Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-09-2012, 08:36 PM   #701
tarcone
Coordinator

Directv is having a free preview of their MLB package. For some reason the Angels and Twins are blacked out in St Louis.
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 08:51 PM   #702
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Juan Francisco has three errors through five innings innings for the Braves at Houston.

Any wonder Chipper is expected to come off the DL and go into the lineup just 15 days after surgery?
Old 04-09-2012, 08:51 PM   #703
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
Cole Hamels and Matt Garza will be nice Dodgers next year

Cmon, Ned Colleti is still your GM. It will be a 3 year contract for Jaime Moyer instead.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 08:55 PM   #704
tarcone
Coordinator

7-1 Cards!
Liking the team.
Old 04-09-2012, 09:43 PM   #705
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapshoot View Post
Cmon, Ned Colleti is still your GM. It will be a 3 year contract for Jaime Moyer instead.

Was Moyer ever a Giant?
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 09:50 PM   #706
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I know it is early but I am really excited about these mets. Nice to see them. Playing loose.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 10:09 PM   #707
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

The last time the Braves started the season 0-4 was 1988. That team finished the season 54-106, 39.5 games out of first ... Just sayin
Old 04-09-2012, 10:11 PM   #708
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

The Braves somehow look worse than they did last September. Maybe the whole "let's not do anything to improve the team in the offseason" strategy was flawed.

Last edited by Big Fo : 04-09-2012 at 10:12 PM.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 10:28 PM   #709
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
The last time the Braves started the season 0-4 was 1988. That team finished the season 54-106, 39.5 games out of first ... Just sayin

Was this the "Goodness Gracious, one Crazy summer!" year?
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 10:39 PM   #710
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
7-1 Cards!
Liking the team.

Very early.. but we seemed balanced. If we can only stay healthy.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 10:59 PM   #711
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
Was Moyer ever a Giant?

Point well-taken. Lets say Jeremy Affeldt, 3 / 27 as closer.
Old 04-09-2012, 11:24 PM   #712
fantom1979
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post

I would be shocked if the Braves are crappy this year. If someone would have asked me 12 months ago to name the top five teams with the brightest future, the Braves would have been near the top. Solid middle of the lineup with Heyward, Freeman, McCann, Prado, and Uggla. Excellent young SP like Hanson, Beachy, Jurrjens, Teheran, Minor, and Delgado. Not to forget one of the best backend bullpens with Kimbrel, Venters, and O'Flaherty.

On paper, they look very good. You would think they should finish with more than 89 wins this year.

But if Heyward goes into the shitter again,
and Uggla bats .180 in the first half again,
and Teheran turns out to be a AAAA pitcher

then who knows how many they will win.
fantom1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 11:30 PM   #713
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas_lov View Post
Anyone watching Texas-Seattle? Yu doesn't look like he'll get out of the 1st inning.

I was there. It was pretty tense. But he did a great job settling in after the horrible start, and the offense caught fire and made up the deficit.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint

Last edited by cartman : 04-10-2012 at 12:18 AM.
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 11:34 PM   #714
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
I was there. It was pretty tense. But he did a great job settling in after the horrible start, and the offense caught fire and made up the deficit.

Watching on TV you could certainly see the electric stuff. His fastball has a lot of natural downward movement. Going to need to get sharper with his command however. He cant be down 2-0 on every batter.

I can imagine there was much excitement at the park tonight with your new prize on the hill? Did you take down one of the $26 hot dogs?

Last edited by jbergey22 : 04-09-2012 at 11:37 PM.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 11:35 PM   #715
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Nick Punto leading off for Boston? OK.

Sounds about right, I had him lead off with my really crappy Strat-o-Matic baseball team...
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 12:16 AM   #716
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
Watching on TV you could certainly see the electric stuff. His fastball has a lot of natural downward movement. Going to need to get sharper with his command however. He cant be down 2-0 on every batter.

I can imagine there was much excitement at the park tonight with your new prize on the hill? Did you take down one of the $26 hot dogs?

Yeah, we were saying the same thing. If he could retire 10 straight guys after getting behind in the count, imagine how it will be when he can figure out how to get ahead of batters. It was really impressive to see him not get lost and frustrated after the horrible start.

Alas, the Champion Dog will have to wait for another trip. There was a 30 minute wait for them tonight.
Old 04-10-2012, 06:49 AM   #717
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Watched the first couple of innings of the Orioles/Yankees. Matusz is still a mess. He pitched just like Westbrook last night - aiming the ball at spots, missing high, and not following through. He literally looked like he was trrying to throw darts with his follow-through (if you can call it that).
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 07:05 AM   #718
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Yeah, we were saying the same thing. If he could retire 10 straight guys after getting behind in the count, imagine how it will be when he can figure out how to get ahead of batters.

Still waiting on this from Dice-K
Old 04-10-2012, 09:32 AM   #719
Ksyrup

Interesting. Kinda strange, though. Maybe an Orange Zone? It's not like just because you've got a runner on second that a score is imminent.

John Ourand@Ourand_SBJ
SBD: MLB is launching a RedZone-style channel tonight on Time Warner Cable, DirecTV, Dish Network and Bright House.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 04-10-2012, 09:48 AM   #720
Ksyrup

Even stranger.

Quote:
Catch Strike Zone on Tuesday and Friday evenings at 7 ET, starting April 10
Old 04-10-2012, 09:50 AM   #721
Easy Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantom1979 View Post
I would be shocked if the Braves are crappy this year. If someone would have asked me 12 months ago to name the top five teams with the brightest future, the Braves would have been near the top. Solid middle of the lineup with Heyward, Freeman, McCann, Prado, and Uggla. Excellent young SP like Hanson, Beachy, Jurrjens, Teheran, Minor, and Delgado. Not to forget one of the best backend bullpens with Kimbrel, Venters, and O'Flaherty.

On paper, they look very good. You would think they should finish with more than 89 wins this year.

But if Heyward goes into the shitter again,
and Uggla bats .180 in the first half again,
and Teheran turns out to be a AAAA pitcher

then who knows how many they will win.

I'm close to boycotting the team until Fredi Gonzalez is fired. I did this for 2 years with Furman until they fired Bobby Lamb.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 09:55 AM   #722
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Interesting. Kinda strange, though. Maybe an Orange Zone? It's not like just because you've got a runner on second that a score is imminent.

John Ourand@Ourand_SBJ
SBD: MLB is launching a RedZone-style channel tonight on Time Warner Cable, DirecTV, Dish Network and Bright House.

I don't have any data to back this up, but a lot of times on the Red Zone channel, no one is in position to score and they're still showing something. Then, you get into a situation where 3 teams are in the Red Zone and they switch around or a lot or you get the Triple Box!!

I'm interesting in seeing how this works. Hopefully they come to AT&T soon and make it every day.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 09:56 AM   #723
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

John Ourand@Ourand_SBJ

I think it'd be more like a channel that has a lot of "look ins" to various games going on at that time.
Old 04-10-2012, 10:05 AM   #724
Ksyrup

I guess. But it's available to those with the Extra Inning package, and the Mix Channel already gives me live look-ins to 8 games at a time. What's different about this? In-studio people telling me what I'm seeing?

Last edited by Ksyrup : 04-10-2012 at 10:05 AM.
Old 04-10-2012, 10:11 AM   #725
Butter
Coordinator

I am on UVerse so I don't think I'm getting it, but I think on those others it's going to be available to those who don't also subscribe to Extra Innings. But I don't know that for sure.
Old 04-10-2012, 10:33 AM   #726
Ksyrup

Here's what I found so far on it:

Quote:
MLB is launching a new cable channel tonight at 7:00pm ET called MLB Network Strike Zone, which is patterned after the NFL's successful NFL RedZone Channel. The channel already has signed affiliate deals with Time Warner Cable, Bright House Networks, DirecTV and Dish Network. The channel will operate on Tuesday and Friday nights during the season, when MLB Network carries live games. During that time, Strike Zone will provide live look-ins and highlights commercial free. It will be part of DirecTV's Sports Pack and MLB Extra Innings package, and part of Dish Network's Multi-Sport Pack.
Old 04-10-2012, 10:34 AM   #727
Ksyrup

I see - it's basically a supplement to MLB Network's coverage. When MLB Network is showing live games, Strike Zone Channel will operate. When MLB Network is doing the live nightly show, it's not necessary. This is a non-factor for me - I never watch MLB Network, I just watch the mix channel when I want to see what's going on in all the active games.
Old 04-10-2012, 10:37 AM   #728
Ksyrup

EDIT: Wrong thread

Last edited by Ksyrup : 04-10-2012 at 10:41 AM.
Old 04-10-2012, 10:45 AM   #729
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Here's what I found so far on it:

That is news to me, we haven't received any internal emails stating this channel exists (yet).
Old 04-10-2012, 10:46 AM   #730
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
I see - it's basically a supplement to MLB Network's coverage. When MLB Network is showing live games, Strike Zone Channel will operate. When MLB Network is doing the live nightly show, it's not necessary. This is a non-factor for me - I never watch MLB Network, I just watch the mix channel when I want to see what's going on in all the active games.

I watch Quick Pitch every night. But I don't subscribe to Extra Innings.
Old 04-10-2012, 10:51 AM   #731
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanGarion View Post
That is news to me, we haven't received any internal emails stating this channel exists (yet).

Who are you with? I saw something on a board saying it would be channel 719 on DirecTV (which is what I have).
Old 04-10-2012, 10:53 AM   #732
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Who are you with? I saw something on a board saying it would be channel 719 on DirecTV (which is what I have).

I work for TWC.
Old 04-10-2012, 10:59 AM   #733
Ksyrup

Only info I've gotten about it is from Sports Business Daily, plus some googles searches landing on some messageboards. But I did see this link on twitter:

MLB Network | Strike Zone, Tuesdays and Fridays - Video | MLB.com: Multimedia

It doesn't give specifics other than the days in runs and that it starts today. It also says to go to mlbnetwork.com/strikezone, but that page isn't active.
Old 04-10-2012, 12:05 PM   #734
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

Cool stat #1 for 2012 season:

AJ Pierzynski is the only catcher in baseball to record 1000 or more innings caught in each of the last 10 seasons.
Old 04-10-2012, 02:16 PM   #735
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Reds extend Brandon Phillips with a 6 year 72.5 mil deal.

I love B-Phil but i hope he doesnt drop off fast. A 35-36 year old B-Phil is kind of scary
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 02:26 PM   #736
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Snowing pretty good in Detroit right now.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 02:47 PM   #737
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Tigers beat the Rays 5-2. Porcello looked as good as I recall seeing him pitch. His velocity was 92-94 all day. Last year he was 88-90 for most of the season. We're really going to need him this season if we have any chance of making waves in October.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 03:12 PM   #738
Bearcat729
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobz0202 View Post
Reds extend Brandon Phillips with a 6 year 72.5 mil deal.

I love B-Phil but i hope he doesnt drop off fast. A 35-36 year old B-Phil is kind of scary

Yeah the fact that it's for 6 years scares me more than the 12 mil a season he'll be getting.
Old 04-10-2012, 04:09 PM   #739
Butter
Coordinator

Considering Kinsler got 5/75, I think 6/72.5 is great... basically getting his last 2 worthless years for free.
Old 04-10-2012, 04:15 PM   #740
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
Yeah, we were saying the same thing. If he could retire 10 straight guys after getting behind in the count, imagine how it will be when he can figure out how to get ahead of batters. It was really impressive to see him not get lost and frustrated after the horrible start.

Alas, the Champion Dog will have to wait for another trip. There was a 30 minute wait for them tonight.

There was a 30 minute wait for a $26 hot dog?
Old 04-10-2012, 04:16 PM   #741
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Tigers appear to be in Beast Mode. If the pitching stands up and injuries are kept to a minimum, this team could win it this year. If not, I expect Leyland will be gone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud
None of this shit is personal. It's the internet.
RomaGoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 04:24 PM   #742
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post
Considering Kinsler got 5/75, I think 6/72.5 is great... basically getting his last 2 worthless years for free.

Kinsler's also two years younger and put up consistently better numbers, though.
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 04:32 PM   #743
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

It's a year or two too long, but that's what it takes to sign a guy like Phillips. They may not get past the first round of the playoffs over the life of the contract, but at least they're trying to kep a highly productive core together. I'd rather they do that and miss than continue to wait for the next round of prospects ala the Royals or Pirates.
Old 04-10-2012, 04:32 PM   #744
Butter
Coordinator

I would argue the "consistently better numbers". They are pretty comparable... Kinsler has better power numbers, Phillips has better defense.

Last edited by Butter : 04-10-2012 at 04:33 PM.
Butter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 04:36 PM   #745
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Eh, Kinsler's significantly better than Phillips (last year was the best year the latter had in his career - not sure if I would bank on that); I don't know if I would give Brandon 6 years at more than Richie Weeks money. Still, MLB has an explosion of cash, but the Reds dealings the past couple of weeks have been surprising; that's a lot of commitments for a mid-market team (at best- market wise). Its unpopular, but the Votto commitment almost makes more sense to me than Brandon Phillipps; 3 years from now when they need to pay Latos / Bailey / Bruce / et all again, that might be an issue.
Old 04-10-2012, 04:37 PM   #746
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

They won't have to pay Bailey.
Old 04-10-2012, 04:41 PM   #747
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post
I would argue the "consistently better numbers". They are pretty comparable... Kinsler has better power numbers, Phillips has better defense.

I know this isnt the absolute bottom line but Kinslers last 5 years compared to Phillips has a large advantage to Kinsler. One might say Phillips is very overrated.

Kinslers WAR 3.8, 5.3, 5.0, 3.7, 5.4
Phillips WAR 2.0, 1.0, 2.0, 2.6, 4.1

Kinsler dWAR 0.1, 0.2, 1.6, 0.6, 1.0
Phillips dWAR -0.4, -0.4, -0.4, 0.0, 0.1

Last edited by jbergey22 : 04-10-2012 at 04:42 PM.
Old 04-10-2012, 04:43 PM   #748
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

I don't buy the dWAR numbers for Phillips. He's a very good defensive 2b and has been for years.
Old 04-10-2012, 04:46 PM   #749
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
I don't buy the dWAR numbers for Phillips. He's a very good defensive 2b and has been for years.

I am not saying the dWAR numbers dont come without fault but it is interesting that he is so consistently average on defense with his dWAR numbers. It would be one thing if they were 1.1, 0.9, -1.2, 1.0, -0.8 but he is consistently around the same number which makes me think they are close to accurate.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 04-10-2012 at 04:52 PM.
Old 04-10-2012, 05:22 PM   #750
cartman
Death Herald

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
There was a 30 minute wait for a $26 hot dog?

Evidently they don't have all of the kinks worked out in cooking them yet. They are pretty much cook to order, since they don't really have space to keep a few ready to go.