Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-21-2009, 01:43 PM   #701
wade moore
lolzcat

Ok, it's been too long since I read it then and I was mixing up stuff from Wiki..

Based on wiki he killed Aerys at 17.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 01:45 PM   #702
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Also bear in mind that I think Martin bases the ages of his characters more on the examples from our medieval period, where you could go off to war in your mid-teens, you'd be at the pinnacle of your profession around 30, and if you were 50+ you were really old. Since modern "older" actors look better (and younger) than they ever have, the idea of casting a 50-year-old as a 35-year-old isn't a huge stretch.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 01:51 PM   #703
Bad-example
College Starter

This should be a pretty large production but my guess is that most of the actors will be small/unknown names for money reasons. There should be a few recognizable faces but not many.
Bad-example is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 02:46 PM   #704
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

The question is: Who will play Brianne?

"...the better half of the Moores..." -cthomer5000
lordscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 02:52 PM   #705
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

i love that we're worried about this
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 02:53 PM   #706
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

i think the character of arya will be the toughest/most interesting to cast. she's the character that (to date at least) has the most varied experiences and undergoes the most huge changes and shifts. will take an actress who's younger but with a lot of range.
Old 07-21-2009, 02:53 PM   #707
cschex
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordscarlet View Post

They won't have to worry about that unless they pick it up for A Clash of Kings, but yeah, I can't imagine many actresses clamoring to play the part of an ugly woman.
cschex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 02:55 PM   #708
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordscarlet View Post

Janet Reno
Old 07-21-2009, 02:57 PM   #709
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cschex View Post
They won't have to worry about that unless they pick it up for A Clash of Kings, but yeah, I can't imagine many actresses clamoring to play the part of an ugly woman.

Though thinking about this, Robin Weigert, who is NOT an ugly woman, uglied up pretty good to play Calamity Jane in "Deadwood". She'd be perfect, IMO.
Old 07-21-2009, 03:53 PM   #710
OldGiants
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
yes, really x2.

What happened to the picture link?

And I hope you both realize I was referring to being okay with a guy who played Fred Flintstone, not that you didn't know who Mark Addy is.
"The case of Great Britain is the most astonishing in this matter of inequality of rights in world soccer championships. The way they explained it to me as a child, God is one but He's three: Father, Son and Holy Ghost. I could never understand it. And I still don't understand why Great Britain is one but she's four....while [others] continue to be no more than one despite the diverse nationalities that make them up." Eduardo Galeano, SOCCER IN SUN AND SHADOW
OldGiants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 07:32 PM   #711
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

eh - i don't think roles that he played in the past are any indication how he'll be in any other role
Old 08-04-2009, 07:37 PM   #712
flounder
High School Varsity

Jennifer Ehle to play Catelyn Stark. Good choice IMHO. She was great in Pride and Prejudice (not the zombie version).

Not A Blog - Scooped
flounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 07:44 PM   #713
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by flounder View Post
Jennifer Ehle to play Catelyn Stark. Good choice IMHO. She was great in Pride and Prejudice (not the zombie version).

Not A Blog - Scooped

A very good choice.

Lady H_B loves that BBC "Pride & Prejudice." She's watched it multiple times and it's like 5+ hours long. When I broke the news that Elizabeth Bennet would be playing Catelyn Stark, she replied: "Ugh, it will be annoying to have to hate her."
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).

Last edited by Honolulu_Blue : 08-04-2009 at 07:45 PM.
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 07:52 PM   #714
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

Quote:

Not A Blog - Scooped

yes very vlose to how i pictured that character
Old 08-05-2009, 08:43 AM   #715
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

The casting folks on this one are on fire so far.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 09:08 AM   #716
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Janet Reno

Chyna?
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 09:08 AM   #717
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Quote:

Not A Blog - Scooped

not pretty enough by half, imo
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 09:14 AM   #718
Galaril
Pro Starter

The book done?......Ah, more TV stuff don't care until he finished the book series. I mean would you watch a series on TV Knowing it would end in a cliffhanger that is never finished or resolved? I suppose someone could finish Martins books ala Wheel of Time for him after he croaks which unfortunately may not be far off from the looks of him lately.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 10:17 AM   #719
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril View Post
I mean would you watch a series on TV Knowing it would end in a cliffhanger that is never finished or resolved?

Absolutely.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 08-07-2009, 05:42 PM   #720
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
Absolutely.

All I meant is the TV series is great but I rather be hearing he has finished the next book and can not get tooexcited about a series which at this point I already know what is goignt o happen. I guess it is just me
Old 08-07-2009, 06:40 PM   #721
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:

Not A Blog - Scooped

Don't really know her, but I hope she's bitchy enough to play my least favorite character in the series.
Old 08-21-2009, 04:12 PM   #722
TargetPractice6
College Benchwarmer

Lots of new castings announced on Martin's blog. Still looking solid if you ask me.
TargetPractice6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 02:45 AM   #723
3ric
College Starter

Nikolaj Coster-Waldau as Jaime

Never seen the guy before, but the name rings vaguely familiar

Edit: oh, he's Danish - that probably explains it

Last edited by 3ric : 08-23-2009 at 03:22 AM.
3ric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 04:40 AM   #724
MrBug708
Head Coach

I can buy it
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 04:42 AM   #725
JeeberD
General Manager

I've only heard of him because the wife and I watched New Amsterdam. Personally, I don't think he's 'pretty' enough, but hopefully he can pull it off...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 06:21 AM   #726
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD View Post
I've only heard of him because the wife and I watched New Amsterdam. Personally, I don't think he's 'pretty' enough, but hopefully he can pull it off...

So did we. Interesting choice. I'd agree... but we'll see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 10:53 AM   #727
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:

Same. Maybe they'll pretty him up a bit.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 12:11 PM   #728
aran
High School Varsity

He also looks a bit old for Jaime. Jaime can't be older than 25 in AGOT, this guy looks like he's in his late thirties.
aran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 01:42 PM   #729
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by aran View Post
He also looks a bit old for Jaime. Jaime can't be older than 25 in AGOT, this guy looks like he's in his late thirties.

He is a bit old, but all of the cast seems to be a bit older than the characters actual ages in the book. When AGOT starts Jaime is about 31-32 or so. The actor is 39.
Old 08-23-2009, 03:59 PM   #730
aran
High School Varsity

I thought Jaime wasn't older than 17 when he killed the old King in Robert's Rebellion. There were 15 years between Robert's victory and his death? I though Dany was a young child when her father was killed and she was 14ish when AGOT tokes place?
aran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 09:21 PM   #731
cschex
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by aran View Post
I thought Jaime wasn't older than 17 when he killed the old King in Robert's Rebellion. There were 15 years between Robert's victory and his death? I though Dany was a young child when her father was killed and she was 14ish when AGOT tokes place?

Dany was conceived a couple of months before the Sack of King's Landing and was born on Dragonstone after the war was basically over. It is 15 years between the Rebellion and aGoT.

Last edited by cschex : 08-23-2009 at 09:22 PM.
cschex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 11:06 PM   #732
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I've only heard of him because the wife and I watched New Amsterdam.

Same. And he was awesome in New Amsterdam!
Old 08-24-2009, 06:13 PM   #733
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Just saw GRRM's latest post about Arya and Sansa. Sansa matches my mental image of her almost perfectly, Arya's pretty close (I imagined her hair a bit different).

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 08:43 AM   #734
JeeberD
General Manager

Personally I think Arya's dead on. The actress looks exactly like I imagined her...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 11:45 AM   #735
Schmidty
Coordinator

I've always pictured Arya with a much longer face, so this girl isn't quite "perfect" as far as my mental image of the character.

Sansa and Dany are spot-on perfect though. I've also come to think the new Jaime will be a good fit.
Old 09-02-2009, 08:57 AM   #736
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Some more casting news...

They've casted Lena Headey, of "300" and "Sarah Connor Chronicles" fame, as Cersei Lannister. That's another "big name", so that's good.

As to whether she can pull it off... I never really saw Cersei being as fit and lean as Lena Headey. I always imagined Cersei and slender, yet soft; not so much slender and chiseled. That said, I do think Lena's hot and all that is just quibbling.

As to whether she's a great actress... She was "ok" in both 300 and Terminator. She wasn't the best part of Terminator, but I don't think the role of Sarah Connor is really all that rewarding. She pretty much has to be tough, somewhat distant, paranoid, and highly over protective of her son. Even in her role in 300 she played the sort of tough, stoic queen. I've never really seen Lena even try to play seductive (and stupid) before.

Sometimes actors can surprise. For example, the guy who played McNulty on The Wire (Dominic West) was the bad Spartan (who Leda killed) in 300 and the bad guy in the latest Punisher movie. He was pretty awful in both movies, but simply rocked as McNulty. He was awesome. Sometimes folks just fit a role. Maybe the reason Leda came off as a bit stiff in 300 and Terminator was because was born to play a seductress like Cersei.

I always felt like the tall, blonde Cylon chick from BSG would have been the best choice for Cersei. I know she can do seductive.

They also filled the role of The Hound. He's being played by a Scottish guy, Rory McCann. You can check him out on imdb. He was the guy in "Hot Fuzz" who just said "yarp" and was in "Alexander." I think can look the part and definitely can pull it off physically. He's 6'6".
Old 09-02-2009, 12:58 PM   #737
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Some more casting news...

They've casted Lena Headey, of "300" and "Sarah Connor Chronicles" fame, as Cersei Lannister. That's another "big name", so that's good.

As to whether she can pull it off... I never really saw Cersei being as fit and lean as Lena Headey. I always imagined Cersei and slender, yet soft; not so much slender and chiseled. That said, I do think Lena's hot and all that is just quibbling.

As to whether she's a great actress... She was "ok" in both 300 and Terminator. She wasn't the best part of Terminator, but I don't think the role of Sarah Connor is really all that rewarding. She pretty much has to be tough, somewhat distant, paranoid, and highly over protective of her son. Even in her role in 300 she played the sort of tough, stoic queen. I've never really seen Lena even try to play seductive (and stupid) before.

Sometimes actors can surprise. For example, the guy who played McNulty on The Wire (Dominic West) was the bad Spartan (who Leda killed) in 300 and the bad guy in the latest Punisher movie. He was pretty awful in both movies, but simply rocked as McNulty. He was awesome. Sometimes folks just fit a role. Maybe the reason Leda came off as a bit stiff in 300 and Terminator was because was born to play a seductress like Cersei.

I always felt like the tall, blonde Cylon chick from BSG would have been the best choice for Cersei. I know she can do seductive.

They also filled the role of The Hound. He's being played by a Scottish guy, Rory McCann. You can check him out on imdb. He was the guy in "Hot Fuzz" who just said "yarp" and was in "Alexander." I think can look the part and definitely can pull it off physically. He's 6'6".

Oh God I hate this choice not at all what I would of thought of for Cersei. This is a real reach when you look at the last two roles she did that you mention. She would have been great for Catelyn Stark but not Cersei I mean a golden haired queens she is not. Boo.
Old 09-02-2009, 01:24 PM   #738
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril View Post
Oh God I hate this choice not at all what I would of thought of for Cersei. This is a real reach when you look at the last two roles she did that you mention. She would have been great for Catelyn Stark but not Cersei I mean a golden haired queens she is not. Boo.

Give her some golden hair and I think she is hot enough to pull it off. Despite being a fan of both 300 and Sarah Connor, I didn't think she particularly excelled in either role, so perhaps she was really born to play a more Cerseiesque character than a tough-as-nails character.

The more I think on it, the more I like it. Besides, I think, in most cases (not all), it's really tough to judge without actually seeing the actor/actress perform the role.
Old 09-02-2009, 01:27 PM   #739
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Give her some golden hair and I think she is hot enough to pull it off. Despite being a fan of both 300 and Sarah Connor, I didn't think she particularly excelled in either role, so perhaps she was really born to play a more Cerseiesque character than a tough-as-nails character.

The more I think on it, the more I like it. Besides, I think, in most cases (not all), it's really tough to judge without actually seeing the actor/actress perform the role.

Cersei is tough in her own way too. I think Lena can pull it off with a sexy wig (although tbh i always pictured cersei as a more voluptous woman than her also)
Old 09-02-2009, 02:15 PM   #740
Schmidty
Coordinator

I always see Cersei as having big ass titties and a heart-shaped ass, so this doesn't work for me.

Sorry. I meant "ample bosoms", and "buttocks", not ass.
Old 09-02-2009, 02:16 PM   #741
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidty View Post
I always see Cersei as having big ass titties and a heart-shaped ass, so this doesn't work for me.

Sorry. I meant "ample bosoms", and "buttocks", not ass.

yep. i mean really...if she's not ridiculously smoking-hot then why is her hero-knight/brad pitt-esque brother down with the whole incest thing? Unless (and maybe it'll be played up this way in the series) they think that by doing so they're somehow equal to the Targaryen's?

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 09-02-2009 at 02:18 PM.
Old 09-02-2009, 02:17 PM   #742
Autumn
Head Coach

Well a lot of actors do a lot of work to get ready for a role ...
Autumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 02:19 PM   #743
Schmidty
Coordinator

Dola.

I loved the "yarp" guy in Hot Fuzz, so I hope he can pull it off.
Old 09-02-2009, 02:58 PM   #744
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
I always see Cersei as having big ass titties...

That's incredibly shocking coming from you. We all know how you love your big ass titties.

Swing low sweet chariots.
Old 09-02-2009, 03:01 PM   #745
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Also, if I recall, I don't think she's ever described as being buxom, voluptuous or excessively be-tittied.
Old 09-02-2009, 03:05 PM   #746
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
We all know how you love your big ass titties.

If I had big ass titties, I'd never get anything done, because I'd be hanging upside down motorboating myself all the time.

Last edited by Schmidty : 09-02-2009 at 03:05 PM.
Schmidty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 03:08 PM   #747
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
If I had big ass titties, I'd never get anything done, because I'd be hanging upside down motorboating myself all the time.

That is a happy image. Thanks!
Old 09-02-2009, 04:16 PM   #748
Autumn
Head Coach

Quote:

Manboobs are within the realm of possibility for you. Go on a Homer Simpson diet.
Autumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 07:50 AM   #749
Samdari
Roster Filler

Does anyone else get the impression from all this casting crap that he has completely abandoned writing again?
Old 09-03-2009, 07:56 AM   #750
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samdari View Post
Does anyone else get the impression from all this casting crap that he has completely abandoned writing again?

No, not really. I think he's definitely involved and, therefore, probably distracted by it, but if it wasn't casting it'd be some convention, toy knights, the start of the NFL season, some anthology he's editing, etc.