. Looks like the Falcons could be interested too.

Atlanta Falcons reportedly interested in Darrelle Revis - NFL.com
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 09:48 AM   #716
Logan
Head Coach

Niners have been strongly denying interest for nearly a week already.
Old 03-06-2013, 11:14 AM   #717
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Niners have been strongly denying interest for nearly a week already.

Yes yes they all do...until the trade goes through. They really might not be interested in him for all I know, it just seemed like a good "fit" given how good their team is right now, and a potential need for Revis's position there.
Old 03-06-2013, 11:23 AM   #718
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Yes yes they all do...until the trade goes through. They really might not be interested in him for all I know, it just seemed like a good "fit" given how good their team is right now, and a potential need for Revis's position there.

I think he is saying it's a surprise that it took you listening to Mike and Mike this morning to discover the rumors of the Niners' interest, since it has been a common theme on Sportscenter and on the radio airwaves for several days now (Niners' denial notwithstanding).

All that said, you did make that call before the rumors started, so good going there.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 02:26 PM   #719
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
I think he is saying it's a surprise that it took you listening to Mike and Mike this morning to discover the rumors of the Niners' interest, since it has been a common theme on Sportscenter and on the radio airwaves for several days now (Niners' denial notwithstanding).

All that said, you did make that call before the rumors started, so good going there.

Heh yep that was all I was doing-"taking credit" if the Revis to 49ers trade ends up being true or poking fun at myself if they don't come true. Hadn't heard anything about such a trade being a possibility when I made the comments until I watched Mike and Mike this morning.
Old 03-06-2013, 03:11 PM   #720
JediKooter
Coordinator

Now that Norv Turner and AJ Smith are gone, I don't have really much to bitch about or say in regards to the Chargers. I'm definitely underwhelmed by the choice of McCoy for head coach though. Time will tell, but, I'm not holding my breath.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 08:43 PM   #721
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

Something I just thought of with San Francisco needing a backup to Kapernick... and one who is athletic enough to run the same offense. Two names of QB's I would not be too surprised if they ended up as Harbaugh reclamation projects:

1. Vince Young

2. Jamarcus Russell

Young is putting himself out there in hopes of finding something. He is saying he's matured, blah blah blah. Worst case scenario is they bring him in, kick the tires & decide to go with someone else.

The biggest bust in the last 20 years would be about the same, but with a big "fuck you" across the bay if he works out. In either case it would be a backup who has actually experienced more of the NFL than the starter, but without the hassle of the fanbase screaming for the backup when Kapernick has a bad game or two (which will happen.)
Old 03-06-2013, 08:46 PM   #722
Danny
Head Coach

Lol you list russel as athletic because he's black? He's fat and unathletic
Old 03-06-2013, 08:52 PM   #723
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Well he is a physical specimen of sorts
Old 03-06-2013, 09:23 PM   #724
RedKingGold
College Starter

For a backup, 49ers really like Scott Tolzien.

Still, if they want a backup, I think a solid candidate might be Ryan Fitzpatrick (once he's cut by the Bills).
Old 03-06-2013, 09:25 PM   #725
RedKingGold
College Starter

BTW, I really hope the 49ers don't get Revis, and I don't think it will happen either. As said a few pages ago, he just doesn't seem to "fit" what the team is looking for. I think people speculating on the Revis-49ers interest are just being lazy. The team has an obvious need at CB, Revis has a reputation for being the best CB, ergo, perfect fit! It's not that simple though, and I think the team is much more likely to add a cheaper veteran and draft pick at CB then sell the farm for Revis.
Old 03-07-2013, 09:31 AM   #726
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Amazed by all the changes that continue to happen with the Chiefs.

-Eric Winston released. Some twitter rumors that an injury issue is the reason behind it.

-Brandon Albert currently being shopped by the Chiefs for a trade. Sounds like they're looking to refill some draft picks since they're giving away their second rounder this year for Alex Smith.

They're either targeting free agents or looking to take Joeckel with the #1 draft pick. Interested to see what they decide to fill those positions with in the end.
Old 03-07-2013, 09:34 AM   #727
Logan
Head Coach

I read that Winston was released due to his zone blocking skills not fitting with Reid's scheme.
Old 03-07-2013, 10:00 AM   #728
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
I read that Winston was released due to his zone blocking skills not fitting with Reid's scheme.

I'm not sure there is a firm answer at this point. Like I said, rumors all over the place, but I'm guessing we won't get the real answer.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 03-07-2013 at 10:00 AM.
Old 03-07-2013, 10:09 AM   #729
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedKingGold View Post
For a backup, 49ers really like Scott Tolzien.

Still, if they want a backup, I think a solid candidate might be Ryan Fitzpatrick (once he's cut by the Bills).

I don't see the Bills cutting Fitz. He will restructure and reduce the cap hit, right now that hit is 10 mil, and it will still hit whether they cut him or not. So the issue is the 3 mil bonus due on the 12th or 13th...

I just don't see them going into the season with Jackson, a rookie and possible another rookie or a low end FA...
Old 03-07-2013, 10:16 AM   #730
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
I'm not sure there is a firm answer at this point. Like I said, rumors all over the place, but I'm guessing we won't get the real answer.

The answer will probably come when he lands somewhere else: good money or ZBS - system issue. Short contract that's performance based - injury.
Old 03-07-2013, 11:01 AM   #731
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Guy I'm interested in seeing what happens to him is Chase Daniel. He's looked good in preseason and mop-up duty for the Saints. Don't know if other teams might see him as worthy of a decent contract to bring in to push the starter and maybe they strike gold with him. Or, if they just figure that anyone would put up good numbers running a Sean Payton offense in preseason.

I'd like the Saints to keep him around as a backup who knows the system, so I hope that it is the latter.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 11:57 AM   #732
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

I'd love Cincinnati to pick him up to help push Dalton and give us a strong backup in case Dalton goes down. If he can be had for less than 3 mil a year, I'd sign him in a heartbeat for that offense.

FUCK EA
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 12:46 PM   #733
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

Quote:

Not at all... he moves pretty good for a 487 lb QB!

(Seriously, if he gets down to 250-ish he'll show he's got a bit of athleticism. Back at the combine he ran a 4.83 & weighed 265. He's supposedly training with some good people.)

By the way.. when the fuck did I bring up the melanin content of anybody's skin? I'd have considered Tebow, but he's a headache as a backup. And possibly a worse QB than either Russell or Young.
Old 03-07-2013, 03:09 PM   #734
Logan
Head Coach

Good article on the Revis situation.

New York Jets face hard decision regarding Darrelle Revis' future - NFL.com

Here's the key part where I feel the stance of "Niners need a CB. Revis is the best CB. Add him = championship" is misguided:

Quote:
"I'm not gonna pay him, or any corner, what Nnamdi (Asomugha) was making in Oakland, that's absurd," said one NFC personnel director, referencing the three-year deal that paid Asomugha $15 million per season. "I know it's a passing league, but the great teams -- New England, Green Bay -- they spread you out, find a mismatch, and bleed you to death.
Old 03-07-2013, 08:38 PM   #735
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

To noone's surprise, the NFL owners were hypocritical liars during the lockout.

Leaked NFL Documents: While Owner Cried Hardship, Carolina Panthers Had $112 Million Profit Over Two Years
Old 03-07-2013, 08:42 PM   #736
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Jerry Richardson is such a dick.
Old 03-09-2013, 11:33 AM   #737
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Harrison cut to make Steelers cap compliant. Were about $1.4m over, now about $5m under.
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 11:39 AM   #738
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:

I would love to see Revis and a Harbough together. Would be like matter and Anti matter
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 07:51 PM   #739
stevew
Hall Of Famer

The Dolphins look to sign Mike Wallace. Despite what most moron Steeler fans think, he's a really good player. If it's as simple as him just being a track runner, then how come almost every other team lacks the guy to take the top off of the defense. There are plenty of guys faster than Wallace. The Steelers pass game will suffer going forward. His head wasn't in the game last year due to getting hurt by the tender and owner collusion. The Niners drafted a WR who caught like 3 passes. They should have given their pick up for Wallace if hindsight is 20/20.

Last edited by stevew : 03-09-2013 at 07:52 PM.
Old 03-09-2013, 07:54 PM   #740
stevew
Hall Of Famer

James Harrison got cut as well. Towards the end of the season he got healthy and was pretty good. Health isn't guaranteed but he could be a productive signing for someone.
Old 03-10-2013, 11:48 AM   #741
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
The Niners drafted a WR who caught like 3 passes.

A.J. Jenkins? Targeted once, he dropped the pass.

Not ready to give up on him yet, but very interesting that late in the year after all the injuries to the WR corps (Manningham, Kyle Williams) he STILL couldn't find the field. The thing that gives me hope is that LaMichael James didn't see the field until well after he could have been useful, and he was immediately an impact player.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 12:16 PM   #742
Logan
Head Coach

Harvin traded to Seattle for draft picks, pending a physical. I'm most interested in hearing if he's signing a new deal with them.
Old 03-11-2013, 12:32 PM   #743
mckerney
Coordinator

Fuck.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 12:34 PM   #744
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
pending a physical

With Harvin, you never know if that might actually be a big deal.

I like to see Seattle being willing to make a move. They were close last season. Adding another playmaker seems like a nobrainer.

Not sure why Minn was so eager to trade him.

On a (barely) related note, I hope that the Saints sign Amendola. The Saints could use a versatile weapon, and he seems like he could give 85% of what Harvin or Welker could give an offense without breaking the bank.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 12:35 PM   #745
mckerney
Coordinator

Wish I could say I couldn't believe they'd do that. Can't wait until the Wilfs clear out this front office and finally hire a real GM.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 12:36 PM   #746
spleen1015
Coordinator

Problem with Amendola is he can't stay healthy.
Old 03-11-2013, 12:38 PM   #747
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
With Harvin, you never know if that might actually be a big deal.

I like to see Seattle being willing to make a move. They were close last season. Adding another playmaker seems like a nobrainer.

Not sure why Minn was so eager to trade him.

On a (barely) related note, I hope that the Saints sign Amendola. The Saints could use a versatile weapon, and he seems like he could give 85% of what Harvin or Welker could give an offense without breaking the bank.

He wanted a very big contract.
Old 03-11-2013, 01:06 PM   #748
QuikSand
lolzcat

Specifics pending, you really have to love the addition of Harvin there. That's a really interesting team to watch come together (and I don't really root for or against them).
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 01:20 PM   #749
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

I guess the Vikings figure why waste money on a deep threat when you don't have the QB to throw to one.
Old 03-11-2013, 01:21 PM   #750
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
Specifics pending, you really have to love the addition of Harvin there. That's a really interesting team to watch come together (and I don't really root for or against them).

Just as a WR with Wilson throwing to him, yes. But putting him in the backfield and having him run read options with Wilson? Yikes.

These SF-SEA games are going to be fantastic.

Last edited by Logan : 03-11-2013 at 01:21 PM.