Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-18-2010, 02:21 PM   #701
DataKing
Pro Rookie

I'd probably be following along more closely if the show actually had a sense of direction and/or purpose. This whole thing with the carnival just seems...listless.
Diablo III (BattleTag: DataKing#1685)
Allegiances:
Chicago Bears - Detroit Red Wings - Kansas Jayhawks
Awards:
2011 Golden Scribe - Other Sports Category (The Straight(away) and Narrow - A Forza Motorsport 3 Dynasty)
DataKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 03:13 PM   #702
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

I saw an interview they did with James Kyson Lee and Jack Coleman (a red-carpet interview from a few weeks back) and they were asked if fans would be happy with the finale of this year if it were the last season - they basically said that it really wouldn't tie up any loose ends, and if anything, they should do like a 2-hour "mini-movie" to finish it up, if that happened to be the case. That I could deal with - unless they really turns things around these next few months, I am not sure I can handle another season (who am I kidding...I am a sucker and will watch anyway...)
Old 01-18-2010, 04:44 PM   #703
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
I read that Heroes has borderline ratings for NBC, but it sells a lot of DVDs and does pretty well overseas, so it will likely stick around for another season.

Last year it won for the most pirated show in part due to things like Hulu being US viewing only.

I don't mind this season, but it's been mostly on simmer and I'm curious if they kick it up towards the finale and if they can finally pull a finale off, or not.
Old 01-19-2010, 09:55 PM   #704
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

After tonight's episode I have completely lost touch with this show.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 10:07 PM   #705
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

This entire season with the T-Bag Carnival has been excruciating bordering on unwatchable. Just kill it already.
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 11:18 PM   #706
Swaggs
Coordinator

Haven't watched yesterday's yet. It sounds like they are leaning towards picking it up for another year, believe it or not. It seems like you would be hard pressed to find a show w/ such a love/hate audience that follows it.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 03:39 PM   #707
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Viewers abandon Heroes in droves: Can it be saved? | SCI FI Wire

With 24 back, it looks like Heroes is taking it hard in terms of numbers. Can't say I fault people for leaving. Even as somebody who has watched every episode, the last two have been difficult bear. It's to the point where I think everybody except for Samuel could just simply stay at home and work on their lives and that would be it. Samuel is the big bad and it's like nobody cares except for the carnival.
Old 01-26-2010, 11:30 PM   #708
BreizhManu
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
The bad thing about this show is that, if I am playing on the computer while watching it (which is like a 90% certainty nowadays )

I was doing the same, never been a big fan of the show but it was somehow distracting.

Yet the last episodes were too painful and even while doing something else it became unwatchable.
BreizhManu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 10:34 PM   #709
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Sylar is the only reason to even watch this show anymore.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 09:40 AM   #710
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Sylar is the only reason to even watch this show anymore.

Funny considering how many people wanted him dead at the end of the first season and him dying seems to always be on the list of "Things to improve Heroes."

Finally saw Monday's episode. Not as bad as I had feared, but at this point I have zero hope, so it takes very little to make me happy.

Old 01-29-2010, 09:53 PM   #711
Mota
College Benchwarmer

It seemed like they were a lot more focused this season and it was going in a good direction, but once again Sylar has changed personalities about 4,000 times and it feels like the writers have no idea from week to week what they want to do. And wow, all this buildup for the circus crew and NOTHING has happened yet after nearly a full season.
Mota is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 10:11 PM   #712
Swaggs
Coordinator

I have 4 saved up on my DVR right now, so I have obviously fallen behind. Like I mentioned earlier, I got stuck on the episode with a lot of subtitles b/c I play on the computer during the episodes and had to keep rewinding to see what the hell was going on. I'll probably try to get through it, rather than erasing, though.

Even though I agree that Sylar was a great character, I think they went to the well way too many times. He is a pretty good actor (especially by Heroes standards), but I have gotten tired of "growling Sylar" over the past two seasons. I think they probably should have written him out for a season -- maybe soul searching, with a few links to him, and then focused on some other decent villians (which they actually had with Mr. Petrelli and could have done with Adam/Master Kensei), but they overused him and made him swing back and forth way too much.

I guess that kind of stuff is a hallmark of comic books, so I can understand a little bit. Oh well, in the end, Heroes probably would have been better off as a miniseries rather than a longterm series.
Old 05-14-2010, 09:14 PM   #713
Bearcat729
College Benchwarmer

Eh it was canceled...

'Heroes' canceled by NBC | EW.com

'Heroes' canceled by NBC
by Lynette Rice
Categories: Fall 2010 Development, News, Television

It seemed inevitable but the news is nonetheless shocking: NBC’s drama Heroes won’t be back for a fifth season. The beleaguered drama only averaged 6.5 million viewers this year. It last aired on Feb. 8, when it only brought in a mere 4.4 million.

The show never managed to recapture those stellar ratings from its critically-beloved first season, when it averaged a whopping 14.5 million. There has been talk that NBC may air a movie that allows the producers to wrap up the story, but nothing has been set in stone. NBC will announce its fall lineup to advertisers Monday in New York.
Old 05-14-2010, 10:45 PM   #714
Swaggs
Coordinator

I'm not sure exactly what good a movie would do to wrap things up. It has pretty much been a serial drama, with a year-to-year plot point/villian, but I can't really think of any major, pressing questions that need answered.
Old 05-15-2010, 05:24 AM   #715
wade moore
lolzcat

Wow. I know many had been turned off by Heroes, but I really, really liked it still.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 07:25 AM   #716
Poli
FOFC Survivor

I finally stopped watching last year. I got tired of wondering what happened to this character or that one. I really liked all the extra stuff they had floating around...the comics and such, but it grew to be a nuisance to keep up.
Old 05-15-2010, 10:01 AM   #717
Dodgerchick
College Benchwarmer

Sorta sad, but this last season was easily forgettable.
Dodgerchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 06:16 PM   #718
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Classic case of a great concept and fantastic effort for a full first season getting dragged out 3 years too long without any idea what to do or how to do it.
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 07:10 PM   #719
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddzilla View Post
Classic case of a great concept and fantastic effort for a full first season getting dragged out 3 years too long without any idea what to do or how to do it.

Well, Tim had his idea, but it got so big NBC also had theirs. Would it have worked if they just did Tim's version? Who knows, but it still remains as one of the biggest historical TV screw ups. You go from pulling 14mil on average to start out to being done 4 years later. That doesn't even factor in the international and DVD sales aspects which where the show did good/great as well even during last season. If Heroes could pull even 7mil for viewers it would be a non-issue. By season end Heroes was doing 4.4, IIRC.

Old 05-15-2010, 07:26 PM   #720
AlexB
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore View Post
Wow. I know many had been turned off by Heroes, but I really, really liked it still.

+1
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 01:14 AM   #721
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore View Post

Agreed.
Old 05-16-2010, 02:18 PM   #722
Mota
College Benchwarmer

It was a chore to convince my wife to watch it with me week to week. I'm not surprised that it's been cancelled, the characters were just too "wobbly" in terms of writing where one week they'd act one way and the next week they'd do a 180 and react completely differently. Look at the Sylar for one, how many times did they flip him? He had his moment of redemption and then all of a sudden "I'm a villain!". It got boring. Nathan Petrelli's character was even worse, that guy went from religious to trying to capture all the heroes to a freedom guy, really terrible writing.
Mota is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 07:34 PM   #723
Swaggs
Coordinator

I liked it, but as I mentioned, I don't really have any unanswered questions remaining. I think it probably triggered (or re-triggered, in some cases) some good future careers. I'd like to see the actor who played Noah Bennett move on to do something good, as I think he was really strong from begining to end. I expect that Zachary Quinto, Milo Ventamiglia, and Hayden Panatierre all have good acting careers ahead of them.
Old 02-23-2014, 12:18 AM   #724
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Old 02-23-2014, 07:19 PM   #725
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

Very cautious optimism. If they get back to their roots and make it like season 1, then I am very excited. But they went off the rails pretty quickly in season 2, introducing too many characters and stories...so I hope they have had time to reflect on that and bring it back to the awesomeness.
Old 02-23-2014, 07:41 PM   #726
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

My guess is they might try it like Tim had originally planned. One group of people per season. The show became so big he was forced to change. As mentioned in the other bumped thread, they could just take off from the last show and that would work as well. It depends on who is coming back.

Last edited by Matthean : 02-23-2014 at 07:42 PM.
Matthean is offline   Reply With Quote