Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 03:59 PM   #703
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by terpkristin View Post
I did pre-order white, though I won't be able to pick it up til tomorrow.

Anybody else here, other than SI, getting it? I think I'm going with the water starter, but if somebody else has druthers for it, if each of us has one of the types, we can breed to make that part of the dex easier to get...

/tk

I got Black with the SE guide for free since I did the Gamestop email deal ($15 for Pearl, $15 for Diamond, $25 for Soul Silver).

I will probably grab White with my $100 Target gift card I got from work (everyone gets one when you hit 5 years at the company).

I took the water starter as he seemed the most powerful. Already got my Victini, haven't imported the beasts/celebi for zorua/zororak yet tho. Up to 3 badges.
Chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 04:10 PM   #704
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

My favorite thing so far is that TMs are reusable like HMs now.
Old 03-07-2011, 07:43 PM   #705
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Wow.

Well, to round stuff out I guess I'll go fire starter. Picked up my copy of White today, going to start very soon. Anyway, since now there are at least one of us with each starter, we should be able to breed those to distribute to eachother...if you guys are up for that, of course. I really wish I could stay home tomorrow instead of going to work.

On another note, I'm probably going to be getting a 3DS at some point sooner than later, but I'm not in a hurry to pre-order unless there's some killer incentive for doing so.

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 08:10 PM   #706
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Awww now that I turned on the game, I'm sad I'm going fire. The water one looks like a panda and I like pandas.

/tk
Old 03-08-2011, 08:25 AM   #707
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubby View Post
My favorite thing so far is that TMs are reusable like HMs now.

I was surprised by that. I thought maybe it was just the TMs for gym leaders or something but all of them seems a little too powerful. Not complaining too much but I think it'll make things quite a bit easier.

Well, either that or they made the good ones nearly impossible to get- then that would just be frustrating

SI

Old 03-08-2011, 08:40 AM   #708
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by terpkristin View Post
Awww now that I turned on the game, I'm sad I'm going fire. The water one looks like a panda and I like pandas.

/tk

Why not just take the water one? I'm sure we'll have someone around here with the fire one sooner rather than later.

Plus, it's not like we'll be able to easily swap ones yet unless someone got a female starter (with is a 12.5% chance) because Dittos aren't readily available.

SI

Old 03-08-2011, 09:44 AM   #709
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

i'm probably going to start Black today just to make sure I download the mystery gift so I can get victini before i forget, i plan on doing the fire starter on black since that's my usual starter (tho i think he's weak this gen)
Old 03-08-2011, 09:46 AM   #710
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
I was surprised by that. I thought maybe it was just the TMs for gym leaders or something but all of them seems a little too powerful. Not complaining too much but I think it'll make things quite a bit easier.

Well, either that or they made the good ones nearly impossible to get- then that would just be frustrating

SI

after i finish main story we'll see if you can carry TMs with gen 4 and earlier pokemon into gen 5
Old 03-08-2011, 10:02 AM   #711
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I posted this over in Abe's dynasty and wanted to see what everyone thought:

I'm kindof having a hard time finding "permanent" Pokemon for my party. I tend towards ones with three evolutions to keep throughout the game and I'm just not seeing it. I just feel that in this game, with the levels of when things evolve- I think you're just meant to churn them to evolve to get their Pokedex entry- and then toss them aside for another similar one that pops up about the time you are getting attached to it.

(For the record, I'm in the large city right now with the 3rd gym)

Also, I hate that they didn't refine GTS. Make it so that you can only see trades for Pokemon you have. When I go looking for, say, a level 5 Oshawott, I only get to see 7 possible traders and I'm sure there are many out there. Could you kindly remove the stupid requests for a level 100 Mew, level 100 Moltres, level 9 or less Mewtwo, and level whocares Arceus from my game that is 5 hours old!!! I don't even have whatever they're calling the global Pokedex. Heck, mine might be 30 deep at most right now.

I could see someone who got a female starter, breeding some eggs and trading for, say, one of the Pan monkeys that they didn't get, if they didn't want to go searching in the forest for 30 minutes like I did to get all 3. But, sure, why put that trade in front of me when someone else is looking for a legendary from another game *sigh*

Also, the negotiating thing is similarly stupid, unfortunately. Everyone wants to offer up crap for great when both parties are bringing crap to the table.

SI

Old 03-08-2011, 10:14 AM   #712
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

I think part of the problem is all the starters are weak (compared to other gens), I think we're (and i certainly mean me) are spoiled in being able to trade over our faves from pearl/diamond/plat to hg/ss and having high leveled favorites early on instead of being stuck with using who we find. I don't mind this aspect as I get to enjoy the game more than plowing thru to the post-game stuff.

Sawk I got early on and is really a dominator for me
Old 03-08-2011, 01:35 PM   #713
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

Just relocated my Beast trio and celebi, off to get zorua and zoroark!
Old 03-08-2011, 06:45 PM   #714
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Ok, since I didn't get far anyway, I'm restarting, with the water starter.

/tk
Old 03-13-2011, 02:50 PM   #715
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Currently, I'm only at the desert resort, battling through there. I just got a fossil and the bike so I might go Pokemon breeding. On GTS, I've picked up a female Tepig so I could toss someone an egg, if they wanted.

I just did a back of the napkin sketch of my Pokemon and I think I'm going to kindof clear out and evolve the ones I have and work towards the following:

Servine - grass
STAB vs water, ground, rock
Weak to fire, ice, poison, fly, bug

Victini - fire, psychic
STAB vs grass, ice, bug, steel, fight, poison
weak to water, ground, rock, ghost, dark

Carracosta - water, ground
STAB vs fire, ground, rock, fire, elec, poison, steel
weak to elec, grass(4), fight, ground

Scrafty - dark, fight
STAB vs normal, ice, rock, dark, steel, psy, ghost
weak to fight, fly

Between those 4, I have STAB against everything except dragon and flying, which sounds like just tossing an ice beam on someone. Sure, it's not STAB but it's not like you need that with ice against a dragon anyways. Flying could actually give my group fits, but I'll be rotating out the other 2 spots, trying to evolve Pokemon and hopefully that will cover up any other deficiencies. I hate to use something like a Victini but, frankly, the fire Pokemon I have seen so far number at 2 (Pansear, Darumaka) so I think I might be out of luck, otherwise.

SI

Old 03-28-2011, 10:32 AM   #716
DataKing
Pro Rookie

So I finally got my hands on Pokemon Black and an old DS this weekend. Enjoying it thus far, though I haven't gotten to deep into it on account of all the basketball this weekend (if only the results of the Kansas-VCU game had been a bad Dreamyard sequence). As soon as I get far enough to get the WiFi set up I will post my friend code here. I picked Snivy as my starter. Not my favorite, but the GF took Oshawott and I figured Victini will fill the Fire role nicely once I get my hands on him. I will want to get my hands on a Tepig eventually though...lots of potential there I think as an Emboar.
Diablo III (BattleTag: DataKing#1685)
Allegiances:
Chicago Bears - Detroit Red Wings - Kansas Jayhawks
Awards:
2011 Golden Scribe - Other Sports Category (The Straight(away) and Narrow - A Forza Motorsport 3 Dynasty)
DataKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 10:42 AM   #717
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
Currently, I'm only at the desert resort, battling through there. I just got a fossil and the bike so I might go Pokemon breeding. On GTS, I've picked up a female Tepig so I could toss someone an egg, if they wanted.

I just did a back of the napkin sketch of my Pokemon and I think I'm going to kindof clear out and evolve the ones I have and work towards the following:

Servine - grass
STAB vs water, ground, rock
Weak to fire, ice, poison, fly, bug

Victini - fire, psychic
STAB vs grass, ice, bug, steel, fight, poison
weak to water, ground, rock, ghost, dark

Carracosta - water, ground
STAB vs fire, ground, rock, fire, elec, poison, steel
weak to elec, grass(4), fight, ground

Scrafty - dark, fight
STAB vs normal, ice, rock, dark, steel, psy, ghost
weak to fight, fly

Between those 4, I have STAB against everything except dragon and flying, which sounds like just tossing an ice beam on someone. Sure, it's not STAB but it's not like you need that with ice against a dragon anyways. Flying could actually give my group fits, but I'll be rotating out the other 2 spots, trying to evolve Pokemon and hopefully that will cover up any other deficiencies. I hate to use something like a Victini but, frankly, the fire Pokemon I have seen so far number at 2 (Pansear, Darumaka) so I think I might be out of luck, otherwise.

SI

which would be easy is ice bream weren't something you found post game grrrrr

sandile has been a great pokemon for coverage for me and i really liked the archetops (flying/rock) fossil.
Old 03-28-2011, 10:43 AM   #718
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

I'm currently in the process of moving all my pokemon from platinum into gen 5. i'm sorting my boxes by nat. dex # so it's taking a while
Old 03-28-2011, 11:12 AM   #719
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

BTW, that plan would have been great right before I realized Carracosta was water/rock and not water/ground so I'm having to improvise some. I could just go with the toad thing as it *is* water/ground but I like the turtle (well, at least his non-evolved form) and was wanting to keep using him

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 03-28-2011 at 11:12 AM.
Old 03-29-2011, 09:42 AM   #720
DataKing
Pro Rookie

Finally got far enough into the game last night to get my C-Gear up and running and my friend code:

0518-7176-7902

Feel free to add me to your friend lists, and to the post at the beginning of the thread. And for the record, I've got Pokemon Black.
Allegiances:
Awards:
2011 Golden Scribe - Other Sports Category (The Straight(away) and Narrow - A Forza Motorsport 3 Dynasty)
Old 03-29-2011, 09:45 AM   #721
DataKing
Pro Rookie

Dola. Just saw this posted on Bulbapedia. Looks interesting.

Online Eeveelution game to interact with Dream World - Bulbanews
Allegiances:
Awards:
Old 03-29-2011, 09:46 AM   #722
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DataKing View Post
Dola. Just saw this posted on Bulbapedia. Looks interesting.

Online Eeveelution game to interact with Dream World - Bulbanews

i got a leafeon, none of the eeveelutions really intrigue so i just went with the 1st one i got, hopefully the dream world opens up tomorrow/31st...
Old 03-29-2011, 09:55 AM   #723
DataKing
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubby View Post
i got a leafeon, none of the eeveelutions really intrigue so i just went with the 1st one i got, hopefully the dream world opens up tomorrow/31st...

According to other posts I've seen, Dream World has been delayed due to the disaster in Japan.
Allegiances:
Awards:
Old 04-07-2011, 09:27 PM   #724
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I found *and* caught my first ever shiny (except for game-based ones like red Gyarados). It was only a level 9 Basculin but considering the number of hours I've put into Pokemon and having never seen one out in the wild, I was pretty excited

SI

Old 04-08-2011, 09:40 AM   #725
DataKing
Pro Rookie

Sweet!
Allegiances:
Awards:
Old 04-12-2011, 10:03 AM   #726
DataKing
Pro Rookie

Looks like there's an event coming, and Global Link is set to open tomorrow:

Mystery Egg event coming stateside - Bulbanews

Global Link to launch April 13, according to official website - Bulbanews
Allegiances:
Awards:
Old 04-12-2011, 12:16 PM   #727
DataKing
Pro Rookie

I just finished (for now) with the desert resort, and my team looks like this:

Servine (Grass)
Tirtouga (Water/Rock)
Blitzle (Electric)
Victini (Fire/Psychic)
Sandile (Dark/Ground)
Timburr (Fighting)

I was using Palpitoad as my water-type, but just replaced him with Tirtouga since I already had ground-type on Sandile. This gives me DART against every type except Dragon. Blitzle's electricity is redundant at this point, so he will be replaced once I get my hands on an egg or I am in need of a utility-Pokemon.
Allegiances:
Awards:
Old 04-12-2011, 02:30 PM   #728
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

global link is up but super slow
Old 04-13-2011, 10:11 AM   #729
DataKing
Pro Rookie

So I got in last night. The Game Sync itself was pretty slow at first (I think it took about ten minutes to generate my code), but once I connected to the Dream World things went pretty smoothly.

I knew that Pokemon met on the Dream Island (or whatever its called) would have different abilities than their "normal" counterparts, but what I did not know is that some of them would come with different moves as well. Last night I befriended a Shinx that knows Magnet Rise. I am -seriously- considering adding it to my team, since Magnet Rise gives it the ability to be immune to its only elemental vulnerability for five turns.

I'm not sure if all Pokemon met in the Dream World come with different moves they can't normally get, or if I just got lucky...
Allegiances:
Awards:
Old 04-13-2011, 11:54 AM   #730
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
So I got in last night. The Game Sync itself was pretty slow at first (I think it took about ten minutes to generate my code), but once I connected to the Dream World things went pretty smoothly.

I knew that Pokemon met on the Dream Island (or whatever its called) would have different abilities than their "normal" counterparts, but what I did not know is that some of them would come with different moves as well. Last night I befriended a Shinx that knows Magnet Rise. I am -seriously- considering adding it to my team, since Magnet Rise gives it the ability to be immune to its only elemental vulnerability for five turns.

I'm not sure if all Pokemon met in the Dream World come with different moves they can't normally get, or if I just got lucky...

most all have different abilities, i'm not 100% if they all have different moves or not but i'mpretty sure most do
Old 05-15-2011, 02:15 PM   #731
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

I feel weird saying it, but I'm really not enjoying Pokemon White. I'd rather be playing Pokemon SoulSilver. Not sure what it is. Might be that I'm needing to grind right now and am finding that pretty annoying. I've got 5 badges.

I never use the C-gear, and I find it annoying that it is the mainstay of the bottom screen. I really prefer to just use my finger to open the menu I like instead of having to first hit X. I'm also kind of annoyed that they took away the "Use L button as A button" option, I used that a TON. I'd say I'm just bored with Pokemon, but since I'm actually going back to SoulSilver, I don't think that's it.

Weird.

/tk
Old 07-31-2011, 01:07 PM   #732
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Anybody with a 3DS that can tell me how to get onto the Nintendo eShop? Do I go to Club Nintendo and link it somehow? Or am I missing something?

/tk
Old 07-31-2011, 01:20 PM   #733
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Nevermind I figured it out. I think I may have found a system that's slower to update than the PS3...

/tk
Old 07-31-2011, 03:23 PM   #734
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

On another note the 3DS is getting a massive price drop. It will drop from $249.99 all the way down to $169.99 on August 12 in the US. Fear not if you purchased early(but you need to know this), Nintendo will be giving the early adopters(referred to as Ambassadors by the big N) 20 free games.

Here is more on the free games.

hxxp://ds.ign.com/articles/118/1184922p1.html
dubb93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 03:27 PM   #735
MJ4H
Coordinator

You have to log on to the eshop with your machine before the price drop to qualify for the $150 worth of free games (10 NES VC and 10 GBA VC games).
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 03:45 PM   #736
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I'm strongly considering picking up a 3DS at that price point. Or to get the games. Still deciding if I'm going to do one or the other or neither

SI

Old 07-31-2011, 07:38 PM   #737
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

I'm holding off until/unless they announce a new Advance Wars title exclusive to the 3DS platform...
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 07:47 PM   #738
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

And back off of the dark theme. Go back to the previous feel

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 07-31-2011 at 07:47 PM.
Old 08-09-2011, 09:12 PM   #739
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubb93 View Post

On another note the 3DS is getting a massive price drop. It will drop from $249.99 all the way down to $169.99 on August 12 in the US. Fear not if you purchased early(but you need to know this), Nintendo will be giving the early adopters(referred to as Ambassadors by the big N) 20 free games.

Here is more on the free games.

hxxp://ds.ign.com/articles/118/1184922p1.html

picked mine up at walmart for 169.96 tonight, it's charging now and will login in the morning to get my free games too
Old 08-31-2011, 05:00 PM   #740
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Posted in the video games thread, but putting it here too...

If you bought a 3DS early and activated the eShop before the price drop, you should be an Ambassador and can download the first 10 games...

You have to go to the shop, then go to "Settings/Other," then to "Your Downloads" and then you'll have the option to "re-download" all of your games.

Games are:
  • The Legend of Zelda
  • Metroid
  • Super Mario Bros.
  • Yoshi
  • Wrecking Crew
  • NES Open Tournament Golf
  • Donkey Kong Jr.
  • Balloon Fight
  • Ice Climber
  • Zelda II: The Adventure of Link
/tk
Old 08-31-2011, 07:56 PM   #741
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Wow- Added Zelda 2 and Metroid to go with Zelda and SMB. Nintendo wasn't mailing that one in

SI

Old 08-31-2011, 08:02 PM   #742
Atocep
Coordinator

I doubt it has held up well, but NES Open Golf was an amazing game for its time.

Impressive list of games.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 09:47 PM   #743
MJ4H
Coordinator

YES
Old 08-31-2011, 10:09 PM   #744
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I have all 10 games now on my 3DS

SI

Old 09-07-2011, 12:07 PM   #745
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Thread title now updated to be DS and 3DS thread

SI

Old 09-07-2011, 12:37 PM   #746
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Just finished 999 yesterday. Really enjoyed it and even played through it 5 times to get all the endings. I think there needs to be a specific order to get the most out of the story: knife, sub, axe, safe, actual ending. I pretty much did that tho I did safe before axe and I think that it made axe a bit of a letdown. I don't want to say much more about that because the story is so much of a big aspect of the game and I don't want to spoil it. I hate doing multiple endings but they were very accommodating with you being able to skip through text quickly for things you had already seen (if you hold "left" during text, it scrolls through quickly on scenes you had already played).

The puzzles were mostly pretty easy and it's just what I wanted for a game that I played mainly for the story- nothing was really challenging or frustrating but I did have a couple that I had to put down one night and figured it out the next day. Characters were interesting and the story was engaging and mostly wrapped up after beating the game tho I went to the developer's site and read the 70-ish question Q&A to fill in some minor gaps (and one major one from the closing scene).

It was a really fulfilling experience all around that I thoroughly enjoyed. However, as odd as this sounds- still only the second best title for the DS that starts with you waking up with a number on your extremities and wondering what the hell is going on (The World Ends With You is #1 with that criteria but I'd argue that as the #3 game for the DS behind NSMB and Mario Kart whereas 999 would "only" be top 10). Thinking on the list, boy, I'd have a hard time coming up with a top 25 for the DS. That library is so strong...

As an aside, the DS really is a great platform for the visual "book" or book+puzzle games: Phoenix Wright, Professor Layton, Hotel Dusk, Ghost Trick Phantom Detective, Trace Memory, etc. That's a genre you haven't seen many of and has roots back to the NES days (Shadowgate, Deja Vu).

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 09-07-2011 at 12:38 PM.
Old 09-07-2011, 01:20 PM   #747
DataKing
Pro Rookie

For anyone who still happens to be playing Pokemon Black and White, Zoroark will be available at Toys R' Us from September 18th to the 25th.
Allegiances:
Awards:
Old 09-07-2011, 03:42 PM   #748
MJ4H
Coordinator

Really enjoying playing through the original LOZ on my 3DS. Next up is Metroid for sure.
Old 09-07-2011, 03:54 PM   #749
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
For anyone who still happens to be playing Pokemon Black and White, Zoroark will be available at Toys R' Us from September 18th to the 25th.

This Zoroark knows Snarl which will be the only way to currently get that move
Old 09-07-2011, 04:21 PM   #750
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

NES Open Tournament Golf is quite good. I spent far too much time playing Lee Trevino's Fighting Golf at a friend's house during my adolescence and this game is definitely better.

I'm enjoying Devil Survivor: Overclocked right now, the characters and story are pretty good and the SRPG gameplay is challenging but not overly frustrating. The demon auctions and fusions are also fun to mess around with.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote