Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-10-2022, 07:57 PM   #701
rjolley
College Starter

So, if those 2 were valid pass interference calls, why wasn't the one yesterday before the bad Brady roughing the passer call?
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2022, 08:36 PM   #702
PilotMan
Head Coach

The NFL and their roughing the passer calls really, really ruin the game. It's a total joke. It's just bullshit.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

Last edited by PilotMan : 10-10-2022 at 08:36 PM.
PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2022, 08:46 PM   #703
bronconick
College Starter

NFL officials saw all the stupid college football targeting calls and said "Hold my beer."
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2022, 09:17 PM   #704
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Just awful. "Screw physics, do the impossible" appears to be the motto.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2022, 10:21 PM   #705
stevew
Hall Of Famer

How do they miss “2 feet in” that bad on the Adams non catch? Raiders getting a supersized timeout for this 4th and 1

Last edited by stevew : 10-10-2022 at 10:21 PM.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2022, 02:28 AM   #706
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
I feel the same way about Will Levis. I think his up-up side is maybe Andy Dalton. I know he's big and strong, etc., but he fumbles a ton and I'm just not sure I see it. But that's why I'm paid to just sit home and post at FOFC instead of advise teams.
I'm not even sure Levis is the most overrated SEC QB - I still think that's Anthony Richardson. In contrast Will Rogers doesn't have the arm strength you can dream on but idk, he's accurate, reads the field we'll, has a quick release & avoids mistakes... Idk why he's not getting a little more hype.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2022, 02:39 AM   #707
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Davante Adams will be lighter at least 100,000 I bet, if he doesn't get a game off for shoving what appeared to be a cameraman or something on their way into the lockerroom
Old 10-11-2022, 06:39 AM   #708
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
The NFL and their roughing the passer calls really, really ruin the game. It's a total joke. It's just bullshit.

Not that the NFL gives a shit about social media, but I’ve never seen this kind of anger across all the whole spectrum of the game like there is right now.

Ultimately they know that we will still watch either way and more people will watch a match up with big name QBs than anybody else though, this is a feature and not a bug. Integrity of the sport be damned
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2022, 06:50 AM   #709
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

The inability to admit a mistake hurts credibility.

If Jerome Boger had said something like "We are sorry. That was a bad call. At the time, and from my angle, it looked like he threw him unnecessarily to the ground. Having seen the replay, we know that it not the case. It was a mistake, and we regret it," then there would at least be a sense that the league understood the issue.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2022, 06:51 AM   #710
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

dola: Along those lines, I know that the officials are reviewed by the league office after the games. I think that the league should make those reviews public. Sunshine is the best way to maintain credibility.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2022, 06:55 AM   #711
bhlloy
Coordinator

Again, I just think that credibility is way down the list of things they care about, and I don’t think they see these kinds of calls as problematic or needing apologies. Two marketable QBs playing each other in the playoffs and Super Bowl and the impact it has on the ads they can sell and the next round of TV negotiations is what matters.
Old 10-11-2022, 08:20 AM   #712
tzach
High School JV

this is a tough one -- with roughing the passer / unnecessary roughness being a judgement call and the referee being explicitly instructed to err on the side of player safety and throw a flag, there's nothing that can be done as is.

it reminds me of the reaction after the missed pass interference call against the saints in the NFC championship game some years ago. they may still make it reviewable this offseason to let NY have a look at the replay, but i'd suspect very few calls would be overturned.
tzach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2022, 08:24 AM   #713
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Players are bigger and stronger than ever. Competent quarterbacks are harder to find. I think they're going to error on the side of caution here.

If it weren't for the quarterbacks who can run the ball well, they'd probably consider putting a red shirt on them.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2022, 08:31 AM   #714
tzach
High School JV

on the qbs, pickett looked as good as could be expected in that situation -- fallng 20+ pts behind early on, on the road, tough environment, ultra-motivated, SB-caliber opponent that got themselves smashed by PIT last season. but he needs an NFL-caliber OC and play caller. Matt Canada's offense is subpar to say the least.

russell wilson may have lost some athleticism, but i'd expect him to be able to adapt his game as he ages. at least he has the talent to do that. but he also needs a real NFL OC and play caller -- nathaniel hackett is not really suited for that, and seems even more lost as a HC.

Last edited by tzach : 10-11-2022 at 08:31 AM.
tzach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2022, 05:56 PM   #715
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
The inability to admit a mistake hurts credibility.

If Jerome Boger had said something like "We are sorry. That was a bad call. At the time, and from my angle, it looked like he threw him unnecessarily to the ground. Having seen the replay, we know that it not the case. It was a mistake, and we regret it," then there would at least be a sense that the league understood the issue.
Does admitting mistakes like that open them up to lawsuits from gamblers etc? I would think not because the NBA has the last 2 minute report, but I've never followed up on some of the more insane lawsuits.

Btw David Tepper is the gift that keeps on giving. When asked about the lack of follow through given the plethora of coaches/GM's/President's & pulling out of the $800m practice facility leaving it abandoned he claimed Charlotte FC is revitalizing the city (had nothing to do with Covid restrictions ending) & he brought the concept of live music to Charlotte. What a clown https://defector.com/david-tepper-ca...-rhule-firing/

Last edited by BishopMVP : 10-11-2022 at 05:58 PM.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2022, 06:25 PM   #716
Danny
Head Coach

He made up for the call with the defensive holding on the field goal which hasn't been called in 7 years
Danny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2022, 06:41 PM   #717
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Tie a flag around the QB's waist and change the rules so that a) the player (QB) with the flag can't advance past the line of scrimmage, b) you can't touch him except to grab the flag and c) he's down if you get the flag.

If you're dead-set on protecting the QBs, just go all the way and be done with it.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2022, 06:55 PM   #718
Ksyrup

Just have the "eye in the sky" immediately review all QB contact either to reverse flags that shouldn't have been or throw a flag that should have been. To me, it's not that difficult. And write some discretion into the rule so that common sense prevails - like, if there's a fumble, you can't expect a guy to brace himself for a fall so as not to land on the QB and not expect him to grab the loose ball. Or, just based on physics, some hits/falls are unavoidable. The rules are supposed to outlaw unnecessary contact, not hard contact.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 10-11-2022 at 06:56 PM.
Old 10-12-2022, 01:17 PM   #719
Thomkal
Head Coach

So looks like I was wrong about the Cards releasing that choking kicker-they signed him to the active roster for another week. Surely just about any other kicker looking for work would be better than this guy I think?
Old 10-12-2022, 06:28 PM   #720
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
Again, I just think that credibility is way down the list of things they care about, and I don’t think they see these kinds of calls as problematic or needing apologies. Two marketable QBs playing each other in the playoffs and Super Bowl and the impact it has on the ads they can sell and the next round of TV negotiations is what matters.

For the NFL, a AFC championship game QB match up of Case Keenum of the Buffalo Bills versus Chad Henne or Shane Buechele of the Kansas City Chiefs lacks all sorts of credibility.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic View Post
Players are bigger and stronger than ever. Competent quarterbacks are harder to find. I think they're going to error on the side of caution here.

If it weren't for the quarterbacks who can run the ball well, they'd probably consider putting a red shirt on them.

Putting them in the red shirt would be a plus IMO.

Quote:
Just have the "eye in the sky" immediately review all QB contact either to reverse flags that shouldn't have been or throw a flag that should have been. To me, it's not that difficult. And write some discretion into the rule so that common sense prevails - like, if there's a fumble, you can't expect a guy to brace himself for a fall so as not to land on the QB and not expect him to grab the loose ball. Or, just based on physics, some hits/falls are unavoidable. The rules are supposed to outlaw unnecessary contact, not hard contact.

I don't think that last part is true. I am pretty sure that penalties have been thrown for a defender cleanly hitting a QB too hard.

I think it is obvious that the NFL does not want its QB's to be hit especially its stars. However we can't forget that part of the sell is the bravery of the QB standing in the pocket while the crazed defenders are trying to tear them apart. The image is of the guy who keeps his eyes down the field and waits until the last second to throw the ball knowing that Aaron Donald is about to blast him from the blind side. I have no idea how they continue to balance those two sides.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2022, 07:42 PM   #721
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
However we can't forget that part of the sell is the bravery of the QB standing in the pocket while the crazed defenders are trying to tear them apart. ... I have no idea how they continue to balance those two sides.

I don't think that's part of the sell anymore, that they aren't interested in balancing them.

They're looking for NBA three-point culture, fuck defense and jump shots and foul shooting.

Chicks dig the long ball.
Old 10-12-2022, 11:47 PM   #722
stevew
Hall Of Famer

The Dolphins removed their ping pong table from the locker room area.

Watch out NFL, this is sewious!
Old 10-12-2022, 11:50 PM   #723
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Coach Mike McDaniel said he was "pretty pumped" about the decision, not necessarily because he thought the table should be removed, but because it was an example of his captains taking ownership of the team -- something he said he challenges them to do as leaders.

"That, to me, is leadership. To me, leadership is acting, not talking," McDaniel said.

!!!!!
Old 10-13-2022, 07:13 AM   #724
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
I don't think that's part of the sell anymore, that they aren't interested in balancing them.

They're looking for NBA three-point culture, fuck defense and jump shots and foul shooting.

Chicks dig the long ball.
I am far from a basketball expert, but I thought the large emphasis on three pointers came about because of analytics. Jump shots inside the three point lines miss almost as often as three pointers yet yield less points. Points in the paint are good because they have a much higher success rate.
GrantDawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2022, 07:38 AM   #725
cuervo72
Head Coach

Funny; the Guardian has an article on the 3-pointer today: Loved, loathed and everywhere: how the three-pointer came to dominate the NBA | NBA | The Guardian
Old 10-13-2022, 07:50 AM   #726
bronconick
College Starter

Dan Snyder hired PI's to get dirt on NFL owners, league office, and Goodell.
Old 10-13-2022, 09:25 AM   #727
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronconick View Post
Dan Snyder hired PI's to get dirt on NFL owners, league office, and Goodell.

I think I am pretty creative but I am struggling to think of what dirt he could get that would upset the status quo. Maybe human trafficking?
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2022, 09:28 AM   #728
bhlloy
Coordinator

If they can find the spot in the desert where he buried all those missing hookers, it would probably be pretty bad for Jerry Jones.
Old 10-13-2022, 09:41 AM   #729
cuervo72
Head Coach

Wonder if any of them are still into racketeering.
Old 10-13-2022, 02:33 PM   #730
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

The strangest allegation is that he apparently engineered the Carson Wentz trade.

Wentz is the prototypical game manager. Apparently a bad fit with Ron Rivera, since Wentz been pretty bad so far this season and Rivera was just in the news for trashing him.

What happens next? Snyder apparently knows where all the NFL bodies are buried, and not all of them are in Florida nail salons, so the owners aren't going to force him to sell. Yet if it's true he forced Wentz on the team, that's a fairly serious violation of his suspension.
Old 10-13-2022, 07:17 PM   #731
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

How do we make our awful alternate orange jerseys even worse? I know, let's add orange helmets!
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2022, 07:22 PM   #732
Ksyrup

This game has lived up to its billing in the first few minutes.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 10-13-2022 at 07:22 PM.
Old 10-13-2022, 07:22 PM   #733
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Those Bears outfits are horrible! Almost surprised Al showed up this week.

Again, I notice that the Amazon sound mix makes the crowd sound absolutely dead.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2022, 07:27 PM   #734
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
Again, I notice that the Amazon sound mix makes the crowd sound absolutely dead.

Dude, it's in Chicago. Bears fans have been dead inside for a long long time.
Old 10-13-2022, 07:40 PM   #735
cuervo72
Head Coach

I guess that's why the Bears run in the red zone so much.
Old 10-13-2022, 07:52 PM   #736
Ksyrup

Perfect play wide open in the EZ and a 5 yard overthrow.
Old 10-13-2022, 07:53 PM   #737
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Good lord Fields is terrible
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2022, 07:54 PM   #738
cuervo72
Head Coach

Ok, maybe running doesn't work either.
Old 10-13-2022, 08:02 PM   #739
thesloppy
Pro Starter

O boy that Colts Broncos game is starting to look pretty good.
Old 10-13-2022, 08:08 PM   #740
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Nothing like overthrowing a bomb on 3rd and 3 when you've got a guy wide open right at the sticks.
Old 10-13-2022, 08:22 PM   #741
Edward64
Head Coach

A little boring ...
Edward64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2022, 08:25 PM   #742
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Refs with two questionable PI calls ... I think they just want to move the ball so somebody can get points on the board.
Old 10-13-2022, 08:27 PM   #743
bronconick
College Starter

If the last two weeks of TNF was an animal, someone would shoot it to put it out of its misery
Old 10-13-2022, 08:27 PM   #744
Ksyrup

All we're missing is a missed/blocked FG...
Old 10-13-2022, 08:28 PM   #745
Ksyrup

Dammit!
Old 10-13-2022, 08:53 PM   #746
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

For those of you who have the pleasure of not regularly watching the Bears, and thinking this is one of the worst games you've seen all year, let me remind you - this is basically every Bears game for the last 20 years.
Old 10-13-2022, 09:59 PM   #747
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
All we're missing is a missed/blocked FG...

Enjoy!
Old 10-13-2022, 10:18 PM   #748
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Not ideal, coming up with 0 points in three possessions inside the opponent's five-yard line. Not to mention the muffed punt.

I think they need a ping-pong table.
Old 10-13-2022, 10:29 PM   #749
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic View Post
I think they need a ping-pong table.

I snort laughed.
Old 10-13-2022, 10:31 PM   #750
Edward64
Head Coach

I'm not a fan and don't keep up. So what is the root-cause problem, coaching?

Last edited by Edward64 : 10-13-2022 at 10:32 PM.
Edward64 is online now   Reply With Quote