Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-03-2009, 10:26 AM   #701
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
Your an idiot plain and simple!!!

Quoted for posterity before he can edit his irony.

And PS, that's always the definitive way to win an argument.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 10:26 AM   #702
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho View Post
After the Cutler trade, the Bears go over 10 wins this year (the playoffs are a given, due to the lack of quality in the division) if:

1. Forte doesn't go down.
2. The O-Line doesn't completely suck.
3. They pick up some sort of possession receiver to balance Davis/Hester

The other benefit (in all seriousness) is losing the 1st round picks, given the Bears' history, that would just have been wasted money anyway.

And you arent worried about this defense with the two worst safeties in football, a defensive line that has no depth, and corners that are average at best? Adrian Peterson will be licking his chops once again if the Bears dont improve this side of the ball.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 10:27 AM   #703
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Quoted for posterity before he can edit his irony.

And PS, that's always the definitive way to win an argument.

Your a troll say something important or get out.
Old 04-03-2009, 10:29 AM   #704
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
lol

Can't wait for QS to make an appearance.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint

Last edited by cartman : 04-03-2009 at 10:30 AM.
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 10:32 AM   #705
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad-example View Post
Also finding myself in the uncomfortable position of rooting for Campbell, who greeted the trade rumors with a shrug of his shoulders like a real man.

Good to hear some QBs are adults!
Old 04-03-2009, 10:36 AM   #706
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samdari View Post
Rogers? You are really grasping at straws. They'd trade him for a case of urinal cakes about now.

Romo? He has a top defense and has the same number of playoff wins as Cutler. All we know about Romo right now is that he's a better QB than 57 year old Brad Johnson.

What exactly do you see in Cutler that makes him head and shoulders above Rogers? Rogers had a better completion percention, more yards per attempt, a better td/int rate and most importantly he has the respect of his teammates.

And secondly you must not watch too much football if thats all you've seen out of Romo. The Cowboys are on every week it seems. Anyone with half a brain can see how talented he is athough he needs to cut down on his TO's.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 04-03-2009 at 10:41 AM.
Old 04-03-2009, 10:39 AM   #707
DataKing
Pro Rookie

OK. Now that I've had some time to calm down and digest the trade, I feel I can contribute to this thread (you wouldn't have wanted to hear from me last night..I was giggling like a school-girl).

At first, honestly, I was shocked. Not because the Bears finally got a legitimate franchise quarterback (see below), but because a bold move like this is such a drastic philosophical shift for the Bears organization. The Chicago Bears front office is, by comparison to most of the rest of the league, very conservative. Seriously, when was the last time you remember the Bears being the "big story" during the off-season?

I agree that the local sports radio and newspaper guys have, for the most part overreacted to this, effectively proclaiming Jay Cutler as King of Chicago. But you have to remember the mind-set of this town with regards to the Bears. The Bears have no quarterback. They never have. It's a fact of life around here (Jim McMahon wasn't a quarterback in the modern sense...he was a field general. Two different things). It's like saying "the sun came up today" or "I'm breathing oxygen." It just goes without saying around here. To finally have an honest-to-God, can-make-every-throw quarterback on the Bears is almost unfathomable. That's where the locals are coming from. Remember, this is a franchise where Sid Luckman still holds most of the passing records.

As far as the trade itself, this may sound a little odd, but I'm really not upset about giving up the first-round picks. I have always held that you don't make or break your draft in the first round (despite all the hype associated with it). You make your draft in rounds two through five. The Bears first-round draft history has been...spotty, to say the least, under Angelo's watch. Just take a look at the Bears' first round picks since Angelo became GM:
  • 2001 - David Terrelle (8th overall)
  • 2002 - Marc Colombo (29th overall)
  • 2003 - Michael Haynes (14th overall)
  • 2003 - Rex Grossman (22nd overall)
  • 2004 - Tommie Harris (14th overall)
  • 2005 - Cedric Benson (4th overall)
  • 2007 - Greg Olsen (31st overall)
  • 2008 - Chris Williams (14th overall)
Excluding Tommie Harris, I would gladly give up any two of these guys, plus Kyle Orton, and get a Jay Cutler in return. Angelo has always done a better job picking in the later rounds, so I don't have an issue with them giving up those early (read: expensive) picks.

As far as how Cutler will fit into Ron Turner's offense, I think you'll see a return to the offense from the 1st half of the Super Bowl year (the "Good Rex" period), and that means looking downfield in the passing game quite a bit. In Cutler, you finally have someone with an arm strong enough to really take advantage of Hester's speed. This will keep teams from having their safeties crowd the line of scrimmage (which the Bears see a lot of) and in turn open things up for the running game.

Overall I like the move. I know there are some character/maturity questions, but Jay is a guy that grew up in Indiana and, IIRC, grew up rooting for the Bears. He doesn't have to step in and be the locker room leader right away (you've got guys like Urlacher and Olin Kreutz to do that). But it would be foolish to expect immediate results (and there will be some of that around here, no doubt). Give him a little time to learn his new teammates and learn Turner's offense, and I really think he could end up shining.

And bringing in Orlando Pace to protect his back-side and tutor Chris Williams doesn't hurt either.
Diablo III (BattleTag: DataKing#1685)
Allegiances:
Chicago Bears - Detroit Red Wings - Kansas Jayhawks
Awards:
2011 Golden Scribe - Other Sports Category (The Straight(away) and Narrow - A Forza Motorsport 3 Dynasty)
DataKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 10:42 AM   #708
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
What exactly do you see in Cutler that makes him head and shoulders above Rogers?

And secondly you must not watch too much football if thats all you've seen out of Romo. The Cowboys are on every week it seems. Anyone with half a brain can see how talented he is athough he needs to cut down on his TO's.

I've had Sunday Ticket since 1998. I watch the NFL every minute that it is on.

You say anyone with half a brain can see how talented Romo is, but in the same post ask exactly what I see in Cutler that makes him head and shoulders above Rodgers? It is not me who has trouble evaluating QB talent.

Case in point: Jay Cutler. Professional talent evaluators put his market value at two 1sts, a 3rd and a starting QB. Noone would give a first for Aaron Rodgers right now. Yet you think he's more talented than Cutler.
Old 04-03-2009, 10:43 AM   #709
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DataKing View Post
And bringing in Orlando Pace to protect his back-side and tutor Chris Williams doesn't hurt either.

This move has gone relatively unnoticed but I think this is the best move they made yesterday.
Old 04-03-2009, 10:44 AM   #710
DataKing
Pro Rookie

Quote:
And you arent worried about this defense with the two worst safeties in football, a defensive line that has no depth, and corners that are average at best? Adrian Peterson will be licking his chops once again if the Bears dont improve this side of the ball.

Alex Brown, Adewale Ogunleye, Mark Anderson, Tommie Harris, Marcus Anderson, Anthony Adams, Dusty Dvoracek, and Israel Idonije. No defensive line depth? I beg to differ.

The safeties are an issue, granted, but you act as though the Bears are completely finished in free agency, and won't even be attending this year's draft.
Allegiances:
Awards:
2011 Golden Scribe - Other Sports Category (The Straight(away) and Narrow - A Forza Motorsport 3 Dynasty)
Old 04-03-2009, 10:45 AM   #711
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I've had Sunday Ticket since 1998. I watch the NFL every minute that it is on.

You say anyone with half a brain can see how talented Romo is, but in the same post ask exactly what I see in Cutler that makes him head and shoulders above Rodgers? It is not me who has trouble evaluating QB talent.

Case in point: Jay Cutler. Professional talent evaluators put his market value at two 1sts, a 3rd and a starting QB. Noone would give a first for Aaron Rodgers right now. Yet you think he's more talented than Cutler.

Can you please cite this "no one would give a first for Aaron Rogers right now"?

Maybe you havent watched enough of Rogers, who knows. He outperformed Cutler is every important passing category last year. His only flaw was he didnt pull the Packers through in close games. If Cutlers market price is 2 firsts, a third, and a starting QB then Rogers value should be the same. Packers must see something they like since the gave him an extension through 2014.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 04-03-2009 at 10:55 AM.
Old 04-03-2009, 10:45 AM   #712
DataKing
Pro Rookie

Quote:
This move has gone relatively unnoticed but I think this is the best move they made yesterday.

Agreed. It's been completely overshadowed, both locally and nationally.
Allegiances:
Awards:
Old 04-03-2009, 10:52 AM   #713
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Good to hear some QBs are adults!

But now Jason Campbell has to go through a whole season knowing that his team thinks it was possible to upgrade at the QB position! How is he going to manage!!!!!
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 11:01 AM   #714
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
But now Jason Campbell has to go through a whole season knowing that his team thinks it was possible to upgrade at the QB position! How is he going to manage!!!!!

There are teams that still need a QB, and Cleveland still has one more than they need. A three way deal could easily happen if the right teams got involved.
Old 04-03-2009, 11:35 AM   #715
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgran View Post
Here are 30 reasons that all the Bears fans I know (myself included) are thrilled by the trade for Cutler. http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/sns-bears-qbs-history-pg,0,2052811.photogallery

HIlarious. Has any other team come close to that many QB's in 30 years?
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 12:39 PM   #716
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:

You're overstating the suckitude of the Bears' defense, to a massive degree, especially when I already stated that they're not "elite" anymore.

Ten wins is 10 wins. The Bears get 4 wins from the division, easily (they got 4 last year, losing to MIN and GB once a piece). Apparently they'll also be playing:

Home: Arizona, St. Louis, Philadelphia, Cleveland, Pittsburgh
Away: San Francisco, Seattle, Atlanta, Baltimore, Cincinnati

I think they easily beat St. Louis and Cleveland at home, possibly Philly as well, so we're up to 7 wins. San Francisco, Seattle and Cincinnati seem like plausible victories, and that gets to 10.

Less likely, but certainly possible, are:

1. Sweeping the division (face it, the division sucks)
2. Arizona at home

But each season has the potential to really surprise us.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 12:54 PM   #717
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Can you please cite this "no one would give a first for Aaron Rogers right now"?

Agreed on this (though I do disagree with your Cutler opinion). Rodgers would definitely take a lot to pry from GB.
Old 04-03-2009, 01:21 PM   #718
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Agreed on this (though I do disagree with your Cutler opinion). Rodgers would definitely take a lot to pry from GB.

I think a lot of Cutler argument is misunderstood. I know he has a lot of talent. What I am unsure of is his character and whether or not he will be able to play in an offense that doesnt suit his abilities like Denver did. I think Denver does more roll outs that any other team in the league and that is where Cutler has a majority of his success.

It started out with me saying Cutler was a system QB and the bears gave up too much for him now its esculated to the point where everyone seems to think I said Cutler is worthless.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 04-03-2009 at 01:22 PM.
Old 04-03-2009, 01:25 PM   #719
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Cutler is a very good QB but again, Chicago doesn't have any great options. Forte had a good year but a sub 4 YPC is not exactly lighting the world on fire. Their WR's are all unproven and their OL still is abysmal, even with Orlando Pace, because Pace you cannot count on 8 starts from, let alone 16.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 02:08 PM   #720
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

LOLOL!!

Before Cutler felt burned by McDaniels, there was ... - Inside the Bears

Quote:
Jay Cutler's exit from Denver is easily traceable.

He felt he could not trust Josh McDaniels after he got on board with the new coach, bought into the program McDaniels was selling, and then the new coach tried to trade him. The nearly five weeks of banter back-and-forth, a teleconference, a face-to-face sitdown, text messages, he said, she said produced nothing but drama, a riveting offseason story the NFL probably cherished.

And it ultimately led to Cutler becoming a Bear, the 12th starting quarterback of the Jerry Angelo regime, Thursday afternoon in a blockbuster deal that will define the general manager's career one way or another.
Now we'll see where Cutler can pick things up with another coach he feels has jilted him, or at least did at one point--Bears offensive coordinator Ron Turner.

Yep. Add Turner to the list of coaches that might not be high on Cutler's list. Those close to Cutler have said so, any way. It ought to make for some interesting questions when Cutler is introduced at a 5 p.m. press conference at Halas Hall. Here's betting the Bears work to smooth this one over before he fields any of those queries if they already haven't. We'll see if in the passage of time this one has blown over.

Jay Burch, the athletic director at Heritage Hills High School where Cutler prepped in southern Indiana, described it to Denver Post columnist Woody Paige back in December.

``[Denver coach Mike] Shanahan is a very wise man,'' Burch said. ``I wonder if Ron Turner now would have wanted Jay at Illinois and in Chicago.''

As the story goes--and it's unfolded in the Denver Post, on ESPN.com and in the Post-Tribune in Merrillville, Ind., among other places--Cutler accepted a scholarship to Illinois without having visited the campus. Turner, of course, was the head coach at the time. Cutler's high school football season led straight into basketball season (he was a three-sport star who reportedly had the talent as a switch-hitting shortstop to play professionally) and he didn't get to Champaign, Ill., to check out the campus until the end of December.
When he got there, things weren't all ``Oskee Wow-Wow.'' Try ``what the hell?!?''

``When Jay went for his official visit, the coach told him they were rescinding the offer because they had some hot-shot quarterback from California,'' Burch told Paige.

That hot shot turned out to be Mike Dlugolecki, who quickly transferred away from Illinois to San Diego State where he made his mark, if you can call it that, passing for 2,597 yards with 10 touchdowns and 16 interceptions.

``It's not right,'' Cutler's father, Jack Cutler, told ESPN.com's Pat Forde in an April 24, 2006 column. ``I still have a bitter taste in my mouth over that.''

Cutler had turned down interest from Purdue, Duke and Maryland to commit to Illinois. When he was left empty-handed in Champaign, he was forced to scramble.

``That was dirty,'' Jack Cutler said in Mike Hutton's May 3, 2006 story in the Post-Tribune. ``But that's what happened.''

Michael Smith at The Louisville (Ky.) Courier-Journal attributed the same word ``dirty'' to Jack Cutler in a Nov. 12, 2005 article.

The Bears were ecstatic Thursday with the addition of Cutler and should be. Sid Luckman's last season was 1950. The Bears have traded away Bobby Layne, lost a coin flip for Terry Bradshaw, traded away a first-round pick for another quarterback from Indiana, Rick Mirer, and wasted precious time waiting for non-prospects to become prospects. Landing at Vanderbilt certainly worked out for Cutler. He became a first-round draft pick. The rest is history.

Angelo just better hope Cutler can get on board with Turner, who told the Tribune in the past that Illinois never rescinded a scholarship because it never offered one to Cutler. Maybe they should get together on this one.

This is just awesome .

So apparently Cutler's new OC is someone his dad called "dirty" for how he handled Jay during recruiting .

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 04-03-2009 at 02:09 PM.
ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 02:20 PM   #721
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
system QB

I don't know about you, but this term tends to indicate someone who lacks physical skills to make certain throws, and thrives in "systems" designed to emphasize the throws they can make.

My understanding of the conventional use of the term "system QB" in no way applies to Jay Cutler. He's got the best physical skills in the league for anyone under 30, and maybe overall.

I don't dispute his mind is somewhat behind those physical skills (and how much is obviously a matter of much debate). But, calling him a "system QB" is just wrong - he can make any throw asked of NFL QB's, so could thrive in any offense.
Old 04-03-2009, 02:40 PM   #722
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
just better hope Cutler can get on board with Turner

I'd say Turner might want to get on the same page as Cutler. After all, they didn't trade two first round picks to get Turner.
Old 04-03-2009, 02:41 PM   #723
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

The Giants released Plaxico today:

New York Giants release beleaguered receiver Plaxico Burress - ESPN
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 02:46 PM   #724
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Quote:
I don't know about you, but this term tends to indicate someone who lacks physical skills to make certain throws, and thrives in "systems" designed to emphasize the throws they can make.

My understanding of the conventional use of the term "system QB" in no way applies to Jay Cutler. He's got the best physical skills in the league for anyone under 30, and maybe overall.

I don't dispute his mind is somewhat behind those physical skills (and how much is obviously a matter of much debate). But, calling him a "system QB" is just wrong - he can make any throw asked of NFL QB's, so could thrive in any offense.

I'd agree with this completely, otherwise Brian Griese would've been a system QB or Jake Plummer would've been the Donkeys' system QB.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 02:46 PM   #725
sabotai
General Manager

I didn't see that coming. I wonder if a trade for a WR is going to happen soon.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 02:49 PM   #726
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai View Post

I have a feeling they are going to draft Patrick Turner relatively high (probably a round earlier than he is projected.) I hope they don't as I'd have to start cheering for them a little bit when they aren't playing the Eagles.
Old 04-03-2009, 03:03 PM   #727
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
I have a feeling they are going to draft Patrick Turner relatively high (probably a round earlier than he is projected.) I hope they don't as I'd have to start cheering for them a little bit when they aren't playing the Eagles.

I hope not, I would much rather have Kenny Britt.

Losing Plax on the field hurts but I don't blame the Giants at all. Plax is a moron if he thinks he isn't doing to do any jail time. That means if he pleas in June and gets, say 6 months jail he is out this season for sure. Then you know the league is going to hammer him when he gets out with another suspension. That means best case scenerio he is on the field middle of 2010. Giants had no choice but to move on.
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 03:18 PM   #728
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

I'd give the Ocho Cinco for a 2nd.
Old 04-03-2009, 03:19 PM   #729
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post

Giants will do this I am sure, gotta keep up with the Mets stupidity
Old 04-03-2009, 03:39 PM   #730
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:

No. Just no.

Anquon Boldin and Braylon Edwards both (seem to) want out. I'd take either of them long before Ocho Cinco.
Old 04-03-2009, 03:55 PM   #731
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

I guess I have a different meaning of it. I would have called Vince Young a system QB coming out of college and he has all the talent in the world. To me it means being in a system optimal to your ability. Cutler had a 104 passing rating outside the pocket last year and a 61 inside the pocket. Shanahan being the offenisive genious he is designed many rollout pass plays for him.

It only makes sense to design an offense designed to the strength of your best players but it still doesnt always happen. Do you think Cutler would be more successful in a West Coast offense in which accuracy and short passes are the key or do you think an offense built on play action passes and deep throws would better maximize his talent? System QB doesnt always have to be a bad thing.
Old 04-03-2009, 04:02 PM   #732
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
I guess I have a different meaning of it. I would have called Vince Young a system QB coming out of college and he has all the talent in the world. To me it means being in a system optimal to your ability. Cutler had a 104 passing rating outside the pocket last year and a 61 inside the pocket. Shanahan being the offenisive genious he is designed many rollout pass plays for him.

It only makes sense to design an offense designed to the strength of your best players but it still doesnt always happen. Do you think Cutler would be more successful in a West Coast offense in which accuracy and short passes are the key or do you think an offense built on play action passes and deep throws would better maximize his talent? System QB doesnt always have to be a bad thing.

Shanahan didn't design that system for Cutler, he designed it for Jake Plummer.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 04:04 PM   #733
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
No. Just no.

Anquon Boldin and Braylon Edwards both (seem to) want out. I'd take either of them long before Ocho Cinco.

Okay. Okay. I'll throw in Levi Jones for free!

There hasn't been a deal this good since the slap and chop.
Old 04-03-2009, 04:09 PM   #734
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Okay. Okay. I'll throw in Levi Jones for free!

There hasn't been a deal this good since the slap and chop.

"Slappin' your troubles..."
Old 04-03-2009, 04:11 PM   #735
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Some people are saying a deal is almost done to send Boldin to the Giants, per an ESPN Radio report, fwiw.

Boldin is a solid WR but not a #1. No WR that only has 11 YPC is a top guy to me if he cannot stretch a field. He is a younger version of Housh, who can flourish in the right system, but he is by no means a top 10-15 WR.
Old 04-03-2009, 04:13 PM   #736
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
Some people are saying a deal is almost done to send Boldin to the Giants, per an ESPN Radio report, fwiw.

Boldin is a solid WR but not a #1. No WR that only has 11 YPC is a top guy to me if he cannot stretch a field. He is a younger version of Housh, who can flourish in the right system, but he is by no means a top 10-15 WR.

I was hoping the Eagles would get him. I think a bit more of him than you do and think he would be a great compliment to the speed of DeSean Jackson, Kevin Curtis and the rest of the receivers.
Old 04-03-2009, 04:17 PM   #737
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Here are the people Boldin's stats are most comparable with:

Anquan Boldin - 89 catches, 1038 yards, 11.7 YPC, 11 TD
Tony Gonzalez - 96 catches, 1058 yards, 11.0 YPC, 10 TD
Dwayne Bowe - 86 catches, 1022 yards, 11.9 YPC, 7 TD
Lance Moore - 79 catches, 928 yards, 11.7 YPC, 10 TD
TJ Houshmanzadh - 92 catches, 994 yards, 9.8 YPC, 4 TD
Dallas Clark - 77 catches, 848 yards, 11 YPC, 6 TD
Old 04-03-2009, 04:18 PM   #738
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
I was hoping the Eagles would get him. I think a bit more of him than you do and think he would be a great compliment to the speed of DeSean Jackson, Kevin Curtis and the rest of the receivers.

With how Philly uses WR's, there is no true #1. He'd have been a great fit there. I just don't see him as a true #1 in the way he'd be used in New York. And he'll be paid like a real #1.
Old 04-03-2009, 04:25 PM   #739
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Here are how the other top WR fared:

Andre Johnson: 115/1575/13.7/8 TD
Larry Fitzgerald: 96/1431/14.9/12 TD
Stve Smith: 78/1421/18.2/6 TD
Roddy White: 88/1382/15.7/8 TD
Calvin Johnson: 78/1331/17.1/12 TD
Greg Jennings: 80/1292/16.2/9 TD
Antonio Bryant: 83/1248/15/7 TD
Terrell Owens: 69/1052/15.2/10 TD
Reggie Wayne: 82/1145/14/6 TD
Hines Ward: 81/1043/12.9/7 TD
Randy Moss: 69/1008/14.6/11 TD
Old 04-03-2009, 04:28 PM   #740
DeToxRox
Head Coach

And I realize Quan was out a few games but he also played a pass heavy QB with the most accurate QB in NFL history and opposite the best WR in the NFL. I think it's setting up for disappointment for Giants fans if they think he, at his best, will replicate the production that Plax gave them at his best.
Old 04-03-2009, 04:31 PM   #741
DeToxRox
Head Coach

My last post on this .. from KC Joyner, the football scientist:

What I found is that while their overall yards per attempt totals (YPA) were equal and their vertical YPA quite similar, there was one area in which Fitzgerald was miles ahead of Boldin – YPA when facing tough cornerbacks. When Fitz faced an average or good corner in 2007 (good being defined as allowing a YPA equal to or less than 7.0 yards, average being between 7-9 yards), he posted a YPA of 8.7. Boldin, on the other hand, gained only 6.3 YPA. To put those in perspective, if a receiver posts an overall YPA of 8.7, he will typically rank in the top third of the league, while a YPA of 6.3 would typically rank in the bottom 10.
Old 04-03-2009, 04:51 PM   #742
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Boldin is a solid WR but not a #1.

There aren't many true #1 WRs out there. Certainly not 32 of them. Maybe 10-12, tops, and no team would trade a true #1 WR unless he was pulling a Jay Culter. Since the Giants lost one of the league's #1 WR, and have a few #2-3 WRs, trading to get a #1.5 WR (and there's not all that many of them either) to improve the passing game will be a good move.
Old 04-03-2009, 04:53 PM   #743
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
There aren't many true #1 WRs out there. Certainly not 32 of them. Maybe 10-12, tops, and no team would trade a true #1 WR unless he was pulling a Jay Culter. Since the Giants lost one of the league's #1 WR, and have a few #2-3 WRs, trading to get a #1.5 WR (and there's not all that many of them either) to improve the passing game will be a good move.

I agree with this. Boldin is better then anyone they have on the current roster. As long as they aren't giving up to much to get him I am all for it.
Old 04-03-2009, 05:00 PM   #744
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
My last post on this .. from KC Joyner, the football scientist:

What I found is that while their overall yards per attempt totals (YPA) were equal and their vertical YPA quite similar, there was one area in which Fitzgerald was miles ahead of Boldin – YPA when facing tough cornerbacks. When Fitz faced an average or good corner in 2007 (good being defined as allowing a YPA equal to or less than 7.0 yards, average being between 7-9 yards), he posted a YPA of 8.7. Boldin, on the other hand, gained only 6.3 YPA. To put those in perspective, if a receiver posts an overall YPA of 8.7, he will typically rank in the top third of the league, while a YPA of 6.3 would typically rank in the bottom 10.

This is because they were used WAY differently. Passes to Boldin only averaged 6.8 per attempt in the air (94th in the NFL), but he was 2nd in the NFL in total yards after the catch and his 6.1 average after the catch was 5th in the NFL. Fitzgerald was able to see a large number of down the field passes because of Boldin and thus has a higher yards per attempt. (stats are from Football Outsiders)

Fitz is better than Boldin, but Boldin is definitely a number 1 receiver and Fitz's game would suffer if they Cards had to go with Breaston as a starter because he's another down the field target rather than a true compliment to Fitz.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 05:03 PM   #745
Danny
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs2 View Post
DT, what's worth more - another pick, or the ability to sign:

Springs
Taylor
Bodden
Baker
Galloway
Al Johnson
Banta-Cain

while they were still on the market. You can't look at the Cassel trade with blinders on, it needed to happen when it did. Is it Belichick's fault that more teams didn't get in on the bidding? If Cutler would have easily gone to Detroit or Tampa at that moment then where were Detroit and Tampa during this most recent Cutler trade?

This is a good point for why the NE trade was not a bad deal for them. Cutler is signed cheaply, but Cassell is making 14 million right now. Trading him cleared room for the Pats to make some signings.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 05:06 PM   #746
Danny
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs2 View Post
DT, what's worth more - another pick, or the ability to sign:

Springs
Taylor
Bodden
Baker
Galloway
Al Johnson
Banta-Cain

while they were still on the market. You can't look at the Cassel trade with blinders on, it needed to happen when it did. Is it Belichick's fault that more teams didn't get in on the bidding? If Cutler would have easily gone to Detroit or Tampa at that moment then where were Detroit and Tampa during this most recent Cutler trade?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiders Army View Post
That was the first game of the season against a corner who was still learning how to play man-to-man (and eventually got dumped). The other game at Denver he did horribly with Marshall and against a nobody named Chris Johnson.

Comp: 16
Att: 37
Comp%: 43.2
Yards: 204
Ave: 5.5
TDs: 0
INTs: 1
Sacks: 0
Sack Yds: 0
Rating: 49.8

Chris Johnson turned out to be a pretty damn good corner though.
Old 04-03-2009, 05:19 PM   #747
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Lance Moore for money and a 2nd round pick would be a good move for someone. Maybe even the Giants

Last edited by stevew : 04-03-2009 at 05:38 PM.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 06:39 PM   #748
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Re-watched the Raiders/Donkeys game week 12 again. I noted the following things:

1. Cutler consistently underthrew or overthrew his receivers. More often than not he underthrew.
2. The Donkeys' defense did well against the Raiders ineffective offense most of the game and can't be blamed for the loss.
3. Cutler is a whiny bitch and started complaining to the officials when he was tapped a few times (and I mean tapped, not tackled) in the first quarter, which led to two roughing the passer calls.

One game sample size and obviously not his best effort.

All that being said, he's played tremendously well for as young as he is.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 06:44 PM   #749
Danny
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiders Army View Post
Re-watched the Raiders/Donkeys game week 12 again. I noted the following things:

1. Cutler consistently underthrew or overthrew his receivers. More often than not he underthrew.
2. The Donkeys' defense did well against the Raiders ineffective offense most of the game and can't be blamed for the loss.
3. Cutler is a whiny bitch and started complaining to the officials when he was tapped a few times (and I mean tapped, not tackled) in the first quarter, which led to two roughing the passer calls.

One game sample size and obviously not his best effort.

All that being said, he's played tremendously well for as young as he is.

Despite his lackluster effort that week, I'm very happy the Broncos will be headed into 2009 with Orton, Simms or a rookie as their starting QB and not Cutler. I think the Raiders have a shot at 2nd place in the division now.
Old 04-03-2009, 07:21 PM   #750
Pyser
Pro Rookie

-Plex really didnt go out with a bang, did he?
-how did the giants cut plex? ready, aim, fired.
-whats the best way a defense can stop plex on the field? take the safety off.
-Plex's skills are tailor made for the run and shoot offense
-i heard burress will only sign with a team whose quarterback has a rifle for an arm
-i dont think burress expected the giants to pull the trigger so quickly
-the giants could cut burress because they already have his replacement in house: steve smith & wesson
-I think Plex has a good shot to catch on somewhere else
-its probably a good idea to keep plexico away from an offense that utlizes the shotgun
-its a real shot in the dark trying to guess where plex will sign
-best wr on the free agent market? plexico. he's number 1 with a bullet
-Maybe Plex should sign with the Colt (.45s)

i got bored writing my twitters. so what?
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote