Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-14-2009, 10:05 AM   #701
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
You would then have a market full of your regular compliment of UFAs and RGAs and all of these formerly high-priced bought out players. So, you'd have more players than usual, but a lot less money to go around. Would guys be willing to take short term, small contracts? Would they head to the KHL to make their money?

The KHL has been having problems paying the players right now
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 10:06 AM   #702
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sak View Post
The KHL has been having problems paying the players right now

Tell that to Jiri Hudler and the Moscow Dynamo.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 10:10 AM   #703
DataKing
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Would they head to the KHL to make their money?

This.
Diablo III (BattleTag: DataKing#1685)
Allegiances:
Chicago Bears - Detroit Red Wings - Kansas Jayhawks
Awards:
2011 Golden Scribe - Other Sports Category (The Straight(away) and Narrow - A Forza Motorsport 3 Dynasty)
DataKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 10:14 AM   #704
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
It'd sort of remind me of my EHM career (before I edited the database), where you had all of these big name guys not in the league because there was simply no money left to sign them and they wouldn't accept smaller deals that could fit within anyone's cap or budget.

You still playing EHM? What year are you in now?

Quote:

A good example of a player who thinks he is worth more than he actually is. Hudler is decent, but not near worth what he wants to be paid.
RomaGoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 10:18 AM   #705
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
If the cap starts declining there are going to be a lot of teams besides the Flyers in cap trouble. Then you'll start having the trouble where teams could send players (without NMC) down to the AHL to free up cap space.

Agreed. To me, that article was about the NHL, not the Flyers, but thanks to the auto-naming of links it comes across like that. I actually meant to include a "Goodbye Wade Redden!" in there but forgot.

A hard cap + a declining cap could be really bad for even a mythically perfectly-run franchise. Make the best draft choices, they'll get paid more as time goes on, and eventually you'll be penalized for it.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 10:19 AM   #706
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Tell that to Jagr who stopped getting paid half way through the season last year.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nhl/story/9...27s-power-play

Last edited by Dr. Sak : 07-14-2009 at 10:20 AM.
Old 07-14-2009, 10:20 AM   #707
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaGoth View Post

I haven't really played it in over a year or so now. I forget what year I was in. 2011? 2012? Something like that.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 07-14-2009, 10:21 AM   #708
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Tell that to Jagr who stopped getting paid half way through the season last year.

Tough economy puts hurt on KHL's power play - FOX Sports on MSN

Tell Jagr to tell Jiri Hudler.
Old 07-14-2009, 10:22 AM   #709
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaGoth View Post

If we're talking freeware EHM (which I fire up now and then) and that sim speed, he's gotta be in AT LEAST 2006.
Old 07-14-2009, 10:22 AM   #710
Logan
Head Coach

They probably all communicate thru twitter anyway.
Old 07-14-2009, 10:26 AM   #711
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:

Tough economy puts hurt on KHL's power play - FOX Sports on MSN

I remember reading that. I don't think the KHL will ever be the huge threat to the NHL that some were speculating it would be. That said, if they were really having that kind of difficulty paying their players, why didn't so many players like Jagr, Radulov, etc. decide to come back to the NHL where at least they know their money is guaranteed?

The KHL will be far behind the NHL in terms of revenue and wont be able to keep up in the long term. That said, if there is a sudden cap squeeze like some were predicting what are the options for some of these guys? I don't predict a mass exodus of players to the KHL, but I think you'll likely see more guys "choosing" to go that route.
Old 07-14-2009, 10:34 AM   #712
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

I look at the KHL as a place for older players to make more $$. They won't see the money in the NHL (and longer termed contract) as they will in the KHL. The KHL benefits because of their name...Jagr, Federov, Kozlov. Plus most of them are Russian or Eastern European so being closer to home might benefit.

I doubt we see Canadians or Americans head over.
Old 07-14-2009, 10:41 AM   #713
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
I look at the KHL as a place for older players to make more $$. They won't see the money in the NHL (and longer termed contract) as they will in the KHL. The KHL benefits because of their name...Jagr, Federov, Kozlov. Plus most of them are Russian or Eastern European so being closer to home might benefit.

Agreed. How many young to prime of their career NHL players actually go overseas in the first place? Not very many, if any at all. I saw an article last week about the possibility of Alexei Morozov returning to the NHL, but his agent dismissed the rumors and said he will almost certainly stay there for the remainder of his career. I am sure the NHL will do fine without guys like Hudler, Fedorov, Kozlov, Jagr, and others. Especially since most of them are at the end of their career in the best of times.
RomaGoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 11:19 AM   #714
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:

I totally agree. I just think if you see a combination of (1) a steep cap decline in one year + (2) a glut of free agents +(3) no money to spend on them that will all = this trend shifting a bit, for at least for that one year.

Last edited by Honolulu_Blue : 07-14-2009 at 11:19 AM.
Old 07-14-2009, 12:16 PM   #715
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

My Way - Sports News

CHICAGO (AP) -The Chicago Blackhawks abruptly ousted general manager Dale Tallon on Tuesday, less than two months after the team he helped revive from the bottom of the standings reached the Western Conference finals.

Tallon, who was reassigned to senior adviser of hockey operations, was replaced by assistant GM Stan Bowman, the son of legendary NHL coach Scotty Bowman. The elder Bowman was hired last year as a senior adviser.

A clerical mistake may have hastened Tallon's departure. Last week, the NHL Players Association filed a grievance against the team, saying the Blackhawks missed the deadline for sending qualifying offers to restricted free agents. The Blackhawks ended up signing all their restricted free agents, including their top rookie from last season, Kris Versteeg.

Tallon denied that the administrative problem and grievance had caused the Blackhawks to overpay the restricted free agents.

Tallon, 58, has been a member of the organization for more 30 years, including five as a player and 10 in the front office. He was named general manager in June 2005 and under his guidance, the team drafted young stars Patrick Kane and Jonathan Toews, made trades for scorers like Martin Havlat and Patrick Sharp, and signed free agents Nikolai Khabibulin, Brian Campbell and Cristobal Huet.

Last season, the Blackhawks started drawing fans back to the United Center and advanced to the playoffs for the first time in seven years, losing to the Detroit Red Wings in the conference finals.

Earlier this month, the Blackhawks signed free agent Marian Hossa from Detroit to a 12-year, $62.8 million deal. Havlat, the team's leading scorer last season, was let go and he was signed by Minnesota.

"I have been with this organization in several different capacities since coming over as a player in 1973 and although my position has changed, my goals have not," Tallon said in a statement released by the team. "I've seen Stan come up through our ranks and I'm confident he is the right person to step in. This is what is best for the Chicago Blackhawks."

Bowman, 36, has been with the team for nine years, including two seasons as the director of hockey operations and four seasons as an assistant to the GM. He called the promotion an honor.

"We will not rest until we reach our goal of winning the Stanley Cup and establishing consistent success," he said.
Old 07-14-2009, 12:20 PM   #716
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
I remember reading that. I don't think the KHL will ever be the huge threat to the NHL that some were speculating it would be. That said, if they were really having that kind of difficulty paying their players, why didn't so many players like Jagr, Radulov, etc. decide to come back to the NHL where at least they know their money is guaranteed?

The KHL will be far behind the NHL in terms of revenue and wont be able to keep up in the long term. That said, if there is a sudden cap squeeze like some were predicting what are the options for some of these guys? I don't predict a mass exodus of players to the KHL, but I think you'll likely see more guys "choosing" to go that route.

Hasn't the economy of Russia (thanks to the drop in oil and mineral prices, along with the global near-meltdown) and the falling fortunes of Russian's wealthy kill what the KHL was going for?
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 01:04 PM   #717
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Martin Havlat is not happy about the Tallon firing:

http://twitter.com/martinhavlat
Old 07-14-2009, 01:09 PM   #718
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger View Post
Martin Havlat is not happy about the Tallon firing:

http://twitter.com/martinhavlat

Did he delete a post? I don't see anything other than him saying Tallon was like a 2nd father to him, and that this is 'the tip of the iceberg'.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 01:10 PM   #719
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
Did he delete a post? I don't see anything other than him saying Tallon was like a 2nd father to him, and that this is 'the tip of the iceberg'.

Yeah the mods got to him cause he linked to a suggestive image.
Old 07-14-2009, 01:13 PM   #720
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:

Well that seems cunty. HAVLAT LOST POSTS!!
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Old 07-14-2009, 01:28 PM   #721
Logan
Head Coach

Hope Ben isn't a hockey fan!
Old 07-14-2009, 01:28 PM   #722
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 01:35 PM   #723
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:

Those bastards.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 01:44 PM   #724
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Hope Ben isn't a hockey fan!

Ya, linking to twitter could get DD boxed!

That said, as long as wade moore doesn't tattle on him, I think he's safe, since it has long been established that black people don't like hockey.
Old 07-14-2009, 01:52 PM   #725
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Hell, if SD doesn't notice some of the recent posts in this thread on his own, I'll highlight them for him myself.

I'm not sure what part of "Further whining about this will result in punitive actions" isn't clear, nor do I get why someone would intentionally try to get themselves boxed by trolling instead of just leaving.
Old 07-14-2009, 01:54 PM   #726
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Hey Jon I was just making a joke. Ben can run his board however. But go ahead and tattle if it makes you feel better about yourself.

Last edited by Dr. Sak : 07-14-2009 at 01:57 PM.
Old 07-14-2009, 01:57 PM   #727
MikeVic
Head Coach

LOL. FOFC has been stale lately, glad to see some fun times are still to be had.
Old 07-14-2009, 01:57 PM   #728
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Hey Jon I was just making a joke. Ben can run his board however. But go ahead and tattle if it makes you feel better about yourself.
You forgot to add "Go Flyers!"

Last edited by Maple Leafs : 07-14-2009 at 01:58 PM.
Maple Leafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 01:58 PM   #729
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs View Post
You forgot to add "Go Flyers!"

Shit thanks! Go Flyers!
Old 07-14-2009, 01:59 PM   #730
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

EDIT: Well, never mind if people are going to go about making our NHL thread all serious and stuff

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 07-14-2009 at 02:01 PM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 02:03 PM   #731
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Hey Jon I was just making a joke.

One I'd call ill-advised at best, especially since it opened the door for more trolling. I'd prefer this thread not end up locked because a few people couldn't manage to play it smart.
Old 07-14-2009, 02:03 PM   #732
Logan
Head Coach

There's some talk that Zherdev will ask for $5 million in arbitration.

Zero points and like 4 shots in the playoffs.
Old 07-14-2009, 02:04 PM   #733
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
EDIT: Well, never mind if people are going to go about making our NHL thread all serious and stuff

SI

Yeah god forbid we make jokes...hell we still let Maple Leafs talk and his team has been a joke for years.
Old 07-14-2009, 02:05 PM   #734
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
There's some talk that Zherdev will ask for $5 million in arbitration.

Zero points and like 4 shots in the playoffs.

Scottie Upshall wants 3 to 4 million a year. Sorry Scottie.
Old 07-14-2009, 02:19 PM   #735
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
One I'd call ill-advised at best, especially since it opened the door for more trolling. I'd prefer this thread not end up locked because a few people couldn't manage to play it smart.

Lighten up, Francis.

I still seriously want to understand the Havlat thing. What did he tweet that was so newsworthy?
Old 07-14-2009, 02:25 PM   #736
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:

Only YOU can prevent forest fires!
Old 07-14-2009, 02:25 PM   #737
MikeVic
Head Coach

So are there any "good" FA left?
Old 07-14-2009, 02:28 PM   #738
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I still seriously want to understand the Havlat thing. What did he tweet that was so newsworthy?

I gather it would be his comments today combined with his earlier remarks about

"It's coming. What happened will be told soon.8:18 PM Jul 8th"
"Didn't leave them...they left me.10:50 PM Jul 3rd "
"There's something to be said for loyalty and honor.8:08 PM Jul 1st"

Combine that with Scotty Burnside's take on the real reason behind the firing -- basically screw his successes, Tallon just wasn't McDonough's guy -- and that leaves me to think that Havlat is trying to point the finger for his leaving Chicago directly at McDonough & hopes that the fans will be looking for the team prez's head.
Old 07-14-2009, 02:33 PM   #739
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
I gather it would be his comments today combined with his earlier remarks about

"It's coming. What happened will be told soon.8:18 PM Jul 8th"
"Didn't leave them...they left me.10:50 PM Jul 3rd "
"There's something to be said for loyalty and honor.8:08 PM Jul 1st"

Combine that with Scotty Burnside's take on the real reason behind the firing -- basically screw his successes, Tallon just wasn't McDonough's guy -- and that leaves me to think that Havlat is trying to point the finger for his leaving Chicago directly at McDonough & hopes that the fans will be looking for the team prez's head.

Meh, must be a slow news day. A bunch of foreshadowing is all I see, wake me up when the guy says something meaty.
Old 07-14-2009, 02:35 PM   #740
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
Only YOU can prevent forest fires!

Lol!

I don't think I've ever seen such a feistyness from MV before. We should take away the Alizee thread and see what happens!
Old 07-14-2009, 02:43 PM   #741
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
We should take away the Alizee thread...

Don't even joke about that. It's not funny. Ever.
Old 07-14-2009, 02:46 PM   #742
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Lol!

I don't think I've ever seen such a feistyness from MV before. We should take away the Alizee thread and see what happens!

Hey hey hey, don't do something you'll regret now!
Old 07-14-2009, 02:47 PM   #743
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
So are there any "good" FA left?

I think Tanguay is about it.
Old 07-14-2009, 02:51 PM   #744
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:

Do people think he might still go to Detroit? Or... Edmonton? Or it's all pretty up in the air...
Old 07-14-2009, 02:52 PM   #745
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Do people think he might still go to Detroit? Or... Edmonton? Or it's all pretty up in the air...

I don't think anyone really thought he'd end up in Detroit. He's sort of out their price range. Even without Hudler, the Wings only have about $1.6 million in cap space.

I heard that he was talking to Florida and before that Phoenix. Edmonton seems as likely as any place as well, I suppose.
Old 07-14-2009, 03:18 PM   #746
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Zubov?
Old 07-14-2009, 06:03 PM   #747
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Guess it depends on the definition of good-

Comrie, Bertuzzi, Robert Lang at forward. Maybe Sundin.

Seidenberg, Morris, Skoula are all #4/5 types

Biron still out there.
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 09:31 AM   #748
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Here's the best of what's left:

Tanguay--Sundin- Sykora
Williams -Lang--Afinogenov
Pyatt-Malhotra-Satan
Bertuzzi-Betts-Grier

Extras? Your choices. Perrin, Niedermeyer, Comrie, Hinote, Shanny, Moore.

Defense:
Seidenberg-Schneider
Morris-Bergeron
Alberts-Zubov

Goaltenders:
Fernandez
Gerber
Legace
Biron
Old 07-15-2009, 11:04 AM   #749
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I was digging through some old emails and found some of my impressions from the 2001 Prospect Tournament. A friend and I went up there for a few days to watch some games. It was an absolute blast. Unfortunately, we haven't been able to make it back there since. This year all of the games are during the week, so a weekend trip up north wont work.

This is unedited. And, I have to say, over all my impressions of players doesn't seem any less random than any NHL scout seems to be able to formulate, though these are all guys who have already been drafted or invited as free agents.

The Wings Prospect team has just finished their third, and best, game of
the prospect tournament here in Traverse City. The team looked really
sharp tonight, downing the St. Louis Blues 4-1. Pavel Datsyuk dominated
the game tonight. He was in the middle of everything. He intercepted
countless number of passes (St. Louis really had a hard time getting out
of their own zone in this game) and made a number of great, shifty little
plays to get around opposing players. I think he had two assists and
created a number of good scoring chances. He did not seem to shy away
from the physical side of the game. I dont't know if he's ready for the
NHL, but he's easily been one of the most impressive prospects throughout the tournament this far, on any team.

Besides Datsyuk's dominance in tonight's game, Chad LaRose looked very
good, using his speed to score two goals. Groulx got a power-play goal on
a nice shot from the point. And Greg Jacina got a nice looking goal
thanks to a great pass from Datsyuk.

The game also turned out to be a physical affair as well. Forward Jason
Baird fought Brett Lutes four seconds into the second period (it looked
like Lutes tripped him right before the face-off and Baird was ticked).
Ryan Barnes fought Brent Scheffelmeir along the boards. Barnes handled
himself ok against the 6'6" monster that is Scheffelmeir. During that
fight, Brad Voth and Wings' defensemen Jeff Feniak went at it. Feniak
getting the worse of the exchange. Ryan Barnes fought Craig Weller near
the end of the game and did quite well it seemed. All in all it was a
good, intense game which was more or less dominated by the Wings.
Several players of note (other than Datsyuk) include...
Chad LaRose (winger). This kid got two goals tonight. He has some great
wheels and a decent scoring touch. He's a bit undersized, but seems to
have a good motor and played very well along side Datsyuk. He could
develope into a speedy-grinding type of player.

Paul Ballantyne (D). He's looked really good out there so far. He
definitely seems to want to do it all: score, play soild defense, etc.
Because of this, he has gotten caught out of position a number of times,
but has made some spectacular defensive plays as a result (hurrying back
to break up two on ones or foil a break away, etc.) He has decent size
and seems to make smart plays. He looked good last year, but has clearly
been one of the Wings' best players in this year's tournament and by far
their best d-man.

Steve Groulx (D). He's played pretty well. He has a nice offensive
upside and plays with a bit of an edge. He's been manning the point (with
Ballantyne) on Detroit's number one power-play unit. He's had some
defensive lapses and tends to get caught out of position a few times. He
got a nice power-play goal from the point in tonight's game.

Ryan Barnes (Winger). He's been decent. He got a goal in the first game.
Definitely a grinder. He has good physical upside and has dropped the
gloves a couple of times so far. He has made some good hits and is strong
in front of the net.

Tomas Kopecky (Winger). He's a tall rangy kid. He was great in last
year's tourney, but hasn't shown much this year. He had one nice goal in
the first game, but he's been pretty invisible save that.

Brian McGrattan (Winger). While he has pretty much no chance making the team, I have to mention him. He's a big, physical winger who backs down from no one. He's gone up against each team's "goon" in each game and those are some big fellas. He almost scored a goal tonight. He doesn't
skate all that well, but has made a number of big hits. He knocked one of
the St. Louis players unconcious right as the buzzer sounded at the end of the game. Mean Streak? Oh yes.

Drew McIntyre (Goalie). He played in Detroit's first game. He looked
really shaky. He couldn't handle rebounds and let a couple of bad goals
in. Nick Pannoni (goalie) another of Detroit's draft picks this year
played pretty well tonight against St. Louis. He wasn't tested too much,
as Detroit dominated most of the play, but he was solid when called upon.
Other highlights from the tournament:

Atlanta:
Ilya Kovalchuk has looked good, but hasn't put points on the board. He's
the fastest player here and has some great moves, but I am not sure if
he's trying to do too much on his own or what, but he's been all flash and
no show on what looked to be a highly talented Atlanta squad. Danny Heatley has looked pretty good, but Atlanta, at 0-2, has been the disappointment of the tourney. Libor Usturnul, a big defensemen playing for the Plymouth Whalers now, has also looked pretty good.

St. Louis:
Tonight they looked god AWFUL. They are 2-1 in the tournament. Forward
Jay McClement (their 2nd round pick) has looked very good. They also have a giant back on the blueline, Brent Scheffelmeir, who has played decently. He has great size and has played pretty physical, strong along the boards, good hits, some fights, so far. He's definitely a few years away, but may have a future. Brad Voth, a big forward, who was here last year looks to be one of the most improved player here. He seems to be skating well and has made some big hits. He put the beat-down on Wings' defensemen Jeff Feniak tonight.

Nashville:
I haven't had a chance to watch too much of this team. Their games have
always been opposite Detroit's. I should get a decent look tomorrow.

Minnesota:
Winger Kyle Wanvig looks like the real deal. Toronto really lost out when
their fax machine broke down at the deadline. He's got good size, a mean
streak, some good speed, and good hands. The Wings couldn't contain him
during their game against Minnesota. I wouldn't be too surprised to see
Wanvig in the NHL either this year or next, especially considering
Minnesota's lack of skill upfront. Steve Velieux, a center, has looked
really good as well. He's got some decent size and is a force along the
boards. Defensemen Travis Roche the "thinking man's defenseman" has been solid. He's the team's Captain and has played like it, showing great
poise and a bit of an offensive touch. Derek Boogeard, a 6'6", 250 lbs.
monster of a winger has been entertaining. He can't skate, pass or shoot
really. He loves to try to hit, but he usually just crashes into the
boards (much like a young Keith Primeau). Against St. Louis he went to
check a defenseman along the boards. The defenseman ducked and Boogaard shattered the glass and went flying out of the rink onto the floor below.

Columbus:
It's tough to figure out who is who as the roster in the program is all
wrong and they don't have names on their jerseys. Kiel McLeod (a big
rangy centerman) who was taken in the second round last year has looked
really good. He's solid on his skates and has scored a few goals. He
could have a future in a few years in the NHL. Trevor Ettinger, like Brad
Voth of St. Louis, is a big tough kid who has showed signs of improvement.

He's moving better this year and has had some good hits, but like other
big fellas, he's looking to make it into the NHL via his fists. It's a
dying role, really, but still has a place on some teams.

As for Datsyuk. He has looked very good. He's a shifty play-maker who
has seems to have good hockey sense. He was always in passing lanes and interdcepted a number of passes which led to good scoringe chances. He was also very good in traffic. Will he be the next Fedorov? Yzerman? I
really don't think so. He seems to be more of a play-maker than a
goal-scorer and lacks size and some speed. He could be a decent second or third line center some day though.

Barnes wont be able to replace LaPointe. He's no where near as strong as
Marty is and doesn't have that blistering shot He is definitely a hustler
and grinder and has a good physical edge, but I wouldn't look for him to
score 20 goals in a season. He is a bit undisciplined and has had
concussion problems in the past.

Other Notes:

Ilya Kovalchuk and Dan Heatly looked /very/ good for Atlanta today. I
wouldn't be surprised to see both of them in the NHL at some time this
year.

Detroit will play either Minnesota, Atlanta or Nashville tomorrow for
either fifth or third place. I am not sure how it all works, but Columbus
is 3-0, St. Louis is 2-1, and Atlanta, Nashville, Minnesota and Detroit
are all 1-2.
Old 07-15-2009, 01:47 PM   #750
bhlloy
Coordinator

Nice... a Brad Voth sighting. Now playing for my hometown Cardiff Devils in the UK (for the last 3 or 4 years I think) Very popular guy and a great enforcer/team player.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote